PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry--Edition #155

ngineer
November 17th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Kickoff will be at Goodman Stadium at 12:37 p.m. on November 23rd. Despite both team's problems this year, both have outside chances of being Patriot League Co-Champs with Holy Cross and/or Bucknell. Yes, the PL for the most part has taken it's lumps this year; but, really, the League played significant OOC games this year which had some impact on all overall records.

As for the main combatants, this must be seen as a springboard for both schools going into next year. Both considered in the bottom half of the league, pre-season, with some obvious deficiencies, both have shown glimpses of something better to come. How much will be shown this Saturday? Lafayette comes in with a new freshman QB who had taken his learning lumps, but has shown a good upside. I would expect Lehigh to come some some pressure packages and take the risk of getting burned. Really unkown who will be at the controls for Lehigh. Will Monaco be cleared? if not, Shoup or Beesmer? Will Hill be cleared to return. His absence at SHU and after he got hurt at Bucknell was obvious. He does add another dimension to the run game. Critical aspect of Lehigh' game is their OL. Have the walking wounded recovered enough to give enough protection and open some holes that appeared mid-season? Weather forecast looks good from this distance...Low 40's partly cloudy/sunny. Rain on Friday could leave a wet field.

CHIP72
November 17th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Looking closely at the Patriot League standings, though there could be as many as three teams that tie for the Patriot League title (Holy Cross, Bucknell, and the winner of the Lafayette/Lehigh game), only Holy Cross and Lafayette can actually win the championship officially based on head-to-head tiebreakers. Holy Cross wins the title if they beat Georgetown, OR if Lafayette loses to Lehigh. Lafayette wins the title if they beat Lehigh AND if Holy Cross loses to Georgetown. Both Lehigh and Bucknell would lose a 2-way or 3-way tiebreaker with Holy Cross because the Crusaders beat both teams.

LehighU11
November 20th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Is this game still on, or did Lafayette drop football and move to D3?

RichH2
November 20th, 2019, 08:02 PM
Kickoff will be at Goodman Stadium at 12:37 p.m. on November 23rd. Despite both team's problems this year, both have outside chances of being Patriot League Co-Champs with Holy Cross and/or Bucknell. Yes, the PL for the most part has taken it's lumps this year; but, really, the League played significant OOC games this year which had some impact on all overall records.

As for the main combatants, this must be seen as a springboard for both schools going into next year. Both considered in the bottom half of the league, pre-season, with some obvious deficiencies, both have shown glimpses of something better to come. How much will be shown this Saturday? Lafayette comes in with a new freshman QB who had taken his learning lumps, but has shown a good upside. I would expect Lehigh to come some some pressure packages and take the risk of getting burned. Really unkown who will be at the controls for Lehigh. Will Monaco be cleared? if not, Shoup or Beesmer? Will Hill be cleared to return. His absence at SHU and after he got hurt at Bucknell was obvious. He does add another dimension to the run game. Critical aspect of Lehigh' game is their OL. Have the walking wounded recovered enough to give enough protection and open some holes that appeared mid-season? Weather forecast looks good from this distance...Low 40's partly cloudy/sunny. Rain on Friday could leave a wet field.

Beesmer to start. Monaco not cleared as of today. Hill cleared. Rybka still out. Otherwise team healthy.
We seem to be acteam of streaks this year. Hopefully we will end the streak of Ls this week. O has been very limited all season. Dont expect Lehigh O to score much on a decent Pard D. A bit more imagination by the OC would help tremendously. It would be a nice change of pace for us if we didnt go vanilla after the prescripted early series. Cant call your O just to avoid mistakes. D may have to score some points for us this werk.

ngineer
November 20th, 2019, 08:03 PM
Looking closely at the Patriot League standings, though there could be as many as three teams that tie for the Patriot League title (Holy Cross, Bucknell, and the winner of the Lafayette/Lehigh game), only Holy Cross and Lafayette can actually win the championship officially based on head-to-head tiebreakers. Holy Cross wins the title if they beat Georgetown, OR if Lafayette loses to Lehigh. Lafayette wins the title if they beat Lehigh AND if Holy Cross loses to Georgetown. Both Lehigh and Bucknell would lose a 2-way or 3-way tiebreaker with Holy Cross because the Crusaders beat both teams.

