PDA

View Full Version : Your team's most amazing comeback

JMG1MON
May 28th, 2007, 12:02 AM
With the most heartbreaking loss thread going, I thought it would be a good time to remember the games that you should have lost but came back from nowhere to win the game.

For Monmouth, it has to be the 2004 Robert Morris game. Monmouth gives up the lead with 23 seconds left in the game to trail 27-23. RMU squib kicks and Monmouth takes over at its own 37. Incomplete pass on first down. On second down, Monmouth completes a 31 yard pass to keep its hopes alive for one last throw. On the final play, Boland throws one into the endzon, gets tipped by Miles Austin, into the hands of our wideout to win the game 29-27. My only regret is that I was in AC at the time and couldn't hear the play by play.

X-Factor
May 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM
NDSU was down 24 - zip at halftime last fall @ UC Davis. NDSU won 28-24.

It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds though. We moved the ball well in the first half but couldn't punch it in a couple time along the goal line. The second half was a different story altogether though :D

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 01:27 AM
2005 SIU or EWU, Texas St games stand out

CopperCat
May 28th, 2007, 01:29 AM
October 25, 2003 #10 NAU at MSU

MSU was playing NAU. We were down by 10 after a Paul Ernster field goal with just over two minutes to go. Travis Lulay took the Cats down the field for 6 (extra pt was good) and the lead was trimmed to 3. The pending onside kick was executed PERFECTLY and Corey Smith recovered (I was sitting on the student side right on the 35 yard line, and I have NEVER seen an onside kick recovery as pretty as that one). With about a minute left to go, Lulay again takes the team down the field after passes to Scott Turnquist. Lulay dives over the pile for 6 (extra point good) and the Cats lead by 4, 17-21.

That is probably the best two minutes of football I will ever see.

CrunchGriz
May 28th, 2007, 02:02 AM
From an article reminiscing about former coach Don Read, about a game in 1993:

"The Dave Dickenson era was launched in astounding style. Down 38-7 to South Dakota State in the third quarter of the opener, the sophomore quarterback [came in off the bench and] spurred the greatest comeback in Division I-AA history to win 52-48."

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 02:09 AM
From an article reminiscing about former coach Don Read, about a game in 1993:

"The Dave Dickenson era was launched in astounding style. Down 38-7 to South Dakota State in the third quarter of the opener, the sophomore quarterback [came in off the bench and] spurred the greatest comeback in Division I-AA history to win 52-48."

That's rediculous.

SiouxFallsJack
May 28th, 2007, 02:24 AM
The most amazing comeback I can think of was beating Cal Poly last year. After trailing 28-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter in the final 8 minutes, we scored 3 touchdowns(successful on 2 2pt conversions), with the final score coming with a minute left to win 29-28.

The sad part was I had given up and headed to the bar at the end of the 3rd quarter and did not find out till later.xoopsx

Tribe4SF
May 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM
For W&M it was the 2004 Quarterfinal against Delaware. Down by 21 entering the 4th quarter, the Tribe came back and won 44-38 in 2OT.

In the second OT, W&M scored first, but All-America PK Greg Kuehn hit the left upright with the PAT. He had made 99 consecutive PATs til then. Delaware's final possession featured two penalties that extended their drive, as well as a 4th and 13 pickup of a first down. With a first and goal from the nine, the Tribe held for 5 plays, and came away with the win.

Runnerup would be the 44-41 2OT win at Northeastern in 2005, which was played in a monsoon that claimed several lives that day around Boston. Down 31-10 entering the 4th quarter, Jake Phillips was inserted at QB as the sun suddenly appeared, and proceeded to complete 18 of 20 for 256 yards and 4 TDs. He also rushed 9 times for 32 yards, including the game winning 8 yard TD run in the second OT.

Pictured is Payton Award winner Lang Campbell engineering the comeback against Delaware.

813Jag
May 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM
For Southern it has to be the 1999 Bayou Classic. It was a drama filled season as both teams were undefeated in conference play and a bid for the first SWAC championship was on the line (due to the crazy way the SWAC standings were set, only divisional games counted). Grambling came out like a house on fire lead by former Southern QB Lionel Hayes, by halftime the score was 31-10. Now I know that's not the largest margin to trail by, but in this game the emotion and momentum was firmly with the Tigers. Add to that point our QB went out with a dislocated hip xeekx In the second half the Tigers drove down the field and faced a fourth and goal. Rather than kick the field goal, they threw a deep pass into the end zone and the WIDE OPEN WR dropped the pass. After that point, I've never heard the Superdome get so loud. It seemed that everything shifted and the Jags won 37-31. What a game! :D

Mr. C
May 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
NDSU was down 24 - zip at halftime last fall @ UC Davis. NDSU won 28-24.

