PDA

View Full Version : #3 Weber State at #5 Montana

Grizalltheway
November 12th, 2019, 09:55 AM
These teams have been squaring off almost every year since the 60s, but this will (I believe) be the first time both have been ranked in the top 5. Sounds like both teams might have one of their best skill players out (RB Davis for Weber and WR Akem for UM). If the Griz can match Weber's physicality in the trenches (or at least not get totally dominated) and limit turnovers, I think they have a good shot to pull off the upset.

wapiti
November 12th, 2019, 09:57 AM
I thought JLM or Sneed was UM's best skill player??????

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 10:00 AM
These teams have been squaring off almost every year since the 60s, but this will (I believe) be the first time both have been ranked in the top 5. Sounds like both teams might have one of their best skill players out (RB Davis for Weber and WR Akem for UM). If the Griz can match Weber's physicality in the trenches (or at least not get totally dominated) and limit turnovers, I think they have a good shot to pull off the upset.The Griz are favored in this game, I saw some place where it was 6 points or something.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Monte

Grizalltheway
November 12th, 2019, 10:12 AM
One of

Grizalltheway
November 12th, 2019, 10:14 AM
The Griz are favored in this game, I saw some place where it was 6 points or something.

That's interesting, hadn't seen the Vegas lines yet. Was just going off of their poll rankings.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 10:22 AM
That's interesting, hadn't seen the Vegas lines yet. Was just going off of their poll rankings.Honestly, I can't remember where I saw it, I think 5Dimes has Weber State as the favorite.

CappinHard
November 12th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Honestly, I can't remember where I saw it, I think 5Dimes has Weber State as the favorite.

Montana -4.5 on 5dimes.

Bisonator
November 12th, 2019, 10:25 AM
I'll go with the Griz at home. Should be a good one!

MSUBobcat
November 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM
These teams have been squaring off almost every year since the 60s, but this will (I believe) be the first time both have been ranked in the top 5. Sounds like both teams might have one of their best skill players out (RB Davis for Weber and WR Akem for UM). If the Griz can match Weber's physicality in the trenches (or at least not get totally dominated) and limit turnovers, I think they have a good shot to pull off the upset.

I'm not sure I'd call a #5 UM, with one of the best home field advantages in FCS, beating a #3 much of an upset. I can see a wide array of outcomes with the Griz winning that wouldn't shock me. Need to look at the data points more closely before I make a call, but kinda leaning toward the Griz for the time being.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 11:18 AM
I got the Griz here, I watched a recording of the Weber State/UND game, UND lit them up pretty bad through the air and I don't think UND does that very much with anybody. Wasn't impressed at all with the WSU D.

Silenoz
November 12th, 2019, 12:07 PM

JLM is probably our third best receiver

1 - Akem
2 - Sneed
3 - Toure
4 - JLM or Knight

- - - Updated - - -

Weber by 14

- - - Updated - - -

I got the Griz here, I watched a recording of the Weber State/UND game, UND lit them up pretty bad through the air and I don't think UND does that very much with anybody. Wasn't impressed at all with the WSU D.
If you watched our Sac State game you wouldn't be impressed with us. Any given Saturday.

GreatGreatGreat
November 12th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Our secondary has been banged up lately. Usually not a problem because our pass rush has been relentless. Kudos to UND’s o-line for their pass protection. We played flat and had a bad game but the Cats will be ready to go at Montana. I fully expect a rebound game from our D. Should be a classic.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 12th, 2019, 04:55 PM
If Montana can get out of the gates early (something that has been an issue with us) I could see Weber struggling to keep up with our offense. If we have to play catch up which we have been doing a lot in the first halves this year Weber probably gets us.

I say Montana 37-27.

katss07
November 12th, 2019, 04:56 PM
I have no faith in Constantine. If Davis is out, I’ll definitely take the Grizzlies. Looking forward to this one! Winner should get home field through the quarterfinals (should they go that far).

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 07:14 PM

1 - Akem
2 - Sneed
3 - Toure
4 - JLM or Knight

- - - Updated - - -

Weber by 14

- - - Updated - - -

If you watched our Sac State game you wouldn't be impressed with us. Any given Saturday.I did watch the Sac State/Montana game, yea, um, yea. There is always potential for a team meltdown, I think NDSU had one back in 2015 against USD. **** happens I guess.

GreatGreatGreat
November 12th, 2019, 09:39 PM
If Montana can get out of the gates early (something that has been an issue with us) I could see Weber struggling to keep up with our offense. If we have to play catch up which we have been doing a lot in the first halves this year Weber probably gets us.

I say Montana 37-27.

Montana can definitely win this game if they score 37 points. Only problem is no one has scored 37 points on our defense.

GetEmGriz
November 13th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Montana can definitely win this game if they score 37 points. Only problem is no one has scored 37 points on our defense.

We said the same thing too until Sacramento State put up 49 on us.

Catbooster
November 13th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Yes, but Sac State is a good team.

Too early? Wait another week? xdrunkyx xsmiley_wix

MSUBobcat
November 13th, 2019, 10:33 AM

1 - Akem
2 - Sneed
3 - Toure
4 - JLM or Knight

- - - Updated - - -

Weber by 14

- - - Updated - - -

If you watched our Sac State game you wouldn't be impressed with us. Any given Saturday.

You sandbagging mutha.... You're becoming as bad as that #bookit Bison fan....xlolx

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2019, 10:45 AM
You sandbagging mutha.... You're becoming as bad as that #bookit Bison fan....xlolx
He's been worse than him for the last...8 years. Although, more often than not, he's been right.xlolx

GreatGreatGreat
November 13th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I’m not saying it won’t happen but 10 games in our D is more battle tested than your defense when you played Sac. Heck, Nevada and San Diego State couldn’t get 37 on us combined. Your bad game may have been Sac, I’ll tell you right now our let down game was last week but we still managed to win. I don’t want to disparage North Dakota though, those boys played hard. You can tell they want to make the playoffs.

Derby City Duke
November 13th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Rooting for the Griz; I think a Weber win slides the Wildcats up into the #2 seed and JMU to the #3, provided both win out. Wildcats lose and finish with 1 FCS loss and the Dukes keep the #2 seed as long as they take care of Richmond and Rhody.

