PDA

View Full Version : Lindy's releases their preseason mag

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Some "interesting" stuff in Lindy's preseason coverage of FCS. Here is their top 25:

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. McNeese State
5. Wofford
6. New Hampshire
7. Portland State
8. Illinois State
9. North Dakota State
10. South Dakota State
11. Youngstown State
12. Southern Illinois
13. Central Arkansas
14. Delaware
15. Furman
16. James Madison
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Montana State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Northern Iowa
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Texas State
24. Richmond
25. Liberty

asu3peat
May 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Lindy's has mad respect for Wofford!!!

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The picks that bugged my eyes out were South Dakota State at 10, Central Arkansas at 13, Coastal Carolina at 21, Texas State at 23 and Richmond at 24. I thought McNeese State and Wofford were a little bit high and a bunch of teams were too low. Can't see Illinois State as the top team in the Gateway and thought in general the Gateway wasn't respected all that much in this poll.

asu3peat
May 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
The picks that bugged my eyes out were South Dakota State at 10, Central Arkansas at 13, Coastal Carolina at 21, Texas State at 23 and Richmond at 24. I thought McNeese State and Wofford were a little bit high and a bunch of teams were too low. Can't see Illinois State as the top team in the Gateway and thought in general the Gateway wasn't respected all that much in this poll.

I believe Wofford will have a good showing, but not a preseason top 10 and with what Coastal lost this past season, 21 seems a little high.

dungeonjoe
May 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hope springs eternal in Spartanburg, guys.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Here is some more info from the mag:

MVP: Armanti Edwards, QB, App State
Off. POY: Ricky Santos, QB, UNH
Def. POY: Bryan Smith, DE, McNeese State
Newcomer of the Year: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

They do list it as I-AA still. Here are their I-AA AA Teams:

OFFENSE FIRST TEAM

QB Ricky Santos, UNH
RB Kevin Richardson, App State
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
WR Alex Watson, NAU
WR Jerome Simpson, CCU
TE Blake Martin, SHSU
OL Chad Rinehart, UNI
OL Kerry Brown, App State
OL Rocky Hanni, EWU
OL Brennan Carvalho, Portland St
OL Cody Balogh, Montana
AP Chris Fletcher, Austin Peay
K Rob Zarilli, Hofstra

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM

With good reason, considering all of those seniors Mike Ayers is bringing back. I had the Terriers high. Just not quite that high.

asu3peat
May 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM

No disrespect to the Woof, you guys played us tougher than most teams last year and you are returning a lot of players. I just feel a top 10 selection is a lil high...I could definitely see a top 15.

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Some embarrassing stuff for Lindy's:

They had Alex Miller of UMass and Edgar Jones of Southeast Missouri both on their All-American teams. I guess someone forgot to tell Lindy's that both Miller and Jones had graduated.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM
DEFENSE FIRST TEAM

DL Bryan Smith, McNeese St
DL Kory Biermann, Montana
DL Edgar Jones, SEMO- i know he graduated...funny pick
DL Gary Tharrington, App State
LB Donald Thomas, EIU
LB Mike Gallihugh, Colgate
LB James Terry, YSU
DB Tony LeZotte, JMU
DB Corey Lynch, App State
DB Bobbie Williams, BBC
DB Dominique Rodgers, Tenn. State
P Mike Dragosavich, NDSU

CopperCat

I couldn't agree more. Wofford at #5?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me!!! That's like Ralph Nader winning the presidency!!!

Mr. C
No disrespect to the Woof, you guys played us tougher than most teams last year and you are returning a lot of players. I just feel a top 10 selection is a lil high...I could definitely see a top 15.
I could see the Terriers being a quarterfinalist this year in the playoffs.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Mr. C already eluded to some funny things that I saw in the mag and was about to mention such as Miller and Jones. Some other weird things they have is Liberty 2nd to CCU in the top 25 but picking Liberty to win the Big South.

They also forgot the SoCon writeup completely.

In the Southland writeup they have McNeese, then SHSU, then SFA, then Cen. Ark, and Texas State at 5. In the top 25 they don't have SFA or SHSU but have Cen. Ark. and Texas State.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Their big games are:

Sept. 1 App State at Michigan
Portland State at McNeese State
YSU at Ohio State

Nov. 10 UNH at UMASS

Nov. 17 SHSU at Texas State

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Mr. C already eluded to some funny things that I saw in the mag and was about to mention such as Miller and Jones. Some other weird things they have is Liberty 2nd to CCU in the top 25 but picking Liberty to win the Big South.

They also forgot the SoCon writeup completely.

In the Southland writeup they have McNeese, then SHSU, then SFA, then Cen. Ark, and Texas State at 5. In the top 25 they don't have SFA or SHSU but have Cen. Ark. and Texas State.

Which makes the poll's credibility seem rather shaky......no consistency or continuity will do that. I'd like to hear from the writers to see just exactly what is going on. To explain this one would be a feat of the gods IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Which makes the poll's credibility seem rather shaky......no consistency or continuity will do that. I'd like to hear from the writers to see just exactly what is going on. To explain this one would be a feat of the gods IMO.

