PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw State @ Wofford

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 08:46 AM
I would imagine I have single-handedly made this the meteor game for AGS:D

Anyway, I like Wofford's chances in this one, much better than last year. I remember combing through the stats for this one and thinking it was a wash last year. But now? Not so much.

What do they have coming back?
KSU
Everyone talks about both of these teams option offenses, but they rarely talk about their stellar defenses. In last year's 13-10 Kennesaw State win, they were on full display. I think I read somewhere that Kennesaw State brought back like 19 of 22 of the defensive two deep. The big loss on defense for KSU, however, was their defensive coordinator who is now at Navy and doing a great job.

On offense, they weren't so fortunate as they brought back only about 23% of their production from last season. Their all-everything QB Chandler Burks is now a defensive quality control coach at Wofford. It's my understanding that the starting QB for KSU went down against Campbell and I think it's a season ending injury (correct me if I'm wrong). The big offensive difference for KSU is that they don't pass the ball well this year, even relative to normal.

Wofford
Wofford brought back most of the offense this year and most of the defense, but had to replace some big players on the DL. The Terriers had some key injuries on the defensive line to begin the year, with two all conference performers (Thad Mangum and Mikel Horton) going down with injury. There's been some innovation and development happening in the meantime, from the installation of a 2-4-5 third down package and the likes of freshmen Michael Mason developing (he leads the socon in sacks per game). Wofford didn't look great to start the year on defense, but a lot of young players have stepped up, especially on DL, culminating in Wofford holding two top 10 defenses in Wofford and the Citadel to well below their averages running the ball.

The Matchup:
Wofford
The stat-line to the Citadel game doesn't show the degree Wofford controlled that game against the Citadel, which will be the best analog to KSU. Wofford played really conservative and when up big was content to let the Citadel run their offense as the Terriers prevented the big play. Wofford held the Citadel to 3 of 17 on fourth down and 4 of 9 on fourth down. On the first two possessions, Wofford forced a turnover on down on the Citadel side of the field and then a punt, converting the two stops into 14 points. They were then pretty much content to let the Bulldogs run their option, but forcing stops at key times (see the conversion rate).

I really like Wofford's defense in this one. Against 9 option-ish teams (Citadel since 2016, CSU in 2016, Furman in 2017 2x, and KSU last year), the terrier defense has allowed (in regulation) 14, 3, 14, 13, 23, 10, 14, 14, and 11. That's about 13 points per game.

On offense, the terriers are different than normal. We run a lot, but we run less straight-up option as we did last year. Joe Newman was on pace for 1000 yards rushing after the Chattanooga game, but since Wofford's just not needed him. Last year, we ran option almost every play (as option teams do) and Kennesaw State pretty much burned us with their quick, smaller defenders disrupting the play before a read can be completed. Wofford this year will run more down-hill, power, hat-on-hat stuff to take advantage of our size in the trenches. The key to the game will be Wofford's ability to convert points and not turn the ball over. Wofford turned the ball over 4 times against SC State in the first game of the season, but has since only turned the ball over 3 times in the next 10 FCS games (including a hail mary interception at the end of the first half of ETSU)

KSU:
This is not the same Kennesaw State team as last year. If you factor out division 2 and FBS games, last year's KSU team was better in a yards-per-game aspect on both side of the ball with a much harder schedule, including SDSU, Wofford, JSU, and Samford. As everyone knows, their schedule isn't as tough this year. This makes it really hard to predict how good they are relative to last year, but I've tried my best.

On offense, last year against Big South competition they scored 70% of the time (which crazy high) and on defense they stopped their opponents from scoring well over 80% of the time (also a crazy high number). This year, the numbers are down to below 60% and 70% respectively. I'd like to think the Big South is at least a little bit better than last year, but it's still bad.

The stats aren't going to tell you much because of the descrepency in SOS (Massey, which everyone likes to use, has Wofford in the top 50, but KSU in the bottom 30), but I think the year-to-year performance is telling. What's more, you can see how their defense performed against Campbell and Monmouth relative to last season (the two decent teams they played, even if Campbell wasn't great) and see a similar shift.

I watched KSU play Monmouth and Gardner Webb and bits of Campbell, and I have to say, they look like a team that goes through the motions. Outside of the Monmouth/Campbell games, they haven't faced a lot of adversity, and in many cases I think they take advantage of the fact that many of their opponents are incompetent. You would think they'd have a better third down conversion rate for conference play, but it's a mediocre ~35ish percent. Wofford is close to 50% against much better competition.

