View Full Version : Frank Wilson to McNeese State

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 09:37 AM
McNeese (FCS – LA):McNeese has announced former UTSA head coach Frank Wilson as their new head coach.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

FormerPokeCenter
January 16th, 2020, 10:59 AM
BeBe Orgeron rocks!

This hire doesn't happen without him. This guy could EASILY have gone back to LSU as an assistant, particularly with the departure of Joe Brady. I don't have any inside information, but there's no freaking way this happens without Orgeron's influence, and - somehow - miraculously, we found some fairly serious HC money. I suspect that there might be an LSU influence there, too, but that's just me scattershot riffing.

This guy was the National Recruiter of the year in FBS...I think this is a solid get. I just hope we keep him longer than we kept Gilbert. I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a lot of LSU's offense make it's way to McNeese next year. Whether or not we have the kids to run it is a different story....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wilson_(American_football)

WestCoastAggie
January 16th, 2020, 11:57 AM
BeBe Orgeron rocks!

This hire doesn't happen without him. This guy could EASILY have gone back to LSU as an assistant, particularly with the departure of Joe Brady. I don't have any inside information, but there's no freaking way this happens without Orgeron's influence, and - somehow - miraculously, we found some fairly serious HC money. I suspect that there might be an LSU influence there, too, but that's just me scattershot riffing.

This guy was the National Recruiter of the year in FBS...I think this is a solid get. I just hope we keep him longer than we kept Gilbert. I'm just guessing here, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a lot of LSU's offense make it's way to McNeese next year. Whether or not we have the kids to run it is a different story....

It shouldn't matter if he doesn't have the kids to run anything close to what LSU did right now. With his recruiting connections, he'll pull in the talent he needs to win. He reminds me a little bit of FAMU's Willie Simmons. Unfortunately for SU and the SWAC, recruiting LA, TX and landing FBS transfers just became that much harder.

Daytripper
January 16th, 2020, 11:57 AM
BeBe Orgeron rocks!

Quality hire. Congrats to you guys for pulling a legit coach this late.

ASU33
January 16th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Great hire. Frank has deep ties across the state and can recruit his arse off.

Outsider1
January 16th, 2020, 01:05 PM
Good hire Cowboys!

cx500d
January 16th, 2020, 05:09 PM
McNeese (FCS – LA):McNeese has announced former UTSA head coach Frank Wilson as their new head coach.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Wow, from that link, here you go Sam Houston:

"Oklahoma Panhandle State (NAIA – OK): OPSU is currently seeking a guarantee football game for August 29, September 5, or September 12 2020. Preferably an FCS opponent. If interested please contact Dylan Swarers at [email protected]."

If not, maybe one of the SWACs

Daytripper
January 17th, 2020, 06:27 AM

"Oklahoma Panhandle State (NAIA – OK): OPSU is currently seeking a guarantee football game for August 29, September 5, or September 12 2020. Preferably an FCS opponent. If interested please contact Dylan Swarers at [email protected]."

We rotate our cupcakes on a three year cycle...xsmhx

BEAR
January 17th, 2020, 11:15 AM
We rotate our cupcakes on a three year cycle...xsmhx

Do you have two DIIs next year?

Panther88
January 17th, 2020, 11:52 AM
It shouldn't matter if he doesn't have the kids to run anything close to what LSU did right now. With his recruiting connections, he'll pull in the talent he needs to win. He reminds me a little bit of FAMU's Willie Simmons. Unfortunately for SU and the SWAC, recruiting LA, TX and landing FBS transfers just became that much harder.

Not so much, WCA. We're not concerned w/ Wilson in the La or Tx corridor. We'll hold our own w/ our drawing power(s).

Seems to me that if he couldn't win the recruiting battles w/ talent rich centex at his doorstep, how will he win @ Mac w/ SU, Grambling, & nicholls st recruiters knocking on the "star'd" kids' doors? Not to mention other coaches in neighboring states w/ deeeeeeeeeep La roots also banging on those same doors.

Panther88
January 17th, 2020, 11:54 AM

Won't be PVAMU. We have TCU, LaTech, and NWStU as our OOC games fall 2020.

McNeese75
January 17th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Not so much, WCA. We're not concerned w/ Wilson in the La or Tx corridor. We'll hold our own w/ our drawing power(s).

Seems to me that if he couldn't win the recruiting battles w/ talent rich centex at his doorstep, how will he win @ Mac w/ SU, Grambling, & nicholls st recruiters knocking on the "star'd" kids' doors? Not to mention other coaches in neighboring states w/ deeeeeeeeeep La roots also banging on those same doors.

