PDA

View Full Version : Moc Offensive Coordinator credit where credit is due

FCS_Observer
November 17th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Looking at Chattanooga's offensive stats, interesting to note that in their first four games they averaged only 14.5 points a game but in the last seven a touch over 33 per game - a significant improvement. Kudos to first year OC Joe Pizzo who came over from Mercer into a new environment and weathered an early storm and has been a key in turning the Moc's fortunes around. They have a chance for a share of the SoCon title but I realize that Wofford wrapped it up with their 24-7 win over Furman. It just appears that the Moc's defense hasn't given the offense enough time on the field to work any magic. Tiano is solid but needs a higher completion percentage to really get the Moc's motor running.

FCS_Observer
November 17th, 2019, 04:24 PM
And that being said, the Moc's were hit with a lot of injuries and I realize that's an old complaint but still a hard-hitting truth and no football pun intended. We all understand what Nick Saban is facing with the loss of Tua this past weekend but sometimes its easy to overlook less well-known injuries and their cumulative impact on a team's performance. And before you jump all over me for being a Moc supporter, I do like the team (especially the tailgates under the roof!) but I'm a Furman man. I still try to be as objective as a fan's mentality will let me though and was even excited for Devlin Hodges when he got to play for the Steelers a couple of weeks ago - saw him as a freshman when Furman traveled to Samford.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2019, 05:05 PM
The amount of injuries Chattanooga has endured has been quite substantial

Starting Tailback - goes out in the first game with an ACL
Starting Right Tackle - goes out with an ACL vs JMU
Backup Trailback #1 - goes out with ACL
Backup Tailback #2 - misses 5 games with a hamstring
Backup Trailback # 3 - goes out with a knee injury
Starting Wideout #1 - goes out with an ACL
Starting Wideout #2 - goes out with a knee injury
Starting Center - out with a back injury
Backup Center - goes out with an ACL
Starting Nose Guard - out with a shoulder injury

I don't ever remember us having this many injuries, but yet we continue to fight! There is no quit in this team!!!

Silenoz
November 17th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Huh, I thought it was Justin Rascati (who we were just talking about), but I guess he's with the Broncos now.

Mocs123
November 17th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Rascoti was let go at the end of last season by Arth before Akron gave us a gift by hiring him and his staff away. The Mocs hired former player and former Huesman assistant Rusty Wright who brought in former Mercer Offensive Coordinator Joe Pizzo to run the offense.

Milktruck74
November 17th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Joe P is calling a better game than Rascati for sure, but the biggest improvement to the Mocs O this season is the addition of Chris Malone as the OL coach. The same group that couldn't block my grandma last year, only gave up 8 sacks through 10 games this year (rough game this week and the loss of our back up (lost first team a while back) center)....and has produced about 2000 yards of rushing. Yeah, Malone is doing it with the same guys Arth's guy had last season.....So if you want to give Kudos it is to Chris Malone!!!!

Mocs123
November 17th, 2019, 08:27 PM
I REALLY like the staff that Rusty put together and thing he made a bunch of great hires, but I think Malone might have been the best.

gofurman
November 17th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I REALLY like the staff that Rusty put together and thing he made a bunch of great hires, but I think Malone might have been the best.

Glad to see the Mocs rising ! I mean that. Right now the SoCon has 4 good teams - Wofford, Furman, Citadel and Chatt - I also give VMI credit for doing what they have done and would be more than happy if they could stay in the "win one or more every year"

Where our conference needs help to be stronger is Mercer, Samford, Western and ETSU - we need at least 2 of those 4 to step up to another level and win some more OOC games (even just 1 or 2 total like Samford beat TTU and Mercer beat Campbell.. )

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Chattanooga found their identity this year. They are a good football team that, if healthy, would probably beat Jacksonville State if they lined up again. If they did that, they would make the playoffs IMO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FCS_Observer
November 18th, 2019, 07:27 AM
I think its fair to say that both men are valuable contributors

FCS_Observer
November 18th, 2019, 07:51 AM

FCS_Observer
November 18th, 2019, 07:58 AM

FCS_Observer
November 18th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Again, kudos to Coach Malone, but two points here. The guys are all a year older so individually and as a unit this makes a difference. Second, while I personally couldn't zip off a bunch of 'X's and 'O's to demonstrate how a scheme might affect blocking effectiveness, I've got to think that such schemes can produce different results. I don't know how many times over the years I've heard commentators discuss the complexity of blocking schemes and how the transition from old to a new one is a challenge for the OL, especially in the early stages which is what I think we have seen here. But as everyone here realizes, its chaos on the field and the best scheme can be blown up by a talented defense.

Milktruck74
November 19th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Fair point that both have contributed. Very much a synergistic relationship. Good play calling begats good blocking begats good play calling..... I like both hires, but I'm and old Olineman....so, Malone for 51% of the credit!!!!