PDA

View Full Version : SavSt Back to Div II?

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM
It's suggested on the 'To-Do' list for the new Savannah State president upon being hired, to consider moving the team back to Div II due to all the embarrassment the university has recieved in their move to Div I...
---------
Sports

The previous administration moved Savannah State athletics to Division I-AA in 2002 to increase revenue and gain national attention. But with only two wins in four seasons, the only national attention the football team has received has been negative. The new administration will have to win back the support of angry and embarrassed boosters and may have to consider a return to Division II.

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/293089

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 08:24 AM
It's suggested on the 'To-Do' list for the new Savannah State president upon being hired, to consider moving the team back to Div II due to all the embarrassment the university has recieved in their move to Div I...
---------
Sports

The previous administration moved Savannah State athletics to Division I-AA in 2002 to increase revenue and gain national attention. But with only two wins in four seasons, the only national attention the football team has received has been negative. The new administration will have to win back the support of angry and embarrassed boosters and may have to consider a return to Division II.

http://www.savannahnow.com/node/293089
It'll probably be in their best interest. Like Morris Brown when they tried to move up to Division I. That school had issues larger than athletics xnonono2x

bobbythekidd
May 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
It'll probably be in their best interest. Like Morris Brown when they tried to move up to Division I. That school had issues larger than athletics xnonono2x

This school has larger issues than athletics as well. They have no business playing at this level until they get their other issues straitened out. Fiscally speaking, it would only help them until they can make the transition again.

appfan2008
May 27th, 2007, 08:39 AM
its a bummer that it has been so rough for sav st but it has... both on and off the field... it is time for them to move backwards

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I hope they get things together. I also hope that these schools understand that you gotta have your house in order before you make this kind of move, especially some kind of conference affiliation. If you have money problems and administration issues, being independent doesn't help.

Kill'em
May 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
To add to their embarrassment, they couldn't beat the D-II schools on their schedule. I still think Coach Lemon has a chance to make SSU successful, especially if they move down.

PantherRob82
May 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
xeekx wow.

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Do you feel as if there is any other schools that has issues bigger than athletics right now?

BigApp
May 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Not disagreeing that they shouldn't, but I'll believe it when I see it.

downbythebeach
May 27th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Has anyone kept up with the situation at Morris Brown? At one point they had something like 44 students total, and had lost all accreditation. I think now they have 200 or so, but still a long fall.

Savannah, Georgia is a great city though and a nice college town with SCAD.

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Has anyone kept up with the situation at Morris Brown? At one point they had something like 44 students total, and had lost all accreditation. I think now they have 200 or so, but still a long fall.

They are still trying to back to get. Basically they are an African Methodist Episcopal Church School, and the church needs to start supporting like the Bishop in Florida did for Edward Waters College. Morris Brown got caught up trying to join the SWAC and the presidents didn't accept them.

Do you feel as if there is any other schools that has issues bigger than athletics right now?

Personally I don't want to speak without full knowledge, but I'll say it like this I think most HBCUs have those issues with leadership, including mine. It's time that we start making sure our houses are in order before we chase dreams. Some of the smaller schools have that problem.

Kill'em
May 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Don't forget about Armstrong Atlantic St. Savannah is a very small town to support three schools. Besides, Savannah has a reputation of being so laid back, it doesn't support anything except St Patricks Day.

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Personally I don't want to speak without full knowledge, but I'll say it like this I think most HBCUs have those issues with leadership, including mine. It's time that we start making sure our houses are in order before we chase dreams. Some of the smaller schools have that problem.

I saw on the MEAC board how Norfolk State's viability as a Div I school is mentioned. It seems to me that based on their All-Mens Trophies, that they aren't doing so bad...

And I know of ongoing trials and tribulations with Texas Southern...

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I saw a post on the D-II board about Sav St. today. I was hoping they could get in the MEAC as a 14th member if the MEAC ever decides to invite NCCU.

TT, do you think Sav St. is gonna go though with moving back to D-II?

