PDA

View Full Version : # 17 Furman at #14 Austin Peay

gofurman
November 24th, 2019, 08:51 PM
Just starting a playoff game thread for this one.

Austin Peay fans - what are your best strengths and weaknesses? Is your key RB out for this one? (Kentel Williams #5 and Ahmad Tanner #21 seem the workhorses at RB but I didn't see Kentel play in last game?).. he wasn't on box score. I know you lost starter" QB in second game but Craig has been there ever since and is a Senior.

If I recall correctly your interior DL is HUGE... is that right? That's my memory of Mercer game.

Who are your best players? Best weapons or players on D?

For Furman a little information - We are good but one struggle is inconsistency at QB. Both QBs are freshman (ok, R-FR). No one older than that as we are in year 3 of Coach Hendrix. When QBs are on we are so much a different team but vs Citadel and Woff (our only two FCS losses) we were 5-25 and 13-30 passing. It's that simple. Some was due to the defense and pressure of DL from Woff etc. No doubt. I give credit where due. But some we just missed. Literally wide open WRs we just missed. I personally (worthless) think we ought to start every game with a simple screen pass even if it gets 1 yard. Just get the QB confident...

Grainger started at QB for first 7 games or so.. then Sisson (again both redshirt-Fr) started last few games essentially. Both have shown great poise and plays... both have faltered a little... guess that's Freshman. Grainger was even National FCS Freshman of week for lighting up FBS Georgia State for a ton o' yards but then ... well, I don't know. Sisson came in game 'cold' and led us to a comeback win over Chattanooga on road. Just up and down a little for right now as Freshman are want to be. But it's November .. time to be getting consistent - Sisson though only started 2 games or so so far as Grainger was starting all the September and October games/

We run pretty well and have run up scores on some teams with basic running but we don't blow the best teams off the ball. Citadel and Woff stymied us at LOS. Others in SoCon we were able to run pretty well on. One common opponent we have is ETSU. They stymied our O some and we won 17-10. I see you all lost a close one to them 14-20. So not a ton of discrepancy there. Yeah, we won and you lost but both low scoring games. We also both played Mercer.. we won 45-10 and you all also won, though 48-34. Granted you all played AT Mercer, we were at home. Also, you were at ETSU, we played ETSU at Furman

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Here's how they stack up statistically (national FCS rank in parenthesis):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49119276398_5e8ca01702_o.jpg

ElCid
November 24th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Here's how they stack up statistically (national FCS rank in parenthesis):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49119276398_5e8ca01702_o.jpg

Pretty even match up on paper. Two things stand out. Rush yards allowed and I think that is just the difference between the OVC and SOCON to be honest. The SOCON rushes a lot more. That explains the passing yards allowed as well, the other way. The other thing is penalties. Might be the difference between the conferences as well.

gofurman
November 24th, 2019, 10:43 PM
OVC? Austin Peay? someone :) ?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Socon has 5 1000-yars rushers and 3 top 10 rushing teams, to put things in perspective.

Furman's strength is pass defense and running a difficult offense to stop, being aggressive with the time of possession game.

If you can run the ball well (and stop the run), you can flip the script on them. AP has a good run defense I see, but they won't run it as well as Wofford or the Citadel.

Shocker, I like the socon team because they're more familiar to me, but I think Furman's defense is good enough to put AP out of their comfort zone.

It's irrelevant to the outcome of this game, but AP lost to the second worst Socon team and beat another lower tier socon team thanks to a couple pick 6's. I think there's a ceiling to the number of points AP can score.

First one to 30 wins. It may be first to 20.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WCU-Cats!
November 24th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Got my money on FU here

Mike296
November 24th, 2019, 11:39 PM
OVC? Austin Peay? someone :) ?

We are very reliant on the run game but last game against EIU we showed we can pass the ball too. We run a 4-3 with some big guys in the middle of that front 4. Our Run defense has been one of the best in the nation all year so we know how to stop it. Pass defense is very much a weakness but we’re one of those teams where we have one of those “bend but don’t break” type defenses. Our Offense is very explosive if we get our playmakers in space. Our best two players on offense without Oatsvall are Kentell Williams and DeAngelo Wilson.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2019, 11:42 PM
4-3 huh? That's kind of rare at this level

Mike296
November 24th, 2019, 11:44 PM

It works though and that’s why our run defense is so good.

gofurman
November 25th, 2019, 12:26 AM

they are HUGE in middle of DL. Like 340+ or so

is that right Mike296?

also just a question. You say you are reliant on your good run game ... but I see you run for 180 yds a game and pass for 240 a game. 180 a game rushing doesn’t sound like you Had/or needed great running outputs to win most games? Or do you run more attempts as rushing but get bigger plays on less pass attempts ? Maybe that’s it .. asking for help understanding. Thanks

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 04:53 AM
As I mentioned on our forum, APSU is undoubtedly going to try to do defensively what every other team tries to do to Furman - throw bodies at the running game, blitz late on passing plays, and try to disrupt Furman's young QBs.

PaladinNation
November 25th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Every team is excited to be in the playoffs - that said Furman is very excited to be playing this weekend.

Furman's losses have been frustrating to watch as a fan… so many big play chances have just missed by inches.
The keys for Hamp and Darren are not pressing and due to the complexity of the offense - the the offensive unit as a whole has to be technically correct. Blocking the right guy, spacing in the backfield, etc…

Furman uncharacteristically left fourteen points on the field against Wofford. I think that's the key in this matchup, take the points.
We have an overwhelming advantage in the kicking game. Once Furman crosses an opponents 45 we should get points.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 07:53 AM
I think Samford's base defense is a 4-3, but I could be wrong.

