PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Vandals, Their Fans, Etc.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2019, 04:50 PM
They don't really have a lot of depth right now but they are gritty and have some real good players on offense and in particular on the defense.

I was fairly impressed with the fanbase that showed up on Saturday. You would think they wouldn't have anything left after the stuff you see on their board and all that but they were well repped in the crowd and they were in the game as much as anyone else that regularly comes in to Missoula.

I am posting this tidbit because I think if they are gonna travel then maybe the closer games will bring more rivalry type feelings to the Vandal fans and they start upping the level at home as well. It was just nice to see that they were there to support the team a lot better than I would have thought. They matched anyone else which is a good sign.xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Their players were dirty as ****, though. Tons of cheap shots, and I actually thought they were actively trying to start a fight after a bunch of plays in the second half.

Props to the Griz players for not taking the bait and playing with class.

clenz
November 11th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Their players were dirty as ****, though. Tons of cheap shots, and I actually thought they were actively trying to start a fight after a bunch of plays in the second half.

Props to the Griz players for not taking the bait and playing with class.That sounds a lot, and I mean a lot, like Indiana State this last weekend in the UNIDome. I haven't seen a team do that many chippy, late, excessive hitting pushing and talking in years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
November 11th, 2019, 06:06 PM
tangent: is there any other tribe or ethnicity whose name has been converted into a crime? (Vandals, vandalism)
though I suppose such a discussion could be difficult to maintain since it could easily devolve into the use of offensive slurs

Sycamore62
November 11th, 2019, 06:25 PM
That sounds a lot, and I mean a lot, like Indiana State this last weekend in the UNIDome. I haven't seen a team do that many chippy, late, excessive hitting pushing and talking in years.

we used to get a lot of those type of penalties a prior to Mallory. I was not a fan of giving up 15-45 yds per game because someone was being an asshole. im not surprised about this seeing how the season has gone from game 1.

I Bleed Purple
November 11th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Hopefully all those Scout "donors" are now Washington State fans or something.

taper
November 11th, 2019, 07:40 PM
tangent: is there any other tribe or ethnicity whose name has been converted into a crime? (Vandals, vandalism)
though I suppose such a discussion could be difficult to maintain since it could easily devolve into the use of offensive slurs

Disclaimer: I'm just posting historical knowledge. Some of these terms are offensive. Remember, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Slavs = slaves
Goths = angsty teenagers
Huns = WWI era slur against Germans
Aryan = Indo-Iranian people, which doesn't match up at all with the modern definition.
Philistine = more common in England, meaning a primitive.
Saracen = medieval slur against any Arab or Muslim. Nearly synonymous with heretic, which could be a capital offense.
Barbarian = Either Berbers or Barbary coast of Africa.

I hope no sports teams take any of these as nicknames.

clenz
November 11th, 2019, 07:44 PM
we used to get a lot of those type of penalties a prior to Mallory. I was not a fan of giving up 15-45 yds per game because someone was being an asshole. im not surprised about this seeing how the season has gone from game 1.Mallory was encouraging it. I had seats where he and I could easily have had a conversation. The talk on the sideline was almost entirely just getting under UNIs skin rather than actually playing football.

89 -your best/only player was at the forefront of that.

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2019, 07:52 PM
Disclaimer: I'm just posting historical knowledge. Some of these terms are offensive. Remember, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Slavs = slaves
Goths = angsty teenagers
Huns = WWI era slur against Germans
Aryan = Indo-Iranian people, which doesn't match up at all with the modern definition.
Philistine = more common in England, meaning a primitive.
Saracen = medieval slur against any Arab or Muslim. Nearly synonymous with heretic, which could be a capital offense.
Barbarian = Either Berbers or Barbary coast of Africa.

I hope no sports teams take any of these as nicknames.