Otto Fad is the writer. You can email him [email protected] or at [email protected]

dungeonjoe
May 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I could see the Terriers being a quarterfinalist this year in the playoffs.

Perhaps. the schedule this year has us playing NC State, ASU and FU on consecutive weeks in September, with El Cid in the first week in October. If we survive that gauntlet with few injuries and more wins that losses, that will tell me a lot about our chances for going deep in the playoffs.

CopperCat
Otto Fad is the writer. You can email him [email protected] or at [email protected]

Thanks. Much appreciated.

smallcollegefbfan
Senior Editor is Anthony Gimino and his email is [email protected] or you can email lindys themselves at [email protected]

dungeonjoe
May 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I couldn't agree more. Wofford at #5?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me!!! That's like Ralph Nader winning the presidency!!!
xlolx I wish you had been on these boards in 2003. President Nader was very, very close.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks. Much appreciated.

No problem

already123
May 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM
anyone else think MSU was ranked a little high there?

grizband
May 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Only if these rankings were done after Kramer was fired...with Kramer at the helm, I could see them being close to last year's team. Now... well that could go many different directions, although I hope they do very well with the new coach.

Seat16Demon
May 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM

I could actually believe that Central Arkansas will be in the Top 25 poll. They are underrated and somewhat unproven (they did knock off two conference foes last year, even though not officially in the conference). It is strange though that they are so low in the conference standings. Someone may have fallen asleep at the wheel at Lindy's. Looks like they may have been in a little hurry to go to print and let one get by them.
;)

CopperCat
May 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM

You're just jealous becuase your Lumbercracks weren't in the poll......xsmiley_wix

But even with Kramer gone, I don't think they're ranked too high.

McNeese75
May 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I could actually believe that Central Arkansas will be in the Top 25 poll. They are underrated and somewhat unproven (they did knock off two conference foes last year, even though not officially in the conference). It is strange though that they are so low in the conference standings. Someone may have fallen asleep at the wheel at Lindy's. Looks like they may have been in a little hurry to go to print and let one get by them.
;)

UCA obvioulsy has a good coach and a good program but they really did lose the core of their team last year. This should be a reloading year for them.

And McNeese at #4 is certainly too high.

Jackluv
May 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Here is some more info from the mag:

MVP: Armanti Edwards, QB, App State
Off. POY: Ricky Santos, QB, UNH
Def. POY: Bryan Smith, DE, McNeese State
Newcomer of the Year: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State

They do list it as I-AA still. Here are their I-AA AA Teams:

OFFENSE FIRST TEAM

QB Ricky Santos, UNH
RB Kevin Richardson, App State
RB Herb Donaldson, WIU
WR Alex Watson, NAU
WR Jerome Simpson, CCU
TE Blake Martin, SHSU
OL Chad Rinehart, UNI
OL Kerry Brown, App State
OL Rocky Hanni, EWU
OL Brennan Carvalho, Portland St
OL Cody Balogh, Montana
AP Chris Fletcher, Austin Peay
K Rob Zarilli, Hofstra

3 BSC Offensive Lineman!! xthumbsupx xeekx

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Anyone want the 2nd team all-america list?

grizband
May 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Anyone want the 2nd team all-america list?
Yes. xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yes. xnodx

Okay I will type it up now.

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM
OFFENSE SECOND TEAM
QB Joe Flacco, Delaware
RB Jerome Felton, Furman
RB Lex Hilliard, Montana
WR Micah Rucker, EIU
WR Duvaughn Flagler, GW
TE Chris Wagner, SDSU
OL Scott Suttle, App St
OL Matt Austin, UMASS
OL Alex Miller, UMASS
OL Brandon Hale, SHSU
OL Brad Samsa, YSU
AP Omar Cuff, Delaware
K Jason Leo, Lehigh

DEFENSE SECOND TEAM
DL Rio Stotler, Weber St
DL Mychal Savage, YSU
DL Kendall Langford, Hampton
DL Brian Johnston, GW
LB Bobby Abare, Yale
LB Damian Perkins, SFA
LB Mario Brown, GW
DB Quintez Smith, UTC
DB Torrey Thomas, Montana
DB Jamelle Juneau, McNeese St
DB Jarmaul George, Southern
P Chris MacDonald, Texas St

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Big Sky Order of Finish:

1. Montana
2. PSU
3. MSU
4. EWU
5. Sac. State
6. NAU
7. Idaho St
8. Weber St
9. UNC

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM
CAA Order

NORTH

1. UMASS
2. UNH
3. Maine
4. Hofstra
5. NE
6. RIU

SOUTH
1. Delaware
2. JMU
3. Richmond
4. Towson
5. Villanova
6. W&M

SirApp
May 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Interesting enough, Armanti will be the MVP, but not an All-American.

