PDA

View Full Version : More Monmouth perspective (playoffs, seeds, etc)

MUHAWKS
November 11th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Hello All-

Just thought I would update my thoughts and opinions into one post here rather than replying to relevant posts elsewhere.

**PLAYOFF SEED

First, it seems some folks are talking about CCSU being in contention for a seed. This is of course if they win the last 2 (Robert Morris, Duquesne). I think if that is being talked about as plausible then a possible 10-2 Monmouth team should easily be thought of as deserving a seed above them.

Frankly, I do not think either team should be seeded just based on overall level of competition but if people are actually thinking CCSU would deserve a seed, I do not know how they would not view Monmouth as being in strong comp with them for that seed.

Monmouth would be 10-2, all D 1 wins, having beat # 4 ranked team in nation on the road by a lot. A decent looking road loss to a probably top 5 seed Montana team, a win over possible playoff team Albany, an FCS loss and a couple close wins against lesser mixed in with double digit routs scoring 30-50 pts in other wins. We would have a much better looking SOS and frankly, for all the crap MU has taken for "only" beating Lafayette by 4 pts and squeaking by Wagner- CCSU "only" beat Merrimack by 3, needed OT to beat ST Francis and beat beat Fordham by 3. Does not seem like CCSU would have too much over MU in that conversation. I say all this with a lot of respect for CCSU. I like the team and as MU was formerly in the NEC I root for us "mid major" FCS teams. I just think with all the crap MU has taken for weak wins it is absurd that CCSU would even be in the mix for a seed and not us.

**HOME PLAYOFF GAME BID INFO

I know we care very much about hosting a home playoff game (should we get in) and I know that our bid is aggressive. However, I have heard that not having lights is actually the biggest possible deal breaker as opposed to our smaller stadium. Apparently it has something to do with possibly needing to be a 2 pm game (something with TV or scheduling) and with a 2 pm start it would be too dark by about 4:30 pm. I can also say that when we bid in 2017 we were told that we were very much in the discussion but based on scheduling and what not it would not materialize anyway. But all the info I have heard points to us very much being in the discussion for a home game.

*OTHER

This weeks game against Campbell now becomes the de facto Big South Championship game. This years team prides itself on not looking ahead and focusing on each day so nobody on the team or staff is talking about this stuff, but fans and parents of players sure are. Meaning- if somehow we slip up against what seems to be a capable Campbell team, it would leave us, them and KSU all with 1 loss and all against each other. Not really sure what the tiebreaker is so we are just hoping we do not have to find out. And of course, each team still needs to win their last game after this week anyway. But theoretically if we lose this week and we all win our last game there would be a 3 way tie in the Big South with MU having beat KSU and KSU having beat Campbell. Really not sure how that tiebreaker is broken.

The last stuff I will say is I still maintain that wins are wins. Ask Holy Cross who beat UNH yet could not keep control of their own destiny by LOSING to lowly Lafayette who we "only" beat by 4. Most teams are going to have a bad week or two during the year. It happens on all levels. When the bad week ends with a win I say it is pretty good. If a team is squarely on the bubble then I understand it may matter a bit but from week to week in FCS there are a lot of "bad" teams on paper who step up and beat good teams. Harvard lost to Columbia yet awful coaching and one in 100 hail mary aside had Dartmouth beat. Columbia is not good folks. It happens. Anyway, at the end of the day it all should get sorted out but I know the thinking around Monmouth is we would love to get the Patriot league winner in the 1st rd should we make it.

Daytripper
November 11th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I love your enthusiasm for Monmouth football.

aceinthehole
November 11th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Neither CCSU or Monmouth is getting a seed. In fact, it is much more likely the Blue Devils and Hawks will face each other in the First Round.

Anyway you slice it, Monmouth's win over an overrated KSU team is actually losing its value as the season goes on. The Albany win will probably have more value.

I don't think CCSU's MOV or schedule is particularly strong, however we have a Top-5 defense, Payton watch list QB, and the schedule will improve closing out with RMU and Duquesne. I'm confident we deserve to be ranked somewhere in the 12-16 range.

MUHAWKS
November 11th, 2019, 11:40 AM
I love your enthusiasm for Monmouth football.

Haha- you seem genuine with that comment-

I mean yeah I was on one of the first teams ever at MU (1997-2000) after starting football just 4 years earlier. We were essentially a D-3 program playing 1-AA with NO money available to athletes playing pretty bad competition. We played teams like stonehill, st peters, albright and hartwick our first year. We slowly built our way up and had some good years albeit still at the non-scholly level. During the 90's a "play up" game would be Towson or Dayton or Lehigh. We were in the NEC and started to do well winning a few NEC championships in the 2000's and playing up a bit more.. We started to get guys in the NFL (Miles Austin the most notable) but we kept building. There was a vision andvCoach Callahan who has been there since day 1 kept believing and we kept succeeding and got limited scholarships and we started getting more and more guys in the NFL over the years and just built a decent program.

When our hoops team let the NEC we were forced out and the Big South was the only place really to go. We played independent for a year and struggled but started to build the scholarships up (we are STILL NOT AT THE FULL 63) and by a few years ago we seemed to have 1-2 guys every year in NFL camps and rosters. So to see the success we had in 2017 and then again last year parlayed into this year where we have a very legit chance at winning the big south and getting a winnable first rd playoff game and we think maybe more, it is very exciting. There is a lot of continuity on the staff and we really feel we are a family now. When you add to it that I have loved football from when i was a kid to the fact that I am a NJ guy and the pureness of FCS football, this is about as exciting as it gets.. We have literally grown from a glorified d-3 team to a top 20 program and have had no less than 3 players on NFL rosters for the last few years. It is awesome and we really think we can play with anyone this year if we are on our game and healthy..

MUHAWKS
November 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Neither CCSU or Monmouth is getting a seed. In fact, it is much more likely the Blue Devils and Hawks will face each other in the First Round.

Anyway you slice it, Monmouth's win over an overrated KSU team is actually losing its value as the season goes on. The Albany win will probably have more value.

I don't think CCSU's MOV or schedule is particularly strong, however we have a Top-5 defense, Payton watch list QB, and the schedule will improve closing out with RMU and Duquesne. I'm confident we deserve to be ranked somewhere in the 12-16 range.

yeah man, I am with you.. I love CCSU doing well and I can sense from you that you feel the same about us. Smaller East coast schools we need to support each other. I think you may be right about us playing each other in the first round.That would suck b/c frankly it would be looked at for us (from the outside) as playing some over rated NEC team but we know it would be a tough game against a good team. May as well play a Villanova or Towson. I think you get my drift. But at this point neither of us can complain. We too BTW have a Payton watch list QB as well as our RB now- not that it means too much but it is nice.. I would much rather see Holy Cross somehow win the PL and play them and somehow have Nova get a seed and play them round 2!! Last two weeks will be fun and interesting but at this point def pulling for CCSU over RMU etc.. Still cannot believe you are one awful blocked punt from having that FBS win and unblemished record.. These bigger school guys I dont think understand how good certain "bad" teams can be in the NEC and similar. So we just have to prove ourselves in the playoffs and hopefully not against each other..

aceinthehole
November 11th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Yep. I'm betting the #2 CAA team will almost certainly get the Patriot League AQ.

It is also very likely that CCSU and Monmouth both face CAA teams, especially if the league gets a total of 4 teams.

If only 3 CAA teams qualify, I could see CCSU getting a trip to a CAA opponent and Monmouth getting matched-up against N.C. A&T (assuming they're in).

We'll have a much better idea after next week.