November 9th, 2019, 11:49 PM
It's that time of the year! Some off the top of my head

Joe Conlin (Fordham)
Danny Rocco (Delaware)
John Garrett (Lafayette), if they lose their last two
Jim Flemming (Rhode Island)
Bo Pelini (Youngstown State)
Tim Walsh (Cal Poly)

Walsh still has another 2 years on his contract. Earnest Collins of NoCo does, too, though the record has been bad enough that I suppose it's possible he could be canned.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2019, 11:51 PM
Walsh still has another 2 years on his contract. Earnest Collins of NoCo does, too, though the record has been bad enough that I suppose it's possible he could be canned.

Walsh hasn't been able to establish anything at Cal Poly. Perhaps they'll work out an incentive to get Walsh to retire a year or two early? Something has to give in SLO....

Schism55
November 10th, 2019, 12:13 AM
Grass at Jax St?

CockyGeek
November 10th, 2019, 12:20 AM
Grass at Jax St?Not in a million years. You keep your job at JSU by being a good Christian man. And he has the Five Rings[emoji2400] to show off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 10th, 2019, 12:30 AM
If we weren't on year 2 of a 3-year contract with Coach Elliott, I'd say him (although actually putting a notch in the win column a week ago cooled it off quite a bit for now). We don't have the money to be buying out any contracts right about now though. I think if we don't at least have a winning record next year, he's probably gone. From everything I've heard, he's a great guy, everyone likes him, I just don't think he has enough experience yet to be the top man at a MVFC team.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2019, 09:22 AM
If we weren't on year 2 of a 3-year contract with Coach Elliott, I'd say him (although actually putting a notch in the win column a week ago cooled it off quite a bit for now). We don't have the money to be buying out any contracts right about now though. I think if we don't at least have a winning record next year, he's probably gone. From everything I've heard, he's a great guy, everyone likes him, I just don't think he has enough experience yet to be the top man at a MVFC team.

Whoever your "rah-rah" man is that has a raspy voice, backwards hat, and ink on his sleeves, I'm thinking your players would run through a brick wall for him. Dude was screaming **** out, even when down 40-7.

Daytripper
November 10th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Schultz at Lamar.

ST_Lawson
November 10th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Whoever your "rah-rah" man is that has a raspy voice, backwards hat, and ink on his sleeves, I'm thinking your players would run through a brick wall for him. Dude was screaming **** out, even when down 40-7.

Defensive coach? Might have been John Haneline (https://goleathernecks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/john-haneline/2316), our D-line coach.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/133398249/1556292177/1500x500

Paladin1aa
November 10th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Bozo at YSU has 2 more years on a recent contract extension, another example of the incompetent AD and they don’t have the money to buy him out. Yet everyone knows now he needs to go.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Defensive coach? Might have been John Haneline (https://goleathernecks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/john-haneline/2316), our D-line coach.

That would be him. Dude sounded off more than a drill sergeant. I don't know one thing about him, but, from my perspective, he seemed like the only coach who kept giving it 100% until the final whistle and if he came recruiting, I'd have my bag packed and say "where the hell we off to next?"

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Joe Conlin (Fordham)
Danny Rocco (Delaware)
Tim Walsh (Cal Poly)

the Best sources say Danny Rocco's seat is not that hot despite his poor performance, he is in year 3 of a 5 year deal

katss07
November 10th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Schultz at Lamar.
Really? Lamar just made the playoffs and isn’t at the bottom of the toughest Southland in many years. I wouldn’t say he’s on the hot seat.

Mocs123
November 10th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Bobby Lamb at Mercer????

GoBlueHens83
November 10th, 2019, 01:17 PM
the Best sources say Danny Rocco's seat is not that hot despite his poor performance, he is in year 3 of a 5 year deal

I've seen enough of this dude, he's not an upgrade over Brock at this point. I do think that his job is safe this season, but it shouldn't be.

youwouldno
November 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Bobby Lamb at Mercer????

Yeah, I find it very unlikely his contract will be extended. That's the thing, especially in FCS . . . contract status is a huge limiting factor in what schools can do. Since Mercer can move on without financial consequence, they'll go in a new direction.

