PDA

View Full Version : Stat question

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
What team stats do you think are most telling about how a team is playing. I used total offense, total defense and turnover margin. Anyone else think another stat would come in to play as important.

Mr. C
May 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
I look at the yardage difference between the two teams, the turnover margin and the balance between rushing and passing yardage for each team to get a basic feel for things, particularly when I am breaking down games I haven't had the chance to actually see. I also like to look closely at the individual stats. That can tell you a lot of things about how a "team" is playing.

andy7171
May 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
I usually look at the first downs and total yardage. Once your teams offense starts getting over 24-25 first downs a game, something is going right.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Just to clarify, I'm comparing different season between teams. The easiest stat I've found to use is the NCAA team rankings in each stat category. Not sure I'd be able to find the difference in total yards between the team and their opponent for each year.

NE MT GRIZZ
May 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Red zone touchdowns are a pretty good stat to determine how the Grizz are doing.:( :(

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
What team stats do you think are most telling about how a team is playing. Anyone else think another stat would come in to play as important.

Final score.

DFW HOYA
May 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
What team stats do you think are most telling about how a team is playing. I used total offense, total defense and turnover margin. Anyone else think another stat would come in to play as important.

Three more: time of possession, third down conversion, and net yards per carry.

Gil Dobie
May 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Final score.

Wins and Losses is a pretty good judge.

TexasTerror
May 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
One must dominate the TOP if they are to win and that usually involves moving the ball on the run. Forcing turnovers can make things easier for a team as well...

Turnover margin.
Time of possession.
Rushing yards.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
yards/play, defensive yards given up, TO margin

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Wins and Losses is a pretty good judge.

putting together a track record of some teams and comparing stats...

CopperCat
May 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
One must dominate the TOP if they are to win and that usually involves moving the ball on the run. Forcing turnovers can make things easier for a team as well...

Turnover margin.
Time of possession.
Rushing yards.

You're right on the money TT. If your rushing game is working, then your TOP will be higher than your opponent's. You can establish temp, rhythm, and you can make the clock your friend. Total defense and offense are certainly very telling stats, but don't forget special teams stuff. Yds/punt, yds/return can be big factors in big games as well.

jmufootball2
May 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
You're right on the money TT. If your rushing game is working, then your TOP will be higher than your opponent's. You can establish temp, rhythm, and you can make the clock your friend. Total defense and offense are certainly very telling stats, but don't forget special teams stuff. Yds/punt, yds/return can be big factors in big games as well.

Exactly, look at the 2004 jmu/delaware game. They outgained us in offensive yardage but it evened out when special teams yardage was added in. Delaware is still salty about that game, NO FLAGS!!!!

youwouldno
May 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Certain stats are more indicative of future performance than others. Total offense and total defense, once adjusted for competition, are pretty good. Turnovers I generally ignore unless a team is really good or really bad for multiple seasons in a row. Special teams numbers go up and down a lot, and aren't relevant enough to be a major factor in a preseason analysis.

appfan2008
May 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
i like total o and total d as well because it combines everything... IMO

BigApp
May 22nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
3rd down conversion % is a big factor IMHO

Also, the ratio of 3rd downs to 1st downs (you typically have to calculate this manually). Low ratio on offense means you're moving the ball, high ratio on D implies a stingy one.

PantherRob82
May 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Special teams numbers go up and down a lot, and aren't relevant enough to be a major factor in a preseason analysis.

This isn't for preseason analysis, but thanks for the ideas so far guys.

JBB
May 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
I always figure you have to keep a drive alive. Third down conversions are key for me, especially if teams seem evenly matched.

To me, a teams rushing or passing yds dont mean anything unless they are viewed within the context of another teams corresponding defensive stats.

Evenly matched teams might make a person look at field goals and other special teams.

Lopsided turn over margins often indicate if a team is prone to lose the ball or get the ball on TOs.

Keeper
May 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
You will find the best of the best teams
have a great Rushing-yds-per-carry average,
either offense or defense.

that spells BALL CONTROL !!!

I primarily use net yardage margin in my ratings.
Having a truer picture of line-of-scrimmage ability
helps to predict more upsets. However, it often
doesn't mirror the final score.

McNeese72
May 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
You have to be careful comparing teams by stats. I always like to say that stats are a function of the teams you play.

A team can have great stats against bad competition and look to be a world beater looking at the team's stats but in fact be just a mediocre team.

Doc

JBB
May 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
I agree Doc. You need a quality of competition coefficient. How I arrive at mine is a secret.

PantherRob82
May 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm comparing the same team over an 8 year span. Trying to figure out what normally spells success.