JMU DUKES
November 13th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Rooting for the Griz; I think a Weber win slides the Wildcats up into the #2 seed and JMU to the #3, provided both win out. Wildcats lose and finish with 1 FCS loss and the Dukes keep the #2 seed as long as they take care of Richmond and Rhody.

I think the Dukes keep the #2 seed if they win out.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 13th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Thats the number I figure we will have to get to to beat you guys. We've only had two games against FCS opponents that we havent scored 37....and we won both those.

34 against EWU and 31 against SouthDakota

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thats the number I figure we will have to get to to beat you guys. We've only had two games against FCS opponents that we havent scored 37....and we won both those.

34 against EWU and 31 against SouthDakota
Are you forgetting Sac State (not that I blame you).

BadlandsGrizFan
November 13th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Are you forgetting Sac State (not that I blame you).

Sorry...I was just counting wins in my mind.....

Poorly worded

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Sneed back now?

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Sneed back now?
He came in and played for 2-ish quarters against Idaho after Humphrey got off to a rough start. Can't say for sure that he's 100% yet, but he didn't show any visible signs of the ankle injury.

THE DANIMAL
November 13th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I hope Wahlberg doesn’t frown upon me sharing all his hard work with this board but I thought it may help people out by reading this scouting report for the game. My apologies if I shouldn’t have posted it.

“The Griz are on a roll and Wa Griz will feature the biggest FCS games of the week as #3 Weber State comes to town to face off against the #5 Montana Grizzlies. Both teams are on a roll and have the Big Sky title, and a top 4 seed in their sites if they can win out. The winner of this game has the inside track to all of that – and the stage is huge.

Weber State is on a near-run like the late-2000’s Griz have been under Jay Hill. They’ve not lost to an FCS team this year. They’ve only lost 4 in-conference games in the last 4 seasons, and obviously none this year. They’ve been to the semi-finals 2 years ago and the quarter finals last year. Despite some perceived shortcomings this team just continues to win with a tough defense and a dominant run-based offense.

The last time the Griz beat Weber State? 2012. Although to be fair, these two teams haven’t met much recently. Weber beat Montana at home in 2015 early in the season, and then beat Montana in Ogden in 2017.

Interestingly enough too both teams have two star players on offense that are an unknown for this game. Josh Davis left the game last week for Weber, while as we all know Sammy Akem got hurt for us against Idaho.

Weber State Wildcats 8-2

0-6 loss @ San Diego State: Not a lot of offense in this game. SDSU had about 240 total yards while Weber had 154 total. The teams were a combined 8-35 on 3rd down. The score could have gone a little more in favor of SDSU though, Weber crossed mid-field once, and turned it over on downs. While SDSU had 3 trips into the Weber side of the field that resulted in either a turnover on downs, or a lost fumble, or the end of the game.

42-24 win vs Cal Poly: Weber just gradually pulled away from CPSLO. Weber had 275 rushing yards and held the potent Poly run game to just 164, while forcing two turnovers as well. Weber held the ball for nearly 22:00 of the final 30:00 of the game.

13-19 loss @ Nevada: Weber was up 10-9 at the half but then their offense went terribly stale with 6 of their last 7 possessions ending in punts, and just a handful of first downs total. While Nevada didn’t fare too much better they did enough to get the lead and hold on. It was a rough day in the office for the Weber offense, 62 rushing, 63 passing. While Nevada had 300 through the air. Nevada really hurt themselves int his game too, losing 3 turnovers.

29-17 win vs Northern Iowa: I think this was a game a lot of us followed, Weber stormed out to a 27-3 lead in the first half, and added a safety in the 2nd half to get to 29. UNI was able to get a little bit rolling, but not enough in the 2nd half. UNI out-gained Weber by about 100 yards total in the game. Per my math the Weber offense had -2 (yes, negative) yards in the 2nd half.

41-35 win at Idaho: Posted about this one in the Idaho report, it was a game where Weber would hold a 2 score lead, Idaho would get within 1 score, and Weber would respond to push it back to a 2 score. Idaho returned a kickoff for a TD with 1:00 to go in the game to set the final score. 35 points in the most Weber has allowed this season. Idaho had a balanced game, just about 200 rushing and 200 passing while Weber had yet another big day on the ground, 225 rushing.

29-14 win vs Southern Utah: Weber was a little sluggish to start, it was tied 7-7 at the half. But they got in gear later on, scoring 3 touchdowns (with a missed PAT and a failed 2 point attempt). SUU had 305 through the air and just 68 rushing, while Weber had 200 rushing and 140 passing. Why couldn’t SUU hang around in this game? 4 lost interceptions.

51-28 win vs Northern Arizona: Weber’s offense came alive and as the game went on they were unstoppable. This box score looks like a typical Montana game this year, Weber was down 21-14 at the half, and then would go on to out-score NAU 37-7 in the 2nd half. Weber had 440 yards RUSHING on the worst rush defense in the Big Sky, while NAU did have some success in the air, 359 passing.

36-20 win at UC Davis: In a game where I believe Weber was marked as the under dog they bucked their prior trend of giving up big passing days and held Davis to just 160 passing, while Weber passed for almost 285 themselves. Davis lost 3 turnovers and Weber held the ball for a whopping 42:00 minutes of clock time.

36-17 win at Sacramento State: While the Griz couldn’t come into Northern California and steal two wins, Weber sure could. Kevin Thompson got knocked out of the game, but at that point Weber was holding a 2-score lead anyways. It was a balanced game for Weber, 195 rushing, 177 passing and they held Sac to just 84 yards on the ground. It was another game where Weber had the ball by a large margin and forced 2 more turnovers on their opponent.

30-27 win vs North Dakota: Weber scored 10 points in essentially the last 2:50 of the game to win it, after Weber tied the game up they kicked off, and UND fumbled the ball, Weber recovers… and kicks the game winner shortly after. UND showed what’s probably needed to be in the game with Weber, they didn’t allow Weber to dominate TOP (Weber about 32:00 of TOP), UND was +2 on the game as well, and they had 299 yards passing.

