PDA

View Full Version : 2019 SWAC Championship Game, Southern(8-4) vs Alcorn State (8-3)

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
We get a re-match of the 2018 SWAC Championship game in the same location against the same squads. Last year's game was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in a long time and this year's should be the same. Tickets sold out in 25 minutes so we'll be looking at another capacity crowd plus some.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2019, 04:35 PM
If a game is played but no one is there to see it or cares if its played did it really happen xrolleyesx

Professor
December 3rd, 2019, 04:37 PM
Southern by 3

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 05:30 PM
If a game is played but no one is there to see it or cares if its played did it really happen xrolleyesx

The SWAC Championship will outdraw every FCS playoff game this year, National title game included. You might want to ask that question to someone else.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2019, 05:33 PM
Hoping Southern and NCCU alum Dawson Odums gets it done this year. A Celebration Bowl with A&T and Southern would be fantastic.

katss07
December 3rd, 2019, 05:49 PM
The SWAC Championship will outdraw every FCS playoff game this year, National title game included. You might want to ask that question to someone else.
Ill take high quality football games with national titles on the line over meaningless low quality SWAC football. Any day. Nobody cares about your damn attendance. All that HBCUs have to hang their hats on nowadays.

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 05:51 PM
ThE SwAc tItLe GaMe WiLl OuTdR...yeah no one cares. This is a football board, not an attendance discussion. And the football is low quality/irrelevant.

You cared enough to respond so yeah there's that. Secondly isn't attendance a sign that a lot of people care or should we go tv ratings on that one which are still better? xcoffeex

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 05:53 PM
Ill take high quality football games with national titles on the line over meaningless low quality SWAC football. Any day. Nobody cares about your damn attendance. All that HBCUs have to hang their hats on nowadays.

But Sam Houston got into a dog fight twice with the 4th best team in the SWAC though. What time do the Kats play this week?

katss07
December 3rd, 2019, 05:54 PM
You cared enough to respond so yeah there's that. Secondly isn't attendance a sign that a lot of people care or should we go tv ratings on that one which are still better? xcoffeex
The football sucks. But that doesn’t matter. The TV ratings rock!

katss07
December 3rd, 2019, 05:56 PM
But Sam Houston got into a dog fight twice with the 4th best team in the SWAC though. What time do the Kats play this week?
Sam stinks. But I’ll take cheering for a sixth place SLC team over a SWAC team any day.

When does ASU play? Do they get a special band heritage classic bowl too with amazing TV ratings to go with it?

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 05:57 PM
Sam stinks. But I’ll take cheering for a sixth place SLC team over a SWAC team any day.

When does ASU play? Do they get a special band heritage classic bowl too with amazing TV ratings too?

Well good for you! That's just awesome xthumbsupx

Tazman2664
December 3rd, 2019, 07:24 PM
Just what does the winner get?

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 07:36 PM

The conference title and the bid to The Celebration Bowl to face off against the MEAC Champ.

GAD
December 3rd, 2019, 08:50 PM
I got my tickets this morning, I believe if we can get our crowd into it early and take there's out of it we can pull out a victory

ASU33
December 3rd, 2019, 09:30 PM
I got my tickets this morning, I believe if we can get our crowd into it early and take there's out of it we can pull out a victory

I think you guy's crowd will be electric coming off of that big win in New Orleans this past weekend. How the tickets allotted since this is technically an Alcorn home game?

LetsGoPeay
December 3rd, 2019, 11:37 PM
see below

LetsGoPeay
December 3rd, 2019, 11:43 PM
Do you guys like this game at the regular season champ's home field, or should it move back to Birmingham once the new stadium is built?

With the new stadium being smaller than the Old Gray Lady ( Legion Field ), it may be better for the game to move back to the Ham, than to stay as an on-campus event.

https://patch.com/img/cdn20/users/22951166/20190919/113135/styles/patch_image/public/protective-aerial___19112356227.png

LetsGoPeay
December 3rd, 2019, 11:48 PM

https://morganstatebears.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_prefix=rp_primary&image_path=/images/2019/5/28/cele.jpg

GAD
December 4th, 2019, 07:41 AM
I think you guy's crowd will be electric coming off of that big win in New Orleans this past weekend. How the tickets allotted since this is technically an Alcorn home game?
There is some reserved seating on the home side but most is GA

McNeese72
December 4th, 2019, 07:46 AM
McNeese played both Southern and Alcorn St. this season in our first and third games of the season. And we beat both of them while we were still trying to learn a new offense with a brand new set of coaches.

