PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Bowl is about more than football for A&T

Pages : [1] 2

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 08:29 AM
GREENSBORO — It’s almost time for A&T’s annual football game in Atlanta. The MEAC champs are headed back to the Celebration Bowl, a game the Aggies appear destined to play year-in and year-out.

No one talks about A&T going to the NCAA playoffs any more. That’s a waste of time and money. The Celebration Bowl pays, and the dividends are about much more than football.

This is a national game, broadcast on ABC. The audience of more than 2.3 million in 2018 exceeded viewership of 13 FBS bowl games, the two FCS semifinals and the FCS national championship, according to Sports Media Watch. The Celebration Bowl is about exposure, not just for the football program but for the band, for the city and the university, from the athletics department to the science and engineering departments.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/columns/ed-hardin-celebration-bowl-is-about-more-than-football-for/article_02751338-da9e-5a4b-af01-b09c5a6dc2b5.html

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/greensboro.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/55/155a776a-22b7-55fc-a010-2bdc3a0af685/5df924903fcc5.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 08:39 AM
GREENSBORO — It’s almost time for A&T’s annual football game in Atlanta. The MEAC champs are headed back to the Celebration Bowl, a game the Aggies appear destined to play year-in and year-out.

No one talks about A&T going to the NCAA playoffs any more. That’s a waste of time and money. The Celebration Bowl pays, and the dividends are about much more than football.

This is a national game, broadcast on ABC. The audience of more than 2.3 million in 2018 exceeded viewership of 13 FBS bowl games, the two FCS semifinals and the FCS national championship, according to Sports Media Watch. The Celebration Bowl is about exposure, not just for the football program but for the band, for the city and the university, from the athletics department to the science and engineering departments.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/columns/ed-hardin-celebration-bowl-is-about-more-than-football-for/article_02751338-da9e-5a4b-af01-b09c5a6dc2b5.html

Man Fuggg the FCS Playoffs !!

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/greensboro.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/55/155a776a-22b7-55fc-a010-2bdc3a0af685/5df924903fcc5.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2019, 08:53 AM
"When you go to the playoffs, you lose money,” the A&T coach said. “That’s the reality. We’d have to get to the quarterfinals just to break even."

wapiti
December 18th, 2019, 09:05 AM
But if you did participate in the playoffs and you won your first round game you just doubled your post season attendance and thus doubled your revenue.
I have seen many HBCU fans brag about their attendance. Why not bring that attendance to the playoffs and get that revenue multiple times?????

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Dec 21st should be a 3 hour A&T commercial

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 09:27 AM
More FCS Conferences should weigh their options instead of the current system...None of us should be forced into a "Pay for play" post season.

Bowl games have a branding element that regular-season games and even playoff games do not. They’re opportunities for schools to remind people that it’s not just a college that plays football but a football team from, in A&T’s case, a research university with nationally recognized programs in mathematics, engineering, agriculture, environmental sciences, education, technology, business and economics.

Lion1983
December 18th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Man Fuggg the FCS Playoffs !!

The moral of the story...

The FBS has way too many bowl games...

kdinva
December 18th, 2019, 09:34 AM
But if you did participate in the playoffs and you won your first round game you just doubled your post season attendance and thus doubled your revenue.
I have seen many HBCU fans brag about their attendance. Why not bring that attendance to the playoffs and get that revenue multiple times?????

This........plus you'd think they would want to find out how they measure with the top 10 of FCS overall, on the field.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 09:36 AM
"When you go to the playoffs, you lose money,” the A&T coach said. “That’s the reality. We’d have to get to the quarterfinals just to break even."

That's why I'm glad we are doing something that works for us...football is regional and cultural. A playoff system doesn't work for football the way it does for basketball. Teams, staff, band, fans, etc...expected to travel to a different location every week...outside of their regions and areas of interest...and FCS folks make excuses about lack of fan interest. Blame it on the holidays, students being gone, you name it...They just won't except the reality. Nobody want to lose money to play games against schools nobody has heard of, or teams nobody wants to see. If that isn't bad enough you have to pay for that and lose money along the way.

This weekend, the Aggies will play in their third straight Celebration Bowl, the fourth in five years. And they’ll bring home a million bucks.
For a school ranked 180th in the country in total revenue in 2018, that’s a lot of money.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 09:38 AM

in theory , it makes sense. But no HBCU has made it past the 1st round in 20 years. We are talking a 600k check and 200K in tickets. You can't guarantee that with a home playoff. Look at the playoff games with inclement weather , this year. That cost them. This is a sure thing.

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 09:48 AM
This........plus you'd think they would want to find out how they measure with the top 10 of FCS overall, on the field.

HBCUs play competing rivals from other fcs conferences during OOC play, here and there. There's your measuring stick. Even my re-surging PVAMU battled playoff participant Nicholls St this past season (check the score). There's no profitability to be found ANYWHEREbringing the historical fcs/former i-aa attendance leaders into the "fcs playoffs." No one here is smarter than our conference CEOs and certainly do not align w/ their ideologies, like we alums, for the most part.

There is no HBCU skin in the fcs playoff game. I think whatever the fcs playoff committee is doing appears to be working solidly, as it is. Keep up the good work @ the soccer stadium in lesser known "frisco." lol.

Next.

GAD
December 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM
That works if you host a second round game, but who's to say that you will? FCS is just to spread out to travel every week like that on short notice

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 09:50 AM

You can't do this in the regular season ?

GAD
December 18th, 2019, 09:56 AM
We do, but we are not going to sacrifice $millions$ just to prove it

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 09:57 AM
You can't do this in the regular season ?

Sure you can! Look at this... a video of a playoff participant and the 3rd place finisher SWAC West fall 2019..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VG2mYJ4sY

Nicholls St blew Prairie View A&M University out 109-7 and PVAMU never led at any juncture during the game lol.

Seriously, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, considering, since Nicholls was ranked #10 at that time in fcs and we were looking to exact revenge on the Southland conf member. God forbid but Nicholls also bused its band to the game. Much kudos to them for helping create a festive football environment.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 09:59 AM

If a school is interested, a program can schedule whoever they want OOC to see how they measure up against the rest of the FCS...but that's only if they are interested. A&T plays NDSU next year, but...seriously, most people in my circle have never heard of the school...could careless about how many championships they have won, and have no intention of traveling to the tourist hot spot of North Dakota LOL !!

That's just being honest.

For me and many like me first and foremost I enjoy seeing A&T play against other HBCUs. It's cultural, and mixing it up with friends, family, neighbors, and church members on the games, teams, traditions, and schools goes back generations...Those ties just can't be beat. That's the reason you see such high attendance numbers at the HBCUs. You won't see schools like Grambling or Southern give up the Bayou Classic...in exchange for the FCS Playoffs...never!

After HBCU games I like regional games...I'm familiar with schools in the Southeast and if A&T scheduled games with some of those schools it could draw some fan interest.

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2019, 10:24 AM
So which AGS'ers are going to the Benz in Atlanta on Saturday? I will be there and will probably be intoxicated by Halftime.

kdinva
December 18th, 2019, 10:33 AM
If a school is interested, a program can schedule whoever they want OOC ......For me and many like me first and foremost I enjoy seeing A&T play against other HBCUs. It's cultural, and mixing it up with friends, family, neighbors, and church members on the games, teams, traditions, and schools goes back generations...

Noted.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 10:39 AM
So which AGS'ers are going to the Benz in Atlanta on Saturday? I will be there and will probably be intoxicated by Halftime.

I will be in the dome by 11 in the club level under the stadium. Will go to my seat after kickoff

PAllen
December 18th, 2019, 10:49 AM
They've found something that works. It gets them more exposure than FCS playoff participation ever did, or ever would. I would bet that more people know about A&T than know anything about JMU.

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 10:59 AM

I won't be there in person this year but I did purchase 4 tix and gave those to a classmate and his family who live in the outer ATL. I'll be watching from texas. I double-supported via my viewership w/ tv and w/ my $$$ to pay for tix.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM
If a school is interested, a program can schedule whoever they want OOC to see how they measure up against the rest of the FCS...but that's only if they are interested. A&T plays NDSU next year, but...seriously, most people in my circle have never heard of the school...could careless about how many championships they have won, and have no intention of traveling to the tourist hot spot of North Dakota LOL !!

That's just being honest.

For me and many like me first and foremost I enjoy seeing A&T play against other HBCUs. It's cultural, and mixing it up with friends, family, neighbors, and church members on the games, teams, traditions, and schools goes back generations...Those ties just can't be beat. That's the reason you see such high attendance numbers at the HBCUs. You won't see schools like Grambling or Southern give up the Bayou Classic...in exchange for the FCS Playoffs...never!

After HBCU games I like regional games...I'm familiar with schools in the Southeast and if A&T scheduled games with some of those schools it could draw some fan interest.
these are very valid points and budgets (i.e. attendance) matter, so I don't have an issue per se with the celebration bowl. but what athlete or team doesn't want to prove themselves where it matters, and against the best teams ??

All that said ... and I'm obviously not talking to you here .... but then don't come onto AGS FCS forum boasting how good you are and how you are better and would do this and that in playoffs when there is so very little evidence to support the arguments and what evidence there is, strongly suggests otherwise. By the way, we give a lot of sh-t to Ivy league for making the same claims .. they have been ripped mercilously at times for this.

But MEAC just is not a 3 bid league, so theyre 3rd best team does not deserve a bid ... they're not even a 2 bid league and they're not alone either. The other 1 bid leagues leagues just aren't on here boasting and complaining like some from MEAC do.

But again, I agree with why you are trying to establish more traditional post season competitions ... it works for you.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM

I'm leaving tomorrow for a great weekend in Atlanta. You know how the AGGIES do!

The A&T ticket allotment sold out in less than 24 hours and all the Club Level seats on the MEAC side were gone by the time I was ready to purchase tickets. I had to get club seats on the SWAC side, but it's all HBCU love...I don't know how they do things in Mississippi, but those Alcorn Fans will have to hear me yelling "AGGIE Pride"

PAllen
December 18th, 2019, 11:39 AM
these are very valid points and budgets (i.e. attendance) matter, so I don't have an issue per se with the celebration bowl. but what athlete or team doesn't want to prove themselves where it matters, and against the best teams ??

All that said ... and I'm obviously not talking to you here .... but then don't come onto AGS FCS forum boasting how good you are and how you are better and would do this and that in playoffs when there is so very little evidence to support the arguments and what evidence there is, strongly suggests otherwise. By the way, we give a lot of sh-t to Ivy league for making the same claims .. they have been ripped mercilously at times for this.

But MEAC just is not a 3 bid league, so theyre 3rd best team does not deserve a bid ... they're not even a 2 bid league and they're not alone either. The other 1 bid leagues leagues just aren't on here boasting and complaining like some from MEAC do.

But again, I agree with why you are trying to establish more traditional post season competitions ... it works for you.

To the average high school kid (or even college kid at an FCS school), do the FCS playoffs really matter more than the chance to play on ABC?

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 11:48 AM
To the average high school kid (or even college kid at an FCS school), do the FCS playoffs really matter more than the chance to play on ABC?

Very good question.

We just landed a decently touted former 4* downgraded to 3* DE (laughable w/ the downgrade) from a CC who held offers from Southland, SWAC, MEAC, and OVC conferences (fcs ranks) and also offers from 1 Sunbelt, 1 MAC, and 3 AAC as well.

I kinda' sorta' understand why he chose PVAMU over those offered schools. He understands what we are ultimately playing for (SWAC W title, SWAC title, and Celebration Bowl title).

katss07
December 18th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Does the attendance matter if the football is irrelevant?

Half of these HBCUs will be gone soon.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Where are they going ?

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Where are they going ?

That was the first thing that popped into my head as well ??

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 12:33 PM
i would say absolutely, yes ... I played a college sport. Post season means everything .. its a chance to extend your season. As a HS recruit, one of the boxes you want to be able to chekc is does that college compete and make their playoffs regularly. It's not complicated .... you just want to prove yourself, and win to extend your season. It's basic human survival instincts only in a sport. I honestly don't get people who so easily dismiss what it means to miss out on a playoff bid that you deserved. Or all the hand wringing over NDSU winning 7 of 8 .. it is a 24 team playoff, everyone just wants to go as far as they can to prove themselves. Knowing only 1 team can win it does not matter .. it is not any more complicated than that. And the committee is obligated to reward the best teams ... and take the criticism when they screw up. It means the world to that team and they do not care if anyone else doesn't care. Its the way it should be in all sports.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM

It's only irrelevant to FCS playoffs. it's not irrelevant to HBCUs .. I have zero issue with them creating their own game(s). Just don't come here making unsubstanatied claims of being better .. we don't let Ivys do it, were not letting MEAC do it. In fact, I take much more issue with the Ivys claims than MEAC's claims. Their inconsistency in explaining their hyposcritical positions on basketball vs football postseason participation ... holds almost zero water.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Is the football relevant if no one cares to watch it?

