PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown St. - 2019 Post Mortem

Paladin1aa
December 2nd, 2019, 10:28 AM
YSU finished a disastrous season going 6-6. My preseason prediction was for a 7-5 year. However they lost to. Boyle-less ISUb where I picked them to win and should have had a shot at SIU for an 8-4 year but got blown out. Reasons for the bad season were a poor OL, low talent QB, and multiple holes in the D, namely the DBs and LBs. However, heap on a poor coaching staff who couldn’t counter in game adjustments and an easy 4 game cupcake schedule to start the season. That’s the good news.

Now for the bad news. YSU loses 4 of the starting 5 OL for next year. The returning starter at OT is a stinker and the backups returning show little star quality and there is nothing behind them should injuries hit. Their best QB was redshirted and played sparingly. He will be handicapped behind another poor OL. They are stacked at TE but position was wasted. Lack of a serious RB will carry over and while WR should improve with a returning starter who missed the season with injury, they will also have a redshirt Frosh coming in who lights it up. The D still has a problem secondary that needs addressed, average LBs with little depth and losses at DE and DT. The punter was inconsistent.

These needs far exceed their schollies for recruiting and I’m projecting them to have a losing season next year at this point. Frosh never help at OL so I expect they will try to rely on transfers and Jucos. RB is abysmal and another QB needs recruited for depth. Some coaches need to go and upgrade the staff. This, of course, ignores the real problem at YSU - they have a worthless AD who is the top problem followed by Bozo, a coach who is a proven failure and poor recruiter. Neither apparently will get canned and so the misery at YSU will continue. Recruiting update to follow.

Happy Holidays

Penguin Nation
December 3rd, 2019, 07:32 PM
I figured, particularly given the astonishingly gutless OOC schedule, that 8-4 was probable with a trip to the playoffs and getting whacked in the second round. Instead, the pattern of diminishing performance by DumBo continues, now with only 2 conference wins. FWIW, Wolford never had a 2-win season.

In 2020, Scumbag U replaces USD and ISUr with UND (at YSU) and 1-win Misery State. Definitely a more favorable schedule for YSU. Also, for the second straight year there is no P5 money game, but instead FBS's worst team...Akron. Finally they'll face a legit FCS opponent in EKU. With all of the losses of players, it seems doubtful they'll get to 8 wins in 2020 based on current information.

I saw on the cheerleader board that YSU is trying to get the rapist another year of eligibility. This of course is a few weeks after news breaking about the former YSU Women's tennis coach. Both situations require knowledge and action of the AD leadership, and even university leadership, and show a perverted advocacy for known sexual predators at even high levels of the administration that is unique to YSU. The Athletic Department isn't just incompetent...they appear to be a bunch of perverted sleazes.

Tazman2664
December 3rd, 2019, 08:54 PM
The advice I would offer you is basically what NDSU does just about every year. Your freshman coming in next year should be red shirted, the whole lot of them. NDSU does this year in and year out and then when you see a guy in his junior year shine it is because it is their fourth year, with the red shirt. I would recommend this for all FSC teams. That usually means for a couple of years you step back but you know it and can plan for it. Tuszka(?) did very good last year and this year is a standout, the next Phil Hanson some say. He redshirted his first year. When starting the red shirt process you know you are at least 3 years out from being respectful but in doing that year after year you will get good and on a consistent basis. You good get yourself to a point that year after year you have a chance at the conference title and more. Just some advice, take it for what it is worth.

Paladin1aa
December 3rd, 2019, 09:25 PM
Nice advice. YSU used to do that very thing , when they RECRUITED better. Still redshirt now. YSU Championship teams were built that way. People copied our program. However when you recruit poorly, you see those redshirts sitting on the bench in their 4th or 5th year in favor of underclassmen or transfer/ Jucos who are better but still limited ability. You would be shocked at the number of underdeveloped players who still sit in their 5th year.

Nice try, but no cookie.