PaladinNation
November 25th, 2019, 08:07 AM

interesting - will be curious to see if Furman attacks the edge of the GOVs defense. I group both Wofford and Furman has having high-level edge speed at the TB/SB positions. We've not see Bell in the slot this season - due to limited play. But Furman can hit you with a lot of speed on the edge and in the passing game 0 IF - we hit those passes.

One thing not mentioned - Coach Ojong, Furman's DB coach was at Austin Peay last season. Not sure this makes a big difference, but Ojong should help with understanding the APSU personnel. Also CCH has already noted Furman has seen APSU twice this season on film. APSU/Mercer played the week before Furman played Mercer, APSU/ETSU played the week before Furman played ETSU.

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 08:54 AM

They are one of the few remaining base 4-3s.

It's a case where FCS teams just find it a lot easier to recruit linebacker/safety types than defensive linemen. Just a far more available resource.

Of course, most defenses shift and and out sets that resemble 3-4s at times and 4-3s at times. Furman shows plenty of 4-3 looks though technically runs a 3-4.

Mike296
November 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM
they are HUGE in middle of DL. Like 340+ or so

is that right Mike296?

also just a question. You say you are reliant on your good run game ... but I see you run for 180 yds a game and pass for 240 a game. 180 a game rushing doesn’t sound like you Had/or needed great running outputs to win most games? Or do you run more attempts as rushing but get bigger plays on less pass attempts ? Maybe that’s it .. asking for help understanding. Thanks

You’d be correct about our huge interior lineman.

Professor
November 25th, 2019, 11:53 AM
APSU by 10

Bisonator
November 25th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Add a poll please

katss07
November 25th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Let’s go Peay!

Bear84
November 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Let’s go Peay!

xnodx

AppApp
November 25th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Paladins xnodx

gofurman
November 25th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Paladins xnodx

congrats on keeping the SoCon tradition by winning Sun Belt and beating USC and UNC. Cheaters at UNC always deserve to lose !

gofurman
November 25th, 2019, 10:40 PM
I looked at box scores. AP appears to favor 50 runs and 25 passes in 75 plays- the ones they win easily. When they are in a tight game it becomes more 50/50 run pass

vs Mercer in a win they ran about 40 times and passed 30. Roughly. Vs ETSU in a loss they ran 30 times and passed 38 times. Guessing we stack the box. However we have shown some VERY odd schematics in run D vs Citadel and Woff where our back 7 didn’t get downfield fast enough vs run (not as fast as we did w Staggs at DC for sure) so I hope we are learning from that. Need a stronger run D. Glad AP throws at least 30% of time

Mike296
November 25th, 2019, 11:36 PM
I looked at box scores. AP appears to favor 50 runs and 25 passes in 75 plays- the ones they win easily. When they are in a tight game it becomes more 50/50 run pass

vs Mercer in a win they ran about 40 times and passed 30. Roughly. Vs ETSU in a loss they ran 30 times and passed 38 times. Guessing we stack the box. However we have shown some VERY odd schematics in run D vs Citadel and Woff where our back 7 didn’t get downfield fast enough vs run (not as fast as we did w Staggs at DC for sure) so I hope we are learning from that. Need a stronger run D. Glad AP throws at least 30% of time

Now you understand what I meant by us favoring our run game.

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2019, 05:06 AM
Clay Hendrix sort of confirmed my initial thought about APSU during his presser yesterday - they are schematically Western Carolina with a defense.

Hendrix also downplayed getting too involved in a statistical analysis because of the difference in the two leagues. The SoCon has a lot more run heavy teams while the OVC guns it around a lot more. Naturally, teams in the OVC will have statistically better run defenses because they don't see as many run heavy teams.

APSU had a solid run defense, but did surrender close to 200 yards rushing to Eastern Kentucky, the only other OVC team that averages at least 170 yards per game on the ground. That was around the Colonel's season average.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Clay Hendrix sort of confirmed my initial thought about APSU during his presser yesterday - they are schematically Western Carolina with a defense.

Hendrix also downplayed getting too involved in a statistical analysis because of the difference in the two leagues. The SoCon has a lot more run heavy teams while the OVC guns it around a lot more. Naturally, teams in the OVC will have statistically better run defenses because they don't see as many run heavy teams.

APSU had a solid run defense, but did surrender close to 200 yards rushing to Eastern Kentucky, the only other OVC team that averages at least 170 yards per game on the ground. That was around the Colonel's season average.Maybe...2 significant differences from WCU though...

1) Running game is much more downhill - not a lot of East/West junk
2) O-Line is exp’d & nasty. Several FBS transfers if I recall

I’d say they are more like ETSU in the running game & OL with a dual threat QB & RB’s are not quite as good as those 2 from ETSU. QB is more like Samford’s “O” (when “O” plays his best).

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Maybe...2 significant differences from WCU though...

1) Running game is much more downhill - not a lot of East/West junk
2) O-Line is exp’d & nasty. Several FBS transfers if I recall

I’d say they are more like ETSU in the running game & OL with a dual threat QB & RB’s are not quite as good as those 2 from ETSU. QB is more like Samford’s “O” (when “O” plays his best).

I suppose one of the benefits of playing a SoCon schedule is you see just about everything offensively.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 07:33 AM
I suppose one of the benefits of playing a SoCon schedule is you see just about everything offensively.