FCS football in its current format will be gone soon.

Sader87
December 18th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Football at the college level is just not conducive to a 4 (or 5) week playoff....season is too long, interferes with Thanksgiving&Christmas(for fans), academics/finals for the student-athletes etc. etc...just too many down-sides imo....the MEAC and Ivy schools aren't wrong in this thinking.

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 01:14 PM

He's jealous and is a typical follower who should be totally ignored. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Football at the college level is just not conducive to a 4 (or 5) week playoff....season is too long, interferes with Thanksgiving&Christmas(for fans), academics/finals for the student-athletes etc. etc...just too many down-sides imo....the MEAC and Ivy schools aren't wrong in this thinking.

The SWAC was the innovator, not the MEAC. Lets not confuse the truth.

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 01:15 PM
in theory , it makes sense. But no HBCU has made it past the 1st round in 20 years. We are talking a 600k check and 200K in tickets. You can't guarantee that with a home playoff. Look at the playoff games with inclement weather , this year. That cost them. This is a sure thing.

Bottom line is you cant compete so youre staying in the comfort of your sandbox. I understand all the rhetoric but thats the bottom line.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 01:16 PM

No. Our players who played in the 2015 Celebration Bowl and then in the 2016 FCS playoffs all said they liked the bowl experience better. We have gotten transfers in who said , they were coming because they wanted to play in the bowl.

kdinva
December 18th, 2019, 01:17 PM

You sound like the Dean in the movie "Necessary roughness"......

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM

xcoffeexxrolleyesx

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 01:20 PM

What I find decently "funny" about your statement is the FACTUAL truth that sam houston state university will die a horrible financial death before Prairie View A&M University would EVER be considered. :D Fact. (X 1876 a. times)

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Bottom line is you cant compete so youre staying in the comfort of your sandbox. I understand all the rhetoric but thats the bottom line.

It honestly doesn't matter if we compete or not.

A&T beat the OVC champ Jacksonville State in 2018. It was brushed off as luck. A&T was dominated the entire game.

SCSU beat the SoCon champ this season. The talking point was , Wofford had a new offense

So it honestly doesn't matter what HBCU conferences do , they will always be thought as less than.

So we have this bowl, it generates money and recognition for our programs and schools. Is what it is

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 01:22 PM
“The FCS playoffs are a break-even best scenario,” Hilton said. “It’s my first time on this side of it, but I’ve been on the site rep side and know how it looks from there.”
A lot of teams that go deep into the playoffs end up losing money.
“The travel party (that the NCAA) pays for is 130 people, limited to 60 athletes and 70 others — coaches, trainers, staff, cheerleaders, students, anyone else you want to bring,” Hilton said. “There’s a per diem they provide for that 130. Anything over that, you’ve got to absorb the cost.”

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 01:24 PM

A&T beat the OVC champ Jacksonville State in 2018. It was brushed off as luck. A&T was dominated the entire game.

SCSU beat the SoCon champ this season. The talking point was , Wofford had a new offense

So it honestly doesn't matter what HBCU conferences do , they will always be thought as less than.

So we have this bowl, it generates money and recognition for our programs and schools. Is what it is

And the bowl has the support of those who are invested in it. No supporting member(s) should ever consider or seek the affirmation from "outsiders." xconfusedx What a ridiculous train of thought.... looking for the infamous "atta' boy" pat on the head. Screw them. See you during the regular season.

Until then, enjoy your 12K fans broadcast live on espn3.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 01:26 PM

we beat SDSU by 11 ... why weren't we the top 8 seed instead ?????? Because there were 11 other games considered across every team in FCS. Very simple to understand.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 01:33 PM
we beat SDSU by 11 ... why weren't we the top 8 seed instead ?????? Because there were 11 other games considered across every team in FCS. Very simple to understand.

Bwhahaha. you just can't help yourself. Poor thing

ASU33
December 18th, 2019, 01:36 PM

I'll be there

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 01:52 PM

I saw that JSU game. It wasnt luck. Both teams played badly.

Interesting. If youre not going to be competitive why do it at all? Dont think I could be in a program like that.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Interesting. If youre not going to be competitive why do it at all? Dont think I could be in a program like that.

Define competitive? Last 5 years , we are 49-8 . When we win on Sat , that will be 50 wins over a 5 year span.

We have beaten OOCF in the last 5 years ........

Elon 2x
Gardner Webb 2x
Jacksonville State
Charleston Southern
Kent State
East Carolina
Charlotte

dewey
December 18th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Bottom line to me is the MEAC and the SWAC teams have found something that works great for them.

Kudos to them.

I am excited to see NC A&T come to Fargo next fall.

Good luck to both teams in the Celebration Bowl.

Dewey

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Luckily the would doesn't turn based on what you think...

OhioHen
December 18th, 2019, 02:31 PM

xconfusedx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Bottom line to me is the MEAC and the SWAC teams have found something that works great for them.

Kudos to them.

Dewey

Same here. If you have something that works for you then go with it. I don't see why anyone else's opinion would matter in the least bit and it looks like it doesn't so good for those two conferences and what they have going.

I don't get the tearing down of the HBCU thing or the other side tearing down the FCS playoffs. I enjoy the playoffs, you enjoy the CB and that is good for all us in my estimation to have a choice in a couple of versions of the same basic idea.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Bwhahaha. you just can't help yourself. Poor thing

You're making less sense every post

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Define competitive? Last 5 years , we are 49-8 . When we win on Sat , that will be 50 wins over a 5 year span.

We have beaten OOCF in the last 5 years ........

Elon 2x
Gardner Webb 2x
Jacksonville State
Charleston Southern
Kent State
East Carolina
Charlotte

You said it didnt matter. So its you fans who dont care as opposed to the program????

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2019, 03:34 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow for a great weekend in Atlanta. You know how the AGGIES do!

The A&T ticket allotment sold out in less than 24 hours and all the Club Level seats on the MEAC side were gone by the time I was ready to purchase tickets. I had to get club seats on the SWAC side, but it's all HBCU love...I don't know how they do things in Mississippi, but those Alcorn Fans will have to hear me yelling "AGGIE Pride"

I bought my tickets the Sunday before the Allotment started selling. xrotatehx

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Same here. If you have something that works for you then go with it. I don't see why anyone else's opinion would matter in the least bit and it looks like it doesn't so good for those two conferences and what they have going.

I don't get the tearing down of the HBCU thing or the other side tearing down the FCS playoffs. I enjoy the playoffs, you enjoy the CB and that is good for all us in my estimation to have a choice in a couple of versions of the same basic idea.

Pretty much in agreement here. What is interesting is that there is at least 1 FCS Coach wants to modify the playoffs to have bowl-likes games in earlier rounds.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 18th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Pretty much in agreement here. What is interesting is that there is at least 1 FCS Coach wants to modify the playoffs to have bowl-likes games in earlier rounds.

Well, luckily that is not the overriding opinion as a guy from the playoff side of things. There are always lots of ideas and most of them are sort of missing the overall mark like the old putting 4 teams in one location thing that has been around for 10 or 2o yrs. but I got no problem with the ideas being out there and being vetted by whichever group will be affected.

The bowl thing means zero to me with the exception of The Rose Bowl. So if other bowls are to mean something to others I imagine it has much to do with the location, and the culture as was mentioned. No matter where the playoff games are though I have bought into it.

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 04:38 PM
You're making less sense every post

And the best part is , no matter what i say you respond lol

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 04:41 PM
You said it didnt matter. So its you fans who dont care as opposed to the program????

No it doesn't matter you the outside FCS world. We are just the good HBCU who plays in a terrible conference. That's the talking point here on AGS. We care who we play and beat. Thus why we schedule how we do. If we didn't care , we wouldn't schedule other teams but HBCU's and FBS teams

katss07
December 18th, 2019, 04:57 PM

When you win a National Title, yeah it does. Enjoy your Celebration Bowl, which especially means nothing this year considering FAMU is the best HBCU team and isn’t playing.

DFW HOYA
December 18th, 2019, 05:53 PM
This is not an either/or discussion. If Sam Houston or Montana State or UNI or nearly any other team other than North Dakota State were offered a $1 million payout and a nationally televised game on ABC within driving distance and before 35,000 fans, they'd take it. The idea that it is more noble for A&T to play the week after Thanksgiving before a crowd of 2,817 in Monmouth, NJ than to play in a bowl game is erroneous.

Unless and until the playoff is reformed so as not to be an NCAA revenue grab to the benefit of the top four seeds, HBCU schools aren't going to give it a second thought.

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 05:59 PM
And the bowl has the support of those who are invested in it. No supporting member(s) should ever consider or seek the affirmation from "outsiders." xconfusedx What a ridiculous train of thought.... looking for the infamous "atta' boy" pat on the head. Screw them. See you during the regular season.

Until then, enjoy your 12K fans broadcast live on espn3.

Then why do you keep talking about it???:D

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 06:02 PM
No it doesn't matter you the outside FCS world. We are just the good HBCU who plays in a terrible conference. That's the talking point here on AGS. We care who we play and beat. Thus why we schedule how we do. If we didn't care , we wouldn't schedule other teams but HBCU's and FBS teams

xthumbsupx

kdinva
December 18th, 2019, 06:03 PM
....“The travel party (that the NCAA) pays for is 130 people, limited to 60 athletes and 70 others — coaches, trainers, staff, cheerleaders, students, anyone else you want to bring,” Hilton said. “There’s a per diem they provide for that 130. Anything over that, you’ve got to absorb the cost.”

seems right to me. NCAA should not pay for the band, parents, etc.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 07:22 PM
When you win a National Title, yeah it does. Enjoy your Celebration Bowl, which especially means nothing this year considering FAMU is the best HBCU team and isn’t playing.

Well if that’s the case, then good luck to your team this weekend in its hunt for a national title. What’s it been, 2 or 3 weeks since the playoffs started...you’re almost their now.

The AGGIES will most certainly enjoy the Celebration Bowl this weekend along with tens of thousands in the stands...and a national audience on ABC.

Means nothing? Says you, but I’m thinking there will be north of 30K fans at the game and enough people watching to make the Celebration Bowl the most watched event in all of FCS football this year. I’ll let those numbers speak to what it means.

FAMU the best HBCU not playing...that’s your opinion...Snakes took themselves out of contention with self imposed NCAA penalties, it’s not our fault they can’t participate in post season play.

We are the the MEAC Champs and get all the spoils that go with it.

If the AGGIES handle our business this weekend the polls and rankings that determine the top spots will take care of themselves.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Dec 21st should be a 3 hour A&T commercial

I always change the channel when the commercials come on

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 08:10 PM
I always change the channel when the commercials come on

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Prime Power
December 18th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Well if that’s the case, then good luck to your team this weekend in its hunt for a national title. What’s it been, 2 or 3 weeks since the playoffs started...you’re almost their now.

The AGGIES will most certainly enjoy the Celebration Bowl this weekend along with tens of thousands in the stands...and a national audience on ABC.

Means nothing? Says you, but I’m thinking there will be north of 30K fans at the game and enough people watching to make the Celebration Bowl the most watched event in all of FCS football this year. I’ll let those numbers speak to what it means.

FAMU the best HBCU not playing...that’s your opinion...Snakes took themselves out of contention with self imposed NCAA penalties, it’s not our fault they can’t participate in post season play.

We are the the MEAC Champs and get all the spoils that go with it.

If the AGGIES handle our business this weekend the polls and rankings that determine the top spots will take care of themselves.

I am not sure if all you A&T fans know this, but the FCS Championship is on ABC. Why all the hostility?

I will be watching the Celebration Bowl as I love watching all FCS teams play.

A&T AGGIE96
December 18th, 2019, 08:29 PM
I am not sure if all you A&T fans know this, but the FCS Championship is on ABC. Why all the hostility?

I will be watching the Celebration Bowl as I love watching all FCS teams play.

Yes, we know the FCS Championship is on ABC...welcome, glad you guys got the memo on that. Those of us in the MEAC and SWAC were wondering what was taking you so long.

I’m not hostile, I can’t speak for other posters. I can tell you there is a lot of hostility toward us on this board so I guess folks just returning what they feel they are getting.

I’m sure in time we will all get along seeing we are all in the same boat. Stuck and trying to survive in a no mans land in the shadow of the FBS.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Yes, we know the FCS Championship is on ABC...welcome, glad you guys got the memo on that. Those of us in the MEAC and SWAC were wondering what was taking you so long.

I’m not hostile, I can’t speak for other posters. I can tell you there is a lot of hostility toward us on this board so I guess folks just returning what they feel they are getting.

