PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Louisiana @ Montana

Daytripper
December 1st, 2019, 08:51 AM
Round 2 with the winner matching up against the KSU/Weber winner.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 10:40 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49152705182_30a11aab9a_o.jpg

I like Montana in this game. No one has gotten within 2 scores of them at Washington-Grizzly Stadium this year and they've played some good teams there like Monmouth, Eastern Washington, and Weber St. The atmosphere should be especially amped up for their first (non-Thanksgiving weekend) playoff home game since 2013 and I have a feeling they'll be itching to get back out there and get the bad taste out of their mouths from their embarrassing performance in Bozeman a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure SLU will get their points but I think Montana eventually overwhelms them in Missoula.

fencer24
December 1st, 2019, 10:51 AM
Wow, pretty evenly matched statistically. Just like Nova was. One thing about the Griz this year is that there are no nail biters. They either win by more than 14 or they lose by more than 14. Have to go with the home team on this one. Seems like in the first round, that was a decided advantage.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2019, 10:57 AM
Extended forecast has it decent (mid to up 30s) in Missoula for next weekend. I have to think everyone on SELA's roster has experienced mid 30s at least once in their life.

SELA has some legit athletes and should pose some problems. I had 'Nova winning and giving Montana trouble. As it turned out, I do think SELA can push the Griz. However, I think they could be in some trouble in the trenches.

uofmman1122
December 1st, 2019, 01:44 PM
If they can get the ball out quickly to their speedy players consistently, I think we'll be in trouble.

If we can rattle their QB, though, it may turn into a blowout. Better QBs than him have come into Washington Grizzly this season and fallen apart.

I just hope our team isn't too injured.

cx500d
December 1st, 2019, 01:47 PM
Post some pictures of really ****ty cold snowy games played at Wa-Griz

JacksFan40
December 1st, 2019, 02:04 PM
If this wasn’t in Missoula I’d pick SE Louisiana, but I never pick against Montana at home.

putter
December 1st, 2019, 02:36 PM
I like the Griz WR matchups. Key will be getting pressure on SELA QB. Guy is a load and can sling it

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2019, 02:55 PM
Watching the Griz against Montana State .....again....they looked like crap. If that Griz team shows up they lose.

putter
December 1st, 2019, 02:58 PM
Watching the Griz against Montana State .....again....they looked like crap. If that Griz team shows up they lose.

IF that Griz team shows up a high school team would beat them by 10

Grizzlies82
December 1st, 2019, 04:10 PM
SE Louisiana looked fast and moved the ball well versus Villanova. Though watching them versus Nicholls I wasn't nearly as impressed (even though they almost won).

Still suspect this will be a great game. Montana will have its hands full in a likely high scoring affair. I believe Grizzlies will win but it makes me nervous to see the poll favors the Griz 4 to 1.

Hope SELA fans can make it up to Missoula. If you come you will enjoy it. Montana easily has the best venue in FCS football. That is not just bragging, it is a fact you'll agree with if you attend.

Weather should be decent and the game a close one. Hope to see you there. Go Griz!

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 04:45 PM
SE Louisiana looked fast and moved the ball well versus Villanova. Though watching them versus Nicholls I wasn't nearly as impressed (even though they almost won).

Still suspect this will be a great game. Montana will have its hands full in a likely high scoring affair. I believe Grizzlies will win but it makes me nervous to see the poll favors the Griz 4 to 1.

Hope SELA fans can make it up to Missoula. If you come you will enjoy it. Montana easily has the best venue in FCS football. That is not just bragging, it is a fact you'll agree with if you attend.

Weather should be decent and the game a close one. Hope to see you there. Go Griz!

We'll be there. Very much looking forward to it.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2019, 05:10 PM
Post some pictures of really ****ty cold snowy games played at Wa-Griz
The good old days...
https://i.postimg.cc/PqP7Y3Gz/3efc6f20-e7a4-11de-8fa3-001cc4c03286-image.jpg

cx500d
December 1st, 2019, 05:14 PM
Weather should be decent ...