Mocs123
November 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Rocco seemed like a rock star hire for Delaware a few years ago as did Huesman at Richmond, but neither have quite worked out as planned. College Football is an odd thing as obviously both had been successful FCS coaches at their prior stops coaching top 10 teams.

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2019, 01:49 PM

you know how theres some guys that when they ask you to jump, you don't question why, you just ask how high ???? Well I'd be too afraid to even ask this guy how high.

Puddin Tane
November 10th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Really? Lamar just made the playoffs and isn’t at the bottom of the toughest Southland in many years. I wouldn’t say he’s on the hot seat.

hes turrible.

FormerPokeCenter
November 10th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Rocco seemed like a rock star hire for Delaware a few years ago as did Huesman at Richmond, but neither have quite worked out as planned. College Football is an odd thing as obviously both had been successful FCS coaches at their prior stops coaching top 10 teams.

Can you really call Chattanooga a top 10 team? I mean, yeah, they won a few SoCon titles in the post Ga Southern / App State era, but I'm not sure that makes them a top 10 team...

ST_Lawson
November 10th, 2019, 03:10 PM
you know how theres some guys that when they ask you to jump, you don't question why, you just ask how high ???? Well I'd be too afraid to even ask this guy how high.

You just jump and don't come down 'till he tells you to come down.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2019, 03:44 PM

Rocco was no Rock Star in the eyes of everyone.... but generally I think your statement is correct

Penguin Nation
November 10th, 2019, 06:22 PM

Joe Conlin (Fordham)
Danny Rocco (Delaware)
Tim Walsh (Cal Poly)

YSU is not a normal University. The Athletic Department is a cess pool of incompetence and corruption. I've followed YSU sports for over 40 years, and no one has done more damage to the school than him, and its not even close. If DumBo stopped off on the way home from the Vermillion Massacre and burned down the stadium he'd still be absolutely fine. During the final two years of his contract, he will complete YSU's transformation into the new Misery State....and even then his contract may be renewed.

The MVFC may be wise to kick out YSU as YSU will devalue the elite status of the conference. Kicking out YSU gets you back to 10 after UND joins. YSU is more appropriate both geographically and competitively in the OVC or NEC (due to the NEC-rich OOC schedule every year they're already almost there).

Milktruck74
November 10th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Can you really call Chattanooga a top 10 team? I mean, yeah, they won a few SoCon titles in the post Ga Southern / App State era, but I'm not sure that makes them a top 10 team...

The Voters on here called them a top 10 team on a few occasions. And as far as the post ASU/GSU SoCon....don't forget the Mocs beat App State the last time they played them!

Go Green
November 10th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Cornell fans on the Ivy Board seem pretty united in their opinion that it's time to move on from Dave Archer.

We will see what happens...

Paladin1aa
November 10th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Sorry, PN, but Pelini is not the worst thing to happen to YSU. It’s AD Strollo with coach hires, contract extensions, game scheduling, etc. But the latest scandal vaults him to the top as the story of sexual assault on campus by 3 YSU athletes is revealed and includes the revelation that not only was one of the athletes readmitted to school but graduated and then HIRED to coach............................ wait for it..................

a women’s team.

Talk about balls.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Sorry, PN, but Pelini is not the worst thing to happen to YSU. It’s AD Strollo with coach hires, contract extensions, game scheduling, etc. But the latest scandal vaults him to the top as the story of sexual assault on campus by 3 YSU athletes is revealed and includes the revelation that not only was one of the athletes readmitted to school but graduated and then HIRED to coach............................ wait for it..................

a women’s team.

Talk about balls.
Wow... Strollo can't possibly survive this can he?

Scrappy94
November 10th, 2019, 07:45 PM

I mean... Chattanooga was ranked as high as #3 at one point under Huesman.

Derby City Duke
November 10th, 2019, 10:10 PM

a women’s team.

Talk about balls.

Yikes! How can the AD and the coach in question (and the HC in that sport) hold onto their jobs?

ngineer
November 10th, 2019, 11:00 PM
Cornell fans on the Ivy Board seem pretty united in their opinion that it's time to move on from Dave Archer.