I’m sure in time we will all get along seeing we are all in the same boat. Stuck and trying to survive in a no mans land in the shadow of the FBS.
My "hostility" is not towards HBCU. It is towards any fan from a team or conference that lays claim to being at levels they clearly are not. As Ive said before, in fact, I take more issue with the Ivys than the MEAC teams for these identical claims .. because I not only disagree with them on this issue usually, but their hypocrisy around why they don't participate in playoffs. I only take issue with the other 1 bid conferences when the rare occassion arises where they think they deserve a 2nd team or a top 8 seed because they went 9-2 against an incredibly weak SOS... I take specific issue if I think they are off base.

Hell I've gone after Colonial hard that they get way too much unconditional love from the committee. I've been very vocal on Colonial, way moreso than MEAC and Colonial has a good conference .. they just get too many bids some years (2018 for starters).

But it has nothing to do with HBCU and everything to do with making rediculous claims or too many undeserved bids. Simple as that.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2019, 09:33 PM
And the best part is , no matter what i say you respond lol
so youre one of those guys who keeps responding but then thinks hes clever when he calls out the other guy for continuing to respond ... yeah ok .. whatever you have to tell yourself.

DEX
December 18th, 2019, 09:49 PM

Kudos to them.

Dewey

I will probably be there with a lot of other Aggies. As soon as the CB is over this game will be our hot topic.

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 10:59 PM
Then why do you keep talking about it???:D

Because I absolutely love throwing 98 octane gas on already smoldering embers of jealousy. Look at the bearkat responding w/ venom lol. He’s about to blow a gasket lmao! :D

McNeese75
December 18th, 2019, 11:24 PM
Because I absolutely love throwing 98 octane gas on already smoldering embers of jealousy. Look at the bearkat responding w/ venom lol. He’s about to blow a gasket lmao! :D

Jealousy? Of what?

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 11:39 PM

I dont think peoples reaction is what you think its is. I know this may temper your self gratification.:D

Panther88
December 19th, 2019, 03:09 AM
Jealousy? Of what?

Precisely!!! Jealousy of what?

Panther88
December 19th, 2019, 03:16 AM
I dont think peoples reaction is what you think its is. I know this may temper your self gratification.:D

Nah, sell that to them——->, over there ——->. Look at just your pet bearkat’s responses as he unmercifully posts unrestrained and unchained venom. :D

Predictable and expected behavior(s), btw. :D xlolx

WeAreThePride
December 19th, 2019, 04:19 AM
This thread is hilarious.

Bison56
December 19th, 2019, 07:03 AM
This thread is hilarious.
Always is, I look forward to this thread every year.

Panther88
December 19th, 2019, 08:05 AM

xlolx xlolx Put your olive branch down and set fire to that bad boy!

There's nothing peaceful or "friendly" w/ anything remotely close to being "friends" to be found here. You are in adversarial combative give-them-what-they-give-you land. I know you already know this but... guard your grill. xlolx :D

If you want pure opponent-sportsmanship kinship, the MEAC and SWAC are that a'way==================> :D

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Totally fine with them doing their own thing, but I'm sorry they should not get a potential at large for the FCS playoffs, if they send the best SWAC/MEAC team to a "bowl" game then so be it. Make that the season goal though, take away the at large eligibility.

Professor
December 19th, 2019, 09:11 AM
This is not an either/or discussion. If Sam Houston or Montana State or UNI or nearly any other team other than North Dakota State were offered a $1 million payout and a nationally televised game on ABC within driving distance and before 35,000 fans, they'd take it. The idea that it is more noble for A&T to play the week after Thanksgiving before a crowd of 2,817 in Monmouth, NJ than to play in a bowl game is erroneous.

Unless and until the playoff is reformed so as not to be an NCAA revenue grab to the benefit of the top four seeds, HBCU schools aren't going to give it a second thought.

High five

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Totally fine with them doing their own thing, but I'm sorry they should not get a potential at large for the FCS playoffs, if they send the best SWAC/MEAC team to a "bowl" game then so be it. Make that the season goal though, take away the at large eligibility.

Umm... Nah.

Baron Sardonicus
December 19th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Kitty's back with more teams she doesn't want in the playoffs.

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Umm... Nah.

Come to think of it, even if they don't take it away, they probably wont hand out at larges often anyways.....supposed to be sending the best teams from the conference to the playoffs, kind of an insult not to, which is why I don't really see why they allowed an at large.

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Kitty's back with more teams she doesn't want in the playoffs.

Who are you again? Oh right, Irrelevant.

See you next year when another team from your D3 conference gets invited to lose in the first round. Be grateful for that first round loss

Baron Sardonicus
December 19th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Since the playoffs were opened up in 2014, San Diego only has two postseason wins. But they won't let us play anyone from New England.

cx500d
December 19th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Since the playoffs were opened up in 2014, San Diego only has two postseason wins. But they won't let us play anyone from New England.
San Diego actually won their conference....

A&T AGGIE96
December 19th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Umm... Nah.

^^^This^^^

What he said!! If a team can’t make it to the Celebration Bowl and wants to take a bid to the FCS playoffs as a consolation prize so he it.

It’s their money to lose !

Redbird 4th & short
December 19th, 2019, 03:19 PM
I don't have an issue with HBCU conferences still being eligible for an at large bid ... but like any at large bid, it has to be earned. I assume any team can decline a bid and I have no issue with the Celebration Bowl being their Bowl game and declining due to the conflict.

None of that changes current reality .. MEAC is not close to being a 3 bid league. Outside of MVFC, Big Sky and Colonial, most other conferences are not usually a 3 bid league with recent exception for Southland. SoCon, OVC are usually 2 bid leagues and the remainder are almost always 1 bid leagues.

So there is no reason to take offense or think we're singling the MEAC out.

katss07
December 19th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Is it always this easy to get HBCU fans going?

I posted what 3 days ago and it’s still being discussed. xlolx

R.A.
December 19th, 2019, 05:19 PM
I want A&T to win, but i think it's Alcorn's year, and I wouldn't be upset if they won...
... their fans have had two weeks to organize and travel. lets see if the Braves come with a huge crowd.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Is it always this easy to get HBCU fans going?

I posted what 3 days ago and it’s still being discussed. xlolx

Yeah. It's like stirring up those pesky NDSU Bison on this board. Just wait until the A&T vs. NDSU thread is made. That may crash the website, especially if the game is close.

cx500d
December 20th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Yeah. It's like stirring up those pesky NDSU Bison on this board. Just wait until the A&T vs. NDSU thread is made. That may crash the website, especially if the game is close.

Fights on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 20th, 2019, 09:04 AM
More FCS Conferences should weigh their options instead of the current system...None of us should be forced into a "Pay for play" post season.

What other FCS conferences are receiving a cushy bowl game? Maybe the Ivy/Patriot.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2019, 09:27 AM
What other FCS conferences are receiving a cushy bowl game? Maybe the Ivy/Patriot.

To be honest, outside of the Celebration Bowl and the FCS National Title game, advertisers and networks aren't exactly clamoring to air our games on cable or network TV.

Herder
December 21st, 2019, 04:55 AM

You mean, A&T’s not going to win? Youre already putting it in the L column? The Celebration Bowl Champions and *National Champions are hoping for a close Loss?

Redbird 4th & short
December 21st, 2019, 08:39 AM
You mean, A&T’s not going to win? Youre already putting it in the L column? The Celebration Bowl Champions and *National Champions are hoping for a close Loss?
But R.A. said (i.e. "told us so") he is not impressed with 14-0 Bison, but is somehow impressed with 8-3 NC A&T .. he even said that the 2019 NC A&T is already better than 2019 NDSU ??? So does this mean NC A&T is going to fall off next year ???

So many mixed signals .... xconfusedx

DFW HOYA
December 21st, 2019, 08:53 AM

No one is that interested in an Ivy/Patriot bowl game. A Yale-Holy Cross game in Florida will bring a van from the Del Boca Vista Phase 3 development but the overall interest is not worth the travel or the civic investment.

cx500d
December 21st, 2019, 09:05 AM
No one is that interested in an Ivy/Patriot bowl game. A Yale-Holy Cross game in Florida will bring a van from the Del Boca Vista Phase 3 development but the overall interest is not worth the travel or the civic investment.
How about if we hold it on a neutral site....that should pack the stands

R.A.
December 21st, 2019, 10:44 AM
But R.A. said (i.e. "told us so") he is not impressed with 14-0 Bison, but is somehow impressed with 8-3 NC A&T .. he even said that the 2019 NC A&T is already better than 2019 NDSU ??? So does this mean NC A&T is going to fall off next year ???

So many mixed signals .... xconfusedx

JMU, Weber State, or Montana State may beat NSDU this Playoff season.

A&T will beat them next season IF NDSU hasn't progressed from this season's 2019 team. And I'm not afraid to say that, others might be, I'm not.

I think the reality of the present, is distorted by perceptions based on the reality of past years.

The MEAC is better than in the Past, so is the SWAC. Our Top Teams are as strong as the top teams in other FCS conferences.

I encourage other FCS Conferences to play the top teams of the MEAC and SWAC; and not to keep using the past or blowout victories over historically weak MEAC Schools, to justify the MEAC being weak overall. Play our best now and in the future, then lets see what's what.

No_Skill
December 21st, 2019, 10:54 AM
And boom goes the dynamite.

Redbird 4th & short
December 21st, 2019, 11:07 AM
And boom goes the dynamite.
oh hell yeah ! Why ?? Because he "told us so".

p.s. never mind that they lost to 2-9 Morgan St, who's only other win was 2-10 Del St ... pay no attention to that game, 8-3 NC A&T is clearly better than 14-0 Bison.

BEAR
December 21st, 2019, 11:28 AM
Watching the game. Lots of pass interference not called. Ugh.With the ref right in front of the play.

That Alcorn WR should at least thrown the flag motion with his arms.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 21st, 2019, 01:43 PM
No defense

BEAR
December 21st, 2019, 02:08 PM
How many points and yards in this second half?!!?

Panther88
December 21st, 2019, 02:34 PM
Congrats to NCAT on The Celebration Bowl victory 2019.

katss07
December 21st, 2019, 03:01 PM
JMU, Weber State, or Montana State may beat NSDU this Playoff season.

A&T will beat them next season IF NDSU hasn't progressed from this season's 2019 team. And I'm not afraid to say that, others might be, I'm not.

I think the reality of the present, is distorted by perceptions based on the reality of past years.

The MEAC is better than in the Past, so is the SWAC. Our Top Teams are as strong as the top teams in other FCS conferences.

I encourage other FCS Conferences to play the top teams of the MEAC and SWAC; and not to keep using the past or blowout victories over historically weak MEAC Schools, to justify the MEAC being weak overall. Play our best now and in the future, then lets see what's what.
What was being smoked when you sent this out earlier? Any of the final four would take it to NC A&T. Especially with that...defense?

R.A.
December 21st, 2019, 03:36 PM
What was being smoked when you sent this out earlier? Any of the final four would take it to NC A&T. Especially with that...defense?

We'll see. 2020.

R.A.
December 21st, 2019, 03:50 PM
Game Attendance: 32,968

The Kicker
December 21st, 2019, 05:24 PM
MEAC was 12-20 vs out of conference this year and 6-11 vs FCS teams
SWAC was 15-24 vs out of conference this year and 4-12 vs FCS teams

I would say it's clear they are weak.

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2019, 05:26 PM
very entertaining game from the bit I saw, lot's of Hotties too

R.A.
December 21st, 2019, 05:51 PM

How'd the Top Four MEAC Teams do in conference and out of conference? FAMU, NC A&T, SC State, and Bethune???

You're using the entire conference to determine the quality of our best teams.

You wouldn't say The Patriots are weak because they play in the AFC East, would you??
--------------------------

WestCoastAggie
December 21st, 2019, 07:10 PM
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1208489806084243456

cx500d
December 21st, 2019, 07:38 PM

Congrats I guess...

knit35
December 21st, 2019, 07:42 PM
Congrats I guess...

'

i hope they go

Redbird 4th & short
December 21st, 2019, 08:59 PM
How'd the Top Four MEAC Teams do in conference and out of conference? FAMU, NC A&T, SC State, and Bethune???

You're using the entire conference to determine the quality of our best teams.

You wouldn't say The Patriots are weak because they play in the AFC East, would you??
--------------------------

add up the # quality wins in their OOC games across those 4 teams .... just 1 .. SC St over Wofford in week 1. Your entire argument is SC St beat Wofford in week 1 .. same Wofford who lost in week 2 to 5-7 Samford .. and in bad year for SoCon.

Winterborn
December 21st, 2019, 11:02 PM

Congrats I guess...

Well when you have been a "National Champion" that many years in a row why not. xcoffeex

SUPharmacist
December 21st, 2019, 11:11 PM

Is this something the fanbase wants. I know it is generally looked at as more exposure, but are you gaining that much? The Celebration Bowl is great publicity and if you are FBS your publicity from FBS upsets now just become normal games. Upsets over the FBS blue bloods would still be huge, but are you that much more likely to get those wins than you are as an FCS team. It just seems like what you gain in exposure is offset by the added cost and loss of traditional rivals.

