PDA

View Full Version : Austin Peay at Montana State

bonarae
December 8th, 2019, 07:36 AM
First-ever trip for the Governors to the FCS national quarterfinals. Can the frigid Montana weather stop the Govs' hot streak on the road? Or can the Govs keep rolling despite unusual (for their setting) conditions to face NDSU/ISU red?

Game is on Friday night, 8 PM EST.

Discuss.

Houndawg
December 8th, 2019, 07:43 AM
First-ever trip for the Governors to the FCS national quarterfinals. Can the frigid Montana weather stop the Govs' hot streak on the road? Or can the Govs keep rolling despite unusual (for their setting) conditions to face NDSU/ISU red?

Game is on Friday night, 8 PM EST.

Discuss.

Home teams wins this game at either of their fields

wapiti
December 8th, 2019, 09:28 AM
I do not think the weather will be much of a factor.
The elevation change may have a slight effect though.
Bobcat Stadium is at 4,940 feet.
Clarksville is 476 feet

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Griz by 100 points. :) That one is for you Dewey!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Montana State wins this at home.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2019, 04:03 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49189406078_bb94239255_o.jpg

The numbers look pretty comparable on offense but Austin Peay has the edge on defense. The APSU run defense against Montana St's run offense (both top 10 in the country) should be an epic battle. One thing that has been odd about APSU all year is higher number of penalties and penalty yards... at this point in the playoffs those mistakes become amplified and if they give a team like Montana St extra chances to make plays due to penalties eventually it'll come back to bite them.

LetsGoPeay
December 8th, 2019, 04:21 PM
You guys will figure this out soon enough. The run defense is strong because people can't run up the middle . . . because of someone who is 325 lbs, strong as an ox, and runs like a fullback.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKT-LLGX0AAmX-q?format=jpg&name=small

swaghook
December 8th, 2019, 05:27 PM
I see a team similar to the 2010 Bison hungry in the play offs. They might just pull off another upset in this one.

LetsGoPeay
December 8th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Montana State's offense is nice though. A lot of motion and runs to the edges and a lot of players who carry the ball. If you overplay that, they have the ability to make the necessary throws to beat you, although NOT their strength as a team. It'll be VERY INTERESTING to see what will happen with that offense, if the Govs can force them into a few 3rd and 5 or 6 situations. Do they stay true to themselves, and keep running the football? Or do they trust their QB to make plays with his arm?

One of the things that Austin Peay have going for them, is a very experienced coach and coaching staff. Healy brought in the recruits, and assembled the talent pool that you see today. Hudspeth has been all over the place and has coached at every level in college football. Yes, he got popped for cheating. That still doesn't dismiss the knowledge that this guy has. As unique as Montana State's offense is, it's nothing that he hasn't seen before.

This Austin Peay team will be PREPARED and READY. The only question is . . can they play mistake free football?

GreatGreatGreat
December 8th, 2019, 07:29 PM
At this point I don’t think you should call a Austin Peay win an upset. I’ll pick Montana State due to the home field advantage. The coldest game I ever played in my life was in Bozeman. Southern speed may freeze a little.

Catbooster
December 8th, 2019, 07:43 PM
At this point I don’t think you should call a Austin Peay win an upset. I’ll pick Montana State due to the home field advantage. The coldest game I ever played in my life was in Bozeman. Southern speed may freeze a little.
Well, I'm not too sure whether the players are affected by it (that conversation comes up every once in a while), but I'm hoping it doesn't reduce the attendance. We've been having a warm Nov/Dec so far, but after the sun goes down it will cool off fast. We're planning to take lots of layers to the game.

MSUBobcat
December 8th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm not too sure whether the players are affected by it (that conversation comes up every once in a while), but I'm hoping it doesn't reduce the attendance. We've been having a warm Nov/Dec so far, but after the sun goes down it will cool off fast. We're planning to take lots of layers to the game.

The weather Friday is predicted to be very similar to Saturday's game except, as you mentioned, when the sun goes down, the temp falls quick. I don't think attendance will fall too much as long as the forecast of no snow holds for good roads. I stayed too late today and the road back was...... interesting.

LetsGoPeay
December 8th, 2019, 08:17 PM

Friday night in Bozeman

Low 20s with snow showers with 7 mph winds

It definitely helps to have a QB that can run the ball as well as throw it. In cold weather, it's the wind that can kill a team. With little wind, it won't affect the passing game unless the receivers let the cold bother them.

It should be an interesting game. A game that should be on ESPN2, or at least ESPNU . . . but it looks like it will be on ESPN3.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2019, 09:06 PM
As the civilian life support system for Fort Campbell (KY), Clarksville, TN & APSU are, for all intents & purposes, in Kentucky. While Border State Speed is not quite as dominating as Southern Speed, it is much less susceptible to cold-weather-cranking failure.

Mike296
December 9th, 2019, 12:27 PM
This is an interesting game on paper but the elevation and weather might be a factor for AP

MSUBobcat
December 9th, 2019, 12:50 PM
This is an interesting game on paper but the elevation and weather might be a factor for AP

I think this is a bit of misinformation that isn't as much a factor as we fans like to propagate. The elevation isn't as extreme as War Memorial in Laramie or even Walkup in Flagstaff. As has been discussed in other threads, cold weather in and off itself doesn't make a "warm weather school" play worse than the "cold weather school". Playing bad may allow the cold to creep into the mind's of the players tho. To quote Ursus, "It might have some effect on the opposition if you are up on them pretty good and the offense is out there and holding on to the ball for long stretches letting the other team really cool down and let the weather get in their heads a bit...but that is so small in the overall it is just one more straw on the pile that already exists when you are up, and driving consistently." I summarize this as, cold affecting your play is often a SYMPTOM of getting beat, not the CAUSE. It can make things snowball, pun somewhat intended.

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I've got AP in this one. I think it'll be a close game but i'm giving the Gov's the nod.

technocat
December 9th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Montana State's offense is nice though. A lot of motion and runs to the edges and a lot of players who carry the ball. If you overplay that, they have the ability to make the necessary throws to beat you, although NOT their strength as a team. It'll be VERY INTERESTING to see what will happen with that offense, if the Govs can force them into a few 3rd and 5 or 6 situations. Do they stay true to themselves, and keep running the football? Or do they trust their QB to make plays with his arm?

One of the things that Austin Peay have going for them, is a very experienced coach and coaching staff. Healy brought in the recruits, and assembled the talent pool that you see today. Hudspeth has been all over the place and has coached at every level in college football. Yes, he got popped for cheating. That still doesn't dismiss the knowledge that this guy has. As unique as Montana State's offense is, it's nothing that he hasn't seen before.

This Austin Peay team will be PREPARED and READY. The only question is . . can they play mistake free football?