This list doesn't mean much to me, sadly enough...

smallcollegefbfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
They forgot the SoCon info or else I would post it.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2007, 11:30 PM
No love for the Ivy or Patriot in the Top 25? Hard to argue Liberty should be in but Yale is out...

umassfan
May 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM
OFFENSE SECOND TEAM
QB Joe Flacco, Delaware
RB Jerome Felton, Furman
RB Lex Hilliard, Montana
WR Micah Rucker, EIU
WR Duvaughn Flagler, GW
TE Chris Wagner, SDSU
OL Scott Suttle, App St
OL Matt Austin, UMASS
OL Alex Miller, UMASS
OL Brandon Hale, SHSU
OL Brad Samsa, YSU
AP Omar Cuff, Delaware
K Jason Leo, Lehigh

DEFENSE SECOND TEAM
DL Rio Stotler, Weber St
DL Mychal Savage, YSU
DL Kendall Langford, Hampton
DL Brian Johnston, GW
LB Bobby Abare, Yale
LB Damian Perkins, SFA
LB Mario Brown, GW
DB Quintez Smith, UTC
DB Torrey Thomas, Montana
DB Jamelle Juneau, McNeese St
DB Jarmaul George, Southern
P Chris MacDonald, Texas St

I find it funny that Flacco isnt even the 2nd best QB in the CAA nevermind FCS

slostang
May 28th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Some "interesting" stuff in Lindy's preseason coverage of FCS. Here is their top 25:

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. McNeese State
5. Wofford
6. New Hampshire
7. Portland State
8. Illinois State
9. North Dakota State
10. South Dakota State
11. Youngstown State
12. Southern Illinois
13. Central Arkansas
14. Delaware
15. Furman
16. James Madison
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Montana State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Northern Iowa
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Texas State
24. Richmond
25. Liberty
No Cal Poly?

Model Citizen
May 28th, 2007, 12:14 AM

I'll decline, thank you. But there are obviously some teams/rankings/power ratings he hasn't seen. If this is the quality of FCS research that goes into national magazines, I'll stick to the I-A material.

ucdtim17
May 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM
This is great - people defending MSU and UCA as top 20 teams after we beat them by a combined score of 88-13 last year. I hate shilling for my team, but UCD deserves to be in the discussion with this group of teams in the top 20

dbackjon
May 28th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Big Sky Order of Finish:

1. Montana
2. PSU
3. MSU
4. EWU
5. Sac. State
6. NAU
7. Idaho St
8. Weber St
9. UNC

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Sac St 5th????

xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM

yeah, UNI at 20 seems low.

DaveK
May 28th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I think they have UNI a bit low and SDSU way too high. I might add Cal-Davis somewhere in the 20-25 range. Otherwise I'm pretty much right on with the rest.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'll decline, thank you. But there are obviously some teams/rankings/power ratings he hasn't seen. If this is the quality of FCS research that goes into national magazines, I'll stick to the I-A material.

Remember I don't help with that at all. I was just posting so people could see since it just came out. People need to write them and say what they think. Changes will never be made unless fans make their voice heard.

Mr. C
May 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM
yeah, UNI at 20 seems low.

I had UNI No. 3 in my preseason rankings.

Mr. C
May 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I think they have UNI a bit low and SDSU way too high. I might add Cal-Davis somewhere in the 20-25 range. Otherwise I'm pretty much right on with the rest.

There is no such school as Cal-Davis. There is a school named UC Davis. You might want to file that away, considering your school is going to be in the Great West Conference with the Aggies next year.

Gil Dobie
May 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. McNeese State
5. Wofford
6. New Hampshire
7. Portland State
8. Illinois State
9. North Dakota State
10. South Dakota State

The is the part that's hard to figure. NDSU plays Illinois ST and SDSU at the end of the season. No matter what the outcome is, I can't see these 3 teams ranked this close at the end of the season. One may be higher, one may be lower and the other right about the 10 spot.

UncleSam
May 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Towson should be included in the preseason Top 25.

Gil Dobie
May 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
This is great - people defending MSU and UCA as top 20 teams after we beat them by a combined score of 88-13 last year. I hate shilling for my team, but UCD deserves to be in the discussion with this group of teams in the top 20

I think UCD will have a great season, possibly top ten by the end of the season, and FCS playoffs.

th0m
May 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM
All in all, funny stuff.

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Wofford #5?

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I had UNI No. 3 in my preseason rankings.

I'd say top 5-6 at worst. They have some proving to do after last year. xsmhx

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 10:58 AM
All in all, funny stuff.

agreed. why bother? It's the same way with mid-major basketball previews in the big mags.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
agreed. why bother? It's the same way with mid-major basketball previews in the big mags.

The mags will never change anything until a lot of people go to them. My guess is that about 300-400 people actually complain and to them that is nothing. If just 400 are complaining and they are still selling over 200,000 copies they don't really care. Now, if they take a hit one year and sell about 50,000 copies less and hear about 60,000 complaints they will do something.

EmeryZach
May 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Wow. UMass at #3? I mean we'll be good this year, but that might be a little high. I'm a little worried, because in all sports UMass never lives up to expectations. The only time we are ever good (in any sport) is when we aren't expected to be good. We'll see what happens, cause we lost a lot of key players. I think they just picked the order out of a hat.

james_lawfirm
May 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I agree with Lindy's (whoever that is), that Wofford is top 10 preseason. I had them at #6 in my poll. If they are a sleeper on everyone else's poll, then fine. But, I bet that at the end of the season, everyone will wonder where the heck they came from. Well, they had a pretty good season last year, lost some tough games, and bring back mostly the same crew this year. Plus, Coach Ayers is top notch.

