PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Finalists Announced

Derby City Duke
December 10th, 2019, 02:23 PM
The 3 finalists for the 2019 Buchanan award are:

Ron'Dell Carter, DE, James Madison

Sully Laiche, DL, Nicholls

Dante Olson, LB, Montana

This is the brief article from the JMU rivals site. Carter's teammate John Daka finished 7th in the voting

https://jamesmadison.n.rivals.com/news/jmu-s-carter-voted-buchanan-finalist

wapiti
December 10th, 2019, 02:51 PM
I think Dante is the favorite.

BEAR
December 11th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I think Sully is the favorite.

UNHWildcat18
December 11th, 2019, 07:50 AM
I think Ron'Dell is the favorite.

Herdistheword
December 11th, 2019, 08:11 AM
I could make an argument for anyone of them. All three are playmakers on good teams. I personally think it is time for Olson to bring home the hardware, but I would not be upset with any of these guys. This is a much better selection than the Payton award.

wapiti
December 11th, 2019, 08:53 AM
I think Sully is the favorite.

I think Ron'Dell is the favorite.

xthumbsupx

F'N Hawks
December 11th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Did Jabril Cox have a really down year? Preseason he was supposed to be the odds on favorite for the Buchanan from what I remember reading.

Herdistheword
December 11th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Did Jabril Cox have a really down year? Preseason he was supposed to be the odds on favorite for the Buchanan from what I remember reading.

He missed one or two games and played in a new position that wasn’t really conducive to racking up stats. He was actually used to cover WR’s a lot. Dude is a freak.

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2019, 09:54 AM

He missed one or two games and played in a new position that wasn’t really conducive to racking up stats. He was actually used to cover WR’s a lot. Dude is a freak.
His numbers are down a bit (91 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 4 sacks, 4 INTs in 2018 to 70 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, and 1 INT this year)... he moved from WLB to SLB in an effort to keep him from covering the slot receiver and stay closer to the LOS but it didn't really work as, like Herdistheword said, he's spent a lot of time in pass coverage this year. I guarantee every offensive coordinator they've played has schemed to neutralize Cox just as much as any other Bison defender so he's still a difference maker but he hasn't had a year worthy of being in the Buchanan discussion this year.

He's a Swiss army knife though... you can just watch him in a series and see how versatile he is. He'll go from covering a slot WR to edge rusher to spying the QB all in a matter of 3 plays.

Herdistheword
December 11th, 2019, 11:01 AM
His numbers are down a bit (91 tackles, 9.5 TFLs, 4 sacks, 4 INTs in 2018 to 70 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, and 1 INT this year)... he moved from WLB to SLB in an effort to keep him from covering the slot receiver and stay closer to the LOS but it didn't really work as, like Herdistheword said, he's spent a lot of time in pass coverage this year. I guarantee every offensive coordinator they've played has schemed to neutralize Cox just as much as any other Bison defender so he's still a difference maker but he hasn't had a year worthy of being in the Buchanan discussion this year.

He's a Swiss army knife though... you can just watch him in a series and see how versatile he is. He'll go from covering a slot WR to edge rusher to spying the QB all in a matter of 3 plays.

The most ridiculous thing about him is that it seems like he is hardly ever targeted in coverage. He covers the slot WR better than many DB’s do.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2019, 11:36 AM
The most ridiculous thing about him is that it seems like he is hardly ever targeted in coverage. He covers the slot WR better than many DB’s do.
The amazing thing is every team tries to run or throw to the opposite side of the field as him and he still makes a ton of plays with his speed and athleticism.