-------------
General Stats

Passing yards per game Montana (175 for WEB vs 303 for UM)
Rushing yards per game WEB (188 for WEB vs 163 for UM)
Total offense Montana (363 for WEB vs 466 for UM)
Passing yards allowed per game WEB (244 for WEB vs 296 for UM)
Rushing yards allowed per game WEB (111 for WEB vs 117 for UM)
Total defense WEB (355 for WEB vs 413 for UM)

Big roll for Weber, picking up 4 to Montana’s 2. (corrected)

Offense points scored Montana (30.6 for WEB vs 38.2 for UM)
Defense points allowed WEB (20.7 for WEB vs 24.2 for UM)
Turnover margin WEB – (+13 for WEB / +4 for Montana)
Fieldgoal % WEB (86% for WEB vs 75% for UM)
Punt Returns Montana (11.5 yards for WEB vs 16.2 yards for UM)
Kick Returns Montana (21.3 yards for WEB vs 22.5 yards for UM)
T.O.P. WEB (33:26 for WEB vs 30:14 for UM)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) WEB (38% WEB / 62% UM)
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Montana (65% WEB / 66% UM)
3rd down offense Montana – (38% for WEB / 48% for UM)
3rd down defense WEB – (32% allowed for WEB vs 34% allowed for UM)

Montana adds 5 while Weber adds 6, this puts Weber with 10 to Montana’s 7. Lots of staggering advantages for Weber, including their massive +13 turnover margin (they’ve recovered 13 fumbles and only lost 3 – plus have 3 more picks forced than lost).

--------------------
Players to Watch:

#20 Josh Davis, RB: The 5-9, 195 pound running back was last years freshman of the year in the conference. While his status is a little unknown, (think I saw he’s planning to play thru an injury) he’s leading Weber with 901 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs, he’s also 4th in total receptions on the team, but just has 94 yards to go with that. He’s also a fairly dangerous kick returner, 31 yards per return average.

#27 Kris Jackson, RB: This guy is a load, he’s 5-10, 235 and is built for this type of offense. While his total yardage on the year isn’t massive at 364 yards, he does have 10 rushing TDs. Watch for this guy on short-yardage plays and goal-line plays.

#4 Kevin Smith Jr, RB: Smith will play in the stead of Davis if he’s limited and will rotate a lot in as well anyways. He’s got 504 rushing yards and 2 TDs this season so far. He’s coming off a 100 yard game against UND.

#8 Jake Constantine, QB: Constantine actually splits time with #11 Kaden Jenks a bit, but he’s the primary starter. He has missed a few games to injury so far but he’s presumably the main guy at QB. He’s averaging about 182 yards per game and has 7 TDs to 6 INTs (Jenks is averaging about 94 yards per game and has 4 TDs to 1 INT). He’s not much of a rushing threat but does have 1 rushing TD.

#3 Devin Cooley, WR: Weber’s Jeff Cotton, this guy gets the most looks, he’s got 503 yards and 2 TDs this season. He’s 6-1, 185

#22 Rashid Shaeed, WR: A guy to keep an eye on, their main returner who’s missed a handful of games with injuries. He’s got 3 receiving TDs, the most of any WR on the team. His numbers alone on punts are solid, an average of 16.8 yards per return. He’s even got a rushing TD as well.

#13 Noah Vaea, LB: Currently leading the team in tackles with 59, he’s got 5 TFLs and has both forced and recovered one fumble.

#94 Jonah Williams, DE: A 1st team all conference pick he’s got 43 tackles so far this season, and has 8.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles + 1 recovery. Dude’s a beast.

#7 Preson Smith, S: 58 tackles and 5.5 TFLs so far… and 3 forced fumbles! The Griz will need to really protect the ball around these guys.

#53 Austin Tesch, LB: Another 1st team all conference guy, he’s got just 39 tackles this year, but 6 TFLs, 1 sack, and a few defended passes.

-------------------------------

Keys to a Grizzly Victory

1. Positive turnover margin. Weber thrives on errors. If Montana has 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter again this week they’ll be dead in the water, that’s how Weber makes teams pay. We’ve seen some fumble issues of late from Knight, that can’t happen. The Griz will need to force Constantine into some errors on the other side too – and have to turn those errors into points.

2. Don’t get buried in TOP. Weber will probably win the TOP battle, but the Griz cannot let them get 35 or more minutes or else that plays right into Weber’s hands of how they win games.

3. Control the line of scrimmage. This is a tall order because I believe that Weber is better on both sides here. The Grizzly O-line has to have it’s best game yet and the Grizzly D-line cannot get shoved around. Weber wins by grinding it out and they have 3 backs to do that with. If Montana is caught trying to play catch-up in the 4th with Weber running the ball… game over for the Griz.

4. Force 3rd and medium / 3rd and long, put the game on Constantine. No one’s been able to do that this year… and no FCS team has beat Weber… can the Griz flip that script?

5. Air it out. Wish we had Sammy for this game… damnit. Weber’s defense is stout but have shown some issues with the pass game. This will be the game where it all needs to come together for the passing offense. We’ll need complete games from the full slate of guys, not just 1 or 2.

6. Flip the red zone stats. Another easier said than done. Weber is amazing on defense when teams get into the RZ. By forcing feildgoals they don’t allow teams to separate from them. If the Griz can make most all RZ trips turn into touchdowns… they’ll be in awesome shape.

7. Show who has the better punt return and coverage units, and take a kickoff to paydirt. Weber and Montana have effectively the 1st and 2nd best net punting and average punt return units. The team that can better flip the field could really have the advantage. Oddly though, Weber’s kick coverage unit has some issues, while everyone’s kicking away from Flowers… we need him to get the ball and get into the end zone.

8. Keep Sneed clean. Weber as a team is tied (with MSU) for the 3rd highest amount of sacks in the conference. The Griz are winding down facing off against some of the best pass-rushing D-lines in the conference. Sac has the most at 38, PSU 2nd at 28, MSU and Weber at 27.

9. Get back on track on 3rd down. While it’s still been ok, the Griz need to get back to their prior ways converting 3rd downs. Keeping Weber’s grind-out offense off the field is so vital in this game.

10. Rotate the defense a lot. Weber thrives on wearing down defenses. It’s time to flex the depth we have in the front 6/7 guys.

11. The Griz will need their absolute most complete game of the season to win. All facets of execution need to be at perfection. Bobby says we want to play our best football in November… it’s November, let’s go.