They played the CLOSEST game of the year in Boone (including the postseason) of anyone else in the country, losing 14 - 7. They seemed to be the only team that managed to stifle ASU's offense.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with Lindy's (whoever that is), that Wofford is top 10 preseason. I had them at #6 in my poll. If they are a sleeper on everyone else's poll, then fine. But, I bet that at the end of the season, everyone will wonder where the heck they came from. Well, they had a pretty good season last year, lost some tough games, and bring back mostly the same crew this year. Plus, Coach Ayers is top notch.

They played the CLOSEST game of the year in Boone (including the postseason) of anyone else in the country, losing 14 - 7. They seemed to be the only team that managed to stifle ASU's offense.

Their offense will do that to you. If you don't take them out early they are going to linger. If you get up on them early on then you don't have to worry about a comeback. Their offense is not built for comebacks, obviously.

They also gave the gamecocks a close one and lost by only 7. History tells us that when Wofford is loaded with seniors they will be good. I think we all remember the year they made the semis. I expect top 10 from Wofford but their lack of team speed will keep them from getting past the 2nd round IMO.

89rabbit
May 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM

1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. UMass
4. McNeese State
5. Wofford
6. New Hampshire
7. Portland State
8. Illinois State
9. North Dakota State
10. South Dakota State
11. Youngstown State
12. Southern Illinois
13. Central Arkansas
14. Delaware
15. Furman
16. James Madison
17. Tennessee-Martin
18. Montana State
19. Eastern Illinois
20. Northern Iowa
21. Coastal Carolina
22. Hampton
23. Texas State
24. Richmond
25. Liberty

SDSU in the Top 10, works for me! xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
May 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Lindy's needs to scrap this or do it right. xrolleyesx

CopperCat
May 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I agree. When a publication like this comes out you expect it to be reliable and well researched. But this one really isn't (outside of FBS stuff). If you read crap, you might gleen a few things here and there. But you would learn much more if the stuff you were reading was reliable. Lindy's might be entertaining, but it doesn't really seem to be very reliable.

Col Hogan
May 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Towson should be included in the preseason Top 25.

xthumbsupx Too many people are under rating Towson....

BEAR
May 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Let's remember two things guys:

1. It's a preseason poll
2. With no research at all

UCA at #13? With losing 21 seniors and facing a better SLC schedule? I don't think so. But time will prove me right xnodx ...or wrong. xcoolx xlolx

appfan2008
May 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM
everyone's opinion is important and different and while i dont agree with this poll... it is their opinion and we will see what happens when the year is over

Dabnus Brickey
May 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'm not a fan of polls in the first place. They really tell us nothing.

JBB
May 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I thought the poll told us where they thought the teams were starting the year not finishing. I know my poll is a starting poll and will change a whole bunch as the season wears on, so will everyone elses.

NDSUFREAK
May 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

VERY TRUE

james_lawfirm
May 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Nu - uhh. They do too tell us something. They tell us that everyone's vote is just a little bit better and wiser than all other voters. xazzx

McNeese75
May 28th, 2007, 08:34 PM
xthumbsupx Too many people are under rating Towson....

They are in preseason my top 25 xnodx

windwalker
May 28th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I thought the poll told us where they thought the teams were starting the year not finishing. I know my poll is a starting poll and will change a whole bunch as the season wears on, so will everyone elses.

But at the start of the year... all teams are undefeated!!!!

xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

slostang
May 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM
They are in preseason my top 25 xnodx

I had Towson in my top 25.

aggie6thman
May 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
No Cal Poly?

I agree slostang. These guys obviously threw this thing together about 5 minutes before their deadline.

ASU_Chad
May 29th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Towson in, Liberty out

DaveK
May 29th, 2007, 02:43 AM
There is no such school as Cal-Davis. There is a school named UC Davis. You might want to file that away, considering your school is going to be in the Great West Conference with the Aggies next year.

What do you mean there is no such school? Didn't Ken O'Brien play there back in the early '80s? Isn't that where J.T. O'Sullivan came from? Please see the following link:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/1983.jsp

It's the 1st round of the 1983 NFL Draft. Pick #24 is listed as QB Ken O'Brien of Cal-Davis. So what's the deal?

Pauly LB
May 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I agree slostang. These guys obviously threw this thing together about 5 minutes before their deadline.

In baseball terms (since this preseason "poll" was done during baseball season) -- the poll is a "swing and a miss". Just curious -- did the article include any explanation for their rankings???

lucchesicourt
May 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
The deal is simple. UC Davis is not Cal Davis. There is NO such school as Cal Davis. UC Davis can be correctly referred to as UCD, UC Davis, and University of California, Davis (I have seen some write UC-Davis. This is wrong also). Pretty much any other term is incorrect. Cal Davis was a term made up by some writers, and has NEVER been an accpeted term by UCD and its alumni. Just because people call the school by an incorrect name, does not make it correct.

