PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel 2019-2020

bonarae
November 24th, 2019, 06:01 AM
One-stop coaching carousel for FCS HCs and assistants.

First post-regular season firing is confirmed: Murray State reassigns football HC Mitch Stewart to another position in the athletic department. No further comments until the national search is concluded. No FootballScoop link yet, even, article only from STATS (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191123224748492407908&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS).

fmftballmgr
November 24th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Doing my happy dance. He ended with a 35% winning percentage. Let’s see where the new AD goes with it.
Murray had 5 games decided by one possession in the ovc this year and went 1-4 in those games

bonarae
November 24th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Carroll McCray out at Gardner-Webb. HC for 12 years at 3 different schools but ONLY one winning season at any of those schools, in 2013.

Also, Earnest Collins III out at UNC.

One-stop link below:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191124165359105574004&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

tierre
November 24th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Carroll McCray out at Gardner-Webb. HC for 12 years at 3 different schools but ONLY one winning season at any of those schools, in 2013.

Also, Earnest Collins III out at UNC.

One-stop link below:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20191124165359105574004&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

I am surprised he lasted that long. He been at North Colorado since he left Alcorn in 2010. He is a good coach though.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2019, 07:49 PM
Mercer and Bobby Lamb part ways.

walliver
November 25th, 2019, 08:12 AM
Mercer and Bobby Lamb part ways.

Not a big surprise.

I wonder if he would have lasted longer had he not had such a great inaugural year creating great expectations.

Still, Mercer is one of only two current teams without a SoCon championship. They at least have a better excuse than WCU.

Nor Eastern
November 25th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Mercer was lucky to have Lamb to build their program. Wouldn't have found anyone better to do it.

Lamb probably moves into a coordinator position or HC in an "easier" conference. I wouldn't be too shocked with him getting looks from Gardner Webb.

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Mercer was lucky to have Lamb to build their program. Wouldn't have found anyone better to do it.

Lamb probably moves into a coordinator position or HC in an "easier" conference. I wouldn't be too shocked with him getting looks from Gardner Webb.

It was a good get for Mercer early on. Veteran FCS coach with success at a school like Mercer being available when they needed one was a stroke of luck.

Lamb has a lot of connections in Georgia high school football. That route wouldn't surprise me. A smaller program like Gardner Webb wouldn't surprise me. I also don't know whether there would ever be a return to Furman, which he has a long history with and close relationships to the current coaching staff.

walliver
November 25th, 2019, 10:50 AM
I wonder if BL would be willing to coach a low-resource program like Gardner Webb. If he did go that route, he would probably have a job for life if he wanted.

He would actually be a great recruiting coordinator for one of the GSU's.

kdinva
November 25th, 2019, 01:40 PM
EKU letting go Coach Elder? xconfusedx

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-eastern-kentucky-fcs-is-making-a-head-coaching-change/

bonarae
November 25th, 2019, 04:55 PM

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-eastern-kentucky-fcs-is-making-a-head-coaching-change/

Confirmed by STATS.

Wildcat1997
November 25th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Mike Schultz out at Lamar. To go from making the playoffs to getting canned in a year's time. That's crazy.

McCowboys
November 25th, 2019, 05:27 PM
https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Mike-Schultz-fired-as-Lamar-University-football-14862095.php Lamar will not renew Schultz's contract.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2019, 06:00 PM
What have you done for me lately? and by lately I mean this past season!!!!

Daytripper
November 25th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Mike Schultz out at Lamar. To go from making the playoffs to getting canned in a year's time. That's crazy.

Has to be something besides just the W-L record. Maybe academic problems? Maybe legal problems?

Schism55
November 25th, 2019, 07:58 PM
https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1199138591294808064

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2019, 12:57 AM

Fun fact:

HE JUST BEAT US.

Derby City Duke
November 26th, 2019, 07:28 AM
Confirmed by STATS.

A little bit of a headscratcher. Elder's 4-year tenure @ EKU:

3 - 8
4 - 7
7 - 4
7 - 5

21-24 overall, but had EKU on an upward trajectory. Two of the losses this year were 1-score games against SEMO and APSU (OT). Not sure what else might have been going on over in Richmond.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2019, 07:43 AM
A little bit of a headscratcher. Elder's 4-year tenure @ EKU:

3 - 8
4 - 7
7 - 4
7 - 5

21-24 overall, but had EKU on an upward trajectory. Two of the losses this year were 1-score games against SEMO and APSU (OT). Not sure what else might have been going on over in Richmond.

From skimming the EKU message board, it sounds like it was a combination of the AD leaving (forced out?) in October and EKU fans/boosters still living in the glory days of the 1980s.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2019, 07:49 AM
From skimming the EKU message board, it sounds like it was a combination of the AD leaving (forced out?) in October and EKU fans/boosters still living in the glory days of the 1980s.

Sometimes the absence of an athletic director leads a school to kick the can. Kevin Kelly was 5-38 in four years at Georgetown (1-23 in the Patriot) but the AD position was vacant and they waited for the new AD to make a decision. By that time, the next season Kelly went 8-3 and kept his job.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Tim Walsh is retiring from Cal Poly. https://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article237772394.html

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Rumor mill: Bobby Lamb to Gardner Webb? that would be a great hire IMO

PaladinFan
November 26th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Seems like an obvious choice for GWU.