For point of reference, these two teams share a common opponent in Gardner Webb. Wofford, coming off an 0-2 start and not having a coherent identity on offense could have named the score against GW, scoring on something like 7 of our first 9 drives, many of them from long distance (the Terriers were up 49-3 in the fourth quarter). Kennesaw State was gifted short fields in many instances against GW and only scored about 35 points on offense.

The pick that everyone knows I'm going to make:
I think Wofford is a much better team right now. Wofford is roughly the same team on defense statistically and a different, more multiple attack on offense. KSU is not the same team on offense and is very likely not as good on defense. Still, they won't be able to lean on their ability to replicate the option in practice this week. On top of that, I think Wofford wants this one more after what KSU did to us last year. Wofford plays these big "show me what you got" games at home really well in the last few years.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Here's how they stack up statistically (national FCS ranks in parenthesis):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49119778911_82a383427b_o.jpg

Whoever stays under 100 yards passing wins the game???

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Wofford, please end this ignorance.

walliver
November 25th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Wofford isn't really a triple option team anymore and will likely pass the ball more than we traditionally have, so the 100 yard metric probably isn't as important as it has been in the past.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 09:26 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that the Clemson game demolished our stats, especially on defense. They did to us what they do the ACC (and in some ways, we performed at the ACC's level...the ACC is that bad).

If you take out Clemson stats, I think Wofford is in the top 15 in both total offense and defense and we're only giving up 120 yards per game on the ground (not 145). I'll post a screenshot of the Clemson-omitted stats tonight. Top of my head: against FCS competition I think we're only allowing 296 yards per game, around 120 on the ground and south of 180 through the air.

Anyway, consider Wofford faced like 5 1000-yard rushers and a triple option offense, we have a pretty stout run defense.

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Rooting for Wofford to win this one by 70. SIU died for this.

Bisonator
November 25th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Wofford better win this......xcoffeex

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 12:36 PM
I got KSU in this one, go Owls

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 12:41 PM
I got KSU in this one, go Owls

No iron-locked #BookIt?

They need it! Please!

Schism55
November 25th, 2019, 12:44 PM
You know, JUST know Kennesaw is going to win this convincingly to serve up a big ole **** sandwich to all the AGS non believers lol

ksu_owls
November 25th, 2019, 12:52 PM
I think the biggest advantage here is having Chandler Burks help all week with defensive prep at Wofford.

I hated to see Daniel David go down, but Tommy Bryant is an impressive athlete that will make plays at QB for the Owls. If TB gets our offense going then our defense will benefit. Not sure what I'm predicting this one to be, yet, but I will say it's a tough test for the Owls.

walliver
November 25th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Playing the Citadel last week will be an advantage for Wofford. Although we haven't run the wing-bone at all this year, our older defenders are quite familiar with it and out freshman defensive linemen did well last week.

As for our offense, this season I never really know what to expect from week to week, but I expect us to score more than 10 points.

Currently the weather prediction is cloudy with temps in the 50's.

edit: And by the way, this season is the 50th anniversary of when Wofford first ran the triple option.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 03:50 PM
How long will this game take, including the halftime break?
2.5 hours?

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 03:58 PM
No iron-locked #BookIt?

They need it! Please!If Hootyhoo gets too loud on here I will drop the #BOOKIT karma to get them the victory they so richly do not deserve. xnodx

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 04:08 PM
How long will this game take, including the halftime break?
2.5 hours?Commercial breaks will push it to 2.5-3.

Last week against the Citadel, the first half lasted an hour and a half, but bc Citadel dominated TOP (Wofford only had the ball 9 times the whole game and twice in the second quarter) and was down 3 scores + in the second half, the second half lasted like two hours. We let them run their offense and limited the big play so they would get 3 yards and a cloud of dust, convert fourth down and we'd be fine with it. Then they started passing and they'd drop it on the first 3 downs and convert maybe on fourth xlolx

If there were no commercial breaks and the above isn't repeated, the game would last less than two hours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BestOfBreed
November 25th, 2019, 07:13 PM
You know, JUST know Kennesaw is going to win this convincingly to serve up a big ole **** sandwich to all the AGS non believers lol

Nah, Wofford is a top 4 team right now. The Terriers have way more offensive weapons than they ever have. As long as they take care of the ball then they should have a date with James Madison in a few weeks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Commercial breaks will push it to 2.5-3.