Regardless, I hope the program ends up where the fans and players want to be.

WestCoastAggie
December 22nd, 2019, 07:44 AM
We aren't going anywhere anytime soon. This the best of both worlds for us.

WeAreThePride
December 22nd, 2019, 08:51 AM
NCAT might be competitive in FBS and might not. Since they refuse to test themselves against the best in FCS in the postseason, we cannot know.

but muh ABC

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 08:58 AM
NCAT might be competitive in FBS and might not. Since they refuse to test themselves against the best in FCS in the postseason, we cannot know.

but muh ABC
They are testing themselves next year.

TSUalum05
December 22nd, 2019, 10:39 AM
Good article on the Celebration bowl from the Washington Post: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/celebration-bowl-2019-aandt-vs-alcorn/2019/12/21/134514f2-23fa-11ea-bed5-880264cc91a9_story.html%3foutputType=amp

DeltaDevil662
December 22nd, 2019, 11:04 AM
Ah yes.

The good ol "no one cares about your subpar football but stay on HBCU threads in HBCU business" arguments never get old

As someone said, when A&T and others have beaten your best (A&T physically whipped up on #6 ranked JSU), it's the "oh they weren't that good anyway" excuses. Yall have made it perfectly clear you think that the SWAC and MEAC shouldn't be FCS if they don't participate in the "playoffs" so why would people worry themselves about "inferior" football all the time. Trust me you would be hard pressed to find more than 1-2 threads about non-HBCU football on the SWAC side in the past year. Worry about making excuses as to why at one of your precious semifinal games that the stadium was less than at 50% capacity while our "inferior" product that no one cares about drew over 32K on national TV.

I'm gonna see what's the excuse is gonna be this year if JMU/NDSU doesn't sell out in Texas or pull in a higher rating on TV than the Celebration Bowl since the game will be on OTA TV since the FCS playoffs means so much to the entire nation

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 11:09 AM
Ah yes.

The good ol "no one cares about your subpar football but stay on HBCU threads in HBCU business" arguments never get old

As someone said, when A&T and others have beaten your best (A&T physically whipped up on #6 ranked JSU), it's the "oh they weren't that good anyway" excuses. Yall have made it perfectly clear you think that the SWAC and MEAC shouldn't be FCS if they don't participate in the "playoffs" so why would people worry themselves about "inferior" football all the time. Trust me you would be hard pressed to find more than 1-2 threads about non-HBCU football on the SWAC side in the past year. Worry about making excuses as to why at one of your precious semifinal games that the stadium was less than at 50% capacity while our "inferior" product that no one cares about drew over 32K on national TV.

I'm gonna see what's the excuse is gonna be this year if JMU/NDSU doesn't sell out in Texas or pull in a higher rating on TV than the Celebration Bowl since the game will be on OTA TV since the FCS playoffs means so much to the entire nation
because youhave fans who come onto AGS and make rediculous claims abut how much better they are than non-HBCU teams competing in FCS playoffs ... right ??????

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:20 AM
because youhave fans who come onto AGS and make rediculous claims abut how much better they are than non-HBCU teams competing in FCS playoffs ... right ??????

Lies ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Where's the "impeachment" button for the sports board?! xsmhx

Also, let me slightly enhance Devil662's comment... the ONLY 1-2 non-HBCU threads we create on our site(s) annually, we speak of what is actually important to us, FBS related ONLY! Not you other folk in "fcs land."

Too many fcs schools offer no relevance of notoriety and certainly have no history, even w/ your own fanbase (look at your paultry overwhelming attendance #s) imho. xlolx :D I want to remove any and ALL doubt and be VERY concise and CLEAR as to who/what is actually important to HBCUs collectively and who we have our sights on. Former iaa/current fcs, the newly created division, came out of nowhere w/in the last 30-40 years and caught us slipping. We're actually just now catching up to where we should have been all along. The truth, it always hurts, I know. :D

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
Ah yes.

These folk are like a legacy broken record. All scratch, insipid repetitiveness, and saying absolutely NOTHING of value other than www-wannabe-narcissistic-rhetoric. Duh. xsmhx

Forgot, congrats on the signings. Super nice list during the rebuild.

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Lies ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Where's the "impeachment" button for the sports board?! xsmhx

Also, let me slightly enhance Devil662's comment... the ONLY 1-2 non-HBCU threads we create on our site(s) annually, we speak of what is actually important to us, FBS related ONLY! Not you other folk in "fcs land."

Too many fcs schools offer no relevance of notoriety and certainly have no history, even w/ your own fanbase (look at your paultry overwhelming attendance #s) imho. xlolx :D I want to remove any and ALL doubt and be VERY concise and CLEAR as to who/what is actually important to HBCUs collectively and who we have our sights on. Former iaa/current fcs, the newly created division, came out of nowhere w/in the last 30-40 years and caught us slipping. We're actually just now catching up to where we should have been all along. The truth, it always hurts, I know. :D
The only history PV A&M has that anybody knows about happened in the decade of the 90s....you certainly have a lot to be proud of.

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 11:40 AM
These folk are like a legacy broken record. All scratch, insipid repetitiveness, and saying absolutely NOTHING of value other than www-wannabe-narcissistic-rhetoric. Duh. xsmhx

Forgot, congrats on the signings. Super nice list during the rebuild.

and MEAC's 0-9 playoff record since 2009 with only 2 barely competitive games (i.e. lost by 10 twice, rest were blowouts) ... we just going to ignore those indisputable facts and have listen to MEAC fans spew how much better they are than FCS playoff teams every year because they usually get just 1 quality win across entire conference.

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:49 AM
The only history PV A&M has that anybody knows about happened in the decade of the 90s....you certainly have a lot to be proud of.

Well, that's true as well. That's your perspective and I R-E-F-U-S-E to broaden your knowledge and educate you or anyone else, on this site. I said what I said and I spoke NOTHING but the truth that cuts your short-sighted soul because as you are aware, your school just started playing football some 30-40 years ago and has numerous upon numerous representatives w/ the big dogs of FBS in Canton. Good job and maintain that defensive posture. It's a great look. lmao!

xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

and MEAC's 0-9 playoff record since 2009 with only 2 barely competitive games (i.e. lost by 10 twice, rest were blowouts) ... we just going to ignore those indisputable facts and have listen to MEAC fans spew how much better they are than FCS playoff teams every year because they usually get just 1 quality win across entire conference.

Right. 0-9. And have never won a playoff game ever. You're absolutely correct. We have no leg to stand on.

xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 11:50 AM

Latest round of insanity started here ... note the title and authour of this thread: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?238954-How-is-5-3-Wofford-ranked-ahead-of-5-3-SC-State-when-SCSU-already-defeated-Wofford

Fact was at the time, SC State was not even 5-3, they were 4-3 removing their D-II win. Here we had a 4-3 MEAC team claiming it deserved to be ranked having played like the 100th ranked SOS.

Let's get real.

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:50 AM
Good article on the Celebration bowl from the Washington Post: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/celebration-bowl-2019-aandt-vs-alcorn/2019/12/21/134514f2-23fa-11ea-bed5-880264cc91a9_story.html%3foutputType=amp

This:

It pits the MEAC winner against the SWAC winner instead of having both venture separately into the FCS playoffs (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/20/john-daka-set-jmu-football-record-after-nearly-quitting-sport/?tid=lk_inline_manual_11)(which generated less splash and value).

Why would the author say that?

xlolx

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:51 AM
Latest round of insanity started here ... note the title and authour of this thread: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?238954-How-is-5-3-Wofford-ranked-ahead-of-5-3-SC-State-when-SCSU-already-defeated-Wofford

Fact was at the time, SC State was not even 5-3, they were 4-3 removing their D-II win. Here we had a 4-3 MEAC team claiming it deserved to be ranked having played like the 100th ranked SOS.

Let's get real.

Who is disagreeing w/ you? One individual poster? The air underneath your fingertips before you press a keyboard button? lol

C'mon man. xsmhx <<<<FOCUS>>>>

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 11:53 AM
NC A&T and Alcorn have something to be proud about. The rest of you are just strap hangers and should be embarrassed about your collective efforts.

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 11:54 AM
Well, that's true as well. That's your perspective and I R-E-F-U-S-E to broaden your knowledge and educate you or anyone else, on this site. I said what I said and I spoke NOTHING but the truth that cuts your short-sighted soul because as you are aware, your school just started playing football some 30-40 years ago and has numerous upon numerous representatives w/ the big dogs of FBS in Canton. Good job and maintain that defensive posture. It's a great look. lmao!

xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Right. 0-9. And have never won a playoff game ever. You're absolutely correct. We have no leg to stand on.

xlolx
that is a non-response .. so I'll take it as a concession .. or complete denial of reality.

The entire argument this year is SC State beat Wofford in week 1 .. and suddenly the 3rd best MEAC team deserves a bid. Their 1st and 2nd best teams have not won a playoff game in over a decade .. so let's give their 3rd best team a shot ???

No.

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 11:55 AM
that is a non-response .. so I'll take it as a concession .. or complete denial of reality.

The entire argument this year is SC State beat Wofford in week 1 .. and suddenly the 3rd best MEAC team deserves a bid. Their 1st and 2nd best teams have not won a playoff game in over a decade .. so let's give their 3rd best team a shot ???

No.

Dood, I could care less about SCSt's representation or non-representation in the "fcs playoffs." I'm here to comment towards those who support our Celebration Bowl singly.

That thread is over there------------>, if you desire to speak of "playoffs." I purchased 4 tix to The Celebration Bowl. How many did you purchase? *crickets*

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 11:57 AM
Dood, I could care less about SCSt's representation or non-representation in the "fcs playoffs." I'm here to comment towards those who support our Celebration Bowl singly.

That thread is over there------------>, if you desire to speak of "playoffs." I purchased 4 tix to The Celebration Bowl. How many did you purchase? *crickets*
I didn’t purchase any celebration bowl tickets. i had tickets to an NCAA sanctioned playoff game instead.

R.A.
December 22nd, 2019, 11:59 AM

You mean like how SC State is better than Wofford, because SC State Already beat Wofford?

What a ridiculous claim....

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 12:00 PM

Fair point ... but the thread drift is not mine alone .. there are references by others to this other thread connecting these arguments.

Please note and I have made this clear in other posts ... I have no issue with Celebration Bowl .. it has turned into a great event and HBCUs should feel great about this new tradition. I also have no issue with HBCUs still being eligible for FCS playoffs in addition to this Bowl game, if they've earned it. My only issue is posters making rediculous claims about how they are better than FCS playoff teams on the basis of one quality win.

So apologies for thread drift, but I was only responding to others. Please feel free to call them out too ???

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 12:01 PM
You mean like how SC State is better than Wofford, because SC State Already beat Wofford?

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to be repeating yourself

you seem to be repeating yourself

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 12:02 PM
I didn’t purchase any celebration bowl tickets. i had tickets to an NCAA sanctioned playoff game instead.

Good for you! *slow...handclaps* I hope you and others do the same for the game in cisco, tejas. And I hope the weather holds in January for that game in the outside venue or it'll be a horrible look on the OTA channel. :D

I cannot wait to see THE Ohio State University crush clemson, watch OU take it to lsu, and then the eventual championship game where THE Ohio State wins it all over OU.

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 12:04 PM
Good for you! *slow...handclaps* I hope you and others do the same for the game in cisco, tejas. And I hope the weather holds in January for that game in the outside venue or it'll be a horrible look on the OTA channel. :D

I cannot wait to see THE Ohio State University crush clemson, watch OU take it to lsu, and then the eventual championship game where THE Ohio State wins it all over OU.
Cmon p88, you know you want to come to Frisco...it’s a local game for you...I’ll buy you a beer

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 12:04 PM
Fair point ... but the thread drift is not mine alone .. there are references by others to this other thread connecting these arguments.

Please note and I have made this clear in other posts ... I have no issue with Celebration Bowl .. it has turned into a great event and HBCUs should feel great about this new tradition. I also have no issue with HBCUs still being eligible for FCS playoffs in addition to this Bowl game, if they've earned it. My only issue is posters making rediculous claims about how they are better than FCS playoff teams on the basis of one quality win.

So apologies for thread drift, but I was only responding to others. Please feel free to call them out too ???

Your axe to grind w/ R.A. He's my bison brother so I defer to him as well.

I'm for HBCUs playing fcs playoff teams during the regular season, and beating them. :D Sick of this throwing horseshoes stupidity I've witnessed the last few years.

R.A.
December 22nd, 2019, 12:20 PM

See how this argument just keep changing...

First it was, HBCU teams aren't better than the playoff teams.

I say, but an HBCU beat a playoff team.