If you play in the Socon, you play :

Air Raid (Samford/ VMI)
Run-first spread (Wofford/Furman)
Pro style (Mercer/Chattanooga/ETSU; though they each have their own wrinkles and tendencies, obviously)
"Baylor" Spread (Western Carolina)
Flexbone option (The Citadel)

This year, every team except maybe the citadel (weirdly enough) ran the ball better than they did last year. I want to say that the average team gave up 40 yards more per game in run defense.

And with the exception of maybe ETSU and WCU, I think everyone ran their offense pretty competently this season, which benefited the likes of Wofford/Furman for the playoffs.

In my opinion, most of the FCS resorts too much to spread/air-raid/pro-style-that-throws-50-times-a-game and the result is a lot of the FCS doesn't play good defense. I like the socon's prep for whatever team they face because the best teams do have to have a good defense to win the league, and the same can't be said about the Southland, OVC, and some Big Sky/CAA teams. The Socon's emphasis on running the football and the necessity of good defense will benefit them relative to everyone else going forward IMO.

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2019, 08:01 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the post season. Wofford/KSU probably isn't a great example. I'd like to see how Furman/Wofford square up against some of the Big Sky teams.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 09:26 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the post season. Wofford/KSU probably isn't a great example. I'd like to see how Furman/Wofford square up against some of the Big Sky teams.

I'm hoping for a Big Sky invitation, provided we can take care of business this week.

Mike296
November 26th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Can I just say Congrats to my govs on their first playoff appearance. I’m thinking this is going to be a slobber knocker of a game(As Jim Ross would say) not too sure on the score as it’s very much a battle of very similar offenses.

FUTILLURPURPLE
November 26th, 2019, 09:26 PM
The winner of the Austin Peay-Furman contest will face No. 4 seed Sacramento State, Dec. 7, in the second round of the championship.

Austin Peay (9-3) clinched a share of its second Ohio Valley Conference championship, Saturday, and earned the league's automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs. This will be Austin Peay's first-ever postseason appearance.

Furman (8-4) earned an at-large bid after finishing second in the Southern Conference this season behind Wofford, which also will play an opening round game. It will be the Paladins' 18th appearance in the FCS Playoffs and second under third-year head coach Clay Hendrix.

Austin Peay and Furman have played two common opponents this season: East Tennessee and Mercer. The Governors split their results against the two, picking up a 48-34 victory at Mercer in Week 3 before dropping a 20-14 decision at ETSU the following week. Furman defeated both teams in consecutive weeks to open SoCon play, securing a 45-10 Week 4 win at Mercer before eking out a 17-10 victory against ETSU the following week.

Saturday's game at 1 pm EST will be the first between the two teams.

gofurman
November 26th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Is there a way to merge this with the other thread? I only ask because we had some good dialogue going with an Austin Peay guy... if not, no big deal. I know now that they want the poll at the top. My mistake - I was excited and jumped the gun xnodx

gofurman
November 26th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Can I just say Congrats to my govs on their first playoff appearance. I’m thinking this is going to be a slobber knocker of a game(As Jim Ross would say) not too sure on the score as it’s very much a battle of very similar offenses.

Mike, As a Furman fan I want to say CONGRATS to your Govs on the first playoff appearance. I want a tough fight and sure, I want a Furman win, but good-natured/classy fans are the best. Let's keep sharing a little information on teams throughout week.

What would you say is your biggest weakness?

I would say ours is QB Inconsistency. They both have real talent for sure - one was the FCS national player of the week vs an FBS team ! - but we are up and down as both are Redshirt Freshman. Hopefully that resolves itself by next year. When one of them is on we are a whole different team and can play with VTech or beat Mercer (a team you are more familiar with) 45-10. If passing game is off we can really struggle and teams load the box on us. Which I expect you will do to test our QBs. If we hit 50+% of our passes (even short ones) I say we probably win..

In our two losses our passing was 5-25 and 13-30. So i THINK we won every FCS game where our passing was 50%...

gofurman
November 26th, 2019, 11:29 PM
Mike / Austin Peay fans... We may need to move this to the thread where there is a poll.. that was my fault for not setting up a Poll.

But interested in what you perceive is an area you all could use some work on?

Mike296
November 27th, 2019, 12:34 AM
We have the skill players no doubt about it but what we lack is depth on the lines. If we get any injuries it’s pretty much over. We’re a very young team minus our top guys with lots of underclassmen on the roster. One of our biggest strengths though is our starting OL/DL’s. It’s hard to believe how far this program has come in just a few short years. From just missing the playoffs two years ago to making it this year. Watch out for this program in the coming years. This could be the coming of the APSU governors

apaladin
November 27th, 2019, 02:13 AM
Mike296, Why no activity on the APSU message board? I mean literally none all season. Is there another message board somewhere?

LetsGoPeay
November 27th, 2019, 03:37 AM
Austin Peay is historically a basketball school. I would be surprised that 10 people even know about this website, since it's strictly FCS football driven. Even with me, I live in Clarksville, but I normally supported and talked about Tennessee State football.

Here's all you need to know about the transformation of Austin Peay football.

