PDA

View Full Version : Albany at #5 Montana State

UAalum72
December 2nd, 2019, 01:28 PM
Because somebody ought to post this, even if Bobcat fans don't know why Albany would bother to show up.

It may be closer than they think.

bobcathpdevil56
December 2nd, 2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks for starting the thread. I was going to but got real nervous like when it came time to create the poll.

- - - Updated - - -

This will be a great game. Need to have the focused, aggressive team that showed up against the Griz, show up again on Saturday.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 01:46 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49152500581_b6bb21c14a_o.jpg

Pretty simple for Albany... stop Montana St's ground game stop Montana St. The Bobcats are 9-1 when they go over 150 rushing yards and 0-2 when they don't. That's easier said than done though against the 6th best rushing attack in the FCS.

UAalum72
December 2nd, 2019, 01:58 PM
That’s one of those false stats - teams rush for more yards BECAUSE they’re ahead and working the clock. They pass more when they’re behind and need to score in a hurry.

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2019, 01:59 PM
Because somebody ought to post this, even if Bobcat fans don't know why Albany would bother to show up.

It may be closer than they think.

Thanks UAalum72! I've been waiting for someone to get this discussion going. I even contemplated asking on other threads, because like bobcathpdevil, I was apprehensive of starting a thread, especially needing a poll.

I caught the end of the 2nd to mid-4th quarter of the Danes' game and was impressed by the passing game. #4 and #11 looked really good. Our secondary has its work cut out for it indeed. Hopefully our DL can make Undercuffler uncomfortable and force a mistake or two. As Chaos said, there's no secret how we plan to win the game: control the LOS on both sides of the ball and pound away with a stable of people running the ball (think I even saw a concession worker take a handoff against the Griz).

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2019, 02:04 PM
That’s one of those false stats - teams rush for more yards BECAUSE they’re ahead and working the clock. They pass more when they’re behind and need to score in a hurry.

Not in MSU's case... we only average .65 more yards per pass attempt than rushing attempt and with the more substantial risk of bad things happening given the quality of our QB play, we're really better off running the ball regardless unless it's REALLY late. We're more likely to break off a big run for chunk yards than a big pass downfield. The only real benefit is an incompletion stops the clock, while a run that doesn't get the 1st down keeps the clock running.

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2019, 02:06 PM
Interesting that we are trailing in early polling... FAKE POLLS!!!

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
Catch 22... they're usually getting ahead because they're running the ball well. Montana St, along with most run heavy teams, build leads and maintain leads with the run game. Yeah, your defense needs to get an occasional stop and turnovers can throw a monkey wrench into that but that the point still stands. Whether Albany contains Montana St's ground game just through sheer defensive prowess, because they turn them over, or because their offense jumps out to a lead it all gives them a better chance to win the game.

Grizzlies82
December 2nd, 2019, 02:40 PM

Montana State is an anomaly. They are a rushing team by choice but also out of necessity. They have 3 or 4 marginal QBs. They will throw the ball about 1/3rd of the time. They CAN occasionally throw a nice deep pass. However none of their QBs can seem to do it consistently. They'll get some passing yards on Albany but probably not too many.

The Bobcat rushing attack is effective and unconventional in nature. Because of injuries and by design they utilize about 10 different running backs. They've had six or seven put in 100 yard games this year. These are some good backs (especially Ifanse).

However, their effectiveness seems to rely on the Bobcat offensive line. When they are "on" they are bulldozers making holes I can run through. When they're not (see Sacramento State, North Dakota, and Texas Tech) their line looks unbelievably porous and bad. I have no idea which one will show up Saturday but stop their run and Albany wins. Tell your coach that is the key. :)

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2019, 03:31 PM
Montana State is an anomaly. They are a rushing team by choice but also out of necessity. They have 3 or 4 marginal QBs. They will throw the ball about 1/3rd of the time. They CAN occasionally throw a nice deep pass. However none of their QBs can seem to do it consistently. They'll get some passing yards on Albany but probably not too many.

The Bobcat rushing attack is effective and unconventional in nature. Because of injuries and by design they utilize about 10 different running backs. They've had six or seven put in 100 yard games this year. These are some good backs (especially Ifanse).

