PDA

View Full Version : McNeese APR negates 2020 Playoffs.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2019, 04:33 PM
THe McNeese beat writer just tweeted that they are ineligible for the 2020 playoffs due to APR scores. That sucks. My Mocs APR dropped so low that they got a postseason ban, butthey went like 2-9 that year, so moot.....maybe for McNeese Too????

bonarae
December 17th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Oh no, that sucks for some contenders. xsmhx Is there a link for the searchable database for us to peruse?

taper
December 17th, 2019, 06:31 PM
https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

Searchable APR.

McNeese72
December 17th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Oh no, that sucks for some contenders. xsmhx Is there a link for the searchable database for us to peruse?

We can thank our past head coach for the ban. The 892 scores in his last two years did us in. He was too lax in discipline all the way around including academics and wasn't making sure the players were going to class and doing their academic work. That was the real reason he was let go, not his record in his three years.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
December 17th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Thanks Lance...At least our dropouts have swagger, right?

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2019, 07:24 PM
We can thank our past head coach for the ban. The 892 scores in his last two years did us in. He was too lax in discipline all the way around including academics and wasn't making sure the players were going to class and doing their academic work. That was the real reason he was let go, not his record in his three years.

Doc

all of these players who are all old enough to join the military have to be coaxed into class....... by the Coach...... I'm not commenting on McNeese here as I know this is commonplace pretty much but sad in my opinion

mvfcfan
December 17th, 2019, 08:41 PM
I think they need to get rid of APR standards. If the athlete wants to waste their scholarship that's on them.

Either that or make it where they have to have a certain GPA to get a scholarship and keep that GPA to get it renewed each year. I just think it is a little ridiculous to punish a whole team because of a few morons that didn't take class seriously.

JayJ79
December 17th, 2019, 08:49 PM
I think they need to get rid of APR standards. If the athlete wants to waste their scholarship that's on them.

Either that or make it where they have to have a certain GPA to get a scholarship and keep that GPA to get it renewed each year. I just think it is a little ridiculous to punish a whole team because of a few morons that didn't take class seriously.
it encourages coaches to consider that the academic prowess of players meets a certain standard instead of concentrating solely on their athletic ability.

BEAR
December 17th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Will they be eligible for the conference title? If the autobid goes to the champion....conflict arises.

clenz
December 17th, 2019, 09:26 PM

Either that or make it where they have to have a certain GPA to get a scholarship and keep that GPA to get it renewed each year. I just think it is a little ridiculous to punish a whole team because of a few morons that didn't take class seriously.I mean. That second part is almost actually the APR.

You make some really strange posts all around the message board world

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
December 17th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Will they be eligible for the conference title? If the autobid goes to the champion....conflict arises.
I believe that normally if a team is disqualified for postseason play then they aren't considered eligible for the conference championship.
In fact I believe some conferences don't even count games against that school to count toward conference standings (but I might be imagining that, as that would cause complication in leagues with unbalanced scheduling since schools that didn't play the disqualified team would have one more "conference game" than schools that did play them.)

FormerPokeCenter
December 17th, 2019, 09:43 PM
McNeese can be league champ, if they win enough games next year. They just can't play in the post season. The next highest team would get the Autobid.

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2019, 01:23 AM
I mean. That second part is almost actually the APR.

You make some really strange posts all around the message board world

You noticed that too. :D

clenz
December 18th, 2019, 06:14 AM
You noticed that too. :DI don't actually post anywhere but here and PN outside of a one off every few months but I still have a number of accounts and will bounce around reading things.

This dude... He's like lakes without the courage to go full blown lakes

Evansville fans started a pod on UE basketball and the MVC. He went on a 7 paragraph tirade over how much UE fans suck and how much the city sucks because in their power rankings one week they used pizza toppings for the ranking comparison. That triggered him hard.

He also created an account on the Jax State forum to congratulate JSU for beating UE with Sycamore in the name but claiming EIU as his team.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 18th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Wow... Say it ain't so Joe. I thought this was basically an isolated "low resource institution" problem?