- 29 game losing streak from 2014 - 2017
- lost 47 out of 48 games between 2012 - 2017
- Austin Peay actually terminated scholarship football, left the OVC in football only, and went to the Pioneer League for 4 seasons ( 2001 - 2005 )
- last winning season before 2017, happened in 2007 . . which was the first winning season in about 20 years
- from 2017 - 2019, Austin Peay has gone 22 - 13 and won their first conference championship since 1977

What has gone on at that university, from a football standpoint, is literally the stuff that movies are made on. The university tore down the home side of the stadium in 2013, and built a very nice setup for the home fans, that seemed to revitalize the program. It seems like the new stadium, and the logo change to the "mean looking" Governor, has transformed the university.

With the students out for Thanksgiving break, it'll be interesting to see how many people show up for the game. All I know is that the city is pretty hyped about this game. Right now, there is a 100% chance for rain on Saturday, which is a crazy forecast 4 days out. Temperatures in the mid - upper 50s.

cx500d
November 27th, 2019, 05:24 AM
I hope AP shows up for this game....We need some new faces in the FCS elite. I think they will and they will put Furman down.

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2019, 06:35 AM
I hope AP shows up for this game....We need some new faces in the FCS elite. I think they will and they will put Furman down.

a comment about new faces in the FCS elite coming from a Bison fan… rich! I have no doubt APSU is on it's way up so are the DINS.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Mike - this is normally gofurman territory, but I am curious about APSU injuris.

Back to that in a minute....As a Mercer Fan also, I have seen quite a bit of a APSU since 2014 & have ALWAYS been impressed with the talent & knew that a change in Coaching could turn things around there. Healey was PERFECT to infuse the positive energy & excitement needed to create some much-needed inertia in the program & recruiting. And, honestly, I think APSU was fortunate he departed & they were able to bring in an experienced, proven winning HC in Hudspeth. If you add back his vacated wins at ULL (due to a rogue Asst’s activity), he has won 67% of his games & almost always brought his Teams into post-season play. I love the Gov’s diversity on O & their attacking style / aggressive attitude on D. I didn’t see much of Oatsvall, but I have seen quite a bit of Craig. He has really matured nicely, plays within himself, and maximizes (maybe optimizes is more accurate) his talents. I’ve been very high on APSU all year & had them ranked #11 in my final regular season AGS poll.

All that said, I watched some of E.ILL @ APSU last night & noticed RB #5 was still out from the shoulder injury he sustained falling hard on it going in for a score early in the Gov’s win over MurraySt. He trotted off in pain (though he tried not to show that to the Racers - Atta guy!) carrying his arm as if he had a fairly severe separation or broken collar bone. #2, #3, and #4 are all good Players running the ball, but #5 is the real workhorse back there & his absence was quite noticeable early in the EIU game. Is he expected to play this Sat. or no? Also noticed some OL shuffling & determined the starting Center was out. OLmen did not look very comfortable in their ‘shuffled’ roles. Was he out and is he expected back on Sat.?

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Mike / Austin Peay fans... We may need to move this to the thread where there is a poll.. that was my fault for not setting up a Poll.

But interested in what you perceive is an area you all could use some work on?

Prolly can ask Ursus to combine the threads and/or add a poll to this one & then combine.

ming01
November 27th, 2019, 09:00 AM
This is the only matchup I cannot make up mind on who will win. Does Furman run a version of the triple option?

Professor
November 27th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Austin Peay by 14

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2019, 09:22 AM
This is the only matchup I cannot make up mind on who will win. Does Furman run a version of the triple option?Furman is NOT a “Triple Option Team.” Furman is not an “Option Team.”

Does Furman, occasionally, run the double wing formation that is so often the alignment of Triple Option Teams? Yes

Does Furman run some option (speed, zone read, trap, load option) & even some triple option out of this, and other formations? Yes

ming01
November 27th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Looks like rain and win Saturday in Clarksville.

- - - Updated - - -

Furman is NOT a “Triple Option Team.” Furman is not an “Option Team.”

Does Furman, occasionally, run the double wing formation that is so often the alignment of Triple Option Teams? Yes

Does Furman run some option (speed, zone read, trap, load option) & even some triple option out of this, and other formations? Yes

Thanks for the info.

kdinva
November 27th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Is Furman flying, or bussing to Clarksville? Per Google maps, it's right at that 400 mile threshold.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Busing. It's at 390 miles

ursus arctos horribilis
November 27th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Merged as requested.

PaladinNation
November 27th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Furman is NOT a “Triple Option Team.” Furman is not an “Option Team.”

It's frustrating to hear Furman put in the bucket of a option team. Listening to several of the FCS podcasts and the overview of the FU/APSU obviously most have little in-depth knowledge of what Furman does and tries to do on offense. Against GeorgiaSt Furman had 215 rushing and 311 passing, against Mercer Furman hit 600 yards (410 rushing, 210 passing) against Samford 647 yards (460 rushing, 187 passing) against VMI 636 yards (298 rushing 338 passing).

CCH has said it over and over that Furman wants to be multiple on offense. The facts are the offense can bog down when teams stack the box and our two RSFR quarterbacks miss our receivers. Furman has very good receivers, that catch and block. A tight end that is more like a WR. Five running backs that can all catch the ball.

Furman can scheme very well - can't wait to see this matchup.

gofurman
November 27th, 2019, 10:11 PM
Merged as requested.

Ursus, thank you

gofurman
November 27th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Mike - this is normally gofurman territory, but I am curious about APSU injuris.