I just left the introductory press conference for Coach Wilson. I think he will do just fine in the recruiting area.

McNeese72
January 17th, 2020, 07:45 PM
I just left the introductory press conference for Coach Wilson. I think he will do just fine in the recruiting area.

Can't remember an introductory press conference in the past that was that impressive!!

Doc

Panther88
January 17th, 2020, 11:57 PM

We'll see when the rubber hits the pavement. The 3 ut-sa folk I spoke w/, of whom one was recruited and played for dude, laughed at your hire and referred to him as an "abysmal loser."

McNeese75
January 18th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Now you sound like the local beat writer. Take three fan opinions from the former team and think that means something. Meh

GreenGlasses
January 18th, 2020, 11:46 AM
So the McNeese State fans are happy with this hire. Good recruiting at LSU yes, but then again take a look at the advantage in recurring there.

Now lets take a look at his time at UTSA

2016 6-7, lost the New Mexico Bowl (Recruiting Ranking in CUSA - 9th)
2017 6-5, No Bowl (Recruiting Ranking in CUSA - 3rd)
2018 3-9, Not Bowl Eligible (Recruiting Ranking in CUSA - 7th)
2019 4-8, Not Bowl Eligible (Recruiting Ranking in CUSA - 10th)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avg 4 years 5-7, 1 Bowl In 4 Years, (Recruiting Ranking in CUSA - 7th)

Wilson might be a great P5 assistant but as the head man its very questionable. Im also probably guessing right that it is easier to recruit to San Antonio and the Alamo Dome than it is to Lake Charles and Cowboy Stadium.

McNeese75
January 18th, 2020, 02:06 PM
To answer your question, Yes, the McNeese fans (based on the attendance at the press conference yesterday) are very happy with this hire. We will see how this translates to success on the field but based on the APR situation Lance Guidry left us in and the quick exit by Gilbert it appears to be an excellent hire.

The local newspaper today has quotes from the following regarding their respect and appreciation for Coach Wilson from a personal perspective:

LSU head coach Ed Ogeron
Jeremy Hill, former RB for Patriots and Bengals
Jarvis Landry, WR for Cleveland Browns
Tyrann Matthieu (The Honey Badger), Kansas City Chief Safety
Leonard Fournette, RB Jacksonville Titans
Nate Gains, UTSA defensive back
Kliff Klingsbury, Arizona Cardinals head coach.
Lane Kiffen, Ole Miss Head Coach

I think I will take the word of the above over "The 3 ut-sa folk I spoke w/, of whom one was recruited and played for dude"

Just my opinion but I think it is shared across Cowboy Nation.

Regarding the comment on ease of recruiting to the Alamo Dome vs Lake Charles. The facilities here in LC are top notch. I am not so sure about UTSA.

Panther88
January 19th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Now you sound like the local beat writer. Take three fan opinions from the former team and think that means something. Meh

Right. Totally forgot you and he were reared as life-long brothers together so you lnow his potential better than the one he recruited and played for during 4 years as well as the other 2 who saw dude come and mercifully leave at the fbs gig. Meh is correct xlolx. Too funny.

POD Knows
January 19th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Can't remember an introductory press conference in the past that was that impressive!!

DocOK, you get a 1 or 2 year waiver for sandbagging while the coach settles in, after that it is penalty.

McNeese75
January 19th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Right. Totally forgot you and he were reared as life-long brothers together so you lnow his potential better than the one he recruited and played for during 4 years as well as the other 2 who saw dude come and mercifully leave at the fbs gig. Meh is correct xlolx. Too funny.

Still trolling I see (this, and speaking in riddles is all you really do). Tell us more about this "one he recruited" and what he accomplished over 4 years he supposedly played. I don't know FW personally but based on the comments from those who do (see previous post) I think I will rely on their opinions.

We are happy with the decisioin. You can carry on with your BS. Your beloved Panthers won the same number of games as McNeese this past year but lost to the two SWAC teams McNeese beat and a big win over Edward Waters. McNeese will be fine. Maybe you should be looking at that coaching staff.

cx500d
January 19th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Still trolling I see (this, and speaking in riddles is all you really do). Tell us more about this "one he recruited" and what he accomplished over 4 years he supposedly played. I don't know FW personally but based on the comments from those who do (see previous post) I think I will rely on their opinions.