Here's one that's pretty bad. A high school in a town between WIU and Illinois State had this until 1980.
Newspaper article (https://i.huffpost.com/gen/1468662/thumbs/o-PEKINMASCOT-570.jpg?6)
Mascot (https://external-preview.redd.it/5TcdCaAhDF2bjUPCrBxhK-7x0RWJgVqMFTOOsydilOA.jpg?auto=webp&ced1e7d7)

mvemjsunpx
November 11th, 2019, 08:19 PM
They don't really have a lot of depth right now but they are gritty and have some real good players on offense and in particular on the defense.

I was fairly impressed with the fanbase that showed up on Saturday. You would think they wouldn't have anything left after the stuff you see on their board and all that but they were well repped in the crowd and they were in the game as much as anyone else that regularly comes in to Missoula.

I am posting this tidbit because I think if they are gonna travel then maybe the closer games will bring more rivalry type feelings to the Vandal fans and they start upping the level at home as well. It was just nice to see that they were there to support the team a lot better than I would have thought. They matched anyone else which is a good sign.xthumbsupx

It almost seemed like Idaho had more fans at WaGriz than they normally get at their own games. I mean, they only average about 7000 fans in the Kibbie Dome.

dbackjon
November 11th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Here's one that's pretty bad. A high school in a town between WIU and Illinois State had this until 1980.
Newspaper article (https://i.huffpost.com/gen/1468662/thumbs/o-PEKINMASCOT-570.jpg?6)
Mascot (https://external-preview.redd.it/5TcdCaAhDF2bjUPCrBxhK-7x0RWJgVqMFTOOsydilOA.jpg?auto=webp&ced1e7d7)

Without Peeking I knew it was about Pekin

JayJ79
November 11th, 2019, 10:06 PM
don't forget the Wahpeton Wops from North Dakota

F'N Hawks
November 11th, 2019, 10:11 PM

No doubt, that was a classic! Yikes.

cx500d
November 12th, 2019, 07:57 AM
I always liked the devils lake satans

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Thug, Thunga, Thuggee....Indian religious sect that followed the goddess Kali, who preyed on travelers.

JayJ79
November 12th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thug, Thunga, Thuggee....Indian religious sect that followed the goddess Kali, who preyed on travelers.
probably more of a cult, or just a thieves guild, really. There might have been some that used "religion" to try to justify their actions, which is commonplace amongst cults (or even more widespread religions to some degree. alot of people abuse faith for personal gain)

And there is some skepticism that the Thuggee concept was just invented (or greatly exaggerated) by the British colonialists. who knows

AmsterBison
November 12th, 2019, 09:23 AM

The fact that Devils Lake retired that nickname because "it honored Satan" just shows that stupidity is contagious.

The Hettinger Black Devils are still around though. Even though my dad's family settled all around there, I've never heard where the name come... guessing mining.

FormerPokeCenter
November 12th, 2019, 09:35 AM
probably more of a cult, or just a thieves guild, really. There might have been some that used "religion" to try to justify their actions, which is commonplace amongst cults (or even more widespread religions to some degree. alot of people abuse faith for personal gain)

And there is some skepticism that the Thuggee concept was just invented (or greatly exaggerated) by the British colonialists. who knows

My understanding is that the Thugs were known for attacking travelers from the 13th century on. They were estimated to have killed 2 million travelers in India over their 600 year run. Now, obviously, that's fertile ground for exaggeration and embellishment, but they have a known history that predates the Brits. Initially, they were an assasin cult, but when the Brits got there, they were characterized as highway bandit riffraff so there may have been a negative publicity campaign to justify their extermination.

In "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" I think Captain Nemo is portrayed as being a former Thug, having once been an assasin. Of course, Jules Verne describes him differently, though he hated British Imperialism. ;)

AmsterBison
November 12th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Some Irish surnames that became kind of negative-connotation words: malarkey, donnybrook*, and hooligan (comes from Houlihan.)

* More prevalent as a place name.

