Power Poll
1 - Furman - Still on top
2 - Wofford - Still right there
3 - The Citadel - Rested this past week, but still in the hunt
4 - Chattanooga - Playing for pride now
5 - Samford - woulda, coulda, shoulda
6 - Mercer - Banged up and got thumped
7 - VMI - Also got thumped
8 - Western Carolina - Have they started to put it together?
9 - ETSU - The hard luck story...beats the possible OVC champ and goes 0-7 in conf...albeit losing by an average score of 5 except the Wofford game; they were right there in so many games

Predictions
VMI @ Army - Army is 4-6 and trying to get bowl eligible; they started out great but have fallen off; still a tall order for VMI...now if they defend like they did against us, then they have a shot - 38-21
Mercer @ ETSU - It may be close, but I think ETSU will be up for NOT going winless this year in conf - 28-24
Furman @ Wofford - Wow, it will be a knock down drag out fight, but I think Furman will pour it on; turnovers may very well dictate outcome (I will be routing for Wofford obviously) - 37-27
Samford @ Western Carolina - Western may be settling down, but Samford will not go quietly, Dogs by a bit - 41-32
The Citadel @ Chattanooga - Dogs know they have to win to stay alive; Chatty's O has been improving steadily; it will be another close one - 31-28

Playoffs
I think everyone knows the score; Furman Wins, they get Auto. Wofford wins, the outcome is delayed a week. The Citadel loses to Chatty, they are done, but can play spoiler to Wofford next week. The Citadel wins both weeks AND Wofford wins this week, The Citadel takes Auto. Furman wins this week and The Citadel wins both weeks, the Dogs have a good shot for at large at 8-4, a 6 game win streak, and a P5 victory. Wofford loses to Furman but beats The Citadel, they have at large shot. Wofford loses to both, they are done. Wofford wins both, they obviously get Auto. I think that covers it.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2019, 09:11 PM
1/2) Wofford/Furman
3/4) citadel/Chatt
5-9) enjoy basketball season, the remaining games are FBS or inconsequential.

Picks:
Army: Keydet defense is terrible, just terrible

ETSU: finally get over the hump

Western: Hatcher's Glory days are over

Citadel: Chattanooga without Ford will be different. Wouldn't be surprised with an upset

Wofford: homer pick, but the Terriers early season losses, overall record, and stats skewed by playing Clemson don't tell the full story of how good this team is, and consistently getting better. In the last 3 FCS games Joe Newman is 31/52 431 yards and 3 TDs while also rushing for 177 and 5 TDs.

The socon is in the midst of a runningback Renaissance, and though we haven't played Furman or the Citadel yet, we are averaging only 3.1 ypc against FCS competition and about 100 yards per game on defense (taking out the Clemson game, obviously). That's like 60 ypg better than the next team. Furman on the other hand, weirdly enough gives up 180 ypg against FCS competition, when they've been up big in a lot of games.

At the end of the day, this one will come down to turnovers. The Terriers have turned the ball over 7 times all year. 4 times against SC State, a fumble against Gardner Webb, a pick on a hail Mary at the end of half against ETSU and a pick against Clemson. I see us taking care of the ball, getting some stops, and winning a big one at home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PaladinNation
November 11th, 2019, 10:22 PM
I might be wrong but I don't think the WC/FU game will come down to turnovers… but you never know.

My guess special teams, Furman's offensive line play, and how does the Terrier D matchup with Furman's backs and receivers in the passing game?

bonarae
November 12th, 2019, 01:50 AM
Army
ETSU
Wofford
Samford
The Citadel

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2019, 05:17 AM
The socon is in the midst of a runningback Renaissance, and though we haven't played Furman or the Citadel yet, we are averaging only 3.1 ypc against FCS competition and about 100 yards per game on defense (taking out the Clemson game, obviously). That's like 60 ypg better than the next team. Furman on the other hand, weirdly enough gives up 180 ypg against FCS competition, when they've been up big in a lot of games.

At the end of the day, this one will come down to turnovers. The Terriers have turned the ball over 7 times all year. 4 times against SC State, a fumble against Gardner Webb, a pick on a hail Mary at the end of half against ETSU and a pick against Clemson. I see us taking care of the ball, getting some stops, and winning a big one at home.

I think statistics can be made to fit a narrative you want to tell.

Furman is a little bit of an odd duck. They have been statistically the top defense in the SoCon by a wide margin.

Furman tends to surrender more yards and points early in contests. They are prone to giving up early scores. Not sure why. Most of the yards teams are able to put up come early in the game. What is staggering, though, is how dominant they are in the second half. The Citadel is the FCS team to score double digits on the Paladins in the second half, and I would argue that had more to do with short fields due to offensive inefficiency than anything Furman's defense did. They've shut out four teams in the second half, including VMI last week - an objectively good offense. If you are going to get to Furman, you have to get to them early.

Wofford's run defense obviously comes with the big asterisk that they haven't played Furman or the Citadel. With all due respect to Aliym Ford, Tyray Devezin, and Alex Ramsey, I think the Terriers are about to see the SoCon's best running back - Devin Wynn. Wynn has close to a 100 yard per game average on far fewer carries and over a 7 yard per rush average.

Big picture, Wofford cannot chase this game. They have to find a way to stop Furman's offense and try to disrupt the rhythm of the passing game. The Paladins are excellent at playing with a lead and shutting teams down in the second half.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2019, 05:30 AM
I might be wrong but I don't think the WC/FU game will come down to turnovers… but you never know.

My guess special teams, Furman's offensive line play, and how does the Terrier D matchup with Furman's backs and receivers in the passing game?

Furman has to stop Wofford's edge game. The Terrier offense isn't going to scheme you to death - they have an inside zone run, a lot of max protect single read pass plays, and then try to beat teams to the edge with their speed. The offense reminds me a lot of the Jayson Foster era offense under Chris Hatcher at Georgia Southern. They'll get their yards, but Furman needs to keep them from popping big plays.

Offensively, Furman just needs to stay on schedule. The offense, when clicking, is just so tough to defend. They put a lot of pressure on linebackers to step up against the run and also cover backs coming out of the backfield. The Paladins just have to stay out of predictable passing situations and complete their throws.

ElCid
November 12th, 2019, 05:55 AM

I don't think so either....that's why it probably will.xnodx All this season the unexpected keeps happening and I am just going with it and not fighting it any more. Seriously, it will come down to who commits the least errors in turnovers and yeah, special teams as well.

FUBeAR
November 12th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Furman has to stop Wofford's edge game. The Terrier offense isn't going to scheme you to death - they have an inside zone run, a lot of max protect single read pass plays, and then try to beat teams to the edge with their speed. The offense reminds me a lot of the Jayson Foster era offense under Chris Hatcher at Georgia Southern. They'll get their yards, but Furman needs to keep them from popping big plays.

Offensively, Furman just needs to stay on schedule. The offense, when clicking, is just so tough to defend. They put a lot of pressure on linebackers to step up against the run and also cover backs coming out of the backfield. The Paladins just have to stay out of predictable passing situations and complete their throws.They also ran an old school ISO scheme out of the I with turnouts by the OT’s & a backside fold around the C by the b/s OG to b/s LB on 3rd & 8 against Mercer. Only gained 4, but if the TE playing in the FB role was a real FB & knew how to make that ISO block on the p/s LB, it probably would have gone for a TD. Old school, running the dang Football schemes, still wins Football games in FCS (see NDSU). It’s a shame so many Teams have abandoned those in favor of ‘getting the ball to playmakers in space.’ You can do BOTH, y’know. Coach Hendrix knows.

#LeaveNoDoubt

ElCid
November 12th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Citadel: Chattanooga without Ford will be different. Wouldn't be surprised with an upset

Upset? It's too close to call now. Massey has us by a nose. Sagarin has them by a nose. And 2 others I saw have us each by a little bit. Don't think anyone can use the word upset for this game.