We are happy with the decisioin. You can carry on with your BS. Your beloved Panthers won the same number of games as McNeese this past year but lost to the two SWAC teams McNeese beat and a big win over Edward Waters. McNeese will be fine. Maybe you should be looking at that coaching staff.
im surprised pva&m didn’t get a playoff invite then... sounded like they had some quality wins, and some quality losses

FormerPokeCenter
January 19th, 2020, 09:18 PM
We'll see when the rubber hits the pavement. The 3 ut-sa folk I spoke w/, of whom one was recruited and played for dude, laughed at your hire and referred to him as an "abysmal loser."

P88 may be onto something here. If there's anything that PVA&M fa ns are experts at, it's abyssmal losing...

This may be the one thing that P88 can comment dispositively on..

Panther88
January 19th, 2020, 11:22 PM

lol Sensitive in more ways than one. Whatever... fella’. Stay on task. Your horrible hire is what is being discussed at lsu-west.

Panther88
January 19th, 2020, 11:25 PM
P88 may be onto something here. If there's anything that PVA&M fa ns are experts at, it's abyssmal losing...

This may be the one thing that P88 can comment dispositively on..

Focus, if possible lol, and speak on the “great” hire of a proven fbs hc by ‘n’cheese.

Panther88
January 19th, 2020, 11:27 PM
im surprised pva&m didn’t get a playoff invite then... sounded like they had some quality wins, and some quality losses

Are you the male or female entity in your relationship w/ mac’n? Seriously. Which one are you claiming today? xconfusedx xlolx lol

SITTDAB lol

McNeese72
January 20th, 2020, 08:42 AM
Whether it is a great hire for McNeese or not will be determimed in the next 2 or so years. Right now his hiring does have the McNeese fanbase excited more so than the hiring of Coach Gilbert did.

Doc

McNeese75
January 20th, 2020, 08:47 AM
lol Sensitive in more ways than one. Whatever... fella’. Stay on task. Your horrible hire is what is being discussed at lsu-west.

ahhhh a deflecting troll xcoffeex

FormerPokeCenter
January 20th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Focus, if possible lol, and speak on the “great” hire of a proven fbs hc by ‘n’cheese.

Hell,. It even Larry Coker, coach of the greatest college football team in History, with all due respect to LSU, could Excel. At UTSA. They're woefully underfunded....

Panther88
January 20th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Whether it is a great hire for McNeese or not will be determimed in the next 2 or so years. Right now his hiring does have the McNeese fanbase excited more so than the hiring of Coach Gilbert did.

Doc

Finally. Common sense and intelligence from a Mac product.

The others... “mehhhhh” smgdmfh

Panther88
January 20th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Hell,. It even Larry Coker, coach of the greatest college football team in History, with all due respect to LSU, could Excel. At UTSA. They're woefully underfunded....

Coker inherited talent and won the title @ The U. His subsequent teams coupled w/ his then staff, “meh.” Hence why he’s still the hc at that spiraling program.

Every school except txa&m-b/cs is woefully underfunded when compared to the cash cow in aus, tx.

Panther88
January 20th, 2020, 11:09 AM
ahhhh a deflecting troll xcoffeex

“ahhhhhh” stop talking about yourself & responding emotionally. Want a PV thread of discussion, start one. It’s just that easy. smh

Otherwise... <<<<<<FOCUS>>>>> “former fbs hc w/ losing record; hired at fcs school w/ less resources; “

McNeese75
January 20th, 2020, 11:12 AM
“ahhhhhh” stop talking about yourself & responding emotionally. Want a PV thread of discussion, start one. It’s just that easy. smh

Otherwise... <<<<<<FOCUS>>>>> “former fbs hc w/ losing record; hired at fcs school w/ less resources; “

I think everyone on this board knows who the troll is here.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 11:44 AM

What thread could possibly talk about something as irrelevant as PV football, except maybe longest losing streaks in NCAA football history

McNeese72
January 20th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Yes, he has tailgated with us for a game and is really a nice guy in person.

Doc

Panther88
January 20th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Doc

Don't save them, Doc. Let them be themselves and show EXACTLY who they are. :)

- - - Updated - - -

What thread could possibly talk about something as irrelevant as PV football, except maybe longest losing streaks in NCAA football history

If you ride Mac any harder I swear you will end up birthing twins at the rate you're going. lol Geeeeeeez man pretend to show some pride.

