PDA

View Full Version : I-A Transfer Starters

Bub
August 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
One thing I've noticed about scholarship I-AA football is its seeming heavy reliance on I-A transfers. This view is not supported by scientific analysis of any means. I knowthat is a rarity among the opinions espoused here. :)

My question, for those of you following scholarship teams, look at this seasons expected starters, what number will be I-A transfers to your programs? By this I mean a transfer to your program at any time.

It seems the top teams must carry a heavy contingent of I-A transfers to compete for conference and higher titles. Do you agree or disagree?

JMU Duke Dog
August 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM
JMU's I-A transfers that will definitely start in 2005:
QB Justin Rascati (Louisville)

JMU's I-A transfers that could potential start in 2005:
OG Mike Parham (Virginia Tech)
WR Chris Hawkins (NC State)

JMU's I-A transfers that probably will not start in 2005:
QB Joey Atkins (Kent State)
LB Rowdy Rudd (Independence Junior College)
SS Robbie Catterton (Virginia)
WS Phil Minafield (Hutchinson Junior College)

JMU Duke Dog
August 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM
JMU's I-A transfers that will definitely start in 2005:
QB Justin Rascati (Louisville)

JMU's I-A transfers that could potentially start in 2005:
OG Mike Parham (Virginia Tech)
WR Chris Hawkins (NC State)

JMU's I-A transfers that probably will not start in 2005:
QB Joey Atkins (Kent State)
SS Robbie Catterton (Virginia)

WMTribe90
August 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
BUB,

WM made it to the semifinals last year with only one transfer on the roster. He didn't start, but played significant time at TB and was the team's second leading rusher (yards).

Elijah Brooks (Kent State)

Thumper250
August 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM
GWU has only a few this season that I know of currently.

Starters (Preseason All-American actually)
Sr. Brandon Schweitzer (6'3", 275) at DTackle (U. of South Carolina)

Possible starters
Jr. Kelvin German (5-11, 220) at RB (Middle Tennessee State)

I read in the local paper yesterday that G-W added a big (315 lbs) DTackle from the Raleigh area that had been recruited by some I-A folk, but he's not a transfer. Should help quickly though.

rcny46
August 10th, 2005, 10:06 AM
UNH has only one transfer starter.That would be senior Tim Carnigan,OG,6'4'' and 310# from Syracuse.The only other transfer on the roster is sophomore WR J.E. Fredrickson who came in from Kent State.His father,Tucker,was a former starter at TE for the NY Giants.

Kaduce
August 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM
RB Ryan Cole (Oregon State) will probably start for Eastern, but nothing is set in stone.

Bub
August 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Maybe I should broaden the question, how many I-A transfers do you anticipate receiving considerable playing time?

catbob
August 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Starters as of fall camp according to media guide

WR/KR Tremaine Murray - Washington State - SR - 1st year on team
DL Andy Matakis - Texas A&M - JR - 2nd year (injured until conference play most likely)

Players that will play
DB Chris Davis - New Mexico State - JR - 1st year on team
DT Chris Kolone - Arizona - RSFR - 1st year on team
WR/KR Jevon Miller - Washington State - SR - 1t year on team
RB Mike Bass - Hawaii - SR - 1st year on team

And there are several guys from JC as well. Kramer likes to get the quick fix, which can work, but can also backfire. We'll see.

Mr. C
August 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM
UNH has only one transfer starter.That would be senior Tim Carnigan,OG,6'4'' and 310# from Syracuse.The only other transfer on the roster is sophomore WR J.E. Fredrickson who came in from Kent State.His father,Tucker,was a former starter at TE for the NY Giants.
Tucker Fredrickson was a halfback and a fullback during his years in the NFL with the New York Giants from 1965-71, rushing for 2,209 yards and gaining 1,011 as a pass receiver. He was a college star at Auburn. It's always interesting to track the progress of second generation players.

FU97
August 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Off the top of my head I know of 1 definite starter (Martin) and one potential starter (Brigham) that are 1-A transfers for Furman.

Brigham was actually recruited heavily by Furman but went to Vandy for 1 year before realizing the errors of his ways. I think he was part of Bobby Johnson's first class at Vandy after BJ left Furman.

rcny46
August 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
OOPS! Egg on my face again! You're right about Tucker being a FB.I also realized I spelled his last name incorrectly.It should be Frederickson,not Fredrickson.My apologies.

ChickenMan
August 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Delaware

starters...

WR - Joey Bleymaire... Arizona St
QB - Sonny Riccio... Missouri

should play...