Last week against the Citadel, the first half lasted an hour and a half, but bc Citadel dominated TOP (Wofford only had the ball 9 times the whole game and twice in the second quarter) and was down 3 scores + in the second half, the second half lasted like two hours. We let them run their offense and limited the big play so they would get 3 yards and a cloud of dust, convert fourth down and we'd be fine with it. Then they started passing and they'd drop it on the first 3 downs and convert maybe on fourth xlolx

If there were no commercial breaks and the above isn't repeated, the game would last less than two hours.

With 2 run heavy teams, possessions will be crucial. Make the most of them for both teams.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 08:24 PM
With 2 run heavy teams, possessions will be crucial. Make the most of them for both teams.The difference is that Wofford can throw. Since the SC State game, our QB is completing about 58% of his passes, including 7 touchdowns to 2 interceptions.

In comparison, KSU is only completing 45% of their passes and at a clip of about 30 ypg less than last year (against worse competition).

I may sound both like a broken record and a crazy person, but it's not 100% accurate to call Wofford a triple option team anymore. Do we run option? Yes. Does our QB run sometimes? Definitely. But a lot of our runs and yardage this year have come from simple handoffs.

We are a multiple offense in the sense that we want to spread the field, beat you with speed if we need to, but also pound you with downhill running as well. Our QB is definitely a better run threat than a passing threat, but there's more play design and sharper execution behind our passing plays than normal option teams.

At times this year when we've needed to pass, we've executed nearly perfectly. Some games, we don't even feel the need to throw. I feel like a lot of option teams throw to keep teams off balance or to throw a bomb down field, but Wofford will throw if it's there or if we need the yardage, like normal teams do.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that our offense is "normal" or we could beat air raid style, because that's not Joe Newman's skillset. But I will say our ability to run in whatever package we deem necessary AND our comfort throwing the ball makes us a dangerous team.

And that's the big difference from Wofford this year and last year (when we were basically a flexbone out of the shotgun) and the year before that (when were even more flexbone). I'm not sure if KSU can scheme it the same way as they did last year.

cx500d
November 25th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Nah, Wofford is a top 4 team right now. The Terriers have way more offensive weapons than they ever have. As long as they take care of the ball then they should have a date with James Madison in a few weeks.

stay off the dope

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 08:41 PM
To put things in perspective about how Wofford has somewhat (successfully) pivoted in the last month to a more "run-first that isn't option" just look at Joe Newman's rushing stats.

For his first 7 games he was averaging 13 carries for 107 yards. In the last 4 games, he's averaging 5 carries for about 34.

Wofford's not dumb. We will use his athleticism and skillset. He's not Joe Montana. We've also not passed it a lot either. But we know how to run the ball in a thousand different ways without it necessarily being an option.

HootyHoo
November 25th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Why is there a poll for this game? Everyone knows that the fate of the Southern Conference Champion is to lose to the mighty powerhouse Kennesaw State. The Owls have a secret weapon in QB Tommy Bryant. Tommy Touchdown rushed for 154 yards and 4 TDs in his last game. Hoot Hoot!

cx500d
November 25th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Definition of Novembrist: “a. weasly troll that shows up briefly every November
synomym: HootyHoo”

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 09:30 PM

I'm old enough to remember when you lost to Samford.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 09:46 PM
Why is there a poll for this game? Everyone knows that the fate of the Southern Conference Champion is to lose to the mighty powerhouse Kennesaw State. The Owls have a secret weapon in QB Tommy Bryant. Tommy Touchdown rushed for 154 yards and 4 TDs in his last game. Hoot Hoot!Joe Newman rushed for a yard more against GW and didn't even play in the fourth quarter

TheKingpin28
November 25th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Why is there a poll for this game? Everyone knows that the fate of the Southern Conference Champion is to lose to the mighty powerhouse Kennesaw State. The Owls have a secret weapon in QB Tommy Bryant. Tommy Touchdown rushed for 154 yards and 4 TDs in his last game. Hoot Hoot!

The gift that keeps on giving.