12. Wa Griz needs to be PACKED, it needs to be CRAZY, and it needs to be there the whole way. Weber’s offense is one that can take a crowd out of a game. Don’t let them wear down the fans too.
--------------
I think Weber holds so many advantages here that they should come away with a win. They have the right design and have shown they can be a little dangerous in other aspects of their offense that they can do enough to disrupt the Griz. They might be unphased by the crowd, while they did play in front of 40,000 at SDSU, I’d guess that was a ho-hum crowd, Nevada had less people at their game than the Cats usually have… so yeah. They could force a few turnovers, that have come up more and more for Montana of late, and they aren’t the type of team to give up leads.

However, I have a feeling about this game that I can’t shake. Montana is on a roll and guys all over are getting better each week and impacting the game like we’d not seen earlier. The crowd should be insane, the stakes will be huge but this team is in a spot it’s not been in before – it’s not backs to the wall… but rather focus on what you do best and damnit execute and get it done. These guys are in a different space than we’ve seen Griz teams in maybe almost 8 years, and I think they’ll do something special with it. The chess-match of Hauck vs Hill will be incredible, but I like our QBs, our WRs, and our defensive front better. I think when the time comes to make a play, it will happen. This will set the tone for a playoff run and it’ll happen in front of our eyes. I’ll say the Griz pull it off, in one of the most memorable games in years, 31-28.

GO GRIZ!!”

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I was a bit underwhelmed with the Weber secondary. Those kids might be in for tough day vs Griz. UND threw for 304 yards and 0 INT's with veteran receivers but a makeshift, average OL. Weber had no sacks on the day (not counting a reverse pass that go sniffed out).

There is probably going to be some points in this one.

uofmman1122
November 13th, 2019, 02:01 PM
It all depends on whether we can stop/limit their running game.

Constantine may very well go over his passing average against our suddenly suspect secondary, but I don't think he's a good enough passer to win the game on his own.

That said, our offense has to stay on the field. If we can do that, I feel like we'll have a good shot. We've played lights out at home this year, so that should help us out.

I am very nervous, however.

GreatGreatGreat
November 13th, 2019, 02:17 PM
I was a bit underwhelmed with the Weber secondary. Those kids might be in for tough day vs Griz. UND threw for 304 yards and 0 INT's with veteran receivers but a makeshift, average OL. Weber had no sacks on the day (not counting a reverse pass that go sniffed out).

There is probably going to be some points in this one.
Believe me, us Weber fans were underwhelmed as well. Our young corners played a helluva game against Sac and followed up with a total letdown. I think we got a little case of the trap game and UND is a good, improving team fighting for a playoff spot. Interestingly, I think Weber has played better on the road than at home this season. I'm going to call in 33-30 for Weber.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Believe me, us Weber fans were underwhelmed as well. Our young corners played a helluva game against Sac and followed up with a total letdown. I think we got a little case of the trap game and UND is a good, improving team fighting for a playoff spot. Interestingly, I think Weber has played better on the road than at home this season.

The anti-UND. Weird how teams do that.

Silenoz
November 13th, 2019, 02:19 PM
He's been worse than him for the last...8 years. Although, more often than not, he's been right.xlolx

See, the secret is I'll eventually be wrong, and then I can revel in success.

GreatGreatGreat
November 13th, 2019, 02:26 PM
The anti-UND. Weird how teams do that.
I understand you typically don't play well on the road but UND played great Saturday. Our offensive line looked huge compared to your defensive front but your guys would come and smack them in the face harder than anyone else I've seen this season. Your wide receivers were big strong and out-muscled our corners for every ball. I was super impressed.

Derby City Duke
November 13th, 2019, 06:25 PM
I think the Dukes keep the #2 seed if they win out.

Maybe, but Weber would have 3 top 10 wins to our 1 (that looks shakier with the way Villanova has wobbled since we beat them). Their only two losses are both FBS and they were both 6-point games. Unfortunately I think their total resume is a bit better than ours. Maybe they'll see the UND game that the Hawks choked away as a negative for WSU.

Doesn't mean the committee won't leave us at #2, just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they flipped us.

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2019, 06:54 PM
I understand you typically don't play well on the road but UND played great Saturday. Our offensive line looked huge compared to your defensive front but your guys would come and smack them in the face harder than anyone else I've seen this season. Your wide receivers were big strong and out-muscled our corners for every ball. I was super impressed.
Hope the Griz are watching that game closely. Our D-line aren't monsters, but they do play very physically and have high motors.

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Hopefully our new OL coach can get some more guys that look like yours. No idea what happened the last 2-3 years in the recruiting of lineman. The ones we got have to play their ass off to be somewhat effective.

Grizalltheway
November 13th, 2019, 07:25 PM
I hope Wahlberg doesn’t frown upon me sharing all his hard work with this board but I thought it may help people out by reading this scouting report for the game. My apologies if I shouldn’t have posted it.

“The Griz are on a roll and Wa Griz will feature the biggest FCS games of the week as #3 Weber State comes to town to face off against the #5 Montana Grizzlies. Both teams are on a roll and have the Big Sky title, and a top 4 seed in their sites if they can win out. The winner of this game has the inside track to all of that – and the stage is huge.

Weber State is on a near-run like the late-2000’s Griz have been under Jay Hill. They’ve not lost to an FCS team this year. They’ve only lost 4 in-conference games in the last 4 seasons, and obviously none this year. They’ve been to the semi-finals 2 years ago and the quarter finals last year. Despite some perceived shortcomings this team just continues to win with a tough defense and a dominant run-based offense.

The last time the Griz beat Weber State? 2012. Although to be fair, these two teams haven’t met much recently. Weber beat Montana at home in 2015 early in the season, and then beat Montana in Ogden in 2017.

Interestingly enough too both teams have two star players on offense that are an unknown for this game. Josh Davis left the game last week for Weber, while as we all know Sammy Akem got hurt for us against Idaho.

Weber State Wildcats 8-2

0-6 loss @ San Diego State: Not a lot of offense in this game. SDSU had about 240 total yards while Weber had 154 total. The teams were a combined 8-35 on 3rd down. The score could have gone a little more in favor of SDSU though, Weber crossed mid-field once, and turned it over on downs. While SDSU had 3 trips into the Weber side of the field that resulted in either a turnover on downs, or a lost fumble, or the end of the game.