It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds though. We moved the ball well in the first half but couldn't punch it in a couple time along the goal line. The second half was a different story altogether though :D

I would have thought you would have had the 25-24 win over Montana at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in there. Wasn't Montana up 24-0 in that game?

Gil Dobie
May 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I would have thought you would have had the 25-24 win over Montana at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in there. Wasn't Montana up 24-0 in that game?

The Montana game would be on the list. The fact that NDSU that year was not as good of team as the 2006 Bison probably makes it a better comeback.

X-Factor
May 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM

haha, I am sure Montana fans will be happy to know I actually FORGOT about that one. Thx for reminding me. :D

Gil is probably right, the 2003 Bison were not nearly as good as 2006 so that probably puts it at the top.

Yosef_grrl99
May 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
This takes a while to download but it's worth it. xnodx

http://www.barthle.com/streamingroot/flash/asu_football/furman2002/4q_2pt_gamewinner.htm

aust42
May 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
For W&M it was the 2004 Quarterfinal against Delaware. Down by 21 entering the 4th quarter, the Tribe came back and won 44-38 in 2OT.

In the second OT, W&M scored first, but All-America PK Greg Kuehn hit the left upright with the PAT. He had made 99 consecutive PATs til then. Delaware's final possession featured two penalties that extended their drive, as well as a 4th and 13 pickup of a first down. With a first and goal from the nine, the Tribe held for 5 plays, and came away with the win.

Runnerup would be the 44-41 2OT win at Northeastern in 2005, which was played in a monsoon that claimed several lives that day around Boston. Down 31-10 entering the 4th quarter, Jake Phillips was inserted at QB as the sun suddenly appeared, and proceeded to complete 18 of 20 for 256 yards and 4 TDs. He also rushed 9 times for 32 yards, including the game winning 8 yard TD run in the second OT.

Pictured is Payton Award winner Lang Campbell engineering the comeback against Delaware.

Right back at ya. Delaware and W&M have played several close games over the years. I cut-n-paste this via "BigR" from the Gohens.net site because it my favorite comeback and on the same topic.

Oct 8, 1988
UD 38 vs. W&M 35
The "James Anderson" game. (Wide Receiver)
UD get's out to big lead (21-0), W&M catches up, then see-saw until W&M scores with 32 seconds left to take a 35-31 lead. FG won't help. Mr. Anderson takes over, eventually scoring with 5 seconds left. BUT, after the TD, UD gets called for unsportsmanlike conduct (for the team burying JA in a celebratory pile). Kick-off from our 20, hearts in throats. Returner tackled - game over!

James Anderson caught three huge passes including the winning TD catch on that drive at Delaware stadium.

bjtheflamesfan
May 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
For me it would be Liberty vs VMI October 4, 2003. Liberty lost the week prior to Youngstown State (that was the game where LU was on a roll then there was a lightning delay and YSU dominated the rest of the night). Liberty was down 28-3 going into the 4th quarter. I was with the percussion section in teh band putting our gear away, and I said to somebody. "wouldn't it be amazing if we came back and won this game." Sure enough, not long after I said that Eugene Goodman scored teh first of his 4 fourth quarter TDs. We were hustled back to the stands, and Liberty scored 28 unanswered points, including the game winning TD (and ensuing 2 pt conversion) with 10 seconds left to beat VMI 31-28. The students rushed the field after that one.

catbob
May 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
October 25, 2003 #10 NAU at MSU

MSU was playing NAU. We were down by 10 after a Paul Ernster field goal with just over two minutes to go. Travis Lulay took the Cats down the field for 6 (extra pt was good) and the lead was trimmed to 3. The pending onside kick was executed PERFECTLY and Corey Smith recovered (I was sitting on the student side right on the 35 yard line, and I have NEVER seen an onside kick recovery as pretty as that one). With about a minute left to go, Lulay again takes the team down the field after passes to Scott Turnquist. Lulay dives over the pile for 6 (extra point good) and the Cats lead by 4, 17-21.

That is probably the best two minutes of football I will ever see.