TE - Justin LaForgia... Cincinnati
OT - Rob Bergman... Miami Fl
OT - Joe Holler... Penn St

Husky Alum
August 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Northeastern's 1-A Transfers who should get time..

Bill Monan WR/KR (Temple) - His uncle is the former head of Boston College.

Pat Graham WR/KR (Western Michigan)

Joe Mele LB (Illinois) - likely starter

GoGuins
August 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
YSU starters
WR Jameson Evans - Purdue
RB Monty Gibson - Kentucky
LB James Terry - Virginia
LB Maurice Smith - Michigan State

will play
RB Regis Edgerson - South Carolina
RB Marcus Mason - Illinois (just arrived)
DT Greg Jacobs - Vanderbilt
QB (back-up) - Vince Gliatta - Penn State

Mr. C
August 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Off the top of my head I know of 1 definite starter (Martin) and one potential starter (Brigham) that are 1-A transfers for Furman.

Brigham was actually recruited heavily by Furman but went to Vandy for 1 year before realizing the errors of his ways. I think he was part of Bobby Johnson's first class at Vandy after BJ left Furman.
WR Brian Stone is another Florida transfer at Furman. As a matter of fact, he is the guy who talked Ingle Martin into coming to Furman.

Mr. C
August 10th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Appalachian State kicker Julian Rauch came from East Carolina and defensive tackles Arthur and Daniel Orlebar transferred from Wake Forest. Reserve linebacker Brian Stokes started at East Carolina, got injured, joined the Marines and served in Iraq before coming to ASU. Eric Elsener, who has one start at QB for the Mountaineers and is now a third-string WR began his career ar Air Force.

Many I-AA schools use I-A transfers as a way of increasing depth, filling a hole, or rebuilding depleted rosters. Teams that bring in a ton of I-A transfers are usually teams that are trying to move from being bottom feeders to competing quickly. It usually isn't a recipe for success.

umassfan
August 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Are we talking new transfers or total transfers because that could make my list long.

OLine Brent Caldwell Syracuse... could start
OLine Jon Carnes Rutgers... wont start backup center
DLine John Hatchell Lehigh(I know hes not form I-A) will prob start
QB Taylor Humphrey Hawaii... dont see him starting this season
RB Matt Lawrence UConn... backup running back
FB Frank McDonald(from Northeastern)... prob will start
SS Michael Meggett West Virginia... wont start this season
DLine Patrick Powell Maryland... could start or see alot of time
DLine Lateef Taylor Cincinatti... will be a backup
LB Brad Anderson Vanderbelt... might start

Fordham
August 10th, 2005, 01:50 PM
what's the story behind the Hatchell (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hatchell_john01.html) transfer from Lehigh?

General: After sitting out 2004 season as a transfer from Lehigh heads into fall camp as starting defensive tackles ... Expected to be a huge factor for the Minutemen along defensive front ... Strongest player on the team who can bench press nearly 500 pounds ... Excellent inside presence ... Intimidating specimen.

Bub
August 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Total transfers just not new.

golionsgo
August 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM
One thing I've noticed about scholarship I-AA football is its seeming heavy reliance on I-A transfers. This view is not supported by scientific analysis of any means. I knowthat is a rarity among the opinions espoused here. :)

My question, for those of you following scholarship teams, look at this seasons expected starters, what number will be I-A transfers to your programs? By this I mean a transfer to your program at any time.

It seems the top teams must carry a heavy contingent of I-A transfers to compete for conference and higher titles. Do you agree or disagree?

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

As far as direct transfers, we have two who should start. Sophomore Jerald Watson (5-11, 220) should start at tailback after transferring from Auburn at the Christmas break, and Jim Hall (6-3, 198) from LSU, has been our starting kicker/punter the last couple of years. Kenny Johnson (6-1, 246), from UAB, should be a back up at defensive end. Steven Smith (6-0, 301), LSU, is a candidate to start at defensive tackle, but he was originally a walk-on there and not a scholarship player.

We have two players who will start that originally signed with I-A schools, but went the JC route before coming here. Derrick Mincey (6-1, 314) originally signed with Georgia Tech out of high school and will be a three year starter for us at defensive tackle, and Rudy Johnson (6-2, 232) originally signed with LSU out of high school, and will start at defensive end.

Damien Huren (6-1, 217) signed with Mississippi State in 2004 out of JC, but decided at the last minute to come to our place. He started at outside LB for us last year and had 12 sacks.

That's all I know of for now.

umassfan
August 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
what's the story behind the Hatchell (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hatchell_john01.html) transfer from Lehigh?