PaladinNation
November 12th, 2019, 06:07 AM
FUBear posted Conklin's interview on gopaladins.com - kinda weird comments about Sisson and Grainger - he brought up both having strengths and weaknesses not trying to read too much into it other than it just hit me as odd. Compared to CCH - give me more Clay Hendrix. Also some nice locker room fodder.

I've also read now at least twice that the Wofford DB's are handsy. Not sure that will work with Gordo, DeLuca, and Miller all three have excellent hands, run great routes, and are feisty. And that doesn't take into consideration the receiving skills of Anderson, Abrams, Wynn, and Roberto. I see no reason not to think Sisson hits his passes Saturday.

Catamount87
November 12th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Staff losses at work have kept me from posting much this year or even keep up with SoCon action. But here goes.

Power Poll
1 - Furman - On top by a dog's hair but for how long?
2 - Wofford - Early season struggles are looking like ancient history
3 - The Citadel - Ditto
4 - UTC - 2019 surprise team of the conference
5 - Mercer - Once again under performing
6 - Samford - Haven't been able to close out those close ones
7 - WCU - Coaching staff's lack of recognition of issues and slow change doomed them for the first 1/2 of the season
8 - VMI - Fading after a good start
9 - ETSU - Lost their good luck charm for those close games

Predictions
VMI @ Army - two teams fading as the season progresses but Army's cavlery rolls on
Mercer @ ETSU - Another close game, another close loss
Furman @ Wofford - The Dogs continue to hunt
Samford @ WCU - Cat's continue to play controlled offense
Cit @ UTC - More dogs that continue to hunt

walliver
November 12th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Power poll:
1) Furman - still on top until Saturday.
2) Wofford - should have been playing like this all year
3) The Citadel - still in the hunt
4) Chattanooga - can still beat anyone on a given Saturday
after this it is a jumble
5) Samford - best of the worst
6) WCU - way to late, but finally winning games
7) VMI - fading down the stretch
8) Mercer - Another year with hopes of the playoffs down the drain
9) ETSU - they aren't an 0-8 type team, but may well go 0-8. Decent players who have forgotten how to win.

Predictions:
VMI at Army - VMI will fight hard, but doesn't have the firepower and the Men in Black win 42-17
Mercer at ETSU - ETSU should win this game, but finds a way to lose.
Furman at Wofford - this game could go a lot of ways : low-scoring or shootout. I predict a ball-control low scoring game and a 17-16 Terrier win.
Samford at WCU - Cant seniors are playing for keeps. Hatcher is calling it in. Cants win 53-35.
The Citadel at Chattanooga - The Citadel has been winning, but seem somewhat inconsistent. The Mocs have a legitimate good team but have struggled to win the big games. Mocs pull out a big win.

Playoffs:
The three South Carolina Schools have paths to the autobid.
Furman has good chance at an auto-bid (if they can escape from Point ;))
Wofford and the Citadel would have to have a lot of weirdness happen nationwide to get in.
Once in the playoff, we will likely see a SoCon team in the quarterfinals, probably not any farther.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Contemplated this on the way to work -

If Furman wins Saturday, it has big implications for 2019, but also beyond. Since the departure of App/GSU in 2013, Wofford has sort of been the "team to beat" over the last 5 or so years. Wofford staked out its place as top dog with consistent quality play and not really having an "off" year. Rarely dominant, but always consistently good.

I'm inclined to think that if Furman wins Saturday, it will sort of pass that torch to the Paladins. Furman has maintained a level of consistency over the last three seasons that goes beyond winning a big game here and there. This will be the third time in three years Furman will take the field in their last conference game of the year with a SoCon title on the line. They've won 2 of those 3 - all on the road - and were the nose of the football from 3 of 3.

There have been some other good teams over that span. Samford had a moment. The Citadel did. UTC did. None of those teams really kept the consistency going of year in year out title contender.

PaladinNation
November 12th, 2019, 10:36 AM
CCH said Furman is a work in progress… with two returning young quarterbacks with three years left to play, an entire backfield returning, an offensive line that could be even better next season (even with losing two players) and an impressive class already committed. Plus two fantastic young corners (Blackshear and Chizik) I think we're seeing Furman raising the bar.

Concerning Saturday - none of us knows what's going to happen??? The reality is we have five quarters of play to base how Sisson will play Saturday. The good news is he doesn't need to win the game himself, he's got weapons all over the field. I kinda see a game more like the FU/Nooga matchup than the debacle in the rain against The Citadel but we will see.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Furman at Wofford - this game could go a lot of ways : low-scoring or shootout. I predict a ball-control low scoring game and a 17-16 Terrier win.

In SoCon play, Furman is surrendering 15 ppg and Wofford is scoring close to 40. One of those trends is likely to fall this weekend.

Mocs123
November 12th, 2019, 11:05 AM
There are a lot of good competive looking games in the SoCon this week. I show the #1 and #2 teams playing, as well as the #3 and #4 teams playing each other. The other games, sans VMI playing a money game, could really go either way as well. Here's my two cents:

VMI 24
West Point 48 – The Keydets score some points but can’t stop Army’s rushing attack.

Mercer 24 – Mercer hobbles into Johnson City and comes away with the win. Is it enough to save Lamb’s job?
ETSU 21

Furman 35 – Furman’s special teams is the difference in this hard fought contest.
Wofford 28

Samford 41 – This is the game to watch if you love offense, because there will be a lot of it in Cullowhee on Saturday. Unfortunately for the Catamounts, I think Samford has more than Western does.
Western Carolina 38

The Citadel 27
Chattanooga 28 – The Mocs get revenge for the 2011 loss in a slobber-knocker.

1.) Furman
2.) Wofford
3.) The Citadel
4.) Chattanooga
5.) Samford
6.) VMI
7.) Mercer
8.) Western Carolina
9.) ETSU

Possible D1 wins (Money games not included except forCitadel’s win over GT)
Furman – 8
Wofford – 8
The Citadel – 8
Chattanooga – 7
Samford – 5 (out)
Mercer – 5 (out)
VMI – 4 (out)
Western Carolina – 4 (out)
ETSU – 2 (out)

FUBeAR
November 12th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Power poll:
5) Samford - best of the worst
6) WCU - way to late, but finally winning games
7) VMI - fading down the stretch.
8) Mercer - Another year with hopes of the playoffs down the drain

8( Wǝɹɔǝɹ
ㄥ( ΛWI - ɟɐpᴉuƃ poʍu ʇɥǝ sʇɹǝʇɔɥ
9( MƆ∩ - ʍɐʎ ʇo lɐʇǝ' qnʇ ɟᴉuɐllʎ ʍᴉuuᴉuƃ ƃɐɯǝs
ϛ( Sɐɯɟoɹp - qǝsʇ oɟ ʇɥǝ ʍoɹsʇ

...yeah, that’s better. FYP

Catamount87
November 12th, 2019, 12:12 PM
8( Wǝɹɔǝɹ
ㄥ( ΛWI - ɟɐpᴉuƃ poʍu ʇɥǝ sʇɹǝʇɔɥ
9( MƆ∩ - ʍɐʎ ʇo lɐʇǝ' qnʇ ɟᴉuɐllʎ ʍᴉuuᴉuƃ ƃɐɯǝs
ϛ( Sɐɯɟoɹp - qǝsʇ oɟ ʇɥǝ ʍoɹsʇ

...yeah, that’s better. FYP

Okay, that's going to make my head hurt.

Serious question for you, how much longer will the Mercer faithful continue to back Lamb? If any SoCon team has under performed over the last 5-7 years, it has to be Mercer.

Mocs123
November 12th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I think we will find out very soon. If I understand it correctly, Lamb's contract is up after this year, so we will soon see if they extend the contract or choose to move in a new direction. Personally, I think Lamb is a decent coach, who will field a solid team that will have a winning record and will represent the univerity well, but I don't think he'll win many (any) SoCon championships. It's hard to move on from a good (but not great) coach as I've seen it go different ways.