I don't think any Bobcat fan ever left a game after that until the final whistle blew while Lulay was at the helm.

Libertine
May 28th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I was just about to put that one in here, BJ. As I recall, the fans actually rushed the field twice. There was a roughing the passer call on what should have been VMI's final play and they had to clear the fans off the field so VMI could get one more unsuccessful shot at the end zone.

ATrain
May 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Yeah Lib...if I recall correctly, that call was very questionable.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
The one that jumps out at me happened in 2000 in Newark, DE. UNH was losing 31-3 late in the third quarter and came back to tie the game up. The Wildcats won 45-44 in OT when the Hens missed a PAT. Delaware had been undefeated going into this game.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb00-unh.html

Another great comeback for more personal reasons was at UConn in 1981 IIRC. UNH was down 10 points deep into the fourth quarter, but scored two late TDs for the win. Going to work on Monday was oh so sweet!!!! I got so many "we don't care about football" replies that day!

Brad82
May 28th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Rhody -1985 beat Uconn 56-42.
Down 42-28 @ half.
UCONN did not get over the 50 yard line in the 2nd half.

The Gadfly
May 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
James Madison @ Coastal Carolina 2005 "THE GREATEST GAME EVER!"

McTailGator
May 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
With the most heartbreaking loss thread going, I thought it would be a good time to remember the games that you should have lost but came back from nowhere to win the game.

For Monmouth, it has to be the 2004 Robert Morris game. Monmouth gives up the lead with 23 seconds left in the game to trail 27-23. RMU squib kicks and Monmouth takes over at its own 37. Incomplete pass on first down. On second down, Monmouth completes a 31 yard pass to keep its hopes alive for one last throw. On the final play, Boland throws one into the endzon, gets tipped by Miles Austin, into the hands of our wideout to win the game 29-27. My only regret is that I was in AC at the time and couldn't hear the play by play.

1995 vs JMU in Virgina.

In the rain, we were down 24-10 at the half, and stormed back in the 4th Q to win by a couple of TD's.

Our punter was injured and our QB had to do the punting, which he did in HS. The ball was snapped over his head and he ran back to the 10 yard line, fielded the ball, and then kicked it from the 12 under pressure. The ball was marked dead on the opposite 17 yardline. 71 yards! We picked up a fumble 2 plays later and ran it in for a TD.

patssle
May 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
70 yards in 30 seconds with no timeouts to win on an extra point with no time remaining vs Eastern Washington in 2004. to advanced to the semi-finals.

one of the best comebacks ever in college football as it wasn't a single play but multiple.

you can watch it here around the 1:15 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuZ7c2YDjQ

slycat
May 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Texas States 2005 comeback over Georgia Southern in the playoffs. We were down 35-16 with 4:20 left in the 3rd quarter. GSU had been dominating the whole game when Texas St scored 34 unanswered points to win 50-35. This marked the end of GSUs triple option offense.

FlyYtown
May 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
James Madison at Youngstown State
First Round 2006 Division 1 Playoffs

The Dukes couldn't hold onto an 11 point 4th quarter lead as the Penguins stunned with Dukes with two late 4th quarter touchdowns to win it 35-31 to advance to the 2nd round of the Division 1 Playoffs. The Penguins are now 15-1 all time at Stambaugh in the playoffs!!!

ngineer
May 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Though several come to mind, the Klingerman Katch in the 'gloamin' in 1995 to defeat Lafayette in Double Overtime, 37-30, is most memorable in that Lehigh overcame a 30-14 deficit in the fourth quarter to force the overtime. Brian Klingerman made a one-handed catch under the goal posts as darkness was falling to push Lehigh into the lead. Had Lafayette scored to tie the game to force another O.T. one wonders what would have happened as visibility continued to deteriorate.
The 'close second' would be the great come-from-behind victory over Hofstra in the first round of the I-AA playoffs in 2001. Lehigh trailed 24-10 going into the fourth quarter. Still trailing 24-17 with less than two minutes to play and Hofstra driving inside the Lehigh 15 yard line, Mountain Hawks recovered a fumble and then 'drove' 88 yards in 1:03 to tie the game on a tremendous 'third effort' run by little Jermaine Pugh, who bounced off of several Hofstra defenders to get into the endzone to score the tying TD. In OT, Lehigh on defense intercepted a Hofstra pass on the first play, and then Brian Kelly kicked the game-winning field goal for a 27-24 win.

McNeese75
May 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
1995 vs JMU in Virgina.