42-24 win vs Cal Poly: Weber just gradually pulled away from CPSLO. Weber had 275 rushing yards and held the potent Poly run game to just 164, while forcing two turnovers as well. Weber held the ball for nearly 22:00 of the final 30:00 of the game.

13-19 loss @ Nevada: Weber was up 10-9 at the half but then their offense went terribly stale with 6 of their last 7 possessions ending in punts, and just a handful of first downs total. While Nevada didn’t fare too much better they did enough to get the lead and hold on. It was a rough day in the office for the Weber offense, 62 rushing, 63 passing. While Nevada had 300 through the air. Nevada really hurt themselves int his game too, losing 3 turnovers.

29-17 win vs Northern Iowa: I think this was a game a lot of us followed, Weber stormed out to a 27-3 lead in the first half, and added a safety in the 2nd half to get to 29. UNI was able to get a little bit rolling, but not enough in the 2nd half. UNI out-gained Weber by about 100 yards total in the game. Per my math the Weber offense had -2 (yes, negative) yards in the 2nd half.

41-35 win at Idaho: Posted about this one in the Idaho report, it was a game where Weber would hold a 2 score lead, Idaho would get within 1 score, and Weber would respond to push it back to a 2 score. Idaho returned a kickoff for a TD with 1:00 to go in the game to set the final score. 35 points in the most Weber has allowed this season. Idaho had a balanced game, just about 200 rushing and 200 passing while Weber had yet another big day on the ground, 225 rushing.

29-14 win vs Southern Utah: Weber was a little sluggish to start, it was tied 7-7 at the half. But they got in gear later on, scoring 3 touchdowns (with a missed PAT and a failed 2 point attempt). SUU had 305 through the air and just 68 rushing, while Weber had 200 rushing and 140 passing. Why couldn’t SUU hang around in this game? 4 lost interceptions.

51-28 win vs Northern Arizona: Weber’s offense came alive and as the game went on they were unstoppable. This box score looks like a typical Montana game this year, Weber was down 21-14 at the half, and then would go on to out-score NAU 37-7 in the 2nd half. Weber had 440 yards RUSHING on the worst rush defense in the Big Sky, while NAU did have some success in the air, 359 passing.

36-20 win at UC Davis: In a game where I believe Weber was marked as the under dog they bucked their prior trend of giving up big passing days and held Davis to just 160 passing, while Weber passed for almost 285 themselves. Davis lost 3 turnovers and Weber held the ball for a whopping 42:00 minutes of clock time.

36-17 win at Sacramento State: While the Griz couldn’t come into Northern California and steal two wins, Weber sure could. Kevin Thompson got knocked out of the game, but at that point Weber was holding a 2-score lead anyways. It was a balanced game for Weber, 195 rushing, 177 passing and they held Sac to just 84 yards on the ground. It was another game where Weber had the ball by a large margin and forced 2 more turnovers on their opponent.

30-27 win vs North Dakota: Weber scored 10 points in essentially the last 2:50 of the game to win it, after Weber tied the game up they kicked off, and UND fumbled the ball, Weber recovers… and kicks the game winner shortly after. UND showed what’s probably needed to be in the game with Weber, they didn’t allow Weber to dominate TOP (Weber about 32:00 of TOP), UND was +2 on the game as well, and they had 299 yards passing.

-------------
General Stats

Passing yards per game Montana (175 for WEB vs 303 for UM)
Rushing yards per game WEB (188 for WEB vs 163 for UM)
Total offense Montana (363 for WEB vs 466 for UM)
Passing yards allowed per game WEB (244 for WEB vs 296 for UM)
Rushing yards allowed per game WEB (111 for WEB vs 117 for UM)
Total defense WEB (355 for WEB vs 413 for UM)

Big roll for Weber, picking up 4 to Montana’s 2. (corrected)

Offense points scored Montana (30.6 for WEB vs 38.2 for UM)
Defense points allowed WEB (20.7 for WEB vs 24.2 for UM)
Turnover margin WEB – (+13 for WEB / +4 for Montana)
Fieldgoal % WEB (86% for WEB vs 75% for UM)
Punt Returns Montana (11.5 yards for WEB vs 16.2 yards for UM)
Kick Returns Montana (21.3 yards for WEB vs 22.5 yards for UM)
T.O.P. WEB (33:26 for WEB vs 30:14 for UM)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) WEB (38% WEB / 62% UM)
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Montana (65% WEB / 66% UM)
3rd down offense Montana – (38% for WEB / 48% for UM)
3rd down defense WEB – (32% allowed for WEB vs 34% allowed for UM)

Montana adds 5 while Weber adds 6, this puts Weber with 10 to Montana’s 7. Lots of staggering advantages for Weber, including their massive +13 turnover margin (they’ve recovered 13 fumbles and only lost 3 – plus have 3 more picks forced than lost).

--------------------
Players to Watch:

#20 Josh Davis, RB: The 5-9, 195 pound running back was last years freshman of the year in the conference. While his status is a little unknown, (think I saw he’s planning to play thru an injury) he’s leading Weber with 901 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs, he’s also 4th in total receptions on the team, but just has 94 yards to go with that. He’s also a fairly dangerous kick returner, 31 yards per return average.

#27 Kris Jackson, RB: This guy is a load, he’s 5-10, 235 and is built for this type of offense. While his total yardage on the year isn’t massive at 364 yards, he does have 10 rushing TDs. Watch for this guy on short-yardage plays and goal-line plays.

#4 Kevin Smith Jr, RB: Smith will play in the stead of Davis if he’s limited and will rotate a lot in as well anyways. He’s got 504 rushing yards and 2 TDs this season so far. He’s coming off a 100 yard game against UND.

#8 Jake Constantine, QB: Constantine actually splits time with #11 Kaden Jenks a bit, but he’s the primary starter. He has missed a few games to injury so far but he’s presumably the main guy at QB. He’s averaging about 182 yards per game and has 7 TDs to 6 INTs (Jenks is averaging about 94 yards per game and has 4 TDs to 1 INT). He’s not much of a rushing threat but does have 1 rushing TD.