I feel like I've seen this quote somewhere before... :D

Question for AP fans, does it look like Craig will be 100% in this game? Limping a bit at the end of the SSU game after being rolled up on. Going to be a hell of a game between two teams on fire.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I feel like I've seen this quote somewhere before... :D

Question for AP fans, does it look like Craig will be 100% in this game? Limping a bit at the end of the SSU game after being rolled up on. Going to be a hell of a game between two teams on fire.Well...Craig is APSU’s backup QB & the Starter (who is REALLY good) has had 3 months to heal from his lower leg injury incurrred in Game 2. So, the Govs are pretty set at the QB spot.

cats2506
December 9th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Well...Craig is APSU’s backup QB & the Starter (who is REALLY good) has had 3 months to heal from his lower leg injury incurrred in Game 2. So, the Govs are pretty set at the QB spot.
So..... the backups are better than the startersxcoffeex

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2019, 02:11 PM
So..... your backups are better than the startersxcoffeex
1) not ‘mine’
2) both are REALLY good. Coaches chose Oatsvall https://letsgopeay.com/sports/football/roster/jeremiah-oatsvall/7680 over Craig in 2017 & didn’t see any reason to change until Oatsvall was injured. I don’t know who is better. They are both VERY good. Gotta think the APSU Coaches know what they are doing.

Catbooster
December 9th, 2019, 02:16 PM
1) not ‘mine’
2) both are REALLY good. Coaches chose Oatsvall https://letsgopeay.com/sports/football/roster/jeremiah-oatsvall/7680 over Craig in 2017 & didn’t see any reason to change until Oatsvall was injured. I don’t know who is better. They are both VERY good. Gotta think the APSU Coaches know what they are doing.
Come on - message board posters have proven time and again that they are much more knowledgeable about these things. xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2019, 08:48 PM
1) not ‘mine’

couldnt even tell you the Austin Peay Head coaches name but I like him, he acts like a coach should on the sideline...... besides Austin Peay has a creative offense, all good with him whoever he is

gofurman
December 10th, 2019, 01:47 AM

Damn if my Furman guys (who played like crap and got beat to heck) weren't suckered with the best at-large team who now has beaten a SEEDED team on the ROAD !! xdrunkyx CONGRATS to APy! It happens though..teams get hot at right time or develop. Yes, the APS interior run D is strong. Very strong. I still don't get how these guys lost to the WORST (ETSU) team the SoCon has in the entire conference - shows how teams evolve etc. You never want to play that hot/underrated team (APy)

And yes, these guys play nasty but they commit TOO MANY PENALTIES and most of their fans acknowledge this. As in, 90 yards a game or so or something. I watched them have 100+ yards of penalties in some game I think... That will be a huge point moving forward. That will catch up to you at some point if they don't get it under control. Hate for that to be the reason to lose. From this point forward I am not sure they can afford to give away yards like that?

mvfcfan
December 10th, 2019, 07:11 AM
I have a feeling this one will come down to OT.

Iridebikes
December 10th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Griz by 100 points. :) That one is for you Dewey!

Wrong Montana team. Bobcats by quite a few.

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Damn if my Furman guys (who played like crap and got beat to heck) weren't suckered with the best at-large team who now has beaten a SEEDED team on the ROAD !! xdrunkyx CONGRATS to APy! It happens though..teams get hot at right time or develop. Yes, the APS interior run D is strong. Very strong. I still don't get how these guys lost to the WORST (ETSU) team the SoCon has in the entire conference - shows how teams evolve etc. You never want to play that hot/underrated team (APy)

And yes, these guys play nasty but they commit TOO MANY PENALTIES and most of their fans acknowledge this. As in, 90 yards a game or so or something. I watched them have 100+ yards of penalties in some game I think... That will be a huge point moving forward. That will catch up to you at some point if they don't get it under control. Hate for that to be the reason to lose. From this point forward I am not sure they can afford to give away yards like that?

First, MSU doesn't run up the middle as often as they bounce it outside. I liked that Rovig was allowed to take shots downfield last week (and it often panned out, surprisingly). It'll help immensely if he continues to progress and teams have to honor the passing game, if even only slightly.

Second, holy ****.... they are 121st out of 124 FCS teams with 87.07 ypg?!?! That's not going bode well facing a team that averages nearly 22 first downs as it is. Sounds like their defense is going to be spending more time on the field than necessary and that plays right to our strength of grinding teams down.

LetsGoPeay
December 10th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Well...Craig is APSU’s backup QB & the Starter (who is REALLY good) has had 3 months to heal from his lower leg injury incurrred in Game 2. So, the Govs are pretty set at the QB spot.

While this is true, I'll say that Craig is better than Oatsvall. If Craig is 80%, I still want him out on the field. If he goes out, I do have confidence that Jeremiah can still run the offense. It's just not realistic to think he can play very well after not playing for most of the season.

LetsGoPeay
December 10th, 2019, 11:04 AM
First, MSU doesn't run up the middle as often as they bounce it outside. I liked that Rovig was allowed to take shots downfield last week (and it often panned out, surprisingly). It'll help immensely if he continues to progress and teams have to honor the passing game, if even only slightly.

Second, holy ****.... they are 121st out of 124 FCS teams with 87.07 ypg?!?! That's not going bode well facing a team that averages nearly 22 first downs as it is. Sounds like their defense is going to be spending more time on the field than necessary and that plays right to our strength of grinding teams down.

Austin Peay is not a heavy blitz team. But the one way you slow down all of that outside running, is to blitz from the corners. If Montana State doesn't try to establish some sort of inside running game, they might be surprised that their guys can't run past our linebackers and corners, like they did against that super slow Montana defense.

cats2506
December 10th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Austin Peay is not a heavy blitz team. But the one way you slow down all of that outside running, is to blitz from the corners. If Montana State doesn't try to establish some sort of inside running game, they might be surprised that their guys can't run past our linebackers and corners, like they did against that super slow Montana defense.
I like that you see it that way, but um's defense was as much slow as they were out of position due to the scheme they run and having to pause because they didn't know where the ball was going.

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2019, 11:59 AM

xeekx #southernspeed #speedkills

Didn't say they don't run it up the middle EVER. Our strength seems to be knowing where the pressure is coming from and running away from it more often than not, but we've also got some nasty OL that have no problem taking the fight to the DL. Add to that Rovig gaining confidence in himself and his receivers, and blitzing corners may result in getting burned on some deep passes.

LetsGoPeay
December 10th, 2019, 01:18 PM
I like that you see it that way, but um's defense was as much slow as they were out of position due to the scheme they run and having to pause because they didn't know where the ball was going.

MSU's backs and receivers were running right by those dudes. It's not like Montana didn't know what they were going to run. They just didn't have the athletes to stop it.

Lorne_Malvo
December 10th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Wrong Montana team. Bobcats by quite a few.

Inside joke.