In the rain, we were down 24-10 at the half, and stormed back in the 4th Q to win by a couple of TD's.

Our punter was injured and our QB had to do the punting, which he did in HS. The ball was snapped over his head and he ran back to the 10 yard line, fielded the ball, and then kicked it from the 12 under pressure. The ball was marked dead on the opposite 17 yardline. 71 yards! We picked up a fumble 2 plays later and ran it in for a TD.

I could not remember the actual year but that was my pick as well. The JMU student section was chanting "Overrated" all during the first half so it was nice to silence them in the end. The punt you refer to was shown as a play of the day on ESPN. xnodx

TheBisonator
May 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
2003: @ Montana. Down 24-2, Bison come back to win 25-24.

2006: @ UC Davis. Down 24-0, Bison come back to win 28-24.

Last year during the Davis game, I was watching it on TV in my apartment, and when we scored the TD with 3 seconds left, I just EXPLODED in yelling and cheers, and I heard other people in my building do the same. And the walls are pretty thick in my building. They're basically soundproof. It was only built in 2005. So you know the cheering must've been loud.

The Montana game in 2003, you could hear EVERYONE in my dorm explode in cheers when Montana missed the FG in the end. I ran out to my floor lobby along with some other students, and we were hugging and jumping around, and I didn't even know who those people were!! I had only been living there for a couple weeks.

Thank God both those games were on TV.

HiHiYikas
May 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
ASU was down 16-7 to Northern Iowa at halftime in the 2005 NC game, and down 16-14 after 3 quarters.

That win and the win over Furman on 10/12/02 were pretty huge.

Although last year's game was pretty one-sided, the previous two ASU-Furman games in Boone were won on the final play.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Although last year's game was pretty one-sided, the previous two ASU-Furman games in Boone were won on the final play.

Same with our series against SIU. The last 3-4 were close, and then last year they smacked us around in Carbondale. xsmhx

HiHiYikas
May 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Same with our series against SIU. The last 3-4 were close, and then last year they smacked us around in Carbondale. xsmhx
Makes for good rivalries, don't it? And I should have said the last two regular season ASU-Furman games in Boone...

The 2005 ASU-Furman playoff game was very close, but not won-on-the-final-play close.

Proud Griz Man
May 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
The Griz comeback win against EWU in 1996, ranks right up there. xnodx

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/1996_Highlig/fb966.wmv

Wide receiver #23 Joe Douglas
14 receptions for 279 yards and 4 touchdowns xeekx

Quarterback Brian Ay Yat passed for 560 yards

Unsuccessfully, I looked for video highlights of the Griz comeback against Idaho in 2000, the Griz comeback against Sacramento State in 2000, and the Griz comeback win over Appalachian State in 2000.

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM

I believe we were down 24-2 (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=74358) against Montana. Ohhhh.....how sweet that victory was.:D :D

patssle
May 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
we should take this thread and do a poll, for best comeback ever in FCS.

CopperCat
May 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
2003: @ Montana. Down 24-2, Bison come back to win 25-24.

The Montana game in 2003, you could hear EVERYONE in my dorm explode in cheers when Montana missed the FG in the end. I ran out to my floor lobby along with some other students, and we were hugging and jumping around, and I didn't even know who those people were!! I had only been living there for a couple weeks.

Thank God both those games were on TV.

We watched that kick sail wide on the jumbotron in Bobcat Stadium. There were also people cheering in the tailgating area. A Bobcat win was nice that day, but a Griz loss made it all the better.

catbob
May 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Yea, just as I was leaving Bobcat stadium, the put it up on the jumbotron, and I got to see Hepner (?) kick it wide. ;)

FlyYtown
May 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I highly recommend you guys listen to the radio highlights from YSU vs. JMU. These are pretty sweet. From the YSU Penguin Radio Network--new home 570WKBN.

Listen Here (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/YOUNGSTOWN-OH/WKBN-AM/YSU%20I-AA%20Playoffs%2011-25-06%20Leibert%20Package.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=YOUNGSTOWN-OH&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&SITE_ID=1188&STATION_ID=WKBN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Thomas_John&PCAST_CAT=talk_radio&PCAST_TITLE=WKBN_Sports)

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
We watched that kick sail wide on the jumbotron in Bobcat Stadium. There were also people cheering in the tailgating area. A Bobcat win was nice that day, but a Griz loss made it all the better.