Ah Damn....

Grizzlies82
December 1st, 2019, 05:15 PM
We'll be there. Very much looking forward to it.

Glad you're coming up! I'll be driving over Friday (about 350 miles). When I arrive if I see you (or any SELA fans) out and about I will buy you a beer.

I don't think UM and SE LA have ever played before. Playoffs are always better when you see some new opponents. I'm confident you'll have a good time (possibly even enjoy a win... though I hope not!!!). Let me know afterwards if you agree the Univ of Montana is the best venue in FCS football. Good luck to all, hope everyone comes out healthy. Go Griz!

Grizzlies82
December 1st, 2019, 05:18 PM
The good old days...
https://i.postimg.cc/PqP7Y3Gz/3efc6f20-e7a4-11de-8fa3-001cc4c03286-image.jpg

This is why Appalachian State had to leave the FCS. Though we did the same thing to Boise State. Pushed them both out. :)
Grizalltheway nice photo. Though that picture was taken before the snow really began to fall.

Grizalltheway
December 1st, 2019, 05:25 PM
This is why Appalachian State had to leave the FCS. Though we did the same thing to Boise State. Pushed them both out. :)
Grizalltheway nice photo. Though that picture was taken before the snow really began to fall.

That was the best one I could find that actually shows the snow falling. The highlights of that one are always worth a watch, though.

BEAR
December 1st, 2019, 05:33 PM
SLU plays up when the competition is tougher. Gotta go with them for that reason. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
December 1st, 2019, 05:43 PM
These pictures...

https://www.makeitmissoula.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_1489_sm.jpg

Are all from...

https://www.makeitmissoula.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_1942_sm-1.jpg

The same game.

https://www.makeitmissoula.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_1998_sm-1.jpg

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 05:47 PM
Glad you're coming up! I'll be driving over Friday (about 350 miles). When I arrive if I see you (or any SELA fans) out and about I will buy you a beer.

I don't think UM and SE LA have ever played before. Playoffs are always better when you see some new opponents. I'm confident you'll have a good time (possibly even enjoy a win... though I hope not!!!). Let me know afterwards if you agree the Univ of Montana is the best venue in FCS football. Good luck to all, hope everyone comes out healthy. Go Griz!

Yes, this is the first match up between us on the gridiron. We have faced each other in hoops several years back but first time in football. I'm sure you'll see us out-and-about Friday night. Win or lose, we enjoy traveling to new places and playing fresh faces. It's what college football and the playoffs are all about. In 2013 and 2014, we had to play Sam Houston each year, and that wasn't fun. We beat them twice in (regular season and playoffs) in '13, but they got us late in 2014. Didn't even feel like a playoff game. Yesterday's game with Villanova definitely had a playoff feel even though students were out of town.

We'll take you up on the beer. xdrunkyx

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 05:50 PM
SLU plays up when the competition is tougher. Gotta go with them for that reason. xthumbsupx

Only thing that's really stopped us this year is ourselves with turnovers and penalties. We were minus three yesterday, including giving up the pick 6 in the red zone, but managed to dodge giving up points on the other two. Plus we kept the penalties down. When we get out of our own way, we're going to move the ball and score touchdowns on just about anybody.

katss07
December 1st, 2019, 05:57 PM
The FCS is better when the Griz are good. Glad to see that playoff football is back in Missoula! Pulling for the Lions, hope they can represent the Southland well and show that the conference has caught up to the big boys.

Lets hope the second half Lions show up.

Silenoz
December 2nd, 2019, 10:35 AM
Judging by our season, someone is getting destroyed in this game. I don't know who, but it's definitely happening.

100%GRIZ
December 2nd, 2019, 10:40 AM
Judging by our season, someone is getting destroyed in this game. I don't know who, but it's definitely happening.
I agree 100%. Hopefully Bobby will get them jacked up a little better then the previous game. Rumor has it either a hurt player gets back in the mix or someone totally unexpected will play for the Griz!