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I find it funny that Flacco isnt even the 2nd best QB in the CAA nevermind FCS

I find it funny that out of all of this the only thing you have to say is something negative about Delaware, but then again, that is your MO. xlolx How many games did you actually even see Flacco play to come up with that insight? Any? Geez, even from just the stats a reasonable person could make an argument that Flacco is the 2nd best QB in the CAA - nobody else in the CAA is a surefire better QB than he is other than Santos. Of course, you would have to be reasonable and that may actually disqualify you. xlolx

McNeese72
May 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Guys, this is, as is the case with most of the preseason magazines, a ranking not a "poll". I don't think anybody was polled about the teams. It is just one (or several) writers getting together and ranking the teams.
I wouldn't get too worked up over this.

Doc

P.S. McNeese is too high in this ranking.

Libertine
May 29th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Towson in, Liberty out

I hate to say it but I agree. We've done absolutely nothing to warrant a top 25 ranking.

Yet.

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I find it funny that out of all of this the only thing you have to say is something negative about Delaware, but then again, that is your MO. xlolx How many games did you actually even see Flacco play to come up with that insight? Any? Geez, even from just the stats a reasonable person could make an argument that Flacco is the 2nd best QB in the CAA - nobody else in the CAA is a surefire better QB than he is other than Santos. Of course, you would have to be reasonable and that may actually disqualify you. xlolx
xnodx Beat me to it. As soon as I saw 'umassfan' and Flacco on the list he quoted, I knew exactly what the post would be. He's never happy unless the first, second and third team has 33 players from UMass. xcoffeex

Mr. C
May 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
What do you mean there is no such school? Didn't Ken O'Brien play there back in the early '80s? Isn't that where J.T. O'Sullivan came from? Please see the following link:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/1983.jsp

It's the 1st round of the 1983 NFL Draft. Pick #24 is listed as QB Ken O'Brien of Cal-Davis. So what's the deal?

It would be nice if some people would allow themselves to be educated, rather than to regurgitate wrong information. I don't care how many references you come up, the name of the school is UC Davis, not Cal-Davis. Anyone who uses that term is wrong.

umassfan
May 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but did Flacco even get 2nd or 3rd team all A10 last season? Point made loud n clear!

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I would not put Flacco in the top 5 QBs if you rank in terms of returning talent by numbers but I believe he could have an All-American season. You could argue that he is the 1st-4th best QB in the CAA. Towson, UNH, and UMASS all would put up an argument about him being on there...:)

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but did Flacco even get 2nd or 3rd team all A10 last season? Point made loud n clear!

Wow, it's amazing how the quality and rationale of your arguments drop off whenever you veer into anti-Delaware territory. It's like your brain gets bypassed. Go figure.

First of all, Rascati has graduated so one of the 3 QB's who made an appearance on the all-A10 lists last year won't be on a list this year.

And while Santos is clearly the best QB in the CAA (if not all of FCS) why is anyone in the CAA so much better than Flacco? Again, any reasonable person can look at the stats and argue any of the Flacco-Schaeffer-Coen trio could be the second best. And people who've actually seen all 3 play could make the same argument.

So again, what rationale, if any, are you using to say that Flacco isn't or couldn't be, this year, the second best QB in the conference???xcoolx

Mountaineer#96
May 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Wofford is a top 10 team.
They have IMO the best head coach in our conference. He can game plan with the best of them, and does more with less every year. His players play hard and never give up, they are exceptional. They might not be the best athletes but they play bigger and better than they are b/c of excellent coaching.

I am not knocking on Jerry Moore what so ever, but he does not have to deal with a lot of what Mike Ayers does. Since Wofford is a small private school with 1100 students.

blueballs
May 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Wofford is a top 10 team.
They have IMO the best head coach in our conference. He can game plan with the best of them, and does more with less every year. His players play hard and never give up, they are exceptional. They might not be the best athletes but they play bigger and better than they are b/c of excellent coaching.

Yup... and since GSU dropped the spread option Ayers has a scheme advantage as the only (kinda) triple option team in the conference, which makes him even better as a coach.

89Hen
May 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Again, any reasonable person can look at the stats and argue any of the Flacco-Schaeffer-Coen trio could be the second best. And people who've actually seen all 3 play could make the same argument.
FWIW, I'd pick Sheaeffer over Flacco and Coen heading into the season. I just found it funny how predictible umassfan is even though he isn't posting much anymore.

terrierbob
May 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=asu3peat;545676]No disrespect to the Woof, you guys played us tougher than most teams last year and you are returning a lot of players. I just feel a top 10 selection is a lil high...I could definitely see a top 15.
__________________________________________________ _______________
I agree, 3peat.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Quick question...

Is there any inclusion of FCS Mid-Majors in the recent publication, or are they glossed over like they usually are?

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Quick question...

Is there any inclusion of FCS Mid-Majors in the recent publication, or are they glossed over like they usually are?

Yes. They had a section on all the leagues except they made a mistake and left out the socon writeup.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yes. They had a section on all the leagues except they made a mistake and left out the socon writeup.

Thanks.

Seems most organizations have a tendency to ignore those without full scholarships.

Then again, sounds like Lindy's didn't do their research and the rankings and previews for the likes of the NEC, MAAC, and Pioneer would be wholly inaccurate.

Meh.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks.

Seems most organizations have a tendency to ignore those without full scholarships.