One rumor I heard was the Mercer may be interested in Chris Hatcher, but I think that would be trading one underachieving coach for another (though Hatcher's teams are fun to watch).

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2019, 12:35 PM

If Furman wins Saturday, it has big implications for 2019, but also beyond. Since the departure of App/GSU in 2013, Wofford has sort of been the "team to beat" over the last 5 or so years. Wofford staked out its place as top dog with consistent quality play and not really having an "off" year. Rarely dominant, but always consistently good.

I'm inclined to think that if Furman wins Saturday, it will sort of pass that torch to the Paladins. Furman has maintained a level of consistency over the last three seasons that goes beyond winning a big game here and there. This will be the third time in three years Furman will take the field in their last conference game of the year with a SoCon title on the line. They've won 2 of those 3 - all on the road - and were the nose of the football from 3 of 3.

There have been some other good teams over that span. Samford had a moment. The Citadel did. UTC did. None of those teams really kept the consistency going of year in year out title contender.

You forgot the part where we sucked from 2013-2015.

This is the fourth year of Wofford being "back." The seniors have tied the 14-year-standing school record of wins by a senior class at 35, including 34 division one wins. Wofford will bring back 7 of 10 of the two deep on the OL, all but one running back, and all of our leading receivers and tight ends. On defense we're bringing back all but one starter on the DL and bringing back two all-conference DL, as well as 6 of 8 of the two deep at linebacker, and at least half of the secondary. It looks like Miller Moseley will graduate with Newman and we're going to have two pass-first QBs playing next year.

Wofford's not going anywhere and one game or one two-game stretch isn't going to "pass the torch." The Terriers are here to stay, will have a passing attack, an accurate QB a power run game, and probably the best front 7 in school history. It's pretty phenomenal what we're doing on offense, considering half of our FBs and TEs weren't recruited for those positions.

The Socon, for now, is Wofford and Furman's to lose.

Also, I'm not direct quoting because that's tedious right now, but all of Wofford's stats are tilted with the Clemson game. The fact that we have a top defense in the conference even though we let an elite P5 team have 700 yards on us is a testament to our consistency. Against FCS teams, we're letting up under 300 yards per game (Furman is at about 340) including 100 (3.1 ypc) on the ground. If you look at common opponents, Wofford is letting up about a half yard less per game than Furman's.

ElCid
November 12th, 2019, 11:38 PM
The Citadel 27
Chattanooga 28 – The Mocs get revenge for the 2011 loss in a slobber-knocker.

Now that is just funny. I thought about that a couple days ago. Crazy game that was. That score was your curse.

gofurman
November 13th, 2019, 12:04 AM
You forgot the part where we sucked from 2013-2015.

This is the fourth year of Wofford being "back." The seniors have tied the 14-year-standing school record of wins by a senior class at 35, including 34 division one wins. Wofford will bring back 7 of 10 of the two deep on the OL, all but one running back, and all of our leading receivers and tight ends. On defense we're bringing back all but one starter on the DL and bringing back two all-conference DL, as well as 6 of 8 of the two deep at linebacker, and at least half of the secondary. It looks like Miller Moseley will graduate with Newman and we're going to have two pass-first QBs playing next year.

Wofford's not going anywhere and one game or one two-game stretch isn't going to "pass the torch." The Terriers are here to stay, will have a passing attack, an accurate QB a power run game, and probably the best front 7 in school history. It's pretty phenomenal what we're doing on offense, considering half of our FBs and TEs weren't recruited for those positions.

The Socon, for now, is Wofford and Furman's to lose.

Also, I'm not direct quoting because that's tedious right now, but all of Wofford's stats are tilted with the Clemson game. The fact that we have a top defense in the conference even though we let an elite P5 team have 700 yards on us is a testament to our consistency. Against FCS teams, we're letting up under 300 yards per game (Furman is at about 340) including 100 (3.1 ypc) on the ground. If you look at common opponents, Wofford is letting up about a half yard less per game than Furman's.

I agree Woffshould be good next year. However, IF IF IF Furman wins somehow then this would be the first time in a while the Terriers were not in the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

PaladinFan - check your PMs. thanks in advance !

youwouldno
November 13th, 2019, 12:21 AM

Obviously the game is huge for 2019, but I don't see a major impact beyond that. Future seasons will depend on how well the programs do with recruiting, developing, coaching, etc., just like always. From 2017-19, both teams have had somewhat bloated conference records because the conference in general has been so weak.

I do think Furman is trending upwards - Hendrix's first real recruiting class is mostly redshirt freshmen at this point (since 2017 was cobbled together very late in the game after he was hired). That 2018 class already looks monstrous, with Grainger/Sisson at QB, Watkins and Abrams in the backfield, and Blackshear, Gilby, and Wilkins on defense. After a promising 2019 class that's mostly redshirting, the 2020 group is shaping up to be extremely strong, probably the best since the early aughts. Fans always get excited about their recruits, but Hendrix's are showing it on the field, and he has the schemes in place to take advantage of the talent.

I would like to see the conference in general trend upwards, but in any case I think the other programs are going to have their work cut out for them.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Next year will be the first where you see Wofford be the team that Coach Conklin wants them to be. He will have recruited most of the team. We have an App State transfer who can sling it (and run it, apparently) and we'll finally have most of the secondary recruited to his pass defense system.

Mocs123
November 13th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Now that is just funny. I thought about that a couple days ago. Crazy game that was. That score was your curse.

No doubt - we lost three games that year by that score, The Citadel, Georgia Southern, and Wofford (we also lost to App State by 2). It was a painful year. I'm hoping our luck is better Saturday.

PaladinNation
November 13th, 2019, 09:27 AM
I think the biggest difference between Wofford and Furman is that Conklin came in with a much fuller pantry. CCH has been very public that he came into a situation with some positional weaknesses. Furman had a few big backs but no real tailbacks other than Morehead and the o-line was a mess. And then you had a very limited defense.

I'll admit I don't follow Wofford recruiting and I have no idea what type of program Conklin wants to build. CCH in his last presser mentioned that Furman has evolved faster than he thought - especially considering the team has a lot of young players that have to play for Furman to have a chance to win. It's pretty obvious under CCH Furman is investing in athletic, physical offensive and defensive linemen, playmakers at skill positions as well as the defensive backfield. I'll admit those are needs for every team. The change for Furman over years past is coaching the players up, retaining players, and not missing on recruits.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2019, 09:47 AM
I think the biggest difference between Wofford and Furman is that Conklin came in with a much fuller pantry. CCH has been very public that he came into a situation with some positional weaknesses. Furman had a few big backs but no real tailbacks other than Morehead and the o-line was a mess. And then you had a very limited defense.

I'll admit I don't follow Wofford recruiting and I have no idea what type of program Conklin wants to build. CCH in his last presser mentioned that Furman has evolved faster than he thought - especially considering the team has a lot of young players that have to play for Furman to have a chance to win. It's pretty obvious under CCH Furman is investing in athletic, physical offensive and defensive linemen, playmakers at skill positions as well as the defensive backfield. I'll admit those are needs for every team. The change for Furman over years past is coaching the players up, retaining players, and not missing on recruits.

As our friend FU Bear will tell you, most success at this level stems from coaching. For that reason, I don't really follow recruiting. Wofford right now recruits track athletes for skill positions on offense (which bears fruit this year), but that's about all I know about our recruiting strategy.

but yeah, I think your analysis is spot on. Year 3 is really the year any new coach will start seeing the system in place be "his system." In both Wofford and Furman's case, you're seeing more offensive change from year one to year two than (I forecast with Wofford) year two to year three. Both teams ran a strong option-oriented offense in year one, but implemented more passing in year two. In Furman's case they ran a lot more shotgun last year than the year before, and that trend has persisted.