Outsider1
December 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Unless SLU just falls apart, I expect this to be a really good game just like the Nova game was.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 12:16 PM
what happened to WR Akem, noticed he's been out the past 2 games

uofmman1122
December 2nd, 2019, 12:33 PM
Foot injury is what people are saying.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 12:53 PM
Foot injury is what people are saying.

that's too bad, injury reports are always top secret for many different reasons it seems, I'm actually checking out your game against UC Davis right now, Akem looks good and hope he is ready to go on Saturday. Toure is a stud and this Louis Mcgee guy is gutzy....

if the weather is good and wind and snow stays away this game will be an air raid from both teams..... SeLa can be passed on and just a glimpse of Montana tells me they can too.....

uofmman1122
December 2nd, 2019, 12:59 PM
that's too bad, injury reports are always top secret for many different reasons it seems, I'm actually checking out your game against UC Davis right now, Akem looks good and hope he is ready to go on Saturday. Toure is a stud and this Louis Mcgee guy is gutzy....

if the weather is good and wind and snow stays away this game will be an air raid from both teams..... SeLa can be passed on and just a glimpse of Montana tells me they can too.....
People are also saying he might not be back this season. I guess we'll see. Hauck plays all the injury stuff super close to the vest.

We have a guy with a torn ACL still listed on our two-deep, so...lol

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2019, 01:50 PM

We've had some injuries in the secondary to deal with the last three weeks (as have most teams), but we've also faced six of the top 14 passers in FCS this season, statistically speaking. I haven't checked but my guess is we're the only school in the country to have faced that many. We've given up our share but we've also defended well at times, especially when we're healthy in the secondary. Hopefully we get Ferlando Jordan back this week. But the key for us as always will be pass rush. We're pretty good when we can affect the QB.

Silenoz
December 2nd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Akem is probably out, and Sneed is noticeable hobbled since he came back. That's like a 10 point difference alone.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 04:33 PM
We've had some injuries in the secondary to deal with the last three weeks (as have most teams), but we've also faced six of the top 14 passers in FCS this season, statistically speaking. I haven't checked but my guess is we're the only school in the country to have faced that many. We've given up our share but we've also defended well at times, especially when we're healthy in the secondary. Hopefully we get Ferlando Jordan back this week. But the key for us as always will be pass rush. We're pretty good when we can affect the QB.

LK, Thanks for the download, my comments are based of the last 2 games you have played.....despite giving up yards, you have some hard hitting physical players on D (not news for you I know), and so does Montana for sure.... they have some true Grizzlies playing LB...

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2019, 04:43 PM
LK, Thanks for the download, my comments are based of the last 2 games you have played.....despite giving up yards, you have some hard hitting physical players on D (not news for you I know), and so does Montana for sure.... they have some true Grizzlies playing LB...

It's the second round of the playoffs. 16 teams left. Everybody is good. Some better than others. A lot of it is about match ups at this point.

putter
December 4th, 2019, 12:25 AM
What I found surprising listening to the SLU coach is that they are flying in Friday afternoon. They will not have a walk-though as they will go directly to the hotel for the pre-game meal. Wont see the stadium until gameday, kind of unusual

lionsrking2
December 4th, 2019, 01:15 AM
What I found surprising listening to the SLU coach is that they are flying in Friday afternoon. They will not have a walk-though as they will go directly to the hotel for the pre-game meal. Wont see the stadium until gameday, kind of unusual

We never do walk-throughs the night before, and hardly anybody else does in these parts. We'll get their early enough on Saturday.

grizband
December 4th, 2019, 01:58 AM
Might be smart, considering what happened the last time an SLC team visited Montana in the playoffs. xrotatehx

BEAR
December 4th, 2019, 08:15 AM

The field is the same size as the one they play on at home. Pretty sure they won't do anything with the stadium itself. xlolx So unless there is a dip in the turf at random spots that they need to be made aware of then a walk through usually isn't needed. Well maybe the kickers might need to see if behind the goal is visually spread out or closed due to stands..perception thing. But other than that the fields should be the same. xlolx

cats2506
December 4th, 2019, 09:15 AM
It's the second round of the playoffs. 16 teams left. Everybody is good. Some better than others. A lot of it is about match ups at this point.