However, their effectiveness seems to rely on the Bobcat offensive line. When they are "on" they are bulldozers making holes I can run through. When they're not (see Sacramento State, North Dakota, and Texas Tech) their line looks unbelievably porous and bad. I have no idea which one will show up Saturday but stop their run and Albany wins. Tell your coach that is the key. :)

This is why I wish Choate would dial up a few more deep balls off of PA. Virtually NO ONE respects our deep passing game (and with good reason xembarrassedx) but with everyone playing up on defense, a good play action could lead to either blown coverage and a guy streaking wide open or 1-on-1 50-50 balls where 2 outcomes are favorable (big pass play or 15 yard PI), 1 is neutral (incomplete) and 1 is bad, but probably not terrible (INT that amounts to a decent punt assuming no return albeit earlier than the punt would have potentially occurred). If the coverage is there, check it down, QB keeps it, or throw it away.

catbob
December 2nd, 2019, 05:27 PM
No one seems to be talking about MSU's defense. In their last 5 games the starting DEFENSE itself has allowed:

@ UND - L 12-16 - one ugly game but the Cats defense allowed 10 points and UND's TD was a trick play (still counts obviously)
SUU - W 42-7 - SUU scored on our 3rd string defense, it was 42-0 at halftime
@ UNC - W 45-14 - UNC ties it up 7-7 on a pick six. They don't score again until our 3rd string defense is in the game when we were up 45-7
@ UCD - W 27-17 - gave up 17 on the road
UM W 48-14 - Gave up 14 to the 13th rated scoring offense in the country (35.9 PPG even including this game)

So if you are looking at points scored on the MSU starting defense, you're looking at 41 total points over the last 5 games combined. Obviously there are plenty of other ways to score but MSU's starting defense has been playing lights out the last 5 weeks.

Conversely all of those points scored were by MSU's offense which everyone knows is one dimensional. Somehow with a one dimensional offense and a supposedly terrible passing attack, the Cats are the #22 scoring offense in the country and have only turned the ball over 9 times. What's the benefit of never passing? Never throwing interceptions.

Catbooster
December 2nd, 2019, 07:20 PM
Choate's press conference about the upcoming Albany game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7buNPd9_OM&feature=emb_logo

There are a couple places to get the press conferences but this one is the only one that is able to get the sound so you can hear the questions.

CopperCat
December 2nd, 2019, 11:27 PM
I watched the UA-CCSU game in its entirety, and while it took the Danes a whole half to wake up, it was obvious they have a solid team. The defense played well against what was a prolific CCSU offense.

But I’ll still take the MSU defense over the UA offense. And frankly, I think MSU has better athletes on both sides of the ball.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 3rd, 2019, 12:15 AM
This match up favors Montana St. Albany does not have a great rushing defense. Albany will put up some points through the air, but I think Montana St. uses the run and TOP to their advantage. 27-20 with Albany getting a TD late in Q4.

Schism55
December 3rd, 2019, 12:49 AM
Is Troy Anderson good to go for this game?

cats2506
December 3rd, 2019, 08:46 AM
nobody knows

catbob
December 3rd, 2019, 11:19 AM
This match up favors Montana St. Albany does not have a great rushing defense. Albany will put up some points through the air, but I think Montana St. uses the run and TOP to their advantage. 27-20 with Albany getting a TD late in Q4.

Seems to me Albany has thrived on turnovers - tied for 8th in the country in turnovers forced. That's how you finished 1st in the country in passing TDs, but only 5th in your own conference in pass yards per completion - short fields. Conversely MSU is tied for 2nd in the country in only turning the ball over 9 times. A benefit of not throwing the ball much, you don't throw many interceptions.

If MSU takes care of the ball and makes Albany go the length of the field and string drives together, that favors MSU. If MSU has success running the ball right out of the game, it may be a long day for Albany. MSU offense sort of feels its way around for the 1st quarter, 1.5 quarters as they figure out which "offense" in their arsenal is going to work best. If it works right away, that's where MSU has built 2 score leads by halftime and at that point it's almost over.

Grizzlies82
December 3rd, 2019, 01:28 PM

The coach hasn't said anything and wants opponents guessing.

Though I'll bet he is suited up and withheld from play (unless really needed). The guy is tough as hell. Yet he has multiple "injuries" and needs about 6 months to heal up. Since the coaches don't have that luxury they'll allow him to sit as long as possible. My guess is, if the cats win this weekend he'll play at Sacramento State.

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Jebus...Page 2... not a lot of interest in this game apparently. After leading in early voting, MSU is now being picked nearly 2-1 to win the game. Is that the reason for lack of discussion?