Doc

GAD
December 4th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Who thinks SLC football is quality? Hardly any of the SLC grads think it is, all the SLC grads I know are talking LSU vs UGA

McNeese75
December 4th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Who thinks SLC football is quality? Hardly any of the SLC grads think it is, all the SLC grads I know are talking LSU vs UGA

Sooooo, you know about all the SLC Grads? Nice projectioin of pure BS. I doubt seriously EVERY SU grad is talking about the whatever bowl and not talking about LSU vs GA.

Professor
December 4th, 2019, 09:06 AM
McNeese played both Southern and Alcorn St. this season in our first and third games of the season. And we beat both of them while we were still trying to learn a new offense with a brand new set of coaches.

Doc

Not really understanding the significance of your statement. It actually makes your team look worse , seeing that you were 5-5 without playing HBCUs.

GAD
December 4th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Sooooo, you know about all the SLC Grads? Nice projectioin of pure BS. I doubt seriously EVERY SU grad is talking about the whatever bowl and not talking about LSU vs GA.
My bad I should have said none of the SLC grads I know. They will talk Saints/NFL and or LSU/SEC football but if you ask a question about SLC they don't know or care
SU grads talk NFL, LSU/SEC, High school, and they do talk about SWAC football too
Our fans will probably be following the SEC champ game on there phones but they will be doing it in Lorman, MS

McNeese75
December 4th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Not really understanding the significance of your statement. It actually makes your team look worse , seeing that you were 5-5 without playing HBCUs.

How about the SWAC Champtionship is a contest between two teams that could not beat the #5 team in the SLC. Just image what would have happened if they had faced the three playoff teams.

Professor
December 4th, 2019, 09:19 AM
How about the SWAC Champtionship is a contest between two teams that could not beat the #5 team in the SLC. Just image what would have happened if they had faced the three playoff teams.

And this contest between two teams that could not beat the #5 team in the SLC will be seen by millions this weekend. Majority of who have no clue who McNeese is. Instead of worrying about a conference that has chose to do what they need to increase their brand.

It's sad to watch some members of this board attack HBCU football time and time again. And let's be real , if HBCU ball is so bad, why is your coach and AD scheduling them. Because he know ya'll aren't good and you need wins so he can have a winning season and keep his job.

If you want to beat your chest about your dominance , Schedule JMU or NDSU and let's see how good you are

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I hope we get Southern.

WileECoyote06
December 4th, 2019, 10:59 AM
And this contest between two teams that could not beat the #5 team in the SLC will be seen by millions this weekend. Majority of who have no clue who McNeese is. Instead of worrying about a conference that has chose to do what they need to increase their brand.

It's sad to watch some members of this board attack HBCU football time and time again. And let's be real , if HBCU ball is so bad, why is your coach and AD scheduling them. Because he know ya'll aren't good and you need wins so he can have a winning season and keep his job.

If you want to beat your chest about your dominance , Schedule JMU or NDSU and let's see how good you are

https://media.giphy.com/media/MG7Ox4h7r2riU/giphy.gif

WileECoyote06
December 4th, 2019, 11:04 AM
I hope we get Southern.

So does ABC. lol. . the story lines can write themselves. The two teams have rarely met on the gridiron.

OhioHen
December 4th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Halftime will be awesome.

And the stands won't clear out during the show.

Professor
December 4th, 2019, 11:22 AM
So does ABC. lol. . the story lines can write themselves. The two teams have rarely met on the gridiron.

Right. We haven't played SU since 03. And it's rumored we play them in the MEAC vs SWAC Challenge in 2022

ASU33
December 4th, 2019, 12:39 PM

The whole city of Atlanta is praying that you get Southern too! The way that they travel benefits EVERYONE. If they are to get past Alcorn they'll break the Celebration Bowl attendance record no doubt.

ASU33
December 4th, 2019, 03:15 PM

This! I've never understood the hatred on this board ever. HBCU folks can talk and appreciate our peers but as soon as an HBCU topic comes up you get the some haters spewing the same BS. For some reason HBCU topics get people in their feelings on here. You don't see HBCU fans jumping on random SoCon posts with the "who cares" argument but we get it like clockwork.

ejjones
December 4th, 2019, 04:10 PM
This! I've never understood the hatred on this board ever. HBCU folks can talk and appreciate our peers but as soon as an HBCU topic comes up you get the some haters spewing the same BS. For some reason HBCU topics get people in their feelings on here. You don't see HBCU fans jumping on random SoCon posts with the "who cares" argument but we get it like clockwork.
Let me know when you find out....