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2019, 02:15 PM
MSU's backs and receivers were running right by those dudes. It's not like Montana didn't know what they were going to run. They just didn't have the athletes to stop it.
Respectfully disagree. Although, missing Mamula and his speed certainly didn't help.

cats2506
December 10th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Did you watch that game at all, watch their linebackers, they stand for a count of 1 before moving after the ball is snapped, the reason was that they were uncertain of where the ball was going, they generally have a lot of lateral movement almost to the point of over pursuing, but after getting burned on that a few times they just stood and waited to find out where the ball was going. Once they knew where it was going they closed pretty fast, but by then MSU was 3-6 yards downfield. If um's defensive front looked slow then MSU must have #southernspeed

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Did you watch that game at all, watch their linebackers, they stand for a count of 1 before moving after the ball is snapped, the reason was that they were uncertain of where the ball was going, they generally have a lot of lateral movement almost to the point of over pursuing, but after getting burned on that a few times they just stood and waited to find out where the ball was going. Once they knew where it was going they closed pretty fast, but by then MSU was 3-6 yards downfield. If um's defensive front looked slow then MSU must have #southernspeed

Let's hope not!!!! xprayx #southernspeed is almost always a death knell for the team infected by it!

cats2506
December 10th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Let's hope not!!!! xprayx #southernspeed is almost always a death knell for the team infected by it!
Yeah, I don't think um's defensive front can be considered SLOW though

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I don't think um's defensive front can be considered SLOW though

I think Griz fans would objectively agree with your sentiment! xlolx It's interesting to me how whenever fans start boasting about their team speed, more often than not they get dumptrucked. Same thing usually happens on the college hockey forum I read. A team that boasts about their speed and skill meets up with a team that likes to play physical and pretty soon those speedsters are looking for the exits and don't wanna play anymore.

Not saying that's what AP fans are doing here; usually people boasting about speed are referring to offense not defense, and from the stats and what people are saying, the Govs like to play physical D. Strength on strength. Should be fun to watch for a casual fan. Fans of the teams may be sweating....

Schism55
December 10th, 2019, 05:44 PM
I know it's early in the week but any info on Troy Andersons availability for this game?

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2019, 06:18 PM
I know it's early in the week but any info on Troy Andersons availability for this game?

Bobcats don't have any "Troy Anderson". Go with the Danish spelling, Troy Andersen. Troy really needs to be rested until next year.
Though that won't happen. The coaches will break him out this week, or for the Bison (if they meet). The kid is tough but has been used like a rented mule.

Officially the coach stated he "has multiple issues, though none require surgery".
That translates into "His parents can't even recognize him, but he is still breathing."

LetsGoPeay
December 10th, 2019, 06:50 PM

MSU was running in lightspeed then, because that Montana defense was very slow. This was not a case of people being out of position, because even when they were in position, MSU still ran by those guys. That 15 minute stretch from about midway in the 1st to midway in the 2nd, was total domination by MSU. Absolutely overwhelming Montana.

Grizzlies82
December 10th, 2019, 06:58 PM
MSU was running in lightspeed then, because that Montana defense was very slow. This was not a case of people being out of position, because even when they were in position, MSU still ran by those guys. That 15 minute stretch from about midway in the 1st to midway in the 2nd, was total domination by MSU. Absolutely overwhelming Montana.

It was more than 15 minutes. I've never seen the Grizzlies look that bad versus MT State. Never. Suspect the bobcats drugged the water supply.
Obviously put some sort of downers in the water bottles. Make sure your water boys don't turn their back on these dudes! Watch the water bottles! xeyebrowx

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Why didn't every team just do that then? You don't think Oregon would have scored more than 35 against a slow defense?

cats2506
December 10th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Why didn't every team just do that then? You don't think Oregon would have scored more than 35 against a slow defense?
The difference in the Cat/grizz game was not speed, the whole game plan was designed to use um's speed against them and get them out of position and confuse them. Our rookie OC did an excellent job in that game in making them defend from sideline to sideline on every play.

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2019, 08:04 PM
The difference in the Cat/grizz game was not speed, the whole game plan was designed to use um's speed against them and get them out of position and confuse them. Our rookie OC did an excellent job in that game in making them defend from sideline to sideline on every play.
I don't often agree with 2506, but he's spot on here.

Our defense is fast and aggressive.

MSU took advantage of that aggression and made it over-aggression. Lane/gap discipline is probably our biggest weak point. We eat up straightforward running teams, but make our front 7 hesitate, and it takes us out of our game. Certainly didn't help that we were physically overmatched for most of the day at the line of scrimmage, too.

SLU was one of the fastest teams in the field, and our D made them look slow for most of the afternoon.

fencer24
December 10th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I would add - Our defense has been very effective in getting to the QB to try and disrupt the play as it is developing. The problem for the Brawl was that MSU doesn't have a QB. Most of the time, our defenders were zeroing in on the middles of the backfield while the runner slides by.

cats2506
December 10th, 2019, 08:25 PM
I don't often agree with 2506, but he's spot on here.

I'm always "spot on" you just continue your education and you will accept thatxthumbsupx

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2019, 09:34 PM
I’ve made up my mind - FUBeAR is going FULL Transitive on this one...

Austin Peay
beat
CS Sacramento
42-28

CS Sacramento
beat
Montana St
34-21

Therefore, Austin Peay is better than Montana St by a combined score of 76-49...(divided by 2).

Govs rule over Cats by 14...38 - 24.

Mike296
December 10th, 2019, 11:06 PM

Austin Peay
beat
CS Sacramento
42-28

CS Sacramento
beat
Montana St
34-21

Therefore, Austin Peay is better than Montana St by a combined score of 76-49...(divided by 2).

I’ve loved all this patronage towards the govs but even I know this isn’t going to be that easy. As much as I have loved our Cinderella run this year I think it ends here to a team who can match our speed.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 11th, 2019, 12:42 AM

You seem to be very knowledgeable and have an excellent eye. I sincerely look forward to more of your spot on analysis. xlolx

https://media.giphy.com/media/tZF2erGJ5uOHe/200.gif

Iridebikes
December 11th, 2019, 07:06 AM
Inside joke.

Thought about that after posting. Apologies!!

UNHWildcat18
December 11th, 2019, 07:54 AM
AP team that just crushed a Sac St team that beat MSU, should be a very interesting game.

Bisonator
December 11th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Let's go peay! :D

BadlandsGrizFan
December 11th, 2019, 10:49 AM

Oh god...its been a good while since a fan of a Southern Team brought up that a Montana school doesnt get athletes...lol. It generally doesnt end up well.

Montana and MSU get some of the best athletes in the FCS...including Montanas current Buck Buchanan nominee for the 2nd year in a row..Dante Olson...whom is part of possibly the best linebacking corp in the country....is that the athletes Austin Peay seems to think they have it better than?