General: After sitting out 2004 season as a transfer from Lehigh heads into fall camp as starting defensive tackles ... Expected to be a huge factor for the Minutemen along defensive front ... Strongest player on the team who can bench press nearly 500 pounds ... Excellent inside presence ... Intimidating specimen.
His brother Jason is also at UMass. I dont know if he came here to play with his brother or what. He is expected to start on our DLine this year though. He broke our bench press record last year in fall workouts.

Lafalumni29
August 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Delaware

starters...

should play...

Shouldn't Delawares entire roster be listed for this post? Seriously, does Keeler actually recruit any undergards? This is how he became successful at Rowan.

GoGuins
August 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Shouldn't Delawares entire roster be listed for this post? Seriously, does Keeler actually recruit any undergards? This is how he became successful at Rowan.

He may have had them at Rowan but he still wasn't able to beat Mount Union, OH.

nick9c
August 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM
FU's WR Brian Stone, a transfer from Florida, will probably be a starter.

Cocky
August 10th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Starters:
Darren Williams S, Mississippi St
Drew Robinson LB, Ga Southern
Mike Gibson DL, Mississippi
Rod Olds OL, West Virginia
Josh Woolfork DL, Morris Brown
Danny Bell WR, Mississippi

Others available:
Jarren Humphrey LB, Memphis St
Dacquin Bryant CB, Troy
Rusty Hill TE, Alabama

Redshirt:
LaMarcus Rowell LB, Auburn

This is all I can think of not including JC transfers.

Sam Adams
August 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
His brother Jason is also at UMass. I dont know if he came here to play with his brother or what. He is expected to start on our DLine this year though. He broke our bench press record last year in fall workouts.

He just broke his own BP record. Not sure how good a tackle football player he is, but he's a strong fella.

umassfan
August 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
He just broke his own BP record. Not sure how good a tackle football player he is, but he's a strong fella.

Its always good when he can lift up 1.5 OLinemen lol

jsualum97
August 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM
There are a couple of errors in my friend "COCKY's" list of transfers.
Mike Gipson and Danny Bell are no longer on the team. I believe that they were asked to leave.

Gamecocks99
August 10th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Cocky

Is Rowell completely out for the year?

Cocky
August 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
There are a couple of errors in my friend "COCKY's" list of transfers.
Mike Gipson and Danny Bell are no longer on the team. I believe that they were asked to leave.

That's what a old man's memory gets you. Did I miss anymore? or leave any off?

Cocky
August 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Cocky

Is Rowell completely out for the year?

That is my understanding. Unless, as FU people put it, we can pull a Clemson.

Gamecocks99
August 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
JSU97, Why were they ask to leave?

RadMann
August 10th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Lafalumni29: It is "alumnus" not "alumni" unless you have multiple personalities... lol (I figured I'd dig on your word usage after your cheap shot about UD)

HensRock
August 11th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Delaware

starters...

should play...

At the risk of perpetuating the "Transfer-U" label, you missed a few:

WR - David Boler... Southern Cal (would have started but is out for season w/ injury)
LB - Mark Zambrano... Eastern Michigan (probably will not start but will see time)
DL - Rachid Stoury... West Virginia (probably won't start but will see time)

Fordham
August 11th, 2005, 08:17 AM
obligatory Shawn Johnson reference

ChickenMan
August 11th, 2005, 08:25 AM
At the risk of perpetuating the "Transfer-U" label, you missed a few:

WR - David Boler... Southern Cal (would have started but is out for season w/ injury)
LB - Mark Zambrano... Eastern Michigan (probably will not start but will see time)
DL - Rachid Stoury... West Virginia (probably won't start but will see time)

Stoury may play some... but Zambrano isn't listed on the three deep and as you stated... Boler won't play at all.

henfan
August 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Fordham said

obligatory Shawn Johnson reference

So, how far along in the Fordham application process did Shawn Johnson actually get before the folks in the PL office informed FU that, due to a quirky conference rule, the big guy wouldn't be eligible to play football? I counted one month (from 3/16 until 4/17/03.) Just the same, we did appreciate the FU coaching staff referring Shawn down to Newark. Nice gesture. :D

Ronbo
August 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
WR Eric Allen 6'3" 205 (Oklahoma State) Soph. Has already secured a WR spot.

OL Brent Russum 6'5" 290 (Arizona St.) RS Frosh. Might not start but could see considerable playing time.