Then again, sounds like Lindy's didn't do their research and the rankings and previews for the likes of the NEC, MAAC, and Pioneer would be wholly inaccurate.

Meh.

The fact that Bruce Hocker, Josh Johnson, or Colin Disch all are not on the teams was a little odd to me. I think you have to put at least one, if not two of them on the AA teams.

rmutv
May 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
The fact that Bruce Hocker, Josh Johnson, or Colin Disch all are not on the teams was a little odd to me. I think you have to put at least one, if not two of them on the AA teams.

Just as I feared.

All three should be at least 6th-7th round picks in the draft next year, with all three having the capabilities of being bumped up depending on how they do this year. Johnson, especially, could be picked fairly high.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Just as I feared.

All three should be at least 6th-7th round picks in the draft next year, with all three having the capabilities of being bumped up depending on how they do this year. Johnson, especially, could be picked fairly high.

I would be a little surprised if Disch was but I expect Hocker and Johnson to be drafted. Johnson could go first day. 5th-7th round should be expected of Hocker for sure.

OL FU
May 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Yup... and since GSU dropped the spread option Ayers has a scheme advantage as the only (kinda) triple option team in the conference, which makes him even better as a coach.

If you want to stop Wofford's option, watch Furman. xsmiley_wix
If you want to stop GSUs option, watch someone elsexrolleyesx
Oh yeah , there is no GSU optionxhurrayx :p

lucchesicourt
May 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you Mr. C for the support about our correct name. I pretty much have given up on getting people to use our acceptable names, becuase I feel people get tired of it. But, when someone insists they are right about our name, I now have to chime in and let them know they are wrong.

DaGriz
May 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Their big games are:

Sept. 1 App State at Michigan
Portland State at McNeese State
YSU at Ohio State

Nov. 10 UNH at UMASS

Nov. 17 SHSU at Texas State

Fort Lewis High School at Montana isn't a big game this year? That's crap.

appfan2008
May 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Fort Lewis High School at Montana isn't a big game this year? That's crap.

not exactly montana's best scheduleing year ever...

DaGriz
May 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I am. They give us something to talk about in the off season. What other magazine article about the FCS has given us 10 pages of message board discussion 4 months before the season starts?

DaGriz
May 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
not exactly montana's best scheduleing year ever...

I can't think of a worse one. Pathetic.

appfan2008
May 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am. They give us something to talk about in the off season. What other magazine article about the FCS has given us 10 pages of message board discussion 4 months before the season starts?

not many and this one includes fans of all teams

DaGriz
May 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
OFFENSE SECOND TEAM
QB Joe Flacco, Delaware
RB Jerome Felton, Furman
RB Lex Hilliard, Montana
WR Micah Rucker, EIU
WR Duvaughn Flagler, GW
TE Chris Wagner, SDSU
OL Scott Suttle, App St
OL Matt Austin, UMASS
OL Alex Miller, UMASS
OL Brandon Hale, SHSU
OL Brad Samsa, YSU
AP Omar Cuff, Delaware
K Jason Leo, Lehigh

I'l be suprised if Hilliard ends up second team. He won't get enough carries. He won't play more than a half to 3 quarters the first 5 or 6 games. We're loaded at running back and he was hurt last year. They'll try and save him for the second half of the season.

blukeys
May 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
FWIW, I'd pick Sheaeffer over Flacco and Coen heading into the season. I just found it funny how predictible umassfan is even though he isn't posting much anymore.

89 would you trade Shaeffer for Flacco? Not in my book. Towson has a well schemed offense with a QB who knows it well. But Flacco is something special and can put the ball into places other QB's can only dream of. xnodx xnodx

GreatAppSt
May 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Wow, it's amazing how the quality and rationale of your arguments drop off whenever you veer into anti-Delaware territory. It's like your brain gets bypassed. Go figure.

First of all, Rascati has graduated so one of the 3 QB's who made an appearance on the all-A10 lists last year won't be on a list this year.

And while Santos is clearly the best QB in the CAA (if not all of FCS) why is anyone in the CAA so much better than Flacco? Again, any reasonable person can look at the stats and argue any of the Flacco-Schaeffer-Coen trio could be the second best. And people who've actually seen all 3 play could make the same argument.

So again, what rationale, if any, are you using to say that Flacco isn't or couldn't be, this year, the second best QB in the conference???xcoolx

I've seen Santos Coen Flacco and Rascatti after Santos, Flacco gets the second place nod from me.xtwocentsx

saint0917
May 30th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Some embarrassing stuff for Lindy's:

They had Alex Miller of UMass and Edgar Jones of Southeast Missouri both on their All-American teams. I guess someone forgot to tell Lindy's that both Miller and Jones had graduated.

Miller is back for a 5th year?? SWEET!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xlolx xlolx

DaveK
May 31st, 2007, 02:08 AM
It would be nice if some people would allow themselves to be educated, rather than to regurgitate wrong information. I don't care how many references you come up, the name of the school is UC Davis, not Cal-Davis. Anyone who uses that term is wrong.

