PDA

View Full Version : travel cost

clawman
November 23rd, 2019, 09:41 PM
How much does the cost of travel weight into decision making on which at large teams get in?
ex- it costs a lot more to fly teams to games vs busing teams on the east coast.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2019, 09:46 PM
How much does the cost of travel weight into decision making on which at large teams get in?
ex- it costs a lot more to fly teams to games vs busing teams on the east coast.

It doesn't (or at least, it's not supposed to). They decide who gets in, who gets the seeds, and then they pair up unseeded teams to minimize travel. But travel distance doesn't enter into the conversation until after the at-large teams are decided.

wapiti
November 23rd, 2019, 09:53 PM
I think the travel issue is more for visiting team fans to get to the game and not for the team to get to the game.

Keep the game within driving distance of the visiting team and more tickets may be sold and thus generate more revenue.

JayJ79
November 23rd, 2019, 10:05 PM
I think the travel issue is more for visiting team fans to get to the game and not for the team to get to the game.
Keep the game within driving distance of the visiting team and more tickets may be sold and thus generate more revenue.

that may be secondary motivation, but I'm quite sure the primary motivation is only having to pay for bus travel (400 miles or less) when possible instead of having to pay for air travel (anything over 400 miles)

ejjones
November 23rd, 2019, 10:06 PM
NCAA is a business.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 10:11 PM
It doesn't (or at least, it's not supposed to). They decide who gets in, who gets the seeds, and then they pair up unseeded teams to minimize travel. But travel distance doesn't enter into the conversation until after the at-large teams are decided.

This.

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2019, 11:23 PM

Travel cost only come in to play for the match ups. Its not supposed to effect whether they get in or not.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 11:27 PM
They select the entire field before seeds or first round pairings are set so it would take a concerted effort to map the teams out that are already in and start the pairing process early for them to select the last few at-larges based on geography. Based on this I'd highly doubt it comes into play. These guys on the committee are all ADs at individual schools also, it's not like they're getting a bonus from the NCAA for getting extra bus trips out of the field.