I would probably just be focused on beating the Cats because if they can have a day like that against Montanas linebackers you should be worried.

Mike296
December 11th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Oh god...its been a good while since a fan of a Southern Team brought up that a Montana school doesnt get athletes...lol. It generally doesnt end up well.

Montana and MSU get some of the best athletes in the FCS...including Montanas current Buck Buchanan nominee for the 2nd year in a row..Dante Olson...whom is part of possibly the best linebacking corp in the country....is that the athletes Austin Peay seems to think they have it better than?

I would probably just be focused on beating the Cats because if they can have a day like that against Montanas linebackers you should be worried.

Not all AP fans are that way. I’ve been around these boards for awhile and for awhile I felt like the only AP fan on the board. My honest opinion about a potential UM vs AP matchup is that AP would struggle mightily in such a contest. While we have amazing skill players, UM has the best defense I’ve seen apart from NDSU these past few years. That’s saying a lot, we’re no slouch on defense either but given that we play in a pass happy conference we’ve been tested by passing offenses time and time again but in the playoffs we’ve came across two different philosophies on how to run an offense and we handled both easily until garbage time. As far as MSU goes I’ve only seen one game of them this year(vs The Griz) so I don’t have a ton of knowledge on them. I do know that they’re quick and that doesn’t bode well for us as we have below average speed on defense. I’m not saying we don’t have any speed on defense but compared to the rest of the playoff field remaining we probably have one of the slowest remaining.

technocat
December 11th, 2019, 11:14 AM
I would add - Our defense has been very effective in getting to the QB to try and disrupt the play as it is developing. The problem for the Brawl was that MSU doesn't have a QB. Most of the time, our defenders were zeroing in on the middles of the backfield while the runner slides by.

Thanks for letting Albany know this too... <slips 20 to fencer>

cats2506
December 11th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Not all AP fans are that way. I’ve been around these boards for awhile and for awhile I felt like the only AP fan on the board. My honest opinion about a potential UM vs AP matchup is that AP would struggle mightily in such a contest. While we have amazing skill players, UM has the best defense I’ve seen apart from NDSU these past few years. That’s saying a lot, we’re no slouch on defense either but given that we play in a pass happy conference we’ve been tested by passing offenses time and time again but in the playoffs we’ve came across two different philosophies on how to run an offense and we handled both easily until garbage time. As far as MSU goes I’ve only seen one game of them this year(vs The Griz) so I don’t have a ton of knowledge on them. I do know that they’re quick and that doesn’t bode well for us as we have below average speed on defense. I’m not saying we don’t have any speed on defense but compared to the rest of the playoff field remaining we probably have one of the slowest remaining.

If you have watched MSU vs um, how can you say um has the best defense you have seen apart from NDSU

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2019, 01:37 PM
That's a flattering statement, but I don't even think we have a top 3 defense in the Big Sky this year, and especially not in the last few years.

jmufan999
December 11th, 2019, 01:45 PM
i picked AP before the playoffs to win this game, and i will stick with that. i was really impressed by what they did at Sac State. i think this will be a close game. if Montana State comes out and slaps AP around, they won't get as much credit as they deserve. AP is a talented football team, i don't care if they are seeded or not.

Mike296
December 11th, 2019, 01:50 PM
That's a flattering statement, but I don't even think we have a top 3 defense in the Big Sky this year, and especially not in the last few years.

I may have over exaggerated a bit but the point is UM has a solid defense.

DirtyWater
December 11th, 2019, 02:15 PM
I don't see Montana State losing this game with the running game they have. Austin Peay better take advantage of the possessions they get, they might not get many.

MSUBobcat
December 11th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Austin Peay
beat
CS Sacramento
42-28

CS Sacramento
beat
Montana St
34-21

Bobcats also crushed SEMO 38-17 while the Govs struggled against them 28-24, scoring the go ahead touchdown with 6 minutes in the 4th. Conference games are tougher due to the familiarity.

cats2506
December 11th, 2019, 03:43 PM
i picked AP before the playoffs to win this game, and i will stick with that. i was really impressed by what they did at Sac State. i think this will be a close game. if Montana State comes out and slaps AP around, they won't get as much credit as they deserve. AP is a talented football team, i don't care if they are seeded or not.
ECB

catbob
December 11th, 2019, 03:59 PM
The Cats have had mixed success against teams with "Southern Speed" over the years, so I'm not going to so easily dismiss that claim. I think we could hang with SHSU in the 2011 and 2012 but we go ran out both games. However I do think the overall team speed is much better now than it was then for the Bobcats. Travis Jonsen has legit breakaway potential NFL speed and size, and Logan Jones has speed to burn too. Defensively is where I think we've upgraded the most. But most importantly the way we play defense mitigates speed. We harass the QB with our front 3-4, drop enough guys into coverage, don't blow overages and therefore don't get beat deep.

There's a lot of talk about other teams' defense right now - MSU's starting defense has allowed 48 total points in the last 6 games, only 6 touchdows. And only 2 of those TDs were chunk TDs:
UND 10 - 36 TD on a trick play
SUU - no points against our starters
UNC - no points against our starters
UC Davis - 4 yard TD run, 18 yard TD run
Montana - 2 yard TD run, 7 yard TD run
Albany - 58 yard TD pass

So 4 of the 6 TDs allowed were 20 yard or less rushing TDs, 1 a trick play WR/RB pass TD, and 1 (Albany) was a ridiculous catch as two Bobcat defenders took each other out.

MSU's defense is playing very well right now.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 11th, 2019, 04:54 PM

Im thinking a team that can Make MSUs QB Rovig win the game...will have success. Kid is not a gamer, and hes had basically 2 decent games this year...one being last week.

A team that can take away MSUs run game will be successful against them. Griz couldnt do it and got steamrolled by MSUs offensive line. Cats took away the Griz most valuable asset on defense which is how fast the team swarms to the ball. When MSU starts getting their gimmicky side to side runs, sweeps, reverse pass **** going..theyre going to have a day.

LetsGoPeay
December 11th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Bobcats also crushed SEMO 38-17 while the Govs struggled against them 28-24, scoring the go ahead touchdown with 6 minutes in the 4th. Conference games are tougher due to the familiarity.

I agree that conference games are tougher. Which is why the Montana fans can't act like they just "were out of position" when the Bobcats literally ran them off the field. You guys were the far superior team with better athletes. If any game on your schedule should've been a nail biter, it was your matchup with Montana . . a matchup in which you guys were 5 point underdogs. They should've known your game plan inside and out. And they did. But it didn't matter because their athletes were inferior to yours on both sides of the ball.

You guys open as -7 point favorites in the Austin Peay game, which is just about right.

