PDA

View Full Version : "NCAA plans to rethink rules for I-A status"

aries75
April 19th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Back in January, a link to the following article in USA Today was posted on the old board:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-01-11-attendance-alternative_x.htm

It was about the NCAA weighing different options on rules for I-A membership. At the time, people were speculating that it could mean the end of I-AA, mainly because of this bit:

One option: erase the I-A designation. Classify current I-A and I-AA schools as Division I, as basketball and every other sport does, and let television and other marketplace influences determine which are big-time and which aren't.

It's now April and those NCAA meetings have taken place...so which decisions were made, and what would be their potential impact on the future of I-AA?

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM
My understanding that these moves passed and need one more vote to become official by-laws or what not of the NCAA. I could be wrong though, but I think all of this was passed when they passed the 12 game deal just a few weeks ago.

arkstfan
April 19th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Meeting has not passed, it's not scheduled until April 28th.

putter
April 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
If they get rid of the I-AA designation, is that the end of the NC?

GannonFan
April 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
If they get rid of the I-AA designation, is that the end of the NC?

On that note, does that mean that everyone's number of titles will go back to zero? Must know!

Paladin1aa
April 19th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Status quo - no more I-AA name.

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2005, 04:05 PM
On that note, does that mean that everyone's number of titles will go back to zero? Must know!

No one's titles will go back to zero. They'll just say (formerly known as the I-AA Championship). Titles never go away and since we all know it'll be I-AA, there's no way they could take it away.