View Full Version : Transfer Portal?

Pages : [1] 2 3

100%GRIZ
December 6th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Montana just had a player (Jesse Owens) enter the transfer portal & speculation is that he may be a walk-on in basketball at the other FCS school in Montana. Question does he really need to enter the transfer portal to be a walk-on in a different sport? Personally I don't get any player switching to a different sport, just seems logical to make that decision in High School. So do any other teams have anyone entering the Transfer Portal?

neverobeyed
December 6th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Montana just had a player (Jesse Owens) enter the transfer portal & speculation is that he may be a walk-on in basketball at the other FCS school in Montana. Question does he really need to enter the transfer portal to be a walk-on in a different sport? Personally I don't get any player switching to a different sport, just seems logical to make that decision in High School. So do any other teams have anyone entering the Transfer Portal?

Northern Iowa WR Jaylin Rima. He played three seasons at UNI (and is grandson of the UNI play-by-play announcer for UNI football and men's basketball for many years, Gary Rima). Announced it early in the season.

Redbird007
December 6th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Jacob Keller a back up Qb at Uni entered the transfer portal. I hear Jacob looking to transfer and playing college hoops is a big consideration. He had a couple of d 1 offers for basketball back in high school although he was vocal about wanting to play college football so his basketball recruitment was lite.

kdinva
December 6th, 2019, 10:36 AM
VMI: Liam Kauthen, starting ILB. This has Keydet fans shaking their heads. Could have been All SoCon next Fall.....(actually, he mentioned this to Coach Wach right before the Army game, so Coach said "good luck, turn in your gear". He didn't dress or play VMI's last 2 games).

clenz
December 6th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Jacob Keller a back up Qb at Uni entered the transfer portal. I hear Jacob looking to transfer and playing college hoops is a big consideration. He had a couple of d 1 offers for basketball back in high school although he was vocal about wanting to play college football so his basketball recruitment was lite.I've heard Horizon League schools are calling for him

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BisonTru
December 6th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Personally I don't get any player switching to a different sport, just seems logical to make that decision in High School.

I think its pretty reasonable to have a change of heart on which collegiate sport you'd like to play especially for a 17-21 yo kid/young adult.

Lorne_Malvo
December 6th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I think its pretty reasonable to have a change of heart on which collegiate sport you'd like to play especially for a 17-21 yo kid/young adult.

Typical of you. Some of us believe you live up to the commitments that you make.
This is something you would never understand though.

Sycamore62
December 6th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Typical of you. Some of us believe you live up to the commitments that you make.

The only commitment a football team makes is a 1 year scholarship

cx500d
December 6th, 2019, 01:08 PM

Good question...I don't know. Can you play 4 years in one sport, then transfer to another school (or stay in the same school for that matter) and play for more years in another sport? I guess people that want to put off working in the real world, or are going for a PHd or something could do this. Nothing preventing doing multiple sports at the same school (except coaches, season overlap, etc) in the same years. Then in this case going to another school to play a different sport, not sure why they would need the transfer portal.

uni88
December 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM

Yep. Let's hold a 18-22 y/o kid to a higher standard than an institution of higher learning or the coaches that recruit them.

cx500d
December 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM

NotTru....Ask TennBison.

BisonTru
December 6th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Kids get dropped from the program for career ending injuries. Schools switch coaches and schemes that don’t fit a kids talents and they get dropped. Never heard you cry commitment there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lorne_Malvo
December 6th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Kids get dropped from the program for career ending injuries. Schools switch coaches and schemes that don’t fit a kids talents and they get dropped. Never heard you cry commitment there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

None of that has anything to do with this topic.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Good question...I don't know. Can you play 4 years in one sport, then transfer to another school (or stay in the same school for that matter) and play for more years in another sport? I guess people that want to put off working in the real world, or are going for a PHd or something could do this. Nothing preventing doing multiple sports at the same school (except coaches, season overlap, etc) in the same years. Then in this case going to another school to play a different sport, not sure why they would need the transfer portal.
You can play 4 years in one sport using up your eligibility in that sport and then, if you never redshirted, play a 5th year in another sport even if you were never injured at all during those 5 years. NDSU had a player named Lorenzo Riley who did that. He played basketball for 4 years and then played DE for the football team for a year. He was about 6'4" IIRC and maybe about 220 as a basketball player and then bulked up a bit for football in his last year.

I seem remember an SDSU player (Tyrell Kool or Tyrell Pool or something like that) who did something similar and actually got NFL looks after playing one year of college football after 4 years of college basketball.

uni88
December 6th, 2019, 03:49 PM
None of that has anything to do with this topic.

Couple of questions based on your posts:

Why should a 18-22 y/o kid be expected to make a 4+ year commitment to a school that is making a series of 1 year commitments to them?

Shouldn't coaches be held to the same standard as the 18-22 y/o kid? For how many months did Klieman honor his commitment to NDSU after he signed a contract extension?

I agree that people should honor their commitments but I also think it's hypocritical to hold an 18-22 y/o kid to a higher standard than the coach or institution that recruited them. Plus I think that kids can make decisions that in hindsight were not the best choice. Honoring their commitment should mean sticking it out for the year not being an indentured servant for 4+ years.

ST_Lawson
December 6th, 2019, 03:53 PM
You can play 4 years in one sport using up your eligibility in that sport and then, if you never redshirted, play a 5th year in another sport even if you were never injured at all during those 5 years. NDSU had a player named Lorenzo Riley who did that. He played basketball for 4 years and then played DE for the football team for a year. He was about 6'4" IIRC and maybe about 220 as a basketball player and then bulked up a bit for football in his last year.

I seem remember an SDSU player (Tyrell Kool or Tyrell Pool or something like that) who did something similar and actually got NFL looks after playing one year of college football after 4 years of college basketball.

We had a guy do that too. Played 4 years on the basketball team, then a year of (mostly backup) TE on the football team.

As for this year, the players we're aware of who are transferring are:
LB Trey Hendon - redshirted 2016, played 12 games w/ 16 tackles in 2017, 6 games w/ 4 tackles in 2018, 8 games w/ 5 tackles in 2019
DB Darron Wheeler - played 9 games as a true freshman in 2016, 12 as a sophomore, 10 as a junior in 2018. Was injured in practice prior to this season, had leg surgery and missed all of this year.
Also, Freshmen Kahlil and Cameron Overton (twin WRs from Texas) - neither played this season

Nobody this year doing the football->another sport thing as far as I'm aware.

Tazman2664
December 6th, 2019, 04:17 PM
From the NCAA rule book:
How long will my scholarship last? The athletic scholarship you received is only good for one academic year, which is the same timeframe given for most other merit-based scholarships.

Will my scholarship rollover or be renewed? It is important to know that each scholarship is awarded by the university and not the NCAA. On July 1st of each year following the first year of college, the university must notify in writing whether the student's athletic scholarship will be renewed or reduced for the next year. In most cases it's up to the coach to decide who receives a scholarship and for how much on a yearly basis.

From an article written on scholarships:
Schools may now give out a 4-year athletic scholarship. The NCAA is in its third academic year since passing a rule giving schools the option to provide multiyear scholarships. Technically, there is no difference between a one-year scholarship and a multiyear scholarship since the same terms apply regarding how the financial aid agreement can be non-renewed.

Apparently there is so lawsuit about how scholarships were given out for 4 years some years ago and then it was discontinued. Thus, I think that is why the NCAA rule book has not been updated yet, waiting to see how the court case works out.

But it is easy for a kid to get out of their scholarship, they just say they don't want to be there and no coach is going to keep them, taking up a scholarship that they could give to someone else. Some coaches do restrict where the kid can transfer to. A college needs to notify the kid he is done, usually because of academic or character issues (see Georgetown's basketball players). Coaches and colleges have standards and if a kid doesn't live up to them the college can pull the scholarship. The kid does get a chance to protest the withdrawal but the college usually has the evidence so that usually is useless.

100%GRIZ
December 6th, 2019, 04:22 PM

Come to think of it the Griz had a 3 or 4 year Washington State baseball player named Ben Roberts (went to high school in Missoula) then played football for a year with the Griz. His brother Mitch now plays football for UM.

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Couple of questions based on your posts:

Why should a 18-22 y/o kid be expected to make a 4+ year commitment to a school that is making a series of 1 year commitments to them?

Shouldn't coaches be held to the same standard as the 18-22 y/o kid? For how many months did Klieman honor his commitment to NDSU after he signed a contract extension?

I agree that people should honor their commitments but I also think it's hypocritical to hold an 18-22 y/o kid to a higher standard than the coach or institution that recruited them. Plus I think that kids can make decisions that in hindsight were not the best choice. Honoring their commitment should mean sticking it out for the year not being an indentured servant for 4+ years.

One must remember that nobody knows what the kid is told when being recruited. We asked what would happen if I were injured and could no longer play. EVERY coach we talked to said that the scholarship was for 1 year and it would be automatically renewed even if I was injured.

Thank goodness I never had to find out if they would keep their word.

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Come to think of it the Griz had a 3 or 4 year Washington State baseball player named Ben Roberts (went to high school in Missoula) then played football for a year with the Griz. His brother Mitch now plays football for UM.
He was a stud. Wish we'd had him for 4.

WWII
December 6th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Albany had a basketball player play TE after finishing his basketball eligibility.

uni88
December 6th, 2019, 05:38 PM
One must remember that nobody knows what the kid is told when being recruited. We asked what would happen if I were injured and could no longer play. EVERY coach we talked to said that the scholarship was for 1 year and it would be automatically renewed even if I was injured.

Thank goodness I never had to find out if they would keep their word.

My questions were in response to LM's response to BT ...

Is it reasonable to expect a kid to honor a 4+ year commitment to a school?

fmftballmgr
December 6th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Murray had a guy that played 4 years of basketball then he play one year of football this year.

WestCoastAggie
December 6th, 2019, 07:59 PM
The Transfer Portal may prove to be a windfall in Aggieland.

clenz
December 6th, 2019, 08:16 PM
You get 5 years to play 4 in a single sport, but 5 years of eligibility.

UNI had WR a few years back that spent 4 years as a starting point guard for Clemson.

I also think we see some changes to the 4 game redshirt rule with the portal. I won't be shocked to see a 4 game rule if you're staying at the school you're at and like a game if you transfer

grizband
December 7th, 2019, 12:55 AM
None of that has anything to do with this topic.Please tell us about the one job you've had your entire adult life

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 12:56 AM
My questions were in response to LM's response to BT ...

Is it reasonable to expect a kid to honor a 4+ year commitment to a school?

Yes. If that is the deal he accepted and COMMITTED to.
You act like 18 year olds are children. They aren't, but society lets them act like they are.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 12:57 AM
Please tell us about the one job you've had your entire adult life

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I own my company and we have been in business for 30 years.
Try again.

kalm
December 7th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Try again.

Do you carry all that butthurt with you to work?

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Do you carry all that butthurt with you to work?

Have zero butthurt. My life is near perfect.
Maybe you should take a look in a mirror.

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2019, 11:51 AM

......YOU HAVE...UH KC KEELER BOBBLEHEAD.....xconfusedx...................BRAWK!

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 02:05 PM
......YOU HAVE...UH KC KEELER BOBBLEHEAD.....xconfusedx...................BRAWK!

I bought one but it wont fit through the door, so its out on the garage.

uni88
December 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Yes. If that is the deal he accepted and COMMITTED to.
You act like 18 year olds are children. They aren't, but society lets them act like they are.

