PDA

View Full Version : Payton finalists announced

Schism55
December 9th, 2019, 11:14 AM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1204083377848168454

Redbird 4th & short
December 9th, 2019, 11:32 AM
If playoffs were included, ISUr RB Robinson would have had a strong case .. but I believe this is regular season only award and he just didn't have as strong a resume this regular season compared to last season. I blame our pass game inadequacies .. he has been keyed on and taken a pounding all frickin year !! And he never once got frustrated .. just kept pounding away to get the extra couple yards.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Cookus has had a fantastic career but he quarterbacked a 4-8 team. Daniel Smith from Nova or Ben Dinucci from JMU have had better seasons and actually led their teams to some wins. Of course Dinucci was inexplicably left off the ballot altogether.

uni88
December 9th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Cookus has had a fantastic career but he quarterbacked a 4-8 team. Daniel Smith from Nova or Ben Dinucci from JMU have had better seasons and actually led their teams to some wins. Of course Dinucci was inexplicably left off the ballot altogether.

xthumbsupx I'd put Albany's Undercuffler in there too.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Lance should win it amongst that group of finalists....shocked at some omissions.

LetsGoPeay
December 9th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Did someone say snub?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIC3vKSXkAEjySj.jpg

AmsterBison
December 9th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Did someone say snub?

I watched the Sacramento State game yesterday... Javaughn is a BEAST. He looks way taller than 6-2. Excellent runner too.

Herdistheword
December 9th, 2019, 12:17 PM
While wins don’t mean everything, I don’t think the winner of an offensive award should ever come from a team with a losing record. It is much easier for QB’s and WR’s to rack up stats when they are constantly playing from behind and it penalizes guys who run efficient offenses that don’t require large statistical efforts to be successful. At some point, the ability to impact games in a way that allows your team to win has to be considered. I don’t even care if the winner comes from a non-playoff team, but a 4-8 record is just abysmal.

Dukie95
December 9th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Kind of bad timing. Ink on Guerreiro and Thomson's exposures isn't even dry yet.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 9th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I think Dalton Snead kinda got snubbed as well. If he wouldnt have missed 2 games maybe things would have been different.

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Kind of bad timing. Ink on Guerreiro and Thomson's exposures isn't even dry yet.
Thomson will win it.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I think Dalton Snead kinda got snubbed as well. If he wouldnt have missed 2 games maybe things would have been different.

Lance cumulatively missed probably that much time late in blowouts. :D

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2019, 01:31 PM
It's a blessing Jah-Maine finished 7th in voting.

Dukie95
December 9th, 2019, 01:39 PM

haha...exactly, DiNucci too, but he's trash anyway.

Herdistheword
December 9th, 2019, 01:48 PM
haha...exactly, DiNucci too, but he's trash anyway.

I actually thought DiNucci would be one of the main challengers to Trey Lance’s bid. I guess not. Maybe some day this award will be more than just volume stats. Thomson had a great season, but when comparing the yards, attempts, completion %, TD’s/INT’s, and rushing stats, it is pretty clear that Trey had a more impressive year IMO. I am assuming that Thomson will get it due to the program turnaround. It is expected for me at this point that Trey will not win due to his age and lack of volume stats. I won’t be too mad if Thomson or the Monmouth RB get it, because they helped lead their programs to victory, but please don’t give it to the guy who racked up volume stats on a crummy team. Please, just no...

mvfcfan
December 9th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Robinson got snubbed and would have had my vote to win the award. With the finalists listed I hope Lance wins it. Not throwing 1 pick all year is pretty impressive.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Honestly I'm not sure if Sneed played an entire game at 100% this year. He's one hell of a player and leader, though.

Herdistheword
December 9th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Robinson got snubbed and would have had my vote to win the award. With the finalists listed I hope Lance wins it. Not throwing 1 pick all year is pretty impressive.

Robinson was further down the list than expected. Though he would have been greatly aided if playoff performances were considered as well.

NOLA
December 9th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Trey Lance should win from this group. A bit surprised how far down the list Robinson was even before going crazy in the playoffs. And where’s JMU’s quarterback??? Crazy.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2019, 07:10 PM
The two QBs on this list would be 3rd string at NDSU but I could see either one winning based on stats.

BisonFan02
December 9th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Trey Lance should win from this group. A bit surprised how far down the list Robinson was even before going crazy in the playoffs. And where’s JMU’s quarterback??? Crazy.

This.

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2019, 08:25 PM
The two QBs on this list would be 3rd string at NDSU but I could see either one winning based on stats.