ASU33
December 4th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Let me know when you find out....

Ain't no telling Nupe!

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2019, 04:54 PM

The reason is the following:

In a couple of regions (aka Montana and the Dakotas), FCS football is the sports end-all be-all. Unlike the Mid-Atlantic, West Coast and the Deep South, where pro sports and major-college athletics dominate the scene, small state universities who play football at this level soak up 100% of the sports attention. And the FCS playoff tournament is the pinnacle for those fans. Nothing wrong with that -- I love the enthusiasm and street cred that Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa (plus App State & GSU in the past) and others bring to this level. So when certain schools or leagues look at the FCS tournament and go "meh", they get offended. They can't understand that trading the Thanksgiving Day Bayou Classic, SWAC Championship Game and the Celebration Bowl for a sparsely attended playoff game against a non-rival might not be a good trade-off for HBCUs.

Preferred Walk-On
December 4th, 2019, 05:00 PM

NDSU Bison fan here. I think the FCS is interesting, as it is the division of football where not all conferences think alike or have the same priorities (i.e., competing for the FCS division national championship). While I would like to see this as the goal of all 124 teams and all conferences, I understand why it is not (in some cases). It is possible that some posters would like all conferences to be inclusionary and not exclusionary; however, in the absence of this, there are not many ways to compare teams from some of these conferences with teams from some of the other conferences, and sometimes people use the few head-to-heads to imply which team (and many times extrapolate this to which league) is better. Additionally, when Jay Walker does an NCAT @ FAMU game, and proclaims (paraphrasing) "We will have a new #1 team in the nation next week!" when FAMU wins, this rankles some. Really, Jay? I think NDSU or JMU might have something to say about that. Furthermore, so a Southland team beat two SWAC teams, and a MEAC team beat a SoCon team (and probably should have been in the playoffs). There are too few data points to definitively say which team/league is better, and in the absence of participation in the playoffs, it is hard to get a grasp on this. Then somebody posts something snarky, and snarkiness then usually breeds snarkiness.

My point, there will always be anonymous posters that post snarky/derogatory comments, and there will always be anonymous posters that respond in kind. I think it is awesome the amount of people that attend HBCU games, the festivities and entertainment that occurs before and during the HBCU games, and I am looking forward to NC A&T coming to Fargo next year. Best of luck to Southern and Alcorn in the SWAC championship, and best of luck to all in the Celebration Bowl! Just please don't declare the winner of the Celebration Bowl as the #1 team, unless specifically referring to them as the #1 team in the MEAC/SWAC. xsmiley_wix

ASU33
December 4th, 2019, 05:12 PM
NDSU Bison fan here. I think the FCS is interesting, as it is the division of football where not all conferences think alike or have the same priorities (i.e., competing for the FCS division national championship). While I would like to see this as the goal of all 124 teams and all conferences, I understand why it is not (in some cases). It is possible that some posters would like all conferences to be inclusionary and not exclusionary; however, in the absence of this, there are not many ways to compare teams from some of these conferences with teams from some of the other conferences, and sometimes people use the few head-to-heads to imply which team (and many times extrapolate this to which league) is better. Additionally, when Jay Walker does an NCAT @ FAMU game, and proclaims (paraphrasing) "We will have a new #1 team in the nation next week!" when FAMU wins, this rankles some. Really, Jay? I think NDSU or JMU might have something to say about that. Furthermore, so a Southland team beat two SWAC teams, and a MEAC team beat a SoCon team (and probably should have been in the playoffs). There are too few data points to definitively say which team/league is better, and in the absence of participation in the playoffs, it is hard to get a grasp on this. Then somebody posts something snarky, and snarkiness then usually breeds snarkiness.

