PDA

View Full Version : JMU Assistants Depart to FBS Programs

Derby City Duke
January 15th, 2020, 08:34 AM
JMU has two coaching vacancies as two assistants are departing for jobs at the FBS level.

Safeties coach Ryan Smith is leaving for Virginia Tech.

The three safeties with the most playing time accumulated 169 tackles, 8 TFL, 1.5 sacks 17 PBU and 9 INTs

Defensive tackles coach Andrew Jackson is heading to Old Dominion.

Our starting DTs combined for 109 tackles, 24 TFL, and 9 sacks

Wishing them best of luck, though it will be interesting to see how long Smith stays at Virginia Tech -- apparently Baylor is targeting VT HC Justin Fuente.

Professor Chaos
January 15th, 2020, 09:31 AM
That's too bad since I'm assuming they both only spent one year at JMU as I thought Cignetti brought in an entirely new staff. But it's the reality of the coaching world at this level (and at all levels to some extent). I'd rather have my team hiring coaches that aspire to climb the ladder since they tend to get the most out of their players.

Professor
January 15th, 2020, 10:45 AM
The nature of College Football

Derby City Duke
January 15th, 2020, 12:07 PM
That's too bad since I'm assuming they both only spent one year at JMU as I thought Cignetti brought in an entirely new staff. But it's the reality of the coaching world at this level (and at all levels to some extent). I'd rather have my team hiring coaches that aspire to climb the ladder since they tend to get the most out of their players.

Yes, they were 1-year guys; Houston took the entire staff with him to Greenville last year. As long as we don't have the coordinators moving in/out through a revolving door, I think we will be able to deal with the turnover.

Will be interesting to see who the new guys are.

As an aside, I'm still on the fence about Cignetti. Saw too much of a Mickey Matthews pattern with him during lots of games.

caribbeanhen
January 15th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Yes, they were 1-year guys; Houston took the entire staff with him to Greenville last year. As long as we don't have the coordinators moving in/out through a revolving door, I think we will be able to deal with the turnover.

Will be interesting to see who the new guys are.

As an aside, I'm still on the fence about Cignetti. Saw too much of a Mickey Matthews pattern with him during lots of games.

Give you Rocco for Cignetti in a Delaware minute

Derby City Duke
January 15th, 2020, 02:35 PM
Give you Rocco for Cignetti in a Delaware minute

Let me think about tha...nah 🤪

Lorne_Malvo
January 15th, 2020, 04:02 PM
JMU has a football team? Who knew.

Derby City Duke
January 15th, 2020, 04:03 PM
JMU has a football team? Who knew.

A troll’s gotta troll 😁