Back to that in a minute....As a Mercer Fan also, I have seen quite a bit of a APSU since 2014 & have ALWAYS been impressed with the talent & knew that a change in Coaching could turn things around there. Healey was PERFECT to infuse the positive energy & excitement needed to create some much-needed inertia in the program & recruiting. And, honestly, I think APSU was fortunate he departed & they were able to bring in an experienced, proven winning HC in Hudspeth. If you add back his vacated wins at ULL (due to a rogue Asst’s activity), he has won 67% of his games & almost always brought his Teams into post-season play. I love the Gov’s diversity on O & their attacking style / aggressive attitude on D. I didn’t see much of Oatsvall, but I have seen quite a bit of Craig. He has really matured nicely, plays within himself, and maximizes (maybe optimizes is more accurate) his talents. I’ve been very high on APSU all year & had them ranked #11 in my final regular season AGS poll.

All that said, I watched some of E.ILL @ APSU last night & noticed RB #5 was still out from the shoulder injury he sustained falling hard on it going in for a score early in the Gov’s win over MurraySt. He trotted off in pain (though he tried not to show that to the Racers - Atta guy!) carrying his arm as if he had a fairly severe separation or broken collar bone. #2, #3, and #4 are all good Players running the ball, but #5 is the real workhorse back there & his absence was quite noticeable early in the EIU game. Is he expected to play this Sat. or no? Also noticed some OL shuffling & determined the starting Center was out. OLmen did not look very comfortable in their ‘shuffled’ roles. Was he out and is he expected back on Sat.?

FUBeAR, nice!

i too noticed RB #5 is our lately... will one of the Austin. P fans reply here? Is RB (#5) playing this week? And is your starting Center out?

to reply in kind .. Furman is out a starting LB and that has hurt a little on run stopping I think as it forces us to,play a pass rusher a little more. Otherwise we are fairly healthy w a few guys out but they have been out a long time as has the LB. We are very deep at CB but a little thin at Safety. LBs are superb .. DL is decent. OL is really good but certainly cannot handle being outnumbered by 2 defenders. And that is what we have seen as has been alluded to here - team would rather take a chance our passing game is off and not let us get our running game going.

We have recently seen more than our share of extra men in the box vs our OL .. daring us to get some completions either on the edge or downfield v one on one coverage. Opposing Teams have started taking their chances w our pass game (bringing a safety up in run support or something) rather than just let us churn five yards per run vs. a six or seven man front.

Mike296
November 27th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Oatsvall is QST but I don’t see that mattering too much. We’ve been decimated by Line injuries but have weathered the storm so far. #5 is also QST and I’m not sure if he’s going to play. Some of our best lineman were back in practice this week according to what I’ve heard. This is going to be a battle of wits and heart on the gridiron.

gofurman
November 27th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Oatsvall is QST but I don’t see that mattering too much. We’ve been decimated by Line injuries but have weathered the storm so far. #5 is also QST and I’m not sure if he’s going to play. Some of our best lineman were back in practice this week according to what I’ve heard. This is going to be a battle of wits and heart on the gridiron.

thanks. I saw that your game notes (though they seem to be for TTU game) list a 4-2-5 with a nickelback instead of a LB ? Is that right? I ask because I saw someone say you all were a 4-3. The game notes indicate a 4-2-5 ? which would you say it is?

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2019, 11:53 PM
I've just gone through the seven conferences who have an at-large bid this year, and to Paladin fan's credit, he has a point.

Though Austin Peay has some phenomenal run defense statistics, the OVC doesn't like to run that much. In fact, the offense of that league, compared to the other 7 is mighty pedestrian.

The average rushing offense from the OVC is ranked 74th nationally and produces 144 yards per game on the ground. Both of those numbers are last among the 7 conferences.

The Socon on the other hand, is the best with a ranking of 41st and producing over 200.

The character of the socon is "run-first" and the defenses, in aggregate are below average. Meanwhile, the OVC looks like a low-scoring, pass-first conference. Very weird.

Mike296
November 28th, 2019, 12:10 AM
thanks. I saw that your game notes (though they seem to be for TTU game) list a 4-2-5 with a nickelback instead of a LB ? Is that right? I ask because I saw someone say you all were a 4-3. The game notes indicate a 4-2-5 ? which would you say it is?

I guess it’s up for interpretation but we’re more a 4-2-5 team if you look at it on paper but in game it looks more like a 4-3/4-4

PaladinFan
November 28th, 2019, 08:49 AM
I've just gone through the seven conferences who have an at-large bid this year, and to Paladin fan's credit, he has a point.

Though Austin Peay has some phenomenal run defense statistics, the OVC doesn't like to run that much. In fact, the offense of that league, compared to the other 7 is mighty pedestrian.

The average rushing offense from the OVC is ranked 74th nationally and produces 144 yards per game on the ground. Both of those numbers are last among the 7 conferences.

The Socon on the other hand, is the best with a ranking of 41st and producing over 200.

The character of the socon is "run-first" and the defenses, in aggregate are below average. Meanwhile, the OVC looks like a low-scoring, pass-first conference. Very weird.

Went back and looked. Furman will be by far the best running game APSU has played this year, and I don't think it is particularly a close question.

AppApp
November 29th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Probably going to be an all out smash mouth type game if predicted weather holds up

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2019, 07:14 AM

AP AGIN:
JVST 52-33
SEMO 28-24
TNTC 58-21
EKY 28-21
UTM 38-24
MURR 42-7
EIU 35-7....................AWK!

ElCid
November 29th, 2019, 07:21 AM
AP AGIN:
JVST 52-33
SEMO 28-24
TNTC 58-21
EKY 28-21
UTM 38-24
MURR 42-7

I think he might have been talking about the ENTIRE conf and not just AP since he was looking at conf stats.