The UC stands for University of California, right? The University of California is referred to as Cal. They even have it in script across the side of their helmets. Therefore, if the University of California is known as Cal why would the University of California Davis not be known as Cal-Davis? That's what I've always known them as. xconfusedx

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 02:13 AM
The UC stands for University of California, right? The University of California is referred to as Cal. They even have it in script across the side of their helmets. Therefore, if the University of California is known as Cal why would the University of California Davis not be known as Cal-Davis? That's what I've always known them as. xconfusedx

I've never thought about it that way. I naturally refer to them as UC-Davis, or just Davis. But your thoughts make sense.

lucchesicourt
May 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
The word "Cal" is not in refernce to the University of California. It is in reference to the University of California, Berkeley or UCB. I can see how many can be confused because UCB is called "Cal", but it is wrong to refer to any other UC as Cal+city (such as Cal Irvine, Cal San Diego, Cal LA, etc.). They are UC+city (UC Irvine or UCI, UC San Diegoor UCSD, UCLA, etc.). Davis is another school in this same system and uses the same nomenclature as all the UC's. Cal for UCB is the only exception, as it was the flagship university in the state and hence adopted Cal.

ucdtim17
May 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Cal only refers to Berkeley. It's never been any other way. UCLA is UCLA, not Cal-LA. We are UC Davis, not Cal-Davis.

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Cal only refers to Berkeley. It's never been any other way. UCLA is UCLA, not Cal-LA. We are UC Davis, not Cal-Davis.

Well, the Cal Poly folks further confuse the matter. xlolx

ucdtim17
May 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM

Yes I can see how someone completely unfamiliar with California might be confused. Cal Poly is a CSU school - not UC. Poly is short for Polytechnic - it is not a place like UC ______. Totally different

PantherRob82
May 31st, 2007, 08:38 PM

Very true. xlolx

BearsCountry
May 31st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Its like Mizzou is the nickname for the University of Missouri and not the freaking state. So no Mizzou State for us please.

youwouldno
May 31st, 2007, 11:32 PM
I've never understood the rationale of ranking a team high because of narrow losses. Furman returns more players than Wofford, spanked Wofford last year, @ Wofford, which is nothing new by the way, and the Paladins are more athletic.

On the other hand, Wofford is the last SoCon team to win in Greenville, when they trounced Furman 7-6 after being outgained 343-180 and after Furman botched the snap on a game-winning field goal attempt... and it was almost yesterday, 11/15/2003.

Keeper
June 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM
IMO, Lindy's is one of the more respected preseason
mags around. I am familiar with their chief editor up
here in Washington state, and know they try very hard
to put out a quality issue.

I have personally run into numerous errors on roster
postings which list incorrect eligibility on players, so
unless they call them personally, what's on the internet
is what is used.

Also, their Top 25 poll is a consensus of writers, and
is separate from conference previews produced by
various regional writers, thus discrepancies in rankings.

terrierbob
June 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM
youwouldno:

Most of the posts on the Wofford board agree. I have no idea why we're ranked higher. We'd kove to beat you at least once every three years. We'd trade some GaSo. wins for it!

Eyes of Old Main
June 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
I've never understood the rationale of ranking a team high because of narrow losses. Furman returns more players than Wofford, spanked Wofford last year, @ Wofford, which is nothing new by the way, and the Paladins are more athletic.

On the other hand, Wofford is the last SoCon team to win in Greenville, when they trounced Furman 7-6 after being outgained 343-180 and after Furman botched the snap on a game-winning field goal attempt... and it was almost yesterday, 11/15/2003.

No argument from me. I pick the SoCon as Appalachian State #1, Furman #2 and then Wofford. Lindy's picking Wofford #5 is too high, but then again, those magazines pick someone high almost every year. Let's not forget, Sports Illustrated picked Western Carolina as preseason #1 back in the mid-90's and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I am very optimistic and excited about Wofford's chances this year, but readily acknowledge history and the fact that our schedule doesn't line up very well in the first half of the season. Until Wofford breaks the Furman Code, they do not deserve this type of high ranking. I agree with the consensus here at AGS that has them in the mid teens, but I put them #20 in my poll.

g-webb1994
June 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Lindy's is pure crap and drivel, they always want to be the first to the newsstand, and it shows. I'll really fret if Street and Smith has the same piss poor coverage.

As for Wofford, #5 may be a bit too high, but they have a favorable schedule, hosting Appy and GSU in Beacon-town, while just traveling up the road to FU. Those back-to-back road games with the 'Dins and Citadel will make or break them early on. If somehow they manage to win both of those, that Appy-Wofford game will be a big-time show for sure.xnodx

Also, one thing about Liberty. Not Top 25 material IMO pre-season, but I think they will now use the "win it for Jerry" rallying cry all season, which will make them more dangerous.xtwocentsx

youwouldno
June 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
No argument from me. I pick the SoCon as Appalachian State #1, Furman #2 and then Wofford. Lindy's picking Wofford #5 is too high, but then again, those magazines pick someone high almost every year. Let's not forget, Sports Illustrated picked Western Carolina as preseason #1 back in the mid-90's and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I am very optimistic and excited about Wofford's chances this year, but readily acknowledge history and the fact that our schedule doesn't line up very well in the first half of the season. Until Wofford breaks the Furman Code, they do not deserve this type of high ranking. I agree with the consensus here at AGS that has them in the mid teens, but I put them #20 in my poll.

