PDA

View Full Version : #18 North Dakota @ #19 Nicholls

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49119778866_870d81973f_o.jpg

First matchup ever between these two teams I believe. Both teams have been up and down this season as their numbers indicate. Massey has this as essentially a toss up giving UND a 52% chance to win and a predicted score of 28-27. Sagarin would have them as a pick 'em on a neutral site but likes Nicholls by about 3 at home. No line up on 5dimes yet but I'd assume it will be essentially a pick 'em.

I wanted to get this thread started after seeing a less than flattering article from UND's beat writer on Nicholls' accommodations for the visiting team: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4787550-UNDs-locker-room-at-Nicholls-State-will-be-temporary-tents

Seems like there's some consternation from some fellow Southland teams that have played there this year and they've questioned whether Nicholls should even be allowed to host given the facilities (or lack thereof) they have to accommodate the visiting team. As the article points out they are in the process of a $6.5M renovation which will apparently include a new visitor's locker room but it certainly doesn't reflect well on Nicholls or the NCAA to see this kind of press prior to an NCAA sponsored postseason football game that's supposed to be as neutral as possible.

Curious what others thoughts are on this and whether you think it should affect Nicholls' eligibility to host. And of course feel free to share your thoughts on the game itself as well.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2019, 04:27 PM
seems like this game has already been played a few years ago, wait though that was a South Dakota.... so many Dakotas

UNDColorado
November 25th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Glad you mentioned it. UND gets to dress in a tent. I guess they spent all their money on the bid to host instead of proper facilities lol.

Serious question- Is there NCAA rules or guidelines about minimum requirements to host? I have to imagine adequate facilities would fall under this. This is a very odd situation and sort of the last thing I though I would read about today.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Glad you mentioned it. UND gets to dress in a tent. I guess they spent all their money on the bid to host instead of proper facilities lol.

Serious question- Is there NCAA rules or guidelines about minimum requirements to host? I have to imagine adequate facilities would fall under this. This is a very odd situation and sort of the last thing I though I would read about today.
This is from the NCAA's FCS Championship handbook (2010 is the most recent one I could quickly find but I'm sure this hasn't changed):

When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 04:34 PM
I like the Colonels by a lot. They're healthy, hitting their stride at the right time and extra tough to beat in Thibodaux.

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 04:35 PM

But it's a nice tent. xsmiley_wix

nodak651
November 25th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Why is Nichols allowed to host when the away team has to use out houses, portable showers, and a tent?

I'm happy that UND is in the playoffs, but seeing the facilities that Nichols has, it's pretty crazy to think that they were selected to host.

From the NCAA hosting manual:

CRITERIA – PRELIMINARY ROUND SITE SELECTION Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget: First round—$30,000 Second round—$40,000 Quarterfinals—$50,000 Semifinals—$60,000
2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eight seeded teams.
3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)."

UNDColorado
November 25th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Interesting. I am left wondering how "1) Quality of facility" applies since it does not even have a locker room? Half time adjustments might be a bit tough as I have never see a soundproof tent.

nodak651
November 25th, 2019, 04:39 PM
This is from the NCAA's FCS Championship handbook (2010 is the most recent one I could quickly find but I'm sure this hasn't changed):

Looks like you guys beat me to it. The current manual says the same thing. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

Like the FBS attendance requirement, they should probably just change the rules if they aren't going to follow them.

- - - Updated - - -

But it's a nice tent. xsmiley_wix

Does it have AC? Or does it also act as a sauna?

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Why is Nichols allowed to host when the away team has to use out houses, portable showers, and a tent?

I'm happy that UND is in the playoffs, but seeing the facilities that Nichols has, it's pretty crazy to think that they were selected to host.

From the NCAA hosting manual:

CRITERIA – PRELIMINARY ROUND SITE SELECTION Regarding first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget: First round—$30,000 Second round—$40,000 Quarterfinals—$50,000 Semifinals—$60,000
2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top eight seeded teams.
3. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)."

Guidry Stadium itself is just fine. All concrete, seats about 12k permanently with plenty of additional standing room. Concourse and restrooms are adequate. Press box needs renovation but better than some others I've been to. Only problem is the visitor's dressing area, but if they moved the tents closer to the stadium, and have a place to shower, then really not a big deal unless you're team is full of wussies.

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Looks like you guys beat me to it. The current manual says the same thing. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

Like the FBS attendance requirement, they should probably just change the rules if they aren't going to follow them.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it have AC? Or does it also act as a sauna?

It's a tent. It'll be 75 degrees. You'll be fine. I'd worry more about the gris gris than the tent. xeyebrowx

UNDColorado
November 25th, 2019, 04:50 PM
I am sure they will be fine but when I read the article my first thought was: Is this high school or division 1? xlolx

kab
November 25th, 2019, 05:07 PM
It's a tent. It'll be 75 degrees. You'll be fine. I'd worry more about the gris gris than the tent. xeyebrowx
If it’s such a fine tent let Nichols use the tent
this should never be allowed

wapiti
November 25th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I am rooting for UND to win, because I want to see NDSU forced to play UND again.

Thundar
November 25th, 2019, 05:26 PM
I am rooting for UND to win, because I want to see NDSU forced to play UND again.

I would love to make them play In Fargo AGAIN

That would make UND play in 4 times before NDSU goes there..lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 05:27 PM

NDSU will curb stomp either team. 2nd string plays most of the 2nd half with either team. NDSU could have hung 50+ on UND the 1st time.

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 05:30 PM
NDSU will curb stomp either team. 2nd string plays most of the 2nd half with either team. NDSU could have hung 50+ on UND the 1st time.

You won't curb stomp Nicholls. You'll win but they'll make it interesting for a while.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 05:34 PM
You won't curb stomp Nicholls. You'll win but they'll make it interesting for a while.

I've watched Nicholls 3 times this year and NDSU will curb stomp them. NDSU and their style of physical downhill running is not a good matchup for Nicholls. But we'll see if they make it up here.