That would be pretty unique if he ends up with another FCS head gig. Not often a guy would get turned loose from two head coaching gigs and then immediately pick up a third without a gap in between.

Mocs123
November 26th, 2019, 01:24 PM
GWU would probably do well with Lamb. He can recruit well and will be competitive.

Puddin Tane
November 26th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Has to be something besides just the W-L record. Maybe academic problems? Maybe legal problems?

unapproachable, egotistical , stubborn turd

Team celebrated when told (not by Schultz, think he just left). Stories are coming out about how bad things were.

I think “Fired Schultz Day” should be a yearly holiday.

walliver
November 26th, 2019, 03:59 PM

I suspect expectations are much lower at Gardner Webb. He should be able to make them competitive in the Big South.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2019, 09:37 PM
unapproachable, egotistical , stubborn turd

Team celebrated when told (not by Schultz, think he just left). Stories are coming out about how bad things were.

I think “Fired Schultz Day” should be a yearly holiday.

Amazing. Wasn't that his first head coaching gig?

katss07
November 27th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Beaumont Enterprise put out a story potentially linking Art Briles to the Lamar job. Lamar fan(s), can y’all confirm if there have been discussions or not?

Sounds like the program is in a bad place, just a year after their first playoff appearance.

Puddin Tane
November 27th, 2019, 09:23 PM
I’m thinking the Briles crap is just Facebook gossip, he said she said stuff. Dude is damaged goods, would split the fans...can’t see any good in it. I don’t want him, no one I know wants him.

yes, Schultz first HC job. Should be his last.

Good riddance.

Puddin Tane
November 27th, 2019, 09:27 PM
I don’t really see the program in a bad place ( if you don’t count last place as a bad place!)

Keeping him another year coulda been a program killer. We just need a good hire, we’ll be ok.

Daytripper
November 27th, 2019, 09:30 PM
I don’t really see the program in a bad place ( if you don’t count last place as a bad place!)

Keeping him another year coulda been a program killer. We just need a good hire, we’ll be ok.

Based on last year, the talent is there. Just need to put it all together.

NOLA
November 28th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Beaumont Enterprise put out a story potentially linking Art Briles to the Lamar job. Lamar fan(s), can y’all confirm if there have been discussions or not?

Sounds like the program is in a bad place, just a year after their first playoff appearance.

Can’t imagine too many coaches fired a year after a playoff appearance. Crazy.

Catamount87
December 2nd, 2019, 08:51 AM
WCU made staffing changes yesterday. We announced that defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach John Wiley, co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Tyler Carlton, and outside linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator Mark Rhea would not be retained. Honestly, a lot of Catamounts wanted to see a change with special teams as well.

EKU05
December 2nd, 2019, 10:42 AM

I was on the fence about Elder myself, and what you post does show an upward trajectory, but I don't think it's the complete picture for a few reasons:

1. It doesn't give context for what he inherited. He was brought in to replace Dean Hood, who never went more than a game under .500, typically won 6-8 games, and had shares of at least 3 conference title in 9 years. It got a whole lot worse before it got back to a place that was similar to his direct predecessor. Calling that progress is kind of true, but complicated at best.

2. What those on the outside looking in may not realize is the renewed resources going into football right now at EKU. He was given improvements, and a budget that Hood and Danny Hope before him could not have even dreamed up. His salary was also roughly double what they were getting paid. We're outspending basically everyone in the OVC (save for maybe JSU...I'm not sure), and yet we can't keep up with Austin Peay, SEMO, and Martin...all of whom were way behind us when he took over.

3. The contract situation almost had to play into this. His initial four-year deal was up. I think a lot of people would have given him another year or two in theory, but a short-term extension like that looks weak on the recruiting trail and kind of ties his hands a little bit. It was a case of bad timing to some degree.

Mark Elder is a solid coach and and even better person as far as I can tell. I'm not thrilled by the decision, but I can also understand it given the circumstances. I definitely wish him and his family nothing but the best, and hopefully one day he can think back fondly on at least some of his time at EKU. I know I will.

uofmman1122
December 2nd, 2019, 11:09 AM
Bob Stitt is out at Texas State, and I could totally see him moving to Northern Colorado.

cx500d
December 3rd, 2019, 08:36 PM
Bob Stitt is out at Texas State, and I could totally see him moving to Northern Colorado.

Stitt happens

Derby City Duke
December 4th, 2019, 09:31 AM

are you sure this is texas state?

Edit: didn't realize he was the TxState OC; was assuming he was a HC. xembarrassedx

fmftballmgr
December 4th, 2019, 10:22 AM
3. The contract situation almost had to play into this. His initial four-year deal was up. I think a lot of people would have given him another year or two in theory, but a short-term extension like that looks weak on the recruiting trail and kind of ties his hands a little bit. It was a case of bad timing to some degree.