I hope I didn't come across too harshly towards the Terriers. I do expect Wofford to be pretty good. My main point is that location is everything... Furman hasn't lost a SoCon game at home for 3 years running (and 6 of the past 10 seasons). Should be a strong SoCon in any case...

phillyAPP
June 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
I hope I didn't come across too harshly towards the Terriers. I do expect Wofford to be pretty good. My main point is that location is everything... Furman hasn't lost a SoCon game at home for 3 years running (and 6 of the past 10 seasons). Should be a strong SoCon in any case...

I like your humble and factual statement. We all can try to predict till we are blue or purple in the face. Each team has its strengths and weaknesses with eachother. We also change every year and thats what makes it fun. WHO KNOWS ????

I know some people think they do.lol

BrevardMountaineer03
June 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM

I like your SOCON picks. I believe that Furman and Wofford would be in the top 15. I hated that ASU had Wofford, Furman, then Georgia Southern three straight weeks...It was almost, if you could win those 3 games you win the SOCON, no disrespect to any other SOCON team, that was just a hard stretch.

blur2005
June 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Also, one thing about Liberty. Not Top 25 material IMO pre-season, but I think they will now use the "win it for Jerry" rallying cry all season, which will make them more dangerous.xtwocentsx
xrolleyesx

millwoga1
June 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I will not speak for Furman because they are always good and have usually beaten Wofford but I will state why Wofford is preseason top 10. Five may be a little high but they should be top ten for the following reasons.
1. Wofford returns thier top five rushers from a year ago (one
quarterback and four running backs)
2. Wofford returns both of their quarterbacks who played the majority of snaps last year
3. Wofford returns five of their seven top scorers with the only exceptions being the FG kicker and Brandon Berry a WR.
4. Wofford returns four of their five top tacklers with the big exception being Justin Franklin LB. He will be tough to replace!
5. Wofford returns four of their five top leaders in sacks.
Bryan Blair also tough to replace.

Long story short if they can replace the FG kicker, Justin Franklin and Bryan Blair at NG then they will be very good.

The position you can tell the least about by stats is OL and I'm not sure how many starters on the OL they lost .

james_lawfirm
June 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
I will not speak for Furman because they are always good and have usually beaten Wofford but I will state why Wofford is preseason top 10. Five may be a little high but they should be top ten for the following reasons.
2. Wofford returns both of their quarterbacks who played the majority of snaps last year
3. Wofford returns five of their seven top scorers with the only exceptions being the FG kicker and Brandon Berry a WR.
4. Wofford returns four of their five top tacklers with the big exception being Justin Franklin LB. He will be tough to replace!

Long story short if they can replace the FG kicker, Justin Franklin and Bryan Blair at NG then they will be very good.

The position you can tell the least about by stats is OL and I'm not sure how many starters on the OL they lost .

I agree that Wofford will be very good in '07. I had them in my poll at #6. Lots of folks put Furman ahead of them & Wofford back about 10-15. That's the safe bet, but I think this year Wofford will be a little better than Furman.

Looking forward to ASU's trips to Greenville & Spartanburg. (I can't remember which one is which; Furman=Greenville & Wofford=Spartanburg?).

Eyes of Old Main
June 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM

Welcome to AGS! All good reasons for signs pointing to a great season for Wofford. I, like many, see Wofford a bit lower than Lindy's does. I had them #20 in my poll (but I might be sandbagging somewhat), but I agree with the consensus here that puts them in the mid teens.

I have trouble placing them above Furman due to past history, but with the way their schedule breaks down, I think we'll know after the El Cid game where they really stand. If they lose more than once between the Furman, Appalachian and Citadel games, then a conference title is out of reach and the weak OOC slate probably will preclude an at-large.

Eyes of Old Main
June 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Looking forward to ASU's trips to Greenville & Spartanburg.

I know we Terrier fans are circling your visit on our calendars. It should be a great one.

fuEMO
June 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM

First let me state that I too have nothing but respect for Wofford, even though my ex-wife was a Terrier cheerleader:) Your points are well taken but I'll show what Furman returns as a comparison:

1. Wofford returns thier top five rushers from a year ago (one quarterback and four running backs)
Furman returns Jerome Felton, Cerick Gipson, plus their backups and then add Tharry Salley's return, a former Shrine Bowler and one of the most physically gifted players on the entire team.
Furman returns both Renaldo Gray and Jordan Sorrells at quarterback. Gray is healthy and Sorrells looked strong in the spring.
Furman looses Justin Stepp WR and Brad Bell at TE. RJ Webb should replace Stepp. An upgrade in talent, size and speed but Stepp was a dependable receiver. Furman gets Kerion Williams, Adam Mims back. Furman has more speed in 07 to challenge deep.
Furman returns four of their top five tacklers, 8 out of the top ten. Furman returns 19 defensive players off the two deep.
Furman also returns four of their five top sack leaders.

Wofford graduated 3 from the offensive line: LT, LG, RG.

The point has been made here on AGS that Wofford returns a bunch of hungry senior players. Actually Furman will return 14 seniors on the two deep, 2 more than Wofford.