Now secondly the argument is, HBCUs aren't better than playoff teams based upon the ONE QUALITY VICTORY the HBCU has over the Playoff team...

So now I say, there were several Playoff teams admitted with ZERO quality wins (Including 1 and 2 NAIA victories which is below Division II). I think one quality win beats no quality wins...

Schism55
December 22nd, 2019, 12:58 PM
Just saw the box score of this game, holy shnikes xdrunkyx
Congrats A&T on the big win!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2019, 01:03 PM
Just saw the box score of this game, holy shnikes xdrunkyx
Congrats A&T on the big win!

Defensive slugfest!

katss07
December 22nd, 2019, 01:17 PM

Now secondly the argument is, HBCUs aren't better than playoff teams based upon the ONE QUALITY VICTORY the HBCU has over the Playoff team...

So now I say, there were several Playoff teams admitted with ZERO quality wins (Including 1 and 2 NAIA victories which is below Division II). I think one quality win beats no quality wins...

I don’t think anyone is arguing that HBCUs can’t be as competitive as playoff teams. Hell SC State nearly made it, although they didn’t deserve to get it. They were very good this year. And they probably would have a few recent playoffs wins under their belt had the committee sent them anywhere but App State in the late 2000s.

We know the MEAC can be competitive (I’m going to stop saying HBCUs because the SWAC is a joke)

But saying the MEAC is “taking over” is silly because in reality there are no Top 10, maybe even Top 20 MEAC teams. And the argument that the Celebration Bowl means more than an FCS title is ignorant

TheKingpin28
December 22nd, 2019, 01:18 PM
This thread is making Chattown threads look weak sauce in comparison.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Panther88
December 22nd, 2019, 04:26 PM
https://www.profootballhof.com/assets/1/6/HoF-GJC-Assets-10172019TWLI600.jpg
"What are these recent-ran fcs playoff schools crying about now??????" xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Sincerely,

University of Alabama

lol

Puddin Tane
December 22nd, 2019, 04:53 PM
They've found something that works. It gets them more exposure than FCS playoff participation ever did, or ever would. I would bet that more people know about A&T than know anything about JMU.

naw, Ive never heard of most these black colleges, cept a couple of the swac that have played in Beaumont. I learned a lot more of the eastern schools cuz of the playoffs.

Puddin Tane
December 22nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
We did have a pretty good fight when prairie view came to town. Between their own fans. Rather entertaining.

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 05:00 PM
We did have a pretty good fight when prairie view came to town. Between their own fans. Rather entertaining.

I’ll bet their band was good though.

katss07
December 22nd, 2019, 05:27 PM
I’ll bet their band was good though.

Ive seen both bands in the past year.

Lamar’s was better.

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 06:57 PM
Ive seen both bands in the past year.

Lamar’s was better.

Ooh, thems fightin words

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 12:02 AM
naw, Ive never heard of most these black colleges, cept a couple of the swac that have played in Beaumont. I learned a lot more of the eastern schools cuz of the playoffs.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Speaking of no history AND no notoriety. xlolx It’s HBCU, you stup... chemical plant working, vidor dwelling dweeb. xsmhx

And add the stench of seriously ugly orange and look what we have: 2 addt’l playoff no shows, all talk no ass, who won’t touch hwy 121 in Jan. Duh. xlolx

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 07:23 AM
As predicted. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Day 1 bowl #s:
Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl
Buffalo vs Charlotte
Attendance: 0 (N/A)

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl
Utah State vs Kent State
Attendance: 12120

Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl
Boise State vs Washington
Attendance: 34197

R+L Carrier New Orleans Bowl
Appalachian State vs UAB
Attendance: 21202

New Mexico Bowl
Central Michigan vs San Diego State
Attendance: 18823

Cheribundi Boca Rotan Bowl
SMU vs Florida Atlantic
Attendance: 23187

Camellia Bowl
Florida International vs Arkansas State
Attendance: 16209

FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl
Liberty vs Georgia Southern
Attendance: 18158

Celebration Bowl
North Carolina A&T vs Alcorn State
Attendance: 32968

Nor Eastern
December 23rd, 2019, 07:25 AM
Bahamas Bowl had 13,547

https://www.bahamasbowl.com/2019-makers-wanted-bahamas-bowl-postgame-notes/

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 08:07 AM
Bahamas Bowl had 13,547

https://www.bahamasbowl.com/2019-makers-wanted-bahamas-bowl-postgame-notes/

Appreciate the 411.

It will be hard to overcome the #s of the Vegas bowl. Couple that w/ anticipated venue change for the new stadium... The right matchup in the ATL could easily push the #s over 40K+.

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 08:53 AM

2 points

1. A&T was 2-0 against FCS teams.

2. If the MEAC is so weak , why did William & Mary hire a coach from a MEAC school?

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 08:55 AM
Ah yes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

katss07
December 23rd, 2019, 09:08 AM
2 points

2. If the MEAC is so weak , why did William & Mary hire a coach from a MEAC school?
They finished 10th in the CAA.

katss07
December 23rd, 2019, 09:10 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Could you have said it in a different color?

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 09:12 AM
They finished 10th in the CAA.

London didn't win in the MEAC so i don't know what they are thinking

A&T AGGIE96
December 23rd, 2019, 10:26 AM
As predicted. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Day 1 bowl #s:
Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl
Buffalo vs Charlotte
Attendance: 0 (N/A)

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl
Utah State vs Kent State
Attendance: 12120

Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl
Boise State vs Washington
Attendance: 34197

R+L Carrier New Orleans Bowl
Appalachian State vs UAB
Attendance: 21202

New Mexico Bowl
Central Michigan vs San Diego State
Attendance: 18823

Cheribundi Boca Rotan Bowl
SMU vs Florida Atlantic
Attendance: 23187

Camellia Bowl
Florida International vs Arkansas State
Attendance: 16209

FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl
Liberty vs Georgia Southern
Attendance: 18158

Celebration Bowl
North Carolina A&T vs Alcorn State
Attendance: 32968

Now that's what I'm talking about...I was at the game and it was awesome. My hotel was full of NC A&T and Alcorn fans. Sunday morning the staff dressed in our colors (Blue and Gold) to celebrate the win with us.

I also loved that it's becoming a true cross conference event. I saw fans from every MEAC school represented and every SWAC school except TSU and PV A&M...but I was sitting on the MEAC side
xnodx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykELTJX-DkE#action=share

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 10:32 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about...I was at the game and it was awesome. My hotel was full of NC A&T and Alcorn fans. Sunday morning the staff dressed in our colors (Blue and Gold) to celebrate the win with us.

I also loved that it's becoming a true cross conference event. I saw fans from every MEAC school represented and every SWAC school except TSU and PV A&M...but I was sitting on the MEAC side
xnodx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykELTJX-DkE#action=share

You weren't looking in the right places w/ all the purple&gold from Alcorn intermingled w/ PVAMU representation. The commish of The SWAC is PV's former AD and also a PVAMU grad, btw. lol

Pics from The Celebration Bowl are found here-----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/gboom/49256713417/in/album-72157712309828232/ (snapped by yet another PVAMU alum lol)

A&T AGGIE96
December 23rd, 2019, 10:37 AM
I had a ball this weekend !!! Ready for the game next year no matter who makes it !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_cKzESn6T0

Redbird 4th & short
December 23rd, 2019, 10:43 AM

You're confused .. I have always argued 1 quality win does not make a playoff resume.

And you also said your top 3 were just as good as the good as the top 8 seeds including NC AT being better than NDSU. And you alleged other quality OOC wins across your top 4 teams ... yet there is just the one quality OOC win .... right ???

Name any other quality wins across your top 4 MEAC teams ... I'll wait for you to not answer this specific question.

P.s. hint ... the answer is there are no other wins over playoff teams

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 10:54 AM
I had a ball this weekend !!! Ready for the game next year no matter who makes it !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_cKzESn6T0

I have already signed up for the 2020 ticket announcement and i'm thinking of going to the challenge Labor Day weekend

A&T AGGIE96
December 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
They sure advertised the Labor Day weekend Challenge enough during the Celebration Bowl. It looks like a good match up, but I got to go with South Carolina State in that game. The Bulldogs will be contenders for the MEAC title for sure.

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 11:04 AM
Been a great 5 years for A&T 2015-2019

59-10 Record
4 MEAC Titles
4 HBCU National Titles
3 FBS Wins

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 11:36 AM
Been a great 5 years for A&T 2015-2019

59-10 Record
4 MEAC Titles
4 HBCU National Titles
3 FBS Wins

Remarkable.

Redbird 4th & short
December 23rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
2 points

1. Yep, you beat 5-6 Charleston Southern by 6 .. Furman beat them by 33, Citadel beat them 9, Kennesaw beat them by 22, and Monmouth beat them by 22

2. Not sure what that tells us .. but yes, coaches change jobs all the time to move up when possible.

- - - Updated - - -

2 points

1. Yep, you beat 5-6 Charleston Southern by 6 .. Furman beat them by 33, Citadel beat them 9, Kennesaw beat them by 22, and Monmouth beat them by 22

2. Not sure what that tells us .. but yes, coaches change jobs all the time to move up when possible.

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 01:41 PM

Guess it's our fault Charleston Southern had a bad season too huh

OK and Furman lost to Wofford who lost to SCSU who we beat. So yeah.

The Citadel also lost to a team A&T beat .... So yeah

It's ok to say A&T is a good team and had a good season.

And PS , William & Mary isn't a move up.

katss07
December 23rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
Guess it's our fault Charleston Southern had a bad season too huh

OK and Furman lost to Wofford who lost to SCSU who we beat. So yeah.

The Citadel also lost to a team A&T beat .... So yeah

It's ok to say A&T is a good team and had a good season.

And PS , William & Mary isn't a move up.
Mike left the MEAC at first opportunity. Pretty sure he, and most non-delusional FCS fans, would tell you William and Mary is a step up from Howard.

A&T AGGIE96
December 23rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
You weren't looking in the right places w/ all the purple&gold from Alcorn intermingled w/ PVAMU representation. The commish of The SWAC is PV's former AD and also a PVAMU grad, btw. lol

Pics from The Celebration Bowl are found here-----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/gboom/49256713417/in/album-72157712309828232/ (snapped by yet another PVAMU alum lol)

I figured as much because I saw almost every school represented.

One things for sure that Stadium was packed with folks. I had club level seats and there was some serious go times going on behind the stands. With all the TVs, food and seating available you almost didn’t have come out to see the game in person.

I’m still on my win high. Just watched the game from my ESPN App...that was also a great experience. A real good look for the schools and HBCUs in general.

Professor
December 23rd, 2019, 02:53 PM
Mike left the MEAC at first opportunity. Pretty sure he, and most non-delusional FCS fans, would tell you William and Mary is a step up from Howard.

2 winning seasons since 2011. Lol ok. Howard gave him a chance at redemption. He left before he got fired. But ok. Better job. Lol. Let me know when his team is winning in the CAA

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Richmond (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)
13–3
6–2
3rd (South)
W FCS Championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship)

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Richmond (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)
11–2
7–1
1st (South)
L FCS Quarterfinals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship)

Richmond:
24–5
13–3

Virginia Cavaliers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Cavaliers_football) (Atlantic Coast Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference)) (2010–2015)

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
1–7
T–5th (Coastal)

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
8–5
5–3
T–2nd (Coastal)
L Chick-fil-A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Chick-fil-A_Bowl)

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
2–6
6th (Coastal)

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
2–10
0–8
7th (Coastal)

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
5–7
3–5
7th (Coastal)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
3–5
6th (Coastal)

Virginia:
27–46
14–34

Howard Bison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Bison_football) (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Eastern_Athletic_Conference)) (2017–2018)

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Howard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Howard_Bison_football_team)
7–4
6–2
T–2nd

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Howard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Howard_Bison_football_team)
4–6
4–3
T–4th

Howard:
11–10
11–6

William & Mary Tribe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football) (Colonial Athletic Association) (2019–present)

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
William & Mary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football_team)
4–6
2–4

William & Mary:
4–6
2–4

DEX
December 23rd, 2019, 03:30 PM
To bad this couldn't be a thread about the actual game instead of the same ol recycled arguments we see every year.

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 03:30 PM
I figured as much because I saw almost every school represented.

One things for sure that Stadium was packed with folks. I had club level seats and there was some serious go times going on behind the stands. With all the TVs, food and seating available you almost didn’t have come out to see the game in person.

I’m still on my win high. Just watched the game from my ESPN App...that was also a great experience. A real good look for the schools and HBCUs in general.

Definitely a good look. Much, much kudos to NCA&T. Everyone else is playing catch up w/ NCA&T at this point.

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 03:31 PM
To bad this couldn't be a thread about the actual game instead of the same ol recycled arguments we see every year from a bunch of jealous whiners whose schools have no history and no notoriety.