BEAR
December 18th, 2019, 07:31 AM
McNeese can be league champ, if they win enough games next year. They just can't play in the post season. The next highest team would get the Autobid.

That’s strange. I thought only the league champ is allowed to get the autobid. Ineligible due to APR or transition to DI seem to be the same restriction. Especially since APR is self inflicted.

clenz
December 18th, 2019, 08:18 AM
That’s strange. I thought only the league champ is allowed to get the autobid. Ineligible due to APR or transition to DI seem to be the same restriction. Especially since APR is self inflicted.
Nope. We had a situation in the SWAC or MEAC like 2 or 3 years ago in the conference basketball tournament were like 3 of the 4 teams left in the conference tournament semifinals were ineligible due to APR so the one team already knew they were going to the dance even if they lost. They ended up winning but it was interesting to watch play out.

mvfcfan
December 18th, 2019, 08:31 AM
I don't actually post anywhere but here and PN outside of a one off every few months but I still have a number of accounts and will bounce around reading things.

Evansville fans started a pod on UE basketball and the MVC. He went on a 7 paragraph tirade over how much UE fans suck and how much the city sucks because in their power rankings one week they used pizza toppings for the ranking comparison. That triggered him hard.

He also created an account on the Jax State forum to congratulate JSU for beating UE with Sycamore in the name but claiming EIU as his team.

LMFAO!!! I didn't start that thread on Sycamorepride and I didn't write 7 paragraphs about UE. Got me confused with someone else. I did congratulate JSU on beating UE, so at least you got that right.

FYI I live in Terre Haute. I didn't go to college. I just enjoy college athletics. I support both ISU and EIU because they are both within an hour of my house. Also my signature / favorite teams listed are both ISU and EIU. When they both play each other I root for ISU. Hopefully that is enough clarity for you.

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2019, 10:11 AM

This is funny. Where was all of this when MEAC and SWAC teams were getting hit upside the head with APR penalties?

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2019, 10:12 AM

McNeese can also follow FAMU's lead and host a conference championship rally after the season if they finish with the best conference record.

Panther88
December 18th, 2019, 10:20 AM
This is funny. Where was all of this when MEAC and SWAC teams were getting hit upside the head with APR penalties?

The blasphemy is expected. Ain't no fun when the rabbit got da' gun.

Hits too close to home for a few. Most speak w/ a forked tongue lol. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Professor
December 18th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Exactly

JayJ79
December 18th, 2019, 11:14 AM

"all of this" = one person complaining about it. most people seem to accept that maintaining a base level of academic progress is a reasonable expectation for college athletic programs.

MSUBobcat
December 18th, 2019, 11:41 AM
I don't actually post anywhere but here and PN outside of a one off every few months but I still have a number of accounts and will bounce around reading things.

xlolxxlolx That's hilarious. Yet disturbing.

McNeese72
December 19th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Exactly

Don't know where you guys are coming from. The McNeese fans have accepted this and aren't pissed at the NCAA and the ban. They are pissed at the ex-head coach and the A.D. for letting it happen.

Doc

clenz
December 19th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Exactly
I haven't changed my tone at all.

It shouldn't be hard for a program to not face APR penalties.

It literally measures if your players on staying on track to graduate in 5 years.

To keep APR in good standing you literally just need kids to pass a 4, maybe...maybe... 5, classes a semester. It's not super hard.

Players transferring shouldn't hurt your program either - as long as they are in good academic standing.

I will never understand any institute of higher learning struggling with APR....maybe that makes me a racist living in a bubble I guess.

PAllen
December 19th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Here's a thought: Graduate your players. This might be a novel concept to some (not directed at anyone in particular), but college kids should actually get an education. Kids should go to college with the aim to graduate with a degree that will further their prospects in life. I just shake my head at institutions that allow kids who obviously don't know any better to be buttered up with all the wow and pizzazz of being a college athlete. Then as soon as they can't play anymore, they are cast aside. The fact that coaches are allowed (and sometimes encouraged) to steer and pressure kids toward easier majors that will do them little good in life, or only focus on gaining enough academic progress to remain eligible, disgusts me.