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 05:37 PM
I've watched Nicholls 3 times this year and NDSU will curb stomp them. NDSU and their style of physical downhill running is not a good matchup for Nicholls. But we'll see if they make it up here.

We'll see. They'll be there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 05:40 PM
We'll see. They'll be there.

I picked Nicholls to win this. They are a good team and should beat UND at their place. UND is 1-4 on the road. If this was in GF then I probably would have picked UND....they are 6-0 at home this year.

nodak651
November 25th, 2019, 05:50 PM

That's kind of revisionist history. NDSU didn't ever really put the brakes on the offense - they never pulled Trey Lance and he was still running and passing through the last series of the game. UND played their backup QB the whole game. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but that last jab isn't really a fair statement. Also, this thread isn't about NDSU. It's about Nichol's ****ty tents, and how Chaves let UND get outbid xconfusedx.

katss07
November 25th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Nicholls is a solid team playing their best football at the right time. Chase Fourcade is one of the best quarterbacks in the Southland and I fully expect that to be on display this weekend. Should be a good crowd. Nicholls fans show up no matter what time of year it is. It’s tough to win at Guidry.

Good luck to both teams! Looking forward to this one.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 05:56 PM
You won't curb stomp Nicholls. You'll win but they'll make it interesting for a while.Tell them not to wear surrender whites because if they wear those, they will be down 10-0 before the game starts.

katss07
November 25th, 2019, 05:56 PM
That's kind of revisionist history. NDSU didn't ever really put the brakes on the offense - they never pulled Trey Lance and he was still running and passing through the last series of the game. UND played their backup QB the whole game. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but that last jab isn't really a fair statement. Also, this thread isn't about NDSU. It's about Nichol's ****ty tents, and how Chaves let UND get outbid xconfusedx.
Every thread is about NDSU! This is a Bison forum.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 05:57 PM
That's kind of revisionist history. NDSU didn't ever really put the brakes on the offense - they never pulled Trey Lance and he was still running and passing through the last series of the game. UND played their backup QB the whole game. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but that last jab isn't really a fair statement. Also, this thread isn't about NDSU.

I was at this game and NDSU could have hung 50+ on UND. Bohl and Klieman left the starting QBs in too long in many games. Entz has taken TL out as the year as gone along. Believe it or not, I don't care. Plus the winner comes to Fargo. Plus, if you don't like me posting in here then complain to Ursus.

xblahx

nodak651
November 25th, 2019, 05:57 PM
How good is Nichols kicker? Range/accuracy? I see he doesn't have very many attempts on the year.

Edit: Looked up the stats - did one of these guys get hurt or did neither really win the job?

Individual Field Goals Statistics
#
Player
FGM-FGA
%
I20
20-29
30-39
40-49
50+
Long
BLK

Jones, Gunnar
3-4
1-1
1-1
1-2
0-0
0-0

Lasseigne, Gavin
2-4
0-0
2-3
0-1
0-0
0-0

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 06:02 PM
How good is Nichols kicker? Range/accuracy? I see he doesn't have very many attempts on the year.

They've struggled with the kicking game all year. I think they've went back and forth with a couple of guys. The punter is pretty good.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 06:05 PM
Every thread is about NDSU! This is a Bison forum.The Montana State guy derailed the thread, it will be all down hill from here. Anyway, I got UND here by 10, you can make book on that, too much northern slow, it will disrupt Nicholl's entire perception of reality, space and time, #BOOKIT

Lorne_Malvo
November 25th, 2019, 06:06 PM
I hope Nicholls makes it to Fargo and NDSU puts them in a tent outside the dome in 20F temps.

nodak651
November 25th, 2019, 06:08 PM
I was at this game and NDSU could have hung 50+ on UND. Bohl and Klieman left the starting QBs in too long in many games. Entz has taken TL out as the year as gone along. Believe it or not, I don't care. Plus the winner comes to Fargo. Plus, if you don't like me posting in here then complain to Ursus.

xblahx

I'm not complaining to him - he would prob tell me to gtfo haha.

Looks like their leading receiver, Dixon Dai'Jean was injured for a few games, including the game vs SHSU, our only head to head match up.
Came back for McNeese and Southestern LA, and had nearly 200 yards each game... He's 6'4" as well. How fast is this guy? Future NFL guy?

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2019, 06:38 PM
I'm not complaining to him - he would prob tell me to gtfo haha.

Looks like their leading receiver, Dixon Dai'Jean was injured for a few games, including the game vs SHSU, our only head to head match up.
Came back for McNeese and Southestern LA, and had nearly 200 yards each game... He's 6'4" as well. How fast is this guy? Future NFL guy?

Dixon is easily the best WR we've faced this year, including Ole Miss. I don't know if he'll be an NFL guy due to off-field issues but certainly has the physical ability. Didn't help that both of our starting cornerbacks were out. The other guy (Dion Ray) is really good too. He missed about four or five games this year also. They're pretty good with all of their weapons available.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Dixon is easily the best WR we've faced this year, including Ole Miss. I don't know if he'll be an NFL guy due to off-field issues but certainly has the physical ability. Didn't help that both of our starting cornerbacks were out. The other guy (Dion Ray) is really good too. He missed about four or five games this year also. They're pretty good with all of their weapons available.

he is a beast, that late 57 yard TD against you guys was just not fair

Bisonoline
November 26th, 2019, 12:37 AM

Nobody is getting pulled the second game of the season. Especially a red shirt freshman QB who has only played one game . They need the reps.

IBleedYellow
November 26th, 2019, 12:49 AM
1. Und didn’t even outbid a school that has tents instead of a true locker room, let that sink in.

2. Chavez said he put in what he thought were very aggressive bids.

3. Und is a dumpster fire outside of the Alerus, I wonder if their plane will get in around midnight on game day again?

4. Bubba will finish his career at und without a playoff victory. Which means I have to pick Nicholls.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Seems like 2 evenly matched teams. I went with Nicholls only because of home field advantage. Think it'll be a close game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Seems like 2 evenly matched teams. I went with Nicholls only because of home field advantage. Think it'll be a close game.