I am impressed the QB hasn’t thrown a pick. Still other than Wentz most NDSU quarterbacks are just someone to hand off the ball. Maybe this kid is more than that.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2019, 08:34 PM
I am impressed the QB hasn’t thrown a pick. Still other than Wentz most NDSU quarterbacks are just someone to hand off the ball. Maybe this kid is more than that.Yea, maybe. He doesn't throw the ball that much, neither does Jackson for the Ravens, the game is changing, sort of. In Wentz's final 2 years, he averaged about 25 throws a game, Trey Lance is at about 18 passes a game. Trey runs the ball a lot more, and he plays a lot older than his age. Pretty poised.

Grizzlies82
December 9th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Yea, maybe. He doesn't throw the ball that much, neither does Jackson for the Ravens, the game is changing, sort of. In Wentz's final 2 years, he averaged about 25 throws a game, Trey Lance is at about 18 passes a game. Trey runs the ball a lot more, and he plays a lot older than his age. Pretty poised.

The kid is obviously playing much older than his years. Have not watched him but will this weekend. Curious to see him in action.

I was just taking a poke at the comment Cookus and Thomson would be 3rd string at NDSU. Hell, Brock Jensen wouldn’t have been a starting QB for half the Big Sky teams.

CopperCat
December 9th, 2019, 10:35 PM
Jalen Hurts would be third string at NDSU too, no doubt. xcoffeex

POD Knows
December 9th, 2019, 10:51 PM
The kid is obviously playing much older than his years. Have not watched him but will this weekend. Curious to see him in action.

I was just taking a poke at the comment Cookus and Thomson would be 3rd string at NDSU. Hell, Brock Jensen wouldn’t have been a starting QB for half the Big Sky teams.Jensen was a winner, the other guys aren't.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2019, 10:52 PM
Jalen Hurts would be third string at NDSU too, no doubt. xcoffeexNo, he would be a starter and the fact that you try and equate Cookus and Thompson with Hurts is weak sauce but pretty funny.

CopperCat
December 9th, 2019, 11:31 PM
No, he would be a starter and the fact that you try and equate Cookus and Thompson with Hurts is weak sauce but pretty funny.
Sarcasm. Look it up.

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Jensen was a winner, the other guys aren't.

Jensen won about 6 Championships and 100 games by handing off the ball. He was on some successful running teams. Based on his passing he would have been 2nd or 3rd string on a Big Sky team. Just a fact. Maybe your new kid is better

Scooter
December 10th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Jensen was a winner, the other guys aren't.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scooter
December 10th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Jensen won about 6 Championships and 100 games by handing off the ball. He was on some successful running teams. Based on his passing he would have been 2nd or 3rd string on a Big Sky team. Just a fact. Maybe your new kid is better
I disagree. Watch the final 10 minutes of the KSU vs NDSU game. Head and shoulders better than big sky Fluffie QB. Fact.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 10th, 2019, 01:25 AM
DiNucci has had a great year and should be among the top 4 finalists IMO. His leadership is tremendous as well, but intangibles will never be measured. I'd rather win a NC than get a POY type award anyway. As a JMU fan, I hope this motivates the team to prove them wrong.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2019, 06:08 AM
Fun fact: Case Cookus is about 3 weeks younger than Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson and 14 months older than Lamar Jackson.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2019, 06:37 AM
Jensen won about 6 Championships and 100 games by handing off the ball. He was on some successful running teams. Based on his passing he would have been 2nd or 3rd string on a Big Sky team. Just a fact. Maybe your new kid is betterYou mean him playing on an offense where they draw plays in the dirt and throw up 25 50/50 balls a game. Yea, he wouldn't be very good there but I imagine that having 10 yards of separation for your receivers in the BSC might have been a nice change for him from the MVFC. It is tough to compare QB's from team to team because of the style of play for each individual team. I have no idea how he would have down in a more wide open offense. He had an average to a better than average arm and was very mobile. There were some pretty good QB's in the BSC back then but he still would have been one of the top guys in that conference if he had played over there but of course, I have no way of proving it.

I am not impressed with Cookus, I guess I can't get the NAU/San Diego game out of my head. Thompson is a better QB than Cookus but they both would have been riding the pine at NDSU for the past 10 years.

semobison
December 10th, 2019, 07:24 AM

Maybe you need to watch the Video of the NDSU -Kansas State game from a few years ago where Jensen was 12-12 or something like that in the 4th qtr. He had a FA tryout with the Dolphins and spent a few years in the CFL.
Wentz and Stick our next two QB's were NFL draft picks, and Lance will make it 3 in a row barring injury or total meltdown.
The NFL must be littered with Big Sky QB's if Jensen would have been only 2nd or 3rd team on most teams. Where are all these former great Big Sky QB's playing?