QB Jason Washington 6'2" 200 (Bowling Green) Junior. Right now the coaches are keeping the competition at QB close to their vest. They want Jason and RS Frosh Cole Bergquist 6'2" 195 to compete hard all fall camp for the starting position. Most of the players think Jason will be named starter, but both will play a lot the first 4-6 games. The coaches want both to get a lot of game experience in case someone gets dinged up later in the season. I think the reason Jason could be ahead of Cole is that many players feel that he is so fast and such a good runner that he could compete with Lex Hilliard at RB and maybe could even beat Lex out.
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/photo_gallery_images/2004_2005_Gr/Football/wash_fall.jpg

Fordham
August 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM
So, how far along in the Fordham application process did Shawn Johnson actually get before the folks in the PL office informed FU that, due to a quirky conference rule, the big guy wouldn't be eligible to play football? I counted one month (from 3/16 until 4/17/03.) Just the same, we did appreciate the FU coaching staff referring Shawn down to Newark. Nice gesture. :D your welcome.

and he got far enough along in the process for me to still be bitter about it.

:D

blukeys
August 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM
your welcome.

and he got far enough along in the process for me to still be bitter about it.

:D

Switch to the A-10/CAA and you won't have to put up with asinine rules meant to satisfy the bottom feeders of your conference.

Fordham
August 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
HA! You're talking to the wrong Fordham poster (have to go to the FU board to find the A-10/CAA humper). I obviously respect the quality of play (how can you not?) that you guys have but am one of those that love the PL affiliation. Add in scholarships and I start doing my Meg Ryan at Katz' Deli imitation.

blukeys
August 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Add in scholarships and I start doing my Meg Ryan at Katz' Deli imitation.

As Rob Reiner's Mom said after that awesome performance. "I'll have what she's having."

Bub
August 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Charged lineman will play for A&T
Aug 12, 2005
GREENSBORO -- A former University of Michigan football standout registered for classes at N.C. A&T on Thursday and intends to play for the Aggies while awaiting trial on four felony counts of indecent exposure in Ann Arbor, Mich. Larry Harrison Jr. will be removed from the team if convicted, but he will remain eligible otherwise under presumption of innocence, A&T coach George Small said Thursday.

I'm sorry, but is this the type of player that I-AA should be going after? I see a reoccurring theme of players getting booted out of their I-A program for various infractions or crimes, and getting picked up by a I-AA school. see, e.g. the thread about the Ill. RB transferring after numerous thefts and the Hakim Hill episode at UNI after his crimes while a juvenile, to his problems at ASU getting him booted & UNI picking him up for his umpteenth chance only to have more charges filed before he got to UNI. Is it me, or does anyone else see a problem?

ChickenMan
August 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Those guys are are a problem... but most transfers are not 'problems'. For the most part they are just guys who are looking for a chance to play. I know UD has not and would not take anyone that could be considered a problem child and I believe that most 1AA schools probably have similar policies.

JaxStateManager
August 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM
You can cross a few off of Jacksonville's list. Both Danny Bell and Mike Gibson have washed out.

Obzerver
August 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Sacramento State just picked up a couple of I-A transfers; QB Chris Hurd from UTEP/Washington State and WR Tyler Fannucchi via Iowa.

Bub
August 12th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Southland Conference
Telfort to join Demons on field
Former South Carolina offensive lineman and hopeful Northwestern State transfer Woodly Telfort will join the Demons for his first practice today. Telfort (6-foot-8, 330 pounds) missed the first week of practices while athletic department officials investigated two arrests on his record -- one in January for the alleged theft of a laptop and another in 2001 on a charge of grand theft auto. [ Visit Website ]

Here's another one!

RadMann
August 13th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Those brush with the law I-A transfer cases are relatively rare for any I-AA program. See the article below about DDU's transfers this year:

...."This season, the Hornets have added eight transfers who previously attended I-A programs.

The most sought-after, senior linebacker Kenny Kern from Mississippi State, will anchor an improved defense. DSU also added defensive line help in junior Stephon Hopkins (Minnesota), freshman Jamaal Jones (Purdue) and senior Ben Brinson (Central Florida) as well as two running backs, junior Emmanuel Marc (Utah State) and senior Billy Henderson (South Florida).

Athletes at Division I-A schools can transfer to a I-AA school without having to sit out a season."............

News Journal (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050813/SPORTS07/508130341/1002)

http://vh10018.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BL&Date=20050813&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=508130341&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&title=1

charliej
August 13th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Nova has 1 transfer who should see time.I feel he will be starting before the end of the year.

OL Izzy Bauta from Duke