Murray was in the situation last year where Stewart's contract was up but we did not have a full time AD or President. So they resigned him for three years. I don't know the details of the buyout cause I have heard everything across the board from only the first year was guaranteed to a descent chunk of change. Either way for us to compete with he rest of the OVC we have to find a way to increase our spending on coaches. This hire will be a major telling of how the new ad wants to go. He speaks all the right things. lets see how his actions are

From what I have seen he is taking resumes / applications till Friday. Hopefully we start hearing some name on who they are looking at. But I have also heard he has his guy and the application process is just a formality

Derby City Duke
December 4th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I was on the fence about Elder myself, and what you post does show an upward trajectory, but I don't think it's the complete picture for a few reasons:

1. It doesn't give context for what he inherited. He was brought in to replace Dean Hood, who never went more than a game under .500, typically won 6-8 games, and had shares of at least 3 conference title in 9 years. It got a whole lot worse before it got back to a place that was similar to his direct predecessor. Calling that progress is kind of true, but complicated at best.

2. What those on the outside looking in may not realize is the renewed resources going into football right now at EKU. He was given improvements, and a budget that Hood and Danny Hope before him could not have even dreamed up. His salary was also roughly double what they were getting paid. We're outspending basically everyone in the OVC (save for maybe JSU...I'm not sure), and yet we can't keep up with Austin Peay, SEMO, and Martin...all of whom were way behind us when he took over.

Mark Elder is a solid coach and and even better person as far as I can tell. I'm not thrilled by the decision, but I can also understand it given the circumstances. I definitely wish him and his family nothing but the best, and hopefully one day he can think back fondly on at least some of his time at EKU. I know I will.

Thanks for adding some perspective. xthumbsupx

bonarae
December 7th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Meanwhile...

Wagner says goodbye to Jason Houghtaling.

And Ron Prince has formally said his goodbye to Howard U.

bonarae
December 7th, 2019, 03:44 AM
More Houghtaling:

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/11/verbal-abuse-or-sports-culture-wagner-college-investigating-football-head-coach.html

https://www.silive.com/colleges/2019/12/wagner-college-relieves-head-football-coach-of-his-duties-after-5-seasons.html

Seahawks Fan
December 7th, 2019, 10:15 AM
I'm not surprised that Wagner made a change. The team was not winning under Houghtaling, and mid-season publicity about the coach supposedly being verbally abusive didn't help. If Tom Masella is the new coach, as the Staten Island Advance is reporting, that is a good replacement. Wagner needs to get back on track after several dismal seasons.

Daytripper
December 8th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Four current FBS job openings that might involve pulling an FCS coach are Old Dominion, UTSA, UNLV, and New Mexico. Wonder which successful FCS coaches might draw interest?

Daytripper
December 8th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Four current FBS job openings that might involve pulling an FCS coach are Old Dominion, UTSA, UNLV, and New Mexico. Wonder which successful FCS coaches might draw interest?

Personally, I think UTSA may look in their own backyard and hire Eric Morris at Incarnate Word.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2019, 10:59 AM

Keeping regional preferences in mind when applicable:

UNLV: Jay Hill (Weber St), Jeff Choate (MtSt), Troy Taylor (Sac St)
ODU: Mark Hudspeth (APSU), Nick Hill (SIU)
UTSA: Eric Morris (Incarnate Word), Tim Rebow (NSU)
New Mexico: Josh Conklin (Wofford), Brian Bohannon (KSU)

Daytripper
December 8th, 2019, 11:05 AM

Good list. I just wonder how many FBS teams would embrace the TO.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Good list. I just wonder how many FBS teams would embrace the TO.

I tried to go off of regionalized candidates first and and then the schemes they uses second. With New Mexico using the Flexbone Option, I figured I'd give them coaches who use that option and go from there. I'd say Bohannon is the most likely candidate to leave for a "TO" styled attack with his success at KSU and if he can win at New Mexico, he will land a job at Georgia Tech, Georgia Southern, etc... which I am guessing he'd like to be at in the near future and going to the middle of nowhere and making them a bowl team again would immediately put him in line for success.

bonarae
December 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Meanwhile...

EKU gets former FBS and EKU assistant Walt Wells.

Cal Poly gets former Cal Berkeley OC Beau Baldwin.

Wagner hires Tom Masella.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2019, 05:48 PM
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-mercer-negotiating-with-lenoir-rhyne-head-coach-drew-cronic/

Sources: Mercer negotiating with Lenoir-Rhyne head coach Drew Cronic

Mercer is negotiating with Lenoir-Rhyne head coach Drew Cronic to become their new head coach, sources told FootballScoop on Monday. A deal could be reached as early as tomorrow sources tell FootballScoop.

Cronic is currently the head coach at Lenoir-Rhyne, a Division II school in Hickory, N.C. He led the Bears to a 13-1 record with a South Atlantic Conference championship and an appearance in the Division II regional finals.

VandalBasher
December 9th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Beau Baldwin expected to be Cal Poly head coachhttps://footballscoop.com/news/sources-beau-baldwin-expected-to-be-cal-poly-head-coach/

gofurman
December 10th, 2019, 04:44 AM
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-mercer-negotiating-with-lenoir-rhyne-head-coach-drew-cronic/

Sources: Mercer negotiating with Lenoir-Rhyne head coach Drew Cronic

Mercer is negotiating with Lenoir-Rhyne head coach Drew Cronic to become their new head coach, sources told FootballScoop on Monday. A deal could be reached as early as tomorrow sources tell FootballScoop.