#3 Devin Cooley, WR: Weber’s Jeff Cotton, this guy gets the most looks, he’s got 503 yards and 2 TDs this season. He’s 6-1, 185

#22 Rashid Shaeed, WR: A guy to keep an eye on, their main returner who’s missed a handful of games with injuries. He’s got 3 receiving TDs, the most of any WR on the team. His numbers alone on punts are solid, an average of 16.8 yards per return. He’s even got a rushing TD as well.

#13 Noah Vaea, LB: Currently leading the team in tackles with 59, he’s got 5 TFLs and has both forced and recovered one fumble.

#94 Jonah Williams, DE: A 1st team all conference pick he’s got 43 tackles so far this season, and has 8.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles + 1 recovery. Dude’s a beast.

#7 Preson Smith, S: 58 tackles and 5.5 TFLs so far… and 3 forced fumbles! The Griz will need to really protect the ball around these guys.

#53 Austin Tesch, LB: Another 1st team all conference guy, he’s got just 39 tackles this year, but 6 TFLs, 1 sack, and a few defended passes.

-------------------------------

Keys to a Grizzly Victory

1. Positive turnover margin. Weber thrives on errors. If Montana has 3 turnovers in the 1st quarter again this week they’ll be dead in the water, that’s how Weber makes teams pay. We’ve seen some fumble issues of late from Knight, that can’t happen. The Griz will need to force Constantine into some errors on the other side too – and have to turn those errors into points.

2. Don’t get buried in TOP. Weber will probably win the TOP battle, but the Griz cannot let them get 35 or more minutes or else that plays right into Weber’s hands of how they win games.

3. Control the line of scrimmage. This is a tall order because I believe that Weber is better on both sides here. The Grizzly O-line has to have it’s best game yet and the Grizzly D-line cannot get shoved around. Weber wins by grinding it out and they have 3 backs to do that with. If Montana is caught trying to play catch-up in the 4th with Weber running the ball… game over for the Griz.

4. Force 3rd and medium / 3rd and long, put the game on Constantine. No one’s been able to do that this year… and no FCS team has beat Weber… can the Griz flip that script?

5. Air it out. Wish we had Sammy for this game… damnit. Weber’s defense is stout but have shown some issues with the pass game. This will be the game where it all needs to come together for the passing offense. We’ll need complete games from the full slate of guys, not just 1 or 2.

6. Flip the red zone stats. Another easier said than done. Weber is amazing on defense when teams get into the RZ. By forcing feildgoals they don’t allow teams to separate from them. If the Griz can make most all RZ trips turn into touchdowns… they’ll be in awesome shape.

7. Show who has the better punt return and coverage units, and take a kickoff to paydirt. Weber and Montana have effectively the 1st and 2nd best net punting and average punt return units. The team that can better flip the field could really have the advantage. Oddly though, Weber’s kick coverage unit has some issues, while everyone’s kicking away from Flowers… we need him to get the ball and get into the end zone.

8. Keep Sneed clean. Weber as a team is tied (with MSU) for the 3rd highest amount of sacks in the conference. The Griz are winding down facing off against some of the best pass-rushing D-lines in the conference. Sac has the most at 38, PSU 2nd at 28, MSU and Weber at 27.

9. Get back on track on 3rd down. While it’s still been ok, the Griz need to get back to their prior ways converting 3rd downs. Keeping Weber’s grind-out offense off the field is so vital in this game.

10. Rotate the defense a lot. Weber thrives on wearing down defenses. It’s time to flex the depth we have in the front 6/7 guys.

11. The Griz will need their absolute most complete game of the season to win. All facets of execution need to be at perfection. Bobby says we want to play our best football in November… it’s November, let’s go.

12. Wa Griz needs to be PACKED, it needs to be CRAZY, and it needs to be there the whole way. Weber’s offense is one that can take a crowd out of a game. Don’t let them wear down the fans too.
--------------
I think Weber holds so many advantages here that they should come away with a win. They have the right design and have shown they can be a little dangerous in other aspects of their offense that they can do enough to disrupt the Griz. They might be unphased by the crowd, while they did play in front of 40,000 at SDSU, I’d guess that was a ho-hum crowd, Nevada had less people at their game than the Cats usually have… so yeah. They could force a few turnovers, that have come up more and more for Montana of late, and they aren’t the type of team to give up leads.

However, I have a feeling about this game that I can’t shake. Montana is on a roll and guys all over are getting better each week and impacting the game like we’d not seen earlier. The crowd should be insane, the stakes will be huge but this team is in a spot it’s not been in before – it’s not backs to the wall… but rather focus on what you do best and damnit execute and get it done. These guys are in a different space than we’ve seen Griz teams in maybe almost 8 years, and I think they’ll do something special with it. The chess-match of Hauck vs Hill will be incredible, but I like our QBs, our WRs, and our defensive front better. I think when the time comes to make a play, it will happen. This will set the tone for a playoff run and it’ll happen in front of our eyes. I’ll say the Griz pull it off, in one of the most memorable games in years, 31-28.

GO GRIZ!!”

Another interesting stat to add to this: the Griz have outscored their opponents 234-80 in the second half this year.

F'N Hawks
November 14th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Was just running through resumes and Montana has a 'UND-2016-like' resume going (lots of wins vs poor/decent teams). These next two weeks will be interesting for them.

100%GRIZ
November 14th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I believe Defense will win or lose this one! Griz win at home!

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Was just running through resumes and Montana has a 'UND-2016-like' resume going (lots of wins vs poor/decent teams). These next two weeks will be interesting for them.
UND also had a lot of close games against those poor/decent teams. All of Montana's wins have been by at least two touchdowns. But yes, the next two games will show us what they're really made of.

putter
November 14th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Sagarin has Montana ranked 3rd on SOS and Weber 4th in the FCS .....

I think Montana wins with home field advantage. Will be a barn burner

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2019, 04:55 PM
Are SRO tickets gone for this one yet?

GetEmGriz
November 14th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Are SRO tickets gone for this one yet?

No, and it's probably not going to be a sellout. The ticket office is currently selling 50% off tickets in the south endzone to try and get people to pack the stadium.

MSUBobcat
November 15th, 2019, 10:54 AM
No, and it's probably not going to be a sellout. The ticket office is currently selling 50% off tickets in the south endzone to try and get people to pack the stadium.