If Sav St. leaves won't another D-II CIAA or SIAC school want to move to D-I to get into the MEAC with NCCU?

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I saw a post on the D-II board about Sav St. today. I was hoping they could get in the MEAC as a 14th member if the MEAC ever decides to invite NCCU.

Jafus Kavil wrote in the I-AA.org Fall Magazine that SSU wasn't too high in priority as far as MEAC expansion goes in comparison to WSSU and NCCU.

We'll see what happens when the new President is hired...

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I hope they stay and somehow get into the MEAC

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Don't forget about Armstrong Atlantic St. Savannah is a very small town to support three schools. Besides, Savannah has a reputation of being so laid back, it doesn't support anything except St Patricks Day.

And UGAy...

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I hope they stay and somehow get into the MEAC
I think the MEAC has the teams they want with Winston-Salem and NCCU. I don't think there's a lot of respect from the MEAC towards Savannah State.

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Technically NCCU is not in yet. There has been no offical announcement only NCCU assuming they will get back in. Where they said they are going back to D-I and will rejoin the MEAC.

They should get in if the MEAC is okay with 13 schools

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Technically NCCU is not in yet. There has been no offical announcement only NCCU assuming they will get back in. Where they said they are going back to D-I and will rejoin the MEAC.

They should get in if the MEAC is okay with 13 schools
I don't see why they wouldn't get in they have a natural rivalry with NCA&T. I don't know who the 14th team would be if they go that far. Maybe one of the Virginia schools or Albany State. xconfusedx

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Said publicly or not...it's beyond a foregone conclusion that NCCU has admission once the MEAC meets on said issue...

GCWaters
May 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I grew up in Statesboro, spent a lot of time in Savannah...Savannah's a great town in a lot of ways (and a crappy town in a lot of ways), but one thing its not is a college town....

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
There never was ANY doubt that N.C. Central was going into the MEAC. I have a lot of contacts with MEAC and CIAA circles from my volleyball officiating and it WILL happen. NC Central is as prepared to make the move to Division I as any team that has taken the plunge in recent years. This is a program that is solid across the board athletically, not just in football.

Fresno State Alum, what are you talking about "going back to D-I" and "rejoining" the MEAC?

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
They used to be in the MEAC according to the NCCU website. There was an article about it when they said they were moving up

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
here's the story
DURHAM -- An N.C. Central University trustee committee approved moving the university's sports programs up to NCAA Division I competition Tuesday.

The recommendation goes today to the full board of trustees, who are expected to approve a formal application to join the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

They also will consider undergraduate tuition and fee increases totaling $300 and 10 percent higher food service charges next school year.

Although NCCU was a founding member of the MEAC in the 1970s, it soon switched to the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, which plays at the Division II-A level. Football for NCCU in the MEAC would be at the AA level.

The trustees had been operating under a deadline of Dec. 1 to apply this year. A recent guideline change would have allowed them to do so by June 1, said Trustee Glenn Adams, who chaired the Trustee-Student Relations Committee.

"But we want to go ahead," since the trustees and others have given the issue ample consideration, Adams said. On student government Trustee Renee Clark's motion, the move was approved unanimously by a voice vote of the committee's five members. Athletics Director Bill Hayes made a fist in victory as he left the meeting hall.

But the easy part for Hayes will end with today's formal vote, Adams said after Tuesday's meeting. Then the four- to five-year process begins, in which NCCU meets Division I criteria in upgraded facilities, athletics scholarships and two additional intercollegiate sports, which are likely to be baseball and women's golf

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mr C, who do you think the MEAC will get to be at 14 members? Virginia Union? anyone else?

Mr. C
May 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Why do they need 14 members? I would think someone would leave and make it 12 before they would get 14. Having 14 is too many for ANY league.

ButlerGSU
May 27th, 2007, 05:23 PM

SCAD is a internationally respected school. Armstrong Atlantic State is also a good school.

dbackjon
May 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Why do they need 14 members? I would think someone would leave and make it 12 before they would get 14. Having 14 is too many for ANY league.