MSU doesn't usually do stadium walkthroughs anymore either, Our schedule has been like yours, Friday night flight, go straight to the hotel.

I was surprised that Albany was traveling on Thursday night, Practice in Bozeman on Friday morning and sightseeing in the afternoon, sounds like a distraction to me.

um/Bobby are old school though/ living in the pastxthumbsupx

100%GRIZ
December 4th, 2019, 09:28 AM
MSU doesn't usually do stadium walkthroughs anymore either, Our schedule has been like yours, Friday night flight, go straight to the hotel.

I was surprised that Albany was traveling on Thursday night, Practice in Bozeman on Friday morning and sightseeing in the afternoon, sounds like a distraction to me.

I see nothing wrong with making it a fun trip for Albany, probably the first and last time many will be this far west!

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2019, 09:42 AM

Do you even know what their road game schedule is like, or are you just continuing your trollfest?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 4th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Two time zones of travel, higher elevation in Bozeman, going a day earlier actually sounds like a good idea to me.

lionsrking2
December 4th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Two time zones of travel, higher elevation in Bozeman, going a day earlier actually sounds like a good idea to me.

They have to do what works best for them but I wouldn't advise going in early, especially traveling from east to west. I'd get in there the night before, wake up and go play. There's really nothing to adjust to other than the clock is two hours behind. Going west to east is a bit different, especially if it's an earlier time start.

lionsrking2
December 4th, 2019, 10:59 AM
The field is the same size as the one they play on at home. Pretty sure they won't do anything with the stadium itself. xlolx So unless there is a dip in the turf at random spots that they need to be made aware of then a walk through usually isn't needed. Well maybe the kickers might need to see if behind the goal is visually spread out or closed due to stands..perception thing. But other than that the fields should be the same. xlolx

Biggest thing is checking the condition of the turf to figure out what kind of shoes you need. But that's a game day thing anyway. We've played in big stadiums and small stadiums, the field is 53 1/3 by 120 everywhere we go. Show up, spot the ball and let's go.

cats2506
December 4th, 2019, 11:01 AM
As for elevation, they would be better to come late, the first 24 hours has little effect, after that it hits, it takes about 3 days to fully adjust. At 36 hours they should be feeling the effects if any.

I have guided lots of hunters from near sea level at 5000 to 6000 feet.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 4th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Do you even know what their road game schedule is like, or are you just continuing your trollfest?

Bobby has a better playoff history than all of the Bobcats program combined so I wouldnt take him too seriously.

MSUBobcat
December 4th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Bobby has a better playoff history than all of the Bobcats program combined so I wouldnt take him too seriously.

He does?!?! How many national championships does he have? Hell, how many Division I championships does Booby have??? Someone failed arithmetic. I'll help, 3>0. Even 1>0.

Tazman2664
December 4th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Biggest thing is checking the condition of the turf to figure out what kind of shoes you need. But that's a game day thing anyway. We've played in big stadiums and small stadiums, the field is 53 1/3 by 120 everywhere we go. Show up, spot the ball and let's go.

Wow, what year did you play fo SLU?

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 5th, 2019, 12:58 AM
He had tendon/ligament surgery on his foot and is done for the year.

BadlandsGrizFan
December 5th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I love when you guys count that tie....

My response was obviously exaggerated.

100%GRIZ
December 6th, 2019, 09:53 AM
As for elevation, they would be better to come late, the first 24 hours has little effect, after that it hits, it takes about 3 days to fully adjust. At 36 hours they should be feeling the effects if any.