PaladinNation
November 29th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Probably going to be an all out smash mouth type game if predicted weather holds up

It's been a weird season of weather - Furman has played in three downpour games - The Citadel, Western, Point and one game with strong winds - Wofford.

I won't beat the dead horse of whether or not rain played a role in the Citadel performance. Furman did play far better and looked more comfortable against Western. Last weekend against an inferior opponent, a sparse crowd, Furman had IMO a very good performance in the rain.

One thing that the procrastinators aren't talking about in this matchup is the Furman kicking game. Grayson Atkins has kicked very well in the rain (40, 55 at Western), and two more last week a 28, and 45 yarder.

Birchfield is 11-18 on FGM, 7-7 (20-29), 2-6 (30-39), 2-5 (40-49) 0 (50+)
Atkins is 11-12 on FGM, 3-3 (20-29), 1-1 (30-39), 6-7 (40-49), 1-1 (50+)

Stuart 36.51 punt average, long of 57
Atkins 43.33 punt average, long of 69

In a matchup of supposedly equal teams - in a game played in nasty weather - the kicking game is critical for field position and taking advantage of that field position.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2019, 07:48 AM
I think he might have been talking about the ENTIRE conf and not just AP since he was looking at conf stats.

...YEAH...AH KNOW.....LOOKED @ WEEKLY CONFERENCE SCORES....PLENTY UH HIGH ROLLERS.......AWK!

ElCid
November 29th, 2019, 07:54 AM
...YEAH...AH KNOW.....LOOKED @ WEEKLY CONFERENCE SCORES....PLENTY UH HIGH ROLLERS.......AWK!

Yeah I perused them as well. I did have an impression, before I looked, that were even higher. The ones that I remembered anyway. They do seem to be more of a passing conf than running though.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2019, 12:45 PM
AP AGIN:
JVST 52-33
SEMO 28-24
TNTC 58-21
EKY 28-21
UTM 38-24
MURR 42-7

Yeah, I got interested the night before thanksgiving in measuring how the entire subdivision measures up with each other, what style of football like to run. For instance, the Southland doesn't have a single team in the top 100 in pass defense. The reason why isn't because all of the secondaries in the Southland suck, it's because they throw the ball the most out of any conference (and you can measure that by looking at the average position of Southland teams throwing the ball and I think the number is in the 40s, which is top 1/3 or so).

Not to digress from the thread, but there are some interesting patterns. The Socon and MVFC run the ball the most, the Big Sky and Southland pass it the most. The OVC doesn't run it much, but they pass it more than conferences not named the Big Sky and Southland.

Usually, teams that run the ball well play good defense because it changes the dynamics of the game. What makes the OVC different is that they're a better passing league than running league and that trend doesn't necessarily follow.

The takeaway for this game is, yes, AP plays great defense and also Furman will be a different matchup than they're used to. I think the two will combine for less than 50 points or so.

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I got interested the night before thanksgiving in measuring how the entire subdivision measures up with each other, what style of football like to run. For instance, the Southland doesn't have a single team in the top 100 in pass defense. The reason why isn't because all of the secondaries in the Southland suck, it's because they throw the ball the most out of any conference (and you can measure that by looking at the average position of Southland teams throwing the ball and I think the number is in the 40s, which is top 1/3 or so).

Not to digress from the thread, but there are some interesting patterns. The Socon and MVFC run the ball the most, the Big Sky and Southland pass it the most. The OVC doesn't run it much, but they pass it more than conferences not named the Big Sky and Southland.

Usually, teams that run the ball well play good defense because it changes the dynamics of the game. What makes the OVC different is that they're a better passing league than running league and that trend doesn't necessarily follow.

The takeaway for this game is, yes, AP plays great defense and also Furman will be a different matchup than they're used to. I think the two will combine for less than 50 points or so.

I can imagine that preparing for Furman's offense on a week's notice won't be that simple a task. Furman has at least seen APSU on film a few times as the Govs played both Mercer and ETSU the week before playing Furman.

Even then, it doesn't really matter. APSU is going to try and do what everyone else tries to do against Furman.

gofurman
November 30th, 2019, 12:46 AM

Furman has not played well in rain this year. . At. All. Which is a little odd as PaladinFan says we are a decent run team so why should rain hurt us? But we have shown an inability to complete passes in rain. And then teams stack box and offense bogs down ... show me a game we go 11-17 passing and I’ll show you a game Furman won.

not an excuse though. If we can’t play football in freakin rain then we need to learn how to - it’s FOOTBALL. This ain’t baseball. It’s supposed to be played in rain and snow and stuff. Also no excuse we have now played and practiced in rain several weeks

I think those issues (can’t run against stacked box) come a little from our OL being good and string but not quite “blow you off the ball” strong yet. We still need a little deception and balance

WCU-Cats!
November 30th, 2019, 02:35 AM
Go SoCon!

PaladinNation
November 30th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Furman has not played well in rain this year. . At. All. Which is a little odd as PaladinFan says we are a decent run team so why should rain hurt us? But we have shown an inability to complete passes in rain. And then teams stack box and offense bogs down ... show me a game we go 11-17 passing and I’ll show you a game Furman won.

not an excuse though. If we can’t play football in freakin rain then we need to learn how to - it’s FOOTBALL. This ain’t baseball. It’s supposed to be played in rain and snow and stuff. Also no excuse we have now played and practiced in rain several weeks

I think those issues (can’t run against stacked box) come a little from our OL being good and string but not quite “blow you off the ball” strong yet. We still need a little deception and balance

I disagree Furman has not played well in the rain at ALL. Furman played Western at homecoming with Tyrie back under center - and IMO had one of the best drives of the year to end the first half and get points. Furman then dominated the second half. Against Point terrible game conditions, 3,000 in attendance Furman played focused and IMO very well.

