PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh opens camp in 'excellent shape'

ngineer
August 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Pete Lembo was gushing Wednesday as Lehigh finished it's first full workout. Over 50 players stayed on campus this summer and everyone reported in excellent shape making practice time more efficient without having to spend as much time on getting 'into' shape. Tis very hot and humid in the Lehigh Valley right now--heat index reaching near 100. But camp has started out on the 'right foot'---no political comment meant :D

Pard94
August 12th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Pete Lembo was gushing Wednesday as Lehigh finished it's first full workout. Over 50 players stayed on campus this summer and everyone reported in excellent shape making practice time more efficient without having to spend as much time on getting 'into' shape. Tis very hot and humid in the Lehigh Valley right now--heat index reaching near 100. But camp has started out on the 'right foot'---no political comment meant :D

Maybe they'll be able to stand up to the punishing ground attack of Lafayette this year? Or maybe the Leopards are just in there heads at this point... ;)

colgate13
August 12th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Serious question (I do not mean to take sides):

For the Leopards, is there any background talk/scuttlebutt or mention of the fact that Lafayette hasn't been able to beat Lehigh two years in a row since 1988-89? I mean, with this series, save a stretch in the 90s, hasn't it gone back and forth most of the time? Given that history, wouldn't the safe bet be on Lehigh winning at home this year?

Do you think that is being used as a motivational tool at all or is in the back of the minds of players? I mean, and I haven't written my write up yet on Lafayette, the two biggest things I think the Leopards have going against them this year are both historically related: not being able to beat Lehigh two years in a row and Biddle never losing to them.

That is not of course to say that both CAN happen, and you can come back here in the fall and rag my ass about it if it does happen, but both of those facts are weighing significantly on my view of the upcoming season. Could Lafayette really get BOTH of those monkeys off their back to win the whole thing for a second year in a row? That is one of my biggest questions of the season.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Serious question (I do not mean to take sides):

For the Leopards, is there any background talk/scuttlebutt or mention of the fact that Lafayette hasn't been able to beat Lehigh two years in a row since 1988-89?... Do you think that is being used as a motivational tool at all or is in the back of the minds of players?

I'm not sure anything involved with Lehigh/Lafayette needs to be brought up as a motivational tool. If you saw the disappointment on the Lehigh faces last year going into the locker room, you know that the coaches probably didn't even need to bring it up. It's just there, in the air, all the time.

Here's an even better one for you, 13.... The Leopards have only beaten Lehigh at Goodman ONCE in their history, in 1989. Talk about monkeys...

DaGriz
August 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Where does Lehigh open camp if the Eagles are at Lehigh?

colgate13
August 12th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Here's an even better one for you, 13.... The Leopards have only beaten Lehigh at Goodman ONCE in their history, in 1989. Talk about monkeys...

:doh:

I will remember that one in my write up!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Where does Lehigh open camp if the Eagles are at Lehigh?

There are a few different fields next to the practice fields where the Eagles are practicing. Our sports complex is actually quite big and can easily accomodate both Lehigh's practice and the T.O. soap opera.

Funny to think T.O. may be staying in my old dorm room... :cool:

colgate13
August 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Funny to think T.O. may be staying in my old dorm room... :cool:

Your dorm room was in Moorestown, N.J.?

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/images/content/eagles/081005-owens_situps.jpg

(what a dope...)

Fordham
August 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM
... and with #1 and #2 still to go, I do believe that 13 just gave us a lil' bit of the old foreshadowing. Pards, prepare yourselves!

LFN - in the I-A (AA) transfers thread there was a small discussion about Hatchell (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hatchell_john01.html),
General: After sitting out 2004 season as a transfer from Lehigh heads into fall camp as starting defensive tackles ... Expected to be a huge factor for the Minutemen along defensive front ... Strongest player on the team who can bench press nearly 500 pounds ... Excellent inside presence ... Intimidating specimen.
a Lehigh transfer that is starting for UMASS on the D-line. He sounds like a stud and that seems like a pretty big loss. I understand he's been gone for a year, so you did fine without him, but to what extent would you say this hurt your Dline? Just interested since I wasn't aware of him until that thread.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM
... and with #1 and #2 still to go, I do believe that 13 just gave us a lil' bit of the old foreshadowing. Pards, prepare yourselves!

LFN - in the I-A (AA) transfers thread there was a small discussion about Hatchell (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hatchell_john01.html),
a Lehigh transfer that is starting for UMASS on the D-line. He sounds like a stud and that seems like a pretty big loss. I understand he's been gone for a year, so you did fine without him, but to what extent would you say this hurt your Dline? Just interested since I wasn't aware of him until that thread.

He's the strongest player on Umass's team according to his bio on umass's website. I remember the name but don't recall him playing much. I figure the loss of DC Gilmore following the 2003 season and the presence of Royce Morgan might have led to his transfer.

Umass74
August 12th, 2005, 01:16 PM
John Hatchell redshirted at Lehigh in 2002.

Played in two games as a Redshirt freshman for Lehigh in 2003. Made two tackles.

Sat out last year at UMass because of lateral transfer. He will have two years eligibility for us. His brother Jason Hatchell had surgery for a torn ACL in the Spring. John Hatchell should start at DT for us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
John Hatchell redshirted at Lehigh in 2002.

Played in two games as a Redshirt freshman for Lehigh in 2003. Made two tackles.

Sat out last year at UMass because of lateral transfer. He will have two years eligibility for us. His brother Jason Hatchell had surgery for a torn ACL in the Spring. John Hatchell should start at DT for us.

Must have been a medical redshirt in 2002 since Lehigh doesn't redshirt players just gain a 5th year.

colgate13
August 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Must have been a medical redshirt in 2002 since Lehigh doesn't redshirt players just gain a 5th year.

No Patriot League team does, so yes, it had to have been a medical. I was thinking the same thing... ;)

RichH
August 12th, 2005, 03:22 PM
He was also strongest on LU squad but was not going to start altho it appeared that he would be in the rotation even tho not listed on 2 deep.