Amen!!!

13,14, 16 - way to many to be considered a conference. You end up with ridiculous outcomes like the Big East, where in Basketball not all teams even play each other ONCE.

Fresno St. Alum
May 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Who would leave? Delaware St. won't go now, who would go to get it to 12? Seems easier to add 1 to get to 14. 13 b-ball 11 fb will be rough for scheduling

813Jag
May 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Who would leave? Delaware St. won't go now, who would go to get it to 12? Seems easier to add 1 to get to 14. 13 b-ball 11 fb will be rough for scheduling

I don't know who would leave. I really don't see anyone leaving. xconfusedx A few years ago the SWAC was courting FAMU but why would they give up what they have to join the SWAC? Same thought as with Tennessee St. who the were also courting.

Kill'em
May 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
And UGAy...

Did you have to remind me? xnonono2x

I feel strongly that SSU will move back to D-II.

Seawolf97
May 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM
If they go back , I hope they can regroup and come back into D-I as a more competitve team.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know who would leave. I really don't see anyone leaving. xconfusedx A few years ago the SWAC was courting FAMU but why would they give up what they have to join the SWAC? Same thought as with Tennessee St. who the were also courting.

At some point, the MEAC schools are going to have some sort of schism. Do we want to be a playoff school, or SWAC lite? The faultlines are not obvious, but they appear to be there.

I think at some point, there's a breakup or another football division. Perhaps the MEAC keeps all the basketball schools, and the MEAC breaks up - just a hunch. Maybe it breaks up like this:

MEAC (still in playoffs)
Hampton
SC State
Norfolk State
Delaware State
Morgan State
FAMU
B-CC

SWEAC (play SWAC OOC, play "Black Championship Game")
Howard
NC A&T
NCCU
WSSU
Sav State
Virginia Union

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Interesting LFN, I think that Virginia Union should be at the top of the list for a 14th member of the MEAC if they stay the way they are and Sav St. goes back to D-II

What makes the bottom set of schools want to be in a Black Title game and not the playoffs like the top set?

813Jag
May 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM
At some point, the MEAC schools are going to have some sort of schism. Do we want to be a playoff school, or SWAC lite? The faultlines are not obvious, but they appear to be there.

I think at some point, there's a breakup or another football division. Perhaps the MEAC keeps all the basketball schools, and the MEAC breaks up - just a hunch. Maybe it breaks up like this:

MEAC (still in playoffs)
Hampton
SC State
Norfolk State
Delaware State
Morgan State
FAMU
B-CC

Howard
NC A&T
NCCU
WSSU
Sav State
Virginia Union
I kinda see where you're going but those 2nd tier teams aren't very attractive teams to us. We (SWAC) have little tradition with them. And outside of NC A&T and Howard most SWAC schools haven't the the rest more than once.
Besides after last year I don't want anything to do with NCCU xlolx

gr8ness97
May 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Va Union isnt gonna move up, as they are close to being broke from what I here...VA State is what i think you all are refering to, and its in their year plan to move up to Division I. I also think the MEAC will break up but the schools that will prob leave would be NCAT, SCSU, FAMU Hampton and maybe Del. State in the more distant future....

813Jag
May 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I don't think FAMU is going anywhere. I can see Hampton and S.C. State moving on.

AppGuy04
May 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
SSU easily has one of the worst DI basketball and football programs. Was it ESPN that has the Savannah St winless watch during basketball season a few years back?

Kill'em
May 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Their baseball team has been very competitve. Last year they beat Florida St. The basketball team made big improvement this year and played a murderous schedule. The football team really needs work.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Personally I don't want to speak without full knowledge, but I'll say it like this I think most HBCUs have those issues with leadership, including mine.

That is absolutely, positively, 100% incorrect. There are a few HBCUs with serious fiscal issues. Some of those same schools have other issues as well. However, to claim that "...most HBCUs..." have fiscal and or leadership issues is not based in fact.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM

If Sav St. leaves won't another D-II CIAA or SIAC school want to move to D-I to get into the MEAC with NCCU?