If any teams end with same records...in this case 4-2. They share in the championship. Each gets a PL Co-Championship Trophy. The tie breaker simply determines who represents the PL in NCAA playoff. There have been a number of co-champions over the years, but I don't believe there has been a 'tri-co-championship'.

ngineer
November 20th, 2019, 08:07 PM
NOVEMBER 23, 2019--THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSY TO BLEED!!!xthumbsupxxsmiley_wixxslapfightxxslapfight xxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhyp edxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhype dxxhypedxxhypedxxasswhipxxasswhipxxspankxxanim_cha ixxanim_chaixxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxx406xxdizzyx

RichH2
November 20th, 2019, 08:50 PM
Pards dont real interested this year in trash talk. Not much interested in the game either.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2019, 05:35 AM
Mild-mannered attorney ngineer turns into Wolfman once a year.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2019, 07:46 AM
The Pard faithful have no idea what to expect week to week from our team or head coach so it’s hard to talk smack. Despite all the whining Garrett has put together some stellar offensive game plans over the last few weeks, and some real stinkers.

Our D isn’t that good. The LB group is by far the strength. DL and DB’s are pedestrian save for a few studs like Hamm.

For once this decade our offensive line is solid. RB just decent. We have a pretty solid WR room, but 3 or the top 5 guys are hurt. We’ve had good production at TE, and TE/WR Zadok Scott is an excellent player and match up problem when used correctly. We will however live or die by our QB. The kid makes plays, but also takes chances he shouldn’t as young QB’s tend to do.

My prediction is a Pard victory by the same score that another 3rd year Lafayette coach had years ago... 14-7 Pards.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2019, 09:53 AM
For both teams, the key to this game is who emerges from the background and becomes a hero. The closest thing both teams have to "stars" are Lafayette QB Shoemaker and Lehigh LB Keith Woetzel on defense. My gut feeling is that someone other than these two guys are going to come out of nowhere and be the game's MVP. But I honestly have no feel whatsoever as to who that would be. If history is any guide it is likely to be a senior, but both of these teams are so young that that's no guarantee.

In every respect this is a weird year for "The Rivalry". Garrett is in Year 4 of the unending rebuild, he hasn't had a season over .500 yet, and he won't this year (even if he wins the Patriot League title). Gilmore's defense has kept them in games, but the offense hasn't been this anemic in an awfully long time. Lehigh fans in particular are used to 42-35 games, and I think most don't know what to do with games where the home team wins 10-3. Many of the usual rallying points aren't there this year. Folks want to believe in Beesmer, but the kid is raw and needs reps badly.

RichH2
November 21st, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread typifies the general aura of apathy. Neither fan base knows what to expect from its team. Both have shown flashes of good amidst a sea of mediocre and WTF. The only constant this year is the Lehigh D. A very solid unit that gives up a couple of big plays every week. An issue for Lehigh as its offense cant seem to get many TDs. Beesmer may be the key for Lehigh this week. Can the OL keep him upright? As yet they havent shown any consistency in pass blocking. Will the OC gameplan at all to help the QB. Portorreal in KO returns may be our best weapon. He has come often close to breaking one for a TD. Saturday would be a great time for one.
Pards have a QB.Streaky but at his best very good. A good OL. Decent WRs. Not much of a run game. D has a good DL but not much behind them. Shoemaker to Person is I think Pards shot for a big play.

carney2
November 21st, 2019, 01:33 PM
In every respect this is a weird year for "The Rivalry". Garrett is in Year 4 (make it 3) of the unending (10 year​) rebuild, he hasn't had a season over .500 (with over 3 wins) yet, and he won't this year (even if he wins the Patriot League title).

In need of some corrections.

LehighU11
November 21st, 2019, 07:14 PM
Other than (surprisingly) LFN, who could forget that Tavani had the audacity to challenge the LC administration from Fisher field in 2016--the first post-150 Rivalry meeting in Easton?

Frank's sound bite was an absolute classic: "The vultures can circle, but there's no dead meat here and that includes me."

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2019, 08:07 PM
Is there any plausible scenario where this is Garrett's last game at Lafayette?

CHIP72
November 21st, 2019, 08:19 PM

If this year's game is like last year's game, there will be people with pitchforks waiting for him on College Hill when the Lafayette team buses make the short trip home. (That assumes the Lafayette fans attending the game at Goodman Stadium don't pull pitchforks out of their cars' trunks immediately after the game.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2019, 08:51 PM
If this year's game is like last year's game, there will be people with pitchforks waiting for him on College Hill when the Lafayette team buses make the short trip home. (That assumes the Lafayette fans attending the game at Goodman Stadium don't pull pitchforks out of their cars' trunks immediately after the game.)