A scholarship is essentially a contract between the athlete and the school. Contracts typically have accepted methods to break the commitment and isn't the transfer portal just an accepted method to break the scholarship commitment? How is it different from the $150,000 buyout that NDSU got for Klieman not honoring his commitment to NDSU?

I agree that 18 year olds should be treated like adults but I think it's hypocritical that they're held to a higher standard than the coaches and institutions of "higher" learning who recruited them.

uni88
December 7th, 2019, 05:44 PM
I bought one but it wont fit through the door, so its out on the garage.

True to life proportions so the head was too big? :D

kalm
December 8th, 2019, 06:48 PM

Then why make ad hominem attack and mumble something about commitments or whatever. And why offer that your life is perfect? Lots of people experience butthurt while leading near perfect lives. It’s ok...

Btw...I looked in the mirror and saw a ruggedly handsome face and less grey than I thought.

Thanks!

Now...let’s get this thread back on track...

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Then why make ad hominem attack and mumble something about commitments or whatever. And why offer that your life is perfect? Lots of people experience butthurt while leading near perfect lives. It’s ok...

Btw...I looked in the mirror and saw a ruggedly handsome face and less grey than I thought.

Thanks!

Now...let’s get this thread back on track...

You mistook your mirror for one of my windows.
Quit peeping.

kalm
December 9th, 2019, 07:14 AM
You mistook your mirror for one of my windows.
Quit peeping.

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2019, 01:15 PM

I think Scott Zannon played a year of football after he was done with his basketball and track for UM. He hadn't played football while playing bball for us at least as I remember it. That dude was pretty amazing. Also, not a transfer so probably doesn't fit here.

Sycamore62
December 9th, 2019, 02:17 PM

I assume this guy (LM) is going through giving Neg Rep to everyone who disagrees with him. That tells me all I need to know about him.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Great point.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 9th, 2019, 03:01 PM
I assume this guy (LM) is going through giving Neg Rep to everyone who disagrees with him. That tells me all I need to know about him.

I hit ya with some cover that should eat up at least 20 to 30 neg reps so you're covered. xlolx

Lorne_Malvo
December 9th, 2019, 03:06 PM

You talking about me? If so, its pretty rare that I neg rep anyone. If I gave it to you, you deserved it.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2019, 03:10 PM
You talking about me? If so, its pretty rare that I neg rep anyone. If I gave it to you, you deserved it.
For pointing out the fact that a school only makes a 1 year scholarship commitment to a kid? That's the only post he's made ITT. Might be time to take a break sweet cheeks.

Lorne_Malvo
December 9th, 2019, 03:19 PM
For pointing out the fact that a school only makes a 1 year scholarship commitment to a kid? That's the only post he's made ITT. Might be time to take a break sweet cheeks.
Yeah I dont think so. You aint my type, so stop with the flattery.

MSUBobcat
December 9th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Someone is giving out neg rep?!?! That should be exceedingly rare, reserved for only personal shots at mothers and wives, and maybe not even then. It's an anonymous message board. Get thicker skin or GTFO. What a douche canoe.

kalm
December 9th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Someone is giving out neg rep?!?! That should be exceedingly rare, reserved for only personal shots at mothers and wives, and maybe not even then. It's an anonymous message board. Get thicker skin or GTFO. What a douche canoe.

I still don’t even understand or know how to give reps of any sort. I occasionally get these notifications of somebody saying something nice to me and I’m like “Cool! Wish I knew how to respond and say thanks, Mr. Internet friend!”

MSUBobcat
December 9th, 2019, 04:05 PM
I still don’t even understand or know how to give reps of any sort. I occasionally get these notifications of somebody saying something nice to me and I’m like “Cool! Wish I knew how to respond and say thanks, Mr. Internet friend!”

Click on the little star at the bottom left of the person's post next to the triangle with an ! You can then select "I approve" which is positive rep or "I disapprove" which tells the recipient that you have a droopy pussy.

Evolution Prime
December 9th, 2019, 04:37 PM

It was Dale Moss. Played basketball during our dark years as an independent, came to the football team after basketball and played really well. Led the team with 61 catches for 949 yards and had 6 touchdowns in his only year. Would have really been nice to have him on the team longer than that. Ended up being signed by the Packers and floated around for a couple years as a practice squad member of several teams, the last being the Bears. He is now a model.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Clearly.

Prime Power
December 9th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Try again.

What is your company so I can avoid it like the plague and make sure everyone I know does too.

MSUBobcat
December 9th, 2019, 05:44 PM
What is your company so I can avoid it like the plague and make sure everyone I know does too.

Uh oh! You've got some neg rep speeding toward your inbox!

I'm gonna guess it's some kind of "honey-do" handyman? Jack of all trades, master of none? Run out of the garage with a 1996 Chevy truck with a decal on the side? How's my aim?

Prime Power
December 9th, 2019, 05:48 PM

I'm gonna guess it's some kind of "honey-do" handyman? Jack of all trades, master of none? Run out of the garage with a 1996 Chevy truck with a decal on the side? How's my aim?

I made a commitment to serve my country. I didn't join until I was 24, because well I was a dumb kid. It took me 6 years to figure out what I wanted to do. These kids should be able to change their minds without any repercussions. Yes, an 18 year old is a kid. I am a man...I am 40!!!

Lorne_Malvo
December 9th, 2019, 05:49 PM

You are not my customer base.

cx500d
December 9th, 2019, 05:58 PM

Chuck in a Truck?

JayJ79
December 9th, 2019, 06:11 PM
When someone chooses to put their name in the transfer portal, are they automatically essentially booted off their current team?
Or are they allowed to "test the waters" if they want to?

I mean if a coach (still under contract with a school) takes an interview with another school that is shopping for a head coach, does that invalidate their current contract?

JALMOND
December 9th, 2019, 06:40 PM
So do any other teams have anyone entering the Transfer Portal?

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2019/12/korbin-sorensen-portland-state-vikings-graduate-transfer-commits-to-oregon-state-beavers.html

Not sure if it is what you are getting at, but Korbin Sourensen, PSU OL is transferring to Oregon State. We were afraid he was going to transfer to Idaho.

clenz
December 9th, 2019, 07:31 PM
When someone chooses to put their name in the transfer portal, are they automatically essentially booted off their current team?
Or are they allowed to "test the waters" if they want to?

I mean if a coach (still under contract with a school) takes an interview with another school that is shopping for a head coach, does that invalidate their current contract?Still on team. Still enrolled in school

Entering the portal doesn't even mean you will actually transfer

Keller was dressed out for UNI on Saturday

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2019, 08:24 PM

To be honest, most of us are shocked every day that you even know how to access this site. Then even more shocked you've managed to both create an account and figure out how to log in correctly. So, don't feel bad about not knowing how to rep. We're simply impressed you've found your way here.

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2019, 08:35 PM

Not FCS, but there was a guy who played three years for Gonzaga basketball (Demetri Goodson). Then he transferred over to Baylor for football, which resulted in him getting drafted and playing a few seasons in the NFL. He had a quote somewhere along the lines of, "Started to think about my future. There's only 2 rounds in the NBA draft and 7 in the NFL."

These young adults change majors all the time, but when they want to change a sport or try new scenery, all of a sudden it's like they have committed a crime.

Sycamore62
December 10th, 2019, 08:29 AM

I have to apologize to Lorne_Malvo. He was not the negative rep and I accept whatever comes my way because of it. The neg rep was someone else who I hadnt noticed. For some reason instead of looking at the name, I clicked to see what I could have written that was worthy of the rep and it was on a quote reply to his post, I assume that's how I made the mistake. Once again please accept my humble apology.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 10th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Do you guys have a FCS transfer portal site or who can you access FCS players from this FBS porta site - https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

100%GRIZ
December 10th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Do you guys have a FCS transfer portal or who can you access FCS players from this FBS portal- https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/
Interesting - did see a couple FBS to FCS on that site!

ngineer
December 11th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Lehigh has had a DB enter the portal and shortly thereafter he tweeted that he's going to Oklahoma State as a PWO. I hope it works for him. He had a great opportunity in front of him.

Anthony215
December 12th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Lehigh has had a DB enter the portal and shortly thereafter he tweeted that he's going to Oklahoma State as a PWO. I hope it works for him. He had a great opportunity in front of him.

That's a huge step up for him to go from Patriot League to Big 12. I'm assuming he's on scholarship right now at Lehigh so that tuition bill next year at OKSU will be pretty hefty too I suppose unless they're gifting him some academic money to lower his bill. Best of luck to him I hope it works out well for him. It's been a few kids who have decided to take the leap of faith from FCS to FBS (Maine's Josh Mack left to go to Liberty and finished as the 2nd leader rusher this season helping them make their first Bowl Game appearance) and Maine's current QB Chris Ferguson just entered the portal to transfer up to the FBS level preferably a P5 school.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Once you are enrolled the NCAA clock starts: you have five years to play sports. This accounts for a redshirt or even a transfer year. Anything else requires a waiver.

ST_Lawson
December 12th, 2019, 09:35 PM
Not directly FCS, but I'd imagine at least a few of these guys will end up at FCS schools. Apparently players at UConn are scrambling...19 currently in the portal looking for a way out.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1205157319153242115

clenz
December 12th, 2019, 10:07 PM
UConn and football are at a fork in the road that even nmsu is going "holy ****, you're ****ed" at

JayJ79
December 12th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Not directly FCS, but I'd imagine at least a few of these guys will end up at FCS schools. Apparently players at UConn are scrambling...19 currently in the portal looking for a way out.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1205157319153242115

so they're changing the name from UConn to IGonn?

Cocky
December 13th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Does anyone have a copy of a scholarship you could post? Or is there a link to one?
Or Ill ask, are there any out clauses? Is the possibility of transfer mentioned? The guys may not be breaking any commitment just playing within the rules.

There should be no limits on transfers. A player should be able to go to any school of their choosing. May not mid season but even that not a big deal to me ( not sure how your classwork could be completed).

There is near no loyalty in college athletics between coaches, universities or players.

dewey
December 13th, 2019, 07:48 AM
so they're changing the name from UConn to IGonn?LOL!

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191213/4d3e886ce1b78b27b187555874bb8a01.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
December 13th, 2019, 08:48 AM
UConn and football are at a fork in the road that even nmsu is going "holy ****, you're ****ed" at

As Yogi Berra once said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

JayJ79
December 13th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Does anyone have a copy of a scholarship you could post? Or is there a link to one?
Or Ill ask, are there any out clauses? Is the possibility of transfer mentioned? The guys may not be breaking any commitment just playing within the rules.

There should be no limits on transfers. A player should be able to go to any school of their choosing. May not mid season but even that not a big deal to me ( not sure how your classwork could be completed).

There is near no loyalty in college athletics between coaches, universities or players.
If the scholarship is on a year-to-year basis, then I'd agree.

But what is the point of having multi-year scholarships if the athlete is free to leave with no restrictions?
I'm not saying that a kid should be forced to play somewhere he no longer wants to be, as that isn't good for anyone.
But I see nothing wrong with stipulations in the scholarship agreement, like no transferring to a conference rival or something.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2019, 09:46 AM

I dont ever recall anything other than signing a NLI. of course that was 26 years ago

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 10:05 AM
I dont ever recall anything other than signing a NLI. of course that was 26 years ago
Yeah...I'm not sure there is actually a contract you sign other than a financial aid package that states your tuition is covered by an athletic scholarship.

Even if the school give a multi year scholarship it's just them promising to offer that financial aid package for multiple years. I don't think there is actually anything legally holding them to that even.