Looking at the offensive/defensive stats of both teams, both look very average at best. Watching UND in person earlier in the year, that assessment proves the stats right.

Agree on the home team winning this one.

semobison
November 26th, 2019, 06:52 AM
1. Und didn’t even outbid a school that has tents instead of a true locker room, let that sink in.

2. Chavez said he put in what he thought were very aggressive bids.

3. Und is a dumpster fire outside of the Alerus, I wonder if their plane will get in around midnight on game day again?

4. Bubba will finish his career at und without a playoff victory. Which means I have to pick Nicholls.

Response to No 1. Nicholls is hosting a first round game for the 3rd consecutive year. Ain't there first rodeo!

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2019, 08:43 AM
This game opens as a pick em on 5dimes with an O/U of 59.5.

abc123
November 26th, 2019, 08:49 AM
UND is 1-4 on the road but outside of 1 game, I don't think there is much telling info, especially considering only 2 were played in the last half of the year .

L 38-7 in Fargo with the backup QB starting. NDSU played their normal rotation, including the starting QB, the whole game, outside of possibly UND's last drive. Not much to take from this one, results comparable to most teams that play in Fargo.
L 35-20 in Cheney in a snowstorm. Starting QB's 1st game back with a dinged up knee and zero mobility, shouldn't have played but the backup got hurt the prior week and the true freshman wasn't ready. EWU went 5-0 at home and averaged 58 ppg their other 4. Came out flat, fell behind 28-0 by half, yet got it back to a 1 score game early in the 4th and couldn't tie it up.
L 55-20 in Pocatello. Can I skip this one? Travel issues due to a blizzard were previews of a flat out disaster. This one has no explanation.
W 30-26 in San Luis Obispo. Bent but didn't break against the TO with a depleted DL. Not pretty but came back and got the W.
L 30-27 in Ogden. Was the better team for most of the game. Had the lead with 7 minutes left, fumbled a kickoff on the 22 to give Weber an easy FG and still had a shot to win at the end

Not an overall great record but how well they played in Ogden has me optimistic they figured out what they need to do on the road to win. Now if they can just get out of town on time with another storm headed this way. I heard Nicholls has some accommodations that can double as sleeping quarters as needed so arriving early shouldn't be an issue.

AmsterBison
November 26th, 2019, 09:32 AM
The title caught my eye... what poll is UND #18 in? I just updated rankings and it looked like they were unranked in the Coaches poll and #24 in the FCS Stats poll.

semobison
November 26th, 2019, 09:36 AM
The title caught my eye... what poll is UND #18 in? I just updated rankings and it looked like they were unranked in the Coaches poll and #24 in the FCS Stats poll.

AGS poll! It wouldn't be right to use another poll on...AGS!

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I like the Colonels by a lot. They're healthy, hitting their stride at the right time and extra tough to beat in Thibodaux.

This is what I was thinking. I thought Nicholls would have more problems with your pass rush, but with their top receiver back in play I think that changes things. I am not sure the score will be lopsided, but I believe Nicholls has the offense to counterpunch with their defense now and should be able to win.

nodak651
November 26th, 2019, 11:43 AM
This is what I was thinking. I thought Nicholls would have more problems with your pass rush, but with their top receiver back in play I think that changes things. I am not sure the score will be lopsided, but I believe Nicholls has the offense to counterpunch with their defense now and should be able to win.
The one saving grace is Evan Holm should be back. He's our best CB and this will be his 4th game. I think he sits against NDSU, should we move on, so that he can red shirt and come back next year. We got shredded by UNC's WR when he purposely sat out to save a game, but most UND fans are pretty happy with our other CB's this year.

This is the guy that had two endzone pass breakups on SHSU's top receiver last year in SHSU's final drive, to seal the W. Not sure if he gets paired up with this Nichols guy due to the size difference though.

Is this guy gonna be the fastest guy on the field?

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2019, 12:04 PM

We got to him some but both of our starting corners were out and couldn't pressure as much, plus Fourcade can move and gets the ball out quick. And with Dixon healthy, he'll just throw it up in his direction. The other guy (Dion Ray) is healthy too.

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 12:06 PM
The one saving grace is Evan Holm should be back. He's our best CB and this will be his 4th game. I think he sits against NDSU, should we move on, so that he can red shirt and come back next year. We got shredded by UNC's WR when he purposely sat out to save a game, but most UND fans are pretty happy with our other CB's this year.

This is the guy that had two endzone pass breakups on SHSU's top receiver last year in SHSU's final drive, to seal the W. Not sure if he gets paired up with this Nichols guy due to the size difference though.

Is this guy gonna be the fastest guy on the field?

He was out when we played Nicholls. If he had been in, I don't think we would have won. When he was out, Fourcade didn't have someone who could get open fast. Teams were able to cover receivers and rush Fourcade. When he came back, that wasn't the case. That was a big take away from watching Nicholls and SLU. Yes there were other game factors, but if you ask me, having both Fourcade and Dixon together made the difference. Consider our game against Nicholls without Dixon and SLU with Dixon:

Without = 216 receiving yards
With = 288 receiving yards and Dixon had 190 of those yards.

IF you can cover Dixon, without leaving Ray and Franklin open, while rushing Fourcade it gives you a chance. BUT, watch the up the middle runs....

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 12:08 PM
We got to him some but both of our starting corners were out and couldn't pressure as much, plus Fourcade can move and gets the ball out quick. And with Dixon healthy, he'll just throw it up in his direction. The other guy (Dion Ray) is healthy too.

The thing about Dixon just seemed to be his ability to catch in as much as speed.......

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM
The thing about Dixon just seemed to be his ability to catch in as much as speed.......

He's the FCS version of Terrell Owens. Only way to cover him is to double him and keep somebody deep over the top. And he still may win the 50/50 ball. But if you do that, Dion Ray is almost as good on the other side, and they can run the ball downhill with a 230 lb back. And they also just got Dontrell Taylor back against us. They finally have the team on the field that was unanimous preseason pick to win the league. You can just about discard every game on their schedule pre McNeese.