Chalupa Batman
December 4th, 2019, 12:07 PM
While I think Albany is a good team, I just don't know HOW good given their schedule so far. Very interested to see how they can hold up against the MSU rushing attack, and how well the offense does against a tough and physical Bobcat defense.

I'm thinking MSU wins something like 34-20

catbob
December 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM
From what I gather, Albany thrives on creating negative plays and forcing turnovers. MSU is extremely good at protecting the ball (9 turnovers all year) and thrives on attacking the gap. An undersized Albany DL who relies on twists and stunts, even if they aren't bringing pressure that much, could really play into MSU's favor. Even if they are making those TFLs or short yard stops, does Albany have the depth to do that all game long without wearing down? MSU has done that to just about every team this year, but we've certainly been stopped so it isn't an impossible task.

Undercuffler will get his yards and throw a few TDs most likely but I think this game is not a matter of if MSU's running game gets going, it's when. If it's in the first half, Cats win going away. If they don't find success until the 3rd or even 4th quarter, it'll be a nail biter and if MSU finds itself down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter that is the worst spot want to be, although we came back against NAU being down 31-14 in the 3rd quarter by quite literally running the ball at one point 22 straight times and winning 49-31.

Albany looks like a tough team with and old school toughness mentality, but I'm not sure they have the depth and size to out-tough the Bobcats for 4 quarters.

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Transitive property of football at work here, ladies and germs: Monmouth beat Albany by 3, Montana beat Monmouth by 20, MSU beat UM by 34. Subtracting 3 points from each home team, but adding 3 points back in for MSU hosting this week yields.... MSU by 51... Sound reasoning.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Transitive property of football at work here, ladies and germs: Monmouth beat Albany by 3, Montana beat Monmouth by 20, MSU beat UM by 34. Subtracting 3 points from each home team, but adding 3 points back in for MSU hosting this week yields.... MSU by 51... Sound reasoning.

I'm hoping things don't snowball on Albany this Saturday ..... pun intended....

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Weather (as predicted today, so subject to change) is going to be mild (42 degrees, partly cloudy, 6 mph wind). Given the weather Albany has had recently, they may be more suited to playing in the snow than MSU!

cats2506
December 4th, 2019, 02:48 PM
I think you want to talk to that other team over west if you want to talk about weather, they seem to like that subject for some reason

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2019, 02:53 PM
I think you want to talk to that other team over west if you want to talk about weather, they seem to like that subject for some reason

So I guess it's safe to assume just because the forecast in Bozeman looks good Missoula could be a total nightmare...

cats2506
December 4th, 2019, 03:03 PM
So I guess it's safe to assume just because the forecast in Bozeman looks good Missoula could be a total nightmare...
Missoula is a disaster, but it has nothing to do with the weather, weather forecast for their game is good too, but they still have a 7 page thread on their board about weather

Catbooster
December 4th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Missoula tends to have much milder winters than Bozeman. You're right that we don't always get the same storms.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Missoula is a disaster, but it has nothing to do with the weather, weather forecast for their game is good too, but they still have a 7 page thread on their board about weather

It has its problems like any place, but I would take it over the cancerous Californian tumor known as Bozeman. xnodx

BadlandsGrizFan
December 4th, 2019, 03:43 PM

We just have a lot more playoff games worth of topic on the matter than you guys.

cats2506
December 4th, 2019, 03:47 PM
It has its problems like any place, but I would take it over the cancerous Californian tumor known as Bozeman. xnodx
It takes a lot of moxie for someone from the left side of the state to talk trash about the cancerous Californians

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2019, 03:57 PM
It takes a lot of moxie for someone from the left side of the state to talk trash about the cancerous Californians
I'm not from Missoula nor do I live there.

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Uhhhh.....

https://twitter.com/MarkSingelais/status/1202364527792336901?s=20

cx500d
December 4th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Uhhhh.....

Holy ****, a dinosaur denier.... good thing they don’t have a NASA museum or holocaust museum there

Schism55
December 4th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Uhhhh.....

That Albany education at work xeyebrowx

Catbooster
December 4th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Uhhhh.....

Dammit! He's onto us!

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 09:03 PM
Uhhhh.....

Send him to Glendive!! There's a museum there that's a..... idk even how to describe it other than Jesus rode dinosaurs museum. Sounds up this dude's alley!

X-Factor
December 4th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Send him to Glendive!! There's a museum there that's a..... idk even how to describe it other than Jesus rode dinosaurs museum. Sounds up this dude's alley!

Just put up a sign that says the dinosaurs roamed the earth 1500 years ago.