Anthony215
December 13th, 2019, 10:27 AM
UConn is a dumpster fire right now, anyone who thinks they will be better off as an independent rather than the AAC is brain dead. They'll get occasional P5 teams to play at UConn but that will be blood bath games. ND will never come to UConn as they have no reason to schedule a game there. They would be better off taking their programs to the Big East and dropping down to FCS football maybe asking the CAA for an invite....

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 10:35 AM
UConn is a dumpster fire right now, anyone who thinks they will be better off as an independent rather than the AAC is brain dead. They'll get occasional P5 teams to play at UConn but that will be blood bath games. ND will never come to UConn as they have no reason to schedule a game there. They would be better off taking their programs to the Big East and dropping down to FCS football maybe asking the CAA for an invite....
Is it a situation where if UCONN drops we might see UMASS follow suit and a new NE conference is created with the CAA and NEC shaking up?

ST_Lawson
December 13th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Is it a situation where if UCONN drops we might see UMASS follow suit and a new NE conference is created with the CAA and NEC shaking up?

I think it's a situation where we are likely to see UConn (and possibly UMass) completely drop football within 4-5 years. From everything I've heard, they're not willing to go the Idaho route and move back down, even though that'd probably be the best situation for them.

clenz
December 13th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I think it's a situation where we are likely to see UConn (and possibly UMass) completely drop football within 4-5 years. From everything I've heard, they're not willing to go the Idaho route and move back down, even though that'd probably be the best situation for them.
I'd also think that is likely more so than going FCS.

They would be the first big study for other athletic departments to look at being a larger public school and what happens if football goes away. Everywhere we've seen it dropped has been smaller and/or private schools.

Wildcat1997
December 13th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Abilene Christian QB Luke Anthony is transferring. He was the 2018 Southland conference student athlete of the year and threw for 2500 yards and 17 touchdowns this year. The rumor is he will likely transfer to an Ivy league school. We had an interesting situation with him because no matter how good he played there were always naysayers that said he got the job because his family donated a ton of money to ACU and got their name on our football stadium. I didn't and still don't believe it but it was there.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Abilene Christian QB Luke Anthony is transferring. He was the 2018 Southland conference student athlete of the year and threw for 2500 yards and 17 touchdowns this year. The rumor is he will likely transfer to an Ivy league school. We had an interesting situation with him because no matter how good he played there were always naysayers that said he got the job because his family donated a ton of money to ACU and got their name on our football stadium. I didn't and still don't believe it but it was there.

I wish someone would donate a boatload of money to ISUb to get their son on the field to pass for 2500 yards and 17 touchdowns

Milktruck74
December 13th, 2019, 05:56 PM
I have mixed feeling s about the whole portal thing. I transferred from a D3 school to Chattanooga and earned my scholly after a semester. So I understand getting out of a situation that isn't right for you....But the other side of me asks, "Do kids just not like competition these days?" Really stick around and WIN the spot!!!! I transferred up because I thought I was good enough and wanted to find out. I entered the portal (even though there wasnt one back in the dark ages) because I WANTED TO COMPETE, not to avoid it!!!!

Cocky
December 14th, 2019, 08:03 AM
I have mixed feeling s about the whole portal thing. I transferred from a D3 school to Chattanooga and earned my scholly after a semester. So I understand getting out of a situation that isn't right for you....But the other side of me asks, "Do kids just not like competition these days?" Really stick around and WIN the spot!!!! I transferred up because I thought I was good enough and wanted to find out. I entered the portal (even though there wasnt one back in the dark ages) because I WANTED TO COMPETE, not to avoid it!!!!

There is more Daddy (friend or recruit) ball in high school than ever before. Sure these kids expect to be placed in a position because they were recruited like their HS coach did.

Wildcat1997
December 14th, 2019, 03:03 PM
And Abilene Christian has a 2nd QB transfer in as many days. Our 3rd string QB Cole Klayman will seek a grad transfer. Now all we have left is Sema'J Davis, who is much more of a runner than passer, Andrew Stripling, who will be a redshirt freshman next year and didn't see the field this past season and Stone Earle, a 2020 recruit that will be a true freshman. I'm sure our staff is looking at drop downs and JUCOs.

kdinva
December 14th, 2019, 03:09 PM
VMI back up DB Tamar Teagle leaving, didn't like the day to day discipline, etc.

Wildcat1997
December 15th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Former Boise State WR Dk Blaylock has transferred to Abilene Christian. He'll have 4 years left to play.

SFA 93
December 15th, 2019, 08:18 PM
SFA got UT QB

Sam Saxton 6-5; 195 Austin, Texas (St. Michael's Academy/Texas) R/Fr.

Will have all 4 years.

SFA offered him in 2018

Derby City Duke
December 16th, 2019, 08:04 AM
JMU WR Ezrah Archie announced last weekend that he will transfer. 18 catches for 143 yard and 1 TD in 16 games (2017-18). Has not played this year.

WestCoastAggie
December 16th, 2019, 08:26 AM
A&T landed this DC kid who's transferring from Pitt:

https://twitter.com/DeRealHoudini/status/1206033730390953984

Apparently, JMU was in the running but decided to land in Aggieland instead. I'm happy as we're gonna need a loaded backfield to have ANY chance in keeping games close in Fargo and against FBS Liberty in 2020.

clenz
December 16th, 2019, 09:27 AM
UNI WR Jalen James entered the portal after week 4 - announced he's going to Albany as a grad transfer

JayJ79
December 16th, 2019, 11:10 AM
UNI WR Jalen James entered the portal after week 4 - announced he's going to Albany as a grad transfer

Jaylin James was a senior this year, and has exhausted his eligibility. Jalen Rima is the one you're referring to, I'm guessing

clenz
December 16th, 2019, 11:29 AM
Jaylin James was a senior this year, and has exhausted his eligibility. Jalen Rima is the one you're referring to, I'm guessing
Yeah...I've put Rima so far out of my mind I typed the wrong name.

I was also watching the "thank you" tweet James sent as I was typing that message.

SFA 93
December 17th, 2019, 02:29 PM
SFA gets

LB: Day Day Coleman 6-2; 220 (R/Fr.) Mesquite, Texas (West) from the University of Arizona

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 20th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Maine signed Elijah Barnwell RB from Rutgers as well as 7 other early signees, surprised there was no post for early signings- https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/12/18/football-announces-eight-newcomers-during-early-signing-period.aspx

BEAR
December 20th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Former Boise State WR Dk Blaylock has transferred to Abilene Christian. He'll have 4 years left to play.

Um, with only a running QB on your roster, who does he think will throw him the ball? xlolx

WestCoastAggie
January 20th, 2020, 07:57 PM
I figured I'd bump this as the portal is resulting in some quality players landing in FCS schools.

FormerPokeCenter
January 20th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Looks like Nicholls did well....

Catatonic
January 21st, 2020, 06:02 AM
Um, with only a running QB on your roster, who does he think will throw him the ball? xlolx

Former Iowa QB Peyton Mansell has transferred time ACU.

Catatonic
January 21st, 2020, 07:05 AM
ACU is loading up on FBS transfers this year

Abilene Christian FBS to FCS transfers

Peyton Mansell (QB)Iowa
DK Blaylock (WR) Boise State
Chike Nwankwo (LB) Rutgers
Triston Anderson (CB) Arkansas State
Jordan Paup (LB/DE)Nebraska
Dax Neece (WR) Texas Tech

100%GRIZ
January 21st, 2020, 08:49 AM
Griz got 2 Oregon State defensive backs - Omar Hicks & Trajon Cotton.

Redbird 4th & short
January 21st, 2020, 09:51 AM
ISUr picked up 3 star FBS transfer from Tennessee .. played HS in FL. We believe he will be a JR again next fall. Not sure if he fell out of favor or was injured/banged up, but he played in 7 games as true FR and then just 1 game as true JR .. which is why we think he will be RS JR at ISUr.

Our defense returns 9 of 11 starters, including 3 of 4 at LB .. but we lost 1 starter and 3 key reserves who played nearly as much as starters, plus a 4th who didn't play a lot, except on special teams .. so our LB depth (went 7 deep) took a big hit to graduation. So we need this guy to shore up our 2 deep at LB.

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 21st, 2020, 10:15 AM
Maine signed Jalen Jordan a 6'5" WR from Rutgers and Dorian Royal a 6'4" 260 DL from Quebec City.

Redbird 4th & short
January 21st, 2020, 11:35 AM
Maine signed Jalen Jordan a 6'5" WR from Rutgers and Dorian Royal a 6'4" 260 DL from Quebec City.

Maine might be better than Rutgers ... 2018 Maine anyways.

WestCoastAggie
January 21st, 2020, 12:29 PM
A&T picked up 5 so far.

1. Robert Porcher IV - DT (Va. Tech) 3 Star
2. DJ Clossen - DB/S (Pitt) 2/3 Star
3. Mychale Salahuddin - RB/DB (Pitt) 4Star RB
4. Tagg Bullock - DE/OLB (ECU) 3 Star
5. MJ Frazier Jr - TE (Kent State/Juco)

wapiti
January 21st, 2020, 01:36 PM
QB Matt McKay from NC State to MSU

WestCoastAggie
January 21st, 2020, 02:13 PM
A&T picked up 5 so far.

We also had a few FCS transfers that sat out in 2019 that will be in spring practice. This includes a LB/Rover from Jacksonville State and a RB from ISUb.

kdinva
January 21st, 2020, 05:45 PM
A&T picked up 5 so far.

Porcher might be a game-changer....

Schism55
January 22nd, 2020, 12:21 AM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1219856827380224000

Catatonic
January 22nd, 2020, 06:10 AM
Does your school build potential future FBS transfers into its recruiting strategy? Abilene Christian has done so by offering guys who realistically are more likely to sign with FBS programs in the hope that if things don’t work out they will recall our interest in them when they were in high school. We’d sign them in a heartbeat out of high school of course but there is a fair chance we won’t get them on the first go round... but if we can get them on campus it puts us in good shape down the road. This is particularly so for Texas guys who sign with out of state schools and want to rebound to a school closer to home.

About half of our FBS to FCS transfers were players we offered out of high school, including three star athletes Peyton Mansell and DK Blaylock.

Do other schools have a similar strategy?

PaladinNation
January 22nd, 2020, 06:50 AM
Do other schools have a similar strategy? For Furman under Hendrix this appears to be the only transfers Furman is interested in.
Last season Furman picked up Luke Shiflett and Clark Daniel. Shiflett was a 3-star QB offered by Furman in HS but chose MTSU. Daniel was one of the last players Hendrix recruited at Air Force.

For the 2020 class Furman has gotten a transfer that was at the top of their recruiting board at WR for 2019. Noah Henderson played for Furman alum Ingle Martin and was a high-level 3 star that was holding out for a power 5 offer (Stanford) that didn't come. He played this last season at Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/noah_henderson4/status/1076691466104332290

https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2020/1/15/football-furman-adds-transfer-receiver.aspx

Professor Chaos
January 22nd, 2020, 07:27 AM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1219856827380224000
This is a head-scratcher. It's not like he's been that good over the last two years to attract P5 interest but he's been good enough to solidify himself as the starter. Wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes there that prompted this decision for him? It'll be interesting to see where he lands.