Cronic is currently the head coach at Lenoir-Rhyne, a Division II school in Hickory, N.C. He led the Bears to a 13-1 record with a South Atlantic Conference championship and an appearance in the Division II regional finals.

Drew Cronic is AMAZING. He was at Furman for one year and our offense was shockingly good for what he had to work with (2017).. we honestly haven't been as good at strategizing on offense since. That hire will help the SoCon but scares me as a Furman fan. We all suspected he left Furman as OC to be a D2 HC so he could prove he was HC material. And. He.. Did. Mercer just got a lot better - at least on one side of the ball. With the QBs they have at Mercer they are gonna put up some points soon. They still need to get their defense 'corrected

PaladinFan
December 10th, 2019, 05:13 AM
Drew Cronic is AMAZING. He was at Furman for one year and our offense was shockingly good for what he had to work with (2017).. we honestly haven't been as good at strategizing on offense since. That hire will help the SoCon but scares me as a Furman fan. We all suspected he left Furman as OC to be a D2 HC so he could prove he was HC material. And. He.. Did. Mercer just got a lot better - at least on one side of the ball. With the QBs they have at Mercer they are gonna put up some points soon. They still need to get their defense 'corrected

Starting a slew of freshmen, Furman averaged more points per game in 2019 than they did in 2017 (when Cronic had the benefit of inheriting a very good senior QB).

FUBeAR
December 10th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Starting a slew of freshmen, Furman averaged more points per game in 2019 than they did in 2017 (when Cronic had the benefit of inheriting a very good senior QB).
LOL - How did Furman do against Point in 2017?

PaladinFan
December 10th, 2019, 07:54 AM
LOL - How did Furman do against Point in 2017?

Even if you remove Point, Furman still averaged over 31 ppg (30.9). The 2017 team also didn't play two FBS games, which the 2019 team did.

Cronic's a good coach. I do reject the notion, though, that some Furman fans espouse suggesting that the Paladin offense has been sort of wandering in the wilderness since Cronic left. That's just not true.

Reign of Terrier
December 10th, 2019, 03:19 PM

I am strongly confident that Josh Conklin is not under consideration for New Mexico. It's an unsexy hire and he's pretty happy/well-connected in Spartanburg.

And, objectively, he's not done anything special at Wofford quite yet. Keep in mind, he has already been a power five DC. He would need a more sexy offer than New Mexico.

Silenoz
December 10th, 2019, 04:08 PM
My coach wont' leave because he likes it here and his kids are in school - everyone ever

fmftballmgr
December 10th, 2019, 04:18 PM
There are reports coming out that Murray State new coach will be Dean Hood. He was head coach at one time of EKU. Nothing be formally announced yet

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2019, 05:15 PM
My coach wont' leave because he likes it here and his kids are in school - everyone ever

My coach won't leave because he likes it here. Also because he has no other HC experience and hasn't shown anything to be impressed about at this point.

But I think he also likes it here.

Mocs123
December 10th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Cronic would be a great hire for Mercer.

kalm
December 10th, 2019, 08:54 PM

And he’s about to sign the best recruiting class in school history...again.

bonarae
December 10th, 2019, 09:12 PM
I'm just not sure why Harvard's coach refuses to retire just yet and declines poaching offers.

Daytripper
December 11th, 2019, 06:41 AM
I'm just not sure why Harvard's coach refuses to retire just yet and declines poaching offers.

Because it's a sweet gig. A place where football is popular but not a priority. He doesn't have the pressure of winning in the playoffs. There's something to be said for just appreciating what you have and enjoying the ride.

DFW HOYA
December 11th, 2019, 07:48 AM

Tim Murphy is the winningest coach in Harvard football history and his nine ivy League titles are one short of the all-time mark set by Carm Cozza. 2019 was his first losing seasodn in 21 years, so it's not exactly a trend and at 63, he's certainly not at the end of the line. His 206 wins puts him 6th on active Division I coaches by career wins, trailing Al Bagnoli (who also coached in Div. III), Mack Brown, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, and K.C. Keeler. Unlike other sports at Harvard, football continues to attract some of the very best Ivy-eligible candidates in the nation. There are six active players in the NFL from Harvard and 19 players were current or invited players in NFL training camps in 2019.

As for other offers, he was the head coach at Cincinnati for five years (1988 through 1993) and knows the grass is not always greener on the I-A side of town.

fmftballmgr
December 11th, 2019, 09:48 AM

So why was Hood let go since he looks to be our new coach

Derby City Duke
December 11th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Ricky Rahne will move from the Penn State staff to ODU so no poaching from the FCS.

McNeese75
December 11th, 2019, 09:58 AM
McNeese first year OC Matt Maddox has been poached by UTSA.

EKU05
December 11th, 2019, 10:57 AM
"So why was Hood let go since he looks to be our new coach"

I think things had just stagnated a bit. Hood wasn't bad. He just wasn't great on the level that EKU expects. Those expectations might even be unreasonable, but they exist. I think Dean Hood is a good coach, but after 9 seasons you got the feeling that under his watch you'd never be terrible, but you also weren't ever going to get beyond simply appearing in the playoffs from time to time. I think he's a good hire for Murray, and I think he'll do well there.

