PDA

View Full Version : NC State QB Matt McKay transfers to Montana State

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 12:07 PM
My first thread started, so bear with me.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-football-lands-commitment-from-n-c-state-qb/article_466ca0ad-4616-59dc-a83c-65b1ba729d0f.html (https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-football-lands-commitment-from-n-c-state-qb/article_466ca0ad-4616-59dc-a83c-65b1ba729d0f.html)

MSU is collecting QB's like sports cards (not shocking, given our struggles at the position the last couple years). Adding McKay brings the 2020 roster to SEVEN QB's not even including Troy. List of the 7 sorted by next year's class:

Matt McKay R-Jr. (transfer)
Tucker Rovig Jr. (current starting QB)
Casey Bauman R-Soph. (lost starting job during the start of the year)
Ruben Beltran R-Soph.
Blake Thelen Soph.
John Knight Soph.
Tommy Mellott Incoming Freshman (MT Gatorade Player of the Year)

Gotta assume someone is going to transfer out or switch to another position, a la Travis Jonsen, with a crowded roster like that. I'd also think some redshirts will be handed out to 1 or more of the 3 youngest.

catbob
December 12th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Knowing Choate, this wouldn't surprise me: xlolx

Matt McKay R-Jr. - QB
Tucker Rovig Jr. - QB
Casey Bauman R-Soph. - TE
Ruben Beltran R-Soph. - Transfer
Blake Thelen Soph. - QB
John Knight Soph. - S
Tommy Mellott Incoming Freshman (MT Gatorade Player of the Year) - S

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Interesting considering that Rovig has come on strong in the latter part of the year if I'm not mistaken. The timing is what it is but I wonder if there's a distraction factor for him having this news come out the day before the biggest game of his career.

Assuming Montana St makes the semis or goes further it would seem kind of unlikely that Rovig is supplanted no? Considering that would be the farthest they've made it in the playoffs since their national championship season in 1984.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Knowing Choate, this wouldn't surprise me: xlolx

Matt McKay R-Jr. - QB
Tucker Rovig Jr. - QB
Casey Bauman R-Soph. - TE
Ruben Beltran R-Soph. - Transfer
Blake Thelen Soph. - QB
John Knight Soph. - S
Tommy Mellott Incoming Freshman (MT Gatorade Player of the Year) - S

Choate does Choate things, no doubt. Bauman has the size for TE. I'm kinda curious why, in none of the recent blowout especially SUU or UNC, did Beltran not get any game time? He's in his 2nd year with the program, had decent pedigree coming in leading his HS to a 5A state championship as a senior, the games were well in hand, and clearly the QB position isn't "locked down" by any particular person. My only assumption is that, from what the coaches have seen in practice, no way, no how is Beltran ever going to see the field as a QB, so your transfer guess is probably pretty spot on.

Herder
December 12th, 2019, 12:40 PM
With that many, they’ll be leaving as fast as they came.

QB Number protocol:
2- Crisis, get the wildcat ready
3 - Lean, better do some recruiting.
4 - Right Sized for a season.
5 - Room is OK, redshirting and learning.
6 - someone’s shopping, likely 2 or 3
7- Crisis, Lots of provayers of the Portal, youre a terrible recruiter.
8 - Your starter is terrible and will be a WR by next year. and you should fire QB coach.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2019, 12:42 PM
The first team to ever line up with 5 QB's and then run the wildcat with their stud linebacker. xlolx

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Interesting considering that Rovig has come on strong in the latter part of the year if I'm not mistaken. The timing is what it is but I wonder if there's a distraction factor for him having this news come out the day before the biggest game of his career.

Assuming Montana St makes the semis or goes further it would seem kind of unlikely that Rovig is supplanted no? Considering that would be the farthest they've made it in the playoffs since their national championship season in 1984.