I have guided lots of hunters from near sea level at 5000 to 6000 feet.
I can see these guys coming to Missoula will have very little effect the crisp weather may force a few incompletions though!

Grizzlies82
December 6th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Neither the elevation (3,500) nor the weather (38) will impact this game much. SLU is going to score some points. That is a fact. The key to this game is the Montana QB and his mobility. He couldn’t move worth a damn vs the bobcats. If he’s that limited tomorrow it will be tough for the Grizzlies to win.

It’s not the environment that will decide this game, it is Montana out scoring the Lions.

BEAR
December 6th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Neither the elevation (3,500) nor the weather (38) will impact this game much. SLU is going to score some points. That is a fact. The key to this game is the Montana QB and his mobility. He couldn’t move worth a damn vs the bobcats. If he’s that limited tomorrow it will be tough for the Grizzlies to win.

It’s not the environment that will decide this game, it is Montana out scoring the Lions.

Madden: The team that scores the most points usually wins the game.
xlolx

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 10:42 AM

For some reason, I guess I never realized Missoula was so much lower than Bozeman. Highly authoritative Wikipedia actually lists it as 3,190. That's basically the elevation of Billings, so I can't see that affecting any team.

I saw on 406 Sports that the mild weather prediction hasn't stopped the Griz faithful from claiming a LA team will wilt under such harsh conditions, however. xrotatehx

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2019, 11:13 AM
For some reason, I guess I never realized Missoula was so much lower than Bozeman. Highly authoritative Wikipedia actually lists it as 3,190. That's basically the elevation of Billings, so I can't see that affecting any team.

I saw on 406 Sports that the mild weather prediction hasn't stopped the Griz faithful from claiming a LA team will wilt under such harsh conditions, however. xrotatehx

I guess I missed that part of the article? I did see this, though.

The weather could play a factor in determining the winner. But it won’t be the deciding factor that automatically means a win for the Griz.

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 11:56 AM
I guess I missed that part of the article? I did see this, though.

I should have qualified that as "SOME OF" the Griz faithful, that's my bad. It's not everyone or even most, but some people that think a team from the South can't handle 30 degree temps while exerting enormous physical energy. At 38 and no wind, I'd be surprised to see many in long sleeves even. It's going to be a beautiful day for December football.

One post's headline tho - "It won't be warm here, that's for sure. At this time of year, any advantage that you can get would help. I don't know if it'll be an advantage or not. But it'll be cold, certainly." Montana Griz Football (https://www.facebook.com/MontanaGrizFootball/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARBHLoGwhPHLD6ayVF3owUoJMr_SVgDpYxoQfsnRbWSHAy DNcZIuECcPvQoq7PRPH-UcI2cetGxEhpB9&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDp6EeLzVs0tlZDSPw9qGAO72dP8_is 8bxYA8LxlwKUM2yg0vVEvLO521GltSybqxi-tJ89kPiYDcD1yX-TyeLdPQUsYFl-4NP-p1Bg0fdABIHRl1HV4gAPjj-3K0CikYyirSHEqEhWe4d54M6DBwmHs0qDSRkZXqyyYvTQ-l8-buqys8lffkwspO52eb1B9aXWCigQ0lNCOwqg15UW-ezKerhlOrxtmKqFZnLBgVuObzvMw4o4hvBHDeCy9FdK8MymCiY o8nsstIrFjkhOHXD8dtfbnPVdTAoCMW_5kMDHq2AGjIxIYaQxb J4fdMMRjyjRw7qscmdOllGhWHAEVdU) coach Bobby Hauck. (I'm not up to speed on how to properly link a quote like you did, and being at work, now's probably not the time to try to learn). However, from the article, "Few teams have fared well in Missoula. Montana is 29-7 (.806) at home overall in the playoffs and 15-3 (0.833) against warm-weather teams." It defined "warm-weather teams" as those with average low temps in the winter that are above freezing. Seems to me that a 3% increase from overall win % to warm-weather team win % is statistically insignificant. Wa-Griz's noise (and presumably being the better team if you're hosting any game after round 1) likely have a much bigger impact on the win % than the weather and elevation of less than 3,200 would have next to no impact IMO. If we were talking -2 like the Coastal game, I'd say weather may affect a South team, but 38? I play rec hockey which is colder than 38 and I sweat my ass off not wearing much under pads. I imagine high level football heats them up even more.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2019, 12:16 PM
I should have qualified that as "SOME OF" the Griz faithful, that's my bad. It's not everyone or even most, but some people that think a team from the South can't handle 30 degree temps while exerting enormous physical energy. At 38 and no wind, I'd be surprised to see many in long sleeves even. It's going to be a beautiful day for December football.