Seriously??? Senior Day, top 5 match up, and the weather is expected to be fairly mild (mid-40s, dry, little wind). Has attendance been down all year?

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Seriously??? Senior Day, top 5 match up, and the weather is expected to be fairly mild (mid-40s, dry, little wind). Has attendance been down all year?
Yep. Pretty sad to see but I think there's a perfect storm of factors right now-enrollment down, aging fan base, national trend of people preferring to stay home and watch, etc.

CappinHard
November 15th, 2019, 11:26 AM

"Was trying to figure out how to make my team relevant to this discussion. Had to go back to 2016 to find something, but I found it."

Grizalltheway
November 15th, 2019, 11:31 AM
"Was trying to figure out how to make my team relevant to this discussion. Had to go back to 2016 to find something, but I found it."

They beat the cats, so he gets a pass in my book. xlolx

F'N Hawks
November 15th, 2019, 12:12 PM

That's all we heard about even into the next season. So it seemed applicable when looking at resumes.
Sorry to bring up something you didn't like, boss.

Daytripper
November 15th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Yep. Pretty sad to see but I think there's a perfect storm of factors right now-enrollment down, aging fan base, national trend of people preferring to stay home and watch, etc.

At some point in the future, all games will be played in front of a green screen with placement advertising in the background focused on those watching at home.

I Bleed Purple
November 16th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Had a comforting thought as I was in bed last night, well, at least in regards to fandom for me for this game. Weber has only had one game against FCS this year where the outcome was in doubt. Why should that change today?

I Bleed Purple
November 16th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Punched in the mouth. "Winning" the boneheaded plays 3-0. Let's see how they react.

CopperCat
November 16th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Weber mailed in the first half, hopefully the second half is a different story.

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Weber mailed in the first half, hopefully the second half is a different story.

Hope in one hand, **** in the other

I Bleed Purple
November 16th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Punched in the mouth. "Winning" the boneheaded plays 3-0. Let's see how they react.

Not well.

I Bleed Purple
November 16th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Head was up. Looks fine. Predict it will still stand and it will be called targeting anyway.

EDIT: Wow, they got it right.

putter
November 16th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Griz physically getting after Weber. They want no part and are punting down 35-3

Silenoz
November 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM
A pleasant surprise

CopperCat
November 16th, 2019, 05:13 PM

The out of state “residents” that have no ties to the area other than an insatiable thirst for consuming available land and property are also part of the reason why stadiums aren’t full on Saturdays.

JacksFan40
November 16th, 2019, 05:15 PM
I picked Montana to win but I didn’t see this coming.

Bisonator
November 16th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Wow great win for the Griz!

GreatGreatGreat
November 16th, 2019, 05:20 PM
What a butt kicking. Special teams and turnover really let us down today(usual strengths). I can’t say I’m totally surprised as I’ve seen many a good team walk into that stadium and collapse. Kudos to the Griz who played with energy and toughness.

Roamingriz
November 16th, 2019, 05:34 PM
The out of state “residents” that have no ties to the area other than an insatiable thirst for consuming available land and property are also part of the reason why stadiums aren’t full on Saturdays.

That's a good take coppercat. In Missoula and Bozeman that is especially true. Fans watch from home. Especially when a cheap ticket is 40 + 4 dollar fee for a deal home game when other home games go for 50+.

veinup
November 16th, 2019, 05:40 PM
didn’t see that coming.

hope the injured weber fellas make speedy recoveries.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2019, 06:35 PM
I was not expecting that ass-whooping, but we certainly match up well with Weber. They looked like the better team that was just making too many mistakes in the first half, but looked totally over-matched in the second half, especially against our defense.

Holding them to 69 rushing yards is insane.

Awesome win against a really good team.

Feels amazing to be in the driver's seat for the conference championship again.

Had a comforting thought as I was in bed last night, well, at least in regards to fandom for me for this game. Weber has only had one game against FCS this year where the outcome was in doubt. Why should that change today?
Looks like it didn't. xlolx

Schism55
November 16th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Congrats on the big win Grizz! Enjoy it tonight xdrunkyx

POD Knows
November 16th, 2019, 06:58 PM
It would be great if the Griz got in as a 4 seed and Bison were at #1 and met in the semi's, maybe 15,000 would show up for the game.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Montana has to be the #3 seed if they beat Montana St don't they??? Their win over Monmouth keeps looking better and better and their win over Weber is one of the most impressive beatdowns in the FCS this year.

Might be a good year for playoff attendance figures if NDSU, JMU, and Montana all host multiple playoff games.

dewey
November 16th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Montana has to be the #3 seed if they beat Montana St don't they??? Their win over Monmouth keeps looking better and better and their win over Weber is one of the most impressive beatdowns in the FCS this year.

Might be a good year for playoff attendance figures if NDSU, JMU, and Montana all host multiple playoff games.

I agree that Montana should be the #3 seed. They have impressive wins over Monmouth and Weber State and they only have 1 FCS loss (against a very good Sacramento State team).

Montana has a better resume than SDSU IMHO.

Sacramento State will have a legitimate claims to the #3 spot with their as they only have 3 losses (2 FBS and 1 to Weber State) and a 49-22 win over the Grizzlies.

I could see Sacramento State at #3, Montana at #4, Illinois State at #5 and SDSU at #6...Weber State somewhere in there as well.

Dewey

veinup
November 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM
definitely feels like the biggest griz win in recent memory.

i hope silenoz is happy out there. 😎😎

SeattleGriz
November 16th, 2019, 07:37 PM
It would be great if the Griz got in as a 4 seed and Bison were at #1 and met in the semi's, maybe 15,000 would show up for the game.

GreatGreatGreat
November 16th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Honestly, how far do you feel Weber drops? I still believe they are a top 10 team and deserve a seed. (Maybe 4-8). A lot of teams piss down their legs in Montana. It’s a different environment for FCS. Many of Weber’s players have never been to WA-Griz as we have an extremely young team. We seem to be in a slump after the big Sac win. I hope this is a wake up call.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2019, 08:04 PM
Honestly, how far do you feel Weber drops? I still believe they are a top 10 team and deserve a seed. (Maybe 4-8). A lot of teams piss down their legs in Montana. It’s a different environment for FCS. Many of Weber’s players have never been to WA-Griz as we have an extremely young team. We seem to be in a slump after the big Sac win. I hope this is a wake up call.
Hard to drop them further than to #4 or #5 IMO. They still have wins over Sac St (on the road) and UNI which are both top 10 teams still.

dewey
November 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Hard to drop them further than to #4 or #5 IMO. They still have wins over Sac St (on the road) and UNI which are both top 10 teams still.