FYP. :)

Puddin Tane
December 23rd, 2019, 03:51 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Speaking of no history AND no notoriety. xlolx It’s HBCU, you stup... chemical plant working, vidor dwelling dweeb. xsmhx

And add the stench of seriously ugly orange and look what we have: 2 addt’l playoff no shows, all talk no ass, who won’t touch hwy 121 in Jan. Duh. xlolx

theres a difference in saying black college vs hbcu?

is that a trigger for you? do you need to go to your designated safe place on campus? talk to a counselor?

McNeese75
December 23rd, 2019, 04:09 PM
theres a difference in saying black college vs hbcu?

is that a trigger for you? do you need to go to your designated safe place on campus? talk to a coundelor?

Refer him to Post #164 and the title of the video on this thread. He is just stirring ****, and now he get to lick the spoon.

ASU33
December 23rd, 2019, 05:13 PM
I had fun. Great event. Great seeing the representation from HBCUs across the board. I always enjoy myself at the Celebration Bowl.

The score was a shocker to me. I never thought that we'd get that high scoring of a game.

katss07
December 23rd, 2019, 05:56 PM
2 winning seasons since 2011. Lol ok. Howard gave him a chance at redemption. He left before he got fired. But ok. Better job. Lol. Let me know when his team is winning in the CAA

2008 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Richmond (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)
13–3
6–2
3rd (South)
W FCS Championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship)

2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season)
Richmond (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Richmond_Spiders_football_team)
11–2
7–1
1st (South)
L FCS Quarterfinals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship)

Richmond:
24–5
13–3

Virginia Cavaliers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Cavaliers_football) (Atlantic Coast Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference)) (2010–2015)

2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
1–7
T–5th (Coastal)

2011 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
8–5
5–3
T–2nd (Coastal)
L Chick-fil-A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Chick-fil-A_Bowl)

2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
2–6
6th (Coastal)

2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
2–10
0–8
7th (Coastal)

2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
5–7
3–5
7th (Coastal)

2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Virginia_Cavaliers_football_team)
4–8
3–5
6th (Coastal)

Virginia:
27–46
14–34

Howard Bison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Bison_football) (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Eastern_Athletic_Conference)) (2017–2018)

2017 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Howard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Howard_Bison_football_team)
7–4
6–2
T–2nd

2018 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
Howard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Howard_Bison_football_team)
4–6
4–3
T–4th

Howard:
11–10
11–6

William & Mary Tribe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football) (Colonial Athletic Association) (2019–present)

2019 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_season)
William & Mary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_William_%26_Mary_Tribe_football_team)
4–6
2–4

William & Mary:
4–6
2–4

He had a winning record in two seasons at Howard and tied for second. He had time at HU. I know HBCUs standards aren’t that high.

Puddin Tane
December 23rd, 2019, 07:37 PM
Refer him to Post #164 and the title of the video on this thread. He is just stirring ****, and now he get to lick the spoon.

naw, no point, .....

A&T AGGIE96
December 23rd, 2019, 10:16 PM
To bad this couldn't be a thread about the actual game instead of the same ol recycled arguments we see every year.

Come on Dex, are you really expecting anything different on this board...

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 10:37 PM
These stiff noassatall so and so’s... expected behavior from those whose own fanbase doesn’t show them any semblance of support @ the gate xsmhx .

Professor
December 24th, 2019, 08:23 AM
He had a winning record in two seasons at Howard and tied for second. He had time at HU. I know HBCUs standards aren’t that high.

Again, u see the downward trend. He hits a peek and then regresses, it is in his file. Just watch what William & Mary doesn't do

WestCoastAggie
December 24th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Well, here's the deal guys.

A&T's season is over and we have another HBCU National Title and Celebration Bowl champ. Yes, we were lucky to be here it's a blessing either way. It's a far score from where we were 2 decades ago. However, North Dakota State is unlike a team we've seen and they have a streak that will be most likely never to be seen again whenever it ends.

They will be the most disciplined team A&T has ever played in this run and the deck will be stacked against the Aggies. However, the coaches know this and are recruiting as such. Coach Washington is ready to get the team focused on Spring Workouts and Spring Practice when they return from Christmas Vacation in January.

The the greater topic of the MEAC's participating in the FCS playoffs, it is what it is. The conference needs to improve its OOC record. We need Morgan State, NCCU, Norfolk State, FAMU, and the others to beat their PWI counterparts when they play. Then and only then we will have legit resumes to have multiple teams in post-season play. We're on the right track but it must continue to move onward and upward.

BTW: A&T will have some quality Transfer Portal kids coming through with immediate eligibility in addition to the multiple Redshirts and FCS transfers (from ISUb and Jacksonville State for example) will be ready to compete for playing time in 2020. Our secondary will be much improved in 2020. A&T will continue "to do Chicken."

Redbird 4th & short
December 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM
The orignal poster (AT Aggie96) said this in his first post:"No one talks about A&T going to the NCAA playoffs any more. That’s a waste of time and money. The Celebration Bowl pays, and the dividends are about much more than football."

Then in his 2nd post he said this: "More FCS Conferences should weigh their options instead of the current system...None of us should be forced into a "Pay for play" post season."

So the OP opened the topic to challenge the merits of the existing FCS playoff system, which is an invitation to debate the merits of the Bowl system, and the Celebration Bowl. ... so the OP opened this can of worms with his very first post.

Note, many many people have criticized both the old and current FBS Bowl and playoff system. So it's not like the Bowl system is a proven way to determine a champion. Nor has any other college sport adopted the Bowl approach .. everyone else does a tournament approach.

Lastly, despite above, I have consistently applauded the success of the Celebration Bowl and argued for MEAC to still be eligible for an at large bid, if deserved. But when posters come here and make unjustified claims, theyre bound to catch some flak .. same as Ivy, same as Colonial (some years), same as Big Sky (before they got much better the last few years) .. same as any team who goes 9-2 against the 110th ranked SOS and claims their record proves they should be a top 8 seed ... all the same arguments, and not just directed towards the MEAC.

LetsGoPeay
December 24th, 2019, 10:26 AM
The Celebration Bowl looks to be very healthy in it's 5th year. Highest attendance since the inaugural game back in 2015. 2nd highest attended game so far this bowl season, with only the Holiday Bowl beating it out so far. The Hawai'i Bowl, seeing that it's virtually a UH home game, may exceed 33,000 today because of BYU. ( although they haven't broken over 33,000 since 2010 ).

It'll be interesting to see what numbers the game does, if in the event NCAT isn't the MEAC representative, or if one of the larger SWAC fan bases makes it to the game, like a Jackson State or a Southern. Does it maintain its 30K guaranteed in the stands status? Would a Jackson St vs NCAT/FAMU Celebration Bowl push it to 40K?

If that game could somehow get to 50K+, like how FAMU & TSU had the Atlanta Football Classic, that would be outstanding.

The Aggie Nation has done very well in fully supporting this game. But kind of like with NDSU and the FCS Championship, what would the impact on the game be, if you weren't one of the participants?

Nonetheless, that's a scenario that we'll come to when/if it ever happens. Congrats on your Celebration Bowl victory.

Herdistheword
December 24th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Looking forward to watching the game next year. It will be really fun to see how NC A&T matches up with NDSU. NDSU will be coming off a very tough Oregon game , so I’m glad we get you guys at home.

Redbird 4th & short
December 24th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Well, here's the deal guys.

A&T's season is over and we have another HBCU National Title and Celebration Bowl champ. Yes, we were lucky to be here it's a blessing either way. It's a far score from where we were 2 decades ago. However, North Dakota State is unlike a team we've seen and they have a streak that will be most likely never to be seen again whenever it ends.

They will be the most disciplined team A&T has ever played in this run and the deck will be stacked against the Aggies. However, the coaches know this and are recruiting as such. Coach Washington is ready to get the team focused on Spring Workouts and Spring Practice when they return from Christmas Vacation in January.

The the greater topic of the MEAC's participating in the FCS playoffs, it is what it is. The conference needs to improve its OOC record. We need Morgan State, NCCU, Norfolk State, FAMU, and the others to beat their PWI counterparts when they play. Then and only then we will have legit resumes to have multiple teams in post-season play. We're on the right track but it must continue to move onward and upward.

BTW: A&T will have some quality Transfer Portal kids coming through with immediate eligibility in addition to the multiple Redshirts and FCS transfers (from ISUb and Jacksonville State for example) will be ready to compete for playing time in 2020. Our secondary will be much improved in 2020. A&T will continue "to do Chicken."
good post

ASU33
December 24th, 2019, 12:11 PM
The Celebration Bowl looks to be very healthy in it's 5th year. Highest attendance since the inaugural game back in 2015. 2nd highest attended game so far this bowl season, with only the Holiday Bowl beating it out so far. The Hawai'i Bowl, seeing that it's virtually a UH home game, may exceed 33,000 today because of BYU. ( although they haven't broken over 33,000 since 2010 ).

It'll be interesting to see what numbers the game does, if in the event NCAT isn't the MEAC representative, or if one of the larger SWAC fan bases makes it to the game, like a Jackson State or a Southern. Does it maintain its 30K guaranteed in the stands status? Would a Jackson St vs NCAT/FAMU Celebration Bowl push it to 40K?

If that game could somehow get to 50K+, like how FAMU & TSU had the Atlanta Football Classic, that would be outstanding.

The Aggie Nation has done very well in fully supporting this game. But kind of like with NDSU and the FCS Championship, what would the impact on the game be, if you weren't one of the participants?

Nonetheless, that's a scenario that we'll come to when/if it ever happens. Congrats on your Celebration Bowl victory.

Legit question. People here in Atlanta were definitely rooting for Southern in the SWAC Championship game. Southern here in Atlanta brings a LOT of revenue and fans. Southern also brings the celebrity element as well. When Jackson State played in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge in September the game sold out and it was 95% JSU fans. Even with Alabama/Duke playing here that weekend you saw JSU folks all over the city. Southern or Jackson State brings those type of fanbases and so does FAMU. NC A&T fans travel very well but not to the level of those 3 fan bases. A FAMU/Southern Celebration Bowl would definitely exceed 40k easily.

Professor
December 24th, 2019, 12:38 PM

As long as the MEAC rep is A&T, SCSU or FAMU , the game will be fine. Now if Jackson State or Southern from the SWAC get into the bowl, it's going to be huge, like 50k huge. The SWAC team is at a disadvantage because they play their championship 2 weeks prior. It's still Christmas time

ASU33
December 24th, 2019, 12:48 PM
As long as the MEAC rep is A&T, SCSU or FAMU , the game will be fine. Now if Jackson State or Southern from the SWAC get into the bowl, it's going to be huge, like 50k huge. The SWAC team is at a disadvantage because they play their championship 2 weeks prior. It's still Christmas time

Disaster would be one of the Texas schools making it or Grambling and UAPB.

Professor
December 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM

Grambling was ok when they came. We outnumbered them too

ASU33
December 24th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Grambling was ok when they came. We outnumbered them too

Grambling was awful. That was to be expected though. For as big as a name as they are they don't travel well at all. Grambling maybe brought 1,200 people to the Celebration Bowl in 2017.

Panther88
December 24th, 2019, 03:36 PM

I seriously doubt that sir. PVAMU fans are so starved for a return to championship and obvious publicity, I can ASSURE you, every plane leaving DFW/IAH will be packed w/ purple&gold "PV," as we did in '09 w/ B'ham. We took over Alabama. :D

PV has a following. Quite dormant and uninterested in SEVERAL but we do have a following. 52K+ in LA in year one vs NCA&T; 55K+ in year two vs Morehouse in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0bZilE-X5g

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2019, 05:46 PM
I seriously doubt that sir. PVAMU fans are so starved for a return to championship and obvious publicity, I can ASSURE you, every plane leaving DFW/IAH will be packed w/ purple&gold "PV," as we did in '09 w/ B'ham. We took over Alabama. :D

A very underrated fan base. Check the attendance figures at those State Fair Classic games with Grambling State--52,315 this past season.

Puddin Tane
December 24th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Grambling brought a good crowd to Beaumont couple years ago

DEX
December 25th, 2019, 08:40 AM
I've been to the last three Celebration Bowls and thoroughly enjoyed myself but I sometimes wish for a bigger stage. Anyways next year can be a special season if someone steps up at qb. Looking forward to a challenging nonconference schedule of Liberty, NDSU and Charleston Southern and conference battle with FAMU.

ejjones
December 26th, 2019, 05:54 AM
I've been to the last three Celebration Bowls and thoroughly enjoyed myself but I sometimes wish for a bigger stage. Anyways next year can be a special season if someone steps up at qb. Looking forward to a challenging nonconference schedule of Liberty, NDSU and Charleston Southern and conference battle with FAMU.
Now that last part was funny :-)

WestCoastAggie
December 26th, 2019, 07:58 AM

We're not playing Charleston Southern in 2020, unless they've moved up the game.

bonarae
December 27th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Meanwhile... has this article below been posted here already? xchinscratchx

http://ow.ly/pNGv50xI9qI

Herder
December 27th, 2019, 09:55 AM
A&T fans, at the end of the season if you were . . .
1) Celebration Bowl exhibition game winner (or)
2) DI FCS National Champions

What would be your preference?