My point, there will always be anonymous posters that post snarky/derogatory comments, and there will always be anonymous posters that respond in kind. I think it is awesome the amount of people that attend HBCU games, the festivities and entertainment that occurs before and during the HBCU games, and I am looking forward to NC A&T coming to Fargo next year. Best of luck to Southern and Alcorn in the SWAC championship, and best of luck to all in the Celebration Bowl! Just please don't declare the winner of the Celebration Bowl as the #1 team, unless specifically referring to them as the #1 team in the MEAC/SWAC. xsmiley_wix

Good point. I've always felt like the schools who would probably relate to the HBCUs the most would be the Montanas, The North Dakota States and etc. Our fan bases are very similar. I'd love to see games like the A&T/NDSU game next year where the fan bases come together. As far as Jay I think he does a good job of saying #1 in HBCU football just as in the Celebration Bowl they say Black College Football National Champion.

unknown3
December 4th, 2019, 05:59 PM

You all kill with this logic as if FCS football is on the front page of ESPN lol. No one gives a damn about FCS playoffs either other than fans of the schools. That's just the way it is but stop acting as if the FCS playoffs is the BCS or something. In the grand scheme of things few people care either way. Other than a few schools your own fans don't come out and support.

DeltaDevil662
December 4th, 2019, 06:52 PM
You all kill with this logic as if FCS football is on the front page of ESPN lol. No one gives a damn about FCS playoffs either other than fans of the schools. That's just the way it is but stop acting as if the FCS playoffs is the BCS or something. In the grand scheme of things few people care either way. Other than a few schools your own fans don't come out and support.

They put the FCS playoffs and FCS title game on a pedestal on this board and social media but apparently their alums and casual football fans show otherwise with the ratings and attendance. Only the die hards and Vegas people even care about it. ESPN gave them a life line by putting their title game on ABC this year because it was destined for ESPNU status with the poo ratings on ESPN2

The atmosphere at the SCG this weekend will eclipse ANYTHING in the FCS playoffs (I won't even bring up attendance because we know with sunny skies and mid 50s weather Saturday Alcorn/SU will probably hit 25K again). Let's not even bring up the Celebration Bowl because we know that's a guaranteed 30K in ATL in an NFL stadium on ABC

Preferred Walk-On
December 4th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Good point. I've always felt like the schools who would probably relate to the HBCUs the most would be the Montanas, The North Dakota States and etc. Our fan bases are very similar. I'd love to see games like the A&T/NDSU game next year where the fan bases come together. As far as Jay I think he does a good job of saying #1 in HBCU football just as in the Celebration Bowl they say Black College Football National Champion.

Jay probably just forgot to say that. I wish the ESPN3 replay was still available, because he said it almost exactly as I had written it (it made me chuckle a bit at the time). However, no worries. That game was a fun one to watch, and I think it speaks to the high quality of football that the top teams in the MEAC/SWAC are capable of.

SUPharmacist
December 4th, 2019, 08:34 PM

There are some HBCU fans playing these games on random threads, but it is a much larger amount of non-HBCU fans crapping on your threads.

I can understand the sniping in the ranking threads, although I wish it was more simplistic discussion of not going to rank someone if they do not participate in the playoffs as opposed to talking up one side or the other and bashing the others choice and priorities. Why any of us are seeking out threads unrelated to our interests to just be an ass I will never know.

If it is just to get back at the small amount of HBCU fans that are more aggressive about their "supposed superiority" and to list the FCS playoffs "supposed superiority." I feel like I do not see as much crap on random Ivy threads, although it gets very aggressive in the ranking threads.

Lets just enjoy all of FCS football and celebrate the fun quirks that go with different teams and conferences and the many ways fanbases embrace their teams.

Here is hoping the SWAC championship is a great game and can lead to an awesome Celebration Bowl.

BEAR
December 5th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Who's favored in this game? xeyebrowx

McNeese72
December 5th, 2019, 09:02 AM

From what we saw early in the season when we played them, I would say Alcorn St.. But that was months ago and things and teams change over a season from such things as injuries, etc.

Doc

ASU33
December 5th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Alcorn is favored by 4.5 as of this morning.

BEAR
December 5th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Will this be broadcast? I'd like to see it! xthumbsupx

ASU33
December 5th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Will this be broadcast? I'd like to see it! xthumbsupx

ESPNU at 3pm Central

Panther88
December 5th, 2019, 12:36 PM
They put the FCS playoffs and FCS title game on a pedestal on this board and social media but apparently their alums and casual football fans show otherwise with the ratings and attendance. Only the die hards and Vegas people even care about it. ESPN gave them a life line by putting their title game on ABC this year because it was destined for ESPNU status with the poo ratings on ESPN2

The atmosphere at the SCG this weekend will eclipse ANYTHING in the FCS playoffs (I won't even bring up attendance because we know with sunny skies and mid 50s weather Saturday Alcorn/SU will probably hit 25K again). Let's not even bring up the Celebration Bowl because we know that's a guaranteed 30K in ATL in an NFL stadium on ABC

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Only folk on this 'bored" care about the fcs playoffs as it stands today. The local-posting here are the only ones who have an interest in fcs playoff ball. That certainly explains that whopping 28.8K folk spread between 8 games on opening w/e.