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 01:22 PM
He's the FCS version of Terrell Owens. Only way to cover him is to double him and keep somebody deep over the top. And he still may win the 50/50 ball. But if you do that, Dion Ray is almost as good on the other side, and they can run the ball downhill with a 230 lb back. And they also just got Dontrell Taylor back against us. They finally have the team on the field that was unanimous preseason pick to win the league. You can just about discard every game on their schedule pre McNeese.

Agree, am glad we played them when we did...

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Agree, am glad we played them when we did...

Don't sell yourself short. You guys have a good team and played well. It's just that the league is finally getting close to true parity, as demonstrated by the 10th place team in the Southland (HBU) going on the road and beating the 6th place team in the Missouri Valley (South Dakota).

Schism55
November 26th, 2019, 01:43 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1199411982631424001

Bisonator
November 26th, 2019, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1199411982631424001
WTF kind of bid is $75,003.75? Is the $3.75 what bubba had in his pocket??xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2019, 03:41 PM
WTF kind of bid is $75,003.75? Is the $3.75 what bubba had in his pocket??xlolx
Bubba said he'd give them a quarter back... the extra $3.50 is for that darn loch ness monstah!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsMxX8BCYAAnPWm.jpg

Puddin Tane
November 26th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Da rougarou gonna get em!

I’ll take nichols in this one. Solely because they have the insurmountable advantage of showering indoors after the game.

cx500d
November 26th, 2019, 05:34 PM

I’ll take nichols in this one. Solely because they have the insurmountable advantage of showering indoors after the game.
#MeToo

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2019, 05:36 PM

You should post more often your pretty good at this xlolx

lionsrking2
November 26th, 2019, 06:26 PM

True dat.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2019, 07:53 PM

is that something akin to the Boggey Creek monster? or maybe he was from Arkansas ....

cx500d
November 26th, 2019, 08:24 PM
is that something akin to the Boggey Creek monster? or maybe he was from Arkansas ....

It was Polk Salad Annie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXHxh3Sye0

Bisonoline
November 26th, 2019, 08:24 PM

Ever read the bio on the director of the Boggey Creek Monster? LOL

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0682309/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Ever read the bio on the director of the Boggey Creek Monster? LOL

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0682309/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

No I had not, who knew.... Go ahead Make My day .....attributed to him

Daytripper
November 26th, 2019, 09:36 PM
There would be much less complaining if said outdoor shower was simply a beautiful waterfall....
https://media.giphy.com/media/OsRcfuSsqCamk/giphy.gif

geaux_sioux
November 27th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Would love to hear from Sammy fans how they feel UND matches up with Nicholls keeping in mind that we had a true fr thrown in at qb instead of our starter when we played you guys.

Hammersmith
November 27th, 2019, 10:41 PM
This is only tangentially related to the game, but the story is worth reading. It's about the Fargo media's trip to Nicholls back in 2004 when the Bison played down there.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/4788143-McFeely-Trip-to-Nicholls-State-in-2004-had-Forum-crew-asking-Is-this-how-it-ends-As-in-life

notes for those not from ND:
Forum Communications owns newspapers, radio stations and TV stations. They cover both the Fargo and Grand Forks markets(the Grand Forks Herald is owned by ForumComm). Also, the overall market is small, so many of the announcers for one school have spent time as announcers for the other over their careers. So this story is for the entertainment of his readers and a humorous warning to his professional colleagues.

Puddin Tane
November 27th, 2019, 11:25 PM
This is only tangentially related to the game, but the story is worth reading. It's about the Fargo media's trip to Nicholls back in 2004 when the Bison played down there.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/4788143-McFeely-Trip-to-Nicholls-State-in-2004-had-Forum-crew-asking-Is-this-how-it-ends-As-in-life

notes for those not from ND:
Forum Communications owns newspapers, radio stations and TV stations. They cover both the Fargo and Grand Forks markets(the Grand Forks Herald is owned by ForumComm). Also, the overall market is small, so many of the announcers for one school have spent time as announcers for the other over their careers. So this story is for the entertainment of his readers and a humorous warning to his professional colleagues.

Id love to get one of these schools down here for an end of August/1st week in Sept game

Hood
November 27th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Definitely remember that game and being full of bravado that we'd win easily due to the heat. Y'all whooped us.

And yes, article is definitely for entertainment. The airport to Nicholls is pretty much a straight shot for 18 miles, give or take a few turns once you hit Thibodaux (Well, the route I'd take. Google maps offered me three disagreeing routes). Glad your guys made it safe, though.

Twentysix
November 28th, 2019, 02:06 AM
Yes Please.

I hope Nicholls makes it to Fargo and NDSU puts them in a tent outside the dome in 20F temps.

POD Knows
November 28th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Id love to get one of these schools down here for an end of August/1st week in Sept gameJFC, NDSU beat the defending Big 12 Champion Kansas State in 2013 in 100+ degree heat, I doubt we would have any trouble with you. But yea, I suppose it was a dry heat in Kansas. :D Just to add, I think a home and home with Nichols would be awesome.

F'N Hawks
November 28th, 2019, 07:54 AM
JFC, NDSU beat the defending Big 12 Champion Kansas State in 2013 in 100+ degree heat, I doubt we would have any trouble with you. But yea, I suppose it was a dry heat in Kansas. :D Just to add, I think a home and home with Nichols would be awesome.

UND played at SHSU last year in mid September. It was pretty hot, humid IIRC.

POD Knows
November 28th, 2019, 07:58 AM
UND played at SHSU last year in mid September. It was pretty hot, humid IIRC.:D Yea, I love how all these guys think that the heat will be the great equalizer and take down all these northern teams, it is funny how it doesn't always work out that way.

JacksFan40
November 28th, 2019, 08:52 AM
:D Yea, I love how all these guys think that the heat will be the great equalizer and take down all these northern teams, it is funny how it doesn't always work out that way.
I’m always open to bringing them up to Brookings and playing in 10 degrees with a windchill of -10 and a nice layer of snow on the ground.

