PDA

View Full Version : McNeese St coach resigns

Laker
January 12th, 2020, 08:07 PM
Why is he leaving after just one year? Going to Syracuse.

https://collegead.com/mcneese-state-university-44/

BEAR
January 12th, 2020, 08:32 PM
He stated he got tired of walking up that dizzying ramp on the way back to the Fieldhouse after every time he finished practice or a game xlolx

Also said the food was too hot down there in Lake Charles. xthumbsupx

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2020, 08:48 PM
9 jobs since 2010. Bad look son.

FormerPokeCenter
January 12th, 2020, 08:51 PM
Yeah, for all his talk about La Familia, he sure doesn't put down any roots...

Thanks for your service Sterlin. Good luck in your future endeavors, however short they may last.

PAllen
January 13th, 2020, 12:00 AM
Pay differential would be my guess. Also, a successful OC at 'cuse has a better shot at a P5 HC gig than a successful HC at McNeese. Just saying, the next step in the progression from FCS HC is either G5 HC of P5 coordinator.

McCowboys
January 13th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Pay differential would be my guess. Also, a successful OC at 'cuse has a better shot at a P5 HC gig than a successful HC at McNeese. Just saying, the next step in the progression from FCS HC is either G5 HC of P5 coordinator.

Just my opinion, but he may be best suited to just always be a coordinator rather than a head coach. He is not personable. He is not good interacting with fans and booster clubs. In the fall out of his leaving and at such a horrible time, I've not read anywhere from any McNeese fan "He was such a nice guy" or "We are really going to miss him." He may be good with the X's and O's, but he is lacking in some people skills. If he took the McNeese job knowing he wouldn't like it or that he would leave as soon as he could, then he is some names that I do not want to use on a public forum.

Mocs123
January 13th, 2020, 08:23 AM
That stinks for McNeese to loose a coach in the middle of January. It will also stink for whomever they poach thier new staff from at this juncture.

McNeese72
January 13th, 2020, 09:20 AM
The safest most logical thing, in my opinion, to do right now with the awful timing (recruiting or otherwise), is to hand over the keys to DC Jim Gush and give him a year to show what he can do. But who knows what will happen.

Doc

Derby City Duke
January 13th, 2020, 09:21 AM
Sucks for the athletes and the rest of the staff. You think they will hire from within to minimize the turmoil?

Professor
January 13th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Guess he doesn't want to be on probation

FormerPokeCenter
January 13th, 2020, 09:35 AM
The safest most logical thing, in my opinion, to do right now with the awful timing (recruiting or otherwise), is to hand over the keys to DC Jim Gush and give him a year to show what he can do. But who knows what will happen.

Doc

Are we talking about the same institution???? Because if we are, I don't think there's any sort of historical precedence for doing the most logical thing...but, you've been around longer than me...so perhaps I missed something????? ;)

McNeese72
January 13th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Sucks for the athletes and the rest of the staff. You think they will hire from within to minimize the turmoil?

From what I hear a lot of the players are wanting Gush.

Doc

McCowboys
January 13th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Guess he doesn't want to be on probation

Most likely it was the money he can make at Syracuse and the chance to be reunited with Babers. Someone said his girlfriend was moving to NY. Gilbert knew before he was hired that the APR was a problem due to the former coach. Credit him for boosting this year's McNeese football APR to the highest in several years.

McCowboys
January 13th, 2020, 09:45 AM
From what I hear a lot of the players are wanting Gush.

Doc

Someone posted a comment on Zem's blog that Gush said he wasn't interested. ?
The TE coach is not listed on the coaching staff now and is probably packing for Syracuse.

McNeese75
January 13th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Maybe a "Varsity Blues" scenario where the players take over and coach themselves xeyebrowx

FormerPokeCenter
January 13th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Well...the quarterback IS an Orgeron...so...

McCowboys
January 17th, 2020, 09:01 AM
He was announced Thursday as the head coach at McNeese (don’t you dare call it McNeese State) of the Southland Conference in FCS. https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/16/frank-wilson-lands-as-head-coach-at-fcs-mcneese/