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2019, 10:26 PM
NDSU also has seniors who rarely see game action and mostly contribute on the scout team. Of course it might be easier to get the “Rudy types” when you are the flagship in your state than most other FCS teams.

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Bo needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and find out why his players are quitting on him. Maybe it's the kids he's recruiting but to see it happen 3 years in a row with his recruits is pretty damning. Hopefully he gets it figured out and gets YSU back to prominence.

Tazman2664
December 4th, 2019, 10:24 AM
NDSU also has seniors who rarely see game action and mostly contribute on the scout team. Of course it might be easier to get the “Rudy types” when you are the flagship in your state than most other FCS teams.

NDSU has 15 ND kids from ND and only Brooks is a standout, not sure where they have the market on the Rudy's from ND. I know there are seniors that are not playing. But take a look at some of the top players for NDSU and look at their history. Tuszka redshirted and is an outstanding DE from SD, Ty Brooks probably their top RB redshirted from ND, Ben Ellefson probably the top TE redshirted from MN, Gabriel Cox Junior LB redshirted from MO, Costner Ching Sophmore DT redshirted from SD, Christian Watson a Sophomore WR red shirted from FL, even Tray Lance redshirted from MN. I believe that is what is making NDSU strong, just about all their incoming freshman redshirt. It allows them to understand the plays without having to worry about making a mistake and then the next year they start applying what they learned the previous year. They get to process all the information without worrying about making a mistake and they get to see what they learn in action. The whole process allows for a better learning and understanding of what they will be asked to do. When you take a look at the seniors bios you see that almost all of them redshirted. Even Dimitri Williams did not redshirt his freshman year but he did after his Junior year. I think redshirting is the key to success. Bussey the freshman RB from FL who on 2 carries rushed for over 100 yards and 2 TDs probably will redshirt this year, he only played in the WIU game so far. Seriously, his first 2 carries went for over 100 yards and were both for TDs. How nice will it be to have him around for 4 more years.

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 10:37 AM
NDSU has 15 ND kids from ND and only Brooks is a standout, not sure where they have the market on the Rudy's from ND. I know there are seniors that are not playing. But take a look at some of the top players for NDSU and look at their history. Tuszka redshirted and is an outstanding DE from SD, Ty Brooks probably their top RB redshirted from ND, Ben Ellefson probably the top TE redshirted from MN, Gabriel Cox Junior LB redshirted from MO, Costner Ching Sophmore DT redshirted from SD, Christian Watson a Sophomore WR red shirted from FL, even Tray Lance redshirted from MN. I believe that is what is making NDSU strong, just about all their incoming freshman redshirt. It allows them to understand the plays without having to worry about making a mistake and then the next year they start applying what they learned the previous year. They get to process all the information without worrying about making a mistake and they get to see what they learn in action. The whole process allows for a better learning and understanding of what they will be asked to do. When you take a look at the seniors bios you see that almost all of them redshirted. Even Dimitri Williams did not redshirt his freshman year but he did after his Junior year. I think redshirting is the key to success. Bussey the freshman RB from FL who on 2 carries rushed for over 100 yards and 2 TDs probably will redshirt this year, he only played in the WIU game so far. Seriously, his first 2 carries went for over 100 yards and were both for TDs. How nice will it be to have him around for 4 more years.
It's Jabril.

Most schools try to redshirt most of their freshmen, it's not something exclusive to NDSU. We've been fortunate to have the retention rate to accomodate that the last 8-9 years. We struggled with it at times before too. We also have a handful of true freshmen that will not be redshirting which is also the case most years.

Tazman2664
December 4th, 2019, 11:13 AM
It's Jabril.

Most schools try to redshirt most of their freshmen, it's not something exclusive to NDSU. We've been fortunate to have the retention rate to accomodate that the last 8-9 years. We struggled with it at times before too. We also have a handful of true freshmen that will not be redshirting which is also the case most years.