<End Rant>

McNeese75
December 19th, 2019, 10:34 AM

It literally measures if your players on staying on track to graduate in 5 years.

To keep APR in good standing you literally just need kids to pass a 4, maybe...maybe... 5, classes a semester. It's not super hard.

Players transferring shouldn't hurt your program either - as long as they are in good academic standing.

I will never understand any institute of higher learning struggling with APR....maybe that makes me a racist living in a bubble I guess.

Well, if you had the perfect storm of a "don't give a ****" head coach and a clueless AD then maybe you would understand the result.

McNeese75
December 19th, 2019, 10:35 AM
The blasphemy is expected. Ain't no fun when the rabbit got da' gun.

Hits too close to home for a few. Most speak w/ a forked tongue lol. xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Uhhh, maybe because nobody gave or gives a **** about those teams, ya think???

clenz
December 19th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Well, if you had the perfect storm of a "don't give a ****" head coach and a clueless AD then maybe you would understand the result.
I mean that's about the only way I "understand" it happening.

By understand I mean I grasp that is how it could/would happen.
Doesn't mean I "understand" it happening

I've said it before on these topics...but...I played at a D3 where the assistant coaches were working for maybe 30k a year. There was no compliance staff. There was no budget for keeping athletes eligible. The coaches spent more time doing class checks than they did in the film room most days. We had compulsory study group two nights a week after practice for all freshman....supervised by the coaches. It wasn't dick around and extra film time. It was actual forced study group/work time.

The only way you could avoid going twice a week was to maintain a 3.1 GPA through your freshman year (or have had a 28 or higher ACT in high school with at least a 3.8 GPA). Then you got to go once a week your sophomore year (or your freshman year if you had the requirements met). Starting your junior year as long as you had a 3.0 GPA and were attending classes (class checks done by coaches and attendance reported by professors) you weren't required to go to study group. However, if you were below 3.0 (even 2.99) you were required to go to study group. For every class you were caught skipping was 2 weeks of study group.

It takes effort on the part of the coaches but it's not excusable to let it happen.

A D1 requirement is a compliance office. What is the compliance office doing? I know at UNI study groups are required as well. There are tutors retained by the athletic department. I remember my wife doing that when we were at UNI. Is this not a common thing?

McNeese75
December 19th, 2019, 10:53 AM

I've said it before on these topics...but...I played at a D3 where the assistant coaches were working for maybe 30k a year. There was no compliance staff. There was no budget for keeping athletes eligible. The coaches spent more time doing class checks than they did in the film room most days. We had compulsory study group two nights a week after practice for all freshman....supervised by the coaches. It wasn't dick around and extra film time. It was actual forced study group/work time.

The only way you could avoid going twice a week was to maintain a 3.1 GPA through your freshman year (or have had a 28 or higher ACT in high school with at least a 3.8 GPA). Then you got to go once a week your sophomore year (or your freshman year if you had the requirements met). Starting your junior year as long as you had a 3.0 GPA and were attending classes (class checks done by coaches and attendance reported by professors) you weren't required to go to study group. However, if you were below 3.0 (even 2.99) you were required to go to study group. For every class you were caught skipping was 2 weeks of study group.

It takes effort on the part of the coaches but it's not excusable to let it happen.

A D1 requirement is a compliance office. What is the compliance office doing? I know at UNI study groups are required as well. There are tutors retained by the athletic department. I remember my wife doing that when we were at UNI. Is this not a common thing?

It damn sure is now (or has been since the coaching change in 2018)

OhioHen
December 19th, 2019, 11:45 AM
There are tutors retained by the athletic department. I remember my wife doing that when we were at UNI. Is this not a common thing?

Back in the day, I was paid double the going rate for "normal" students when I tutored athletes, whether they were on scholarship or not.

FormerPokeCenter
December 19th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Our AD's not exactly a fan favorite. Former local athletic legend, who went on to a standout career at LSU, then got into various AD slots at North Carolina and Wyoming. Great Resume in a supporting role. Maybe an example of the Peter Principle with regard to his elevation to the top spot. Before he became the AD, he worked hard with the previous McNeese staff to help them bring the recent field house expansion and renovation to fruition. He got the job based as much on that effort as anything, plus he has some really great local connection to the very few well heeled donors that McNeese has.