I don't think Rovig will lose the job, but obviously that will be decided next spring/fall after head-to-head competition. Honestly, McKay has very Rovig-esque numbers. He started the first 5 games of the year and went 86 of 150 (57.3%) for 910 yards (182 yards/start) with 3 TD and 1 INT. Yes, that's in the P5 ACC, but the games he started in weren't exactly world-beaters in 4-8 ECU, 3-9 WCU, 5-7 WVU and 5-7 Ball State before getting yanked in the 1st quarter against FSU.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 12:47 PM
The first team to ever line up with 5 QB's and then run the wildcat with their stud linebacker. xlolx

xlolx OOORRRRR, line up your Oregon QB-transfer-turned-WR to run the offense from...... the wildcat. xrotatehx

AgentL
December 12th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Did something happen with the recruitment of Grady Robinson? Noticed he was not on the list, or is this because he has not officially committed?

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Did something happen with the recruitment of Grady Robinson? Noticed he was not on the list, or is this because he has not officially committed?

I must have missed this announcement. Looks like he DID commit to MSU, but his twitter page is confusing. The profile pic (or whatever, I don't Twit) is a guy in an MSU uniform, but on Nov. 25th he said, "Excited to receive an opportunity to continue my football and academic career at my hometown school! #GoDawgs @bushhamdan". A few days prior, he announced he received an offer from WKU also. My guess is he's not coming.

AgentL
December 12th, 2019, 01:49 PM
I must have missed this announcement. Looks like he DID commit to MSU, but his twitter page is confusing. The profile pic (or whatever, I don't Twit) is a guy in an MSU uniform, but on Nov. 25th he said, "Excited to receive an opportunity to continue my football and academic career at my hometown school! #GoDawgs @bushhamdan". A few days prior, he announced he received an offer from WKU also. My guess is he's not coming.

Hard to turn down that offer. Would love if we landed him! Signing day couldn’t come soon enough, but for now I suppose I can hold my Peay and watch the Cats take care of business tomorrow.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Hard to turn down that offer. Would love if we landed him! Signing day couldn’t come soon enough, but for now I suppose I can hold my Peay and watch the Cats take care of business tomorrow.

Yeah, he looks like a solid player. Kinda surprising to see only MSU, CWU and UNC had offered prior to the new November offers (per 247sports, anyway).

Derby City Duke
December 12th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Brian Schor replaced Vad Lee in the latter stages of the 2015 season at JMU. Just after the season Connor Mitch transferred in from South Carolina. A number of folks assumed that Mitch would easily win the starting job given his SEC pedigree, but a funny thing happened. The light bulb went on for Schor, he worked his @$$ off during the off-season and won the starting job. Mitch saw the field like 2x in mop up duty and ended up leaving the program. Schor went on to lead the Dukes to 2 title games, winning one, and is on the short list for best quarterback in JMU history.

JMU_71
December 12th, 2019, 03:33 PM
I'm a JMU fan first and foremost, but I'm also a lifelong Wolfpack fan. I can tell you some things about Matt McKay. He's a great kid off the field and a great teammate. He's a QB that makes really good decisions during the game. His problem is that he cannot throw accurately down field. He's a decent running QB, but not great.

cats2506
December 12th, 2019, 03:59 PM
the UW offer was a PWO, and he was still heading our way after that, I don't know about the WKU offer and if it may have changed his mind.

MTfan4life
December 12th, 2019, 04:06 PM

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-football-lands-commitment-from-n-c-state-qb/article_466ca0ad-4616-59dc-a83c-65b1ba729d0f.html (https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-football-lands-commitment-from-n-c-state-qb/article_466ca0ad-4616-59dc-a83c-65b1ba729d0f.html)

MSU is collecting QB's like sports cards (not shocking, given our struggles at the position the last couple years). Adding McKay brings the 2020 roster to SEVEN QB's not even including Troy. List of the 7 sorted by next year's class:

Ruben Beltran R-Soph.
Blake Thelen Soph.
John Knight Soph.