BurialGround
November 26th, 2019, 05:16 AM
I've said it already, but unless we somehow go back to playing the hard-nosed defense of the last few years, Wofford will win.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Wofford, please end this ignorance.

Agreed

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2019, 06:44 AM
I've said it already, but unless we somehow go back to playing the hard-nosed defense of the last few years, Wofford will win.

I think some of the difficulty for KSU will be to match Wofford's speed and physicality.

The upside of KSU's schedule is it helped land them a postseason berth. The downside is that it did very little to prepare them for what awaits Saturday. I think Wofford is the best team KSU has faced all season, and I'm not sure that's a particularly close call. Certainly the best team they've seen in a while.

The Owls are going to have to quickly adjust to a different sort of game than they've probably been used to playing. How well they do that may be the difference in the game.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Wofford really wants this one. The Terriers felt like last year slipped through their hands. I don't think that memory is as salient for the owls.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Man, I’m struggling with this one.

Having a hard time deciding if Wofford wins by 3 scores, 4 scores, or more.

Need to study some more film. What week did the li’l hooters play Antelope Valley CC?

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Man, I’m struggling with this one.

Having a hard time deciding if Wofford wins by 3 scores, 4 scores, or more.

Need to study some more film. What week did the li’l hooters play Antelope Valley CC?

I'd watch the Campbell game (good analog for the Terriers offense right now IMO even if Wofford is better and won't pass as much) and Gardner Webb game (common opponent and let's just say KSU doesn't look great, in spite of the scoreboard)

Lion1983
November 26th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I'm picking KSU by 17.
I just like their coach.

ElCid
November 26th, 2019, 08:35 AM
I'm picking KSU by 17.
I just like their coach.

That's funny. I won't say say it's a guaranteed win for Wofford, KSU is better than their schedule demonstrates, but there is little chance they lose by that much, if they lose. Wofford actually plays defense.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 09:25 AM
I would be surprised if KSU scores more than 20 on us.

That's not to say that they can't win (I mean, they won 13-10 last year), but I would be very surprised if they got to 20. Wofford held the Owls to season-low rushing stats last year and this KSU team doesn't pass the ball as well and it's not as battle-tested as that one.

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Everyone knows that dogs are tougher than owls....

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2019, 12:26 PM
I would be surprised if KSU scores more than 20 on us.

That's not to say that they can't win (I mean, they won 13-10 last year), but I would be very surprised if they got to 20. Wofford held the Owls to season-low rushing stats last year and this KSU team doesn't pass the ball as well and it's not as battle-tested as that one.

I think this game will be a much higher scoring affair than last year! No shot at Daniel David but Tommy Brytant is a lot more athletic and the offense is a lot more effective with him in. Hopefully we will give you guys a competitive game!

BurialGround
November 26th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I think some of the difficulty for KSU will be to match Wofford's speed and physicality.

The upside of KSU's schedule is it helped land them a postseason berth. The downside is that it did very little to prepare them for what awaits Saturday. I think Wofford is the best team KSU has faced all season, and I'm not sure that's a particularly close call. Certainly the best team they've seen in a while.

The Owls are going to have to quickly adjust to a different sort of game than they've probably been used to playing. How well they do that may be the difference in the game.

Us being soft has a lot less to do with the schedule than it does with us losing almost our entire defensive coaching staff and not making the best hires to replace them. The schedule certainly hasn't helped though; we've played few teams that could come out and pop us in the mouth. Of course, Wofford is gonna want to do just that.

cx500d
November 26th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Everyone knows that dogs are tougher than owls....

https://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/owl-attacks-deer.jpg

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2019, 07:18 PM
https://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/owl-attacks-deer.jpg
LittleDogs is ready. Dey got dat...
https://thepetbooklady.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8347a49a469e201b7c908d139970b-500wi
...RaptorShield!

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2019, 07:31 PM
had an early glimpse of Wofford this year, I thought they looked bad

had a recent glimpse of Wofford this year, thought they looked really good....

They win this game by 28

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Well, that was easy. Wofford looked strong on that drive.

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 04:06 PM
That was a 3rd string QB mistake. Terrible execution on 4th and inches.

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 04:17 PM
7-7 at the half. KSU looks like the better team but it’ll be tough to win with our 3rd string QB in. I liked what TB was doing. Hope he can play the 2nd half.

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Well, I guess this won't be such an easy win for Wofford.