I think at the time (2017), everyone was marveling at how young Furman was and their success in spite of that youth. In year one of Conklin, there wasn't much expectations (good or bad). Both set the bar high in year two and kind of floundered out the gate (Wofford started 0-2 against FCS, Furman the same) but then rallied big time. I agree with the talent assessment, but I also think Wofford just has had more confidence, given their body of work in Conklin's first year. Remember, Wofford was coming off two 10-win seasons going into 2018. Furman was coming off three straight losing seasons where they won 10 total games if I'm not mistaken.

I think regardless of the outcome of the game Saturday, this is a watershed year for Furman. I think they earn some confidence either in this game or the playoffs. Wofford already has that confidence, and I don't think we'll be shaken if we lose. Furman is a great team and has it in them to be a great program again, but they need both that socon championship and a playoff run.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2019, 01:59 PM
As our friend FU Bear will tell you, most success at this level stems from coaching. For that reason, I don't really follow recruiting. Wofford right now recruits track athletes for skill positions on offense (which bears fruit this year), but that's about all I know about our recruiting strategy.

but yeah, I think your analysis is spot on. Year 3 is really the year any new coach will start seeing the system in place be "his system." In both Wofford and Furman's case, you're seeing more offensive change from year one to year two than (I forecast with Wofford) year two to year three. Both teams ran a strong option-oriented offense in year one, but implemented more passing in year two. In Furman's case they ran a lot more shotgun last year than the year before, and that trend has persisted.

I think at the time (2017), everyone was marveling at how young Furman was and their success in spite of that youth. In year one of Conklin, there wasn't much expectations (good or bad). Both set the bar high in year two and kind of floundered out the gate (Wofford started 0-2 against FCS, Furman the same) but then rallied big time. I agree with the talent assessment, but I also think Wofford just has had more confidence, given their body of work in Conklin's first year. Remember, Wofford was coming off two 10-win seasons going into 2018. Furman was coming off three straight losing seasons where they won 10 total games if I'm not mistaken.

I think regardless of the outcome of the game Saturday, this is a watershed year for Furman. I think they earn some confidence either in this game or the playoffs. Wofford already has that confidence, and I don't think we'll be shaken if we lose. Furman is a great team and has it in them to be a great program again, but they need both that socon championship and a playoff run.

I think there are a few ways of looking at it.

I'll reserve my thoughts on Conklin for a while. Plenty of coaches come in and inherit a talented roster and then start to slip once the former coach's players graduate.

Conklin to this point has met expectations. He inherited a talented team last year and made the post season. It's hard to make too many judgments this season until I see Wofford play Furman and the Citadel.

FU_Paladin08
November 13th, 2019, 02:59 PM
I'm inclined to think that if Furman wins Saturday, it will sort of pass that torch to the Paladins.

I’d say Furman is joining Wofford more than Wofford is passing the torch. I look forward to perennial competition at the top of the SoCon that looks line the early 2000s. Hope Citadel can join the party too.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I think there are a few ways of looking at it.

I'll reserve my thoughts on Conklin for a while. Plenty of coaches come in and inherit a talented roster and then start to slip once the former coach's players graduate.

Conklin to this point has met expectations. He inherited a talented team last year and made the post season. It's hard to make too many judgments this season until I see Wofford play Furman and the Citadel.

The defense is pretty much his at this point. 3/4 of the DL are his recruits, 3/4 of the linebackers were new starters last year, and about 1/2 of the secondary are his recruits.

Here's how we rank over the course of the last 4 years (keep in mind, in 2016 we played 2 teams that were or were practically D2 in ETSU and JC Smith)

Defense 2016 2017 2018 2019
Scoring 17.1 (1) 22.4(2) 19 (1) 24.3 (3) (Without clemson, it's 20 and 2)
Total 287 (1) 326 (2) 304 (1) 340 (1) (296 and 1)
rushing 101 (1) 121 (1) 103 (1) 137 (1) (105)
passing 185 (5) 205 (5) 200 (1) 204 (5) (195ish)

Offense 2016 2017 2018 2019
Scoring 26.8 (5) 25.7(4) 29.6(5) 34.6 (3) (37.1 and 1)
total 343 (8) 347 (5) 427 (3) 453 (1) (um, higher without clemson)
rushing 279 (2) 244 (2) 311 (1) 341 (1) ("")
passing 63 (9) 102 (8) 115 (8) 113 (8)

So let me get this straight, Wofford is averaging about a touchdown more per game in 2019 compared to 2016 (with a weaker schedule in 2016), with more rush yards, almost twice the pass yards and 120 yards more of total offense. On defense, we are pretty much improved across the board (again, taking out clemson) and within the margin of error (at worst) with where we were in 2016.

The wait and see mindset strikes me as Wofford derangement syndrome rearing its ugly head again. We regressed in 2017 because our DC had no business holding the job (the 2016 DC took the job at Georgia state), but if your hypothesis was correct, we would see some sort of regression noticeably worse than at least 2017 in the absolute total of the numbers. But instead, they improve. If it weren't Conklin's contribution, Conklin's contribution wouldn't be at least comparable to 2016...but they are. And there are very few players on this team that got a lot of playing time on that team.

Granted, all of this could change with some bad efforts against Furman and the Citadel, but it's going to take a lot for that to happen (win or lose).

I've been hearing for months that Wofford would lose to Gardner Webb, then VMI, then ETSU, then Chattanooga, then Mercer. What's worse, I heart Mercer would score 30 on us and give us a bang-up show. How'd that end upxcoffeex

I've heard the whole season that our defense was bad, but even with a game with the Tigers our position is pretty much unchanged with or without factoring in that game.

Obviously, I don't think that analysis is accurate. But what does Wofford have to do to show you that indeed Coach Conklin is actually good at his job and Wofford will continue to be Wofford? Or do we just admit that this is all wishful thinking at this point?

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2019, 03:10 PM
I’d say Furman is joining Wofford more than Wofford is passing the torch. I look forward to perennial competition at the top of the SoCon that looks line the early 2000s. Hope Citadel can join the party too.

This guy gets it.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Obviously, I don't think that analysis is accurate. But what does Wofford have to do to show you that indeed Coach Conklin is actually good at his job and Wofford will continue to be Wofford? Or do we just admit that this is all wishful thinking at this point?

I'm sold that Conklin can have Wofford be borderline top 25 Wofford. What he hasn't shown yet is that he can have them be top 10 Wofford. I wouldn't assume that for any coach until they actually do it. No current SoCon coach is there yet.

Scrappy94
November 13th, 2019, 04:57 PM
1. Furman
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. The Citadel
5. Samford
6. Mercer
7. VMI
8. Western Carolina
9. ETSU

VMI @ Army
Mercer @ ETSU
Furman @ Wofford
Samford @ Western Carolina
The Citadel @ Chattanooga

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2019, 06:18 PM
I'm sold that Conklin can have Wofford be borderline top 25 Wofford. What he hasn't shown yet is that he can have them be top 10 Wofford. I wouldn't assume that for any coach until they actually do it. No current SoCon coach is there yet.