POD Knows
November 12th, 2019, 09:54 AM
My understanding is that the Thugs were known for attacking travelers from the 13th century on. They were estimated to have killed 2 million travelers in India over their 600 year run. Now, obviously, that's fertile ground for exaggeration and embellishment, but they have a known history that predates the Brits. Initially, they were an assasin cult, but when the Brits got there, they were characterized as highway bandit riffraff so there may have been a negative publicity campaign to justify their extermination.

In "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" I think Captain Nemo is portrayed as being a former Thug, having once been an assasin. Of course, Jules Verne describes him differently, though he hated British Imperialism. ;)
I saw a documentary on the Thugee, Temple of Doom, the Thugee's were bad ass.

ST_Lawson
November 12th, 2019, 10:32 AM
The fact that Devils Lake retired that nickname because "it honored Satan" just shows that stupidity is contagious.

That's pretty dumb. Also, Montana fans should already be familiar with Hellgate High School. Named after the nearby Hellgate Canyon..."French trappers called the canyon Porte de l’Enfer, translated as "Gate of Hell". Their mascot is the Knights, although I think they missed an opportunity to go all-in on the name...call themselves the "Red Devils", name their mascot Dante, paint flames on the walls in their gym...call it The Inferno (that's not trademarked by EWU is it?)...have their "intro music" for football and/or basketball be "Raining Blood" by Slayer.

er...ok...maybe that's too much

Silenoz
November 12th, 2019, 10:49 AM
That's pretty dumb. Also, Montana fans should already be familiar with Hellgate High School. Named after the nearby Hellgate Canyon..."French trappers called the canyon Porte de l’Enfer, translated as "Gate of Hell". Their mascot is the Knights, although I think they missed an opportunity to go all-in on the name...call themselves the "Red Devils", name their mascot Dante, paint flames on the walls in their gym...call it The Inferno (that's not trademarked by EWU is it?)...have their "intro music" for football and/or basketball be "Raining Blood" by Slayer.

I think Hellgate would embrace every single one of those things.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 12th, 2019, 10:56 AM

The Dawson County Red Devils from Glendive Montana.....the mascot now is of a devil..pitchfork and all. But it started as a racial slur.

The mascot used to be an indian chief and was used wayyy back in the day when Native Americans would come to town. "Here come those red devils".

BadlandsGrizFan
November 12th, 2019, 10:58 AM

See post above..lol. Same but VERY different..haha

uni88
November 12th, 2019, 11:55 AM

Origin of the word assassin > Hashishin > "hashish eaters"

JacksFan40
November 12th, 2019, 12:00 PM
McLaughlin used to be the Midgets. Not an offensive name or anything but just stupid.

Grizalltheway
November 12th, 2019, 12:51 PM
McLaughlin used to be the Midgets. Not an offensive name or anything but just stupid.
Just because it isn't offensive to you, does not meant it isn't offensive to anyone.

MSUBobcat
November 12th, 2019, 01:41 PM

Dickinson is STILL the Midgets. McLauglin was asked by the nonprofit Little People of America to change it, and they agreed. Dickinson, thus far, has declined.

Just because it isn't offensive to you, does not meant it isn't offensive to anyone.

Agreed. I think only those people in that demographic are allowed to determine if the term is derogatory to them. I.e. people with dwarfism get to decide if "midget" is a term they want to be called.

Sycamore62
November 12th, 2019, 02:18 PM
Agreed. I think only those people in that demographic are allowed to determine if the term is derogatory to them. I.e. people with dwarfism get to decide if "midget" is a term they want to be called.

but since now you get to decide what demographic you are, anyone can decide to be offended by anything.

Grizalltheway
November 12th, 2019, 02:47 PM
but since now you get to decide what demographic you are, anyone can decide to be offended by anything.
I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to use the word midget if they so choose, but a publicly funded school using it as their mascot is another story IMO.

uni88
November 12th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Dickinson is STILL the Midgets. McLauglin was asked by the nonprofit Little People of America to change it, and they agreed. Dickinson, thus far, has declined.

I don't disagree but I'm not sure it's cut and dried. As someone of Norwegian and Danish descent, if I find Vikings, Norse, Danes, etc. derogatory should a school have to change it? Why or why not?