Damn shame that our QB went down. After the first Wofford drive, we've looked like the better team. The defense is gonna have to gut it out.

The 3rd-stringer is the future of the KSU offense, but he just doesn't know the offense that well and is very inexperienced. But he's pure talent and might make some plays...

CopperCat
November 30th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Wofford has 90 yards of offense in the first half. xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Great pass!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:41 PM
That was a helluva drive by Wofford to start the second half.....

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 05:00 PM
With the best 3rd string QB in FCS, the Owls tie it up at 14

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Still waiting for that whole beatdown thing to start. xdontknowx

Future looks bright for our offense with this young QB.

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 05:16 PM
21-14 with 10 mins left to play as the second best big south team and their QB3 lead the powerful socon champs. Either we aren’t bad or y’all aren’t good.

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Put the SOCON on that Spongebob meme. Apparently they are trying to be a basketball conference now and have gave up on football.

Bison56
November 30th, 2019, 05:33 PM
SoCon is terrible

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2019, 05:34 PM
Lol

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 05:36 PM
28-14 with 4 mins left. Who do we play next week? I haven’t looked at a bracket. Wofford fans had me convinced we were going to lose.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Wofford’s QB looks pretty rough throwing the ball

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Part of the problem is that KSU is actually a bit better than everyone here has given them credit for. Everyone screamed weak schedule and that has very little to do with how good a team actually is. They crapped the bed once all year and somehow they are garbage. Too funny.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Looks like the Big South has surpassed the Socon. Sad times for a once proud conference.

Congrats to the Owls!

hebmskebm
November 30th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Every now and then the AGS hivemind, which is usually really sharp when it comes to predicting how things are gonna go, just faceplants on a prediction.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 05:45 PM
I guess the answer to who this year's CAA is the SOCON

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Looks like the Big South has surpassed the Socon. Sad times for a once proud conference.

Congrats to the Owls!

The SoCon has definitely slipped considerably. Losing App State and Georgia Southern was a brutal blow and truly impossible to replace.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2019, 05:49 PM
The SoCon has definitely slipped considerably. Losing App State and Georgia Southern was a brutal blow and truly impossible to replace.
Yeah but the other teams have fallen off a cliff. How do you explain that?

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Ahem!! xdrunkyx

knit35
November 30th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Congrats Kennesaw. Hooty Hooty Hoo Where are You?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Yeah but the other teams have fallen off a cliff. How do you explain that?

I think it's tough for private schools to consistently be at an elite level. Wofford is still a good Top 20/15 program and the best in the SoCon. Furman has been an enigma for the last 15 or so years. They're a bit like the YSU of the South. Chasing old glory in a new era.

Chattanooga not being able to build anything hurts. They're a large public school in a city size city. They have nice facilities too. Easily on par with App State's and GSU when those schools were in the conference. The Mocs are big underachievers imo.

HootyHoo
November 30th, 2019, 05:56 PM
HOOT HOOT HATERS! The Owls are the socons's Daddy.

KSUFAN
November 30th, 2019, 05:58 PM
I guess the committee isn’t as dumb as so many thought when picking KSU! A lot of you thought Wofford might be a seed. RA was right all along about Furman though! Like I said I am just happy KSU got the chance!

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 05:59 PM
I think it's tough for private schools to consistently be at an elite level. Wofford is still a good Top 20/15 program and the best in the SoCon. Furman has been an enigma for the last 15 or so years. They're a bit like the YSU of the South. Chasing old glory in a new era

Okay, so what does that make KSU since we’ve beaten wofford twice. Top 15 or better? What about MU? Or.... is the socon not that great? Those statements have big implications that have to fit into the overall FCS puzzle.

HootyHoo
November 30th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Okay, so what does that make KSU since we’ve beaten wofford twice. Top 15 or better? What about MU? Or.... is the socon not that great? Those statements have big implications that have to fit into the overall FCS puzzle.

I think it means the Big South is clearly better than the socon. Two playoff wins(congrats Monmouth) should give the conference more respect nationwide.

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:05 PM
You SoCon guys don't get to talk about how KSU fans are stupid, delusional, and know-nothing. You've done it for three straight years and you're 0-3 against us in the playoffs. Now we beat your champion on the road with a 3rd string QB in a down year. From now on, the SoCon has to prove something to KSU, not the other way around.