I know it is ideal but most schools are not able to redshirt their better players. As the one guy said, when you don't recruit strong you don't get to redshirt. And it appears that many of the programs are not recruiting strong. I believe in looking at NDSU and seeing all their good players today and see that they all redshirted just speaks volumes.

I am curious with which Freshman on NDSU will not redshirt? Remember, they can play in 4 games, I think it is, and still redshirt. Like Bussey, he has played just in the WIU game and therefore can redshirt and with the backs that they have they can do that with him but he is FAST.

Paladin1aa
December 4th, 2019, 12:13 PM
The landscape has changed today in recruiting. Years ago the gold mines were California, Texas, Florida, Ohio and Pa. Today those states are still hotbeds, but well picked over by most P5 leagues . There are leftovers there that benefits FCS programs. However, other states have done well in developing H.S. Programs and so players are more numerous. In YSUs case, they are wasting valuable schollies concentrating on Ohio leftovers when better players are available in Fla.,Ga.,Texas and Cal. Which YSU used to spend more time in. Even NDSU has peppered in players from those states. The advantage is the Dakotas are minor league players not heavily pursued by the majors and have NO FBS schools in them. In Ohio, you have Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Miami, BG, Ohio, Kent St. and Akron in addition to being heavily mined by the Big 10, Notre Dame and most of the other majors. Bozo needs to get his lazy butt out of state to get better players. And especially pass on the local kids in the Valley that pressure YSU politically to provide schollies to, even as they are substandard.

Redshirts help with quality recruits. Some will be too good not to play as true Frosh, however. But too many stinkers and even 5th year seniors are no help.

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 01:51 PM
I know it is ideal but most schools are not able to redshirt their better players. As the one guy said, when you don't recruit strong you don't get to redshirt. And it appears that many of the programs are not recruiting strong. I believe in looking at NDSU and seeing all their good players today and see that they all redshirted just speaks volumes.

I am curious with which Freshman on NDSU will not redshirt? Remember, they can play in 4 games, I think it is, and still redshirt. Like Bussey, he has played just in the WIU game and therefore can redshirt and with the backs that they have they can do that with him but he is FAST.

Well Griffin Crosa, Julian Wlodarczk, Kobe Johnson and Luke Weerts have already lost their redshirts since they've played in more then 4 games. Will Mostaert has played in 4 currently.

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2019, 09:41 AM
YSU recruiting update -

It is truly astounding, But YSU has signed another stinker class. Ugly. Awful . A great collection of D-II talent, projects and D-I rejects. So far,22 signed including 1 transfer and 2 Jucos. Best so far are Tariq Williamson, 6’3, 240 DE with many D-I offers and Chase Glover, a 6’5 WR. The rest have little or no other offers and those who have limited offers have D-II and poor D-I programs ( limited). Worse, none are from any hotbed of recruiting - Florida, Ga., Tx. , Cal. Etc. Truly shocking when viewed on film.

Bozo needs fired. This is terrible. The lost decade continues. The MVFC can look forward to beating YSU like a rag doll for years ahead.

Paladin1aa
December 18th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Add another forgettable - Stephon Jones, 6’2, 345 OL, another Juco. Bozo recruited him at the dinner table. After he had dessert.

Another recruiting season bust.

Schism55
December 18th, 2019, 04:34 PM
https://twitter.com/APstylz/status/1207424778136629250
Some good news for the 'Guins.

ytownchief22
December 18th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Big time pickup for YSU.

Demeatric Crenshaw, a 6-2 dual threat QB who won 2 state titles as QB of Pickerington Central just committed over offers from BC, Cincy, Indiana, Kentucky and Louisville.