One post's headline tho - "It won't be warm here, that's for sure. At this time of year, any advantage that you can get would help. I don't know if it'll be an advantage or not. But it'll be cold, certainly." Montana Griz Football (https://www.facebook.com/MontanaGrizFootball/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARBHLoGwhPHLD6ayVF3owUoJMr_SVgDpYxoQfsnRbWSHAy DNcZIuECcPvQoq7PRPH-UcI2cetGxEhpB9&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDp6EeLzVs0tlZDSPw9qGAO72dP8_is 8bxYA8LxlwKUM2yg0vVEvLO521GltSybqxi-tJ89kPiYDcD1yX-TyeLdPQUsYFl-4NP-p1Bg0fdABIHRl1HV4gAPjj-3K0CikYyirSHEqEhWe4d54M6DBwmHs0qDSRkZXqyyYvTQ-l8-buqys8lffkwspO52eb1B9aXWCigQ0lNCOwqg15UW-ezKerhlOrxtmKqFZnLBgVuObzvMw4o4hvBHDeCy9FdK8MymCiY o8nsstIrFjkhOHXD8dtfbnPVdTAoCMW_5kMDHq2AGjIxIYaQxb J4fdMMRjyjRw7qscmdOllGhWHAEVdU) coach Bobby Hauck. (I'm not up to speed on how to properly link a quote like you did, and being at work, now's probably not the time to try to learn). However, from the article, "Few teams have fared well in Missoula. Montana is 29-7 (.806) at home overall in the playoffs and 15-3 (0.833) against warm-weather teams." It defined "warm-weather teams" as those with average low temps in the winter that are above freezing. Seems to me that a 3% increase from overall win % to warm-weather team win % is statistically insignificant. Wa-Griz's noise (and presumably being the better team if you're hosting any game after round 1) likely have a much bigger impact on the win % than the weather and elevation of less than 3,200 would have next to no impact IMO. If we were talking -2 like the Coastal game, I'd say weather may affect a South team, but 38? I play rec hockey which is colder than 38 and I sweat my ass off not wearing much under pads. I imagine high level football heats them up even more.

In almost all cases weather talk is pretty damn dumb. It might have some effect on the opposition if you are up on them pretty good and the Griz offense is out there and holding on to the ball for long stretches letting the other team really cool down and let the weather get in their heads a bit...but that is so small in the overall it is just one more straw on the pile that already exists when you are up, and driving consistently.

In other words it don't mean jack.

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2019, 12:25 PM

I'm not denying that a lot of Griz fans way over-blow the weather thing, but you specifically referenced that article, so that's what I addressed. xthumbsupx

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 12:27 PM
In almost all cases weather talk is pretty damn dumb. It might have some effect on the opposition if you are up on them pretty good and the Griz offense is out there and holding on to the ball for long stretches letting the other team really cool down and let the weather get in their heads a bit...but that is so small in the overall it is just one more straw on the pile that already exists when you are up, and driving consistently.

In other words it don't mean jack.

100% agree. Cold affecting your play is often a SYMPTOM of getting your ass kicked, not the CAUSE.