As for the game, our pass coverage still sucks beyond all belief, but we played much tougher than we have all year, so huge credit to the defense. And hats off to Coach Bo for having this offense ready despite all the injuries, and even losing the backup QB early in the game. Hell of a job.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 06:07 PM

Kennesaw State has things rolling. Thisis their second year on a national stage so I'm not going to go overboard with their presence. But they definitely have been able to put together two nationally viable, Top 15 type teams in back-2-back years. Wofford was a good, playoff worthy team.

Monmouth has definitely emerged in the Northeast. I'm not putting much stock in their win over Holy Cross (PL and HC were not playoff material in '19) but the scope of their season has been impressive. They've won 10 straight against the Patriot League for whatever that's worth.

UpstateBison
November 30th, 2019, 06:07 PM

If you can win a QF game, you can talk. Otherwise, you are in the the middling teens of the FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Kennesaw State has things rolling. Thisis their second year on a national stage so I'm not going to go overboard with their presence. But they definitely have been able to put together two nationally viable, Top 15 type teams in back-2-back years. Wofford was a good, playoff worthy team.

Monmouth has definitely emerged in the Northeast. I'm not putting much stock in their win over Holy Cross (PL and HC were not playoff material in '19) but the scope of their season has been impressive. They've won 10 straight against the Patriot League for whatever that's worth.

How about three years?

QF in 2017, QF in 2018, and now second round this year. And honestly, this is the worst of the three teams, but the future looks bright!

Redbird 4th & short
November 30th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Part of the problem is that KSU is actually a bit better than everyone here has given them credit for. Everyone screamed weak schedule and that has very little to do with how good a team actually is. They crapped the bed once all year and somehow they are garbage. Too funny.
agreed .. they were putting bad teams away by a lot. There was no way they should get a seed, but I felt they deserved a bid. Laid one egg like many teams did. I think they are in trouble when they play a real defense, but they are competitive.

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 06:13 PM
If you can win a QF game, you can talk. Otherwise, you are in the the middling teens of the FCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand and agree. I think we are too banged up to do anything special this postseason, but I’m proud of our rebuilding team getting our 4th playoff win in our 5th year as a program.

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:18 PM
agreed .. they were putting bad teams away by a lot. There was no way they should get a seed, but I felt they deserved a bid. Laid one egg like many teams did. I think they are in trouble when they play a real defense, but they are competitive.

Wofford is a real defense and should know our offense better than anybody, considering they also run a TO.

I'm much more worried about a pass-heavy spread team, especially if the QB can run (ie Monmouth). Our schemes just aren't set up to stop that.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2019, 06:25 PM
As I said on Twitter, playing in a bad conference doesn't mean you're a bad team for winning it. Scarcity of opportunity doesn't translate to a scarcity of talent or potential.

We got out-coached today. That's rare on defense, but it happened. We aren't done building what coach Conklin envisions, but the socon is in the wilderness.

Credit to KSU, they are a great program.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 06:27 PM
How about three years?

QF in 2017, QF in 2018, and now second round this year. And honestly, this is the worst of the three teams, but the future looks bright!

Yeah I meant they had been around two years on a national stage prior to today. A win next week would really push the program forward imo. There seems to be a revolving door at the top after NDSU and to a lesser extent JMU. No reason KSU can't be up there. They've filled GSU's FCS spot in the Peach State nicely. Running their offense to boot...

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 06:44 PM

Wofford is a real defense.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 04:23 AM
had an early glimpse of Wofford this year, I thought they looked bad

had a recent glimpse of Wofford this year, thought they looked really good....

They win this game by 28

hilarious

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 09:03 AM
You can say what you want about KSU but they show up in the playoffs.

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 09:35 AM
You can say what you want about KSU but they show up in the playoffs.
I agree. I still believe we need to play better competition during the regular season to have a legit shot at a title. But, we are a good team that deserves to be playing in December and clarifying that for all of FCS feels good as an Owl fan!

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 09:37 AM
I agree. I still believe we need to play better competition during the regular season to have a legit shot at a title. But, we are a good team that deserves to be playing in December and clarifying that for all of FCS feels good as an Owl fan!

well said and I will have my Hotty Ho hat on for sure when you visit Weber State.... shock em!

- - - Updated - - -

well said and I will have my Hotty Ho hat on for sure when you visit Weber State.... shock em!