PDA

View Full Version : TXST:AD receives General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding AD Award

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
Teis Recognized by All-America Football Foundation

AD receives General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding AD Award

May 17, 2007

SAN MARCOS - Larry Teis, Texas State University's Director of Athletics, has been named a recipient of the General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding Athletic Director Award, given by the All-American Football Foundation.

The prestigious award was presented to Teis during the Foundation's 85th Banquet of Champions held Thursday at the Hyatt Regency Reunion Hotel in Dallas. The award honors those who display outstanding leadership and is named in honor of Neyland, who served as head coach from 1926 to 1952 at the University of Tennessee and after retiring from the coaching ranks was director of athletics at Tennessee until his death in 1962.

Teis is in his fourth year as the director of athletics at Texas State and has been a member of the university's athletic administration since 1998.

"This is a greatly deserved award for Dr. Teis," said Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett. "He joins an exclusive group of athletic directors from across the country that have been honored by the Foundation."

Since Teis was named the director of athletics in 2004, Texas State's student-athletes have had record success in the classroom and enjoyed unmatched success on the playing fields. The athletic department has also seen continued growth in generating revenue.

Texas State student-athletes have registered record grade point averages the past three semesters. Texas State's student-athlete grade point average for Fall, 2006 was 2.84 breaking the previous record of 2.74 set during the Spring, 2006. Also, in the latest available results, Texas State's football graduation rate was the highest of any public or private institution in the state of Texas.
During the 2006-07 academic year, Texas State has had two student-athletes named the Southland Conference Student-Athlete of the Year for their respective sport. Defensive back Walter Musgrove received the award for football while sprinter Liudmila Litvinova received the honor for women's indoor track and field.

Since 2004, Texas State has won a pair of Southland Conference Commissioner's Cup and this year extended its current streak to seven straight SLC Women's All-Sports Trophies.

Texas State has increased its overall sponsorship revenue by 42 percent since 2004. From 2004 to 2006, Texas State has increased its season ticket sales by 180 percent and has also seen a rise in its overall ticket sales by a 118 percent during the same two-year window.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Good to see that football graduation rate turn the corner. I know that under the Mataskis regime, there were some severe problems on that front. Keep it up, TXST!

I think the SLC has had a few winners of that Neyland Award in recent years including SHSU's AD in 2005.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Apparently SFA's AD got the same honor...

Hill Honored by All-America Football Foundation

SFA Director of Athletics receives General Neyland Outstanding AD Award

May 21, 2007

NACOGDOCHES - Stephen F. Austin Director of Athletics Robert Hill has been named a recipient of the General Robert R. Neyland Outstanding Athletic Director Award, which is given by the All-American Football Foundation.

"I am honored to receive this award," said Hill. "It is a reflection of the hard work by everyone in our department involved with the football program."

The honor was bestowed on Hill, who just finished his second season as the university's director of athletics, at the foundation's 85th Banquet of Champions Thursday in Dallas. The award recognizes those who set the standard for outstanding leadership.

The award is named after Neyland who served as the athletics director at Tennessee from 1952 until his death in 1962. Prior to his service as the university's athletics director, Neyland spent 26 years on the sideline as the head football coach.

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052107aaa.html

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=TXST_CAT;537992]Texas State's football graduation rate was the highest of any public or private institution in the state of Texas.
During the 2006-07 academic year, Texas State has had two student-athletes named the Southland Conference Student-Athlete of the Year for their respective sport. Defensive back Walter Musgrove received the award for football while sprinter Liudmila Litvinova received the honor for women's indoor track and field.

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Texas State's football graduation rate was the highest of any public or private institution in the state of Texas.

Are we sure that football graduation rate claim is correct? I'm not sure it can be. Rice even placed lower than SMU with 84%.

SMU had 100% graduation rate in football. (May 2006)

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052306aab.html

Fresno St. Alum
May 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
TT, is there any way you can post updates the Texas St. d1 by ji without it getting closed because TXST CAT had to go off on you.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
i'll admit...i don't see how our AD got the award. i mean other than apparently having the highest gpa blah blah blah, what did our AD really do?!

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Here's some info you requested, Fresno St. We (the TSUS) just recently had a meeting with the Regents and this article (from our local newspaper) just gives you a brief overview. Kind of a weird read in some parts, but nonetheless:

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_139200507.html

In response to the other topic being locked, it's stupid. VERY stupid. first of all, TT comes in here and dogs Texas State ALL THE TIME and as soon as someone from Texas State provides factual information (i.e. having the most all-academic selections in ESPN's District VI), the thread is locked?! are you kidding me?xnonox xnonox xnonox

wow. seriously?

Regardless, I congratulate my fellow bobcats for their academic honors. xthumbsupx They deserve the recognition considering their competition (i.e. Rice, UT, A&M, Texas Tech, etc). Not to mention, Texas State, one of YOUR fellow FCS teams, led the NATION in the number of recipients.xmadx xeekx

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm still perplexed on this graduation thing with the football team and where the facts/figures are...no other Texas school received public recognition for their football program like Rice did...

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_athletes/education_and_research/academic_reform/20070418_pub_rec_awards.html

Everyone alters academic statistics. There seems to be so many to count and the APR seems to be a mess, though I'm not that well-versed on it.

Academically, SHSU is still the trend-setter in the SLC. The past two years, Sam Houston State has led the league in Commissioner's Honor Roll selections (while winning the Commish Cup). We'll know if SHSU continues this streak next month, but as SLC Commish Tom Burnett said, "Sam Houston State continues to set the bar for the Southland Conference in academic excellence." (Credit: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/athletics/honor%20roll.html)

Then again, that fact is based on certain standards. TXST had a higher GPA (not by much, .06), but SHSU had more individuals place with the standard for the Commish Honor Roll. Everyone likes to stick their chest out about academics. Helps recruiting...but tough to read through the clutter...

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm still perplexed on this graduation thing with the football team and where the facts/figures are...no other Texas school received public recognition for their football program like Rice did...

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/academics_and_athletes/education_and_research/academic_reform/20070418_pub_rec_awards.html

xrulesx xdizzyx xrulesx

TXST_CAT
May 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
TT, is there any way you can post updates the Texas St. d1 by ji without it getting closed because TXST CAT had to go off on you.

If you want to know what a BearKat is ask TT. If you want info about Texas State ask Rick at bobcatfans.com or just visit the site. Never rely on third party sources for info when you can go right to the source. Here are a few links on the topic. If you follow these links you'll know as much as he does. Without having to quit your day job.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12565

http://d1june1.com/index.html

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/local_story_139200507.html

This is not a knock on TT because he is a nice guy, but when the info is out there in the open you should realy read it your self.
xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
The above links provided by our feline friend from TXST are all links and information I have posted on this board before.

FresnoSt knows I'm all over the Net reading various articles, message boards and such and I always try to make an effort to provide links on these boards so people can read the source of such articles.

Thanks for posting the links ago, TXST_CAT...

slycat
May 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM

ill try to keep updating. im interesting to see what happens in teh coming weeks. my guess is nothing but you never know.