I was excited about his hiring, as he's from the same small town that me, Doc, McNeese75, Geauxpokes and other posters are from. With his resume he should be the best AD in the SLC. I haven't been as excited about his tenure, though. I regret being as supportive as I was. Call it buyer's remorse.

He lobbied to get rid of Lance, and - given our current straits - I agree with the call. But, seriously, he needs to be held accountable for what happened as well, though I'm reasonably sure he'll say he delegated that to Lance. Yeah, Lance and staff had a profound duty to not let it get this far, but so does the AD.

If I were in charge, I woulda cleaned house. I'm outta the loop, so maybe there's a lot I don't know. But my perception is that the AD's been kinda horrible.

It should NEVER have gotten to this point. To me, it almost suggests a lack of institutional control.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2019, 02:24 PM

Here's the thing, many student-athletes at HBCUs graduate at a much higher percentage than their counterparts at the university. That's a can of worms I am not trying to open up here but that's something many posters here don't realize.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2019, 02:36 PM

I agree! This is a result of institutional failure from the top down.

McNeese75
December 19th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Here's the thing, many student-athletes at HBCUs graduate at a much higher percentage than their counterparts at the university. That's a can of worms I am not trying to open up here but that's something many posters here don't realize.

Then those overseeing athletic scholastic achievement are to be commended.

Bisonoline
December 19th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Here's a thought: Graduate your players. This might be a novel concept to some (not directed at anyone in particular), but college kids should actually get an education. Kids should go to college with the aim to graduate with a degree that will further their prospects in life. I just shake my head at institutions that allow kids who obviously don't know any better to be buttered up with all the wow and pizzazz of being a college athlete. Then as soon as they can't play anymore, they are cast aside. The fact that coaches are allowed (and sometimes encouraged) to steer and pressure kids toward easier majors that will do them little good in life, or only focus on gaining enough academic progress to remain eligible, disgusts me.

<End Rant>

You are forgetting that a whole bunch of kids arent going to get a degree. They are there to play football. So why not let them go to school learn something in the classroom and about life? Thats being realistic.

Some where along the line there will be a few who went to school to play football the light will go on and they will realize that school is important.

Bisonoline
December 19th, 2019, 03:12 PM

Thats true at many universities.

clenz
December 19th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Thats true at many universities.
I know it is at UNI.

I don't remember the exact numbers but UNI's student athletes have a higher GPA than the rest of the student body by something like .2 or .3 GPA points on average. It's something like 2.8 or 2.9 for the student body to like 3.0 or 3.1 for the athletic department. Something like 70% of UNI student athletes have a GPA over 3.0.

UNI APR scores
FB 970
MBB 985
MXC 1000
MGOLF 1000
MTF 980
WR 980
SB 988
WBB 1000
WXC 986
WGOLF 1000
WSOC 1000
WSD 1000
WTEN 1000
WTF 988
VB995

Perfect is 1000 - post season ban is like 930 multiple times.

JayJ79
December 19th, 2019, 07:38 PM

are you implying that the student athletes at those institutions should be held to a different standard just because of the color of their skin? That seems rather racist.

JayJ79
December 19th, 2019, 07:42 PM
random tangent question: does anyone know if graduate students factor into the APR or does it just look at undergrads?
For instance, if a player successfully achieved their undergraduate degree in their first 4 years (one of those being a redshirt year as far as athletic competition), then started into a grad program during their fifth year, but for some reason didn't complete the grad program, would that hurt the team's APR?

PAllen
December 19th, 2019, 11:38 PM
are you implying that the student athletes at those institutions should be held to a different standard just because of the color of their skin? That seems rather racist.

No it says more about the pathetic job many HBCUs do at actually educating and graduating their students.

PAllen
December 19th, 2019, 11:41 PM
You are forgetting that a whole bunch of kids arent going to get a degree. They are there to play football. So why not let them go to school learn something in the classroom and about life? Thats being realistic.

Some where along the line there will be a few who went to school to play football the light will go on and they will realize that school is important.