Since when has Cornell gotten interested in football, again?

dewey
November 10th, 2019, 11:02 PM

a women’s team.

Talk about balls.

WOW! How does this happen? Was the coach not charged?

Dewey

JayJ79
November 10th, 2019, 11:23 PM

are you saying that Archer may be in the....
https://d3fa68hw0m2vcc.cloudfront.net/458/113198252.jpeg

Penguin Nation
November 11th, 2019, 12:05 AM
Agree to a point, Paladin. I was addressing DumBo specifically as the thread was about HCs. No doubt moRon is at fault, but also so is Tressel and the BOT. moRon has a job at Scumbag U only because Tressel and the BOT allow him to be there. The latest scandal maybe the worst of them all...and the bar has been set very high.

Any fan that doesn’t want to see decades more of the scandals, incompetence and humiliation needs to boycott YSU and the businesses that sponsor YSU athletics. It’s the only possible hope for change.

tierre
November 11th, 2019, 01:47 AM
I think Donald Hill-Eley at Alabama St. is on the hot seat. He was named the interim head coach at Alabama St. midseason when Brian Jenkins was fired. He was given a 2 year contract. He went 4-7 last year with 3 of those wins in overtime and this year is on the verge of being eliminated from the SWAC Championship race if Alcorn wins any of its last 2 games.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2019, 05:29 AM
Not sure what is contract status is, but I think the natives are getting restless with Chris Hatcher at Samford.

Mocs123
November 11th, 2019, 05:34 AM
I heard a rumor that Mercer might be interested in Hatcher. No idea if there is any validity to it.

Cocky
November 11th, 2019, 06:22 AM
I heard a rumor that Mercer might be interested in Hatcher. No idea if there is any validity to it.
If true, I wonder why?

Mocs123
November 11th, 2019, 06:27 AM
I know he's from Macon and supposedly very highly thought of there. Personally, I think Hatcher has been an FCS coach long enough to predict that he'll continue to have good but great teams that can beat anyone, but are also very inconsistent - just due to his style of play. I'm not sure their record would be any different than it is now under Lamb.

centennial
November 11th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I am surprised no one is saying Bob Nielson. South Dakota seem determined about winning. This season could easily be 4-8, last year was 4-7. 2017 was 8-5 when they caught lightening in a bottle and Chris Streveler(CFL QB) pulled them to this record. Even 2016 was 4-7.

He should probably go after this season.

Fordham
November 11th, 2019, 07:43 AM
C'mon owl, you know Fordham better than that. I understand Fordham has had the quickest trigger of the PL schools but Conlin's seat nowhere near warm yet.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2019, 07:47 AM
https://gatehousenews.com/youngstown/

walliver
November 11th, 2019, 08:34 AM

I really don't see how Hatcher would be much more effective at Mercer than he has been at Samford. He has made the playoffs a few times, but he also inherited a good team from Pat Sullivan. Maybe Mercer feels that if they hire Hatcher, they have a chance at beating Wofford ;)

If Mercer wants to hire someone with SoCon experience, one of the Furman coordinators would be a good choice. I suspect Mercer has higher ambitions than a coach who creates good, but not great, seasons.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I really don't see how Hatcher would be much more effective at Mercer than he has been at Samford. He has made the playoffs a few times, but he also inherited a good team from Pat Sullivan. Maybe Mercer feels that if they hire Hatcher, they have a chance at beating Wofford ;)

If Mercer wants to hire someone with SoCon experience, one of the Furman coordinators would be a good choice. I suspect Mercer has higher ambitions than a coach who creates good, but not great, seasons.

Furman's DC is in his 1st season in that role.

The OC, George Quarles, has an impressive resume, but I think that if he wanted to be a head coach somewhere, he could be. I don't necessarily see why the Mercer job would draw him out of Greenville.

My money is on Drew Cronic at Lenior Rhyne or if they go the coordinator route, picking up some of the former SoCon assistants out of Georgia State (Nate Fuqua, Shiel Wood, Brad Glenn, etc.)