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 09:12 PM
Just put up a sign that says the dinosaurs roamed the earth 1500 years ago.

Creationtruth.org Check the About page. The sad thing is they have nice fossils but they spin a narrative, especially to kids, that dismisses science.

WWII
December 4th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Albany's DL does not stunt much. They do substitute a lot. There are 6-7 DL players that get a lot of snaps.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 5th, 2019, 09:44 AM
Lol, he also siad that they would find them everywhere if dinosaurs existed...apparently he doesnt know that dinosaurs are in fact found everywhere??? Hopefully this guy is better at football than he is at science.

MSUBobcat
December 5th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Lol, he also siad that they would find them everywhere if dinosaurs existed...apparently he doesnt know that dinosaurs are in fact found everywhere??? Hopefully this guy is better at football than he is at science.

Dude's a ****ing GRAD STUDENT!!! I thought everyone, regardless of major, had to pass at least a couple science classes?? Was he sitting in Chemistry going, "yeah, I don't believe in your little "atom" thingies, but I'll play your game so I can pass this class."?

UAalum72
December 5th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately probably a third of Americans agree with him, many of them college-educated. Never underestimate the ability of the human mind to disregard science in the defense of belief.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Holy ****, a dinosaur denier.... good thing they don’t have a NASA museum or holocaust museum there

all he has to do is visit AGS, enough dinosaurs on here to open a museum

cx500d
December 5th, 2019, 04:06 PM
all he has to do is visit AGS, enough dinosaurs on here to open a museum

I know, I saw them at the game in Newark.

knit35
December 5th, 2019, 04:08 PM

"Funnier than two other people" ​should say three now

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2019, 04:22 PM

Yep, that group pic with the Bison fans contributed mightily to the prehistoric feel.....

cx500d
December 5th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Yep, that group pic with the Bison fans contributed mightily to the prehistoric feel.....

Bison fans were like spring chickens compared to those fossils.

MSUBobcat
December 5th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Take your **** elsewhere, fellas. Thanks

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2019, 08:52 PM

if we leave only the tumbleweed will be left blowing through this thread

MR. CHICKEN
December 5th, 2019, 09:09 PM

....LIKE YOUSE NEVERAH....TOOK PART....IN UH HI-JACKIN'.......AWK!

......LAFF @ DUH DINOSAURS.........WE'LL BE EXTINCT......B/4....YOU'LL HALFTA WEAR....HEAT RETARDANT SUITS......TA CHECK DUH MAIL........BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
December 5th, 2019, 09:29 PM
....LIKE YOUSE NEVERAH....TOOK PART....IN UH HI-JACKIN'.......AWK!

......LAFF @ DUH DINOSAURS.........WE'LL BE EXTINCT......B/4....YOU'LL HALFTA WEAR....HEAT RETARDANT SUITS......TA CHECK DUH MAIL........BRAWK!

I can't recall hijacking a game thread with lame ass old-shaming jokes, but my memory could be failing me.

cx500d
December 5th, 2019, 09:59 PM
I can't recall hijacking a game thread with lame ass old-shaming jokes, but my memory could be failing me.

For sure your sense of humor is failing you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Albany is ranked # 47 in rushing defense giving up 148/game. Can they stop or slow down the Montana State run game?

I'm skeptical.

Montana State by 2 TDs IMO.

WWII
December 6th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Albany fans are happy. When you're picked 12th (last) and finish 2nd. Host a first round game. Shake off a poor 25 minute poor first half and dominate the rest of the game.
Have a record setting freshman QB. The near future looks pretty good.

As far as Saturday goes, Montana States run game is very concerning. Albany has given up a lot of 6-15 yard runs all year. We've stiffened near the goal line but will have to have a good day defensively to prevail. We have to keep penalties down, they were a large factor in the loss in OT to Monmouth.

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 09:25 AM
For sure your sense of humor is failing you.

Sure it is, Corn Pop...

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Sure it is, Corn Pop...

.....NOW.....DAT'S....LAME A$$.....xnodx....BRAWK!

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 10:20 AM
Albany is ranked # 47 in rushing defense giving up 148/game. Can they stop or slow down the Montana State run game?

I'm skeptical.

Montana State by 2 TDs IMO.

That #47 rushing defense also came against an average of the #57 rushing offenses. The Danes have faced 4 offenses in the top 30 in rushing. 3 ran for 184 yards or more. Stony Brook was stifled to about 1/2 of their season average. I think Albany is going to have a tough time containing the hydra that is the Bobcat running game.