2018 + 2019 Wofford > 2017 Wofford.

gofurman
November 13th, 2019, 08:19 PM

I think this is a fair assessment in that youwouldno lumps all SoCon coaches here. I would agree. One more year and if Woff is top ten or Furman gets in top ten again we can say something. I am not sure on Citadel. I do think Chatt is improving which is good for the conference. I want the SoCon to be at least the 5th best FCS Conference: going forward I generally see Furman good, Woff good, Chatt better, Cit ?, VMI better than they used to be... but on the down side I see Sam struggling perhaps, Mercer and ETSU I don't know but not good right now and Western well, ... to get better we need one of those last 3 or 4 to do bettter

ElCid
November 13th, 2019, 08:29 PM
I think this is a fair assessment in that youwouldno lumps all SoCon coaches here. I would agree. One more year and if Woff is top ten or Furman gets in top ten again we can say something. I am not sure on Citadel. I do think Chatt is improving which is good for the conference. I want the SoCon to be at least the 5th best FCS Conference: going forward I generally see Furman good, Woff good, Chatt better, Cit ?, VMI better than they used to be... but on the down side I see Sam struggling perhaps, Mercer and ETSU I don't know but not good right now and Western well, ... to get better we need one of those last 3 or 4 to do bettter

Oh I don't know. Our coach has done pretty good. We obviously have other recruiting issues to deal with that nobody but VMI has. VMI has even harder issues to deal with. I am actually mostly pleased with the game decisions our coach has made. His game management has been brilliant at times. Recruiting seems pretty good, but not outstanding, as well. I think we will be just fine going forward.

apaladin
November 13th, 2019, 11:01 PM
FWIW-We better enjoy the FU/WC game and all that is on the line. Next year these 2 teams open the season at Furman so no late season FU/WC match next year. This is crazy/stupid scheduling by the SoCon IMHO.

PaladinNation
November 14th, 2019, 06:05 AM
FWIW-We better enjoy the FU/WC game and all that is on the line. Next year these 2 teams open the season at Furman so no late season FU/WC match next year. This is crazy/stupid scheduling by the SoCon IMHO.

The good news is we will be in a completely different starting position since CCH has been head coach. Furman will come into that opening game with two experienced starters at QB. The good and bad news for Wofford new starting QB and they will come in with some new wrinkles on offense. The question is how well will they perform out of the gate?

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2019, 06:26 AM

I say "wait and see" not because of "Wofford derangement syndrome," but because I think you apply that standard to just about any coaching staff change.

As we sit here today, Wofford can still finish 6-5 and a dropped pass from 5-6. They might finish 8-3, but they also might not. If that hypothetical-but-not-fanciful scenario plays out, won't we feel different about Conklin?

As a Furman fan, I remember Bobby Lamb taking over a team coming off a national title appearance with a veteran QB and strong defense. He landed a big transfer early on, won a bunch of games, but over time the program started to slip to the point where it was a middle-of-the-pack program. Lamb has continued a similar trend at Mercer. You wouldn't have thought that in 2003-2005.

I don't think you can make those long term judgments about a coach in two seasons.

Catamount87
November 14th, 2019, 06:31 AM

With a new chancellor that rumor has it is highly competitive, there is some hope that WCU will improve and stay up rather than the down, down, down, up, up down, up pattern we've seen. Bottom liine is we MUST get athletic funding up a good bit to be more competitive. Only VMI has a smaller athletic budget than we do. It's crazy that non-football SoCon schools have athletic budgets that are millions and millions more than ours.

PaladinNation
November 14th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Catamount brings up a good point about support.

This isn't a concern YET, Furman Basketball is having a long awaited resurgence.
I'm not sure HOW or IF that effects the football program.

We now have an AD with Nova BB roots, we have one of the hot young coaches, IMO this means $$$ will flow to the BB team.
Last season's top 25 ranking was a PR boom for the school and the program and people noticed.

I just hope the admin stays committed to also building the football program.
I see no signs the football is not a top level priority.
But we've got our heads in the sand if we don't see BB becoming the north star of Furman athletics.

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2019, 08:01 AM
I say "wait and see" not because of "Wofford derangement syndrome," but because I think you apply that standard to just about any coaching staff change.

As we sit here today, Wofford can still finish 6-5 and a dropped pass from 5-6. They might finish 8-3, but they also might not. If that hypothetical-but-not-fanciful scenario plays out, won't we feel different about Conklin?

As a Furman fan, I remember Bobby Lamb taking over a team coming off a national title appearance with a veteran QB and strong defense. He landed a big transfer early on, won a bunch of games, but over time the program started to slip to the point where it was a middle-of-the-pack program. Lamb has continued a similar trend at Mercer. You wouldn't have thought that in 2003-2005.

I don't think you can make those long term judgments about a coach in two seasons.

I mean, the stats I cited show that Conklin has statistically *improved* Wofford on both offense and defense compared to 2017. That's different from holding steady. Considering the paper mache schedule (ETSU, JC Smith)and statistically favorable matchups we played in 2016 (Charleston Southern and the Citadel in the playoffs) you could also make the case that we're improved compared to that team too.

We're playing at a higher level right now than we did at any point in Ayers' last two seasons and we're statistically better than any of Ayers' final 9 seasons, especially on defense. Considering 75% of the team were either recruited or molded by Conklin, I really don't see how you can apply "Lamb Logic" here.

If he chokes the next two games, fine, you may have a point but that's an even stronger assumption than just saying "hm, he has produced, this will likely continue."

Looking ahead, given the current-year information we have in 2019, we have greater reason to think we will be successful (the same level or even improved) next year, especially relative to the rest of the Socon, than we did at any point of current-information between 2012-2015. People forget that Ayers only won 14 D1 games between 2013-2015 and that we were a one-trick pony in 2012. What's more, in 2017 we could have easily gone 3-8, just as we went 9-2. You have to have a very misinformed perception of Wofford's football program to think Mike Ayers was producing at an unassailable high level in his last 6 years or so at the helm.

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Okay, that's going to make my head hurt.

Serious question for you, how much longer will the Mercer faithful continue to back Lamb? If any SoCon team has under performed over the last 5-7 years, it has to be Mercer.

A little late to the party as I've been traveling for work this week, but....

7 years ago we didn't play any games. So unless you are saying Mercer didn't practice very well against each other in the practice year, that seems a little unfair. Then, after one non-scholly year, we moved into the SoCon, and with only one class (Freshman) with scholarships, we won 1 conference game but were, for the most part, competitive. Then, the next year we won 2 conference games, then 4 conference games in year 3 in the SoCon and, other than a couple of specific games, were always competitive. So, up to this point, I feel like coach Lamb did an exemplary job, considering we won or had chances to win in just about every game we played in conference, even without as many scholarship players as every one else. Not to mention, the 4th year where our senior class was pretty much all players that came to the program for no scholarships and not many offers when they were recruits.

Now, the last couple of years? That's when it gets fair to start talking about expectation and the program stalling out. I think most of the Mercer contingent agrees.

I think it's probably likely the school looks to go in a different direction. I can also tell you, unless the rumblings that I hear are incorrect, Coach Hatcher is not a likely candidate for the Mercer job if the school decides to make a change.

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2019, 09:24 AM
I'd look at the strength and conditioning program at Mercer as well. They've been absolutely decimated by injuries, and I hear S&C influences that (but what do I know?).

When's Lamb's contract up? If it's this year, I bet he's out. If not, I'd say give him one more year, because of the injury problems.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2019, 09:51 AM
I'd look at the strength and conditioning program at Mercer as well. They've been absolutely decimated by injuries, and I hear S&C influences that (but what do I know?).

When's Lamb's contract up? If it's this year, I bet he's out. If not, I'd say give him one more year, because of the injury problems.

I don't see him returning.

The biggest tell to me was that Mercer fired Bob Hoffman, the men's bball coach, this past off season. Hoffman was well connected to the Mercer administration. If they'd let Hoffman go, I don't see how they wouldn't let Lamb go.

Add to that Mercer lost a bunch of their coaching staff over the last offseason. It's never a strong look when a program is struggling to retain coaches.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2019, 09:53 AM
A little late to the party as I've been traveling for work this week, but....