That is exactly the problem right there. If you want to play FB but don't want to or have no business attending college classes, then you don't belong in college. Go find a semipro league and have at it.

OhioHen
December 20th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Which is why the APR as currently constituted is a poor indicator of the academic success or failure by athletic departments. The same may be true at some other institutions, but can't be said for a majority of schools in the "major" sports at the D-I level.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 20th, 2019, 09:17 AM
No it says more about the pathetic job many HBCUs do at actually educating and graduating their students.

Yup. And when people call them out on it, they play the victim.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2019, 09:24 AM

No man. If anything, the APR ban is more often than not an administrative thing. You can have a high APR but not have players graduate. You can also do things to game your APR. For instance, APR only counts players actually under scholarship. One thing schools with way bigger budgets do is funnel their football and basketball players to majors and classes where all they have to do is show up half of the time to pass. The APR really does nothing else but make schools with already stretched budgets to be stretched further. There's a reason why the NCAA has a fund for resource-limited schools to help them pay for compliance and APR-related things.

And if you want to really look at things equally, look at the graduation rates for African-American students across all universities, PWI and HBCU, and you'll see some surprising numbers.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2019, 09:26 AM
random tangent question: does anyone know if graduate students factor into the APR or does it just look at undergrads?
For instance, if a player successfully achieved their undergraduate degree in their first 4 years (one of those being a redshirt year as far as athletic competition), then started into a grad program during their fifth year, but for some reason didn't complete the grad program, would that hurt the team's APR?

There's a Graduation Success Rate that measures this. APR strictly measures whether or not a student-athlete is enrolled, eligible and simply passing their classes. It doesn't care about what major or grades they have.

mvfcfan
December 20th, 2019, 09:27 AM
A big problem is that D1 athletics is basically a business. AD's and coaches are under a lot of pressure to put out winning teams. If McNeese State was a big school they would have just "fixed" their grades and never had this issue. Same with the HBCU's. I find it hilarious how many smaller schools self report violations that the NCAA would have never discovered otherwise. The only time the happens at the P5 level is if they did something awful (like Penn St or Louisville BB) and they are hoping to avoid serious sanctions. When is the last time you heard of a P5 school put on probation for low APR? Maybe it happens more often than I know of, but it seems to be a mid/low major problem.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2019, 09:30 AM
A big problem is that D1 athletics is basically a business. AD's and coaches are under a lot of pressure to put out winning teams. If McNeese State was a big school they would have just "fixed" their grades and never had this issue. Same with the HBCU's. I find it hilarious how many smaller schools self report violations that the NCAA would have never discovered otherwise. The only time the happens at the P5 level is if they did something awful (like Penn St or Louisville BB) and they are hoping to avoid serious sanctions. When is the last time you heard of a P5 school put on probation for low APR? Maybe it happens more often than I know of, but it seems to be a mid/low major problem.

It hardly ever happens. The P5 and even G5 have fail safes in place to prevent this from happening. Smaller schools with smaller budgets have less of this. And also, D-2 and D-3 don't have to deal with APR.

mvfcfan
December 20th, 2019, 09:45 AM
I just wish they would get rid of APR all together. Programs like Duke, NC, and Kentucky are well known in basketball for having players 1-2 years before going pro. They aren't there to get an education. However low majors get treated differently just because their players don't go pro. You know those 3 programs I listed change grades and/or their players are taking the easiest BS classes at those schools. The NCAA only cares about money. The education part is just something they have to try to pretend to care about. The majority of the sports world would be pi**ed if Kentucky was on APR sanctions. No one bats an eye if SEMO is on it.

To be fair the NCAA has kind of ruined sports for me. I follow the MV(F)C and OVC and block the rest of it out for the most part. It is all rigged for the big programs with money.

cx500d
December 20th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I just wish they would get rid of APR all together. Programs like Duke, NC, and Kentucky are well known in basketball for having players 1-2 years before going pro. They aren't there to get an education. However low majors get treated differently just because their players don't go pro. You know those 3 programs I listed change grades and/or their players are taking the easiest BS classes at those schools. The NCAA only cares about money. The education part is just something they have to try to pretend to care about. The majority of the sports world would be pi**ed if Kentucky was on APR sanctions. No one bats an eye if SEMO is on it.