LetsGoPeay
December 11th, 2019, 06:25 PM

I didn't say that Montana doesn't get athletes. I specifically said that the athletes on Montana State were superior than the athletes on Montana. Just because you have 1 or 2 standout players, doesn't mean that the entire team is up to par. The Bobcats' speed on both sides of the ball was undeniable.

LetsGoPeay
December 11th, 2019, 06:42 PM

The slowest remaining? Based on what?

The Governors have been ball hawkers all year. They've had some mental lapses ( on both sides of the ball ) that have led to some blown leads, but the defense has been that team's calling card all year. Montana State is a far worse matchup for the Govs, than Montana would be. When healthy, we have 2 of the best corners in FCS, with Bryant possibly being a NFL prospect this spring. If we had below average speed on defense, we wouldn't be in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs. Sac State would've blown us out of the water if this defense had below average speed.

Mike296
December 11th, 2019, 06:54 PM
The slowest remaining? Based on what?

The Governors have been ball hawkers all year. They've had some mental lapses ( on both sides of the ball ) that have led to some blown leads, but the defense has been that team's calling card all year. Montana State is a far worse matchup for the Govs, than Montana would be. When healthy, we have 2 of the best corners in FCS, with Bryant possibly being a NFL prospect this spring. If we had below average speed on defense, we wouldn't be in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs. Sac State would've blown us out of the water if this defense had below average speed.

You’re right our defense has been our calling card and yes they’ve been ball hawks. Does that mean that ball hawks aren’t always fast? No they’re not. If that was the case we wouldn’t have seen guys like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher be successful in the pros. I’m not saying those guys didn’t have any speed at all I’m saying that they weren’t the fastest on the field. They used their above average IQ’s to be successful. That’s what we have. Guys with phenomenal football IQ but not enough of the rest of the intangibles or else they’d be an FBS player.

catbob
December 12th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Im thinking a team that can Make MSUs QB Rovig win the game...will have success. Kid is not a gamer, and hes had basically 2 decent games this year...one being last week.

A team that can take away MSUs run game will be successful against them. Griz couldnt do it and got steamrolled by MSUs offensive line. Cats took away the Griz most valuable asset on defense which is how fast the team swarms to the ball. When MSU starts getting their gimmicky side to side runs, sweeps, reverse pass **** going..theyre going to have a day.

I think Rovig has come far enough along that taking away our run game completely is very difficult because Rovig has proven he can beat you with his arm. If it comes to needing Rovig to win the game in the 4th quarter I don't like them odds, but for example Rovig threw for 102 yards on 7/11 passing against the Griz in the 1st half, which only helped bolster the run game. It was clear early in the 3rd that UM's defense was toast so Rovig only even attempted 2 passes in the entire 2nd half.

Albany completely sold out on stuffing the run game, and they did it fairly well, but Rovig lit them up.

Rovig has thrown just 1 interception since the Sac State loss, which is 6 games and 132 passing attempts (but only 6 TDs over that span). His QB efficiency rating in the last 3 games (UC Davis, UM, Albany) is 150.59, completing 68.27% of his passes.

Rovig's late season emergency has added a new element to the offense. The best bet against the Cats probably is like you say to make Rovig beat you, but that plan loses it's luster week after week. But if you have faith in your 1 on 1 matchups on the outside, then absolutely that is your game plan, and hope your DBs are able to win those battles. MSU's WRs don't have big stats obviously but are no slouches.

MSUBobcat
December 12th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I think Rovig has come far enough along that taking away our run game completely is very difficult because Rovig has proven he can beat you with his arm. If it comes to needing Rovig to win the game in the 4th quarter I don't like them odds, but for example Rovig threw for 102 yards on 7/11 passing against the Griz in the 1st half, which only helped bolster the run game. It was clear early in the 3rd that UM's defense was toast so Rovig only even attempted 2 passes in the entire 2nd half.

Albany completely sold out on stuffing the run game, and they did it fairly well, but Rovig lit them up.

Rovig has thrown just 1 interception since the Sac State loss, which is 6 games and 132 passing attempts (but only 6 TDs over that span). His QB efficiency rating in the last 3 games (UC Davis, UM, Albany) is 150.59, completing 68.27% of his passes.

Rovig's late season emergency has added a new element to the offense. The best bet against the Cats probably is like you say to make Rovig beat you, but that plan loses it's luster week after week. But if you have faith in your 1 on 1 matchups on the outside, then absolutely that is your game plan, and hope your DBs are able to win those battles. MSU's WRs don't have big stats obviously but are no slouches.

Kassis is a pretty good receiver. Jonsen is dangerous with the ball in his hands, no matter how you get it there. McCutcheon has shown flashes of big play ability in his career, but not much utilization. Coy Steel has some wheels, as we saw in the return game last week. Not loaded at WR, but definitely some threats that will burn you if you sell out on the run.

jadmt
December 12th, 2019, 07:25 PM
I was going to go with the Cats by 14 or more but then I looked up and found Austin Peay was a Democrat and everyone knows Gallatin County votes democratic so gotta believe it will be pretty close.

cx500d
December 12th, 2019, 07:31 PM
I was going to go with the Cats by 14 or more but then I looked up and found Austin Peay was a Democrat and everyone knows Gallatin County votes democratic so gotta believe it will be pretty close.

Rather than fight each other on the playing field, I think the Cats will just buy them out.

cats2506
December 12th, 2019, 08:48 PM
Rather than fight each other on the playing field, I think the Cats will just buy them out.
I didn't know there was a buyout clause in the playoffs

fencer24
December 12th, 2019, 09:11 PM
I didn't know there was a buyout clause in the playoffs

You can't afford it.

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Austin Peay was a Democrat.
Impeach* the Cats!

*not a political post; just topical (attempted) humor...please don’t hurt me ursus.

CopperCat
December 13th, 2019, 12:40 AM

Still butthurt about that eh?

Beyond lame.

jadmt
December 13th, 2019, 09:10 AM
So I wonder if AP does what they did to Sac ST if the running joke around Bozo tomorrow morning will be "who peed in your Wheaties?" every time they run into someone wearing Cat gear.

MSUBobcat
December 13th, 2019, 09:37 AM
So I wonder if AP does what they did to Sac ST if the running joke around Bozo tomorrow morning will be "who peed in your Wheaties?" every time they run into someone wearing Cat gear.

xawesomex Comedy is not for you, my friend. Don't quit your day job. xcoffeex

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I just wish that ESPN would have figured out a way to do regional broadcasting of the games. JMU will be playing and I will watch, but I would have liked to have watched the Cats play. I know, I could stream it, but I am old and only have the technological prowess to use my remote for the TV.

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2019, 10:28 AM
I just wish that ESPN would have figured out a way to do regional broadcasting of the games. JMU will be playing and I will watch, but I would have liked to have watched the Cats play. I know, I could stream it, but I am old and only have the technological prowess to use my remote for the TV.
Do you have a smart TV?

catbob
December 13th, 2019, 11:29 AM

I assume you are posting this from a computer, so... just use that computer to watch?

