PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Lamb Replacement candidates @ Mercer?

843yapterrier
November 25th, 2019, 10:42 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.macon.com/sports/college/mercer-university/article237737624.html

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Their first phone call needs to be to Drew Cronic.

I've also suggested without any sort of knowledge that they could look at virtually the entire staff at Georgia State, many of whom are former SoCon coordinators with Georgia ties.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Nate Fuqua was Wofford's DC up until 2016, where he accepted the same position at Georgia State.

843yapterrier
November 25th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Nate was in my class at Wofford. Love to see him get an HC gig soon. Also, would Nate Woody have any interest?

walliver
November 25th, 2019, 11:18 AM
I have a gut feeling that Mercer will go for a flashy hire - either an established head coach or well-known P5 coordinator.

I think they want quick results and won't take a chance on an inexperienced coach. Maybe Paul Johnson is tired of retirement (although I don't think Mercer would like the TO).

Nate Woody would be a great choice, but is currently a "defensive analyst" at Michigan. I doubt he would come back to the SoCon unless he has no G5 offers - but you never know.

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I have a gut feeling that Mercer will go for a flashy hire - either an established head coach or well-known P5 coordinator.

I think they want quick results and won't take a chance on an inexperienced coach. Maybe Paul Johnson is tired of retirement (although I don't think Mercer would like the TO).

Nate Woody would be a great choice, but is currently a "defensive analyst" at Michigan. I doubt he would come back to the SoCon unless he has no G5 offers - but you never know.

I contemplated Paul Johnson. He'd almost be like an improved version of what ETSU and Samford attempted with Carl Torbush and Pat Sullivan. Sounded like Georgia Tech was going in a different direction, but it may not have been an exit on his terms.