PDA

View Full Version : #4 Northern Iowa at #9 South Dakota St

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Game of the week in the MVFC with big playoff implications amongst the seeds. As crazy as this sounded a week ago SDSU may even be in a must win scenario next week at rival USD to make the playoffs if they drop this one. UNI doesn't really need this to get into the playoffs (I think they could still be a seed even with a loss) but they could play themselves into a top 4 seed and homefield guaranteed until the FCS semis at least if they win it.

Despite SDSU's surprising loss last week they're still favored by 6 points in this game by 5dimes and Massey and by about 4.5 points by Sagarin. Here's how they stack up statistically:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49054673851_9497c9d4e2_o.jpg

Neither team is playing particularly well offensively right now and these are two elite defenses so the 5dimes O/U of 42.5 might even be a bit high in this one.

I think turnovers, as they usually are, are going to be key in this one but especially from SDSU's perspective. UNI is +12 on turnover margin on the year and SDSU was doomed by 4 turnovers last week. I think both defenses are capable of shutting down the other's ground game forcing the opposing offense to be one-dimensional. UNI probably has the better passing game right now but I think SDSU gets a little more traction on the ground against the UNI defense than the UNI offense gets on the SDSU defense and that gives the Jacks the advantage in this one. If SDSU avoids turnovers I think they win a low scoring slobberknocker.

What's your thoughts/prediction?

Bison56
November 12th, 2019, 08:57 AM
I picked UNI, but I wont be surprised if SDSU wins by double digits.

Bisonator
November 12th, 2019, 09:02 AM
If the bunny turds can stop turning the damn ball over they can win this game. Big if I know. I have a hard time picking UNI because well they Farley it up too many times. I think they are a year away from being really tough, especially with the FR QB. Their run game is not nearly as good as SDSU's. Give me Strong and the jacks in a close one.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Jacks roll big 28-14 #BOOKIT

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Another thing I'll say is SDSU needs to stay committed to the run game even if they're having tough sledding. They cannot get into too many obvious passing situations not just because they have a true freshman QB but because their O-line has really struggled to pass block at times this year and UNI has a guy named Elerson Smith who already has 12 sacks and 8 QB hurries (along with 4 forced fumbles) on the season.

Jacks roll big 28-14 #BOOKIT
Well ****! Can I change my pick?

cx500d
November 12th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Will SDSU suffer for their Stig-ma or will uni Farley up another game?

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2019, 10:03 AM
State College of Iowa

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Another thing I'll say is SDSU needs to stay committed to the run game even if they're having tough sledding. They cannot get into too many obvious passing situations not just because they have a true freshman QB but because their O-line has really struggled to pass block at times this year and UNI has a guy named Elerson Smith who already has 12 sacks and 8 QB hurries (along with 4 forced fumbles) on the season.

Well ****! Can I change my pick?If you got SDSU it is a lock, not necessarily a must win for SDSU but a pretty big game nonetheless, they will be focused and probably run for 300 yards. #BOOKIT

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Will SDSU suffer for their Stig-ma or will uni Farley up another game?SDSU wins by two TD's, both trick plays by the offensive genius Stig, #BOOKIT

CappinHard
November 12th, 2019, 10:13 AM
The fact that UNI is +12 in turnovers scares me. That has been our achilles heel all year. Imo if we win the turnover battle or at least keep it even, we win the game. Easier said than done.

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2019, 12:03 PM
We always suck against UNI it seems like. Hopefully the team realizes they absolutely need to win this game and plays like they did against NDSU. But if we lose this I predict we’ll lose to USD as well.

cx500d
November 12th, 2019, 09:35 PM
We always suck against UNI it seems like. Hopefully the team realizes they absolutely need to win this game and plays like they did against NDSU. But if we lose this I predict we’ll lose to USD as well.
So you want to lose

BisonBacker
November 12th, 2019, 10:10 PM
I'm picking the junior college in Iowa to take this one. SDSU is too banged up on offense IMHO

NDSU1980
November 12th, 2019, 10:14 PM
SDSU wins, but not by much.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2019, 05:52 AM
I'm picking the junior college in Iowa to take this one. SDSU is too banged up on offense IMHO

I picked UNI also but this one could go either way.

clawman
November 13th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Well coached teams do not lose 2x in a row. I would expect the rabbits to be ready to play and "next man up" will cover their injuries.
SDSU by 2 scores.

that guy
November 13th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Well coached teams do not lose 2x in a row. I would expect the rabbits to be ready to play and "next man up" will cover their injuries.
SDSU by 2 scores.
so if they lose they are not well coached? You should check out the sdsu Ill.St. thread and read about sdsu coaching there it is entertaining.