One criticism of Hood was his recruiting targets. My understanding is he a had a policy of never pursuing kids that had any FBS offers because he felt it was a waste of resources. Danny Hope before him and Mark Elder after him would sometimes pursue kids with lower-tier FBS offers, and they would win at least some of those battles.

He's a good football coach, and an even better person. However, he inherited a program that had just ripped through the OVC undefeated and looked as though it was really on the way back. The next year Hood went 7-1 and won the OVC title with Danny Hope's players. That title came by way of a blocked UT-Martin field goal on the literal final play of the regular season that would have cost us a playoff birth. But over the next 8 years Hood won only one more co-championship, and made one additional playoff appearance. He didn't advance in any of his three playoff appearances.

Hood also took over an EKU program that had the longest active string of winning seasons in all of Division I. It ended on his watch. I think he had two loosing seasons, but if memory serves both were a single game under .500.

FWIW, There were probably at least some in the EKU fold that would have welcomed him back this time around.

fmftballmgr
December 11th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Ok thanks

At first I was like oh yea an OVC retread. But the more I read I am coming around.

Well he is taking over an program who last winning season was 2011, so the expectations are a little less.

Daytripper
December 11th, 2019, 12:28 PM
McNeese first year OC Matt Maddox has been poached by UTSA.
I guess Traylor is a fan of his.

Libertine
December 11th, 2019, 12:55 PM
So why was Hood let go since he looks to be our new coach

EKU also had a brand new AD as well as an almost brand new president at the time. That could well have entered into it.

EKU05
December 11th, 2019, 04:46 PM
EKU also had a brand new AD as well as an almost brand new president at the time. That could well have entered into it.

Yes, that's true as well. There was a perception that they wanted to bring in their own guy. Interestingly, that AD resigned just a couple of months ago, and that president announced literally today that he's stepping down in January.

bonarae
December 11th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Aztecs QB coach Blane Morgan will become new Lamar HC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-to-hire-fbs-assistant-as-head-coach/

McNeese75
December 11th, 2019, 08:25 PM
I guess Traylor is a fan of his.

They have a lot of history. DB coach is going as well now.

Reign of Terrier
December 12th, 2019, 07:27 AM

I doubt my coach leaves for a G5 coaching position when he's half way across the country and hasn't made the FCS quarterfinals.

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2019, 10:45 AM
I doubt my coach leaves for a G5 coaching position when he's half way across the country and hasn't made the FCS quarterfinals.
Will Healy (APSU to UNCC) never even made the Playoffs. Tom Arth (UTC to Akron) had a losing overall record, with a best record of 6-5 as an FCS HC.

Outsider1
December 12th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Aztecs QB coach Blane Morgan will become new Lamar HC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-to-hire-fbs-assistant-as-head-coach/

Looks like a good hire and he does have Texas ties.

Mocs123
December 12th, 2019, 02:33 PM
And I hope Akron AD Larry Williams enjoys the fruit basket and thank you note I sent him for hiring Arth. I also hope he enjoyed the dumpster fire 0-12 season they had.

Schism55
December 12th, 2019, 04:10 PM
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/1205244170006355968
Easy Ed coming thru!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2019, 04:40 PM
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/1205244170006355968
Easy Ed coming thru!

Wow! That could be a really big hire for UNC! The Bears have struggled since their transition to 1-AA/FCS. I have to think there's room for a legitimately good D1 football program in Colorado. Both CSU and Colorado have been middling to straight up bad the last 5-10 years...

I got to see Ed play in high school (PA football power Allentown Central Catholic) when I was a young kid.

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2019, 01:43 PM
https://twitter.com/gwufootball/status/1205925685543473155

TTUEagles
December 14th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Great hire for Gardner Webb! Tough to see as TTU just had a HUGE loss...

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 15th, 2019, 09:52 AM

So what are your thoughts on Walt Wells, the new EKU coach?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 15th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Wow! That could be a really big hire for UNC! The Bears have struggled since their transition to 1-AA/FCS. I have to think there's room for a legitimately good D1 football program in Colorado. Both CSU and Colorado have been middling to straight up bad the last 5-10 years...

I got to see Ed play in high school (PA football power Allentown Central Catholic) when I was a young kid.

It was confirmed via his Instagram. When you look at his resume, I would definitely have to say this was the best FCS hire ever, better than Randy Sanders and Erk Russell, both of whom have very impressive coaching pedigrees. It's not everyday when you have a college head coaching candidate with a trio of Super Bowl rings to his name fall in your lap. He's the real deal and I expect him to have Northern Colorado to compete for Big Sky/National titles in no time.

BearDownMU
December 15th, 2019, 11:52 AM
It was confirmed via his Instagram. When you look at his resume, I would definitely have to say this was the best FCS hire ever, better than Randy Sanders and Erk Russell, both of whom have very impressive coaching pedigrees. It's not everyday when you have a college head coaching candidate with a trio of Super Bowl rings to his name fall in your lap. He's the real deal and I expect him to have Northern Colorado to compete for Big Sky/National titles in no time.

Wait. Why? I don't understand this logic at all. Coaching well and playing well aren't at all the same things. I've seen this take all over the place. I think he certainly has an impressive frame of reference as a player, but can he teach it? Can he be the CEO of a football program? We have no idea.