Bison56
November 28th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Id love to get one of these schools down here for an end of August/1st week in Sept game

Let me guess, because it is hot?xcoffeex

NOLA
November 28th, 2019, 01:28 PM
I don’t think the weather will be a factor. It will be in the 70s but it’s not like it would be in September.

Don’t know much about UND but I’m expecting to see a talented football team. Thought we could beat South Dakota if we limited turnovers in 2017 and we had four I think. Last year, I figured we’d be able to run all over San Diego and that’s exactly what happened.

If this was a road game, I’d pick UND. But I can’t see this senior group losing in their most likely final game at home.

Nicholls 38
North Dakota 28

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2019, 02:04 PM
:D Yea, I love how all these guys think that the heat will be the great equalizer and take down all these northern teams, it is funny how it doesn't always work out that way.

And dont forget that supposed " southern speed".

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2019, 02:07 PM
And dont forget that supposed " southern speed".

Speed is speed. Either have it or you don't.

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Speed is speed. Either have it or you don't.

I dont know about that. Jay Walker seems to hold that "southern speed" in high regard. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2019, 02:16 PM
This appears to be a very evenly matched game. The NDSU fans love to poke fun at UND so I'm not sure if they always get the credit they deserve. I think Nicholls is always a bit overlooked too. Their turnaround in recent years has been remarkable.

I believe both had semifinal potential (parity this year) with the right path. Obviously, they got the wrong path which sadly makes this game rather irrelevant imo....

NOLA
November 28th, 2019, 02:42 PM
This appears to be a very evenly matched game. The NDSU fans love to poke fun at UND so I'm not sure if they always get the credit they deserve. I think Nicholls is always a bit overlooked too. Their turnaround in recent years has been remarkable.

I believe both had semifinal potential (parity this year) with the right path. Obviously, they got the wrong path which sadly makes this game rather irrelevant imo....

Yeah. Kind of stinks if we win we’ll go play No. 1. Had a tough deal last year too by having to go to No. 2 Eastern Washington. Note to self - don’t win the Southland AQ.

Puddin Tane
November 28th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Let me guess, because it is hot?xcoffeex

Naw, humid...xcoffeex

Twentysix
November 28th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Naw, humid...xcoffeex

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/North-Dakota/humidity-annual.php

You know that fargo is actually a pretty humid place right? Fargo's average humidity is barely less than Houston's.

https://i.imgur.com/cdBBzwc.png

McNeese75
November 28th, 2019, 11:09 PM
I seriously doubt a NDSU team would wilt in the weather down here (unlike some fo the Big Sky Teams) BUT, Thibodeaux is NOT like Houston. Average humidity in Sept is 8 or 9 % higher than Fargo. 80 - 90% humidty in this neck of the woods is pretty common up through Sept.

Hood
November 29th, 2019, 12:36 AM
Just to add, I think a home and home with Nichols would be awesome.One of my bigger fan regrets was not making the trip to Fargo when I had the disposable means and time. I'd definitely move things around and take vacation for a Nicholls @NDSU game given the proper amount of notice (one week is not enough notice at my job).

I seriously doubt a NDSU team would wilt in the weather down here (unlike some fo the Big Sky Teams) BUT, Thibodeaux is NOT like Houston. Average humidity in Sept is 8 or 9 % higher than Fargo. 80 - 90% humidty in this neck of the woods is pretty common up through Sept. The heat here definitely sucks, but it definitely wasn't an advantage the last time they came here. The next year (or two years later?) South Dakota State came by in the same early part of the season and punched our guys in the mouth as well. I'll never forget that Running Back. Strangest ball carrying stance I'd ever seen but he ran right through our line every play it seemed.

The only other extreme northern FCS team (compared to us) I can remember coming to Nicholls from my Freshman year in 99 - present would have been Eastern Washington and it rained that whole game negating any perceived advantage. We've hosted a multitude of lower division teams from the "north" and I don't think the heat had anything to do with our victory other than aggravate the poor kids on the visitor sideline. We had players with just as many cramps.

(I'm ignoring the Henderson state loss because counting Arkansas as "north" is laughable to anyone not in Louisiana :p )

Twentysix
November 29th, 2019, 05:54 AM
I seriously doubt a NDSU team would wilt in the weather down here (unlike some fo the Big Sky Teams) BUT, Thibodeaux is NOT like Houston. Average humidity in Sept is 8 or 9 % higher than Fargo. 80 - 90% humidty in this neck of the woods is pretty common up through Sept.

Interesting. Thibodeaux is too small to be included in the state weather data listed on that site for Lousiana. It must be a lot worse than New Orleans though since New Orleans has nearly identical humidity data overall when compared to Houston, with houston (89.7%) having higher average maximum humidity when compared to NOLA (87.6%).

It isn't uncommon to have 90% and even 99% humidity early in the day in Fargo as well from July - Early Sept. The heat usually burns off some of the humidity by the late afternoon though. Its funny to hear people who have never experienced the weather there just assume its like 65 degrees and 0% humidity all summer. Not realizing its 90-100+ there too a long with -40 in the winter. Eastern North Dakota has all the facets of horrible weather hot and cold and humid, they just don't have the heat for as many consecutive months. Overall this discussion kinda plays into what clenz was talking about earlier of fans thinking NDSU/UND/UNI can't and don't practice outside. Just off base assumptions running rampant.

Lucky for me, North Texas isn't such a swampy humid mess. The humidity in Dallas has basically been non-existent in comparison to eastern North Dakota summers. I don't know how you guys living along the gulf can stand the humidity for most of the year, almost worse than the cold... almost.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Interesting. Thibodeaux is too small to be included in the state weather data listed on that site for Lousiana. It must be a lot worse than New Orleans though since New Orleans has nearly identical humidity data overall when compared to Houston, with houston (89.7%) having higher average maximum humidity when compared to NOLA (87.6%).