Panther88
January 20th, 2020, 12:09 PM

Mad... who? I'm not responding emotionally; that would be you in your feels. xconfusedx

I question the hire of an obvious losing coach w/ the pedigree of "dude" and it sends you and a few others who are NOT backing you, in case you didn't notice, in their feels. (Art) Briles is the definition of a pedigree of a proven fbs-winner/builder of champions. Just ensure that there are no young women on campus and no cameras to catch the uncontrolled carnage some of his recruits will bring. lol

Speaking w/ facts or speaking emotionally?

McNeese75
January 20th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Mad... who? I'm not responding emotionally; that would be you in your feels. xconfusedx

I question the hire of an obvious losing coach w/ the pedigree of "dude" and it sends you and a few others who are NOT backing you, in case you didn't notice, in their feels. (Art) Briles is the definition of a pedigree of a proven fbs-winner/builder of champions. Just ensure that there are no young women on campus and no cameras to catch the uncontrolled carnage some of his recruits will bring. lol

Speaking w/ facts or speaking emotionally?

No emotion here Dude. Just tired of your pot stirring on every thread you comment in. I imagine you are a nice guy in person and i know you are well educated. But the way you write on here, JFC, The Chicken at least makes sense when He posts.

FormerPokeCenter
January 20th, 2020, 04:10 PM

Doc

That doesn't prove anything. Hell, you guys let ANYBODY tailgate with you....I mean, come on...you guys even let ME tailgate with you!

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 05:49 PM

Doc
Is he coherent in person?

Panther88
January 21st, 2020, 07:13 AM

The epitome of a very ugly troll ^^^^^^. This guy offers no constructive criticsm or input; constantly takes verbal shots at SLC schools; attempts comedic relief but actually fronts his ignorance; ... I feel sorry for the mirror in his diggs lol.

Why is he here in this thread? He has no vested interest in Mac sports. He certainly doesn’t comprehend the culture and balance in this region because he is NOT a native part of it smh. xlolx

McNeese72
January 21st, 2020, 08:06 AM

Yes.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
January 21st, 2020, 10:15 AM
So I watched the Frank Wilson introductory presser. I like him. He understands who McNeese is and what's possible there. More importantly, he understands the monetary constraints and he's focused on the kids, and it doesn't appear that he's already looking for his next job.

Gilbert might have been the perfect choice for an interim coach...He had a high profile, but he wasn't a Louisiana guy and didn't understand how to relate to people from South Louisiana. You have to be able to interact with the fans at McNeese. I think this guy's gonna get butts back in the seats...McNeese is better when Cowboy Stadium is loud.

GAD
January 23rd, 2020, 08:46 AM
From what I'm hearing McNeese just got a really good RB commit

FormerPokeCenter
January 23rd, 2020, 08:52 AM
Any Details?

McNeese75
January 23rd, 2020, 01:45 PM
Any Details?

From Zems Gems

JOSH PARKER COMMITS
Josh Parker of state runner-up Catholic High has been on my radar since McNeese had offered him back on December 7. However, an in-home visit by Kerry Joseph of SLU and offers from Alcorn St. and Lamar clouded the picture. Parker is a big steal for the Pokes at this point in the recruiting race. He follows Clyde Edwards-Helaire as a short, compact, change of direction, power back for the Bears. Parker won the prestigious Warren Dunn Award as MVP of the Baton Rouge Area.

Parker runs 4.6 and has benched 225 pounds

BEAR
January 23rd, 2020, 01:49 PM
From Zems Gems

JOSH PARKER COMMITS
Josh Parker of state runner-up Catholic High has been on my radar since McNeese had offered him back on December 7. However, an in-home visit by Kerry Joseph of SLU and offers from Alcorn St. and Lamar clouded the picture. Parker is a big steal for the Pokes at this point in the recruiting race. He follows Clyde Edwards-Helaire as a short, compact, change of direction, power back for the Bears. Parker won the prestigious Warren Dunn Award as MVP of the Baton Rouge Area.

Awesome for the Cowboys! xbowx

BEAR
January 23rd, 2020, 02:25 PM
McNeese (FCS – LA): Source tells FootballScoop new head coach Frank Wilson has let all of the assistant coaches go with the exception of Landon Hoefer. Hoefer, who coached running backs this past season, has been at McNeese six seasons, coaching quarterbacks and receivers in the past.

McNeese72
January 23rd, 2020, 03:15 PM
McNeese (FCS – LA): Source tells FootballScoop new head coach Frank Wilson has let all of the assistant coaches go with the exception of Landon Hoefer. Hoefer, who coached running backs this past season, has been at McNeese six seasons, coaching quarterbacks and receivers in the past.