Gotta assume someone is going to transfer out or switch to another position, a la Travis Jonsen, with a crowded roster like that. I'd also think some redshirts will be handed out to 1 or more of the 3 youngest.

The Griz'll gladly take Mellott off your hands if you feel that quarterback room is getting pretty crowded.

Also, so will Bauman be at Tech or Central Washington next season?

BadlandsGrizFan
December 12th, 2019, 04:10 PM

Ruben Beltran R-Soph.
Blake Thelen Soph.
John Knight Soph.

1 out of 7 has got to be good...right......right?

BadlandsGrizFan
December 12th, 2019, 04:12 PM

Rovig hasnt really played good despite what most Cat fans may tell you.....his playing good is really just dont f the game up for us.

He did throw for a lot of yards against Albany...but right now..Rovig is not going to go out and put a team on his back and win it for them.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 12th, 2019, 04:15 PM
The Griz'll gladly take Mellott off your hands if you feel that quarterback room is getting pretty crowded.

We already got the best QB in the state coming from Hamilton in Rostad

cats2506
December 12th, 2019, 04:15 PM
if you throw enough ***** at the wall, something is gonna stick

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 04:43 PM

xchinscratchx xdontknowx xprayxxprayxxprayx

BadlandsGrizFan
December 12th, 2019, 04:58 PM
if you throw enough ***** at the wall, something is gonna stick

No way it doesnt work!xdrunkyx

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2019, 05:10 PM

I have a son at MSU who heard Bauman flipping ***** at an NAIA quarterback who was visiting campus.

Karma is a bitch. Now Casey will almost certainly be hoping for a shot in the Frontier conference next year. FYI, Tech has a good QB, Bauman may have try a shot up at Northern.

Panther88
December 12th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Powerhouse Montana State football is offering my lil' very big 2nd level cousin. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2019, 05:22 PM

Professor, Rovig "has come on strong" compared to where he began the year. Relatively speaking he is doing great. Though objectively he is still about #12 out of the 13 starting QB's in the Big Sky conference. He just had his best game ever. In it he under threw two long 50/50 balls which became touchdowns and added 100+ yards to his total. He has potential but he got lucky on those and can't always count on luck.

I am not hating on the kid. Through most of the season he has taken huge abuse on the Bobcat website. Won't pile on here. Wish him well but he needs plenty of improvement if there is any real competition next year. Making the semi-finals will help his cause but consistently throwing strikes is what he needs.

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Powerhouse Montana State football is offering my lil' very big 2nd level cousin. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Panther88, are you talking about McKay or are they seeking QB #10 for their roster?

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 05:50 PM
We already got the best QB in the state coming from Hamilton in Rostad

Rostad is a good recruit, no doubt. Winning POY from a smaller school (Class A) is impressive. Winning POY as a junior is impressive. And he had a solid senior year. Not sure he's the best QB in the state though. This year's stats, per Max Prep, with the better stat highlighted:

Rostad - 192 of 317 (60.6%) for 2,387 yards (12.4 YPA), 35 TD, 9 INT; 117 carries for 892 yards (7.6 ypc), 11 TD; 3,279 total yards, 46 total TD; Passing per game: 238.7 yds, 3.5 TD, .9 INT; Rushing per game: 89.2 yds, 1.1 TD
Mellott - 191 of 300 (63.7%) for 2,940 yards (15.4 YPA), 30 TD, 4 INT; 162 carries for 1,217 yards (7.5 ypc), 16 TD; 4,157 total yards, 46 total TD; Passing per game: 245 ypg, 2.5 TD, .33 INT; Rushing per game: 101.4 yds, 1.33 TD

Mellott had a better completion percentage, more total passing yards and passing ypg, more yards per attempt, less than half as many picks in 2 more games, more total rushing yards and rushing ypg (tho 0.1 ypc less) more rushing TD. And of course, Mellott accumulated these better numbers in Class AA while Rostad accomplished his against the smaller Class A schools. Rostad did have a MUCH better junior campaign than Mellott, no doubt. However, one regressed from last year to this year and one made huge improvements, so until we see if they continue to improve against FCS competition, it's hard to say one is better than the other. I tend to be more of a "what have you done for me lately" kind of assessor so I prefer Mellott at this time.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Tell him no one watches FCS football so don't bother, right? xsmiley_wix Just kidding. If he feels it's a good fit, I look forward to having him as a Bobcat.