A loss to Lafayette and Gilmore will conclude a really ugly first season on South Mountain. Both programs desperately need to win this game.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2019, 09:05 PM
Will he get fired? No

Will he be looking for a new job? Most likely. I think he desires to get back to the NFL but maybe a 25% chance he will land a new gig he wants.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2019, 09:13 PM
Will he get fired? No

Will he be looking for a new job? Most likely. I think he desires to get back to the NFL but maybe a 25% chance he will land a new gig he wants.

Yeah I'm not suggesting firing. My thought process is maybe he throws in the towel and bails for another gig.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2019, 09:31 PM

Yes - Lafayette axes football. You said “plausible” and it’s not beyond the College to do that.

Otherwise - no. He will be back. He “competed” for a championship. That this team had (has) the word “championship” associated with it is a disgrace. We nearly have zero (ok, one) win.

LC would fire him if their atheltics plan meant anything.

Lehigh 24-14 - Frosh QB tries too hard and makes mistakes; exciting first half and then LC implodes because the Genius can’t coach offense and the D gets tired.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2019, 10:04 PM
Yeah I'm not suggesting firing. My thought process is maybe he throws in the towel and bails for another gig.

He will look for sure, and just not in the sense that every coach in America has their ear to the ground just in case. Word is he interviewed elsewhere last year to no avail.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2019, 02:15 PM

I could see one or two, but it seems likely he's going to be returning.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2019, 10:13 PM
Lehigh will have a few of its OL men back, though I doubt they are near 100%. However, Hill will return to the backfield and he brings a nice dimension to compliment Allen. If only they can get them some space to run. I am looking for our stellar LBs to make some big plays to help out the O with field position. LC does have some great incentive with a possible playoff game on the horizon as we hear scores from Worcester.

Garrett hasn't stayed many places more than 2-4 years, so he is likely growing fur under his feet by now. But, he won't be fired. It will be up to him to move on. He made Lafayette "competitive" this year and that's all LC's administration cares about. Gilmore wants this one bad to end a tough year on a good note and set a springboard for next year.

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 12:04 PM
Lafayette strikes first, scoring a touchdown after intercepting a Lehigh pass at midfield. The Leopards also converted two 4th downs on the drive.

Lafayette leads 7-0 at the end of a fast moving 1st quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 12:15 PM
Lehigh responds to the Lafayette touchdown drive with one of their own, driving nearly 70 yards in a roughly 5 minute drive.

The Mountain Hawks and Leopards are tied at 7-7 with 10:40 left in the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 12:41 PM
Lehigh 7 Lafayette 7 Half

As ugly as the score would indicate. Just two bad teams battling it out....

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 12:46 PM
I do think both teams’ defenses have made some plays today, though both quarterbacks have missed some throws too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:03 PM
Lehigh fumbles to start the second half. Three turnovers so far....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:08 PM
Leopards make them pay! Both of Lafayette's touchdowns have come off of turnovers...

Lafayette 14-7 11:20 3Q

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 01:16 PM
Lehigh fumbled the ball twice during the first three plays they touched the ball in the 2nd half (first offensive play of the half and after Lafayette’s post-touchdown kickoff).

Lafayette took advantage of the very short field to score a touchdown after the first fumble, and now face a 4th and 2 at the Lehigh 30 yard line after the second fumble.

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 01:17 PM
Lehigh fumbles to start the second half. Three turnovers so far....

Four turnovers - all of them at the 50 yard line or in Lehigh territory.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:19 PM
Four turnovers - all of them at the 50 yard line or in Lehigh territory.

And it's only 14-7! Lafayette is a mess too!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:28 PM
Lehigh has the worst 1st and goal offense I've ever seen. Settle for a FG

Lafayette 14-10 4:24 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:36 PM
Lafayette 14 Lehigh 10 End 4Q

Lehigh has a 4th and 1 right around midfield to start the 4th....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:43 PM
Lafayette's Selwyn Simpson just got ejected after his second unsportsmanlike penalty.....lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
The PL refs just screwed Lafayette out of a down. Should have been 3rd but the refs had it as 4th....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:00 PM
Something happened I've never seen. The refs go back 2 plays and give Lafayette the ball back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:09 PM
Lehigh tacks on a FG.

Lafayette 14-13 8:11 4Q

I'll take Dallas or IMOTEP High School over both teams....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:12 PM
Lehigh 308 total yards, Lafayette 180

But Lehigh has 4 turnovers...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:19 PM
Lehigh gets inside the 10 but once again can't get a TD. They do get the go ahead FG...