FormerPokeCenter
January 22nd, 2020, 08:14 AM
Does your school build potential future FBS transfers into its recruiting strategy? Abilene Christian has done so by offering guys who realistically are more likely to sign with FBS programs in the hope that if things don’t work out they will recall our interest in them when they were in high school. We’d sign them in a heartbeat out of high school of course but there is a fair chance we won’t get them on the first go round... but if we can get them on campus it puts us in good shape down the road. This is particularly so for Texas guys who sign with out of state schools and want to rebound to a school closer to home.

About half of our FBS to FCS transfers were players we offered out of high school, including three star athletes Peyton Mansell and DK Blaylock.

Do other schools have a similar strategy?

Once upon a time, McNeese would only take limited eligibility FBS transfers if they'd offered them in HS. If a kid had three years left, that might have been a different story.

Famously, when Tyran Matthieu - fresh off of finishing in the top 4 in Heisman voting - exhausted his last opportunity at LSU, he loaded up his vehicle and showed up at McNeese that afternoon. Matt Viator chatted with him, but told him to go home, consider ALL his options and only come back if he understood that he'd be asked to play in McNeese's existing 4-2-5 scheme where he wouldn't have free reign to freelance, was willing to come in and work hard, subject himself to random drug screens, existing team rules, close scrutiny and agree that there would be a zero tolerance substance abuse policy.

Matthieu decided to stay in BR, go through rehab and resume classes. It seems to have worked out for him. But, it doesn't take much imagination to conceptualize a lot of other FCS coaches latching on to him with little thought...

Redbird 4th & short
January 22nd, 2020, 08:36 AM
Once upon a time, McNeese would only take limited eligibility FBS transfers if they'd offered them in HS. If a kid had three years left, that might have been a different story.

Famously, when Tyran Matthieu - fresh off of finishing in the top 4 in Heisman voting - exhausted his last opportunity at LSU, he loaded up his vehicle and showed up at McNeese that afternoon. Matt Viator chatted with him, but told him to go home, consider ALL his options and only come back if he understood that he'd be asked to play in McNeese's existing 4-2-5 scheme where he wouldn't have free reign to freelance, was willing to come in and work hard, subject himself to random drug screens, existing team rules, close scrutiny and agree that there would be a zero tolerance substance abuse policy.

Matthieu decided to stay in BR, go through rehab and resume classes. It seems to have worked out for him. But, it doesn't take much imagination to conceptualize a lot of other FCS coaches latching on to him with little thought...
ISUr did very similar thing with Auburn RB stud Michael Dyer after 2 standout years at Auburn, for what would have been his JR season in 2012 .. Spack had him in his office asking to transfer to ISU and Spack said no. I can't recall if it was before or after the nonsense that went on at Arkansas St, where he actually transfered following an Auburn asst coach who took a job there. That was a year our RB depth was pretty thin to start the year and we limped into playoffs with an injury depleted RB group, yet still made quarters.

MSUBobcat
January 22nd, 2020, 10:25 AM
This is a head-scratcher. It's not like he's been that good over the last two years to attract P5 interest but he's been good enough to solidify himself as the starter. Wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes there that prompted this decision for him? It'll be interesting to see where he lands.

My thoughts exactly. 2,200 yards/season average and a paltry 1.5:1 TD to INT ratio?? MSU was FAAAAAAAAR from a good passing team, but combined for 2,527 yards and a 4:1 TD to INT ratio (20TD vs 5 INT). Rovig by himself, after taking over after the first few games were started by Bauman, had arguably better stats (1,969 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT; 254 less yards but 5 less INT) than Constantine and Rovig doesn't put the fear of god in anyone, much less P5 schools. Probably not even G5 schools.

BEAR
January 22nd, 2020, 11:09 AM
Is there a website that we can see only team specific transfers? In other words if I wanted to see if UCA had any from the transfer portal. I found a website that lists numerous transfers that you can sort by FBS school but not FCS. Much appreciated !

BEAR
January 22nd, 2020, 11:31 AM
ISUr did very similar thing with Auburn RB stud Michael Dyer after 2 standout years at Auburn, for what would have been his JR season in 2012 .. Spack had him in his office asking to transfer to ISU and Spack said no. I can't recall if it was before or after the nonsense that went on at Arkansas St, where he actually transfered following an Auburn asst coach who took a job there. That was a year our RB depth was pretty thin to start the year and we limped into playoffs with an injury depleted RB group, yet still made quarters.

Michael's uncle Andre Dyer played at UCA as a DB in the early 1990s when we won our NAIA national championship. Family of athletes. I think I recall after his stint at Astate that he was looking to transfer to the IAA or FCS and rumors abound in this state. Everything from UCA to Pitsburg St. in D2. Kid went to multiple schools. Heck of an athlete. Too many problems.

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2020, 11:58 AM
The idea that an FCS school would be happy to take any FBS transfer no questions asked just isn't realistic.

Redbird 4th & short
January 22nd, 2020, 12:03 PM
Michael's uncle Andre Dyer played at UCA as a DB in the early 1990s when we won our NAIA national championship. Family of athletes. I think I recall after his stint at Astate that he was looking to transfer to the IAA or FCS and rumors abound in this state. Everything from UCA to Pitsburg St. in D2. Kid went to multiple schools. Heck of an athlete. Too many problems.

I just noticed he landed at Louisville and pretty much learned to fit in, though struggled with some injuries, so didn't get a lot of reps .. had like 450 rush yards his SR .. but then was ruled academically ineligible for the Bowl Game. But his stock dropped a lot from his SO Auburn season and NFL scouts were very skeptical 3 years later. Still good to hear he got his sh-t together at Louisville, even if his NFL dreams were lost.

PAllen
January 22nd, 2020, 01:28 PM
I just noticed he landed at Louisville and pretty much learned to fit in, though struggled with some injuries, so didn't get a lot of reps .. had like 450 rush yards his SR .. but then was ruled academically ineligible for the Bowl Game. But his stock dropped a lot from his SO Auburn season and NFL scouts were very skeptical 3 years later. Still good to hear he got his sh-t together at Louisville, even if his NFL dreams were lost.

Did he really get it together if he was academically ineligible at Louisville?

Redbird 4th & short
January 22nd, 2020, 01:49 PM
Did he really get it together if he was academically ineligible at Louisville?
it's a relative statement .. dude was a toxic hot mess before he got to Louisville. I'm guessing many programs (not just ISUr) also turned him down. But yes, he didn't completely get his act together or he would have stayed eligible his entire 2 years at Louisville.

BEAR
January 22nd, 2020, 01:58 PM

Yeah he had a short run with the NFL then the CFL if I recall. He made pretty good money so good for the kid. The state of Arkansas has put out some amazing coaches and running backs in the past. HIm, McFadden, some famous coach at Alabama etc...xlolx

McNeese72
January 22nd, 2020, 02:35 PM
Is there a website that we can see only team specific transfers? In other words if I wanted to see if UCA had any from the transfer portal. I found a website that lists numerous transfers that you can sort by FBS school but not FCS. Much appreciated !

I was searching for one and asking some of my friends about this a couple of days ago but so far no one has found one.

Doc

bonarae
January 22nd, 2020, 08:47 PM
I am also wondering how many ex-Jacksonville players are still in the portal or have already signed offers with other FCS or FBS or even D-II. A PFL fan listed their most significant names in another thread here...

Anthony215
January 23rd, 2020, 07:28 AM
The only issue i have with the transfer portal is when guys transfer up a division like TJ Holl who went from AA LB at Colgate to special teams at Louisville. He could have went to probably a AAC school like Temple/Cincinnati and earned more PT if he just wanted to experience playing in a Bowl Game or stayed in FCS and went to a top tier CAA school if he wanted a fair shot at winning in the playoffs. Those 3 years of film at Colgate were enough to garner scout attention but having to ride the pine in year 4 and not see many defensive snaps probably won't enhance his pro opportunities.

WestCoastAggie
January 23rd, 2020, 08:33 AM
In the MEAC, it looks like an Arms' race as A&T AND FAMU are racking up the transfers.

100%GRIZ
January 23rd, 2020, 09:42 AM
Montana's defensive end Ryder Rice was also a transfer from NAIA's Frontier Conference - Rocky.

lionsrking2
January 23rd, 2020, 10:14 AM
The only issue i have with the transfer portal is when guys transfer up a division like TJ Holl who went from AA LB at Colgate to special teams at Louisville. He could have went to probably a AAC school like Temple/Cincinnati and earned more PT if he just wanted to experience playing in a Bowl Game or stayed in FCS and went to a top tier CAA school if he wanted a fair shot at winning in the playoffs. Those 3 years of film at Colgate were enough to garner scout attention but having to ride the pine in year 4 and not see many defensive snaps probably won't enhance his pro opportunities.

I don't know Holl's situation but could be that Louisville had a grad program he was interested or maybe he wanted to try his hand in a "power conference." If the portal enhanced those possibilities, then it's a good thing. I'm not for full-scale, unrestricted transfer rules, but if upward transfers are allowed under certain conditions, I'm all for a way to expand options. It's up the student-athlete to make decisions based on their personal situation.

cx500d
January 23rd, 2020, 04:26 PM
In the MEAC, it looks like an Arms' race as A&T AND FAMU are racking up the transfers.

Congrats on building your programs from the ground floor.

WestCoastAggie
January 23rd, 2020, 08:21 PM
Congrats on building your programs from the ground floor.

Why thank you.

Schism55
February 7th, 2020, 05:57 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1225910961850212358

cx500d
February 7th, 2020, 06:54 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1225910961850212358
my oh my

caribbeanhen
February 8th, 2020, 07:15 AM
I was searching for one and asking some of my friends about this a couple of days ago but so far no one has found one.

Doc

I feel better I'm not the only one that has no clue where this transfer portal is.....

JayJ79
February 8th, 2020, 07:44 AM
for some reason, I was under the impression that the general public wasn't supposed to have access to the portal.
obviously that's not going to keep everyone out, given the number of people that have legitimate reason to have access, there are bound to be some that let their login credentials get into the wrong hands.
But that could be the reason why there isn't easy access that the average joe schmo fan can just pull up.

Or I could be misremembering things again

cx500d
February 8th, 2020, 08:53 AM
I feel better I'm not the only one that has no clue where this transfer portal is.....
It’s inside a pylon, and you have to arrange some crystals to make it work before the sleestacks find you

ST_Lawson
February 8th, 2020, 02:17 PM
for some reason, I was under the impression that the general public wasn't supposed to have access to the portal.
obviously that's not going to keep everyone out, given the number of people that have legitimate reason to have access, there are bound to be some that let their login credentials get into the wrong hands.
But that could be the reason why there isn't easy access that the average joe schmo fan can just pull up.

Or I could be misremembering things again

You are correct. It's something that, I think, only NCAA institution coaching staffs have access to, but there are plenty of leaks. Essentially it acts as a "clearinghouse" where athletes looking to transfer put their info into it, and then coaches looking for transfer players can search through and find the type of player(s) they're looking for. It makes making that "connection" much easier. Like I said, it's supposed to be locked down so that only approved people can view who's in there, but you'll often see players post on social media that they've entered the transfer portal and are looking for schools.

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 10th, 2020, 06:55 AM
Here is a link for the Portal, I posted it back on page 7, seems pretty accurate and rates players and also shows if they have signed with other schools or not. I thought there might be a separate Portal for FCS but I don't think that is the case.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Fo...ransferPortal/ (https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/)

McNeese72
February 10th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Here is a link for the Portal, I posted it back on page 7, seems pretty accurate and rates players and also shows if they have signed with other schools or not. I thought there might be a separate Portal for FCS but I don't think that is the case.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Fo...ransferPortal/ (https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/)

I have seen that and I don't think that is the true transfer portal. And that doesn't show the FCS teams in it.