MTfan4life
December 12th, 2019, 08:29 PM
Rostad is a good recruit, no doubt. Winning POY from a smaller school (Class A) is impressive. Winning POY as a junior is impressive. And he had a solid senior year. Not sure he's the best QB in the state though. This year's stats, per Max Prep, with the better stat highlighted:

Rostad - 192 of 317 (60.6%) for 2,387 yards (12.4 YPA), 35 TD, 9 INT; 117 carries for 892 yards (7.6 ypc), 11 TD; 3,279 total yards, 46 total TD; Passing per game: 238.7 yds, 3.5 TD, .9 INT; Rushing per game: 89.2 yds, 1.1 TD
Mellott - 191 of 300 (63.7%) for 2,940 yards (15.4 YPA), 30 TD, 4 INT; 162 carries for 1,217 yards (7.5 ypc), 16 TD; 4,157 total yards, 46 total TD; Passing per game: 245 ypg, 2.5 TD, .33 INT; Rushing per game: 101.4 yds, 1.33 TD

Mellott had a better completion percentage, more total passing yards and passing ypg, more yards per attempt, less than half as many picks in 2 more games, more total rushing yards and rushing ypg (tho 0.1 ypc less) more rushing TD. And of course, Mellott accumulated these better numbers in Class AA while Rostad accomplished his against the smaller Class A schools. Rostad did have a MUCH better junior campaign than Mellott, no doubt. However, one regressed from last year to this year and one made huge improvements, so until we see if they continue to improve against FCS competition, it's hard to say one is better than the other. I tend to be more of a "what have you done for me lately" kind of assessor so I prefer Mellott at this time.

He really only regressed because all the other talent in Hamilton graduated the year before. I'd always prefer a AA QB over an A, but I'd still happily take them both.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 09:52 PM
He really only regressed because all the other talent in Hamilton graduated the year before. I'd always prefer a AA QB over an A, but I'd still happily take them both.

No disagreement there. He regressed statistically but part of that was that his junior numbers were pretty video game-ish. His senior numbers are nothing to scoff at either.

Panther88
December 13th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Panther88, are you talking about McKay or are they seeking QB #10 for their roster?

WR. Has a LOT of upside and growth, considering.

Panther88
December 13th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Tell him no one watches FCS football so don't bother, right? xsmiley_wix Just kidding. If he feels it's a good fit, I look forward to having him as a Bobcat.

We'll see how it goes.

MSUBobcat
December 13th, 2019, 10:43 AM
We'll see how it goes.

xthumbsupx I don't know how he feels about snow, but the Bozeman area, and MT in general, is beautiful. Tons of outdoor activities all year round.

catbob
December 13th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Rovig's stats since November (6 games)

71/106 6 TDs 1 INT 872 yards 65% completion 145.48 QB Efficiency. He's also been sacked just 5 times.

Not going to blow your socks off but that's how you win football games in November. Efficient, don't turn the ball over, complete 65% of your passes. You also have to realize he's only taking probably 65-75% of the snaps.

Panther88
December 13th, 2019, 01:27 PM
xthumbsupx I don't know how he feels about snow, but the Bozeman area, and MT in general, is beautiful. Tons of outdoor activities all year round.

His father is a truck driver so he was privy to make a few trips in that area as youth during certain summers. He was very enthused by the offer and naturally, I helped him understand the level of FCS play and support upper-tier MontSU is situated in.

Pulling for you guys vs Austin Peay.