Lehigh 16-14 3:03 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
Lafayette at the Lehigh 45....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:26 PM
Lafayette at the Lehigh 20

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Lafayette makes a chip shot FG for the lead!

'Pards 17-16 0:47 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:40 PM
The Leopards end their 4 game losing streak to Lehigh!! It certainly wasn't pretty but Garrett gets the better of Gilmore for the second time!!

This was a disastrous first season for Gilmore. Lose to Holy Cross (former team that fired him), Bucknell (team Lehigh has owned but is now coached by Cecchini), and cap it with an ugly loss to a terrible Lafayette team. The offense is atrocious. It can't score from a foot away and defense really isn't all that great. They've played bad offenses in the PL that have made it look better than they are. Was tissue soft when it mattered most today.

Lehigh'98
November 23rd, 2019, 02:43 PM
We are a poorly coached team top to bottom. Congrats Lafayette on getting one from us.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM
We are a poorly coached team top to bottom. Congrats Lafayette on getting one from us.

Gilmore's time at Lehigh will be extremely forgettable and hopefully won't last more than 3-4 years. The Mountain Hawks are headed no where with him. His only saving grace is the PL stinks so the wheels won't completely fall off.

Including 2017 when he was fired with a 2-5 record, Gilmore's teams have finished with a losing record 6 out of the last 7 years. He's not a good head coach!

Southsider
November 23rd, 2019, 04:31 PM
Gilmore's time at Lehigh will be extremely forgettable and hopefully won't last more than 3-4 years. The Mountain Hawks are headed no where with him. His only saving grace is the PL stinks so the wheels won't completely fall off.

Including 2017 when he was fired with a 2-5 record, Gilmore's teams have finished with a losing record 6 out of the last 7 years. He's not a good head coach!

I cant wait that long! Gilmore and staff stink. How many times this year are we inside 5 with first down and do ****? I thought Beesmer did OK for first big game. LC QB was the difference. Did he get MVP? I hit the parking lot when the gun sounded. Overall, fun . Competitive game.

Southsider
November 23rd, 2019, 05:21 PM
And, the logistics at the gate were atrocious. My nephew, a LC alum player, got the tix. Handed out printouts from computer. After standing in line for 30 minutes to get in, got to the gate where they scanned them and said we had to go to will call for the actual tickets! Just like the game itself, the more you involve technology, the more f’d up it gets.

LehighU11
November 23rd, 2019, 05:26 PM
I cant wait that long! Gilmore and staff stink. How many times this year are we inside 5 with first down and do ****? I thought Beesmer did OK for first big game. LC QB was the difference. Did he get MVP? I hit the parking lot when the gun sounded. Overall, fun . Competitive game.
Beesmer exceeded expectations for a 3rd string QB with less than 2 games of experience.

LC kicker was MVP. I guess someone had to win it, but Woetzel probably had the best performance of anyone.

CHIP72
November 23rd, 2019, 08:16 PM
And, the logistics at the gate were atrocious. My nephew, a LC alum player, got the tix. Handed out printouts from computer. After standing in line for 30 minutes to get in, got to the gate where they scanned them and said we had to go to will call for the actual tickets! Just like the game itself, the more you involve technology, the more f’d up it gets.

I'll tell you what p!ssed me off - I brought two stadium seats with me to the game, and right before I got to the gate the first time (very early), I was told by a security guy a few feet in front of the gate I couldn't bring in a metal framed seat. After I took the seats back to my friend's car and entered, I saw probably a half dozen people inside Goodman Stadium with stadium seats that have metal frames. What's the story security? Either let everyone with stadium seats that have no pockets into the stadium or let no one with stadium seats into the game.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2019, 09:40 PM
Beesmer exceeded expectations for a 3rd string QB with less than 2 games of experience.

LC kicker was MVP. I guess someone had to win it, but Woetzel probably had the best performance of anyone.

+1 Yep. Woetzel had a monster game.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2019, 09:45 PM
I'll tell you what p!ssed me off - I brought two stadium seats with me to the game, and right before I got to the gate the first time (very early), I was told by a security guy a few feet in front of the gate I couldn't bring in a metal framed seat. After I took the seats back to my friend's car and entered, I saw probably a half dozen people inside Goodman Stadium with stadium seats that have metal frames. What's the story security? Either let everyone with stadium seats that have no pockets into the stadium or let no one with stadium seats into the game.