Doc

clenz
February 10th, 2020, 07:59 AM
It isn't the true portal - though for FBS teams it is about 100%

If you don't have a 247 team page - 98% of the FCS - you aren't going to be listed.

ysubigred
February 10th, 2020, 09:42 AM
It isn't the true portal - though for FBS teams it is about 100%

If you don't have a 247 team page - 98% of the FCS - you aren't going to be listed.

Pretty accurate for Y-Town,, 1 Reed out and 2 in from Bowling Green.

Schism55
February 17th, 2020, 05:40 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1229548623169556480

Daytripper
February 17th, 2020, 07:10 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1229548623169556480

The writing was on the wall. Schmid will be the starting QB this year and we picked up a JC transfer with a similar skill set to Schmid as a backup. Brock is a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. I wish him well wherever he goes.

bonarae
February 17th, 2020, 11:08 PM
Jacksonville players now in new schools:

Calvin Turner Jr. - WR for the Hawaii Warriors (per Twitter profile, announced last December 2019)
BJ Byrd - WR for the Morehead State Eagles (MSU athletics press release, February 5) - along with him came teammates Harrison Cohen (WR), Nick Lavender (DL), Cody Russell (RB).

Any other PFL fans who can point to new schools for some other ex-Dolphins?

Last Dolphins in the all-PFL team who were non-seniors and have no transfer news from Twitter: Garnett Nicolas (FB), Dane Cordell (OL), Andrew Flanagan (OL), Hunter Folsom (OL), Ethan Hull (LB)

FUBeAR
February 18th, 2020, 04:48 AM
Jacksonville players now in new schools:

Calvin Turner Jr. - WR for the Hawaii Warriors (per Twitter profile, announced last December 2019)
BJ Byrd - WR for the Morehead State Eagles (MSU athletics press release, February 5) - along with him came teammates Harrison Cohen (WR), Nick Lavender (DL), Cody Russell (RB).

Any other PFL fans who can point to new schools for some other ex-Dolphins?

Last Dolphins in the all-PFL team who were non-seniors and have no transfer news from Twitter: Garnett Nicolas (FB), Dane Cordell (OL), Andrew Flanagan (OL), Hunter Folsom (OL), Ethan Hull (LB)Ethan Hull crossed the state of FL, but stayed in the PFL - now @ Stetson.

https://twitter.com/ethanfhull

Schism55
February 27th, 2020, 02:12 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1233120917104058372

Professor Chaos
March 2nd, 2020, 12:39 PM
NDSU All-American LB Jabril Cox has entered the transfer portal:

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1234545368257515521

He is set to graduate in May so he should be immediately eligible next fall wherever he ends up. According to Ross Uglem this is a move to try to improve his NFL draft stock. He was already projected as a mid-round pick.

As an NDSU fan this sucks to see... but I believe college student-athletes should have the freedom to do what they feel is best for themselves and if that's how Jabril feels so be it.

Schism55
March 2nd, 2020, 12:52 PM
Wow, punch in the gut. Please don't go Jabril

Herdistheword
March 2nd, 2020, 01:11 PM
I is sad.

Drblankstare
March 2nd, 2020, 01:15 PM
Unfair or not there will always be a stigma about a guy coming from FCS school while going through the draft process. It’s bs, but every year someone mentions not playing against top competition. If Jabril wants to be a pro and wants to give himself the absolute best shot at improving his draft position, I wish him all the luck in world. Doesn’t always work out, but shoot your shot as they say.

Anthony215
March 2nd, 2020, 01:31 PM
It's kind of late to be jumping in the portal. Reminds me of the kid from Colgate an All American LB there and when he went to Louisville for his senior year he ended up in a reserve role IMO he hurt his draft stock moreso than helped it.

ming01
March 2nd, 2020, 01:32 PM
It sucks. Was excited to see him vs Oregon. I guess small chance he doesnt leave, but he will have some pretty good suitors going after him. Probably gives him a better chance to maybe jump a round 2 higher in the draft.

Herdistheword
March 2nd, 2020, 01:39 PM
Honestly, it is kind of risky to learn a new system your last year. He could end up hurting his stock. He is such a gifted athlete and honestly, some FCS guys have already jumped into the 1st and 2nd rounds without moving up. It is hard, but when you have ideal size (check), ideal athleticism (check), and the tape to match (check) it can certainly happen.

Gil Dobie
March 2nd, 2020, 01:56 PM
Best of luck Jabril. Some great times watching him play. Saved the 2017 NC game by rushing the pass. Last year he missed Robinson in the backfield, got up and ran him down 15 yards later. He plugged the holes on defense, rarely missed a tackle. Big loss for the Bison.

gregatim
March 2nd, 2020, 02:26 PM
Honestly, it is kind of risky to learn a new system your last year. He could end up hurting his stock. He is such a gifted athlete and honestly, some FCS guys have already jumped into the 1st and 2nd rounds without moving up. It is hard, but when you have ideal size (check), ideal athleticism (check), and the tape to match (check) it can certainly happen.

With K-State having two linebackers arrested over the weekend that seems like a likely landing spot. Same defense, same fits, same calls, likely same verbiage, perfect plug and play spot for Jabril. Might just be a coincidence but the timing strongly suggests otherwise.

Professor Chaos
March 2nd, 2020, 02:56 PM
Best of luck Jabril. Some great times watching him play. Saved the 2017 NC game by rushing the pass. Last year he missed Robinson in the backfield, got up and ran him down 15 yards later. He plugged the holes on defense, rarely missed a tackle. Big loss for the Bison.
His versatility is what will be missed. He could cover a slot receiver, defend the run, and rush the passer all at about as high of a level as anyone on the team. It'll be impossible for one player to fill his shoes at NDSU. It'll have to be a team effort to get the "next man up".

Bisonator
March 2nd, 2020, 03:31 PM
With K-State having two linebackers arrested over the weekend that seems like a likely landing spot. Same defense, same fits, same calls, likely same verbiage, perfect plug and play spot for Jabril. Might just be a coincidence but the timing strongly suggests otherwise.
Yeah that seems like a real big coincidence to me. Hope there isn't something more to this......

Gil Dobie
March 2nd, 2020, 05:41 PM
His versatility is what will be missed. He could cover a slot receiver, defend the run, and rush the passer all at about as high of a level as anyone on the team. It'll be impossible for one player to fill his shoes at NDSU. It'll have to be a team effort to get the "next man up".

He was a great teacher to the guys coming up behind him too. I think it was the Montana St game, Cox was going to rush the QB, and Destin Talbert was lined up to cover the outside receiver. Cox pointed to the receiver before the snap. Cox rushed and the receiver caught a long pass. Cox went up to Talbert after the play, and I'm sure they discussed that play.

geaux_sioux
March 2nd, 2020, 05:55 PM
Yeah that seems like a real big coincidence to me. Hope there isn't something more to this......

Just wait til Kleiman takes Lance next year.

Bisonoline
March 2nd, 2020, 07:19 PM

I have no problem with him going to KSU.

POD Knows
March 2nd, 2020, 08:00 PM
NDSU All-American LB Jabril Cox has entered the transfer portal:

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1234545368257515521

He is set to graduate in May so he should be immediately eligible next fall wherever he ends up. According to Ross Uglem this is a move to try to improve his NFL draft stock. He was already projected as a mid-round pick.

As an NDSU fan this sucks to see... but I believe college student-athletes should have the freedom to do what they feel is best for themselves and if that's how Jabril feels so be it.
I was wondering when this was going to happen, oh well. I hope it works out for him, he is one of the all time Bison greats.

Serpentor
March 2nd, 2020, 08:04 PM
I was wondering when this was going to happen, oh well. I hope it works out for him, he is one of the all time Bison greats.

It's pretty crummy that an FCS player with several championships on his resume still has to play for an FBS program just to get attention.

Bisonoline
March 2nd, 2020, 08:07 PM
It's pretty crummy that an FCS player with several championships on his resume still has to play for an FBS program just to get attention.

Hes already slotted as a mid round pick so attention isnt the issue.

POD Knows
March 2nd, 2020, 08:19 PM
It's pretty crummy that an FCS player with several championships on his resume still has to play for an FBS program just to get attention.Well, I imagine that he thinks that his skill set will improve if he plays up against better competition. I doubt that he would take an offer from Akron or some other lower end G5 but who knows. I really have no idea where he would end up but he is taking a risk but I imagine he wants the visibility. The thing with playing for NDSU is that you get exposure, we have had defensive players drafted in the NFL but if he can move up to a decent FBS program, play well and maybe move up a round or two it would be worth it. NDSU is going to have to deal with this type of thing quite a bit I think. We have major risk with this on our current QB, I would be shocked if he didn't move up after this year but QB's at NDSU get a pretty good look because of the system they run.

dewey
March 2nd, 2020, 08:26 PM
Well if Jabril decides to move one....Good luck to him and thank you for all the memories and championships.

Go Bison!

Chalupa Batman
March 2nd, 2020, 08:50 PM

Having a bunch of guys that most bigger schools would take in a heartbeat is a nice problem to have. xnodx

POD Knows
March 2nd, 2020, 08:59 PM
Having a bunch of guys that most bigger schools would take in a heartbeat is a nice problem to have. xnodxYea, until it bleeds us dry and somehow end up at UND level. This transfer portal might be the great equalizer for the FCS.

Chalupa Batman
March 2nd, 2020, 09:44 PM
Yea, until it bleeds us dry and somehow end up at UND level. This transfer portal might be the great equalizer for the FCS.

I didn't say it wasn't a problem, but a nice problem to have. Most schools would love to have such a problem.

I don't know how many more, if any, will be moving on, and am certainly not rooting for it either.

Professor Chaos
March 2nd, 2020, 10:47 PM
Well, I imagine that he thinks that his skill set will improve if he plays up against better competition. I doubt that he would take an offer from Akron or some other lower end G5 but who knows. I really have no idea where he would end up but he is taking a risk but I imagine he wants the visibility. The thing with playing for NDSU is that you get exposure, we have had defensive players drafted in the NFL but if he can move up to a decent FBS program, play well and maybe move up a round or two it would be worth it. NDSU is going to have to deal with this type of thing quite a bit I think. We have major risk with this on our current QB, I would be shocked if he didn't move up after this year but QB's at NDSU get a pretty good look because of the system they run.
Based on some of his recent Twitter followers it looks like he is going to have his choice of multiple elite P5 options.

POD Knows
March 3rd, 2020, 05:57 AM
Based on some of his recent Twitter followers it looks like he is going to have his choice of multiple elite P5 options.IF he ends up at a top P5 college, I will be curious to see how he fits. He is a pretty versatile guy, I am interested how they would use him. He may have the opportunity to do more things as he would probably have a better all around supporting cast. Might us him as an edge rusher or something, who knows.

dewey
March 3rd, 2020, 06:10 AM
If he does transfer I hope he goes to Kansas State.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 3rd, 2020, 07:03 AM
It sucks to have happen this late in the offseason, but, if he fulfilled his end of the scholarship and graduated, he is free to do what he wants. He would have been a huge asset against Oregon and he is not the "replaceable" kind of player either. Best of luck Jabril.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

McNeese72
March 3rd, 2020, 08:02 AM
McNeese loses a senior starting DE to the portal. Second starting DL that we have lost to it. :(

Doc

Serpentor
March 3rd, 2020, 09:48 AM
Well, I imagine that he thinks that his skill set will improve if he plays up against better competition. I doubt that he would take an offer from Akron or some other lower end G5 but who knows. I really have no idea where he would end up but he is taking a risk but I imagine he wants the visibility. The thing with playing for NDSU is that you get exposure, we have had defensive players drafted in the NFL but if he can move up to a decent FBS program, play well and maybe move up a round or two it would be worth it. NDSU is going to have to deal with this type of thing quite a bit I think. We have major risk with this on our current QB, I would be shocked if he didn't move up after this year but QB's at NDSU get a pretty good look because of the system they run.

