August 11th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Posted - 08/11/2005 : 11:12:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Furman's Football Forum / Part of a thread about
Furman's QB Ingle Punting

What do you guys think????

Read the rest at http://www.theuffp.com/forum/topic.aspTOPIC_ID=9364
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I am wondering about the wisdom of having Ingle as our #1 punter for one, and only one reason. Last season he did pooch kicks that were mostly not returned. This season he is going to do it all it seems. Once the ball leaves his foot he bcomes a defender.

What's to prevent some opposing team from "headhunting" him and taking him out with a vicious but legal block? Does he run off the field after he punts it giving us only 10 defenders during the return (no, that's not a facetious question, but a legitimate option in my opinion)? Are my concerns overblown?

Some of you a little more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the game help me out here. I just don't want to see us lose Ingle to an injury, and I do believe that someone on an opposing team would be willing to risk a 15-yard penalty to take him out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UGADIN
Equipment Manager

Posted - 08/11/2005 : 11:28:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well UT and several other schools recruited Ingle to play safety. He also played slot receiver as a freshman, primarily because he would go over the middle. He played three years of safety and punter in high school. He is plenty durable and can deliver quite a lick himself. The real question is, why is he not kicking field goals.

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Martin punted from the shotgun last year (pooch kicks) on third and long fourth and short. Bo Moore back up QB did the rest of the punting. He did what I will call a "veer" punt. He did not punt straight on. Ran a little to the right to avoid the rush. I am not sure if this is how Martin will punt.

I am more concerned about him being fair game after the punt. I know others don't agree, but considering his importance to the team it is a little scary.

Cocky
August 12th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Martin punted from the shotgun last year (pooch kicks) on third and long fourth and short. Bo Moore back up QB did the rest of the punting. He did what I will call a "veer" punt. He did not punt straight on. Ran a little to the right to avoid the rush. I am not sure if this is how Martin will punt.

I am more concerned about him being fair game after the punt. I know others don't agree, but considering his importance to the team it is a little scary.

That would worry me also. He can demoralize a defense real quick causing the desire for revenge.

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM
The positve is on almost every punt, the return team will have to be ready for FU to go for it. It is still skeery.

colgate13
August 12th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Lehigh, if I remember correctly, did that two years ago. If Ingle is capable (and it sounds like he was at SS) I say let him go for it. Injuries happen a lot when players start going half ass; let him go full speed all the time and he'll be better for it.

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Lehigh, if I remember correctly, did that two years ago. If Ingle is capable (and it sounds like he was at SS) I say let him go for it. Injuries happen a lot when players start going half ass; let him go full speed all the time and he'll be better for it.

Can we borrow your punter on fourth and long :)

Paladin05
August 12th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Can we borrow your punter on fourth and long :)

What many of the Furman fans on THE UFFP don't understand is that Ingle is head and shoulders above any other punter we have. He needs to be punting because he is our best option there(may be one of the best in the league). The UFFPers like to have things both ways. They complained late last year about our special teams costing us games....well, coach is obviously going to try to use some talent to make a difference in that area this season.

While there is a small risk of injury, putting Martin on the field 4-5 extra plays isn't significant. Also remember that last year Furman gave up just 31 yards...yes, 31 total yards on punt returns all year!! If Martin gets the hang time he gets in practice, Furman fans will see a lot of fair catches.

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM
What many of the Furman fans on THE UFFP don't understand is that Ingle is head and shoulders above any other punter we have. He needs to be punting because he is our best option there(may be one of the best in the league). The UFFPers like to have things both ways. They complained late last year about our special teams costing us games....well, coach is obviously going to try to use some talent to make a difference in that area this season.

While there is a small risk of injury, putting Martin on the field 4-5 extra plays isn't significant. Also remember that last year Furman gave up just 31 yards...yes, 31 total yards on punt returns all year!! If Martin gets the hang time he gets in practice, Furman fans will see a lot of fair catches.

Good info.

PS, I would not consider myself a Uffp'er but I do like to have my cake and eat it too. :)

blueballs
August 12th, 2005, 09:46 AM
He punted some at UF and did just fine. He's a great athlete and can take care of himself. He's probably no more at risk for injury in punt formations as he is as a QB. For me it would be a non-issue.

catbob
August 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
1. Paul Ernster, Northern Ariz. 11 69 3174 46.00 6.27
2. David Simonhoff, Southeast Mo. St. 11 55 2413 43.87 5.00
3. Ryan Hoffman, Illinois St. 12 46 1996 43.39 3.83
4. Brian Claybourn, Western Ky. 11 64 2758 43.09 5.82
5. Mike Mellow, Maine 11 61 2627 43.07 5.55
6. Kyle McQuown, Idaho St. 11 62 2663 42.95 5.64
7. Eric Hernandez, Prairie View 11 51 2154 42.24 4.64
8. Damon Miller, Florida A&M 11 50 2108 42.16 4.55
9. Travis Lulay, Montana St. 11 63 2648 42.03 5.73

Our QB is an alright punter :)

AndrewFU21
August 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
A couple of things:

1- Furman's opponents only returned 11 punts last year
2- Players can get hurt on any play, and even in practice and such
3- A good coach puts the ball in the hands of his best players as much as possible
4- While it is smart to be cautious when nessecary, one who is scared of injuries should be playing a different sport.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Ingle Martin is a big, tough dude and it would take quite a shot to take him out. If he can withstand the ferocious pass rushes around the SoCon (as he also did in his SEC days), I think he can withstand punting. Bobby Lamb said at the SoCon football rouser that Martin is an NFL prospect as a punter. Having him punt this season is not only a potential weapon for the Paladins (as if they really needed any more), it also enhances his draftability in the NFL next spring. I could see the right NFL team keeping him as a second, or third string quarterback in 2006 and also letting him handle the punting, sort of like Tom Tupa used to do. A move like that that could save someone a roster spot would make Martin very, very valuable. By the way, one of the best punters in the history of football was Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh, who also wasn't too shaby as a passer.