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Tonight's forecast:

6 pm kickoff ( MST )

* Temperature: 27 degrees

* Precipitation: 10% chance of snow

* Wind: S 5mph

* Wind Chill: 18 - 22 degrees

I actually thought it may be worse than that. That's actually pretty good for the Govs. It got down to 23 degrees Wednesday night, so hopefully most of the guys were done with exams, and did a late night practice to simulate the frigid conditions.
Should be a great game tonight. May the best team win.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Won't be surprised at all to see Austin Peay continue their hot streak, but I think Montana State wins this. I don't think they can slow down the MSU rushing game as much as they need to win this on the road.

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Tonight's forecast:

6 pm kickoff ( MST )

I actually thought it may be worse than that. That's actually pretty good for the Govs. It got down to 23 degrees Wednesday night, so hopefully most of the guys were done with exams, and did a late night practice to simulate the frigid conditions.
Pretty lucky for you guys, actually. The record low for Bozeman on this date is -20.

MSUBobcat
December 13th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Tonight's forecast:

6 pm kickoff ( MST )

Been pretty mild this winter. Last week was a great day for football, just a base layer, long sleeve and a sweatshirt. Gonna add a fleece to it under the sweatshirt and make a game time decision. Also just got word from the ladyfriend that she somehow found a hotel this morning, so we don't have to drive back to Billings after the game. Extra adult beverages to keep me.... warm?

23 degrees... frigid conditions..... xlolxxlolx

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 01:04 PM
I assume you are posting this from a computer, so... just use that computer to watch?

I just wish they could have broken it up so that I could watch all the games on my big screen instead of having to run the laptop in the living room. ESPN sucks.

Catbooster
December 13th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Mid 30's, cloudy and slight breeze right now. But once the sun goes down it will cool off fast. Chance of snow tonight.

Bear84
December 13th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Pretty lucky for you guys, actually. The record low for Bozeman on this date is -20.

The record low for this date in Clarksville, TN is -6.

wapiti
December 13th, 2019, 02:04 PM
I heard that Austin Peay had to stay at Big Sky. On one hand what a great place to stay. On the other hand it is about a 1 hour drive from the stadium, maybe longer in the winter.

Catbooster
December 13th, 2019, 03:04 PM
I drove by the stadium about 1/2 hour ago and the first few tailgaters have started. Looks like more starting to get set up. We're headed over to set up our tailgate in an hour or so.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2019, 04:52 PM

Keep any and all poli stuff off of the FCS board going forward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I drove by the stadium about 1/2 hour ago and the first few tailgaters have started. Looks like more starting to get set up. We're headed over to set up our tailgate in an hour or so.

Have a great time! MSU had one home playoff game (Stony Brook) when I lived in Bozeman but I was back in PA for Thanksgiving. I wish I got to experience playoff football out there.

Go Bobcats!

Schism55
December 13th, 2019, 06:17 PM
https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1205642051309563905

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Good luck to the Cats. Hope you get the win tonight.

P.S. Very impressed with Austin Peay. Hope your guys make you proud too.

Go Griz! xdrunkyx

Schism55
December 13th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Cats huuuge run!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 07:08 PM
What a start for the Bobcats!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
Montana State scores right away.

LetsGoPeay
That was a great seal block by the tackle. Quick strike by the Montana State athletes.

OK Govs . . you see what you're dealing with now. Go ahead and get it back.

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 07:12 PM
That's what they do best. Get ready for a long night of it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Poor start for the AP offense.

LetsGoPeay
Definitely not the start we needed. OC needed to stick to the game plan and establish the run. Now we got to give it right back to them in good field position.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Less than 2 minutes in and AP is on their heels a bit...

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 07:17 PM
Looks like a fumble

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Ball Hawking defense. Way to get the ball back.

- - - Updated - - -

Now. Let's get this run game going.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Run the football please.

Mike296
December 13th, 2019, 07:23 PM
For the love of god RUN THE DAMN BALL!

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:27 PM
So now we're cheating. How was that defensive pass interfence?

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:31 PM
I hate when coaches get too cute. I don't like this game plan at all. We've been a downhill run team all year.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:33 PM
And it's pretty obvious that the Governors O-Line can't block those D-Ends of Montana State. Like I said . . they have athletes on both sides of the ball.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Either Montana State has a very good pass rush or AP's OL is crap at pass protection. #5 RB for AP needs to step up on his pass blocking....

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:38 PM
If the coaches don't come out running the football on the next possession, they're running the risk of this defense running out of gas by halftime. They must establish something on the ground, even if MSU scores a TD.

Don't come out passing.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Great blitz by Jackson!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 07:43 PM
10-0 Montana State

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Geez.....crappy play calling for AP...

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Absolute worst case scenario.

If they don't try to directly run the ball into the interior, just to get 2 - 4 yards on 1st down, this game will be over by halftime.

Can't keep asking the defense to hold them. They'll run out of gas.

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Did AP review the Cat Griz game and decide they could do better than the Griz by doing the exact same thing?

TheKingpin28
December 13th, 2019, 07:52 PM
I heard that Austin Peay had to stay at Big Sky. On one hand what a great place to stay. On the other hand it is about a 1 hour drive from the stadium, maybe longer in the winter.There is a chateaux up there that a group of us try to get to every 3rd year or so.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 07:56 PM
That's a great catch in college . . . an incompletion in the NFL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if he ever had it...

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Both the JMU and Montana State game is going the same way. The favorite is dominating. The underdog is fighting for their lives with good defense. The offenses are playing like dog doo doo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:04 PM
AP definitely battling hard on defense. Gotta find something on "O"...

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Craig is way off his game tonight. I still hate the fact that they're not even trying to run this ball.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 08:08 PM
They just showed a stat and to this point AP has 1 yard of offense. Good lord that's awful.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 08:09 PM
1 yard in a quarter and a half of football. How can you be that bad?

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:09 PM
What is he doing? It's ONE FREAKING YARD!! JUST HIKE IT AND RUN FORWARD YOURSELF!!

Come on Jeremiah. Don't pick tonight to choke.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 08:10 PM
They just showed a stat and to this point AP has 1 yard of offense. Good lord that's awful.

AP's play calling is horrible.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:10 PM
AP's OL appears to be getting beat pretty bad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Pretty easy to see Montana State is way more physical than AP. OVC is not a physical style of play.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:13 PM
What is he doing? It's ONE FREAKING YARD!! JUST HIKE IT AND RUN FORWARD YOURSELF!!

Come on Jeremiah. Don't pick tonight to choke.