I nearly jumped through the ceiling at my house when he missed it.

grizband
May 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yea, just as I was leaving Bobcat stadium, the put it up on the jumbotron, and I got to see Hepner (?) kick it wide. ;)

If you're talking about the 2003 game, that was Snyder missing the kick.

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM
If you're talking about the 2003 game, that was Snyder missing the kick.

Yeah, we were talking about the 2003 game. :D :D xpeacex

grizband
May 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, we were talking about the 2003 game. :D :D xpeacex
I was there...it was brutal...Griz couldn't stop the option...xnonono2x

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
ROUND 1 OF THE COMEBACK POLL IT UP AND RUNNING

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24419

blackfordpu
May 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM
70 yards in 30 seconds with no timeouts to win on an extra point with no time remaining vs Eastern Washington in 2004. to advanced to the semi-finals.

one of the best comebacks ever in college football as it wasn't a single play but multiple.

you can watch it here around the 1:15 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuZ7c2YDjQ

Pat, I don't suppose you have that game on a DVD do you?

windwalker
May 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I wonder where the Chuck South fans are and mention the "super safety"???

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM

POST IT!

patssle
May 28th, 2007, 09:31 PM

No I don't.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 02:16 AM

The NCAA has it available for sale, however. Here is the link:

http://www.ncaaondemand.com/search?institutions=&year=&page=18&sport=football

The NCAA has some great stuff on sale for something called DVD on demand. All of the I-AA/FCS championship games from 1985-2006 are available and a lot of other playoff games are there too. In 1984, the championship game isn't available, but the semfinal between Montana State and Rhode Island (yep, Rhode Island) is available, so at least you can watch that great Bobcat team. The 1976 D-II title game between Montana State and Akron is there, as are a lot of those D-II title clashes with North Dakota and North Dakota State. There is also a 1903 game between Yale and Princeton available.

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 1996 comeback that Appalachian State made against Georgia Southern. ASU was down by two TDs in the fourth quarter, 28-14, when Jerry Moore pulled QB Gerard Hardy in favor of Bake Baker, who had only taken a few snaps at the end of some blowouts as a junior. Baker throws three TD passes and ASU wins 35-28. My wife and then 11-month-old daughter were at the game in Statesboro with me and they decided to go to the car at the end of the third quarter. My wife hears all of this commotion and finds out from grumbling fans leaving the stadium that ASU had beaten GSU.

WCU LawCat
May 29th, 2007, 03:30 AM
For WCU the game that comes to mind is the 2004 battle for the Jug against App St. Down by more than 10 with 4 min and some change to play in the game WCU used some bizarre plays to come from behind and win 30-27. Western even turned that ball over on the goal line during that comback. The App coaching staff even helped out a little trying to get Devon Folks some more yards in the end and Richie Williams fumbled the ball. App finished 6-5 that year. The loss turned ASU upside down and created the monster that is the two time defending champions. Thats how I remember it anyways xthumbsupx

andy7171
May 29th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Well strange things happened in 1992 for Towson State...

Down by 26 with 3 minutes left, we converted not one, not two, not three but FOUR on sides kicks to come back and defeat IUP 35-33. Man it felt good to beat them in front of their a-hole fans and band!

The next weekend, Northeastern just scored with :07 seconds left in the game to go up 32-28. Three lateranls and a penalty on Northeastern for rushing the field gave us the ball with no time on the clock at the NU 15 yardline. Dan Crowley hits Mark Orlando in the corner of the endzone for the win. The entire stadium rushes the field. Insane!
We won the ESPN play of the year for that ending!

Ivytalk
May 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Harvard's all-time comeback was the 1968 Yale game, when Harvard scored 16 points in the last 42 seconds to salvage an improbable 29-29 tie. The Crimson headline was "Harvard beats Yale, 29-29."

In more recent years, Harvard spotted Brown a 21-0 first quarter lead and came back to win, 35-34.

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Maybe not the greatest, but I loved the 2003 game against Navy. The Mids went up 14-0 before everyone even got seated and the game seemed like it was going to be a bust for the Hens. The Hens stuffed Navy's #1 rushing attack the rest of the game and held on for a 21-17 win... even though the refs tried to let Navy back in the game. xsmiley_wix

SU Jag
May 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
1999 Bayou Classicxnodx

Ruler 79
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
This game I actually played in. It was the 1985 ECAC Championship. Albany VS Plymouth State (LOL). Albany had been robbed of a playoff spot and was forced to play in the DIII version of the NIT Tournament, The ECAC Classic!!!!!