It isn't uncommon to have 90% and even 99% humidity early in the day in Fargo as well from July - Early Sept. The heat usually burns off some of the humidity by the late afternoon though. Its funny to hear people who have never experienced the weather there just assume its like 65 degrees and 0% humidity all summer. Not realizing its 90-100+ there too a long with -40 in the winter. Eastern North Dakota has all the facets of horrible weather hot and cold and humid, they just don't have the heat for as many consecutive months. Overall this discussion kinda plays into what clenz was talking about earlier of fans thinking NDSU/UND/UNI can't and don't practice outside. Just off base assumptions running rampant.

Lucky for me, North Texas isn't such a swampy humid mess. The humidity in Dallas has basically been non-existent in comparison to eastern North Dakota summers. I don't know how you guys living along the gulf can stand the humidity for most of the year, almost worse than the cold... almost.

You not is CA???? Dallas isnt humid? Well 90miles east its humid as hell in the summer. Fish at night and sleep during the day.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2019, 04:01 PM
You not is CA???? Dallas isnt humid? Well 90miles east its humid as hell in the summer. Fish at night and sleep during the day.

Not humid compared to Fargo summers nah. The only real negative is the duration of 100 degree days.

Bisonoline
November 29th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Not humid compared to Fargo summers nah. The only real negative is the duration of 100 degree days.

Ive spent summers in Fargo. I will take Fargo over East TX any day..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2019, 04:47 PM
It can be crazy humid in a lot of places. Philly, Baltimore and DC are three of the most ungodly places on Earth for 3 months a year. The air quality aka the stench that clouds those cities in the summer is unlike anything I've come across. If this game was in September I would trust the 'Cats conditioning.

As an adventurous person I'd like to get down to Southern Louisiana. It wouldn't be in the summer, that's for sure. I do applaud those who live in the South. I have never liked the heat. I just don't function well in it. Having a good 7-8 months of 80's and 90's would drive me insane.

I'm probably one of the few people who thought the dry Montana summers were worse than winter. There would be long stretches of 90+ degrees in July and August which always led to fires. It only gets horribly cold 6-7 days a winter. Most of the time it's sunny and in the upper 20s to the mid 30s. It's much more likely to be 40 and sunny in January than -10/-20.

I was in Grand Forks/at UND two weeks ago. I'm a big fan of the Fargo/GF area. I'll be back there in 6 weeks.

Grizalltheway
November 29th, 2019, 05:53 PM
It can be crazy humid in a lot of places. Philly, Baltimore and DC are three of the most ungodly places on Earth for 3 months a year. The air quality aka the stench that clouds those cities in the summer is unlike anything I've come across. If this game was in September I would trust the 'Cats conditioning.

As an adventurous person I'd like to get down to Southern Louisiana. It wouldn't be in the summer, that's for sure. I do applaud those who live in the South. I have never liked the heat. I just don't function well in it. Having a good 7-8 months of 80's and 90's would drive me insane.

I'm probably one of the few people who thought the dry Montana summers were worse than winter. There would be long stretches of 90+ degrees in July and August which always led to fires. It only gets horribly cold 6-7 days a winter. Most of the time it's sunny and in the upper 20s to the mid 30s. It's much more likely to be 40 and sunny in January than -10/-20.

I was in Grand Forks/at UND two weeks ago. I'm a big fan of the Fargo/GF area. I'll be back there in 6 weeks.

I think December's actually the coldest month on average. It's 1 above right now FYI.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2019, 06:07 PM
I used to think I wanted to move into a large city like Seattle.

Now I think I want to be on a lake all year around. Minnesota preferably. Why? Because the weather is not that terrible if you dress properly for it, last year I was snowmobiling in -20 just fine.

Nodak78
November 29th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I'll be damned this the weather thread. Lol

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Living la Vida loca mi amigo...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Nicholls marching on their 1st drive

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Nicholls up 3-0

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Does the white hat in this game work out with Ed Hochuli???

TennBison
November 30th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Looks like a nice crowd, can't see the whole stadium yet to get a view of the whole stadium.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Snoozer so far. Fighting chickens not able to do anything.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 03:33 PM
The way this is looking unless something changes it'll be Nichols coming up to Fargo.

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Our undersized DL is getting mauled.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Fourcade has not looked good in this game. A lot of passes have been at his receivers knees.

Maybe it's the wind???

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Our undersized DL is getting mauled.

Your coaching staff was smart to have both lines cut weight! Got them to the playoffs! Should cut more!

TennBison
November 30th, 2019, 03:40 PM
The announcer called that a long pass?????? The QB was in the middle of the hash marks and threw it to the flats 4 yards deep. Must be that notorious southern deep ball.

geaux_sioux
Our defense is allowing them to pound their way into the red zone and then they decide to get stops.

BEAR
The way this is looking unless something changes it'll be Nichols coming up to Fargo.

It'd be kinda cool for Nicholls to go there then UCA make it there too. xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 03:45 PM
They better reverse that targeting call. Ketteringham lowered his helmet right before the hit. Defender tried to lead with his shoulder.

BEAR
November 30th, 2019, 03:46 PM
So why is it when both the QB and the defense drop their heads its targeting on defense?

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 03:47 PM
So why is it when both the QB and the defense drop their heads its targeting on defense?
Officials are taught to throw the targeting flag when in doubt since it's automatically reviewed in that case. Let's hope the process works and they reverse it.

BEAR
November 30th, 2019, 03:48 PM
Nevermind. Guess it isn't.

BEAR
November 30th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Officials are taught to throw the targeting flag when in doubt since it's automatically reviewed in that case. Let's hope the process works and they reverse it.

Ive wondered about things like "hands to the face" by the defense yet a runner is allowed to stiff arm basically anywhere on a defenders body.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 03:53 PM
UND misses a FG

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 03:54 PM
UND misses a FG

The third down play he took the guy running the crossing route and it looked like he had a guy open downfield that would have been a first down and possibly a TD. Sheesh....

Bisonoline
November 30th, 2019, 03:58 PM
UND misses a FG

They are bad. Is there D-line HS kids?

Bison56
November 30th, 2019, 03:59 PM
UND defense is terrible.