7 years ago we didn't play any games. So unless you are saying Mercer didn't practice very well against each other in the practice year, that seems a little unfair. Then, after one non-scholly year, we moved into the SoCon, and with only one class (Freshman) with scholarships, we won 1 conference game but were, for the most part, competitive. Then, the next year we won 2 conference games, then 4 conference games in year 3 in the SoCon and, other than a couple of specific games, were always competitive. So, up to this point, I feel like coach Lamb did an exemplary job, considering we won or had chances to win in just about every game we played in conference, even without as many scholarship players as every one else. Not to mention, the 4th year where our senior class was pretty much all players that came to the program for no scholarships and not many offers when they were recruits.

Now, the last couple of years? That's when it gets fair to start talking about expectation and the program stalling out. I think most of the Mercer contingent agrees.

I think it's probably likely the school looks to go in a different direction. I can also tell you, unless the rumblings that I hear are incorrect, Coach Hatcher is not a likely candidate for the Mercer job if the school decides to make a change.

If Mercer intends to hire Hatcher, they might as well just keep Bobby Lamb.

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2019, 10:40 AM
I don't see him returning.

The biggest tell to me was that Mercer fired Bob Hoffman, the men's bball coach, this past off season. Hoffman was well connected to the Mercer administration. If they'd let Hoffman go, I don't see how they wouldn't let Lamb go.

Add to that Mercer lost a bunch of their coaching staff over the last offseason. It's never a strong look when a program is struggling to retain coaches.

Eh, Hoffman situation was a lot different. And generally how people were treated internally, and how they are/were liked because of that, by those two coaches was a very different circumstance.

Mocs123
November 14th, 2019, 12:15 PM
IMO- Lamb did a good job getting the program on it's feet, and I thought over-achieved early on (though some of that may have been John Ross - I thought he was a good football player). They haven't lived up to expectations the last couple of years, and to me, the fact that Lamb is on the last year of his contract already tells me he's gone barring a really great season, which obviously they didn't have. I'm not saying that's Lamb's fault, but as the HC you get the glory when things go well, and the blame when things go poorly.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2019, 12:40 PM
IMO- Lamb did a good job getting the program on it's feet, and I thought over-achieved early on (though some of that may have been John Ross - I thought he was a good football player). They haven't lived up to expectations the last couple of years, and to me, the fact that Lamb is on the last year of his contract already tells me he's gone barring a really great season, which obviously they didn't have. I'm not saying that's Lamb's fault, but as the HC you get the glory when things go well, and the blame when things go poorly.

Hard to believe, but he's been a D1 head coach now for, I think, 16 seasons. That's some impressive longevity in a business where longevity is the exception, not the rule.

FU_Paladin08
November 14th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Coach Lamb will make a superb high school head coach in Georgia once he leaves Mercer.

SUPharmacist
November 14th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Army
Mercer
Wofford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga

rtzlunar
November 14th, 2019, 10:14 PM
Eh, Hoffman situation was a lot different. And generally how people were treated internally, and how they are/were liked because of that, by those two coaches was a very different circumstance.

I’ll miss Hoffman raising his arms over his head and questioning EVERY SINGLE CALL against his team. He was the ULTIMATE whiner.

PaladinFan
November 15th, 2019, 05:04 AM
https://www.wyff4.com/article/darren-grainger-overcomes-injury-to-be-part-of-paladins-success/29804964

PaladinNation
November 15th, 2019, 06:16 AM
^^^ great story. It appear Sisson and Grainger are good for each other. I hope we can keep two very capable quarterbacks happy for the next three years.
If we do - we're going to have some special years ahead.

Listening to one of the FCS podcasts this week - the question was asked is Wofford a paper tiger? We will find out with them facing Furman and The Citadel back to back. I don't think the Terriers are a paper tiger. The question for Furman is offensive consistency and slow defensive starts. The anomaly of this Furman offense is the Dins have had three games this season with over 600 yards of offense. The potential of this offense is explosive - the question we will see answered tomorrow is can Furman play consistent against a very good defense?

I think Furman has to play patient, take advantage of the ability of Furman receivers to run very sound technical short routes and not burn too many drives going for the home run ball, and continue to pound the ball and use the speed of Corey Watkins. With Sisson and Grainger and the speed of Gordo, Miller, Anderson it's tempting to go deep - a lot. The question isn't if Furman will go deep against the Terriers the question is how many times do we hit these plays?

This is what it's all about…

PaladinFan
November 15th, 2019, 08:32 AM
^^^ great story. It appear Sisson and Grainger are good for each other. I hope we can keep two very capable quarterbacks happy for the next three years.

Listening to one of the FCS podcasts this week - the question was asked is Wofford a paper tiger? We will find out with them facing Furman and The Citadel back to back. I don't think the Terriers are a paper tiger. The question for Furman is offensive consistency and slow defensive starts. The anomaly of this Furman offense is the Dins have had three games this season with over 600 yards of offense. The potential of this offense is explosive - the question we will see answered tomorrow is can Furman play consistent against a very good defense?

I think Furman has to play patient, take advantage of the ability of Furman receivers to run very sound technical short routes and not burn too many drives going for the home run ball, and continue to pound the ball and use the speed of Corey Watkins. With Sisson and Grainger and the speed of Gordo, Miller, Anderson it's tempting to go deep - a lot. The question isn't if Furman will go deep against the Terriers the question is how many times do we hit these plays?

The good news is we will settle it on the field.

I don't know if Wofford is a "paper tiger." I do think at this point in the season we know a bit more about Furman. The Paladins are pretty battle tested.

Wofford is a bit of an enigma to me. They started slow, didn't really have an occ schedule that would tell me much about how they stack up nationally, changed offensive philosophies after two losses, have played fewer games than anyone else, and managed to catch a few teams at the right time with key players out.

Maybe none of that matters. Maybe it does.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2019, 09:45 AM
As for the Mercer situation - emphatically NO. They are NOT interested in Chris Hatcher. What they are interested in is being the best in the SoCon, and this goal will someday be reached. IMO, no other administration in the conference has the desire and willingness to do whatever it takes for football on a par with Mercer's. In repeating myself I have heard it said that "coaches win games, but administrators win championships". Mercer will not hesitate to pay whatever it takes(within reason of course) to get whoever they want, and give him whatever he feels he needs. If things don't change down there, they will be at the top of the SoCon sooner than the rest of us want to believe. Frankly, this scares me, and I am not happy to see this happen, but that is my prediction. I just wish I could say the same for my school.

kdinva
November 15th, 2019, 11:50 AM
VMI 27 @ Army 42
Mercer 24 @ ETSU 21
Furman 35 @ Wofford 32
Samford 34 @ WCU 41
The Citadel 27 @ UTC 24

gofurman
November 15th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Army
Mercer
Wofford
Western Carolina
Chattanooga

yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gofurman
November 15th, 2019, 09:42 PM

Furman has often started slow defensively. bobby johnson had the same hallmark one year - the other team would score at a much higher rate on their first drive v us. Some say we are 'figuring the other team out' and I was glad to see PaladinFan say 'I don't think we are trying to give a 9 minute drive and a TD to western on first drive just to figure them out'. We do have an odd knack of starting slower on D and then playing great later. Maybe teams have scripted us for the first drive based on film? Then we adjust better at half? But we do have a tendency to give up more on the first drive or so

You can basically tell how our O will do from our passing completion percentage. 60% makes it hard to stop our run game. Less than that can get dangerous for us. I get why teams are stacking box vs us. Make the QB prove he can beat you.

Also agree we shouldn't go deep too much. High percentage completions for 5 yards+. NOTE that McKoy, for what it is worth, is listed as starter tomorrow at LB. After some missed reads I wonder if they want more experience at LB out there. Also, Citadel is bigger while Woff is faster. Gilby is bigger and I suspect McKoy is faster though I don't know that but McKoy does have several games vs Woff.

gofurman
November 15th, 2019, 09:47 PM

possibly THREE QBs. All same year - very odd. Shiflett is same class next year and would like to pelay QB and is quite the athlete but is willing to play WR if needed. Good team guy! If Grainger or Shiflett is at QB next year I think the other has to be on the field as WR or something as - esp at FCS - you need your best athlettes on field and I think they are both top 20 athletes on our team. CLearly they wanted Shiflett out there as WR this year but he had to redshirt.

gofurman
November 15th, 2019, 11:55 PM
Catamount brings up a good point about support.