Plymouth had Joe Dudek...remember him? He broke Walter Payton's TD record and was actually on the Heisman ballot and the cover of Sports Illustrated.

We didn't think much of him at first because of our vaunted defense led by New Hampshire transfers Scott Dimitrenko and Rich Kozak until we played him...WOW....265 yards in 3 qtrs..(went off on a stretcher in an ambulance from either the beating we gave him or exhaustion...he ran the ball on everydown. We ran a wishbone and the game was over in like 20 minutes).

Down 21-0 at half.

Wayne Anderson took the opening kick off of the 2nd half and went 90 yards to the house and the comeback was on.

Final

Albany 35
Plymouth 21

We drank beer and smoked cigars on the bus on the way home from this one!!!!!

813Jag
May 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
1999 Bayou Classicxnodx

Next to the 1993 and 1994 battles against Alcorn State and Steve "Air" McNair. That was the greatest game I've ever been to. xthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
May 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I am goin to make a cut off for the the games eligible for the polls for this friday at mid night due to the fact that there will probably be a lot of games by the end of it!

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 11:03 AM
For WCU the game that comes to mind is the 2004 battle for the Jug against App St. Down by more than 10 with 4 min and some change to play in the game WCU used some bizarre plays to come from behind and win 30-27. Western even turned that ball over on the goal line during that comback. The App coaching staff even helped out a little trying to get Devon Folks some more yards in the end and Richie Williams fumbled the ball. App finished 6-5 that year. The loss turned ASU upside down and created the monster that is the two time defending champions. Thats how I remember it anyways xthumbsupx
ASU never was trying to get more yards for DaVon Fowlkes (notice the correct spelling here). They were trying to secure a win. ASU was ahead 27-16 after Nygel Rogers returned an interception for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter. There was a bogus celebration penalty called on Rogers after the TD (like he wasn't suppose to celebrate a huge TD in a rivalry game. SoCon officials do an awful job on this rule) that helped give WCU some field position on the next drive. If ASU hadn't have knocked Bennett Swygert out of the game with an injury, WCU would have never won the game. Justin Clark came in and threw two TD passes, in between the fumble at the one-yard line.

Pards Rule
May 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
The 2005 game (10 years after the 1995 game Ngineer refers to above) when Lafayette went out to kick a 49 yarder to tie the game, got a 5 yard penalty to make it over 54 yards, lined up to try it, and decided instead after a timeout to do a hail mary which worked - TD to Jonathan Hurt with 37 seconds left and won the game. Jonathan Hurt will continue to hurt Hawk psyches long after he has graduated (a week ago!)..

GoGuins
May 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Several come to mind:

Oct 2000 vs UNI
28-24 victory by YSU in 2000. In a back-and-forth contest, Jeff Ryan connected with Dennis Dlugosz for a 26-yard touchdown pass with 1:17 remaining. YSU sealed the win when Jon Tekac sacked Ryan Helming on a fourth-and-15 play with 18 seconds remaining. YSU trailed 24-14 late in the 4th

Nov. 4, 2000 (Hofstra) • YSU overcame a 14-point deficit in the final 6:15 behind two Jeff Ryan touchdown passes to force overtime. After each team scored in the first overtime, Ryan threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Pedraza on the first play of the second overtime, and on the final play of the game, Tim Johnson intercepted a desperation pass to preserve a 42-35 victory in the stadium’s longest game.

Dec. 11, 1999 • The Penguins overcame a 24-13 fourth-quarter deficit for a 27-24 victory over Florida A&M in the NCAA semifinals. Tim Johnson’s interception turned the momentum of the game and with 44 seconds remaining, Jeff Ryan connected with Damion Matthews from 10 yards out for the game-winning score.

Sept. 25, 1999 • The Youngstown State defense came up big in the end with a goaline stand in the final minute to preserve a 28-24 win over Western Illinois. WIU had a first-and-goal at the YSU five with just under two minutes remaining and had two cracks from the one in the final minute. But the Penguins defense led by Dave Vecchione kept the Leathernecks out of the end zone. YSU trailed 21-0 at the half.

Nov 1999 vs Villanova 28-21, trailed 21-7 at the half

Chi Panther
May 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM
ASU was down 16-7 to Northern Iowa at halftime in the 2005 NC game, and down 16-14 after 3 quarters.