To be fair the NCAA has kind of ruined sports for me. I follow the MV(F)C and OVC and block the rest of it out for the most part. It is all rigged for the big programs with money.
Hell, in NC they just hire people to do all the class work for bb players

JayJ79
December 20th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Hell, in NC they just hire people to do all the class work for bb players

job creation! Good for the economy!

Hood
December 21st, 2019, 04:24 AM
McNeese is going to average 60 points a game, aren't they?

caribbeanhen
December 21st, 2019, 05:16 AM

because common sense had been replaced with hot air, just read the thread ....

Redbird 4th & short
December 21st, 2019, 09:57 AM
to me, its like law enforcement .. just because it is hard to properly enforce laws everywhere, does not mean you don't try to do so.

I like APR because it is trying to do something to ensure athletes and their sports programs are recruiting kids who are likely to meet the academic demands of their school .. whether it is reputuable or not. You can't hold the individual athlete responsible for a school who has weak academics .. that is not the athletes fault. These APR minimum requirements help raise the bar relative to each school and means the athlete has mroe required of him academically than a typical student at that same school. This makes it a good thing. And if there are schools that try to cheat this, that is unfortunate .. but that does not mean it is not worth trying to measure APR and hold programs responsible. Some will fall thru crack and get away with cheating. All the more reason to keep trying to enforce on some level.

Reign of Terrier
December 21st, 2019, 10:08 PM
So the next time McNeese wins a playoff game, their freshmen will likely not have been alive when they won't their last one, in 2002

BEAR
December 22nd, 2019, 11:08 AM

Hang 60? xlolx

McNeese75
December 22nd, 2019, 09:13 PM

xrolleyesx WTF are you talking about??

Hood
December 22nd, 2019, 10:36 PM
Revenge points. It's what good teams do when they're penalized. Gives them incentive to drub their opponents regardless of sanctions.

McNeese72
December 23rd, 2019, 08:28 AM
Revenge points. It's what good teams do when they're penalized. Gives them incentive to drub their opponents regardless of sanctions.

We better find some offensive linemen to be able to do that with this system.

Doc

McNeese75
December 23rd, 2019, 08:51 AM

xthumbsupx I doubt it but thanks for the thought xlolx

Hood
December 31st, 2019, 04:14 AM
I remember the 63 points y'all dropped on us my last game as a student in 2003. I will forever associate McNeese with drubbings.

Mfergy4
December 31st, 2019, 04:16 PM

Interesting thought....NDSU grad rates are in upper 80's to lower 90's percentile...this class of 14 seniors, 13 received their diplomas this past December. Just remember most of these kids playing will not see a playing field again after college. That education will be their bank roll for the future.

clenz
January 2nd, 2020, 09:18 AM
FCS football has the lowest graduation rate in all D1 sports, FWIW.

https://i.imgur.com/rn3Xsy9.png

clenz
January 2nd, 2020, 09:24 AM
Interesting thought....NDSU grad rates are in upper 80's to lower 90's percentile...this class of 14 seniors, 13 received their diplomas this past December. Just remember most of these kids playing will not see a playing field again after college. That education will be their bank roll for the future.
The most recent GSR numbers has NDSU at 70% and in the bottom 3 of the MVFC a head of only ISUb and MSU. NDSU's numbers dropped pretty hard once they hit their D1 transition and continued through their first few years of being D1.

However, even the most recent numbers aren't super recent in terms of what cohort it's looking at. For this years freshman class we won't have the numbers until 2026

POD Knows
January 2nd, 2020, 09:52 AM
The most recent GSR numbers has NDSU at 70% and in the bottom 3 of the MVFC a head of only ISUb and MSU. NDSU's numbers dropped pretty hard once they hit their D1 transition and continued through their first few years of being D1.

However, even the most recent numbers aren't super recent in terms of what cohort it's looking at. For this years freshman class we won't have the numbers until 2026Link to data

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/gsrsearch