PDA

View Full Version : Is NAU crazy?

Jacks76
May 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Not only do they have to play at emerging PAC-10 power Arizona, but I just learn this past week that they have scheduled Appl. State???

How's Sean Norton looking at QB for NAU? Because we're gonna need a Neil Lomax-like effort (e.g. Portland State) to win that game.

Paul

NDSUFREAK
May 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Not only do they have to play at emerging PAC-10 power Arizona, but I just learn this past week that they have scheduled Appl. State???

How's Sean Norton looking at QB for NAU? Because we're gonna need a Neil Lomax-like effort (e.g. Portland State) to win that game.

Paul

Adopt the slogan we have here at NDSU saying BRING ON THE COMPETITION. I applaud NAU for scheduling great opponents to battle against.

Marcus Garvey
May 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Paul

I would hardly call Arizona an "emerging power" in the Pac-10. Inconsitent is a better term. The NAU game was scheduled a few years ago when UofA could barely put together 3 win seasons.

I suspect the Cats are going to struggle with their new offensive scheme. Mike Stoops has a reputation for being hard on his assistant coaches, resulting in a high turnover. If they don't win 8 games and a bowl game, he's going to be on the hot seat in '08. If the team completely *****s the bed, he might be fired, but I don't think they can afford to buy him out at the moment.

dbackjon
May 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM

Paul

Where you been hiding...:D

Tough schedule - but it is going to be a great season!!

Jacks76
May 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
So how is Sean Norton looking at QB? I've been trying to find articles from NAU's spring practice, but nothing is available other than a very brief one written the second day of practice. And that was in April.

dbackjon
May 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
So how is Sean Norton looking at QB? I've been trying to find articles from NAU's spring practice, but nothing is available other than a very brief one written the second day of practice. And that was in April.

From what I have been able to gather, he is looking very good.

I wish our Athletic Department did a better job with publicity...

ucdtim17
May 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah UA doesn't get an "emerging power" label until they finish over .500

Jacks76
May 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
True, but both Arizona and Arizona State have been stumbling blocks for the Jacks in football (they are catching up in basketball and golf, though).

NDSUFREAK
May 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
True, but both Arizona and Arizona State have been stumbling blocks for the Jacks in football (they are catching up in basketball and golf, though).

ASU BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL AS WELL! +++++++

dbackjon
May 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
ASU BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL AS WELL! +++++++

Well, since NAU doesn't sponsor either sport...

BrevardMountaineer03
May 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Adopt the slogan we have here at NDSU saying BRING ON THE COMPETITION. I applaud NAU for scheduling great opponents to battle against.

My feeling is the better the schedule the better prepared for the Playoffs you are. Appalachian played two bowl teams in 2005 in Kansas and LSU. They didn't score a point on LSU, yet they earned a #2 seed. I can only look to SOS for that. I think NAU will gain more from playing a tough OOC schedule then playing cupcakes and getting wins.

Even though Lenoir-Rhyne is my first Alma Mater, I wish App didn't have to play them. (BA from LRC and MSA from ASU) I agree with NDSU's slogan bring the best, you can only gain from the experience.

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
My feeling is the better the schedule the better prepared for the Playoffs you are. Appalachian played two bowl teams in 2005 in Kansas and LSU. They didn't score a point on LSU, yet they earned a #2 seed. I can only look to SOS for that. I think NAU will gain more from playing a tough OOC schedule then playing cupcakes and getting wins.

Even though Lenoir-Rhyne is my first Alma Mater, I wish App didn't have to play them. (BA from LRC and MSA from ASU) I agree with NDSU's slogan bring the best, you can only gain from the experience.

That's a great point. Take care of business against who you're supposed to beat, and the tough schedule will pay off.

AppMan
May 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I admire NAU for playing the game. They could have probably stayed close to home and picked up a sure win over a nobody, but they decided to go against the norm in FCS football these days and stepped up to the plate. My hat is off to them.

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
I admire NAU for playing the game. They could have probably stayed close to home and picked up a sure win over a nobody, but they decided to go against the norm in FCS football these days and stepped up to the plate. My hat is off to them.

Agreed.

PSUVikings
May 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
PSU has a shot at going undeafted at home, NAU should be our toughest home game.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
PSU has a shot at going undeafted at home, NAU should be our toughest home game.