That was a freudian slip. Jeremiah is the backup QB. Javaughn is the starter. LOL . . Jeremiah may have to play tonight.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 08:14 PM

Ask UNI

BisonBacker
The second half is going to be tough for AP. Josephus looks tired and it's not even half yet.

LetsGoPeay
Pretty easy to see Montana State is way more physical than AP. OVC is not a physical style of play.

That's false. Jacksonville State is definitely a physical team.

I fault the play calling. The defense, outside of that one big run, has been up to the challenge. The coaches obviously feel that the Govs can't run up the gut against the Bobcats. They're not even trying.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 08:15 PM
AP really screwed the pooch on that should have been INT.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2019, 08:16 PM
10 yards? Holy ****.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:16 PM
If Austin Peay can get a TD here, and hold Montana State before halftime, they will have the ball to start the 2nd half. This is a CRITICAL POSSESSION here. We need 7 . . . or at least 3.

Northern Iowa playing exactly like we are. Sucks on offense. Playing about as well as they can on defense to keep the game close.

And JMU just missed a FG right before halftime. 10 - 0 in that game too.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM
FINALLY!! HE RUNS THE FOOTBALL!!

Good Lord.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM
AP showing a little life

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 08:20 PM
Best offensive series so far for AP

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:21 PM
That was a really low hit on the QB....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 08:24 PM
That's false. Jacksonville State is definitely a physical team.

I fault the play calling. The defense, outside of that one big run, has been up to the challenge. The coaches obviously feel that the Govs can't run up the gut against the Bobcats. They're not even trying.

Oh ya, I forgot about JSU....I saw that "physical team" in person a few years ago in Frisco. You're right....xlolx

fencer24
December 13th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Good thing AP's defense is allowed a break. They have been standing with their hands on their hips and huffing away. Wait until midway through the 3rd. That's when they will give up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:28 PM
AP battling like hell. Getting points there was big....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Good thing AP's defense is allowed a break. They have been standing with their hands on their hips and huffing away. Wait until midway through the 3rd. That's when they will give up.

I think that drive and halftime might be enough to get them through. AP offense has to be better in the second half regardless. The Govs have battled well in a tough environment.

4,700 ft in the Gallatin Valley isn't so bad. My Northeast lungs fared just fine....;)

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:32 PM
10 -3 at halftime.

Considering how the offense played, and how bad the play calling was, this is the best case scenario. This game could easily be 20 - 3, if not for the overturned long pass catch, and MSU screwing themselves with a few penalties.

At least this is manageable. APSU has to try to establish that running game though, whether it be with the backs, or the QB. Once that happens, the game will open up for Wilson and Harvey on the outside.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 08:41 PM

No give up in the Govs. They might wear down, but they're not giving up.

I know of one team who gave up against the Bobcats though . . .

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 08:41 PM
Oh ya, I forgot about JSU....I saw that "physical team" in person a few years ago in Frisco. You're right....xlolx

I see your shooting fish in a barrel again LOL

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2019, 08:43 PM
No give up in the Govs. They might wear down, but they're not giving up.

I know of one team who gave up against the Bobcats though . . .
xlolx

God, this guy is insufferable.

mvfcfan
December 13th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Austin Peay is going to win. No way they don't play better on offense in the second half.

Peems
December 13th, 2019, 08:53 PM
Austin Peay is going to win. No way they don't play better on offense in the second half.

whoops

Bison Fan in NW MN

xeyebrowx

LetsGoPeay
It wasn't an inaccurate pass. It's just that Craig threw it way too hard. Should've kept running it. All they have to do is sustain drives. I hate this offensive game plan.

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Boy, that play looked familiar.

It must be because APU's players are slow.

Peems
Ifanse is a stud.

LetsGoPeay
Great tough run by their RB. Had a chance to get off the field on 2 plays. Gotta hold them to 3 now. Or get the ball back on a turnover.

mvfcfan
December 13th, 2019, 08:57 PM
whoops

It was that false hope xlolx.

Peems
Roevig on the other hand...

uofmman1122
Rovig...my man...terrible throw.

mvfcfan
December 13th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Game. Time for MT and WSU.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Great pass to the corner.

We're in trouble now. I can't expect the coaches to stay patient and try to get the run game going. They'll try to pass. And the Bobcats will pin their fur back and go right after the QB.

( sigh ) . . . just a poor game plan tonight.

We'll see if JaVaughn has a little magic left in him. He needs to run himself though.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, that play looked familiar.

It must be because APU's players are slow.

No, we were there. They ran by you guys. Our guys missed tackles.

Good luck tonight though.

mvfcfan
December 13th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Tomorrow's massacre on ESPN won't be pretty either. You know after the Redbirds leave the fans in Fargo speechless.... xsmiley_wix

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Doubt AP is coming back in this one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Tomorrow's massacre on ESPN won't be pretty either.

NDSU might have a chance.....

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Their defense is impressive. The D-Line especially can put pressure on the QB without having the linebackers to blitz.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Doubt AP is coming back in this one.

At this point, the defense almost has to score to get them back in the game. I'm disappointed that the coaches didn't start out running the football.

mvfcfan
December 13th, 2019, 09:06 PM
NDSU might have a chance.....

Maybe. I have a feeling Robinson will run for 450 yards and have around 7 rushing touchdowns. Bison might be able to score in garbage time. Probably a 42-10 game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Maybe. I have a feeling Robinson will run for 450 yards and have around 7 rushing touchdowns. Bison might be able to score in garbage time. Probably a 42-10 game.

No, the Bison will not even score...in fact they will not cross the 50 yard line....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Bobcats going for the knockout punch on this drive...

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:09 PM
That would've been the knockout blow if he throws that to the inside.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:12 PM
I like Ifanze (sp). He runs very hard and can break arm tackles.

Go ahead and start digging the grave.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Montana State back in Fargo

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 09:13 PM
What a beautiful play!!

mvfcfan
No, the Bison will not even score...in fact they will not cross the 50 yard line....

So after APSU comes back and wins who hosts next week?

LetsGoPeay
Beautiful play.

Good season Govs.

Let's close out this game with pride though. Let's put something on the board.

Chalupa Batman
Montana State back in Fargo

Defending the run game tomorrow should make good practice for next week

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Nail meet coffin

Go Lehigh TU owl
Great play call! TD Bobcats.

Montana State has been playing great football since Halloween. Choate has elevated the program well beyond what Ash was able to do imo. This might be Montana State's best team since the 80's.

LetsGoPeay
So after APSU comes back and wins who hosts next week?

LMAO.

Only if Jesus enters JaVaughn's body and starts to work miracles.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:15 PM
Defending the run game tomorrow should make good practice for next week

Tuszka is going to eat up the MSU left tackle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Beautiful play.

Good season Govs.

Let's close out this game with pride though. Let's put something on the board.

