PDA

View Full Version : Would a MU-MSU Final be a disaster for FCS football interest?

Sader87
December 13th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Jumping the gun, and probably a bit far-fetched, but would a final pitting the 2 schools from Montana hurt the FCS in terms of recognition, interest etc.?

Nothing against the Montana schools...kudos to them both for this being a possibility....I'd pose the same question if it was North Dakota-NDSU, Furman-Citadel, Southern Ill.-Illinois St etc

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 01:25 PM
No

JayJ79
December 13th, 2019, 01:32 PM
the truth is that no one that isn't already a fan of FCS is going to magically become a fan just because a certain team is playing in the championship game.
most general fans aren't going to care about the FCS championship game no matter who is playing in it.
some football fans might tune in if its the only game on at that time and/or they happen to flip over to it, but they aren't going to particularly care who is in it.

About the only effect will be how many other FCS fans (of other teams) will be tuning in. I suppose having two teams from the same conference might hurt the ratings some as you won't get as many casual fans tuning in to see how their conference-mate does. (for instance, if it was a JMU/NDSU final, you might get some casual fans of other MVFC teams as well as casual fans of other CAA teams. but a UM/MSU would only draw casual fans from other Big Sky teams). And even then, I don't know how big of a factor that would make, as many of those might tune into the championship game anyway.

so TLDR: I don't think it would make that much difference

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Why would it?

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Monmouth is already out.

Preferred Walk-On
December 13th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I have tickets, that would be an awesome matchup, and I would be going to that game. However, I am hoping it does not work out that way. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silenoz
December 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM
What interest?

PAllen
December 13th, 2019, 01:59 PM
the truth is that no one that isn't already a fan of FCS is going to magically become a fan just because a certain team is playing in the championship game.
most general fans aren't going to care about the FCS championship game no matter who is playing in it.
some football fans might tune in if its the only game on at that time and/or they happen to flip over to it, but they aren't going to particularly care who is in it.

About the only effect will be how many other FCS fans (of other teams) will be tuning in. I suppose having two teams from the same conference might hurt the ratings some as you won't get as many casual fans tuning in to see how their conference-mate does. (for instance, if it was a JMU/NDSU final, you might get some casual fans of other MVFC teams as well as casual fans of other CAA teams. but a UM/MSU would only draw casual fans from other Big Sky teams). And even then, I don't know how big of a factor that would make, as many of those might tune into the championship game anyway.

so TLDR: I don't think it would make that much difference

This. If anything, it might help to ensure that the stadium is full and the casual channel flipper won't just flip by yet another post season game in an empty stadium.

wapiti
December 13th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Which school is MU???

Sader87
December 13th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Which school is MU???

Apologies...I'm assuming it's known as "UM" out there? My bad. We get a lot of "Holy Cross University" in Worchester, MA if it's any consolation xdrunkyx

cx500d
December 13th, 2019, 02:16 PM
The probability of that happening is almost as high as Delaware beating Villanova.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 03:13 PM
No. Because no one outside of FCS fans are going to care much about the game. Regular football fans who simply like college football, will watch it.

I think the people who will be concerned, are the people in Frisco, TX.

Say for example, if Austin Peay shocks the world, and pull off the Montana St & NDSU daily double victory to get to the championship game. I truly don't know how many people from Clarksville is going to travel to the Dallas suburbs to see that game. Attendance could take a major it if it's anyone but NDSU in the title game. The last time NDSU wasn't in the title game, they didn't even draw 15,000 in the stands.

Your basic football junkies will still watch an FCS title game, regardless of the opponent, simply because it's a football game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 03:19 PM
No.

I'm hoping for a NDSU/Montana final. Egriz would implode with the amount of tickets (besides the schools allotment) unavailable for Griz fans....:D

floridagriz15
December 13th, 2019, 03:30 PM
No. Because no one outside of FCS fans are going to care much about the game. Regular football fans who simply like college football, will watch it.

Say for example, if Austin Peay shocks the world, and pull off the Montana St & NDSU daily double victory to get to the championship game. I truly don't know how many people from Clarksville is going to travel to the Dallas suburbs to see that game. Attendance could take a major it if it's anyone but NDSU in the title game. The last time NDSU wasn't in the title game, they didn't even draw 15,000 in the stands.

Your basic football junkies will still watch an FCS title game, regardless of the opponent, simply because it's a football game.

The thing is tho UM and MSU fans actually travel in good number and if Brawl of the Wild 2.0 happened in Frisco you sure as hell would see droves of Montanans in Frisco.

Bisonoline
December 13th, 2019, 03:32 PM
No

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2019, 03:42 PM
The only final that I didnt miss any of was the NDSU-ISUr

jadmt
December 13th, 2019, 03:55 PM
No.