I never recall such tight security with the emptying of pockets and pat downs. Before it was a wand scan. Really a bizarre scene. As for the seats, supposedly there was a fight earlier in the season where people with portable seats expanded into adjoining designated seat areas. No impact in the reserved chair back seat area, but on the bench seats was the issue. I have 'soft' or cushion seats and have never been stopped, but I sit in the chair backs.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2019, 09:57 PM
As for the game, it was a shame. Lehigh just shot itself in the foot too many times with the turnovers, plus the out of bounds kickoff that assisted LC with good field position to start last possession. Up until then the KO game was excellent pinning LC return guys between the 10-18 yard lines. I disagree with all the doom and gloom a few of the crepe hangers continually lament. The defense played very well. a few chunk plays, but overall they played good enough to win. Problem was offense, which was hamstrung by not having Portoreal in the game (injured week prior), being able to score touchdowns. We almost had 400 yards of offense. I have said all year we need a new OC. We have a lot coming back next year, and other than Villanova (which we played very competitively well into the second half) and UC-Davis, all the other games were close. Another decent recruiting year and I see a lot of potential. We came out of two years of dysfunction due to Coen's illness and I think there can be bright future. Turnarounds do not come over night. Pre-season I said we'd be anywhere between 3-8 and 8-3 and there we are. We will have an excellent core coming back on the D, and Beesmer showed potential at QB. The OL will return and hopefully this past year will be a motivator in the offseason. With luck, we might get Nick Rosen back on a medical redshirt. This team showed a lot of fight and heart this year and a lot more intensity than we have seen in the past couple years. I am optimistic.

grayghost06
November 24th, 2019, 01:00 AM
I know in the past that this game has sold out. Any Pard/ Engineer fans surprised it didn’t this year?

LehighU11
November 24th, 2019, 05:15 AM
I know in the past that this game has sold out. Any Pard/ Engineer fans surprised it didn’t this year?
Lafayette attendance and support has really been hurt by a decade of losing and administration indifference towards athletics. They haven't sold out the game at Fisher the past few times. Very few of their students bothered to enter the stadium and they didn't sell out their allotment. Lehigh had a couple hundred remaining tickets on the visitor side earlier in the week, which was fairly surprising.

The announced attendance of 13,292 is by far the lowest at Lehigh for the game since Goodman Stadium (capacity 16,000) opened in '88. The game always sells out, and even the cold, rainy game in 2017 had an announced attendance of 15,270. There may very well have been 17-18k people at the tailgates, however. There were hundreds of cars parked in far flung parts of the athletic campus where I've never seen cars before.

CHIP72
November 24th, 2019, 05:21 AM

I’m not surprised it did not, but based on the number of empty seats there were at the game (which appeared to be in the NE corner of the stadium; I couldn’t see them well because I was sitting on that side a few sections away), I was surprised that the game was not close to a sellout. There were a small number of tickets available on Lehigh’s website the day before the game (all in the SE corner of Goodman Stadium), but the number was a lot less than the number of unsold tickets.

Based on what I saw attendance-wise and the official attendance figure, I think most of the unsold seats were part of Lafayette’s ticket allotment. I’m guessing most of Lafayette’s “official seats” for L-L when the games are held at Lehigh are in the NE corner of Goodman Stadium.

CHIP72
November 24th, 2019, 05:27 AM
I never recall such tight security with the emptying of pockets and pat downs. Before it was a wand scan. Really a bizarre scene. As for the seats, supposedly there was a fight earlier in the season where people with portable seats expanded into adjoining designated seat areas. No impact in the reserved chair back seat area, but on the bench seats was the issue. I have 'soft' or cushion seats and have never been stopped, but I sit in the chair backs.

Yeah, at all the previous Lehigh home games I’ve attended (none of which were against Lafayette), security has been very lax. I wasn’t surprised by the extra security though.

I’ll also note that at the other Lehigh home games I’ve gone to, I’ve bought a GA ticket and then found a seat near the top of the chairback sections that eventually gets into the shade by late in the 1st half. (Pretty much all of the other Lehigh games I’ve attended have occurred between mid-September and early October.) I just use regular seat cushions when I sit there (which I did have yesterday because there were three people in my group and I only had two stadium seats that I planned to use).

grayghost06
November 24th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Lafayette attendance and support has really been hurt by a decade of losing and administration indifference towards athletics. They haven't sold out the game at Fisher the past few times. Very few of their students bothered to enter the stadium and they didn't sell out their allotment. Lehigh had a couple hundred remaining tickets on the visitor side earlier in the week, which was fairly surprising.

