PDA

View Full Version : FCS football only conferences

Lion1983
December 19th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Just been in my mind recently...

Would the FCS be better off having all football only conferences?

Meaning, OVC, Big South, SoCon and so on, drop football and let all football schools in the FCS align themselves to form football only conferences. Keep the rest of the "Mid-Major" sports in their conferences.

I think this would be better. What's your thoughts?

Baron Sardonicus
December 19th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Not sure what the upside would be.

Mixing members of multiple all-sports conferences should be a last resort, because it weakens rivalries.

"Who is your rival?" Ideally, the answer should be the same, regardless of the sport.

cx500d
December 19th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Just been in my mind recently...

Would the FCS be better off having all football only conferences?

Meaning, OVC, Big South, SoCon and so on, drop football and let all football schools in the FCS align themselves to form football only conferences. Keep the rest of the "Mid-Major" sports in their conferences.

I think this would be better. What's your thoughts?

Its called the MVFC, for example.

JayJ79
December 19th, 2019, 11:08 AM
The only benefit I can see from this would be if the number of teams in each football-only conference was capped at 9 so that a team played all of their conference-mates every season like a conference was meant to do.

But besides that, I don't see any other benefits.

also, what in the heck is a "Mid-Major" sport?

Sycamore62
December 19th, 2019, 11:16 AM
The only benefit I can see from this would be if the number of teams in each football-only conference was capped at 9 so that a team played all of their conference-mates every season like a conference was meant to do.

probably the ones where you dont ask yourself if those are even college sports

Catatonic
December 19th, 2019, 11:28 AM

If it ain’t football, it’s a mid-major sport. Nuff said.

clenz
December 19th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Its called the MVFC, for example.And the CAA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
December 19th, 2019, 12:00 PM
And the CAA

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
well, the "CAA Football Conference" at least.
at least the MVFC has the decency to have its own acronym.

Lion1983
December 19th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Its called the MVFC, for example.

That's what I am getting at. The MVFC and CAA are the exception at the moment. The Big South is a hybrid to an extent. But the benefits to me are, you can be even more regional with a football conference. Or align your school with other football playing schools that you either consider rivals, or peer or whatever.

Case in point, UNA and KSU are in the ASUN. They may turn into a good rivalry sure. I'm sure that KSU thinks Mercer is more their rival. I know that UNA thinks JSU is theirs. JSU and Mercer is in two different conferences than UNA and KSU. So why not, for football only (if the schools agree to it) have a conference of UNA, JSU, Samford, KSU, Mercer, Chattanooga, ETSU, Tennessee Tech and Austin Peay? That was just hypothetical, dont need any pointing out how one school would never because they are the tallest midget...

Lion1983
December 19th, 2019, 12:28 PM
My main point is Football is a total difference animal than basketball, baseball and so on.

Lion1983
December 19th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Not sure what the upside would be.

Mixing members of multiple all-sports conferences should be a last resort, because it weakens rivalries.

"Who is your rival?" Ideally, the answer should be the same, regardless of the sport.

Maybe "ideally" but often not the case.
Your biggest football rival, may or may not be your biggest basketball rival.

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2019, 07:40 AM
While YSU is in the MVFC for football, all its other sports are in the Horizon League except for some oddball sports( Bowling,etc) that are affiliated with other leagues. Done for cheaper costs of travel. Period.