That win and the win over Furman on 10/12/02 were pretty huge.

Beat me to it. Didn't want to sound like a prick by posting another teams Biggest Come Back......not by margin of come back but from where you currently sit in the FCS world.....that come back got you ON TOP.xthumbsupx

Jag4Life
May 30th, 2007, 10:47 AM
1999 Bayou Classic but 3 years ago nothing topped the game against Alabama State. WHEEEEW, we down 20 points in the last quarter and we won on a 30 yard TD pass with 3 seconds left. What a game, what a game!!!!

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
1999 Bayou Classic but 3 years ago nothing topped the game against Alabama State. WHEEEEW, we down 20 points in the last quarter and we won on a 30 yard TD pass with 3 seconds left. What a game, what a game!!!!

That was a great game. I didn't like the result of the rematch. xmadx

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM
1985 victory over UCONN. They were down at the half but came back in the second half and scored 4 or 5 unanswered TD's. I just can't recall the final score.

UNH 40
May 30th, 2007, 12:07 PM
The one that jumps out at me happened in 2000 in Newark, DE. UNH was losing 31-3 late in the third quarter and came back to tie the game up. The Wildcats won 45-44 in OT when the Hens missed a PAT. Delaware had been undefeated going into this game.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb00-unh.html

Another great comeback for more personal reasons was at UConn in 1981 IIRC. UNH was down 10 points deep into the fourth quarter, but scored two late TDs for the win. Going to work on Monday was oh so sweet!!!! I got so many "we don't care about football" replies that day!

I will never forget that day, it was the first game that I traveled to as a freshman at UNH. Was the best comeback I have ever seen on a football field regardless of level of play.

Pard4Life
May 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
That I saw....

Lafayette beat Monmouth 30-29, opening game 2002.

and Lafayette over Lehigh 23-19, 2005... Pards were down 11 in the 4th.

Jag4Life
May 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
That was a great game. I didn't like the result of the rematch. xmadx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx That would go under a heartbreaking lost. Only time will tell though.

Pards Rule
May 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
That I saw....

Lafayette beat Monmouth 30-29, opening game 2002.

and Lafayette over Lehigh 23-19, 2005... Pards were down 11 in the 4th.

Carney is getting me a tape from that 2005 classic. :)

Eaglesrus
May 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
James Madison @ Coastal Carolina 2005 "THE GREATEST GAME EVER!"

Sorry, that title has to go to Georgia Southern's 1985 national championship game win over Furman. Well, maybe not; the first half was pretty awful, so we'll take "THE GREATEST HALF OF A GAME EVER PLAYED".

813Jag
May 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx That would go under a heartbreaking lost. Only time will tell though.
Too many turnovers made that a frustrating loss. xmadx

breezy
May 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
MOST AMAZING COMEBACK -- you'll have a tough time beating this one.

1988 -- Holy Cross at Princeton.

Total yards for the game -- Princeton 328, HC 321.

At the half, HC 14, Princeton 13. In the 4th quarter, Princeton kicks a FG to go up 23-17. With 1:13 remaining in the game, HC scores a TD and kicks the extra point to take a 24-23 lead. Princeton promptly marches down the field and kicks a 35-yd FG with :02 remaining to go up, 26-24.

Princeton kicks a squib kick that is picked up by HC TB Darin Cromwell at the HC 24. As he is being tackled at the shoulders, he laterals to TB Tim Donovan at the HC 42, and Donovan runs down the sideline all the way to the end zone. Final score -- HC 30, Princeton 26.

This was the first 1-AA game decided by a kickoff return TD on the final play of the game. (Shades of the 1982 Stanford-California game with the marching band.)

[Go immediately to the poll and vote for this one!!]

Cobblestone
May 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
MOST AMAZING COMEBACK -- you'll have a tough time beating this one.

1988 -- Holy Cross at Princeton.

Total yards for the game -- Princeton 328, HC 321.

At the half, HC 14, Princeton 13. In the 4th quarter, Princeton kicks a FG to go up 23-17. With 1:13 remaining in the game, HC scores a TD and kicks the extra point to take a 24-23 lead. Princeton promptly marches down the field and kicks a 35-yd FG with :02 remaining to go up, 26-24.

Princeton kicks a squib kick that is picked up by HC TB Darin Cromwell at the HC 24. As he is being tackled at the shoulders, he laterals to TB Tim Donovan at the HC 42, and Donovan runs down the sideline all the way to the end zone. Final score -- HC 30, Princeton 26.