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Careful, Chief. Crenshaw is an excellent QB, but he has only COMMITED for the Feb. signing. This smells. With 10 D-I offers, this tells me he is still “ shopping around”. 3 star QB, 6’2, 225 and I saw the 2 big school state titles he won. Stud, no doubt. And dual threat. Let’s see if he signs in Feb or disappears and goes elsewhere.

ysubigred
December 19th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Careful, Chief. Crenshaw is an excellent QB, but he has only COMMITED for the Feb. signing. This smells. With 10 D-I offers, this tells me he is still “ shopping around”. 3 star QB, 6’2, 225 and I saw the 2 big school state titles he won. Stud, no doubt. And dual threat. Let’s see if he signs in Feb or disappears and goes elsewhere.

I'm not sure about Crenshaw either. Waid is the man right now so having two high profile QB's might indicate one may not pan out?

Pally I appreciate you honest assessment of things but I'm convinced that Bo could recruit ~ 30 5 star recruits and you'd still call it a "stinker" class and he should be fired LOL!

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Red, I’ve been rating YSU recruit classes for a long, long time. Predicted the good years and the bad years. Watched Bozo get to the NC game with Wolfs recruits, the last good FCS players YSU had and then told you each year since how bad Bozos annual recruit classes have been. You do recall the record over those years, don’t you ? Case closed. This year, so far, is another stinker.

Even told you what they needed this year - OL and QB. Throw in some RBs and WRs. Look at what they recruited. Problem is, they aren’t very good for this level. And, I believe the QB is shopping around.

And Red, you must really think I’m stupid to declare 30 5star recruits a stinker class, lol

ytownchief22
December 19th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Makes you wonder about Waid and the staffs confidence in his ability to throw and manage the playbook. Every game he was in this year it was mostly running. We shall see.

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Waid was an excellent H.S. QB, but there are questions about his arm. Excellent runner. I predicted they would go after another QB, if not because of questions about Waids arm but also because Craycraft May transfer if it looks like he won’t start next year, leaving them with limited talent walk on QBs. Not sold Crenshaw is coming and they may be looking at Cal. Jucos next.

ysubigred
December 19th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Red, I’ve been rating YSU recruit classes for a long, long time. Predicted the good years and the bad years. Watched Bozo get to the NC game with Wolfs recruits, the last good FCS players YSU had and then told you each year since how bad Bozos annual recruit classes have been. You do recall the record over those years, don’t you ? Case closed. This year, so far, is another stinker.

Even told you what they needed this year - OL and QB. Throw in some RBs and WRs. Look at what they recruited. Problem is, they aren’t very good for this level. And, I believe the QB is shopping around.

And Red, you must really think I’m stupid to declare 30 5star recruits a stinker class, lol

Nah, I know you're smarter than that,, just that big of a hater xsmiley_wix

Paladin1aa
December 19th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Spent the day in Cleveland. Got home and read the cheerleader board. They are swallowing Bozos BS that this is his second straight great class,lol. We will resume this discussion in a few years. You heard it here first - the classes are stinkers.

Chief - I repeat, they are looking at Calif. Jucos as we speak. Crenshaw is not a lock to go to YSU. If he does, great. If he doesn’t they may lose one of the 2 schollies QBs and injuries could leave them holding their schlock come game time. Feb signings could be interesting.

cx500d
December 20th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Spent the day in Cleveland. Got home and read the cheerleader board. They are swallowing Bozos BS that this is his second straight great class,lol. We will resume this discussion in a few years. You heard it here first - the classes are stinkers.

Chief - I repeat, they are looking at Calif. Jucos as we speak. Crenshaw is not a lock to go to YSU. If he does, great. If he doesn’t they may lose one of the 2 schollies QBs and injuries could leave them holding their schlock come game time. Feb signings could be interesting.
why do the ca jucos still have football after most of the UC and CSUs don’t have it anymore

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2019, 07:33 AM
Cx500d - my guess is money. Regular college and major football is expensive compared to inexpensive Juco and inexpensive Juco football. Limited coach and staff salaries,stadium (should I say fields), little travel costs and limited schollie costs.

From time to time, some very good players come out of Jucos.

