PDA

View Full Version : RMU Hoopster Quits to Play O-Line

rmutv
May 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
In his final season as men's basketball head coach, Mark Schmidt brought it a beast of a man named Aaron Agnew to play center for the basketball team. Agnew stands at 6'10, 360 pounds. Unfortunately, he didn't play because of several injuries, but still has eligibility.

Now he's quit the basketball team.

He's been working out with the football team and will be given a shot to win a spot on the offensive line in training camp.

That'd be a very large offensive lineman right there.

Now the question is this: Is he the biggest lineman in FCS? Or in College football, period?

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
I would guess yes. Definitely the tallest. Might be too tall to get low on guys?

DetroitFlyer
May 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Did he play football in high school? With that kind of size, I would think so.... I think the largest defensive lineman we have at Dayton goes about 6' 3" / 250 lbs. This guy could present quite a challenge on September 1, 2007 in Moon Township if he has any skills! I'm hoping that he is very slow and inexperienced!

OB55
May 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hard to imagine that he is slow, since basketball takes quick feet. But if injuries were a problem in basketball, why would football be any better. Unless they are very thin in the O-line, because of the lack of experience learning the schemes and making technique a habit, he is headed for the pine.

PeacockRaider
May 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Mark Curry of Saint Peter's did this a few years back, I believe 2004. He received permission from the basketball coach. He won a starting job on the o-line and was successfull, I believe ALL-Maac. However he was 6-5 270 with hs experience

andy7171
May 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Towson has a two sport (football/basketball) player that transfered in last year. He's a 6-9 210 power forward that is going to make some noise in the endzone this year. He sat out last football season and has 2 years left in both sports. He reportedly ran a 4.4 in spring practices.

6-10 360 is enormous. It all depends on how he can move his feet. If he can get his hands on you and lock out, good friggin luck getting around him!

rmutv
May 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Apparently he's never played football before.

He played basketball as a freshman at Iowa State, didn't like the environment, played at a community college two years ago, and then transferred to RMU and didn't play because of injuries.

Apparently the injury bug hit him last year but hasn't been a major issue before.

I can't evaluate his feet movement because I never really saw him play last year, since he was hurt early in camp and then didn't play the entire season.

But he is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig dude!

Franks Tanks
May 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Apparently he's never played football before.

He played basketball as a freshman at Iowa State, didn't like the environment, played at a community college two years ago, and then transferred to RMU and didn't play because of injuries.

Apparently the injury bug hit him last year but hasn't been a major issue before.

I can't evaluate his feet movement because I never really saw him play last year, since he was hurt early in camp and then didn't play the entire season.

But he is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig dude!

I suspect some of that 360 is being bloated as if he was injured he probably wasnt working out so much. He could easily lose 40 pounds as he gets back into the groove. I played against Bryant Mckinney before his Miami Hurrincane and Vikings days and he was absolutely enormous and raw. His footwork was poor and he wasnt that agressive at that time, but if he got in front of you their was nowhere to go. I suspect this kid will be similar.

BobbyMo
May 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
well it cant hurt thats for sure. Lets hope he works out. I am pumped to see if he can play.

rmutv
May 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I suspect some of that 360 is being bloated as if he was injured he probably wasnt working out so much. He could easily lose 40 pounds as he gets back into the groove. I played against Bryant Mckinney before his Miami Hurrincane and Vikings days and he was absolutely enormous and raw. His footwork was poor and he wasnt that agressive at that time, but if he got in front of you their was nowhere to go. I suspect this kid will be similar.

Well, he came in at 350/360...so he was that size before he was injured.

For that size, he's in decent shape. He doesn't look like Larry Allen did towards the end of his time with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Bryant McKinney comparison is pretty accurate, and in the NEC, pure size mixed with power, will help compensate for technical deficincies. It's not everything, but if he can move fast enough laterally to wrap an arm out to slow down some of the smaller, faster defensive linemen, then he'll be just fine.

gvilleapp
May 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
In his final season as men's basketball head coach, Mark Schmidt brought it a beast of a man named Aaron Agnew to play center for the basketball team. Agnew stands at 6'10, 360 pounds. Unfortunately, he didn't play because of several injuries, but still has eligibility.

Now he's quit the basketball team.

He's been working out with the football team and will be given a shot to win a spot on the offensive line in training camp.

That'd be a very large offensive lineman right there.

Now the question is this: Is he the biggest lineman in FCS? Or in College football, period?

If he has never played football, I'd have a hard time believing that he would be much help as an offensive lineman. OL and Quarterback require a lot of thinking and adjustments at the LOS, and it would be difficult for someone to pick that skill up in one year.

If he is aggressive, I could maybe see this guy play DT, but even at that size if he doesn't get low he will get blown out.

Gater
May 25th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Why wouldn't you just put this guy in at tight end, or even better split him out and throw him jump balls on the goal line and when you have 3rd and 3?

downbythebeach
May 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Isn't there an olineman from the Pats who was a wrestler in college, but was big and strong enough he made it in the NFL?

Franks Tanks
May 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Isn't there an olineman from the Pats who was a wrestler in college, but was big and strong enough he made it in the NFL?

Playing offensive line and football is more that just being big and strong (although that of course helps a lot) You have to get accustomed to hitting and being hit, and ive seen a lot of otherwise tough guys who were unable to do this. And also learning the varied and complicated techniques of playing football. Dan Neal I believe was a national champion wrestler , and he he obviosuly a great athlete and switched to gootball. But just being big or strong or fast doesnt necessarily make a good FB player

Seawolf97
May 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
If he has skills or can develop them between now and September he could be a dominant force in the NEC.