That makes sense. It's also good that NDSU has built itself a reputation as a reliable football factory, that you guys at least get the looks.

IBleedYellow
March 3rd, 2020, 09:51 AM
I'll bet quite a lot of money that he ends up @ LSU.

Herdistheword
March 3rd, 2020, 09:51 AM
If he does transfer I hope he goes to Kansas State.

Dewey

As crazy as it sounds, LSU makes a lot of sense for him. They lost 3 out of 4 LB’s to the draft and they just hired Pelini as their DC. Pelini is familiar with Jabril and I suspect is lobbying hard for him. Pelini, Ogeron, and several other LSU assistants have started following Jabril. Bama and several other elite schools are also in the mix.

IBleedYellow
March 3rd, 2020, 09:54 AM
As crazy as it sounds, LSU makes a lot of sense for him. They lost 3 out of 4 LB’s to the draft and they just hired Pelini as their DC. Pelini is familiar with Jabril and I suspect is lobbying hard for him. Pelini, Ogeron, and several other LSU assistants have started following Jabril. Bama and several other elite schools are also in the mix.

Yep. Exactly.

He won't be going to KSU. He's going to an SEC school.

centennial
March 3rd, 2020, 10:18 AM
This just seems like a very high risk, low reward situation. He knows he will start at NDSU. Now he has to go compete. Not only that learn a new system and calls. That alone might put mistakes on his tape. What happens when a blue chip talent takes his snaps and he doesn't get the numbers? Or if doesn't start all the time? Or if he isn't that good vs SEC talent?

Third-fourth round is life changing money, getting to the early second round at the risk of going down to 6th or UDFA IMO is not even close to worth it. These coaches are acting dirty through intermediaries. Tempting high end talent to change teams.

McNeese75
March 3rd, 2020, 10:40 AM
McNeese just had their last DL (Cody Roscoe) from last year go into the portal. Hate to lose that one

Herdistheword
March 3rd, 2020, 10:43 AM
This just seems like a very high risk, low reward situation. He knows he will start at NDSU. Now he has to go compete. Not only that learn a new system and calls. That alone might put mistakes on his tape. What happens when a blue chip talent takes his snaps and he doesn't get the numbers? Or if doesn't start all the time? Or if he isn't that good vs SEC talent?

Third-fourth round is life changing money, getting to the early second round at the risk of going down to 6th or UDFA IMO is not even close to worth it. These coaches are acting dirty through intermediaries. Tempting high end talent to change teams.

I think it seems risky too. If he has 4.5 speed as a LB and other good measurables, he could get to the 2nd round even in the FCS with his tape. Other defensive prospects have done it at this level. Ultimately it is his choice, but I think it is incredibly risky.

centennial
March 3rd, 2020, 10:51 AM
I think it seems risky too. If he has 4.5 speed as a LB and other good measurables, he could get to the 2nd round even in the FCS with his tape. Other defensive prospects have done it at this level. Ultimately it is his choice, but I think it is incredibly risky.

This didn't work out for that Montana State QB either, Dakota Prukop. He went UDFA and is now in the CFL. Vernon Adams is also in the CFL, both might have made the NFL if they stayed put.

Lorne_Malvo
March 3rd, 2020, 11:38 AM
I'll bet quite a lot of money that he ends up @ LSU.

The LSU coaching staff and quite a few LSU players just started following Jabril on twitter. LSU is a good bet.

geaux_sioux
March 3rd, 2020, 01:37 PM
The LSU coaching staff and quite a few LSU players just started following Jabril on twitter. LSU is a good bet.

Yuck. The last thing I want is a bunch of bysun fans hopping on the bandwagon of my Tigers.

MR. CHICKEN
March 3rd, 2020, 01:46 PM
Yuck. The last thing I want is a bunch of bysun fans hopping on the bandwagon of my Tigers.

.....NOT TA STEW..SUE.......LSU.....ROSTER.........HAS 8-10 JABBYS......AN' UH COUPLE BUTKIS'S TOO.......BRAWK & ROLL!

Lorne_Malvo
March 3rd, 2020, 02:09 PM

You know where your last QB threw his first pass right?

Professor Chaos
March 3rd, 2020, 02:15 PM

I see it as the opposite... low risk high reward. He's already been graded as a 4th round talent from a reputable FCS evaluator. He's got lots of tape out there from these last 3 years to fall back on if he doesn't get the playing time or struggles this year. On the other hand he'll have the opportunity to raise his profile against higher level competition over the course of the season instead of essentially banking that upward mobility all on his all-star game, workouts, and NFL combine next winter/spring. Barring injury he's not going to drop out of the draft... the fact that he's getting the interest he's getting from elite P5 programs is evidence of that.

He could but he'd be putting an awful lot of pressure on himself next January at the Senior Bowl, next February at the NFL Combine, and next March at his pro day and other various workouts because that's when FCS prospects make or break their chances. I'm guessing he's confident that having a full season to showcase himself against elite level competition rather than just those few events will give him his best chance of proving he's a high level NFL prospect.

Grizalltheway
March 3rd, 2020, 02:51 PM
This didn't work out for that Montana State QB either, Dakota Prukop. He went UDFA and is now in the CFL. Vernon Adams is also in the CFL, both might have made the NFL if they stayed put.
Personally, I doubt that. And not just because they played for rivals.

geaux_sioux
March 3rd, 2020, 02:59 PM
You know where your last QB threw his first pass right?

Yup

uni88
March 3rd, 2020, 05:07 PM
I see it as the opposite... low risk high reward. He's already been graded as a 4th round talent from a reputable FCS evaluator. He's got lots of tape out there from these last 3 years to fall back on if he doesn't get the playing time or struggles this year. On the other hand he'll have the opportunity to raise his profile against higher level competition over the course of the season instead of essentially banking that upward mobility all on his all-star game, workouts, and NFL combine next winter/spring. Barring injury he's not going to drop out of the draft... the fact that he's getting the interest he's getting from elite P5 programs is evidence of that.

He could but he'd be putting an awful lot of pressure on himself next January at the Senior Bowl, next February at the NFL Combine, and next March at his pro day and other various workouts because that's when FCS prospects make or break their chances. I'm guessing he's confident that having a full season to showcase himself against elite level competition rather than just those few events will give him his best chance of proving he's a high level NFL prospect.

xthumbsupx He's a heckuva player and I like the fact that he believes in himself and his ability to start for a P5 team.

What about Clemson as a possible landing spot?

Professor Chaos
March 3rd, 2020, 06:36 PM
xthumbsupx He's a heckuva player and I like the fact that he believes in himself and his ability to start for a P5 team.

What about Clemson as a possible landing spot?
Rumor is LSU is the front-runner based on the fact that he's getting Twitter follows from all sorts of players and coaches at LSU (moreso than anywhere else), their new DC Bo Pelini is very familiar with him, and they have an immediate need.

As much as it sucks that for us Bison fans that won't see him play it out for NDSU (I know you all feel really bad for us ;)) you can hardly blame the guy considering where it looks like he'll end up.

cx500d
March 3rd, 2020, 07:02 PM
Question: he’ll make it to the pros, on his pro roster and when they flash his pic/bio on tv during a game, will school will they list as his alma mater? Technically he got his undergraduate at NDSU even though he’ll play one year at a p5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
March 3rd, 2020, 07:08 PM
Rumor is LSU is the front-runner based on the fact that he's getting Twitter follows from all sorts of players and coaches at LSU (moreso than anywhere else), their new DC Bo Pelini is very familiar with him, and they have an immediate need.

As much as it sucks that for us Bison fans that won't see him play it out for NDSU (I know you all feel really bad for us ;)) you can hardly blame the guy considering where it looks like he'll end up.

Some folks apparently forget that Bebe was a defensive guy as both a player and a coach. He's evaluated and recruited some of the best. He made his coaching chops at Miami developing Russell Maryland and Warren Sapp. If he thinks this kid can play defense in the SEC, I'm reasonably sure the kid can play defense in the SEC. Orgeron's also the father of two FCS players, so he knows the reality of playing in the FCS. If he weren't absolutely convinced that this kid could contribute to LSU's success, he wouldn't **** with him. He'd tell him to stay put....

Orgeron clearly thinks he can play...And NDSU fans should take that as an absolute compliment. The coach of the Defending National Champion BCS team is gonna raid NDSU for talent.

I can't think of a higher compliment...

Redbird 4th & short
March 3rd, 2020, 07:35 PM

Not very familiar with Prukop ... but Vernon Adam's was in no way an NFL caliber QB .. with all due respect for his college career, he had no chance at NFL level.

Chalupa Batman
March 3rd, 2020, 07:40 PM
Question: he’ll make it to the pros, on his pro roster and when they flash his pic/bio on tv during a game, will school will they list as his alma mater? Technically he got his undergraduate at NDSU even though he’ll play one year at a p5.

I would think the new school he goes to. Russell Wilson went to Wisconsin from NC State as a graduate transfer and he is listed as from Wisconsin. He also says he's from Wisconsin on the SNF player intros.

IBleedYellow
March 3rd, 2020, 08:40 PM
What a lot of people don’t understand is we never should have landed Jabril Cox to begin with. He only came here because of an injury he suffered.

Also he was a QB in HS.

uni88
March 3rd, 2020, 09:23 PM
Not very familiar with Prukop ... but Vernon Adam's was in no way an NFL caliber QB .. with all due respect for his college career, he had no chance at NFL level.

Adams had a successful year at Oregon. Prukop was not successful at the FBS level.

uni88
March 3rd, 2020, 09:28 PM
I would think the new school he goes to. Russell Wilson went to Wisconsin from NC State as a graduate transfer and he is listed as from Wisconsin. He also says he's from Wisconsin on the SNF player intros.

Russell Wilson transferred after the coach went with Mike Glennon so there' was some bad blood feelings there that I don't think Cox has. He might list NDSU as his school.

ST_Lawson
March 3rd, 2020, 09:54 PM
Russell Wilson transferred after the coach went with Mike Glennon so there' was some bad blood feelings there that I don't think Cox has. He might list NDSU as his school.

Lots of guys, when they show their faces and they say what school they went to, will sometimes say things like their HS or a JUCO that they played at for a bit to give them a bit of recognition. So he might switch it up if he's on it multiple times in a season, LSU one game, NDSU another game, etc.

centennial
March 3rd, 2020, 10:39 PM

They gave Kyler Murray a chance. Adams got injured, Dakota never started. Both had an opportunity to show 1 more year. Both had a chance to be a late round pick.

centennial
March 3rd, 2020, 10:45 PM

I don't agree at all. If he fails against elite talent all of the sudden he could drop to 7th round UDFA range. Unless you are a first round talent money is usually made on the 2nd contract. NDSU gets the benefit of the doubt, he is removing that doubt.

I suspect he is leaving because of how NDSU coaches are using him. He might feel he hasn't been given the right opportunity, or he is used in a manner that doesn't raise his draft stock.