CappinHard
November 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM
so if they lose they are not well coached? You should check out the sdsu Ill.St. thread and read about sdsu coaching there it is entertaining.

It's one Jacks fan saying Stig should go... It's hilarious how people take one person's opinion and just run with it.

Derby City Duke
November 13th, 2019, 06:38 PM
I think home field is just enough to get SDSU over the hump. Jackrabbits by 4.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2019, 08:17 PM
In an effort to boost attendance the South Dakota State athletic department reached out to Cap'n Cat. After much debate he decided that he would attend the game. I agreed to attend as his personal security guard, so if you don't have tickets be sure to get them soon because it will probably sell out now.

Cap'n Cat
November 14th, 2019, 08:36 PM
In an effort to boost attendance the South Dakota State athletic department reached out to Cap'n Cat. After much debate he decided that he would attend the game. I agreed to attend as his personal security guard, so if you don't have tickets be sure to get them soon because it will probably sell out now.

😆😆😊

JacksFan40
November 14th, 2019, 10:53 PM
So you want to lose
If you look at it that way I guess you’re right.

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Start of 4th qtr, Jack's force a fumble, and Jack's do a scoop n score. 3rd Cat TO. Jack's lead 24-7.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
November 16th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Tailgating was a blast and the weather was great. Got to meet and tailgate with Cap’n and Rob. They both had my meat in their mouth and said it was delicious. That is all I have to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2019, 05:48 PM
I said the other meat tasted better but yours was more tender. ;)

SDSU fans are always wonderful hosts, regardless of the fact that UNI always gets slaughtered when I visit.

Maybe I'll come to the Butler game next year.

Bisonator
November 16th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Didn't see that score happening. Congrats to the wabbits on a big win!

Thumper 76
November 16th, 2019, 06:12 PM

SDSU fans are always wonderful hosts, regardless of the fact that UNI always gets slaughtered when I visit.

Maybe I'll come to the Butler game next year.

That is true. On the plus side you had sideline passes and got to be heckled the whole game though. So that’s a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
November 16th, 2019, 06:30 PM
Big win by the Jacks. Defense played lights out.

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Thanks, SDSU, for letting NDSU win the conference title outright at home on our Senior night.

In hindsight, it's hard to see how UNI won as many games as they did with only 322 yards and 24 points per game.

uni88
November 16th, 2019, 07:40 PM

Maybe I'll come to the Butler game next year.So Thumper's meat was soft? :D

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NDSUtk
November 16th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Heard Strong was injured during this game. Any insight into what happened and his status?

2002jack
November 16th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Heard Strong was injured during this game. Any insight into what happened and his status?

He left in the 1st quarter. Lower leg injury of some kind.

NDSUtk
November 16th, 2019, 09:21 PM
He left in the 1st quarter. Lower leg injury of some kind.Damn sorry to hear that. Hope he makes it back for the playoffs. He's a good runner to watch.

Theee Catrabbit
November 16th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Rabbits continue to get some things done with injuries at key positions. Heide looks like he'll be ready by playoffs and the Blakely kid showed some great flashes coming in for Strong. WR corps is the only thing that remains healthy. Starting to think most defenses would prefer if Strong would remain in, getting hammered into by Mikey Daniel from the Wildcat time after time has got to start hurting.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I admit the margin of victory in this one was a surprise at least for me....

BisonBacker
November 17th, 2019, 08:50 AM
UNI Farley'd again xlolx or you could just say "F'd" LOL

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2019, 09:19 AM
So Thumper's meat was soft? :D

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It was moist and tender. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 17th, 2019, 09:32 AM
UNI Farley'd again xlolx or you could just say "F'd" LOL

UNI = Paper tiger

??

SDSU stepped up and won. Good win for them.

Cap'n Cat
November 19th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Great buncha heckler-hosts. Come on down next year. 👍👍👍👍