The Yo Show
December 21st, 2019, 09:44 AM

Ummm... they changed early signing rules Pally see below copied from sports illustrated:

"This year's early signing period spans from Wednesday, Dec. 18 to Friday, Dec. 20. During those three days, more than 80% of prospects will sign their national letters of intent. Most of the action will happen on Wednesday, but many players will sign throughout the week.
Once a player signs a letter of intent, their recruiting process ends and other coaches cannot communicate with them. Players are locked into their decision, even if head coaches or assistants leave the program. If a player backs out, they enter the transfer portal and wait on a decision from the NCAA."

link to the article: https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/16/early-signing-day-dates-tv-schedule-recruiting

The Yo Show
December 21st, 2019, 09:47 AM
So... a dumb move to sign a letter of intent at early signing period now if intending to transfer. With transfer portal rules, he would be dependent on NCAA decision making, but besides that would still likely have to sit out a year somewhere else. This kid has made it very clear he wants to go in somewhere and start too. I have the article where he made that known to the cincy media who thought he would go to Ohio State. Not saying he wouldn't leave YSU, but if he does, he really just hurt himself by the signing letter.

The Yo Show
December 21st, 2019, 09:49 AM
Also, I'm not sold on this class being a stinker either just FYI. I'm not saying its great, but we finally are recruiting linemen in mass. Its definitely the best class I've seen under Pelini, but of course, Bo wasn't the one to recruit it lol. His brother recruited this class.

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2019, 04:45 PM
Yo - Crenshaw didn’t sign anything early. He is a verbal commit , and will sign in Feb with someone. Maybe YSU. Saw him play - outstanding and with 10 D-I offers, may get more and sign with a P5 where he is told he’ll have a solid shot to start. Right now he is free to do as he pleases, until he signs.

Glad you like the class and it’s linemen. That, as I evaluate it, is why I called it a stinker. The linemen are not very good. The DE looks very good. The kid from AZA over eats and looks no better than Yoboue , also from AZA who rarely saw the field as a Jr. Juco. Gump is over rated and had little D-I interest. The center prospect is a project. Bozo missed out on better players from Florida, Texas and Ca. Why ?

Bozo says they will be great in 2020. Don’t bet your hard earned money. Chances are pretty good right now of losing season.

The Yo Show
December 21st, 2019, 07:00 PM
Yo - Crenshaw didn’t sign anything early. He is a verbal commit , and will sign in Feb with someone. Maybe YSU. Saw him play - outstanding and with 10 D-I offers, may get more and sign with a P5 where he is told he’ll have a solid shot to start. Right now he is free to do as he pleases, until he signs.

Glad you like the class and it’s linemen. That, as I evaluate it, is why I called it a stinker. The linemen are not very good. The DE looks very good. The kid from AZA over eats and looks no better than Yoboue , also from AZA who rarely saw the field as a Jr. Juco. Gump is over rated and had little D-I interest. The center prospect is a project. Bozo missed out on better players from Florida, Texas and Ca. Why ?

Bozo says they will be great in 2020. Don’t bet your hard earned money. Chances are pretty good right now of losing season.

Ah you are correct about Crenshaw. Didn't realize he didn't sign with the early signees.

Paladin1aa
December 21st, 2019, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately, Yo, much of the info on the cheerleader board is inaccurate or pure BS. Most swallow Bozos crap and have no real idea of the talent on the roster. Because someone fills out a uniform does not make them great. When the game starts, only then will most see what I’m warning about. That was plainly evident after Bozo ran out of Wolfs recruits. And so, the program destruction continues and will until moRon and Bozo are gone.

Schism55
February 5th, 2020, 01:25 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1225137389519196160

The Yo Show
February 5th, 2020, 01:41 PM
When it rains it pours big loss.

Paladin1aa
February 5th, 2020, 03:04 PM
LOL ! You can’t make this up. Losing Reed is huge. Signing a h.s. coach is pure folly. Just watch and see what they PAY the h.s. coach. I’ll bet it ain’t $200k.

Stand by every bit of my evaluation post season. The program is a raging dumpster fire.