Savannah State will not be joining the MEAC.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't get in they have a natural rivalry with NCA&T. I don't know who the 14th team would be if they go that far. Maybe one of the Virginia schools or Albany State. xconfusedx

Albany State will not be joining the MEAC. The MEAC will not expand further than allowing NCCU to rejoin.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mr C, who do you think the MEAC will get to be at 14 members? Virginia Union? anyone else?

The MEAC will not have 14 members.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Sav State
Virginia Union

Neither SSU nor VUU are memebers of the MEAC, nor will they ever be.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Va Union isnt gonna move up, as they are close to being broke from what I here...VA State is what i think you all are refering to, and its in their year plan to move up to Division I. I also think the MEAC will break up but the schools that will prob leave would be NCAT, SCSU, FAMU Hampton and maybe Del. State in the more distant future....

1. VUU isn't broke.
2. VSU IS broke and they DO have financial and leadership issues. They will not be moving up anytime soon, and they would not fit the MEAC.

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM

you have any links for Virginia St. moving to FCS?

Fresno St. Alum
May 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
The MEAC will not have 14 members.

So you say they'll sit on 13 when NCCU comes in? That will be rough for football w/11 and 13 for b-ball.

HIU 93
May 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
So you say they'll sit on 13 when NCCU comes in?

Yes.

Bulldog87
May 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM

MEAC (still in playoffs)
Hampton
SC State
Norfolk State
Delaware State
Morgan State
FAMU
B-CC

Howard
NC A&T
NCCU
WSSU
Sav State
Virginia Union The North Carolina schools on your list will not forgo the playoffs. They'll remain in the MEAC. I'm not sure what Howard would do. The HU Alums seem interested in the playoffs but the ADM doesn't put much stock in the sports programs from what I understand. This would be interesting to watch if it ever went down.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
The North Carolina schools on your list will not forgo the playoffs. They'll remain in the MEAC. I'm not sure what Howard would do. The HU Alums seem interested in the playoffs but the ADM doesn't put much stock in the sports programs from what I understand. This would be interesting to watch if it ever went down.

Why is that? NC A&T seems to have given up on fielding competitive teams at all. WSSU and NCC are brand-new teams with playoff history in D-II but not in the MEAC. The "breakup" is along the imagined fault line I invented there, but there's a reason why I chose those schools.

Are CIAA schools that are looking to move up more interested in the FCS playoffs, or playing Grambling/Southern on a regular basis?

Zoo
May 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'd love to see Savannah State have success here at the FCS level, but if they need to go to D-II to do so, then I'll wish them the best.

HIU 93
May 31st, 2007, 08:41 PM
The North Carolina schools on your list will not forgo the playoffs. They'll remain in the MEAC. I'm not sure what Howard would do. The HU Alums seem interested in the playoffs but the ADM doesn't put much stock in the sports programs from what I understand. This would be interesting to watch if it ever went down.

That isn't going to happen.

HIU 93
May 31st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Why is that? NC A&T seems to have given up on fielding competitive teams at all. WSSU and NCC are brand-new teams with playoff history in D-II but not in the MEAC. The "breakup" is along the imagined fault line I invented there, but there's a reason why I chose those schools.

Are CIAA schools that are looking to move up more interested in the FCS playoffs, or playing Grambling/Southern on a regular basis?

No other CIAA schools will be moving up any time soon. WSSU and NCCU are interested in playing in the MEAC, therefore interested in the playoffs.

There will be no breakup of the MEAC, nor any further expansion.

gr8ness97
June 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
No other CIAA schools will be moving up any time soon. WSSU and NCCU are interested in playing in the MEAC, therefore interested in the playoffs.

There will be no breakup of the MEAC, nor any further expansion.

I dont think so...13 is too big for a conference (15 for b-ball). I think that your school (Hampton), SC State and NC A&T are going to leave within the next 10 years. Isn't it rumored that A&T have dreams of going BCS?