Hammersmith
November 30th, 2019, 03:59 PM
They better reverse that targeting call. Ketteringham lowered his helmet right before the hit. Defender tried to lead with his shoulder.

Anyone know why it was 1&10 after that play instead of 1&25? Once we disregard the targeting no-call, it went:

Kett runs and gets the 1st down
End of play - should be new set of downs
Kett taunts and gets an unsportsmanlike - 15 yard penalty

Shouldn't the penalty yardage be applied after the sticks are moved?

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Anyone know why it was 1&10 after that play instead of 1&25? Once we disregard the targeting no-call, it went:

Kett runs and gets the 1st down
End of play - should be new set of downs
Kett taunts and gets an unsportsmanlike - 15 yard penalty

Shouldn't the penalty yardage be applied after the sticks are moved?
I believe on after the whistle penalties like unsportsmanlikes on plays that gain 1st downs they apply the penalty and then set the chains so it's still 1st and 10 just 15 yards further back than where it would've been without the penalty.

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 04:04 PM
UND's QB wtf are you doing?

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Whoops! xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
Great play by #55 for Nicholls

BisonBacker
UND's QB wtf are you doing?

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
Ketteringham is pretty mediocre at best

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Nicholls up 10-0

xnodx

NDB
November 30th, 2019, 04:09 PM
If I had a Nicholl everytime UND got beat.

Hammersmith
November 30th, 2019, 04:09 PM
I believe on after the whistle penalties like unsportsmanlikes on plays that gain 1st downs they apply the penalty and then set the chains so it's still 1st and 10 just 15 yards further back than where it would've been without the penalty.

I don't doubt you, but it seems unfair. It really changes the impact of the foul in this situation compared to any other. A play that results in a 2&3 becomes a 2&18, a 3&12 becomes a 3&27, but a 1&10 becomes a 1&10?

gsf23nd
November 30th, 2019, 04:10 PM
What is that crap music they are playing before the kickoff...

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Nicholls fans WTF is that nosie on kickoff over the loudspeaker? God awful.

TennBison
November 30th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Nicholls up 10-0

xnodx
With the way Nicholls is running the ball you would think they would be up 17 or 20 to zip. But UND has pulled off a good stop on defense when needed.

gsf23nd
November 30th, 2019, 04:14 PM
wtf..they let like 20 seconds run off before taking a TO...

BisonFan02
and then Bubba calls timeout. haha

geaux_sioux
Nice clock management there by Bubba..... real nice

TennBison
They let 20 seconds run off the clock and then call a TO, WTF is up with their clock management??

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I don't doubt you, but it seems unfair. It really changes the impact of the foul in this situation compared to any other. A play that results in a 2&3 becomes a 2&18, a 3&12 becomes a 3&27, but a 1&10 becomes a 1&10?
Agreed. NDSU was the beneficiary of that penalty enforcement in a similar situation last week against SIU. They gained a 1st down on either a 2nd or 3rd down. Zack Johnson was called for an unsportsmanlike. They still had a 1st and 10 after that but it was back from where they had snapped the previous play even though they gained about 10-15 yards on that play.

Lorne_Malvo
November 30th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Bubba did it again!

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 04:17 PM
UND is lucky this game is only 10-3

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Welp back to the tents so the clowns can plan more time management strategies

- - - Updated - - -

UND is lucky this game is only 10-3
How?

Drblankstare
UND looks like absolute horse****, if they only had proper dressing facilities

BisonFan02
Welp back to the tents so the clowns can plan more time management strategies

- - - Updated - - -

How?

Like sprinkles, locker rooms are for winners. :D

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 04:20 PM

xlolxxbowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM

To be fair, the defense hasn't played too bad. Ketteringham is very mediocre. JJ should have come to NDSU and played LB.

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 04:26 PM
To be fair, the defense hasn't played too bad. Ketteringham is very mediocre. JJ should have come to NDSU and played LB.

Our defense usually plays way better after halftime adjustments. We'll see how Schmidt gets our DL to gain 100lbs in 10min.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Our defense usually plays way better after halftime adjustments. We'll see how Schmidt gets our DL to gain 100lbs in 10min.

Where's the big NT for UND? A big hole plugger in the middle would help.

This game will come down to the wire. Probably the last team with the ball will win.

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Where's the big NT for UND? A big hole plugger in the middle would help.

This game will come down to the wire. Probably the last team with the ball will win.
They’ve done an absolute **** job of recruiting that spot. They put all their eggs in one guys basket and he hasn’t gained the weight he’s needed and hasn’t been very effective. Last years DL was light years better. We replaced a 300lb DE with a 220lb one. 300 NG with a 270 lb one. You can’t get away with that in a 3-4 against good teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:36 PM
They’ve done an absolute **** job of recruiting that spot. They put all their eggs in one guys basket and he hasn’t gained the weight he’s needed and hasn’t been very effective. Last years DL was light years better. We replaced a 300lb DE with a 220lb one. 300 NG with a 270 lb one. You can’t get away with that in a 3-4 against good teams.

The UND coaches better get the DL better in the middle cus the Valley has more run oriented teams compared to the BSC. NDSU had a learning curve coming in and so will UND.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 04:41 PM

Really?

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 04:43 PM
UND's corner got bailed out on that call.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Ref's helping out Bubba lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Ref's helping out Bubba lol

Pretty ticky tack holding call on that pass.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Nicholls should have had that INT

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Big TD pass for Nicholls

17-6

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 05:04 PM
It’s gonna be tough for our offense to match them if we don’t legitimize our run game. We have no balance right now.

gsf23nd
November 30th, 2019, 05:06 PM
that has got to be the most annoying kick off music I have ever heard....

- - - Updated - - -

Holy ****...that is the biggest cheerleader I have ever seen...

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 05:07 PM
that has got to be the most annoying kick off music I have ever heard....

- - - Updated - - -

Holy ****...that is the biggest cheerleader I have ever seen...

Mo Bamba between plays? xlolx

gsf23nd
November 30th, 2019, 05:09 PM
that cheerleader could probably play nose for UND..