The NDSU's, JMU's, Montana's, ... true fcs heavyweights of the world should probably re-evaluate who they invite to their playoff party because obviously the currents aren't bringing any revenue generating fans to their games while they continue to invite historical beat-down opponents. xlolx lol

Panther88
December 5th, 2019, 12:41 PM

Stop talking about the fcs playoff round 1 games. You're going to piss some of your fellow playoff enthusiasts off royally. xconfusedx I do agree w/ you though, considering last Sat's BC drew 68,000+ souls to an NFL venue. lol

What time is THE Ohio State University vs Wisconsin game? What time is the LSU vs Georgia game? Those are the only other college games that are actually important this upcoming Saturday. There is no refuting what america loves college football wise. :D

Panther88
December 5th, 2019, 12:53 PM
While I'm here.... what do the mid-tier fcs schools bring to the ncaa playoff table other than horrible attendance, wasted $$$, average football play, and a guaranteed LOSS to true fcs powers NDSU, JMU, Montana, SDSU, et al?

*crickets*

BEAR
December 5th, 2019, 01:16 PM
ESPNU at 3pm Central

Thanks! I tend to not watch the FBS schools because its basically semi-pro. This time of year it's FCS and D2 football on my tv! xthumbsupx

ASU33
December 5th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Right. We haven't played SU since 03. And it's rumored we play them in the MEAC vs SWAC Challenge in 2022

That's the matchup everyone wants this year!

Bison56
December 7th, 2019, 06:30 PM
That was the dagger for Southern.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Congrats Alcorn State! I had the Braves in my Top 25 for a few weeks this year. They earned a final spot imo. Good 9-3 team...

Bison56
December 7th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Congrats Alcorn State, good luck to both teams I the Celebration Bowl.

LetsGoPeay
December 7th, 2019, 08:08 PM
That was a messy, but fun game to watch. Big plays. Big turnovers. A blatantly blown call by the refs that didn't come back to haunt Alcorn. And the Alcorn St crowd is always into it.

Congrats to the Braves.

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Will fans tune in to watch Aggies v Braves III? They're 2 of the top 3 HBCU teams this year but will fatigue encroach?

Panther88
December 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM
SCG - Southern at Alcorn State
Attendance: 22,365

Yeh, the SWAC powerbrokers should forgo our success and enter the fcs playoffs just because “they say so.” GTFOH!!!

DeltaDevil662
December 8th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Don't mind me... just dropping this off here for the playoff lovers and wondering how "sub-standard" football that was played in the elements outdrew all of the playoff games at perennial FCS powerhouse schools

Southern at Alcorn State

at Montana 16,550
at North Dakota St.: 15,690
at Montana St.: 12,947
at James Madison: 10,881
at Weber State: 5,422
at Sacramento St.: 5,140
at South Dakota St.: 4,102
at Central Arkansas: 5,127

Panther88
December 8th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Don't mind me... just dropping this off here for the playoff lovers and wondering how "sub-standard" football that was played in the elements outdrew all of the playoff games at perennial FCS powerhouse schools

Southern at Alcorn State

at Montana 16,550
at North Dakota St.: 15,690
at Montana St.: 12,947
at James Madison: 10,881
at Weber State: 5,422
at Sacramento St.: 5,140
at South Dakota St.: 4,102
at Central Arkansas: 5,127

Now, now. Play nice. Let them have their shine on this "bored." xlolx

R.A.
December 8th, 2019, 01:00 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Only folk on this 'bored" care about the fcs playoffs as it stands today. The local-posting here are the only ones who have an interest in fcs playoff ball. That certainly explains that whopping 28.8K folk spread between 8 games on opening w/e.

The NDSU's, JMU's, Montana's, ... true fcs heavyweights of the world should probably re-evaluate who they invite to their playoff party because obviously the currents aren't bringing any revenue generating fans to their games while they continue to invite historical beat-down opponents. xlolx lol

Complete agreement.