The announced attendance of 13,292 is by far the lowest at Lehigh for the game since Goodman Stadium (capacity 16,000) opened in '88. The game always sells out, and even the cold, rainy game in 2017 had an announced attendance of 15,270. There may very well have been 17-18k people at the tailgates, however. There were hundreds of cars parked in far flung parts of the athletic campus where I've never seen cars before.

That's too bad about the Lafayette students lack of interest. Since JMU has only had football since the mid 70s, we don't have a historical rival like you guys do. I'd love to have one of those end of the year games against a school you've played for over 100 years. I think The Rivalry is an awesome game; that Yankee Stadium game was great. Fisher Field is one of my favorite college football venues. On the main campus and stands close to the field are big plusses. Goodman is a good looking stadium as well and has a nice backdrop-I just prefer stadiums that the students can roll out of bed and walk to the tailgating.

Hope for continued success for this game.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2019, 11:01 AM

Not just Lafayette’s fault. Lehigh had plenty of unsold tickets as well, and had no demand for allotments to be returned.

18 in Fisher had pretty poor attendance as well, but I recall 2016 being much closer to a sellout than 2019.

Both schools need to get off their ass and market the game. People still think it’s hard to get tickets... well it’s not just, buy them and go. Lowering the prices a bit wouldn’t hurt either to get so some locals back in the fold. Finally shut down the student tailgates a few minutes into the 1st quarter. Make them come into the game or take a Uber home.

Sader87
November 24th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Harvard-Yale looked like attendance had slumped badly too....it's pretty endemic everywhere sadly....different world today, actually attending a college football game has basically gone the way of men wearing hats (not baseball caps) :)

ngineer
November 24th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Hah....and I still wear a hat=very few head colds.xsmiley_wix Yes, there were thousands in the parking lots partying and keeping an eye on the game on TV. This was my 49th, and I cannot fathom not being in the stadium for the game. It's great to hear the roar of a good sized crowd. Seems the younger generation is not into 'communal bonding',...except where they can drink.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2019, 10:59 PM
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine today. His son is a freshman at Lehigh. The young man is a former high school football player, and is generally social but not a big partier apparently. He said his son didn’t go to the game. I asked why, did he have too much homework? He said no, he just didn’t feel like it.

We have a kid who is a former athlete himself and football fan in general not even bothering to go. Unfathomable in my day as the game is one of the top events on campus at either school all year. If students don’t care they won’t give a rip as alums. Kids are just different these days I suppose.

Lehigh'98
November 25th, 2019, 04:34 AM
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine today. His son is a freshman at Lehigh. The young man is a former high school football player, and is generally social but not a big partier apparently. He said his son didn’t go to the game. I asked why, did he have too much homework? He said no, he just didn’t feel like it.

We have a kid who is a former athlete himself and football fan in general not even bothering to go. Unfathomable in my day as the game is one of the top events on campus at either school all year. If students don’t care they won’t give a rip as alums. Kids are just different these days I suppose.

Agree with most of this, but how much are the schools promoting the game? Also, both schools have put out a D3 like product the last five years (more for Lafayette) and just expect same numbers because tradition. No one is really doing anything to protect the rivalry. There is absolutely nothing to be excited about from a football standpoint. I still talk to a bunch of guys who I played with. We still love the program, but I see a lot of apathy from them simply because we have put out uncompetitive results for awhile now. How different would the attendance have been if we both had winning programs? We will never know. Also, OSU/PSU at noon didn’t help either.

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2019, 06:41 AM

I can’t speak for former HS athletes, but one kid that I interviewed for Harvard back in the 90s (and got in) went to precisely one Harvard-Yale game in his four years there. And that was his senior year, and only because the young woman classmate he ended up marrying made him go. And that was before Smartphones and GOT.xnonono2x

ngineer
November 25th, 2019, 02:21 PM

Absolutely. They don't care (for the most part). The tradition of communal bonding activities has disappeared. Lehigh for almost 70 years has had a "Turkey Trot" the Friday before the game. It didn't go off this year, allegedly due to construction activities, which is BS because they could easlily have made a course adjustment. An administrator said the students could "participate" by doing it on the treadmills in the gym and sending in their times! wTF. Let's just everyone one "mail it in" for everything. Pathetic. It's like a 'national malaise'...channeling Jimmy Carter's speech in the late 1970's.