I would say the opposite. On paper, he's a pretty big gamble. Sure, he was a great player, but all we have on his background is he ran a bunch of camps and was a high school head coach for a year.

The best FCS hire ever? Lol. Based on what?

kalm
December 15th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Wait. Why? I don't understand this logic at all. Coaching well and playing well aren't at all the same things. I've seen this take all over the place. I think he certainly has an impressive frame of reference as a player, but can he teach it? Can he be the CEO of a football program? We have no idea.

I would say the opposite. On paper, he's a pretty big gamble. Sure, he was a great player, but all we have on his background is he ran a bunch of camps and was a high school head coach for a year.

The best FCS hire ever? Lol. Based on what?

Which begs the question, who WAS the best FCS hire of all time?

Daytripper
December 15th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Jim Tressel?

EKU05
December 15th, 2019, 01:52 PM
So what are your thoughts on Walt Wells, the new EKU coach?

I don't think it's a bad hire. It might even be a really good one. With that having been said, I have a real problem with how the chair or the board of regents seems to be operating right now. I think there's a lot of ego involved. This may not be the place to go into all of the details, but it's been discussed pretty thoroughly on the maroon-nation.com board.

But none of that baggage directly reflects on Coach Wells who has a ton of experience as an assistant in a variety of situations. It also doesn't hurt that he has a good background with EKU and sort of gets the history and the identity.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Would throw Art Baker out there. Came to Furman from Texas Tech in 1973. Would later move on to be HC @ The Citadel and East Carolina. Career record of 69-80-5 / 57-48-5 (FCS)...Hang on...

Yeah...Coach Baker’s record of winning Football games was not so hot, but his record of hiring Asst. Coaches was, which is why I’m throwin’ him out there...

3 of his hires on that Furman Staff led, as HC’s, the Paladins to I-AA / FCS National Championship games - Dick Sheridan in 1985, Jimmy Satterfield in 1988 (won it), and Bobby Johnson in 2001. Sheridan & Johnson were also named NCAA Coaches of the year during their tenures as HC’s @ NC State & Vanderbilt, respectively.

I think he also hired a bunch of future outstanding HC’s during his stint with the bellhops, but I’ll let one of those types speak on that, if they care to.

Oh, he also recruited & signed FUBeAR for the Paladins, but I believe he has been largely forgiven for that transgression.

BearDownMU
December 15th, 2019, 02:56 PM

Certainly an argument to be made for Craig Bohl.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2019, 03:02 PM

I'll toss Andy Talley's name into the ring. He was hired when Villanova restarted the program as 1-AA. Within a few years Villanova reached #1 and remained a consistent force until he retired.

Erk Russell has a similar story but he didn't stay at GSU nearly as long.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 15th, 2019, 05:03 PM

If you had to ask me, I would make an argument for Erk Russell since he built Georgia Southern football from scratch one year after winning the national title at Georgia as their DC. The late Lewis Grizzard said that Georgia Southern got themselves a franchise when they hired him. The assistants on Russell's staffs that followed in his footsteps won a number of national titles on Georgia Southern's behalf. In my opinion, Erk Russell for many a season has been the gold standard as far as FCS hires are concerned (where they came from, what they did with their program).

An argument can be made for Jerry Moore but his success in the form of three national titles came shortly after ETSU disbanded their program.

Bobby Wilder (formerly of ODU) had the right formula but ODU left for greener pastures unexpectedly and very quickly. I would submit that had they stayed, ODU could have had an FCS title to their name.

Randy Sanders got ETSU their first SoCon title ever a year ago in his rookie season. I was hoping for better things this year but they didn’t finish the job against multiple conference teams (except for Wofford) but they beat Mercer. Sanders is the only coach to my knowledge that had the resume/pedigree comparable to Russell.

Craig Bohl was hired by NDSU while NDSU was a D2. Bohl won multiple FCS titles, while the assistants that followed (Klieman, Entz) kept NDSU running like a well-oiled machine.

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Missouri St to buy out Dave Steckel... seems like odd timing.

https://twitter.com/WyattWheeler_NL/status/1215300244625403904

TheKingpin28
January 9th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Missouri St to buy out Dave Steckel... seems like odd timing.

https://twitter.com/WyattWheeler_NL/status/1215300244625403904Was the buyout cheaper once a certain date was reached? That could be an explanation as to why they waited as long as they did.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

UNH72Plus
January 10th, 2020, 07:15 PM
Looks like Coach Mac will be back next fall at UNH after sitting out last year for treatment for cancer.

Derby City Duke
January 10th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Looks like Coach Mac will be back next fall at UNH after sitting out last year for treatment for cancer.

Great news! As a fellow cancer warrior this inspires me to continue to fight my @$$ off.

walliver
January 20th, 2020, 01:03 PM
If you had to ask me, I would make an argument for Erk Russell since he built Georgia Southern football from scratch one year after winning the national title at Georgia as their DC. The late Lewis Grizzard said that Georgia Southern got themselves a franchise when they hired him. The assistants on Russell's staffs that followed in his footsteps won a number of national titles on Georgia Southern's behalf. In my opinion, Erk Russell for many a season has been the gold standard as far as FCS hires are concerned (where they came from, what they did with their program).

I'd agree with Erk. He made something out of nothing and maintained it.