Nothing to be ashamed of for the program's first playoff performance. Having to play 3 games in a row including back-2-backs in Cali and Montana is a tall task for any team. Hopefully the AP coach stays and they're able to take build off of this. I thought they were worthy of a seed this year.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Tuszka is going to eat up the MSU left tackle.

I hope so. This years game is not going to be like last years though, we will have to bring it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Geez AP....MSU is in zone coverage almost every play....hit the inside seams and middle of the field but they keep going to the sideline....:(

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Maybe the punter should stay in the game at QB

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:21 PM
13 rushing attempts for 18 yards. 1 designed run for Craig. Baniko Harley with only 2 touches the entire game. Wilson with only 3 catches.

A complete disappointment. I have no idea what this game plan on offense was supposed to be.

LOL . . and they fake a punt and get it. The best play all game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:22 PM
I hope so. This years game is not going to be like last years though, we will have to bring it.

If NDSU isn't on their game this Montana State team is capable of beating them imo. The Bobcats are playing really good.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Wow if he makes a better throw that's a TD.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:23 PM
WTF you run the ball???

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Craig couldn't hit the broad side of a barn tonight.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:27 PM
If NDSU isn't on their game this Montana State team is capable of beating them imo. The Bobcats are playing really good.

It will be closer than 52-10 like last year but APs defense is nothing like NDSU's....not even close. MSU looks good but AP's defense is average at best.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Getting really chippy now

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Geez AP....MSU is in zone coverage almost every play....hit the inside seams and middle of the field but they keep going to the sideline....:(

It was just a bad gameplan. They killed both Furman and Sac State by attacking the middle of the field. But for some reason this game, they believed they had an advantage on the outside . . . or they knew their D-Line would dominate our O-Line.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:32 PM
MSU has over 350 total yards thru 3 quarters.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:35 PM
That's a hell of a pass by JaVaughn. And Wilson showed his speed.

Well . . there's a pulse . .

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Still some intrigue left after that strike!!

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Shot in the arm for AP. If their defense gets off the field quickly things could get interesting

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 09:38 PM
It will be closer than 52-10 like last year but APs defense is nothing like NDSU's....not even close. MSU looks good but AP's defense is average at best.
https://i.ibb.co/9y02hXX/2019-12-13-21-37-18.jpg (https://ibb.co/9y02hXX)

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:39 PM
We need a pick 6 or a fumble return for a TD.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:42 PM
https://i.ibb.co/9y02hXX/2019-12-13-21-37-18.jpg (https://ibb.co/9y02hXX)

AP's got a good FCS defense. They shutdown Furman like a legit D should, really controlled a good Sac State "O" for much of the game and have battled well tonight despite being on the field a lot. The Govs are a legit Top 10 team.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:43 PM
That's a strange 3 plays by Montana State. Why completely slow it down? Should've kept running what you were running.

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Total Plays

Montana St - 62

Austin Peay - 38

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 09:44 PM
AP's got a good FCS defense. They shutdown Furman like a legit D should, really controlled a good Sac State "O" for much of the game and have battled well tonight despite being on the field a lot. The Govs are a legit Top 10 team.

Defensive stats against a poor conference. MSU must have close to 300 yards rushing now. MSU is controlling both lines.

267 yards averaging 6.7/carry

AP has 15 yards rushing

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 09:46 PM
Total Plays

Montana St - 62

Austin Peay - 38

Your kicking UNI's ass in that department

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:53 PM
AP was a mess on 4th down. Wasted too much time deciding what to do and the players weren't on the same page...

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, roughing the punter!

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 09:54 PM
Austin Peay has to take advantage here

Edit: Aaaannnndddd they don't

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 09:55 PM
INT for the Bobcats. That should definitely do it. AP quarterback just threw it up for grabs....

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 09:58 PM
I still why they just abandoned the running game. Even with designed QB runs. They just gave completely up. Not even runs for Baniko, who has been doing it all year.

It's disappointing.

Great season though. Montana State was clearly the better team on both sides of the ball.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 13th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Defensive stats against a poor conference. MSU must have close to 300 yards rushing now. MSU is controlling both lines.

267 yards averaging 6.7/carry

AP has 15 yards rushing

MSU is definitely a very physical team. I still think AP's defense has done well to hold the Bobocats to 24 points.

BisonBacker
December 13th, 2019, 10:03 PM
What a stupid and selfish play by the AP guard who made the late hit. Dumb Dumb Dumb

uofmman1122
December 13th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Congrats to the cats!

LetsGoPeay
December 13th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Welp . . . at least we know what to recruit for the upcoming seasons

OFFENSIVE LINE

Especially to compete on this level.

Congrats to the Bobcats. Good luck against Godzilla next week.

Chalupa Batman
December 13th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Congrats to the Bobcats. Hats off to Austin Peay too, hope they can build on this and come back next year, they were fun to watch.

CopperCat
December 14th, 2019, 12:35 AM
Fantastic crowd, beautiful night at Bobcat Stadium gor football

HORRIBLE officiating, even by Big Sky standards

Craig is a dangerous player, he will be an asset for AP down the road

I hope NDSU loses by 50 tomorrow

I need another beer.

CopperCat
December 14th, 2019, 12:40 AM
One more observation:

The MSU defense is playing lights out right now.

Catbooster
December 14th, 2019, 01:10 AM
Congratulations on a great year, APSU. Making the quarterfinals only a few years after breaking that losing streak is impressive. Good luck building on this and coming back next year.

What a great night. Couldn't ask for nicer conditions on a December night. I had a great time at the game. I was afraid the attendance would be less. As usual, the playoff crowd was way more involved than the typical crowd.

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2019, 06:46 AM
So now we're cheating. How was that defensive pass interfence?

watching replay of game, that's the same thing I would like to know...... the even bigger question is why did the Ref get all crazy throwing the flag..... punk ref

kalm
December 14th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Congratulations on a great year, APSU. Making the quarterfinals only a few years after breaking that losing streak is impressive. Good luck building on this and coming back next year.

What a great night. Couldn't ask for nicer conditions on a December night. I had a great time at the game. I was afraid the attendance would be less. As usual, the playoff crowd was way more involved than the typical crowd.

Maybe it was the location or engineering of the ESPN 3 mics and streaming v regular broadcast but that crowd sounded awesome on TV.

MSUBobcat
December 14th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Maybe it was the location or engineering of the ESPN 3 mics and streaming v regular broadcast but that crowd sounded awesome on TV.

We were in the 2nd row behind AP. After a quarter or so, I realized there was a mic attached to the railing. Hopefully it didn't pick up me heckling the players a bit.... :D

Bisonator
December 14th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Congrats to the Bobcats! See you guys next weekend!xdrunkyx

profisme
December 14th, 2019, 01:37 PM
That Pollard kid was pretty chirpy all game but Whiteside gave it his all. He plays with passion. AP should be proud. That was a good game and their defense is legit.