PDA

View Full Version : new Wofford SID surprise?

dungeonjoe
August 11th, 2005, 01:51 PM
"Steve Shutt, the associate commissioner for public affairs at the Southern Conference, has been named the associate athletic director for media relations at Wofford College. Wofford Director of Athletics Richard Johnson made the announcement today."

press release from Wofford

henfan
August 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I agree. Good hire for Wofford. Quite an incestuous relationship between the WC AD and the SoCon head office as of late.

GSUBass
August 11th, 2005, 02:27 PM
already been posted on TSC..but gotta do it here too...

Does he have a black belt in karate like Kung Fu Ayers?

:D :D
oh man, that never gets old.

Eagle22
August 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I agree. Good hire for Wofford. Quite an incestuous relationship between the WC AD and the SoCon head office as of late.

Just following a move from former commissioner Danny Morrison. Morrison hired Mark Cohen ... :)

http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/genrel/080305aaa.html

I was wondering when I read the Wofford article, where Cohen went. I decided to glance at TCU's website on a hunch, and can't say I was surprised to find the above link.

Good luck to Steve and Mark in their new positions... both guys have done a lot for I-AA football ...

Cincy App
August 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
A good hire for Wofford. The SoCon office has been an extension of Wofford College anyway...

On another note, the SoCon commissioner's office continues to have frequent turnover. The Commissioner and Associate positions do not appear to be coveted jobs.

dungeonjoe
August 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
On another note, the SoCon commissioner's office continues to have frequent turnover. The Commissioner and Associate positions do not appear to be coveted jobs.

any thoughts as to why?

blueballs
August 11th, 2005, 04:05 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, or lack thereof.

Cincy App
August 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
any thoughts as to why?

Good question. Maybe it's the pay or lack of prestige but I really don't know. Still, I'm not impressed by the jobs that Morrison, Waters, White, associates, etc. have taken on their way out.

dungeonjoe
August 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Good question. Maybe it's the pay or lack of prestige but I really don't know. Still, I'm not impressed by the jobs that Morrison, Waters, White, associates, etc. have taken on their way out.

How does the tenure in SoCon administration compare with others? I wonder if there are dynamics in the conference that affect staff tenure. Is the Commish the lackey or a leader?

Coastal89
August 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
One big dysfunctioal family. :eek:

dungeonjoe
August 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM
One big dysfunctioal family. :eek:

that you want to be a part of????

rokamortis
August 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM
yeah - we'd fit right in ;)

Cincy App
August 11th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Ralph, are these conference commish turnover rates primarily due to low pay compared to their responsibilities? There seems to be no other logical explanation.

Regarding Morrison, I don't hate him but certainly didn't like his footprint or direction for the SoCon. I'm sure he has no love lost for ASU either. Anyway, that's past history now.

SoCon48
August 12th, 2005, 08:54 AM
It was hard to even half way cover up Morrison's favoritsm toward the small private and South Carolina schools.

dungeonjoe
August 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM
It was hard to even half way cover up Morrison's favoritsm toward the small private and South Carolina schools.

Oops, sorry you stumbled on to the vast conspiracy of the Palmetto Alliance to hijack and ruin the SoCon. Resistance is futile-- come and join the dark side of the conference while you still can ;)

Paladin05
August 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM

What did Morrison do to favor any S. Carolina or private other than Wofford?

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM
According to most anti - Morrison Posters he gave us Elon

Paladin05
August 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
According to most anti - Morrison Posters he gave us Elon

The league presidents gave us Elon...Danny Morrison didn't vote them into the league. I'm not claiming he didn't want them in. Just saying it was the presidents that voted to bring them in the league.

I've really never seen a good list of what Morrison was personally doing that showed sooo much love to Wofford, Furman, Elon, Citadel and others. Usually people just post that he played favorites and expect everyone to take their post for a fact.

OL FU
August 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
The league presidents gave us Elon...Danny Morrison didn't vote them into the league. I'm not claiming he didn't want them in. Just saying it was the presidents that voted to bring them in the league.

I've really never seen a good list of what Morrison was personally doing that showed sooo much love to Wofford, Furman, Elon, Citadel and others. Usually people just post that he played favorites and expect everyone to take their post for a fact.

I didn't say "I say" , I said the anti-Morrison posters say :confused: .

SoCon48
August 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I didn't say "I say" , I said the anti-Morrison posters say :confused: .

Which are spot on.

SoCon48
August 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
What did Morrison do to favor any S. Carolina or private other than Wofford?

Other than Wofford? You got me there, except his first speech on acceptance was talking about the "niche" of the SoCon and used Furman-Newberry game with Frank Selvy as his long prime example. The SoCon saw to it that the S Carolina schools were heavily covered by TV excluding the games paid for by the schools.
Moved the office from Asheville to Spartanburg.
Players of the Week in football were chosen with a heavy slant to Wofford even when the top runners were even and the Woffies played a light weight and the other played a top program. Especially Danny's first year.