Professor
December 27th, 2019, 11:09 AM
A&T fans, at the of the season if you were . . .
1) Celebration Bowl exhibition game winner (or)
2) DI FCS National Champions

What would be your preference?

I have to take the Celebration Bowl. Just based on Money and exposure. We clear over 600k every appearance and have 1.8 million people watching a 3 hour A&T informational which has led to us getting 20k applications annually.

Herder
December 27th, 2019, 12:54 PM
I have to take the Celebration Bowl. Just based on Money and exposure. We clear over 600k every appearance and have 1.8 million people watching a 3 hour A&T informational which has led to us getting 20k applications annually.

The NC Game should surpass the 1.8 rating on ABC, and would do more for your school’s national profile outside the MEAC. It wouldn’t match the dollars however.

Professor
December 27th, 2019, 01:25 PM
The NC Game should surpass the 1.8 rating on ABC, and would do more for your school’s national profile outside the MEAC. It wouldn’t match the dollars however.

We shall see. But our national profile / identity has grown. We are looking for our 4th straight NFL draft pick this year. Donations are up. Applications to the school are up. We are getting transfers who wanna play for us. Not to diminish the FCS National title game or playoffs. But this platform is working for us , and i say ride the train until the wheels fall off

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 02:12 PM
We shall see. But our national profile / identity has grown. We are looking for our 4th straight NFL draft pick this year. Donations are up. Applications to the school are up. We are getting transfers who wanna play for us. Not to diminish the FCS National title game or playoffs. But this platform is working for us , and i say ride the train until the wheels fall off
agreed it has quickly turned into a great bowl game event for HBCU. No reason to not continue doing it. And I still think remaining MEAC and SWAC teams should be eligible for at large bid, if earned.

But it would be very hard to replicate that elsewhere in FCS, except maybe with nonschollies. So i like the current FCS format as is with 24 teams .. to me it is perfect size and format with 16 playing into top 8 seeds, especially with 120 or so teams to choose from. Maybe the non-schollies could do a Bowl, because that is a logical distinction. But I just don't see any other Bowl games for FCS level succeeding like Celebration Bowl has. Besides, I strongly prefer format that determines a true champion .. all other college sports have tournaments, except FBS until the final four was instituted.

Herder
December 27th, 2019, 02:14 PM

As a top 10 team, I'd think at some point you'd want to be tested. Not going to get tested much playing SWAC MEAC teams it seems. Id think the others might not want to be in the playoffs, but a top 10 A&T has to be longing for more.

DFW HOYA
December 27th, 2019, 03:03 PM
But it would be very hard to replicate that elsewhere in FCS, except maybe with nonschollies. So i like the current FCS format as is with 24 teams .. to me it is perfect size and format with 16 playing into top 8 seeds, especially with 120 or so teams to choose from. Maybe the non-schollies could do a Bowl, because that is a logical distinction.

There are only 12 I-AA non-scholarship programs that would even consider a post-season game, and 11 are in the same conference.

Professor
December 27th, 2019, 05:40 PM
As a top 10 team, I'd think at some point you'd want to be tested. Not going to get tested much playing SWAC MEAC teams it seems. Id think the others might not want to be in the playoffs, but a top 10 A&T has to be longing for more.

We beat Elon when they were top 10, We played Coastal when they were in the tops of FCS, We beat App when they were transitioning to FBS , We beat #10 Jax State at a neutral field, we are going to NDSU next fall.

We challenge ourselves. We have a decent OOC FCS record these past few years.

And the MEAC ain't that bad. A&T , SCSU, FAMU and BCU are capable of pulling off upsets. We all just don't schedule enough FCS games. MEAC gets a bad wrap because the bottom teams get blown out against the top FCS teams

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 06:06 PM
There are only 12 I-AA non-scholarship programs that would even consider a post-season game, and 11 are in the same conference.
Forgive my ignorance but conference and which team are you saying would support?

bonarae
December 27th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Forgive my ignorance but conference and which team are you saying would support?

He's referring to the PFL.

marenlee
December 27th, 2019, 07:28 PM
One of the biggest things for me driving the negative perception of the MEAC is the last playoff win being in 1999. The post season is where you really prove how good you are against the field striving for a championship. I was always a big fan of SWAC schools but that interest has waned recently because of the bowl. The HBCUs have not had success in the post season in a long time and feels like a cop out to do the bowl game. I understand the benefits to the schools in the celebration bowl, but from a competition stand point is just another exhibition game to me. I’m sure many here feel the same. Just my opinion.

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 07:31 PM
He's referring to the PFL.
instead of FCS playoffs ??

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 07:36 PM
One of the biggest things for me driving the negative perception of the MEAC is the last playoff win being in 1999. The post season is where you really prove how good you are against the field striving for a championship. I was always a big fan of SWAC schools but that interest has waned recently because of the bowl. The HBCUs have not had success in the post season in a long time and feels like a cop out to do the bowl game. I understand the benefits to the schools in the celebration bowl, but from a competition stand point is just another exhibition game to me. I’m sure many here feel the same. Just my opinion.

I agree with your general point, but given how well the Celebration Bowl has done .. it is hard to knock it. Somebody had a vision and delivered on it .. maybe better than they even thought it would turn out.

bonarae
December 27th, 2019, 08:09 PM
instead of FCS playoffs ??

No. Speaking of playoff participation, the Ivies do not participate due to various reasons, but I hope that within our lifetimes, they will finally bow their pride to the likes of NDSU and schedule them during the regular season and also participate in the playoffs. xprayx

DEX
December 27th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Ironically A&T voted against giving up the AQ for the CB. I still remember our AD, Earl Hilton saying he wanted all of our athletes to have the opportunity to compete for a national championship.
Ive been to the last 3 Celebration Bowls and had a blast but I'd prefer FCS National Championship. Of course I'm in the minority. As long as we're in the MEAC the CB is the right post season option for us as the MEAC schedule doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs, but we're making progress. Lastly the playoffs need a major overhaul. Get rid of pay to play.

SUPharmacist
December 27th, 2019, 08:58 PM
We beat Elon when they were top 10, We played Coastal when they were in the tops of FCS, We beat App when they were transitioning to FBS , We beat #10 Jax State at a neutral field, we are going to NDSU next fall.

I appreciate how A&T schedules and feel their pain when it comes to the moving goalposts when they beat top FCS teams.

They get the same arguments FCS teams get when they beat FBS teams. It must be a down year for whatever team since they lost to so & so (NDSU hears this every time they beat an FBS team).

All you can do is keep scheduling the games. Playoff success would help, but I understand the reasons for the Celebration Bowl.

Regardless I am looking forward to the NDSU-NC A&T game. Any games against teams that have solid history an engaged fanbase are fun.

Herder
December 28th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Ironically A&T voted against giving up the AQ for the CB. I still remember our AD, Earl Hilton saying he wanted all of our athletes to have the opportunity to compete for a national championship.
Ive been to the last 3 Celebration Bowls and had a blast but I'd prefer FCS National Championship. Of course I'm in the minority. As long as we're in the MEAC the CB is the right post season option for us as the MEAC schedule doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs, but we're making progress. Lastly the playoffs need a major overhaul. Get rid of pay to play.

FCOA is available at the DI level for any and all schools, and is just as important in women’s softball (and all other sports) as it is in football. Recruiting for FB in MN, WI, IL, IN, MO, NE etc against the MAC and Mt West teams for players, it’s important if you want to compete. Our schools are competing for national championships against B1G, B12, MWC in all other sports, and we ARE playing them in FB too. DI is about competing, obviously there are lots of FCS schools that shouldn’t be DI if they are not striving to compete and beat the top teams.

Are you going to tell Loyola (MVC) and Gonzaga (WCC) they can’t do FCOA for any sports?

There’s a reason that they got rid of the erroneous DI-A DI-AA DI-AAA labeling. The only “Divisions” in the NCAA are DI, DII, DIII.

Herder
December 28th, 2019, 05:42 AM

Iron sharpens Iron, which was my point too. I agree, If you want to improve how you compete nationally vs DI FCS teams, you have to get out of the MEAC SWAC fish bowl into the bigger water. Credit to A&T for doing that with their early season schedule.

Herder
December 28th, 2019, 05:50 AM

And the MEAC ain't that bad. A&T , SCSU, FAMU and BCU are capable of pulling off upsets. We all just don't schedule enough FCS games. MEAC gets a bad wrap because the bottom teams get blown out against the top FCS teams

Agreed, thanks!

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 03:02 PM
I appreciate how A&T schedules and feel their pain when it comes to the moving goalposts when they beat top FCS teams.

They get the same arguments FCS teams get when they beat FBS teams. It must be a down year for whatever team since they lost to so & so (NDSU hears this every time they beat an FBS team).

All you can do is keep scheduling the games. Playoff success would help, but I understand the reasons for the Celebration Bowl.

Regardless I am looking forward to the NDSU-NC A&T game. Any games against teams that have solid history an engaged fanbase are fun.
I'm not sure I agree about moving goal posts for their FBS wins. But since I've been one of their bigger critics, I'll respond.

Every time I've looked at their wins, ive compared it directly to other teams FBS wins or losses using the exact same measuring stick .. Massey Composite. Including an honest assessment of our 16 point win over Colorado St last year .. as season progressed, it looked less and less impressive. Done exact same for any other FCS game against an FBS team including discounting SIUs win over UMass .. possibly the worst FBS team who would not make our FCS playoff .. possibly not even our FCS Top 30. But I always go to Massey Composite as my baseline.

As for my discounting their JSU win last year .. all I ever said was, no, that win does not make you #1 or even #2 like several of their fans claiming at the time. I said top 10 or 15 maybe and they wound up around top 20 I believe after a couple more weak wins and losses. When you get outgained 400 to 150 .. you should take your win and not beat your chest any where near as much as some of them did.

So no goal post shifting or singling them out .. just applying exact same standard as I do for other teams.

A&T AGGIE96
December 28th, 2019, 09:19 PM
So after all these posts, do any of you think any other FCS conferences will weigh their options outside the playoffs?

Regional bowl games?? Payouts ?? TV ?? I just can’t see continuing to pay to play?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 30th, 2019, 12:01 PM
So after all these posts, do any of you think any other FCS conferences will weigh their options outside the playoffs?

Regional bowl games?? Payouts ?? TV ?? I just can’t see continuing to pay to play?

For me, never want my team to even think about it. The playoffs is the point for myself anyway.

Can you clarify what you mean by the pay to play part though? Are you talking about the NCAA paying for the tournament and so forth but then taking a large part of the gate for teams and leaving them with a smaller portion?

I think it's great your conferences have something really good going for you with it as I mentioned a while back though just so we are clear on that.

Anthony215
December 30th, 2019, 01:48 PM
I wish the Celebration Bowl was played the last Regular Season week of the season allowing both the MEAC and SWAC champions the chance to participate in the FCS playoffs. Although I'm sure that will never happen as both conferences need a few weeks to promote the game, arrange travel arrangments/media obligations, and proper time for fans to purchase tickets to the game in Atlanta. If this were to become reality all that would be needed would be to allow both conferences the chance to start their season 1 week earlier so that they can still have a bye during the season and get in 11 games each year before the Bowl game.

GAD
December 30th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I wish the Celebration Bowl was played the last Regular Season week of the season allowing both the MEAC and SWAC champions the chance to participate in the FCS playoffs. Although I'm sure that will never happen as both conferences need a few weeks to promote the game, arrange travel arrangments/media obligations, and proper time for fans to purchase tickets to the game in Atlanta. If this were to become reality all that would be needed would be to allow both conferences the chance to start their season 1 week earlier so that they can still have a bye during the season and get in 11 games each year before the Bowl game.
That will never ever happen Bayou Classic is on Thanksgiving Weekend has been since before 1978, moving the game off of that weekend would cause to many problems

Bisonoline
December 30th, 2019, 07:06 PM

Why would you think that some of the conferences that dont win much now would have a game for just them. What would the draw be?

There is no nitch or cultural tie in like the HBCs.

Redbird 4th & short
December 30th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Why would you think that some of the conferences that dont win much now would have a game for just them. What would the draw be?

There is no nitch or cultural tie in like the HBCs.
non-schollies maybe ?? But agree .. nothing else makes any sense. Even FBS went to the 4 team CFB because they wanted a true champion. No other sport does a Bowl Series that I am aware of .. all others do tournaments to determine true champs.