I would have submitted Mike Ayers, but he was hired for NAIA football and stayed around for the long transition upward.

citdog
January 20th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Rumored that Bo Pelini may be headed to LSU at defensive coordinator. What about Carl?

Professor Chaos
January 21st, 2020, 08:32 AM
Rumored that Bo Pelini may be headed to LSU at defensive coordinator. What about Carl?
From footballscoop.com: Sources: Bo Pelini a strong candidate for LSU defensive coordinator position (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-bo-pelini-a-strong-candidate-for-lsu-defensive-coordinator-position/)

From Pelini’s perspective, source tells FootballScoop Bo would like to have assurances that his brother Carl would become head coach at Youngstown before making this move if possible.

Professor
January 21st, 2020, 08:55 AM
From footballscoop.com: Sources: Bo Pelini a strong candidate for LSU defensive coordinator position (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-bo-pelini-a-strong-candidate-for-lsu-defensive-coordinator-position/)

2 questions

1. What about him says he can lead a good defense?

2. Why does his brother have to be the next coach

Professor Chaos
January 21st, 2020, 09:28 AM
2 questions

1. What about him says he can lead a good defense?

2. Why does his brother have to be the next coach
For #1 he was LSU's DC under Nick Saban during their national title season is 2007 (which he parleyed into the Nebraska HC job) and before that was a DC at Nebraska and Oklahoma. He's proven he can do it at a high level.

For #2 we probably have some YSU fans around here that could say for sure better than I could but I get the impression that YSU President Jim Tressell is the equivalent of a "pushover parent" when it comes to Bo and YSU AD Ron Strollo is just inept and benefits from the same mentality from Tresell. So Bo feels like he calls the shots for YSU's football program instead of his AD or President. I don't have any inside info there but that's just my impression from reading the complaints on this board from YSU fans (and they have plenty of evidence to back it up).

Professor
January 21st, 2020, 09:50 AM
For #1 he was LSU's DC under Nick Saban during their national title season is 2007 (which he parleyed into the Nebraska HC job) and before that was a DC at Nebraska and Oklahoma. He's proven he can do it at a high level.

For #2 we probably have some YSU fans around here that could say for sure better than I could but I get the impression that YSU President Jim Tressell is the equivalent of a "pushover parent" when it comes to Bo and YSU AD Ron Strollo is just inept and benefits from the same mentality from Tresell. So Bo feels like he calls the shots for YSU's football program instead of his AD or President. I don't have any inside info there but that's just my impression from reading the complaints on this board from YSU fans (and they have plenty of evidence to back it up).

Haven't seen YSU as having one of the top Ds in the FCS but ok

Professor Chaos
January 21st, 2020, 09:54 AM
Their defense has always been pretty good under Bo. Their offense, for the most part, has been a train wreck with a revolving door at QB.

Paladin1aa
January 21st, 2020, 07:19 PM
I doubt Bozo is leaving. For one, YSU refused to give them a written guarantee during contract extension negotiations Carl would become HC when Bozo leaves and they will NOT give that assurance. Two, Bozos daughter is just a Jr at his h.s. ALMA mater, Youngstown Cardinal Mooney. He wants her to graduate first. Third, Bozos stock has slipped. I think the scoop is someone’s pipe dream. While Bozo is a pretty good DC ( he was under Les Miles at LSU), he has been a terrible HC, has created numerous problems among the players, recruited a rapist and has been as antagonistic as he was at Nebraska. He has been a pain in the arse at YSU. While he isn’t loved here and won’t be missed, his leaving now is questionable.

And finally, he answered a local sports reporter if he was leaving. He said no.

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2020, 05:01 AM

To be honest, you don't have to be some sort of mastermind to turn LSU's talented roster into an elite defense.

For me, I am just hoping to see Orgeron, Pelini, Leach, and Kiffin in the same division of the SEC. What an interesting experience that must be for recruits.

MSUBobcat
January 22nd, 2020, 10:11 AM
MSU is losing RB coach Denarius McGhee, one of MSU's all-time greats, to the Houston Texans. Bummer to see him go, but can't blame him for jumping to the NFL from a position coach in the FCS. Position not yet released from the articles I've seen.

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/montana-state-assistant-denarius-mcghee-to-join-houston-texans-staff

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a strong likelihood that Pelini will be going to LSU to be their DC. So does that mean the Bozo Brother gets to be the new HC at YSU?

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1221865250548584448

kdinva
January 28th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Here I was hoping VMI would have 100% retention going into 2020......oh well. Off Coord/QBs Coach Brian Sheppard moving on to Minnesota as an offensive assistant. WR's Coach Billy Cosh elevated to QB/OC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 30th, 2020, 11:07 PM
East Carolina hired Kennesaw State's DC Blake Harrell. Harrell was Houston's DC at The Citadel so the two have a working relationship. This a great hire for ECU imo and a tough loss for KSU.

Catamount87
January 31st, 2020, 09:31 AM
East Carolina hired Kennesaw State's DC Blake Harrell. Harrell was Houston's DC at The Citadel so the two have a working relationship. This a great hire for ECU imo and a tough loss for KSU.