This isn't a concern YET, Furman Basketball is having a long awaited resurgence.
I'm not sure HOW or IF that effects the football program.

We now have an AD with Nova BB roots, we have one of the hot young coaches, IMO this means $$$ will flow to the BB team.
Last season's top 25 ranking was a PR boom for the school and the program and people noticed.

I just hope the admin stays committed to also building the football program.
I see no signs the football is not a top level priority.
But we've got our heads in the sand if we don't see BB becoming the north star of Furman athletics.

this is a GREAT point that concerns me too. You Cannot win in any way without top support. Lamb suffered from this at Furman. I like basketball but I hope we don’t have that at the expense of football. Please keep supporting football Furman administration !!!

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2019, 03:36 AM
Power Poll - AudioVisual Edition

1) Furman -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4hqm0zIg4

2) Wofford - https://media.makeameme.org/created/started-from-the-5bac59.jpg

3) Chattanooga - https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/non-make/carcare/carcare_1027114_717.jpg

4) The Citadel - https://citadelathletics.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/tangerin-bowl-champions.jpg

5) Mercer -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8

6-) WCU -
http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/SiGpkQsDjpOvK/giphy.gif

7) VMI -
https://bearwiththebull.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/low-bar.jpg

8) Samford - https://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/StockHodges3.jpg

9) ETSU -
http://nebula.wsimg.com/8c7125302178a4fdfefebcb5e3349a10?AccessKeyId=C2EE1 A11EE8D94CB49EE&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Predictions

VMI @ Army - C+a=4, K+e+y=41; Mules win by 37; 63-26

Mercer @ ETSU - Bears replace duct tape with Gorilla Glue 21-18

Furman @ Wofford - Finally, an Offense exposes a weak ratpup D 42-20

Samford @ Western Carolina - Cats are inspired; Dogs have expired 42-28

The Citadel @ Chattanooga - Nooga has nuff 24-21

PaladinNation
November 16th, 2019, 07:25 AM
possibly THREE QBs. All same year - very odd. Shiflett is same class next year and would like to pelay QB and is quite the athlete but is willing to play WR if needed. Good team guy! If Grainger or Shiflett is at QB next year I think the other has to be on the field as WR or something as - esp at FCS - you need your best athlettes on field and I think they are both top 20 athletes on our team. CLearly they wanted Shiflett out there as WR this year but he had to redshirt.

When a player the caliber of Shiflett wants to transfer into your program - you take him. One thing I'm not worrying about is this staff not finding a role for a player. Out of the three Sisson IMO is the one that I can't see moving positions. But, he is a very deceptive runner and has proven he's got quick feet. I still think we need Grainger at QB. His upside is tremendous. Shiflett got hurt so early in the season we didn't get to see enough PT to judge. CCH did say that barring injury Shiflett would have been on the depth chart.

Concerning the game today and linebacker - McKoy is more of an outside linebacker type - Gilby is a pure Mike, and his game is physical play. Luckily Furman can rotate the big three Perryman, McKoy, Gilby, and don't sleep on ILB Jack Owen.

I've also noticed that highly regard recruit Bryce McCormick is now practicing, and has been listed as a defensive practice player of the week. Not sure this a game to play a freshman linebacker his first action - maybe next week but linebacker play is going to be a key. As will be the Furman corners playing physical and not sleeping on the Terriers passing game.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 11:54 AM
VMI hanging tough with Army. I loved the on side kick recovery to start the game. Very good call. 7-3 mid 2nd.

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2019, 12:01 PM
VMI hanging tough with Army. I loved the on side kick recovery to start the game. Very good call. 7-3 mid 2nd.
7-6 Go Roos - whip that GaSou refugee!

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 12:09 PM
7-6 Go Roos - whip that GaSou refugee!

Army was running wild early on, but VMI seems to be stiffening up on D.

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Army was running wild early on, but VMI seems to be stiffening up on D.VMI getting the ever-present FBS Official’s HOSING!

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Well that was fast. Furman up 7-0 awfully fast. Come on ankle biters.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 01:34 PM
The Citadel 2
UTC 6

Bottom of the 1st.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Dogs got fumblitis today. Chatty taking advantage. 12-2.

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Dogs got fumblitis today. Chatty taking advantage. 12-2.
*cantpitchitis

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Wofford is doing everything it needs to do to beat Furman.

The Paladin offensive line needs to determine whether they want to start getting after it in the second half. That's the story of the game right now - Furman's not really able to run the ball between the tackles.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Well we doubled up UTC in yards (252-126), held them to 6 yards rushing, but we are down by 3 after missing a chip shot FG to end the half. Oh those silly fumbles. They got a good score on a long ball, but besides that we have kept them in check. Hopefully our O settles down in the second half.

kdinva
November 16th, 2019, 02:49 PM
for the 2nd week in a row, VMI a super competitive first half (trailed today 14-6, and should have been closer), but after halftime; absolutely nothing. VMI's opponent with great adjustments, and the opponent executed flawlessly while the Keydets looked like they were playing in mud. Army rolls; 47-6. VMI played the same 5-3 defense they used vs. The Citadel, but Army's backs ran and ran. can't tackle runners around the shoulders.

Keydets mental state not the same after the losses to Mercer and especially WCU. Hope they give UTC better effort next week.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 02:53 PM
That's the way to start a half. Bulldogs with the pick, two plays and score. 16-12 Dogs.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Dogs on fire! 2nd TD for Dogs off turnovers in less than 2 minutes.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2019, 03:14 PM
I'll give Wofford a lot of credit in this game. It's been a tough defensive scrap, but the Terriers came to play and have done what they needed to do.

This is a similar game to the Citadel. Furman's talented, but I think you see their youth in key positions in games like this.

kdinva
November 16th, 2019, 03:24 PM
ETSU 38; Mercer 33----------------- final. congrats to the Bucs. No winless SoCon teams this Fall...

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2019, 03:31 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/UZXM1IKBcGJB6/giphy.gif

ETSUfan1
November 16th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Finally

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM
We are doing all we can to blown this game even though we have dominated most of it.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2019, 03:41 PM
We are doing all we can to blown this game even though we have dominated most of it.

Please do.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Please do.

Whew, just got some breathing room. Stupid penalty from our sideline cost us their last score. Almost at 500 yard on O. Next week will be epic.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dogs hold on. D stands up when it had to.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dogs hold on. D stands up when it had to.

Too bad our O was out of gas. Ball to UTC with less than 2 minutes to go. UGHHHHHHHHH!

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 04:15 PM
I am not believing this. UTC at mid-field. If we blow this,......

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 04:22 PM
I am not believing this. We totally blew it. We are done for the year. We had this game sewed up and kicked back. Turnovers and penalties killed us. Next week will be meaningless now.

Scrappy94
November 16th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Chattanooga up 34-33 with 21 seconds to go!

Update: MOCS WIN!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

walliver
November 16th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Wofford gets the auto-bid.

Not bad after our horrible start.

cx500d
November 16th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Wofford gets the auto-bid.

Not bad after our horrible start.
#ButtFurman

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Tried to tell people about Furman but nobody would listen.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Tried to tell people about Furman but nobody would listen.

Actually nobody listened because you were mistaken. Furman is good, but Wofford is even better.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Give Conklin and Siefkis their due. We have a nasty defense.

Also, we have beaten 6 of our 7 FCS opponents by 3+ scores.