Professor Chaos
March 4th, 2020, 08:44 AM
I don't agree at all. If he fails against elite talent all of the sudden he could drop to 7th round UDFA range. Unless you are a first round talent money is usually made on the 2nd contract. NDSU gets the benefit of the doubt, he is removing that doubt.

I suspect he is leaving because of how NDSU coaches are using him. He might feel he hasn't been given the right opportunity, or he is used in a manner that doesn't raise his draft stock.
Well, if he fails against P5 talent this next year he's not going to make it to his 2nd NFL contract anyway. If he fails against P5 talent this next year he wasn't going to show well at the Senior Bowl or the Combine either so he would've fallen then. I respect the fact that he's got confidence in his abilities and that he's betting on himself. At worst it looks like a calculated risk to me.

You may be right that he was frustrated with his usage at NDSU. He may have also been frustrated by how he was being schemed away from by opposing offenses which gave him less opportunities to showcase himself. I have less respect for either of those reasons because he's really putting "me" before the team then but it is what it is and the reasons don't really matter anymore at this point.

centennial
March 4th, 2020, 09:51 AM
Well, if he fails against P5 talent this next year he's not going to make it to his 2nd NFL contract anyway. If he fails against P5 talent this next year he wasn't going to show well at the Senior Bowl or the Combine either so he would've fallen then. I respect the fact that he's got confidence in his abilities and that he's betting on himself. At worst it looks like a calculated risk to me.

You may be right that he was frustrated with his usage at NDSU. He may have also been frustrated by how he was being schemed away from by opposing offenses which gave him less opportunities to showcase himself. I have less respect for either of those reasons because he's really putting "me" before the team then but it is what it is and the reasons don't really matter anymore at this point.

The combine is a one off. It's easier to explain away mediocre results vs one year in the SEC.

IMO he has been frustrated all year with how NDSU used him. His versatility gave NDSU coaches an out, but he doesn't have monster stats. If he had been used "correctly" he could have been a late 2nd early 3rd round pick this year itself. Also like you said opposing defenses did scheme him out, and that will be harder in the FBS since they have more blue chip prospects.

These are the salaries in his best case scenario. Let's say he was in the 7th round range then it made sense trying to jump up to the SEC because he might not get drafted.

Pick Range
Total Value
Signing Bonus

Picks 49-64
$5,932,210 to $4,578,946
$2,334,334 to $1,350,142

This is what he might have gotten getting drafted from NDSU.

Round
Total Value
Signing Bonus

Round 4
$3,324,499 to $3,006,531*
$804,499 to $486,531

Picks 93-102*
$3,458,115 to $3,399,480
$793,704 to $761,516

Silenoz
March 4th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Probably got bored

technocat
March 4th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Prukop picked a horrible year to go to Oregon. It was Helfrich's last year and the defense was horrible. The whole team was way down. Prukop actually had decent numbers(331 yards against Virginia and 293 against Colorado) but once they figured out that they wouldn't win much that year they decided to start a certain freshman qb to get him playing time.

Schism55
March 4th, 2020, 01:39 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1235284270706503683

Bisonator
March 4th, 2020, 09:41 PM
The combine is a one off. It's easier to explain away mediocre results vs one year in the SEC.

IMO he has been frustrated all year with how NDSU used him. His versatility gave NDSU coaches an out, but he doesn't have monster stats. If he had been used "correctly" he could have been a late 2nd early 3rd round pick this year itself. Also like you said opposing defenses did scheme him out, and that will be harder in the FBS since they have more blue chip prospects.

These are the salaries in his best case scenario. Let's say he was in the 7th round range then it made sense trying to jump up to the SEC because he might not get drafted.

Pick Range
Total Value
Signing Bonus

Picks 49-64
$5,932,210 to $4,578,946
$2,334,334 to $1,350,142

This is what he might have gotten getting drafted from NDSU.

Round
Total Value
Signing Bonus

Round 4
$3,324,499 to $3,006,531*
$804,499 to $486,531

Picks 93-102*
$3,458,115 to $3,399,480
$793,704 to $761,516

You're wrong on his usage at NDSU as being a factor. Moving him to WILL was the right move for him and NDSU. It showed his talents in multiple roles, his cover skills shined. Teams tried to scheme away from him and he still put up decent stats. What he put on film this last season is why all these P5 teams are drooling. He can cover TE's, RB's and slot receivers, rush off the edge and still help with run support. He's a legit sideline to sideline LB/hybrid safety. There is absolutely nothing about NDSU that caused this move other than being FCS. Kid wants to play at a P5 and possibly improve his draft stock that's all there is to it.

Herdistheword
March 5th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Per an interview with ESPN Baton Rouge, Jabril confirms that he has a visit with LSU next week.

NDSU coaching staff has remained completely mute on the subject, which makes me think they were blindsided with this. If so, that is kind of a dick move by Jabril and suggests that somebody probably got in his ear. If we learned anything about “moving up”, it is that you should probably be transparent (Klieman) and not two-faced about it (Bohl). Ultimately, I still like Cox overall and thank him for three awesome years, but saying that you are coming back and then having someone else leak information about you being in the transfer portal is a bad look from a fan perspective and probably from a coach/teammate perspective as well. Trey Lance and Phoenix have shown support for Cox, but no one else has really openly said much about it. Maybe the emotions are a little too high right now. Who knows?

POD Knows
March 5th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Per an interview with ESPN Baton Rouge, Jabril confirms that he has a visit with LSU next week.

NDSU coaching staff has remained completely mute on the subject, which makes me think they were blindsided with this. If so, that is kind of a dick move by Jabril and suggests that somebody probably got in his ear. If we learned anything about “moving up”, it is that you should probably be transparent (Klieman) and not two-faced about it (Bohl). Ultimately, I still like Cox overall and thank him for three awesome years, but saying that you are coming back and then having someone else leak information about you being in the transfer portal is a bad look from a fan perspective and probably from a coach/teammate perspective as well. Trey Lance and Phoenix have shown support for Cox, but no one else has really openly said much about it. Maybe the emotions are a little too high right now. Who knows?Lance and Sproles probably have a couple motives for being public about Cox's transfer and their support. I am sure they want the best for Cox and I am sure they would also like the opportunity to be flexible in the future with respect to this option. Nothing wrong with that, it will get the "hypocrisy" thing out of the way.

dewey
March 5th, 2020, 04:35 PM
NDSU freshman (2019 he reshirted) cornerback Terrell Hall, Winona Minnesota native, has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1235668341005717504

Dewey

POD Knows
March 5th, 2020, 05:53 PM
NDSU freshman (2019 he reshirted) cornerback Terrell Hall, Winona Minnesota native, has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1235668341005717504

DeweyGee, maybe Winona will pick him up or UND, **** him. This guy has no equity with this program, screw him. I hope he ends up in WIU

clenz
March 5th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Gee, maybe Winona will pick him up or UND, **** him. This guy has no equity with this program, screw him. I hope he ends up in WIUOnce a Bison always a bison I thought

Bisonoline
March 5th, 2020, 09:56 PM
Gee, maybe Winona will pick him up or UND, **** him. This guy has no equity with this program, screw him. I hope he ends up in WIU

We lose people every year. Next.

POD Knows
March 6th, 2020, 07:24 AM
We lose people every year. Next.Yep that is true, not real sure I am sold on this revolving door process but it is what it is. The kids need to do what they have to do I suppose.

POD Knows
March 6th, 2020, 07:26 AM
Once a Bison always a bison I thought

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TapatalkI am more of a "blood in, blood out" kind of guy but it is what it is. Just wish in this particular case that the kid had given the program a little more chance but I don't know his circumstances and maybe was a little harsh.

centennial
March 6th, 2020, 09:09 AM
We lose people every year. Next.

Not any different from going to DII. Many ex Bison players landed up on other teams. He will only get picked up if he is good enough.

TennBison
March 7th, 2020, 02:33 PM

NDSU coaching staff has remained completely mute on the subject, which makes me think they were blindsided with this. If so, that is kind of a dick move by Jabril and suggests that somebody probably got in his ear. If we learned anything about “moving up”, it is that you should probably be transparent (Klieman) and not two-faced about it (Bohl). Ultimately, I still like Cox overall and thank him for three awesome years, but saying that you are coming back and then having someone else leak information about you being in the transfer portal is a bad look from a fan perspective and probably from a coach/teammate perspective as well. Trey Lance and Phoenix have shown support for Cox, but no one else has really openly said much about it. Maybe the emotions are a little too high right now. Who knows?

Guarantee you that he did at least say something somewhere and that he has talked with the staff even if it was after the fact. Not a dick move to move on in life without the permission of those who are your coaches, or for those of us not in college football.....bosses. How many people in the workforce ask their bosses if it is ok to go look for another job..... the number is 0%. You might tell management that you are thinking of looking elsewhere, but you never ask for permission. Cox gave a solid 4 years to NDSU and fulfilled his commitment to the school and did so with style and grace. He was a fine student, and great football player who gave his all, and he was never a problem on or off the field. The kid was a class act the whole time he has been at NDSU, if he decided against going anywhere else we would be blessed to have him return.

Herdistheword
March 7th, 2020, 10:39 PM
Guarantee you that he did at least say something somewhere and that he has talked with the staff even if it was after the fact. Not a dick move to move on in life without the permission of those who are your coaches, or for those of us not in college football.....bosses. How many people in the workforce ask their bosses if it is ok to go look for another job..... the number is 0%. You might tell management that you are thinking of looking elsewhere, but you never ask for permission. Cox gave a solid 4 years to NDSU and fulfilled his commitment to the school and did so with style and grace. He was a fine student, and great football player who gave his all, and he was never a problem on or off the field. The kid was a class act the whole time he has been at NDSU, if he decided against going anywhere else we would be blessed to have him return.

If he informed the coaching staff, then I have nothing wrong with it. If he blindsided them with it, then it is kind of a dick move. That is what my paragraph says. It is basically the same premise as two weeks’ notice. It is courteous to give your employer, or in this case, your team a notice of your intentions so that they can plan ahead and prepare. I was admittedly speculating on whether or not the notice occurred based on the lack of communication from the coaching staff if that was not clear.

TennBison
March 8th, 2020, 09:43 AM
If he informed the coaching staff, then I have nothing wrong with it. If he blindsided them with it, then it is kind of a dick move. That is what my paragraph says. It is basically the same premise as two weeks’ notice. It is courteous to give your employer, or in this case, your team a notice of your intentions so that they can plan ahead and prepare. I was admittedly speculating on whether or not the notice occurred based on the lack of communication from the coaching staff if that was not clear.
Not mocking your statement, just adding my take on the whole thing to it. I would find it almost impossible to think that the staff to this day has not talked to Cox about it. And there is no requirement for Cox to notify the coaches in advance. This whole concept of "two weeks notice" sounds good in stories, but when was the last time that any employer gave a employee that they were going to fire two weeks notice. Sure, maybe 50+years ago there was a different standard, but these days not so much. Just because I would have talked to the staff before doing anything, does not mean others are required to do so.

Sycamore62
March 9th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Not mocking your statement, just adding my take on the whole thing to it. I would find it almost impossible to think that the staff to this day has not talked to Cox about it. And there is no requirement for Cox to notify the coaches in advance. This whole concept of "two weeks notice" sounds good in stories, but when was the last time that any employer gave a employee that they were going to fire two weeks notice. Sure, maybe 50+years ago there was a different standard, but these days not so much. Just because I would have talked to the staff before doing anything, does not mean others are required to do so.