Who then hired Tripp Weaver as DB coach. Tripp had just been promoted to DC at WCU on Jan 16th. He is an ECU grad and spent a good bit of time on Houston's staff at The Citadel and JMU prior to coming to WCU.

bonarae
February 2nd, 2020, 10:22 PM
Larry Scott, Florida TE coach, expected to become HC at Howard.

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-florida-losing-an-assistant-to-a-fcs-head-coaching-opportunity/

Anthony215
February 3rd, 2020, 09:21 AM
Larry Scott, Florida TE coach, expected to become HC at Howard.

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-florida-losing-an-assistant-to-a-fcs-head-coaching-opportunity/

That's a mighty jump from coaching Tight Ends to being a HC. However he's been noted as a great recruiter and equally impressive with developing players. His hands will be full in DC but if they can pony up the full equivalencies and give him a budget for a quality staff the Bison can be competitive in the MEAC once again and earn the university a payday with a Celebration Bowl appearance in a few years if he sticks around that long. His biggest adjustment will be the difference in resources/facilities as well as the mess the previous coach left behind...

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 10:54 AM
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-tabs-former-bobcats-player-and-veteran-coach-jimmy/article_11a01cad-cbcf-5e5e-b182-b693459d6094.html

Bobcats replace Denarius McGhee with Jimmy Beal, who was RB coach for South Dakota State in 2019 and was previously RB coach at NAU from 2010 to 2018.

Professor
February 3rd, 2020, 12:29 PM
You leave FCS job for a D2 job in the same capacity ???

Pitt State (D-II – KS): Source tells FootballScoop that Western Illinois (FCS) defensive coordinator Tom Anthony is expected to become the new defensive coordinator at Pitt State.

The Yo Show
February 3rd, 2020, 12:43 PM
That is a head scratcher for sure

clenz
February 3rd, 2020, 12:54 PM
You leave FCS job for a D2 job in the same capacity ???

Pitt State (D-II – KS): Source tells FootballScoop that Western Illinois (FCS) defensive coordinator Tom Anthony is expected to become the new defensive coordinator at Pitt State.
Pitt State would beat WIU.

Pay is probably equal.

Numbers for this year won't be out for a while

but

the previous OC made 70k
Elliot was making 60k before being named HC
Stockton was making 48k as the DC.

WIU's coaching salaries were/are pretty low.

Paladin1aa
February 3rd, 2020, 03:53 PM
Pitt St HC is Brian Wright. Anthony coached with him at YSU. Known each other for years. He coached Brandian Ross ( Oakland Raiders) at YSU.

Professor
February 3rd, 2020, 04:01 PM

Pay is probably equal.

but

the previous OC made 70k

Just wow

Professor
February 4th, 2020, 02:23 PM
I wonder does Michigan State reach down into the FCS ranks

F'N Hawks
February 4th, 2020, 02:40 PM

Pay is probably equal.

but

the previous OC made 70k

The Leathernecks make UND seem like big spenders. Yikes

MSUBobcat
February 4th, 2020, 02:44 PM

Had to Google this. Is a guy named Bob SKANDALaris really involved in a recruiting scandal??? That's comically ironic. I want to change my name to Corrupty McScandalson and get myself embroiled in a conspiracy.

Daytripper
February 4th, 2020, 03:30 PM

No. Leading candidate is Luke Fickell at Cincinnati.

centennial
February 5th, 2020, 07:40 AM
Seems like YSU might be about to announce a High School coach as their new head coach.

ysubigred
February 5th, 2020, 07:45 AM
Seems like YSU might be about to announce a High School coach as their new head coach.

Tried NFL, Big 10 and recycled Tressel assistants why not a high school coach? Can't get much worse. Just call YSU Mo State lite :D

BurialGround
February 5th, 2020, 08:09 AM

If you say so.

KSU hires former QB Chandler Burks to be the new QB coach following the loss of Cody Worley to Army. Glad to have him back!

clenz
February 5th, 2020, 10:51 AM
That....get this...has been busted twice and suspended for cheating.

Paladin1aa
February 5th, 2020, 11:17 AM
That is correct, clenz. He is dirty but fits right in at YSU.

bonarae
February 8th, 2020, 05:19 PM
YSU gets Cincinnati assistant Doug Phillips.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200207061909530112404&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Schism55
February 19th, 2020, 03:06 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1230222724334641152

Catamount87
February 27th, 2020, 07:44 AM
The Catamount nation has been sitting on pins and needles waiting for the announcement of a new DC and OC. In January, we announced a new DC (promoted from within) who a couple of weeks later took a position coaching job at his alma mater, ECU.

Well, we now have a new DC and a new defensive line coach. Our new DC comes from GT, Andy McCollum, Link to Press Release (https://catamountsports.com/news/2020/2/25/football-andy-mccollum-hired-as-western-carolina-defensive-coordinator.aspx). Even bigger news for Catamounts is the addition of 15 year NFL veteran and former Catamount great, Clyde Simmons to the defensive ends coach (https://catamountsports.com/news/2020/2/26/football-former-catamount-clyde-simmons-joins-wcu-coaching-staff.aspx). Clyde was a beast as a Catamount and not too shabby as a defensive end in the NFL, 121.5 career sacks. Y'all might recall he was on the Eagles line with HOFer Reggie White. They were quite the tandem.