SoCon48
August 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Oops, sorry you stumbled on to the vast conspiracy of the Palmetto Alliance to hijack and ruin the SoCon. Resistance is futile-- come and join the dark side of the conference while you still can ;)

I'd make light of DannyBoy's favoritism if I was a Woffie (Danny's alma mater)

All I can say is "Thank God and Greyhound he's gone."
Maybe the SoCon will get someone who can get us back to where we were when he took over. :mad: :o :o

FU97
August 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM

And what exactly is wrong with moving the office out of a city without a team into one with a team?

I'm far from a Danny fan, but this arguement is crazy.

As for TV games, the TV stations have a lot more to do with what they want to show. Furman has paid for a lot more of their games over the last few years than have been "SoCon" games. Frankly, GSU seems to get the majority of the TV games.

SoCon48
August 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Spartanburg. Seems like that added to the symptoms of favoritism the particular schools enjoyed.
Anyway. Morrison sukked.

The home of the Atlantic Coast Conference is in a city without a member school..as it should be.

dungeonjoe
August 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'd make light of DannyBoy's favoritism if I was a Woffie (Danny's alma mater)

All I can say is "Thank God and Greyhound he's gone."
Maybe the SoCon will get someone who can get us back to where we were when he took over. :mad: :o :o
he may be gone but the rants about SC small schools will no doubt continue

asufan87
August 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Morrison didn't cast a vote for Elon, but he sure put them on the table to be voted on by the membership. Just who else did he bother doing due diligence on besides Elon for membership? He quite honestly may have been a nice guy, but as a commissioner he never articulated a vision or direction for the conference as a whole. Didn't display much in the leadership department in my opinion.

Paladin05
August 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Other than Wofford? You got me there, except his first speech on acceptance was talking about the "niche" of the SoCon and used Furman-Newberry game with Frank Selvy as his long prime example. The SoCon saw to it that the S Carolina schools were heavily covered by TV excluding the games paid for by the schools.
Players of the Week in football were chosen with a heavy slant to Wofford even when the top runners were even and the Woffies played a light weight and the other played a top program. Especially Danny's first year.

Whats wrong with citing the Furman-Newberry game and Frank Selvy...he scored 100 points! Its an event that I've read about in SI, USA Today, etc. It would be hard to name very many more famous events dealing with a current SoCon school.

According to the people i know in and around the SoCon, the move to Spartanburg came because the city pursued the league with a great new office building in the old mill(don't know the name) that came at a fraction of the cost of the Asheville rent. Also, the center of the league has shifted south anyway since GSU, Wof and CofC joined the league and VMI and Marshall left.

As for T.V., I never noticed any favorites there other than maybe the top teams. Where's the proof that the Sc teams were favored? Before this past year I had not seen a listing of who paid for what games on TV. GSU and Furman seem to pay for alot of their's to be shown...that isn't the SoCon's fault nor is it the league's job to even it out by showing the other schools in the games its paying for.

GSU vs. FU, GSU vs. ASU, FU vs. ASU have always been the most desirable games. Lately, with there success Wof vs. GSU and Wof vs. Fur have become big. Most other games were paid for by the schools. I don't think that shows that favorites are being played.

Every school in the league complains from time to time about a player of the week selection...one of my friends in the league pointed out that many times when a group of fans get angry at the POTW pick, the guy they wanted wasn't even nominated by their school's SID.

I'm not a big fan of Morrison. I wasn't really in favor of Elon joining the league and don't care much for Wofford outside of football, but Morrison has always been used as the fans scapegoat for issues create by their own school's presidents and ADs.

Mr. C
August 13th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Danny Morrison didn't vote on the player of the week selections. There is a panal of media and SID folks from around the league that vote every week on the nominees that each team makes.

For all of his supposed foibles, Danny was the most media friendly commissioner that the SoCon has ever had. He was a pleasure for us to work with and was extremely well-liked by just about everyone I know in SoCon media circles. He made it a point to communicate things with writers and would even pull certain prominent media members aside to fill them in on some of the things happening on the inside of the conference offices. I never was at an event that Morrison was also attending where he didn't go out of his way to make sure and say hello and make himself available for questions. I can only hope that his replacement will foster a similar approach to the media.

The SoCon's current problems really didn't have much to do with Morrison. They were made by other commissioners, or the school presidents and ADs. Danny may not have left a definitive mark on the conference (he was more of a caretaker), but in one writer's opinion, he was a really nice, classy guy.

SoCon48
August 13th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Morrison didn't cast a vote for Elon, but he sure put them on the table to be voted on by the membership. Just who else did he bother doing due diligence on besides Elon for membership? He quite honestly may have been a nice guy, but as a commissioner he never articulated a vision or direction for the conference as a whole. Didn't display much in the leadership department in my opinion.

Amen.