Albany looked talented in the passing game, and Undercuffler being a freshman makes their future seasons look bright. I just don't think they'll be able to get enough stops to pull the upset. I like your pick of MSU by 2 TD.

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 10:22 AM
.....NOW.....DAT'S....LAME A$$.....xnodx....BRAWK!

Trying to stick with the theme of age smack. All real high brow stuff. "Your fans are dinosaurs." "Nuh uh, yours are!" xrolleyesx

cx500d
December 6th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Sure it is, Corn Pop...

Copy, Uncle Joe

CopperCat
December 6th, 2019, 06:51 PM
MSU -9.5 according to ESPN. I think it will be MSU 14 or more at the final whistle.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2019, 09:38 AM
First instinct on this game is Montana State wins rather easily, but then I stated thinking (always dangerous)

after first Quarter last week, it looked like Albany was in trouble against Central Conn State, but took total control of the game and won easily

another thought is the Big Sky gets 4 seeds, are they really that good? Maybe but they will have to prove that today, they might just pull another CAA from last year and crap the spread to thin bed sheets...... We just don't know how good the Big Sky really is right now.... We will know soon enough

Schism55
December 7th, 2019, 01:19 PM
https://twitter.com/CPoolReporter/status/1203391746551382022

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Bobcats rolling in Bozeman....

33-7 12:06 3Q

wapiti
December 7th, 2019, 05:20 PM
MSU wins 47 - 21

Iridebikes
December 7th, 2019, 05:53 PM
First instinct on this game is Montana State wins rather easily, but then I stated thinking (always dangerous)

after first Quarter last week, it looked like Albany was in trouble against Central Conn State, but took total control of the game and won easily

another thought is the Big Sky gets 4 seeds, are they really that good? Maybe but they will have to prove that today, they might just pull another CAA from last year and crap the spread to thin bed sheets...... We just don't know how good the Big Sky really is right now.... We will know soon enough

The Sky is that good. Second year in a row with at least three teams in the quarters. Not sure we have the supper team but the conference depth is certainly there.

CopperCat
December 7th, 2019, 11:52 PM

Big Sky > CAA

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2019, 12:40 AM
Congrats Bobcats!

Gangtackle11
December 8th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Big Sky > CAA

Can’t argue that this season for sure. Congrats to the teams that advanced. xpeacex

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Big Sky > CAA

Ahead of the Valley this year also IMO.

Big Sky
Valley
CAA

Top 3 in that order IMO.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Big Sky > CAA

not even close really

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2019, 08:33 AM
....HOWEVERAH......JMU > BIG FLUFFY SKY..............BRAWQ!

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2019, 06:02 PM
We'll see about that.

WWII
December 8th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Good game Montana St. Good luck going forward.

CopperCat
December 8th, 2019, 09:50 PM
It’s the “big fluffy” that got 5 teams in the field this year with 4 seeds.

Big fluffy indeed

cats2506
December 9th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Ahead of the Valley this year also IMO.

Big Sky
Valley
CAA

Top 3 in that order IMO.

I wouldn't go that far, both have 3 in the quarters, but MVC still has the big dog.

CAA is definitely sucking hind tit though

Gangtackle11
December 9th, 2019, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't go that far, both have 3 in the quarters, but MVC still has the big dog.

CAA is definitely sucking hind tit though

CAA has a national contender JMU & the rest who would lose more (probably all especially road games) than they would win vs. MVFC or BSC playoff teams currently. We are a distant 3rd and in the convo to slide down. We’ll see what next year brings.

We can only hope that Delaware rises back to national prominence as promised here. :D Until then..... xpeacex

UNHWildcat18
December 9th, 2019, 12:17 PM
CAA has a national contender JMU & the rest who would lose more (probably all especially road games) than they would win vs. MVFC or BSC playoff teams currently. We are a distant 3rd and in the convo to slide down. We’ll see what next year brings.

We can only hope that Delaware rises back to national prominence as promised here. :D Until then..... xpeacex

Yeah outside of JMU....CAA has far too many young teams and teams in transitions. Still better than most conferences, but a definite third for sure. Hopefully next year we see a few stronger teams. Still hate you guys for blowing the game vs SELU. Honestly fire ferrente or whatever his name is. Really wanted to see how you would have done vs Montana.

cats2506
December 9th, 2019, 05:22 PM

CAA didn't show well last year either, the OVC is gaining ground on the CAA