I would agree. They have 2 very good wins despite a loss in Missoula.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
November 16th, 2019, 08:12 PM

Going into week 12, I see it as this for seed purposes:

1: NDSU
2: JMU
3: Sac St/UM
4: Sac St/UM
5: WSU
6: ISUr
7: SDSU
8: SELA/APSU

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2019, 10:25 PM

The bigger question is how damaging Weber's injuries from today's game were. A lot of players went down, and Shaheed had to be carted off.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2019, 10:30 PM
I agree that Montana should be the #3 seed. They have impressive wins over Monmouth and Weber State and they only have 1 FCS loss (against a very good Sacramento State team).

Sacramento State will have a legitimate claims to the #3 spot with their as they only have 3 losses (2 FBS and 1 to Weber State) and a 49-22 win over the Grizzlies.

I could see Sacramento State at #3, Montana at #4, Illinois State at #5 and SDSU at #6...Weber State somewhere in there as well.

DeweyI will be absolutely shocked if some team as bad as ISRr gets a 5 seed. Beam me the hell up. They should have lost today to MSU.

POD Knows
November 16th, 2019, 10:31 PM
15,001.We would probably have an ice fishing opener or something that would draw the attendance down. 15,723

JacksFan40
November 16th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Dewey
I’d be perfectly fine with going to Sacramento over Fargo. Of course the committee will probably put SDSU as a 4 or 5 seed just so they can send em to Fargo.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 17th, 2019, 12:33 PM
I’d be perfectly fine with going to Sacramento over Fargo. Of course the committee will probably put SDSU as a 4 or 5 seed just so they can send em to Fargo.

Yes, that is how they do it. xlolx

Weber, damn good size and speed and just had one of those games like we did against Sac St. Good team and hope that rash of injuries is small bumps and bruises for you guys.

GreatGreatGreat
November 17th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Yes, that is how they do it. xlolx

Weber, damn good size and speed and just had one of those games like we did against Sac St. Good team and hope that rash of injuries is small bumps and bruises for you guys.

Yeah the more I looked at the replay. We really hurt ourselves over and over again. Two fumbled punts gave a free 14 points. Bad block below the waist that took 7 off for us. Constantine throwing a pick into the end zone. All errors tha were unforced. On the other hand Montana did their homework and knew our corners were susceptible to the slant. I’m sure we’ll be correcting that all week. Montana was also aggressive and tougher. Our guys looked timid. Our receivers dropped many easy passes because they saw how hard your safeties were popping. I’m sure Shaheed is likely out for the rest of the year but hopeful the rest can be back by the playoffs.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Yeah the more I looked at the replay. We really hurt ourselves over and over again. Two fumbled punts gave a free 14 points. Bad block below the waist that took 7 off for us. Constantine throwing a pick into the end zone. All errors tha were unforced. On the other hand Montana did their homework and knew our corners were susceptible to the slant. I’m sure we’ll be correcting that all week. Montana was also aggressive and tougher. Our guys looked timid. Our receivers dropped many easy passes because they saw how hard your safeties were popping. I’m sure Shaheed is likely out for the rest of the year but hopeful the rest can be back by the playoffs.
As much as I enjoyed the game, you guys certainly aren't as bad as you looked yesterday. Like Ursus said, sometimes you just step on your dick against a good team and they make you pay. Weber will still be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2019, 06:03 PM
As much as I enjoyed the game, you guys certainly aren't as bad as you looked yesterday. Like Ursus said, sometimes you just step on your dick against a good team and they make you pay. Weber will still be a tough out for anyone in the playoffs.
This is exactly what happened to us against Sac. It's pretty hard to win when you can't get out of your own way. I actually thought Weber looked like the better team (that kept tripping over their dick) in the first half yesterday. Not in the 2nd half, though. lol

GreatGreatGreat
November 17th, 2019, 06:10 PM
This is exactly what happened to us against Sac. It's pretty hard to win when you can't get out of your own way. I actually thought Weber looked like the better team (that kept tripping over their dick) in the first half yesterday. Not in the 2nd half, though. lol
Wow thanks for thinking our dick is big enough to trip over! xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 17th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Wow thanks for thinking our dick is big enough to trip over! xlolx

It's the really short legs that gets it done.:D

You mentioned the dropped passes and that really could have been a factor because as always once we're up and you have to pass it's pin the ears back time and that is what happened. You would have had more control of your outcome if two passes had not been dropped and the thing is that those were pretty well delivered by Constantine too.

GreatGreatGreat
November 17th, 2019, 10:15 PM
It's the really short legs that gets it done.:D

You mentioned the dropped passes and that really could have been a factor because as always once we're up and you have to pass it's pin the ears back time and that is what happened. You would have had more control of your outcome if two passes had not been dropped and the thing is that those were pretty well delivered by Constantine too.
There’s no doubt in my mind. Slow motion replays for Ames and Malone showed them taking their eyes off the ball and bracing for contact that didn’t come. It’s somewhat refreshing to see good hard tackling. Also, our RBs are pretty good at getting yards after contact but you guys would put them down immediately.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2019, 12:21 AM
There’s no doubt in my mind. Slow motion replays for Ames and Malone showed them taking their eyes off the ball and bracing for contact that didn’t come. It’s somewhat refreshing to see good hard tackling. Also, our RBs are pretty good at getting yards after contact but you guys would put them down immediately.

This is more like the ball played a decade ago. One guy gets there and does fundamental tackling and others swarm immediately. That is what we used to be and it looks to be what we can be again. A lot of times one guy gets them down as you pointed out and I am still surprised a little bit because we just haven't been in position or just didn't get the opposition down when he opportunity was there.

Off topic, that 91 for you guys is one big, thick mofo that can move pretty good. xlolx

79 also. Didn't look up names just remember the numbers.