Old news. We are now awaiting for news of any new assistant coaches. We possibly have a young LB coach that was at UTSA but so far that is the only rumor of new coaches.

Doc

GAD
January 23rd, 2020, 04:51 PM
From Zems Gems

JOSH PARKER COMMITS

This kid is GOOD blocks has great hands and tough as they come

McGeaux
January 24th, 2020, 04:25 PM
On FB Scoop
McNeese (FCS – LA): Sources tell FootballScoop Frank Wilson is bringing much of his staff from UTSA to McNeese. Wilson offered the defensive coordinator role to Jason Rollins (his DC at UTSA); but Rollins is hoping to land a head coaching position with a Texas high school (hear he has a strong shot at Beaumont United). Deron Wilson is expected to coach defensive backs and Will Thomas is expected to coach linebackers. Gary Hyman is likely to coach tight ends. As we reported when Frank was hired, he is retaining Landon Hoefer from the prior staff. Will update when more is clear.

PAllen
January 26th, 2020, 08:27 AM
On FB Scoop
McNeese (FCS – LA): Sources tell FootballScoop Frank Wilson is bringing much of his staff from UTSA to McNeese. Wilson offered the defensive coordinator role to Jason Rollins (his DC at UTSA); but Rollins is hoping to land a head coaching position with a Texas high school (hear he has a strong shot at Beaumont United). Deron Wilson is expected to coach defensive backs and Will Thomas is expected to coach linebackers. Gary Hyman is likely to coach tight ends. As we reported when Frank was hired, he is retaining Landon Hoefer from the prior staff. Will update when more is clear.

Is a HC gig in Texas HS FB really better than a DC slot at McNeese?

Wildcats
January 26th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Youd be amazed what TX High School football coaches can make. Obviously they work their butts off in season but in the offseason and summer theyre mostly a figurehead for the school and delegate duties out to the assistants to carry out while they take care of administrative and behind the scenes stuff. So they probably work a less than a college coach and make a comparable salary to an FCS coordinator.

Edit: Actually according to this article a High School head coach would make a lot more than an FCS coordinator heck even as much or more than an FCS head coach. I realize this article is a few years old but wow. I never knew coaching salaries were that low at that time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/amp/Lamar-increases-football-coach-staff-payroll-3546047.php

FormerPokeCenter
January 26th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Rollins is a former McNeese player and coach. He's originally from just north of Beaumont. There may be reasons other than money for his interest in Beaumont..

GAD
January 27th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Any Details?
I played catch with Josh "Joystick" Parker once I stood about 25 yards away and he caught every pass I threw with his hands.
He was 4 years old at the time he had not even started school yet

Professor
January 28th, 2020, 09:40 AM
McNeese (FCS – LA): The school has announced a change in leadership at the director of athletics post. Bruce Hemphill had served as the director of athletics since 2013, and will now serve as a special adviser to the president during the search for a new director of athletics. Tanner Stines, senior associate athletics director for administration and operations will serve as interim athletic director.

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2020, 10:11 AM
McNeese President Dr. Daryl Burckel, is a former team captain, All-SLC linebacker and conference defensive MVP. He won the Spirit of Independence Award at the 1980 Independence Bowl. The guy's been serious at everything he's ever done and he's done all of it well, including being a professor and a dean at the University. He's had the top job at McNeese for three years and in that time, we've hired Heath Schroyer as the head basketball, Sterlin Gilbert and Frank Wilson as head football coaches.

I have no doubt he's gonna make a similar hire for the AD slot. He loves McNeese....he was a ridiculously undersized middle linebacker from the New Orleans Catholic League and McNeese was the one place who offered him despite the size. Even they question whether or not he'd be able to play in college, so he looked at then head coach Dr. Jack Doland and asked him if Doland would feel better if his eyes were two inches higher on his forehead? It was a great line and they signed him and he's had a love affair with McNeese ever since.

5'9 middle linebackers who earn all conference and beat out LSU players for All Louisiana honors are kinda rare.

The background info is to flesh out his level of commitment to the school. Personally, and I don't have any inside information, I see the moves he's making since taking over as getting the chess pieces aligned for an eventual move up. He's focused and driven and committed to excellence.... even if a move up doesn't come, he's gonna make McNeese the best that it can possibly be...both in academics and athletics. He's making similar moves on the academic side of the house.