I'm hoping for a NDSU/Montana final. Egriz would implode with the amount of tickets (besides the schools allotment) unavailable for Griz fans....:D
I am sure some wise Montana fans would be able to trade a hot dish or two in exchange for some tickets.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2019, 03:57 PM
nope, It wont matter much what teams are in the Finals, just not that many people care about FCS football

Today I asked a co-worker who was looking at the upcoming Bowl game sked if he was watching any of the games tonight and he said ..... only game left is Army Navy.... I told him about the FCS playoff games........ blank stare

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2019, 03:58 PM
nope, It wont matter much what teams are in the Finals, just not that many people care about FCS football

Today I asked a co-worker who was looking at the upcoming Bowl game sked if he was watching any of the games tonight and he said ..... only game left is Army Navy.... I told him about the FCS playoff games........ blank stare
His loss.

caribbeanhen
December 13th, 2019, 03:58 PM
The probability of that happening is almost as high as Delaware beating Villanova.

We get our chance tomorrow...... Delaware is becoming a basketball school now.... haha

JacksFan40
December 13th, 2019, 04:02 PM
No it wouldn’t hurt the FCS. Nobody outside of the FCS cares who’s in the title game unless it’s NDSU.

Preferred Walk-On
December 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I am sure some wise Montana fans would be able to trade a hot dish or two in exchange for some tickets.

Completely agree that the above and a couple of hundred dollars/ticket would get those wise Montana fans some tickets. :D

BadlandsGrizFan
December 13th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Dude it would be the opposite of that....that title game would have more fans show up than theyve ever gotten before......the Frisco jail would also probably need to make some room.

It would be easily the most intense championship game the FCS has experienced......do some research on the rivalry a bit man.

Biggest issue would be making the Bison ticket holders easily enter the nations 1% club with the amount of tickets those clowns snatch up!

Preferred Walk-On
December 13th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Dude it would be the opposite of that....that title game would have more fans show up than theyve ever gotten before......the Frisco jail would also probably need to make some room.

It would be easily the most intense championship game the FCS has experienced......do some research on the rivalry a bit man.

Biggest issue would be making the Bison ticket holders easily enter the nations 1% club with the amount of tickets those clowns snatch up!

Hey now, please refrain from name calling. xlolx

IIRC, everyone had an opportunity to purchase tickets in August. If North Dakota has the Internet, I'm sure that Montana has the Internet, right...right? xdontknowx

I think some JMU fans also have a few tickets as well, so might need to come up with a hot dish alternative. xdrunkyx

cx500d
December 13th, 2019, 04:27 PM

My guess is more people than came from Towson

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2019, 04:27 PM
No.

You don't want that!
We will bust out the torches and pitchforks, invade North Dakota, pillaging and taking tickets where ever we go

uni88
December 13th, 2019, 04:38 PM
You don't want that!
We will bust out the torches and pitchforks, invade North Dakota, pillaging and taking tickets where ever we go

Will it be like a scene out of a Mad Max movie?

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2019, 04:49 PM

You get it. You can picture it already.

No Daks be warned!

floridagriz15
December 13th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Similar to the Dakota Pipeline protest, except instead of Police with rubber bullets, you’d have Montanans with Shotguns, Flamethrowers, and Pitchforks coming after those Bison tickets. 😂

Silenoz
December 13th, 2019, 04:57 PM
You don't want that!
Us Bozemanites will provide the gluten-free snacks and organic free-trade macchiatos

semobison
December 13th, 2019, 05:10 PM
No.

We agree on this. Bison Griz would be epic!

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 05:13 PM
The biggest loser in your scenario would be ESPN. Getting 90% of the Montana market isn't really a goal of theirs. For that reason, I'm sure, they have arranged with the refs to make sure it doesn't happen.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2019, 05:19 PM
The biggest loser in your scenario would be ESPN. Getting 90% of the Montana market isn't really a goal of theirs. For that reason, I'm sure, they have arranged with the refs to make sure it doesn't happen.
There are tens of thousands of us!

...I mean, most of those people are probably, like, tending cows, or skiing, or getting high somewhere, but that still leaves some of us to watch a football game!

catbob
December 13th, 2019, 05:25 PM
The stadium would be packed and raucous, and would look and sound great on TV.

The biggest disaster for the FCS is when two teams with hardly any fan support make the chipper and the stadium is half full. Like Weber vs Illinois State, who on top of not having big fan bases, would be an extremely boring game to watch as a casual fan.

Lorne_Malvo
December 14th, 2019, 12:08 AM
Neither Montana school makes it past this weekend.

Grizzlies82
December 14th, 2019, 12:14 AM
Neither Montana school makes it past this weekend.

You missed that prediction

Still Weber made sure the world was saved from disaster