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I'm not denying that a lot of Griz fans way over-blow the weather thing, but you specifically referenced that article, so that's what I addressed. xthumbsupx

Actually I didn't specifically reference ANY article in my first post on the matter. In fact, I was more referring to comments on the article headlined, "Southeastern Louisiana coach Frank Scelfo not intimidated by playing in Washington-Grizzly Stadium in December" which prompted a few people to opine that they should be. Evidence found in that other article indicate their opinions aren't based on fact.

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Actually I didn't specifically reference ANY article in my first post on the matter. In fact, I was more referring to comments on the article headlined, "Southeastern Louisiana coach Frank Scelfo not intimidated by playing in Washington-Grizzly Stadium in December" which prompted a few people to opine that they should be. Evidence found in that other article indicate their opinions aren't based on fact.
Well, the vast majority of the teams who have played there in December haven't fared well, regardless of where they're based.

MSUBobcat
December 6th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Well, the vast majority of the teams who have played there in December haven't fared well, regardless of where they're based.

I stated that with this comment: "Seems to me that a 3% increase from overall win % to warm-weather team win % is statistically insignificant. Wa-Griz's noise (and presumably being the better team if you're hosting any game after round 1) likely have a much bigger impact on the win % than the weather and elevation of less than 3,200 would have next to no impact IMO." In fact, it's pretty much right in line with UM's win % in Wa-Griz overall (.860, again according to highly authoritative Wikipedia). Clearly, the slight decline in December can largely be attributed to playing better teams in playoffs than regular season.

Gangtackle11
December 6th, 2019, 02:13 PM
I haven’t seen Montana play in person, but I have a healthy respect for SELA. I think they give Montana one helluva game. xpeacex

cx500d
December 6th, 2019, 02:22 PM
I haven’t seen Montana play in person, but I have a healthy respect for SELA. I think they give Montana one helluva game. xpeacex
I could see why you would after blowing a 31-14 halftime lead.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2019, 03:27 PM
He had tendon/ligament surgery on his foot and is done for the year.

that's too bad, I always like to see teams at full strength

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2019, 03:39 PM
that's too bad, I always like to see teams at full strength

We've been a bit damaged at WR the last 5 or 6 games but we have some good fill in talent as well, just pretty young. I would really like to see us with him in there for sure though.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2019, 03:58 PM
We've been a bit damaged at WR the last 5 or 6 games but we have some good fill in talent as well, just pretty young. I would really like to see us with him in there for sure though.

off all the playoff games, this one is the most attractive to me

I like the speedy southern team coming up north to play the Griz and thank goodness the weather forecast is not that bad....

second must see is Kennesaw at Weber State...... Big Sky get's put to the test tomorrow..

Chalupa Batman
December 6th, 2019, 04:31 PM
The poll is already closed?

I think this is the best game of the weekend, I see it playing out very similarly to the Villanova-SLU game last week. I like SLU to pull the upset 38-35.

Grizzlies82
December 7th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Madden: The team that scores the most points usually wins the game.
xlolx

I met John Madden in 1969. He was a very nice man. As you can see he shared his coaching knowledge with me. 😁

MR. CHICKEN
December 7th, 2019, 11:59 AM
....GRIZZWALDS....HAVE UH CHANCE.......DEY'RE NOT PLAYIN' 'NOVA.....AWK!

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 01:01 PM
I didn't make the trek over, tho my family did. I'm pretty nervous TBH and the things that SELA does well on offense are the things the Griz D really struggle with overall. Calhoun, our DB, has been picked on pretty heavily the past few games, and I think he needs to have a big game for us.

Bison56
December 7th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Terrible call on roughing the kicker.