Will be interesting to see what Glanville can do with the Vikings this year.

james_lawfirm
May 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Paul

NAU fans:
Congrats for scheduling ASU on Sept. 15. I hope you fellers travel well. Boone, N.C. is a fun place to watch football.

PantherRob82
May 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
NAU fans:
Congrats for scheduling ASU on Sept. 15. I hope you fellers travel well. Boone, N.C. is a fun place to watch football.

Not too many of em came up here, but NC is definitely more of a destination than Iowa.

Jacks76
May 24th, 2007, 12:05 PM
NAU seems to rather enjoy scheduling "ASU" teams:

NAU played Arizona State (as in, the Sun Devils of the PAC-10 Conference) in 2003 and 2006 (losing 34-14 and 35-14, respectively).

They also played Arizona (as in, the Wildcats of the PAC-10 Conference) in 2002, 2004 and 2005 (losing 37-3, 21-3 and 31-12, respectively).

NAU was tied with Arizona State 14-14 entering the 4th quarter last year, and trailed Arizona 7-3 *in* the 4th quarter a few years ago, having a golden opportunity to go up 10-7 squashed when NAU RB Roger Robinson ran to the Arizona 11-yard line, but was penalized 15-yards for "unsportsmanlike conduct" (he posed to the UofA fans after his long run). On the next play, Murrietta completed a pass over the middle to some WR (I forget his name), who was promptly leveled and fumbled the football back to Arizona. In fact, he was hit so hard that upon getting up very woozily he then fell back down again and had to be helped off of the football field. He had blood on his jersey.

Paul

Jackluv
May 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I believe that WR was named Kory Mor or something like that.

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Fortune favors the bold. Give em' hell NAU.xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
May 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Fortune favors the bold. Give em' hell NAU.xthumbsupx

What does it do for the stupid?

ucdtim17
May 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Hello??

We did finish 28 spots ahead of them in Sagarin last year. Maybe our fans should be speaking out a little more, but we're not getting much mention from anyone this offseason. I'll just say we're not likely to finish 6-5 for a 4th year in a row and we're certainly not going to have a losing season (there's 37 years of precendence there)

CopperCat
May 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
What does it do for the stupid?

xrolleyesx
Stupid? Hardly. You learn very little unless you are challenged.

Mountaineer#96
May 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM
NAU thanks for stepping up to the plate in FCS xthumbsupx we are proud to have you boys on the schedule.

Hope those that travel enjoy the High Country.

Be sure to:
Pick up some BBQ on game day.
Drink with the students up at Greenwood lot.
Say howdy to Yosef ( not yourself, but our Mascot ).
Catch a glimpse of our Chancellor in front of our student section.

btw: Pardon the mess with the press box construction.

james_lawfirm
May 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
xrolleyesx
Stupid? Hardly. You learn very little unless you are challenged.

FTG06:

OK, my attempt at humor was not as funny as I hoped. I meant no personal offense. In fact, I agree completely with your latin phrase and with your explanation above. xthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
May 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
NAU thanks for stepping up to the plate in FCS xthumbsupx we are proud to have you boys on the schedule.

Hope those that travel enjoy the High Country.

Be sure to:
Pick up some BBQ on game day.
Drink with the students up at Greenwood lot.
Say howdy to Yosef ( not yourself, but our Mascot ).
Catch a glimpse of our Chancellor in front of our student section.

btw: Pardon the mess with the press box construction.

Well we wanted to play you but you had to run to Michigan to save you from losing worse to us than Blue.......:p :p :p :p :p :p

I sure hope NDSU and App State can play very soon in the future. Playoff game at the FFD in '08??;)

boonedocks
May 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Playoff game at the FFD in '08??;)

Better make it KBS xthumbsupx

Seriously, I do hope we get a chance to play in the near future

NDSUFREAK
May 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Better make it KBS xthumbsupx

Seriously, I do hope we get a chance to play in the near future

Or Chattanooga......xrolleyesx :p
*WOW, now I'm just getting way to ahead of myself*

back to NAU

BrevardMountaineer03
May 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Works for me.....xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
May 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

back to NAU

Chatty would be good.

already123
May 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I hold NAU in a new respect after seeing this schedule...I have a feeling that they will be rewarded in the end aswell! As far as Norton is concerned, he is looking good...real good. However, he is being outplayed by the incumbent starter and all purpose player Kriesien. They have both have performed very well from what I have heard. So now that it seems the Lumberjacks don't have a problem at QB...can we classify them as a playoff team? All the pieces are there....