PDA

View Full Version : Illinois RB Transferring to Youngstown State??

FlyYtown
August 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM
From gateway site...
http://www.thegatewayconnection.com/cgi-bin/ib3new/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=827

He was kicked off the U of I football team for stealing a credit card from a former U of I player and using it at Best Buy to buy a $4,000 plasma TV. He will avoid charges of burglary, unauthorized use of a credit card and forgery if he completes an adult diversion program. All-time HS leading rusher in Maryland.

http://fightingillini.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mason_marcus00.html

GoGuins
August 11th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will press on. If he turns out to be a good one, YSU will be more loaded at RB, one of the strengths of the offense. 3 out of 4 are Jr's. Problem will be getting everyone touches.

FlyYtown
August 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I dont mind shocking the league with a WING-T offense.... Hell that is the toughest offense to defend and with 3 RB's you got MAJOR Probs.

But Zetts is gonna be a GOOD ONE

GreatAppSt
August 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Are you sure he isn't leaving in protest of U of I use of the name Illini? :D :D

I'm sorry I just couldn't help myself. ;)

Tilldog40
August 11th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't want someone like that on my team. I don't understand how schools accept people like that.

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't want someone like that on my team. I don't understand how schools accept people like that.

I agree... there are transfers and then there are transfers... :(

GoGuins
August 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Yea, who are we now, WIU? :p

Seriously, YSU has not taken in a transfer like this since I can remember. At least that I know of. Heacock is really trying to keep his job. I don't know all the details on this guy but there has to be more to it.

TigerFan17
August 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
A better question is...what the hell was he thinking when he decided to steal a credit card from someone he knew and used it to buy a 4,000 dollar TV. Some of these athletes blow my mind...this guy could be an NFLer and hes out stealing credit cards? :confused:

eaglesrthe1
August 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hopefully he's learned from his mistake and will press on. If he turns out to be a good one, YSU will be more loaded at RB, one of the strengths of the offense. 3 out of 4 are Jr's. Problem will be getting everyone touches.

Interesting definition of "mistake". I feel sorry for his roomate, he'll have to nail everything down to keep it from walking off.

GoGuins
August 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Interesting definition of "mistake". I feel sorry for his roomate, he'll have to nail everything down to keep it from walking off.

Ok, I should have said "stupidity"

LBPop
August 11th, 2005, 04:09 PM
This kid went to a small, high quality prep school in the DC suburbs of Maryland. While I do not know him personally, I have seen him play and I know people who know him well. It was clear to those people that during high school he needed some real nurturing and supervision--he received that for four years. Reportedly he was not inclined toward this type of behavior, but it was feared that away from home he could be susceptible to the worst kind of influences. For that reason, the local football community was stunned to learn he chose Illinois. They had nothing against the school--they were worried about the location and the size.

Now, having said all that, there is absolutely no justification for what he did. I am no bleeding heart--I just happen to be a little closer to this story than most members on this board. His talent is such that he might have really damaged a tremendous football career. I hope that he has not permanently damaged his entire future.

If Marcus gets his life in order, Youngstown State has landed a remarkable player. He combined speed and power at a level that could have certainly competed in the Big Ten. If he doesn't get it...and get it quickly, he will have wasted a wonderful opportunity. Happens all too often.

Tilldog40
August 11th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I believe people make mistakes, and should get a second chance. Its that if you are a player at Youngstown, how do you look at this kid and accept him just because he is a good player. What if you are a running back at Youngstown and lose your position to a player that you think shouldn't be there. I hope the running back at Youngstown keeps his job and keeps this kid Iced on the sidelines.

Paladin1aa
August 11th, 2005, 07:34 PM
YSU still is a run dominate team and uses multiple RBs. Last year 3 played alot at TB. My guess is Mason, and he appears to be very good, will play alot. May not start,but YSU runs the TB heavy. He'll play and have an opprtunity to contribute , maybe extensively.

blukeys
August 11th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Does anybody really believe that this one transfer will get YSU out of the 2nd division of the Gateway? How many more transfers will be necessary for SIU to win a playoff game?

rabidsaluki
August 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
When I saw that topic I just thought he was wanting to x-fer due to the Whining Illini stinking so much. :D

How many more transfers will be necessary for SIU to win a playoff game?

Hopefully none. The one big x-fer we got this year (TE from Northwestern) may not play. He's got the GPA, but may not have enough credit hours. :confused:

FlyYtown
August 12th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I don't mind him coming.. Their are plenty of troubled atheletes throughout the country and this is one who just didnt make ESPN.

Anyways if he is coming to YSU he will take a lotta classes on this type of thing and get his mind on track..

He should help the Pens next year taht is if he learned hhis lesson..