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Terrible call on roughing the kicker.

agreed. guy got blocked into him, but such is life. currently 7-7. SELA took the opening drive down and scored early. griz respond with 63 yd one play strike from Sneed to Toure. SELA turns the ball over on downs the next drive. griz currently with the ball

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 02:42 PM
Griz with a 32yd FG up 10-7 with 1:20 left in the 1st

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 03:38 PM
SELA scores to put some heat on the griz but ensuing Kickoff Malik Flowers takes it 81 yds to the house. griz up 31-14 with 1:54 left in the 1st half

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Griz are cruising!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM
'Griz destroying field filler SELA 65-28 13:11 4Q

CockyGeek
December 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Trying to score more than JMU

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Samari Toure has 12 rec 303yds and 3 TDs. Poor SELA DB has had one hell of a time trying to stop him.

ElCid
December 7th, 2019, 05:12 PM
'Griz destroying field filler SELA 65-28 13:11 4Q

You mean the field filler who beat Nova?

Schism55
December 7th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Grizz having a day, dang xdrunkyx

Go Lehigh TU owl
You mean the field filler who beat Nova?

Yup, I thought 'Nova gave that game away. Either way, clearly neither team is championship material.

dewey
Is Montana trying to be the highest scoring team today?

Go Griz!

Dewey

Bisonator
December 7th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Congrats to the Griz!

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Toure passed Randy Moss for most receiving yards in playoff history

veinup
December 7th, 2019, 05:17 PM
samori toure sets all time fcs single game playoff receiving yards record - 303.

edit: beaten by peems

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 7th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Montana going for 70

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Montana going for 70

Yup! pick 6 for the 'Griz! Epic beatdown! This is a 90's type Montana score....

73-28

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2019, 06:34 PM
I thought the Lions had some really amazing athletes on the field today, and you saw that numerous times.

They just couldn't hang with a team as physical and deep as the Griz, even with some fairly curious officiating mostly going in their favor.

I didn't want to make it a big deal before the game, but despite what the SLU coach said, it sure seemed like the crowd noise got to them (and we were at nearly half capacity, too).

Nice rebound from the Brawl by the Griz.

Next week should be a doooooooozy.

Peems
December 7th, 2019, 06:45 PM
I thought the Lions had some really amazing athletes on the field today, and you saw that numerous times.

They just couldn't hang with a team as physical and deep as the Griz, even with some fairly curious officiating mostly going in their favor.

I didn't want to make it a big deal before the game, but despite what the SLU coach said, it sure seemed like the crowd noise got to them (and we were at nearly half capacity, too).

Nice rebound from the Brawl by the Griz.

Next week should be a doooooooozy.

The only call I thought was bad was the roughing the kicker, but they didn't have the benefit of seeing the guy getting blocked into the punter. Other than that they called it pretty evenly, even tho they were pretty quick trigger with their late hits/roughing the passer. Final penalty tallies were 11-83 against SLU and 6-65 against the Griz.

uofmman1122
December 7th, 2019, 06:50 PM
The only call I thought was bad was the roughing the kicker, but they didn't have the benefit of seeing the guy getting blocked into the punter. Other than that they called it pretty evenly, even tho they were pretty quick trigger with their late hits/roughing the passer. Final penalty tallies were 11-83 against SLU and 6-65 against the Griz.
For the most part, I can agree, but it seemed like they had different standards for what constituted PI depending on which team was on defense.

SLU did have a bogus unnecessary roughness penalty called on them on the sidelines, though.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2019, 08:26 PM
We may never have a close game again

Outsider1
December 7th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Congrats to the Griz, I agree with the physical and depth comments. You guys played really lights out!

Derby City Duke
December 7th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Well played Griz; good luck down in Ogden next week.

veinup
December 8th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Well played Griz; good luck down in Ogden next week.

we’ll need it.

my dream for these playoffs is an eventual UM/JMU game in harrisonburg. My wife and her whole family went to school there, and the dukes and griz haven’t played each other since we’ve been together. it’d be great to have the opportunity to fly out there for a game. definitely not getting my hopes up though. extremely tough game for us next weekend.

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Congrats to Montana. Great effort by your team. Other the tbe score, we enjoyed our first trip to Missoula and everyone we encountered were super friendly and hospitable. Hope you guys continue the journey to Frisco and win it all.