PDA

View Full Version : 2019 All-Big Sky Teams

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2019, 02:47 PM
https://bigskyconf.com/news/2019/11/26/2019-big-sky-football-all-conference-teams-announced.aspx

uofmman1122
November 26th, 2019, 04:12 PM
lol they still do Dante dirty

wapiti
November 27th, 2019, 08:42 AM
lol they still do Dante dirty
Huh??? What are you posting about??????

MSUBobcat
November 27th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Huh??? What are you posting about??????

I think he's complaining about Dante Olson having to share the defensive POY, which probably has some validity especially when considering who he shared it with. IMO, MSU's Sterk has a legitimate gripe, if not for taking Jonah Williams defensive Co-POY honors, then at least for not even making first team. Here's the stats for the 2 first team defensive ends and Bryce Sterk:

Jonah Williams - 21 solo; 27 assists; 48 total; 9 TFL for 64 yards; 6.5 sacks for 59 yards
George Obinna - 24 solo; 16 assists; 40 total; 16.5 TFL for 88 yards; 13.5 sacks for 81 yards
Bryce Sterk - 39 solo; 17 assists; 56 total; 16.5 TFL for 84 yards; 13 sacks for 78 yards

I don't see how Williams is even first team, let alone co-POY. Sterk has the most solo tackles by far (almost as many as Obinna total tackles); the most total tackles; tied for most TFL, though 4 fewer yards (nearly double the supposed co-POY); a half sack and 3 yards less than Obinna. How Williams got not only first team honors but also shared defensive POY is beyond me. I guess being a PART of a unit that was top 10 run defense elevated him.

uofmman1122
November 27th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I think he's complaining about Dante Olson having to share the defensive POY, which probably has some validity especially when considering who he shared it with. IMO, MSU's Sterk has a legitimate gripe, if not for taking Jonah Williams defensive Co-POY honors, then at least for not even making first team. Here's the stats for the 2 first team defensive ends and Bryce Sterk:

Jonah Williams - 21 solo; 27 assists; 48 total; 9 TFL for 64 yards; 6.5 sacks for 59 yards
George Obinna - 24 solo; 16 assists; 40 total; 16.5 TFL for 88 yards; 13.5 sacks for 81 yards
Bryce Sterk - 39 solo; 17 assists; 56 total; 16.5 TFL for 84 yards; 13 sacks for 78 yards

I don't see how Williams is even first team, let alone co-POY. Sterk has the most solo tackles by far (almost as many as Obinna total tackles); the most total tackles; tied for most TFL, though 4 fewer yards (nearly double the supposed co-POY); a half sack and 3 yards less than Obinna. How Williams got not only first team honors but also shared defensive POY is beyond me. I guess being a PART of a unit that was top 10 run defense elevated him.
This.

I think Williams is a great player, but he was objectively behind Olson, Sterk and Obinna in performance and effect on the field this season.

He’s not even sniffing national award recognition, but then again neither did the EWU dude who beat out Dante for DPOY last year.

Also, Sammy Akem has better numbers than the Cal Poly WR who got first team.

More of the same from this joke conference. Colter Nuanez has a nice post on eGriz about how broken the all-conference team voting system in the Big Sky is.

The coaches do vote and that's why this system is SO FLAWED. Every coach in the league literally does not prepare for four other teams in the league each year. They might see them on film. But they aren't studying personnel etc. Also, there's all sorts of equity and other political drama that goes into this. For example, Coach Hauck might've used up a significant amount of time on the conference call lobbying for Dante Olson to get Defensive MVP and in turn not had as much time to promote Sneed as a winner, who, in my opinion, CERTAINLY deserved All-Big Sky over ever QB in the league except maybe Kevin Thomson. Another example: Jeff Choate used so much of his time arguing for Troy Andersen as a first-team all-league offensive player last season that all his defensive linemen got second-team all-conference.

These lists are the single most flawed thing the Big Sky puts out. It's just not even a debate that Samori Toure, Sammy Akem, Jeff Cotton from Idaho, Pierre Williams from Sac State and Brandon Porter from NAU are better wide receivers than J.J. Koski. There's just no debate. They are better in every single measure of judging wide receiver play.

George Obinna and Bryce Sterk have almost as many sacks this season (13.5) as Jonah Williams has in his career. Case closed. There are many people out there, including many people in the state of Montana, that watch a greater variety of Big Sky Conference football than the actually coaches. So frustrating.

MSUBobcat
November 27th, 2019, 12:59 PM
This.

I think Williams is a great player, but he was objectively behind Olson, Sterk and Obinna in performance and effect on the field this season.

He’s not even sniffing national award recognition, but then again neither did the EWU dude who beat out Dante for DPOY last year.

Also, Sammy Akem has better numbers than the Cal Poly WR who got first team.

More of the same from this joke conference. Colter Nuanez has a nice post on eGriz about how broken the all-conference team voting system in the Big Sky is.

That's a pretty spot-on, concise assessment by Nuanez. Williams being 1st team, much less co-POY, is hard to fathom. Koski being first team over Porter is a travesty. Player A 1198 yards, 99.8 ypg, 10 TD compared to Player B 868 yards, 78.9 ypg, 8 TD... who do you pick? My only conclusion is they looked at yard per catch as a significant factor? Player A is 14.1 and Player B is 20.7. Even NAU's Chukwumezie has a slightly been stat line: 963 yards, 80.3 ypg, 8 TD, yards/catch 19.3. Akem's stats aren't quite up to Koski's tho, IMO. He had 20 less yards in 1 less game for a slightly better yards/game of 84.8, but he had 3 less TD's which is significant. 0.5 TD/game vs .727 TD/game.

For the receivers, Porter and Toure should be hands down 1st team with 10 TD and over 1100 yards. Cotton can make a solid case as the only reciever averaging over 100 ypg and by a significant margin (114.1). Koski is 6th in yards, in a 4-way tie for 4th in TD and 6th in yards/game, but 2nd in yards/catch.