I think you are talking about severance pay.

edit: But isnt going in the portal the notice? or "hey coach im going in the transfer portal"

Herdistheword
March 9th, 2020, 02:47 PM

Employers can be dicks in that regard, but as stated previously, that is kind of what severance pay and unemployment benefits are for. They help ease that transition. I really hope Cox gave notice, though I suspect that Entz is slightly less approachable than Klieman was in that regard. Honestly, I’m a little baffled that no one on the coaching staff has even bothered to acknowledge this in the press.

I am kind of curious to know what happens in the meantime though. Does Cox continue to use NDSU facilities? He is still technically part of the team, and the guy does still need to work out, right? However, you don’t really want to have him in the locker room when his focus is clearly on other teams and what they have to offer. I assume he has the IQ not to brag about say, LSU facilities, to other guys in the locker room, but I can also understand the coaches not wanting to take that chance. Both parties are kind of in a sticky situation in that regard.

Sycamore62
March 10th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Is this Bo trying to beat you post-coaching job?

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Is this Bo trying to beat you post-coaching job?

I think it is Bo trying to get a player that he has coveted for 4 years.

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Uh...minor point here....but Bo's got the pick of the litter now. He can go get any linebacker he wants...Your guy entered the portal, and several FBS coaches started following him...THEN LSU came to the party...Bo was, in fact, familiar with him, so he knows he can play and he does have a need. All things being equal, you go with what you know...

I'm not buying that the first thing Bo Pellini does when he gets to LSU is start wooing Cox to leave NDSU. If that were the case, Cox would have signed with LSU immediately...LSU was relatively late to the Cox party.

centennial
March 10th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Uh...minor point here....but Bo's got the pick of the litter now. He can go get any linebacker he wants...Your guy entered the portal, and several FBS coaches started following him...THEN LSU came to the party...Bo was, in fact, familiar with him, so he knows he can play and he does have a need. All things being equal, you go with what you know...

I'm not buying that the first thing Bo Pellini does when he gets to LSU is start wooing Cox to leave NDSU. If that were the case, Cox would have signed with LSU immediately...LSU was relatively late to the Cox party.

I wouldn't put it past Bo to try to send a message through an old high school coach. Only Cox knows the truth. And no way Cox tells us which school persuaded him to enter the portal. That would be a very bad look.

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 11:39 AM
Here's what Cox has to say...he says he wants to elevate his game, and he's looking at a lot of schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82oTlPvlpI

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 01:25 PM

LSU was actually one of the first to the table. I think they were like the sixth team to follow him. Ed Ogeron was following him within 24 hours. Saying they were late to the party is inaccurate.

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 01:51 PM
LSU was actually one of the first to the table. I think they were like the sixth team to follow him. Ed Ogeron was following him within 24 hours. Saying they were late to the party is inaccurate.

From the original link:

"At 10:49 a.m. on Monday, North Dakota State linebacker Jabril Cox officially put his name into the NCAA transfer portal. And the mayhem began immediately.

By the end of the day, coaches and recruiting staffers from more than 45 FBS schools were following him on Twitter in the hopes of getting in touch. First it was coaches from (1) Illinois, (2)SMU and (3)Utah. And then (4)North Carolina, (5)South Carolina and (6)Cal. And then the entire (7) Baylor coaching staff.

And right after that came follows from staffers at (8)Texas, (9)Mississippi State,(10) Florida State, (11)Liberty, (12)ECU, (13)Texas Tech,(14) Nebraska, (15)Kent State, (16)Georgia Tech, (17)Washington State, (18)Colorado, (19)Eastern Michigan,(20) LSU, Toledo, Michigan, FAU, Alabama, Ball State, Ole Miss, Virginia, Northwestern, Syracuse, Iowa State, Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Akron, Miami, Vanderbilt, Missouri, TCU, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Temple, Boston College and Arizona...."

Saying that an LSU staffer was 20th in line to follow Cox, after the entire Baylor staff did pretty much screams "Late to the Party" to me...but, maybe we have different standards.

Anyway, the point remains. If the LSU/Pellini fix was in, wouldn't they have been following him from jumpstreet? Moreover, if the fix was in, why would they even need to follow him...the fix is in...let him hit the portal and then sign him....lots of kids have already hit the portal and signed. If the fix is in, why hasn't Cox signed with LSU already???

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Is there a way to timestamp the follows on Twitter? We were tracking it pretty dang close on the NDSU boards. LSU was one of the first teams that had a presence on that Twitter list. LSU was tracking Jabril within 24 hours and had multiple coaches on him. Also, that list isn’t in order by name necessarily if you are reading the context. It is basically just splits the follows into groups. Saying LSU was 20th isn’t necessarily correct based on context. Also, we could be talking a matter of minutes between the groupings here. If the groupings are correct, LSU could’ve been the 8th team. I estimated 6th. That is pretty close. I’ll shamelessly admit I was actually tracking the follows on Twitter. Unless I missed some obscure staffer earlier in the process (not everyone has a verified account), LSU was definitely one of the first teams onboard.

BTW, Ross Uglem tweeted about the Coach O follow at 8:11pm that same day, so within 10 hours the HC of LSU was following Jabril. That is a quick turnaround. As for any Pelini collusion speculation, there is no proof of any such collusion at this point. It is just speculation based on the convenience of the situation. It is just as likely that Jabril saw a convenient opportunity to secure a likely starting spot with a National Contender after a coach he was familiar with received a position that could work in Cox’s favor. Cox could’ve networked this situation into existence as well.

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 02:23 PM
I think the writer was pretty specific about the order of the follows....he specifically identifies schools as being FIRST. and then lists them...followed by a reference to "staffers" at other schools...as you point out, Ed Orgeron didn't start following the kid till 8 pm that night...if you're going to list schools and the list isn't in alphabetical order, and the gist of the story is about timing, then I think you sort of have to assume that the listing was in chronological order.

But, I totally agree with the part of your post that says that there's no evidence of collusion. I think you have to take the kid at his word when he says he wants to prove himself at the next level....He's been a part of three NDSU national titles in FCS. He doesn't really have anything left to prove. The ONLY thing he's got left to prove is whether or not he can perform at the same level on the country's biggest stage...

I can appreciate the fun of a good conspiracy theory in the off season, but I think you have to take the kid at his word on what prompted this...

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Using what I think is the author’s method, the first person that Jabril followed back was Ed Ogeron. Looks like the assumption is that the most recent follows are on top. I don’t know how Twitter works. I just checked every few hours to see if any new team names popped up. Maybe Jabril knew which name to look for....(cue ominous music sounds).

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Well, if he wants to test his mettle against top competition, wouldn't following the head coach of the defending national champion sorta get the kids attention?

Lemme guess, he also quickly followed Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney?? ;)

You mean THIS kinda ominous music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalFHp1zKhM

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Well, if he wants to test his mettle against top competition, wouldn't following the head coach of the defending national champion sorta get the kids attention?

Lemme guess, he also quickly followed Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney?? ;)

You mean THIS kinda ominous music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalFHp1zKhM

Alabama DC, yes.

i don’t think he is following Clemson at all.

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Alabama DC, yes.

i don’t think he is following Clemson at all.

Well, if he ends up there, then you'll know the fix was in and the rest of it was to throw everybody off of Dabo's trail!

Herdistheword
March 10th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Well, if he ends up there, then you'll know the fix was in and the rest of it was to throw everybody off of Dabo's trail!

If you really want us Bison folk can concoct a conspiracy theory about Dabo being the dark horse fixer too. I mean, Klieman was the first bad guy and he has connections to Dabo, so....

FormerPokeCenter
March 10th, 2020, 06:14 PM
If you really want us Bison folk can concoct a conspiracy theory about Dabo being the dark horse fixer too. I mean, Klieman was the first bad guy and he has connections to Dabo, so....

I think you're onto something!

Schism55
April 1st, 2020, 07:37 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1245505330731257862

100%GRIZ
April 2nd, 2020, 09:58 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1245505330731257862
Wow - Nice write up by the young man!

Schism55
April 2nd, 2020, 05:27 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1245839576087670786

Bummer

GAD
April 2nd, 2020, 06:30 PM

Bummer
Local news just reported that Cox has committed to the tigers

Daytripper
April 2nd, 2020, 08:23 PM

Bummer

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lsu-picks-up-graduate-transfer-in-former-north-dakota-state-star-lb-jabril-cox/

dewey
April 2nd, 2020, 08:51 PM

Bummer

Good luck to Jabril at LSU. He has been really fun to watch the last quite a few years.

Dewey

Derby City Duke
April 2nd, 2020, 10:43 PM
Good luck to J. Cox down in Baton Rouge. Helluva player.

100%GRIZ
April 4th, 2020, 09:19 AM
Good luck to J. Cox down in Baton Rouge. Helluva player.
Always Cool when and FCS player is good enough to show his wares at the next level!

oilcan
April 5th, 2020, 10:17 PM

Dale Moss did this at SDSU. Played both FB and BB

clenz
April 6th, 2020, 08:24 AM
UNI had a WR a few years back that played 4 years as the starting PG at Clemson and then WR at UNI - I think he had like 1 or 2 catches max.

We've had number of guys do both

Austin Howard - who has now been a starting tackle in the NFL for a decade - played both at UNI for 3 years
Everette Pedescleaux - moved to football only after 2 years spent some time in the NFL

Both multi-time All American football players at UNI in the mid/late 00s

Those were were on the team at the same time actually for like a year (maybe 2?), though neither really saw much time on the court.

Imagine a front court of
6'7 300
and
6'6 304

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/78/1780ec42-992d-11df-a76f-001cc4c03286/4c4e4f1fdd482.image.jpg
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/a7/4a753157-af10-5a90-a5ab-43981fa4f912/4a753157-af10-5a90-a5ab-43981fa4f912.preview-300.jpg?crop=300%2C300%2C0%2C132&resize=1200%2C1200&order=crop%2Cresize

Currently we have Logan Wolf (6'4 220 - WR and SG), a true freshman this last year. Top 5 basketball player in the state of Iowa and top ranked football player - had an offer from Iowa to play football but turned it down to play both sports at UNI.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/19/f19cb554-bd68-5844-b60e-1ec4ea6005b3/5dd9c36704456.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1416

citdog
April 6th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Cliff Washburn did this at El Cid. 4 years and 1000 points as a basketball player and then one season as a DT on the football team. Played a number of seasons in the NFL too.

Schism55
April 8th, 2020, 10:11 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1247896222242705414

F'N Hawks
April 8th, 2020, 10:16 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1247896222242705414

is CMU giving him a scholarship? He is not a very good QB

Schism55
April 17th, 2020, 03:27 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1251238350532550657

Schism55
April 17th, 2020, 04:22 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1251246867415027713

100%GRIZ
April 18th, 2020, 09:26 AM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1251246867415027713
The Big Boys are robbing us blind, left of right!

MSUDuo
April 18th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Missouri State lands former 4* QB Jaden Johnson from So. Mississippi.

Originally he had committed to Louisville while Bobby P was HC there.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2020/04/18/missouri-state-football-jaden-johnson-talks-committing-bears-bobby-petrino/5159802002/

neverobeyed
May 24th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Grad Transfer TE Kyle Fourtenbary is going from Western Kentucky to Northern Iowa:

https://www.union-bulletin.com/sports/national/college-football-fourtenbary-transfers-to-uni-from-western-kentucky/article_07276a6f-f83c-50b6-96e8-58b13e3e29e9.html