Milktruck74
November 16th, 2019, 06:45 PM

I know which one you didn't beat by 3+ scores....and if we dont kick it out of bounds with 2 mins to go.....who knows!!!! hahah..Congrats YT. But I hope Cit rolls y'all next week so we can get a piece of the title!!! Ithink we actually get a shareif y'all lose to the Hops.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 06:47 PM

He's had bug up his butt over Furman for a while. Probably never seen them play, but he knows.xrotatehx

I am so pissed at our performance. We had a couple weaselly penalties, but in the end, we just blew it today. Missed chip shot FG to end 1st half was in excusable and the difference. We played it entirely too safe on O on our last drive in the 4th quarter and that loses you games. We were playing not to lose via a turnover and so they eliminated the pitch from the play calling. Get that last 1st down and we are playing for the bid next week. We are left out now at 7-5.....if we win next week which will be a tall order.

ElCid
November 16th, 2019, 06:49 PM
I know which one you didn't beat by 3+ scores....and if we dont kick it out of bounds with 2 mins to go.....who knows!!!! hahah..Congrats YT. But I hope Cit rolls y'all next week so we can get a piece of the title!!! Ithink we actually get a shareif y'all lose to the Hops.

Yes. Three teams at 4-2 if we win. But Wofford owns wins against the other two so they are going no matter what.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Actually nobody listened because you were mistaken. Furman is good, but Wofford is even better.

Nobody said they "good". WTF were they doing in the top 10 with that resume, a resume that still sucks.

apaladin
November 16th, 2019, 07:59 PM

WC was going to win, but those 2 stuffs at the one on different drives could have made it a lot close(14 points)r. IMHO terrible play calling. Congrats to WC they were the better team. Oh yeh, the next to last play was a TD for FU as receiver was on top of defender when the ball was over the goal line and wasn't down. Again didn't matter but would have made it look better. I know FU fans are disappointed but I feel for Citadel fans. They should be playing for the title next week. Terrible ending for them.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Nobody said they "good". WTF were they doing in the top 10 with that resume, a resume that still sucks.

Hey, man. Do any of us look like voters? Why don't you complain to them if you don't like where Furman is ranked.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2019, 08:23 PM
WC was going to win, but those 2 stuffs at the one on different drives could have made it a lot close(14 points)r. IMHO terrible play calling. Congrats to WC they were the better team. Oh yeh, the next to last play was a TD for FU as receiver was on top of defender when the ball was over the goal line and wasn't down. Again didn't matter but would have made it look better. I know FU fans are disappointed but I feel for Citadel fans. They should be playing for the title next week. Terrible ending for them.

The two stops at the goal line certainly made the 24-7 game look a bit wider of a margin than it might otherwise had been. The one in the third quarter was crippling. Hats off to Wofford, though, as they came to play.

Wofford did a good job on the inside run game for Furman. The Paladins shot themselves in the foot repeatedly missing open receivers in the passing game. This was a game where Furman just lost third downs.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2019, 10:09 PM
See what I love about these MVFC/Big Sky posters saying other conferences haven't beaten anybody is that you basically have to ignore the fact that the logic of these conferences greatness this season is so circular that it's pretty obvious that all you can do is fall up there.

Don't get me wrong, the current top 10 aren't bad, but they're afforded more slack right now based on their conference affiliation.

Like, it's permissible to lose by double digits to a ranked opponent (which a lot of them have) if you're one of the MVFC/Big Sky, but if you're Furman, you suck for being 7-2 in FCS.

Everyone asks wHeRe'S wOfFoRd's qUalItY wIn

Furman is 7-2 against FCS. Chattanooga may finish 7-5 against one of the harder schedules in FCS. The citadel is decent, if inconsistent.

FCS rankings are becoming a big joke because Illinois State can lose multiple games by 3 scores and still be in the top 7, as can teams like Montana State. But Furman can't. And the very act of winning undermines Wofford schedule. It's viciously and obviously circular.

gofurman
November 16th, 2019, 11:27 PM
#ButtFurman

what does that even mean. Furman is fine. We are relevant again, probably in playoffs etc. We were 3-8 just 3 years ago and not even talked about. . wofford played great (clearly one of best games of year) and DESERVED to win. Nothing to sneeze at Furman about. just big kudos to Wofford

but hey NDSU has to get in on other threads to troll I guess

gofurman
November 16th, 2019, 11:34 PM
See what I love about these MVFC/Big Sky posters saying other conferences haven't beaten anybody is that you basically have to ignore the fact that the logic of these conferences greatness this season is so circular that it's pretty obvious that all you can do is fall up there.

Don't get me wrong, the current top 10 aren't bad, but they're afforded more slack right now based on their conference affiliation.

Like, it's permissible to lose by double digits to a ranked opponent (which a lot of them have) if you're one of the MVFC/Big Sky, but if you're Furman, you suck for being 7-2 in FCS.

Everyone asks wHeRe'S wOfFoRd's qUalItY wIn

Furman is 7-2 against FCS. Chattanooga may finish 7-5 against one of the harder schedules in FCS. The citadel is decent, if inconsistent.

FCS rankings are becoming a big joke because Illinois State can lose multiple games by 3 scores and still be in the top 7, as can teams like Montana State. But Furman can't. And the very act of winning undermines Wofford schedule. It's viciously and obviously circular.

Reign of Terrier, good job by your team. You own the LOS on both sides. Why couldn’t y’all go with the throw it 20 times in a half scheme 😔?
instead y’all decided to do what you do w Basinger and Jeresaty on OL and what Newman does etc. granted we had not just a R-Freshman QB but one who is starting his second game (Sisson first start was last week) but you won fair and square. We have to hit those passes like the wide azz open FB out of backfield on Sisson scramble. Can’t go 13-30. We missed but in large part that’s due to your D w great DL Play and pressure. I swear your OL and DL play better vs us in Sparkle City than vs anyone else. Dammm. No way that’s the same effort you gave vs UTC.

also that is the most home and home series I swear. You win twice in Spartanburg iN 2017. We win easily in Greenville last year. You win easily in Spartanburg this year. You have grabbed one or two in Greenville but we haven’t won in Spartanburg since 2006!!! Looking at last two years it’s crazy how easily each team own in their own stadium

kudos on the win. Hope SoCon can win one or three in playoffs

gofurman
November 16th, 2019, 11:37 PM
I'll give Wofford a lot of credit in this game. It's been a tough defensive scrap, but the Terriers came to play and have done what they needed to do.

This is a similar game to the Citadel. Furman's talented, but I think you see their youth in key positions in games like this.

PaladinFan

check your PMs

thanks in advance

Mocs123
November 17th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Hats off to Wofford on a great win. I will be rooting for you to make some noise in the playoffs but next week all Chattanooga fans are Citadel fans. Of course we have to take care of business again a dangerous VMI team.

Great game by The Citadel too, to be honest I’m not sure how we pulled that one out. (I think that was payback for 2011). The Bulldog D is legit and the pitch guy (#21) gave us fits all day. The Dogs definitely got conservative on offense and gave us a shot. Please go beat the Terriers!!

As for Chattanooga, I’m still not sure how we patch together an offense. Our starting center went out a couple of weeks ago and our backup went out in the first quarter this week. Cole Strange moves over from guard to snap having never snapped in a game before. We now have 5 offensive linemen who have ever taken a college snap and one of them is a walk-on. We’re down 3 running backs, and two starting wideouts.

Despite looking like Tom Arth was calling our offensive plays in the 2nd and 3rd quarter (credit to the Bulldog D and impacted by having to shuffle the offensive line), I really like what Pizzo is doing offensively.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 17th, 2019, 02:30 PM
ETSU 38; Mercer 33----------------- final. congrats to the Bucs. No winless SoCon teams this Fall...

thanks man, it's a great way to end the home slate with a dose of hopium.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 17th, 2019, 02:33 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/UZXM1IKBcGJB6/giphy.gif

Here to offer up my condolences for your loss yesterday.

FUBeAR
November 17th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Here to offer up my condolences for your lossES yesterday.
FYP