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 05:11 PM
UND doesn't get a running game for next year....they will not win a game in the Valley.

No_Skill
November 30th, 2019, 05:13 PM
UND does get a running game for next year....they will not win a game in the Valley.

Bubba really needs to get out and canvas the region for a different style athlete.

Edit:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/oYxNkISitSQo/giphy.gif

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Bubba really needs to get out and canvas the region for a different style athlete.
No, tall slow white WRs and small DL are our M.O.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 05:17 PM

This is the type of offense that Freund wants to run.....this up tempo crap. They will get a rude awakening next year in the Valley with this type of team. Looks like USD "light" offensively.....except USD can run a little bit...

Daytripper
November 30th, 2019, 05:17 PM
that cheerleader could probably play nose for UND..

Let's be nice. That's somebody's daughter.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Looks like the fighting chickens have given up.

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Looks like the fighting chickens have given up.

They haven't given up, they're just pining for the tents.

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2019, 05:28 PM

Nah, let him keep recruiting players that will get bitchslapped by their Big Brother.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Nicholls with an INT.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 05:31 PM
That'd be the game

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 05:33 PM
#54 for und has to go back and pick up his jock strap lol

TennBison
November 30th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Shows why UND has no reason for being in the playoffs. No diversity. They look pathetic, almost zero running game for them.

geaux_sioux
November 30th, 2019, 05:37 PM
This is the type of offense that Freund wants to run.....this up tempo crap. They will get a rude awakening next year in the Valley with this type of team. Looks like USD "light" offensively.....except USD can run a little bit...

Danny wants to run the ball but the OL proved early in the year that they can’t open holes consistently. He wants to run more, just can’t.

TennBison
November 30th, 2019, 05:41 PM
The refs really seem to be letting PI calls go. Watching Nicholls just drape themselves all over the UND receivers.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 05:54 PM
The "Fire Bubba" wave has started at the hitler youth board xlolx

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Congrats Colonels! Cya in Fargo next weekend.

knit35
November 30th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Congrats Nicholls!

Daytripper
November 30th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Good luck in Fargo, Colonels. Seriously.

POD Knows
November 30th, 2019, 06:01 PM
This game wasn’t as close as the score. Nichols completely dominated the line of scrimmage. Nicholls is a pretty decent team offensively. Would rather play UND. That game would have been ugly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 06:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing a new team in the FD. Watching Nicholls defense, I think they are going to have a hard time with NDSU's OL and the down hill running. Play action pass might be useful next week.

How many times did UND pass the ball? No running game is not a recipe for success.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Don't worry UND....daddy will come to the rescue. xlolx

Bisonator
November 30th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Congrats to the Colonels! Looking forward to next weekends game!!

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2019, 06:37 PM
Looking forward to seeing a new team in the FD. Watching Nicholls defense, I think they are going to have a hard time with NDSU's OL and the down hill running. Play action pass might be useful next week.

How many times did UND pass the ball? No running game is not a recipe for success.

I can't wait for the bye week they will provide NDSU football each year.

Hood
November 30th, 2019, 06:55 PM
As far as the kickoff music goes:

Going back to 04/05 when they first installed a "modern" scoreboard with a sound system going into the last time I did alumni band, it's been a wretched experience. You have a BAND. It never sounds good coming out of those speakers and a lot of times there's feedback anyway. I guess they're getting use.

Honestly, the scoreboard sound system is a bigger black eye than the "intense" other thread.

Hood
November 30th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Friend reporting from the student section/visitor area (why they seat like that I'll never know):

"I just overheard a North Dakota fan say that if Nicholls wins the game today, he would organize a group of UND fans to travel to Fargo to represent Colonel Nation against North Dakota State because “he’s had the time of his life this weekend in Thibodaux.” 😮😁
Note: UND and NDSU don’t like each other." I want to respond "yeah no kidding, dude come join AGS."

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Friend reporting from the student section/visitor area (why they seat like that I'll never know):

"I just overheard a North Dakota fan say that if Nicholls wins the game today, he would organize a group of UND fans to travel to Fargo to represent Colonel Nation against North Dakota State because “he’s had the time of his life this weekend in Thibodaux.” 
Note: UND and NDSU don’t like each other." I want to respond "yeah no kidding, dude come join AGS."

Gonna post this for ya for posterity sake.....it'll make sense. This was in their school paper....

Despite win, NDSU football still sucks

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik T. Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking **** about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

Outsider1
November 30th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Congrats Colonels, it was a great win for you guys. Eat a lot of wheaties this week and keep your heads high!!!! Give 'em all you got...

POD Knows
November 30th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Note for Nicholls, if you guys have all white uni's, make sure you wear them next week, they look great in the dome.

BisonBacker
November 30th, 2019, 07:56 PM

Gonna post this for ya for posterity sake.....it'll make sense. This was in their school paper....

Bwahahahaha that never gets old. Thanks for posting that gem. Elforko Grande xlolx

F'N Hawks
November 30th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Congrats to Nicholls on the win. They made the big plays and ran the ball well. Not much else to say but the result was in line with their 1-5 road record.

Hood
November 30th, 2019, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking we should charter a plane with SELU, drop us off in Fargo on their way to Montana. On the ride home, we can both share the same in flight medical team. xeyebrowx

McNeese75
November 30th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I'm thinking we should charter a plane with SELU, drop us off in Fargo on their way to Montana. On the ride home, we can both share the same in flight medical team. xeyebrowx

Both venues will be hostile to say the least. BUT, both have great fans and I can guarantee you will be treated well in the town and bars the night before the game. Teams better work on their hand signals cause they aint gonna be able to hear **** xlolx

NOLA
December 1st, 2019, 07:56 AM
A bit surprised how we controlled the line of scrimmage. Didn’t even realize our right tackle was out. On the scoreboard, North Dakota was only one play away from making it a ball game, but never felt that way.

Fourcade gets all the recognition, deservedly so, but I’m glad Gums displayed just how good he’s been all year. I lost track at how many broken tackles he had.