Bisonator
December 10th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Maybe those Big Sky teams need better game plans then. Who gives a **** about stats when you win championships? How are all those Big Fluffy QB's doing in the CFL?

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2019, 08:44 AM
There's another side to this "all NDSU QBs do is hand off argument". I'm extremely confident saying that if Trey Lance was asked to throw the ball as much as Cookus and Thomson did this year he'd have their numbers dwarfed (he'd also have some INTs then too).

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Maybe those Big Sky teams need better game plans then. Who gives a **** about stats when you win championships? How are all those Big Fluffy QB's doing in the CFL?
Bo-Levi Mitchell won the Grey Cup with Calgary (with another Big Sky QB at the helm) last year.xcoffeex

100%GRIZ
December 10th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Agree 100% & was going to post the exact same thing! Also wonder if Toure would have had a chance if Sneed would have been healthy all year. Injuries happen though!

uni88
December 10th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Sarcasm. Look it up.

The Bison Lynch Mob (BLM) can have trouble with sarcasm and real or imagined slights of the Bison program or it's players but Jensen was a baller and a winner. Dude had ice-water running through his veins and his confidence was infectious. He might not have had the skill-set or athleticism for the NFL but he was arguably the best college QB the Bison have had while in FCS. The closest Big Sky comparison to Jensen is probably Dickenson.

AmsterBison
December 10th, 2019, 11:26 AM
There's another side to this "all NDSU QBs do is hand off argument". I'm extremely confident saying that if Trey Lance was asked to throw the ball as much as Cookus and Thomson did this year he'd have their numbers dwarfed (he'd also have some INTs then too).

Against teams still in the playoffs, Trey Lance's passer rating was over 211 with 6 TDs.

And speaking of snubs, NDSU's radio shows have been up in arms because DiNucci wasn't even on the list... and they are right to be. How can he not be on the list?

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2019, 11:33 AM
The Bison Lynch Mob (BLM) can have trouble with sarcasm and real or imagined slights of the Bison program or it's players but Jensen was a baller and a winner. Dude had ice-water running through his veins and his confidence was infectious. He might not have had the skill-set or athleticism for the NFL but he was arguably the best college QB the Bison have had while in FCS. The closest Big Sky comparison to Jensen is probably Dickenson.
Cole Bergquist and Andrew Selle made a lot of big time throws in their days as well (despite their teams falling one game short).

POD Knows
December 10th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Against teams still in the playoffs, Trey Lance's passer rating was over 211 with 6 TDs.

And speaking of snubs, NDSU's radio shows have been up in arms because DiNucci wasn't even on the list... and they are right to be. How can he not be on the list?
Agree. He should be on the list. Definitely ahead of Cookus.

Kemo
December 10th, 2019, 12:29 PM

The "Vernon Adams to Jake Wieneke" combo was lethal for Montreal this year.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2019, 05:57 PM
The "Vernon Adams to Jake Wieneke" combo was lethal for Montreal this year.Adams could ball, he might have been able to crack the starting line-up at NDSU. :D

No_Skill
December 10th, 2019, 07:48 PM

What the hell is that supposed to mean!?

BisonFan02
December 10th, 2019, 08:01 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean!?

UNI guy giving Jensen unbiased props.

Ask yourself this......down 4....got time for 1 drive at the end of a key game. What ya got? Wentz....Stick....or Jensen? Tougher question than you think. Haha

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2019, 08:06 PM

Ask yourself this......down 4....got time for 1 drive at the end of a key game. What ya got? Wentz....Stick....or Jensen? Tougher question than you think. Haha

Wentz

Bisonator
December 11th, 2019, 09:12 AM

Not really. Give me Wentz in that situation. Maybe a harder question would be 2013, 2014 or 2018 Bison offense in that situation.