Herder
January 2nd, 2020, 11:42 AM

We obviously disagree on the mission of a college football team, but if your goal is not to win championships, why have football in the first place. Name another sport that A&T sponsors where is the goal is not to win championships, but make money. An objective of making money (not winning and competing for titles) sounds kind of silly to me. Try selling that anyone outside the MEAC/IVY/SWAC. You'd be called a fool. Try telling Ohio State that their season was a sparkling success because they made lots of money in their bowl game loss.

Professor
January 2nd, 2020, 12:50 PM
We obviously disagree on the mission of a college football team, but if your goal is not to win championships, why have football in the first place. Name another sport that A&T sponsors where is the goal is not to win championships, but make money. An objective of making money (not winning and competing for titles) sounds kind of silly to me. Try selling that anyone outside the MEAC/IVY/SWAC. You'd be called a fool. Try telling Ohio State that their season was a sparkling success because they made lots of money in their bowl game loss.

Disagree with your assessment of championships. A&T won their conference. That is a championship. The winner of the MEAC is contractually obligated to the Celebration Bowl, which has it's own trophy for the winner of the celebration bow. Then you have the HBCU Championship which is debatable being tied in with the Celebration Bowl. That's what teams in the MEAC and SWAC are playing for, 1) Conference Title, 2) Celebration Bowl Championship , 3) HBCU Championship

So A&T has won 2 or 3 championships / trophies this season depending on who you ask. That's a successful season. It might not be what you think a championship is but it is a win win for these conferences. HBCU's have a niche and it is working well for them. Some don't feel it's valid due to it not being the FCS title. And that's their right. But it doesn't take away A&T level of success

Herder
January 2nd, 2020, 01:05 PM
Disagree with your assessment of championships. A&T won their conference. That is a championship. The winner of the MEAC is contractually obligated to the Celebration Bowl, which has it's own trophy for the winner of the celebration bow. Then you have the HBCU Championship which is debatable being tied in with the Celebration Bowl. That's what teams in the MEAC and SWAC are playing for, 1) Conference Title, 2) Celebration Bowl Championship , 3) HBCU Championship

So A&T has won 2 or 3 championships / trophies this season depending on who you ask. That's a successful season. It might not be what you think a championship is but it is a win win for these conferences. HBCU's have a niche and it is working well for them. Some don't feel it's valid due to it not being the FCS title. And that's their right. But it doesn't take away A&T level of success

So, you’d support doing the same in basketball? Take the SWAC MEAC champs at the end of the season and rent out an NBA arena for a special game to declare the HBCU national champion, instead of playing in the NCAA Tournament? You have less of a chance to win that national title, so it would seem to make sense. May as well try to find some money instead of losing in round 1 and getting zero shares of the money. You’re never going to win an NCAA basketball title, so why even compete?

Anthony215
January 2nd, 2020, 01:17 PM
So, you’d support doing the same in basketball? Take the SWAC MEAC champs at the end of the season and rent out an NBA arena for a special game to declare the HBCU national champion, instead of playing in the NCAA Tournament? You have less of a chance to win that national title, so it would seem to make sense. May as well try to find some money instead of losing in round 1 and getting zero shares of the money. You’re never going to win an NCAA basketball title, so why even compete?

Wow when you put it like that it gives another perspective. The issue with HBCU basketball is that they truly get the leftovers as most of their players are very low end D1 players or guys who would be starters at the D2 level for top 25 programs. They would draw little to no fans if they rented out an arena and had a championship game between the MEAC/SWAC title. Now if the top players decided since they're only doing 1 year only in college and started picking HBCU's then I could see the MEAC/SWAC champs making noise in the NCAA tournament but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

As for football this can be debated 365 days a year and there will never be a solution that satisfies everyone. The conferences are making money in this Celebration Bowl, they're having it aired on national television, attendance has been pretty good since it's inception and outdraws probably half the FBS bowl games so until the numbers on TV and in the stands say different this game will host both conference champions and fans will be left arguing why the 2nd place team from the stronger conference was snubbed over by the FCS playoff committee.

Professor
January 2nd, 2020, 01:22 PM

If ESPN would sponsor it and give both conferences a million each like they are for the Celebration Bowl, I sure would be for it. The issue in FCS is that it's no money payout and majority of the schools lose money in the playoffs. This has been discussed plenty on here. Your analogy is wrong because in the NCAA Basketball tourny , each conference is paid. Your amount is determined by how far each of your conference teams go. Each team earns a unit , and then that final unit number is multiplied by the payout and a check is cut to your conference. That's different from the FCS playoffs and why everyone participates in the tourny.

Be mad at the NCAA for not finding a way for all schools to benefit from the playoffs not at the MEAC / SWAC because they found an avenue. The FCS playoffs is broken and needs a fix.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2020, 01:29 PM
Obviously you have no clue how round 1 games work lol. Zero shares? xlolx Lawddddddd.... these ppl. xsmhx

Professor
January 2nd, 2020, 01:30 PM
Wow when you put it like that it gives another perspective. The issue with HBCU basketball is that they truly get the leftovers as most of their players are very low end D1 players or guys who would be starters at the D2 level for top 25 programs. They would draw little to no fans if they rented out an arena and had a championship game between the MEAC/SWAC title. Now if the top players decided since they're only doing 1 year only in college and started picking HBCU's then I could see the MEAC/SWAC champs making noise in the NCAA tournament but the odds of that happening are slim to none.

As for football this can be debated 365 days a year and there will never be a solution that satisfies everyone. The conferences are making money in this Celebration Bowl, they're having it aired on national television, attendance has been pretty good since it's inception and outdraws probably half the FBS bowl games so until the numbers on TV and in the stands say different this game will host both conference champions and fans will be left arguing why the 2nd place team from the stronger conference was snubbed over by the FCS playoff committee.

I disagree on the basketball comment. The MEAC is ranked 13th i believe in conference tournament Attendance. I don't know where the SWAC is. But a decent venue in a destination city in late March / Early April would have a good crowd. The conversation would be on the money and how it ranks vs March Madness

Professor
January 2nd, 2020, 01:33 PM
Obviously you have no clue how round 1 games work lol. Zero shares? xlolx Lawddddddd.... these ppl. xsmhx

I'm trying to explain it lol. It's actually better if we play in the play in game. That is a share, we win and we make the 1st round which is another share. I've just learned that a lot don't know the business of college athletics. That is why i love my AD. In the meetings he breaks it down and explains to the donors

Redbird 4th & short
January 2nd, 2020, 02:10 PM

to clarify ... this year, we weren't arguinig about the 2nd best MEAC team, we were arguing about the 3rd best team in a conference whose 1st and 2nd place teams haven't won a playoff game in 20 years .. and only been barely competitive (10 point losses) in 2 of 8 playoff games in last 10 years .. the other 6 being blowouts of mostly their 1st place teams.

Panther88
January 2nd, 2020, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to explain it lol. It's actually better if we play in the play in game. That is a share, we win and we make the 1st round which is another share. I've just learned that a lot don't know the business of college athletics. That is why i love my AD. In the meetings he breaks it down and explains to the donors

Righto! Spot on! (from a financial perspective) The human being above, he/she has absolutely no clue how it works. lol

Professor
January 2nd, 2020, 03:09 PM
Righto! Spot on! (from a financial perspective) The human being above, he/she has absolutely no clue how it works. lol

And it's usually the only game or 1 of 2 games that night

Panther88
January 2nd, 2020, 04:52 PM
And it's usually the only game or 1 of 2 games that night

xsmhx Him also doesn't understand the benefit of having the pre-stage to ones-self, + "1" addt'l nat'l broadcast-ed game, before the upcoming 4-day stretch of tourney games (determines the sweet "16") lol. Amazing.

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2020, 06:20 PM

But that level of success is relegated to a pretty small sand box and the fan demographic is pretty well defined.
You have a pretty good deal for chasing the dollars. It works for you. I get it.
But---
You cant make your mark in the FCS unless you fully participate in it.

Herder
January 2nd, 2020, 08:03 PM
If ESPN would sponsor it and give both conferences a million each like they are for the Celebration Bowl, I sure would be for it. The issue in FCS is that it's no money payout and majority of the schools lose money in the playoffs. This has been discussed plenty on here. Your analogy is wrong because in the NCAA Basketball tourny , each conference is paid. Your amount is determined by how far each of your conference teams go. Each team earns a unit , and then that final unit number is multiplied by the payout and a check is cut to your conference. That's different from the FCS playoffs and why everyone participates in the tourny.

Be mad at the NCAA for not finding a way for all schools to benefit from the playoffs not at the MEAC / SWAC because they found an avenue. The FCS playoffs is broken and needs a fix.

Making $ on Playoff Games is about filling your stadium. You can’t fill your stadium for a playoff game, just an exhibition game?

Professor
January 3rd, 2020, 08:35 AM
But that level of success is relegated to a pretty small sand box and the fan demographic is pretty well defined.
You have a pretty good deal for chasing the dollars. It works for you. I get it.
But---[/B]
You cant make your mark in the FCS unless you fully participate in it.

According to this article , A&T is the 7th most successful program in FCS of the Decade. Not bad for a small sand box. Mind you , it's 125 FCS schools.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/28364738

Professor
January 3rd, 2020, 08:38 AM
Making $ on Playoff Games is about filling your stadium. You can’t fill your stadium for a playoff game, just an exhibition game?

Remember everyone doesn't get a home game

Four years ago, when the Towson football team won just one game all season and went 0-8 in the Colonial Athletic Association, the University would have traded anything for a few more wins.

Now that they have finished a season with 13 wins and a trip to the FCS National Championship game, they are realizing the financial cost of picking up those wins.

Most college football fans assume that the farther their team makes it in the season, the more money they willll make. But for both FBS and FCS schools, making a playoff run or a trip to a bowl game, it'ss usually about losing money. Between trips to Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington for playoff games and to Frisco, Texas. for the National Championship game, Towson lost $50,000, according to Director of Athletics Tim Leonard.

http://www.thetowerlight.com/2014/02/cover/comment-page-1/

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 09:19 AM

Four years ago, when the Towson football team won just one game all season and went 0-8 in the Colonial Athletic Association, the University would have traded anything for a few more wins.

Now that they have finished a season with 13 wins and a trip to the FCS National Championship game, they are realizing the financial cost of picking up those wins.

Most college football fans assume that the farther their team makes it in the season, the more money they willll make. But for both FBS and FCS schools, making a playoff run or a trip to a bowl game, it'ss usually about losing money. Between trips to Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington for playoff games and to Frisco, Texas. for the National Championship game, Towson lost $50,000, according to Director of Athletics Tim Leonard.

Oops! That page can’t be found.It looks like nothing was found at this location. Maybe try one of the links below or a search?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2020, 03:00 PM

The NCAA pays for those trips so they only way they lost money ys by doing something extra for possibly staff or family memers, or donors etc. Now if they made a choice to pay for something then that is on them, much like it would be on you or I for choosing to "lose money" attending a game.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2020, 03:12 PM
The NCAA pays for those trips so they only way they lost money ys by doing something extra for possibly staff or family memers, or donors etc. Now if they made a choice to pay for something then that is on them, much like it would be on you or I for choosing to "lose money" attending a game.

You are correct. Ive seen the breakdowns of expenses for bowl games. The schools only lose money is when they bring the band, cheerleaders, high rollers and their families, academic staff and families etc etc etc. You cant even blame they lost money because they had to buy X amount of tickets. Schools can now negotiate on the minimum and the conferences pick up the tab if they dont meet that number.

Professor
January 3rd, 2020, 06:11 PM
You are correct. Ive seen the breakdowns of expenses for bowl games. The schools only lose money is when they bring the band, cheerleaders, high rollers and their families, academic staff and families etc etc etc. You cant even blame they lost money because they had to buy X amount of tickets. Schools can now negotiate on the minimum and the conferences pick up the tab if they dont meet that number.

Hmmm didn't know band and cheerleaders are considered extra. That's crazy to me.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2020, 06:31 PM
According to this article , A&T is the 7th most successful program in FCS of the Decade. Not bad for a small sand box. Mind you , it's 125 FCS schools.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/28364738

I think you very well know what sandbox I am talking about.

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2020, 07:07 PM

Hmmm didn't know band and cheerleaders are considered extra. That's crazy to me.
Cheer team travel is paid for by the NCAA... the band is not. The NCAA does require that host schools provide free seating for the visiting team's band if they choose the bring them.

I'd be curious to read that article where Towson's AD claimed they lost $50k because they traveled 3 times (looks like Prof's link is now dead). Like ursus and oline mentioned there's no reason for visiting schools to lose money in the playoffs since the NCAA pays for travel for the team, coaches, and essential support staff (I believe the "travel party" is in the 110 range). The only possibility where schools can lose money in the playoffs is if they host and can't hit the minimum financial guarantee (but I think that's rarely a problem outside of the worst attended games of the first round) or if they decide to send their band and pay for it.