I see nothing wrong with this pass from DG…
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1198306782189367299

PaladinFan
November 30th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Furman didn't play well against the Citadel in bad weather. They've played better since then in inclement weather.

The good news is that Furman is now used to playing in crappy conditions. Playing in weather takes some getting used to.

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Looks like a weather delay.

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Weather delay. I thought this was likely. Lots of thunderstorms right now in middle Tennessee.

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Weather delay. I thought this was likely. Lots of thunderstorms right now in middle Tennessee.
Boooo/hiss

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 12:38 PM
AP with an INT right away.

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Wow, Furman tried to force it and threw the pick on first possession.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Overturned INT...

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Wow, overturned. It looked like it might have hit the ground. 3 and out in any event.

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 12:55 PM
TD Peay!!!

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Kind of funny. They keep saying Furman is a triple option team.

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Another 30 minute weather delay.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Another 30 minute weather delay.

it's been like an hour....

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2019, 02:30 PM
FU Board says game to resume @ 3 CT / 4 ET

ElCid
November 30th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Looking at the radar, the last cell is still passing. Maybe another 45-60 minutes.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Hopefully APSU has lights at their field.

Mike296
November 30th, 2019, 03:24 PM
ESPN has the game as being at Halftime on their game cast. I unfortunately can’t watch the game as I don’t have ESPN 3! Ugh.....

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 03:39 PM
TD!!! 14-3 APSU!!!

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 03:50 PM
TD Peay! 21-3

centennial
November 30th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Furman sucks??

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 03:52 PM
TD Peay! 21-3

Hopefully they can keep it going. I am loving it so far!

LetsGoPeay
November 30th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Had to leave the game at halftime. Now I wish I didn't. Looks like Furman is having major trouble with our speed guys. That middle screen to Kentel Williams was a thing of beauty.
Now Furman is in a situation in which they may have to resort to the pass, which is just where APSU wants them. Get it done guys. Go for the KO RIGHT NOW!!

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Fumble!!!!!! APSU recovered and scores a TD 2 plays later. 27-3 XP pending.

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Wow!

LetsGoPeay
November 30th, 2019, 03:57 PM
And just as I say this, the Govs RIP the ball out of the QB's hands and get the ball back.

A shovel pass that gets us to the 2 yard line.

Then a quick handoff

28 - 3 GOVERNORS!!

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Where is CitDog to revel in this?? Furman looking sucky

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Furman just muffed a fair catch. APSU will start at the 27yd line of Furman.

LetsGoPeay
Furman in complete collapse mode now. Muffed a punt. APSU recovers.

Bear84
Furman definitely sucking now.

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:12 PM
34-3 XP pending! Austin Peay rolling!!!

Bear84
November 30th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Peay is really pouring it on now. Just had to say that.:D

LetsGoPeay
November 30th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Furman simply isn't as physical as Austin Peay . . . nor as fast. Once Austin Peay figured out how to get the ball to their playmakers out in space, this game was over.

35 - 3 Governors. If only the undergrads were here to enjoy all of this. Too bad it rained all day today. That stadium would've been packed.

I need to watch some video of Sacramento State, to see what we're going to be up against next week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:16 PM
In a 24 team playoff you field fillers. Furman, SELA, Holy Cross etc serve that purpose....

Mike296
November 30th, 2019, 04:16 PM
See you next week Sac St. We’re coming for you.

WrenFGun
November 30th, 2019, 04:17 PM
Imagine not beating a single good team all season and then getting smashed by a good team? Stunner. SIU also died for this.

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Furman getting freaking boatraced, wow

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Austin Peay just bailed them out with a taunting penalty. 35-3 at the end of the 3rd.

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
LUL

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 30th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Furman getting freaking boatraced, wow

Poor showing by Furman for sure.

ejjones
November 30th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Furman is exactly who we thought they were = overrated. No surprise here; they beat no one of significance all year. Those FBS “close” loses got way too much credit.

WrenFGun
November 30th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Will voters learn next year? No. They won't.

centennial
November 30th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Imagine not beating a single good team all season and then getting smashed by a good team? Stunner. SIU also died for this.

Not a great difference (I don't think D2 SOS is added to Sagarin). SIU however was really solid at the end of the year.

Furman SOS- 42.83( 190)
SIU SOS- 50.16( 150)

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Another TD by Austin Peay!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:39 PM
The Govs rolling! I had AP as a possible seed team. They were good all year.

Mike296
November 30th, 2019, 04:41 PM

That dud against TSU aside

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:42 PM
That dud against TSU aside

Everyone not named JMU or NDSU had an ugly game. Generally speaking AP was good....

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:42 PM

They probably would have gotten a seed if they hadn't lost to Tennessee State. That loss was too much to overcome. APSU would have won if their kicker could have made a field goal, but he missed 2 separate attempts late.

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Now AP gets an interception. Honestly thought Furman was probably going to win but went ahead and picked APSU because I am an OVC fan. That was a very good choice on my part.

katss07
November 30th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Southern Illinois died for this? Furman should’ve been left home like last year.