This was the first 1-AA game decided by a kickoff return TD on the final play of the game. (Shades of the 1982 Stanford-California game with the marching band.)

[Go immediately to the poll and vote for this one!!]

WOW! xeekx

Sounds like that one belongs on ESPN Classic.

HENJOHN
May 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Two come to mind for me from the 1970's.....

1974: Hens were down 24-6 to McNeese State in the 4th qtr
and come back to win 29-24.

1979: Week 10 of regular season, the # 1 ranked Youngstown
Penguins led the # 2 ranked Blue Hens 31-7 in the 3rd
Qtr. Delaware came back to win 51-45 at Youngstown.
A few weeks later the same 2 teams played for the National
championship and after being down 21-7, the Hens came
back again to win 38-21.

NDSUFREAK
June 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
cut off

CSU BUCS
June 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM

After losing by 14 points with 1:39 left in the game CSU ties the game with no time on the clock (thanks to the super safety) and go's on to win in Double OT.

g-webb1994
June 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
That GSU comeback against Furman in the '85 title game is hard to beat IMO.

WUTNDITWAA
June 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM
How about October 10, 1992 at Harrisonburg. ASU trails 21-7 with 3:02 remaining. Wins it on a hail mary from D. J. Campbell to Craig Styron, who was on his back in the end zone with no time remaining to win the game.

Okay, it still doesn't top Go for Two.

melloAggiesousa
June 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The 1971 "Miracle Game" at Cal State Hayward. Aggies scored 16 points in the last 20 seconds of the game to win...Aggies 30, Pioneers 29. Current HC Bob Biggs was the QB. I wish I could've seen it...but I was 8 years old and living in Japan where my dad was stationed at the time.

PMB4Life
June 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
2003. UNI down 28-7 at the half against Southern Illinois in a game that decides the Gateway title. 10-0 SIU then proceeds to lose to UNI 43-40 after UNI's pass game suddenly becomes prolific. Greatest game I've ever watched. 2nd place: 25-24 win over those same Ugly Dawgs in 2005, again for the Gateway title.

vmifan
June 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
VMI down 31-7 with just over 11 minutes left in game and in its own territory. Won 37-34 in OT.

WUTNDITWAA
June 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
VMI down 31-7 with just over 11 minutes left in game and in its own territory. Won 37-34 in OT.

To whom? And when?

vmifan
June 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM
To whom? And when?

1992 VMI vs Chattanooga

Jax
June 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'd have to say SU vs. Ala St in Montgomery 2004. We were down by 2 or 3 scores and T Ricks led us to a wild 42-41 come from behind win to beat Ala St. He even caught a pass for 55 yards and hit Emile Bryant for a 6 yard TD at the closing seconds of the game. :D

pantherclaw
June 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
2005 SIU or EWU, Texas St games stand out

Agreed, the TxSt one was the first i thought of.

Mountain Panther
June 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Agreed, the TxSt one was the first i thought of.

Although that 2003 game against SIU in the Dome was really something special.

ASU_Chad
June 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Definately is has to be "Go for Two" against Furman for me. Has any other team run back a 2 point conversion to score? Even if so, when it is the play that wins you the game, that has to be the among the rarest.

MountainMan
June 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
For this App fan the greatest comeback has to the 1992 JMU game. We were down 21-7 with 3:02 left in the game and ended up scoring 3 TD's to win 27-21... IN REGULATION! DJ Campbell threw a TD with 3:02 left to cut it to 21-14 then another TD pass just 32 seconds later. JMU drove into ASU territory but then the Apps intercepted a pass. After two quick passes to get to midfield, Campbell threw a hailmary that was caught by Craig Styron while he was laying on his back in the endzone.

MACHIAVELLI
June 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Not really a amazing comeback, more like a "Fantastic Finish"

ICON vs Portland St. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JwzEvpESk4)

SoCon48
June 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM

Fowlkes didn't need any more yards. That part was fantasy about the coaches.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Definately is has to be "Go for Two" against Furman for me. Has any other team run back a 2 point conversion to score? Even if so, when it is the play that wins you the game, that has to be the among the rarest.

Exactly!! Nothing comes close!

MACHIAVELLI
June 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Not really a amazing comeback, more like a "Fantastic Finish"

ICON vs Portland St. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JwzEvpESk4)

SoCon48
June 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Well, no, the game was lost until Bobby L had a brain fart..