Chalupa Batman
December 11th, 2019, 09:55 AM

It's Wentz. I like Jensen and Stick, but I don't know if they can come through in the same situations that Wentz did in the 2014 playoffs against SDSU and ISUr, or the following year against UNI.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2019, 11:40 AM
It's unbelievable that DiNucci is not a finalist. xconfusedx

jmufan999
December 11th, 2019, 01:07 PM
yes, it is completely insane that DiNucci is not on the list. it's a joke. now, Lance deserves the award. but in my opinion, DiNucci is second. let's be honest, a huge part of this is stats-based, and always has been. DiNucci doesn't have gaudy stats but he is not asked to put those up. and similar to Lance, he's sitting out a ton of 4th quarters (and lots of time, exits in the 3rd quarter).

another way of looking at it: which are the two best offenses in the country? clearly JMU and NDSU. who are the clear best players on each offense? DiNucci and Lance. you could maybe make an argument for a different JMU player like Polk but let's be real: Nooch is the QB and makes the whole thing go. he should have been a finalist and should have finished in 2nd place. whatever. Lance should and will win so it doesn't matter that much.

thebootfitter
December 11th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Lance should and will win so it doesn't matter that much.
I'm with you on the DiNucci snub. But I'm not nearly so confident that Lance will win it. Among the four finalists, he very probably should, but I suspect more than a few voters prioritized high numbers over efficiency. And more than a few likely prioritized giving the award to a non-freshman, since the freshman will presumably be around to win it in future years. I hope I'm wrong. Ultimately, it won't matter a whole lot, but both the DiNucci snub and Trey not winning (if that comes to pass) would take something away from the award if you ask me.

Lorne_Malvo
December 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
yes, it is completely insane that DiNucci is not on the list. it's a joke. now, Lance deserves the award. but in my opinion, DiNucci is second. let's be honest, a huge part of this is stats-based, and always has been. DiNucci doesn't have gaudy stats but he is not asked to put those up. and similar to Lance, he's sitting out a ton of 4th quarters (and lots of time, exits in the 3rd quarter).

another way of looking at it: which are the two best offenses in the country? clearly JMU and NDSU. who are the clear best players on each offense? DiNucci and Lance. you could maybe make an argument for a different JMU player like Polk but let's be real: Nooch is the QB and makes the whole thing go. he should have been a finalist and should have finished in 2nd place. whatever. Lance should and will win so it doesn't matter that much.

NDSU - 2nd overall offense
JMU - 7th overall offense

But DiNucci should have been in the top few.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21

(https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21)

jmufan999
December 11th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I'm with you on the DiNucci snub. But I'm not nearly so confident that Lance will win it. Among the four finalists, he very probably should, but I suspect more than a few voters prioritized high numbers over efficiency. And more than a few likely prioritized giving the award to a non-freshman, since the freshman will presumably be around to win it in future years. I hope I'm wrong. Ultimately, it won't matter a whole lot, but both the DiNucci snub and Trey not winning (if that comes to pass) would take something away from the award if you ask me.

Trey will win, trust me. i do think if it were a close call, they'd give it to a non-freshman. but it's really not that close, he's going to win. if he doesn't, the award is a complete joke and the voters should be ashamed.

Herdistheword
December 11th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Trey will win, trust me. i do think if it were a close call, they'd give it to a non-freshman. but it's really not that close, he's going to win. if he doesn't, the award is a complete joke and the voters should be ashamed.

I think Thomson will win, but I think Trey should win it.

BisonFan02
December 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM
You're going to have voters that go, "I'm giving Trey the Rice, but not the Payton". That will be their rationale....its like MLB HOF first ballot voting. Haha

Professor Chaos
December 11th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I agree that the "Fr" after Trey Lance's name will hurt him in the Payton award voting. Someone on Bisonville drew a parallel to the Baseball HOF voting that I thought was fitting. Some voters refuse to vote for an obviously HOFer his first time on the ballot because they hold "1st ballot HOFer" with some kind of reverence over just a "regular HOFer". A guy is either a HOFer or he's not... it's ridiculous that some of them are on the ballot for years and years slowly building their way up to the threshold for admittance. Just like that a guy is either the most outstanding offensive player in the FCS or he's not. But, like some baseball HOF voters do, I'm sure some STATS voters will make it more complicated than it needs to be.

You're going to have voters that go, "I'm giving Trey the Rice, but not the Payton". That will be their rationale....its like MLB HOF first ballot voting. Haha
Bingo, you put it a lot more succinctly than I did. xlolx

Herder
December 12th, 2019, 01:12 PM
If the Payton was the same as the Hiesman, the finalists would be:

DuNucci
Lance
Robinson
Thompson
Snead
Strong

Take your stats, lesser conferences, losing records . . . And go home according to Hiesman voters. You better be blue blood from a top conf, and you better win about all your games. And Robinson and Strong would likely get dropped for not being QBs. G5’s for Hiesman (guttural laughing) Never.