UpstateBison
November 30th, 2019, 04:48 PM

This is crazy. They lost to ETSU. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvfcfan
November 30th, 2019, 04:49 PM
Hopefully they can keep Hudspeth. Sounds like they have quite a bit returning next season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2019, 04:50 PM

I think the head-2-head loss to UCA was more damning. Either way, good team. Definitely see why they won 9 games playing an all D1 schedule.

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Southern Illinois died for this? Furman should’ve been left home like last year.

Considering SIU got completely dumped on by SEMO not sure SIU would have been any better than Furman.

And quite frankly just watching Furman get stomped has made my day.

LetsGoPeay
November 30th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Austin Peay is a prime example of how great recruiting and good facilities can quickly turn things around for a program.

Will Healy made sure to secure as much in-state and Kentucky talent as possible. Whatever UT, Vandy, and MTSU doesn't gobble up, Will made sure he got the rest of those kids. The renovated stadium and workout facilities definitely helped as well.
He basically got lucky to secure Craig as the QB. But the crown jewel was bringing in Oatsvall, who had just won a state title in High School as a dual threat QB. So very quickly, he had two QBs who could run the show, plus talented RBs that have always been in the program, even when they were the worst program in the nation.

The difference you see today, is that APSU is now able to recruit on both sides of the ball. And they're getting kids from all over the Southeast.

Shout out to Jacksonville State, for forcing the rest of the OVC to get up to your level. Despite SEMO's performance today, the OVC is a conference on the rise. Austin Peay should be at or near the top of the conference for at least the next few years. And you have to believe that Jacksonville State will be back to their normal selves next season. Add SEMO, UT Martin, and and Eastern Kentucky ( a former OVC powerhouse ) to the mix, the OVC may rise to a top 4 conference in FCS ).

What a great win for the school, and for the city. Congratulations to all of those kids out on the field. We are all proud of you.

Mike296
November 30th, 2019, 04:53 PM
Considering we stomped you guys and you Guys kept losing in the playoffs after your NCG run it’s our time to shine.

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2019, 05:31 PM
And you have to believe that Jacksonville State will be back to their normal selves next season.

LOL.

No.

Bisonator
November 30th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Congrats to the Governors!

See you next year FUGameloser!:D

knit35
November 30th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Congrats Peay!

gofurman
November 30th, 2019, 06:08 PM

Right. BODY OF WORK. Austin Peay lost to THE WORST SoCon team. THE WORST. How? I don't know.

As I said elsewhere congrats to Austin Peay ! I mean that. but it's just one game... They lost to ETSU who is the worst SoCon team out there. Furman beat ETSU. Austin Peay beat Mercer 48-34. Furman beat Mercer 45-10 and started kneeling in fourth quarter to keep score from getting more out of hand. Furman had an odd year where we started great with all wins vs FCS and pushed two good FBS teams - we lost 24-17 to FBS Virginia Tech who is going bowling and almost won the ACC Coastal Division yesterday. How do we stay within 7 of VTech and lose by 30+ to Austin Peay.. LOL, just weird.

Furman was a tale of two teams.. started strong and then Citadel etc showed a blueprint to beat us. Good thing is we are freshman Center, freshman RB, freshman QBs etc.

But congrats to APeay !!!!!!!! Good luck the rest of the way

UpstateBison
November 30th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Right. BODY OF WORK. Austin Peay lost to THE WORST SoCon team. THE WORST. How? I don't know.

As I said elsewhere congrats to Austin Peay ! I mean that. but it's just one game... They lost to ETSU who is the worst SoCon team out there. Furman beat ETSU. Austin Peay beat Mercer 48-34. Furman beat Mercer 45-10 and started kneeling in fourth quarter to keep score from getting more out of hand. Furman had an odd year where we started great with all wins vs FCS and pushed two good FBS teams - we lost 24-17 to FBS Virginia Tech who is going bowling and almost won the ACC Coastal Division yesterday. How do we stay within 7 of VTech and lose by 30+ to Austin Peay.. LOL, just weird.

Furman was a tale of two teams.. started strong and then Citadel etc showed a blueprint to beat us. Good thing is we are freshman Center, freshman RB, freshman QBs etc.

But congrats to APeay !!!!!!!! Good luck the rest of the way

The SoCon need to be better and more consistent. FU loses to the OVC AQ and the SoCon AQ loses to the second best Big South team. The SoCon is not very good and needs to get better. Just because GSU and AppSt were good 8 years ago does not mean you are a a good conference. We

Mike296
November 30th, 2019, 06:18 PM
I’m looking forward to the sac st game. I’m hoping for an upset but I doubt it’ll happen.

Mocs123
November 30th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Didn't see that coming.....Congrats to Peay for winning their first playoff game. I knew Healey could recruit and I think Hudspeth(sp) is a good coach, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, but I am.

SU DOG
November 30th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Didn't see that coming.....Congrats to Peay for winning their first playoff game. I knew Healey could recruit and I think Hudspeth(sp) is a good coach, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, but I am.

Yep I agree. APSU has made 2 good hires in a row. I believe that Mark Hudspeth was at North Alabama 7 years and made the D2 Playoffs 5 times.

Puddin Tane
November 30th, 2019, 08:29 PM
Yep I agree. APSU has made 2 good hires in a row. I believe that Mark Hudspeth was at North Alabama 7 years and made the D2 Playoffs 5 times.

got run outta UL. Gotta keep an eye on him, not exactly a rule follower