We need to be careful or this could evolve into a political discussion.

Hammersmith
November 15th, 2019, 05:23 PM

As someone who grew up there and started high school as a wop and graduated a husky, I feel I need to explain for outsiders that don't know the story.

Early 1900s. School doesn't have a nickname yet and reporters hate typing(and misspelling) Wahpeton all the time. They start shortening it to Wahp. One guy misspells it as Wop. It sticks. There is virtually no significant Italian presence in the region for many decades, so the connection to the racial slur is either not known or not thought about. Early attempts to change the name start in the late 70s or 80s. Name is finally changed to huskies around '92. The new name was partially chosen because the school colors were already purple and gold. That, plus the prominent W, made it easy to appropriate a few University of Washington ideas.

veinup
November 15th, 2019, 06:24 PM

people still do a double take when i tell them i attended a high school named hellgate 😂

ST_Lawson
November 15th, 2019, 07:12 PM
people still do a double take when i tell them i attended a high school named hellgate 

It's pretty unique. I'd never heard of it until I happened to be scoping out U of M's campus on google maps.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 15th, 2019, 08:32 PM
My HS were the Black Devils.

JacksFan40
November 15th, 2019, 10:38 PM
I don’t mean to get overly political here but if a team uses a certain name as a mascot they’re not trying to offend any sort of people. Nobody in the right mind would use a demeaning name to represent their school, it’s just idiotic. It’s why I always thought the controversy surrounding teams like UND was stupid. I’m of Irish ancestry and you don’t see me demanding the Celtics change their name because it disrespects my lineage.

JayJ79
November 16th, 2019, 12:38 AM
there are teams out there who have the nickname/mascot of the Crusaders.
I wonder how people would react if there was a team that decided to call themselves the Jihadis.
Pretty much the same concept, just with different Abrahamic religions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 16th, 2019, 05:53 AM
there are teams out there who have the nickname/mascot of the Crusaders.
I wonder how people would react if there was a team that decided to call themselves the Jihadis.
Pretty much the same concept, just with different Abrahamic religions.

Apples/oranges comparison

Islam has never been in the social fabric of this country until the 20th century.....maybe?

Islam contributed jack squat to this country's founding/existence/prominence/global juggernaut.

Nothing wrong with Crusaders as a nickname. Only PC cupcakes think it is offending.

IBleedYellow
November 16th, 2019, 09:31 AM

er...ok...maybe that's too muchShould have been the Cerberus....

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Should have been the Cerberus....

I considered that, but Cerberus is traditionally thought of as being in Greek mythology. He does exist in Dante's "Divine Comedy" (which was the "model" I was kinda going for), but is one of the guardians of the third circle.

Also, if they really wanted to dig in deep, they could do up the visitor's locker room (like Iowa's pink locker room, or Alabama's "Fail Room") in light blue with icicles and stuff painted around on the wall and call it the "9th Circle" (9th circle was a giant frozen lake in which the greatest traitors of history were frozen).

Silenoz
November 19th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Just got around to watching it. 2:41:25. I can't even...

https://youtu.be/n-xMs5fzs1w?t=9685

jacksfan29!
November 19th, 2019, 05:52 PM

Stupid? I loved that nickname as a kid as did the locals on the Standing Rock Res.

JayJ79
November 19th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Just got around to watching it. 2:41:25. I can't even...

at least #8 didn't try to club him with that helmet after he pulled it off

fencer24
November 19th, 2019, 07:05 PM
That's next weekend.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 5th, 2019, 08:09 PM
Apples/oranges comparison

Islam has never been in the social fabric of this country until the 20th century.....maybe?

Islam contributed jack squat to this country's founding/existence/prominence/global juggernaut.

Nothing wrong with Crusaders as a nickname. Only PC cupcakes think it is offending.

Precisely!

Sometimes, I wish SFU had adopted the Crusaders moniker. It is badass. I rebuke any school that bows down to the cries of political correctness and changes their nickname.