Mocs123
November 11th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Drew Cronic would be a great hire - I hope they don't do it :) I'd like to see Lamb stick around but I'm not sure it will happen.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Drew Cronic would be a great hire - I hope they don't do it :) I'd like to see Lamb stick around but I'm not sure it will happen.

Not sure if it will play out the same, but in the last year of his contract, Bobby Lamb technically resigned/retired at Furman before the last game of the season.

clenz
November 11th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I am surprised no one is saying Bob Nielson. South Dakota seem determined about winning. This season could easily be 4-8, last year was 4-7. 2017 was 8-5 when they caught lightening in a bottle and Chris Streveler(CFL QB) pulled them to this record. Even 2016 was 4-7.

He should probably go after this season.With what money?

He just signed deal through 2023 at almost 300k per year

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
November 11th, 2019, 09:23 AM
With what money?

Very few, if any, FCS teams can eat that amount of money.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2019, 09:28 AM

That is usually the more relevant question.

The hot seat issue is usually a combination of results and contract. For many bigger schools, the issue is just the former.

fmftballmgr
November 11th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Stewart at Murray State needs to be on this list. No winning season in 5 years. He signed a 3 year deal last year after he took advantage our of interim AD. Should have never been extended but not having a full time AD and President at the time.

We are trying to figure out the deals of his buyout and if the new AD will do it. If he comes back all the work the new AD has put in in promoting football this year will be gone and the morale of the fan base will drop big time

He is a nice guy but the results are not there. Granted he did not have a lot to work with from the Old AD and administration.

Mocs123
November 11th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Speir at Western Carolina should probably be on the list too, but he signed a 5 year extension recently and the WCU administration seems content to just have a football team to give the band somewhere to have a halftime show.

clenz
November 11th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Exactly. This isn't the FBS (even most G5 schools) where you can accounting game your way into a buy out. Hiring HC at this level needs to be spot on or it's a disaster more than it's not.

It's also why we see so many more coaches in lame duck situations recruiting than you do at the FBS level. Hell, even Farley at UNI right now is lame duck recruiting. He's under contract for 2 more years. No extension in place. No talks of an extension. Any talk of moving on from him is basically dead at this point with how this year has gone and how young the roster is. You need to lock up for "recruiting" reasons, but locking up is such a dangerous game.

paward
November 11th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Richmond, Mercer and Delaware need new captains. Mercer is the only one that will get one for sure.

Daytripper
November 11th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Richmond, Mercer and Delaware need new captains. Mercer is the only one that will get one for sure.

I'm really surprised by Rocco's lack of success at Delaware. I thought that would be a quick and significant turnaround.

HensRock
November 11th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Thanks Jay, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!
Hilarious!

centennial
November 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
With what money?

Mind blown. Who extends a coach with 4 wins? I mistakenly thought this was his last year. It's not like he would get a better job. Might as well have extended him 2 years to see if he can turn things around, if you really don't want to change coaches. I see SD being a bottom 3-4 MVFC team for a while.

"What I'm trying to do is stay ahead, because you're now recruiting juniors," Herbster explained Tuesday afternoon. "I'm either renewing a three-year contract every year to stay ahead on the recruiting trail or putting him on a five-year contract, which gives him stability and assurance in our belief in him. From a recruiting standpoint, it gives us a level playing field with what we're dealing with with everybody else."

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2019/07/10/south-dakota-coyotes-sign-bob-nielson-leanne-williamson-to-5-year-extensions-ncaa-david-herbster/1689064001/

ST_Lawson
November 11th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Mind blown. Who extends a coach with 4 wins? I mistakenly thought this was his last year. It's not like he would get a better job. Might as well have extended him 2 years to see if he can turn things around, if you really don't want to change coaches. I see SD being a bottom 3-4 MVFC team for a while.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2019/07/10/south-dakota-coyotes-sign-bob-nielson-leanne-williamson-to-5-year-extensions-ncaa-david-herbster/1689064001/

Nope, they're stuck with him for quite a while, unless they can somehow pull together some money to buy out his contract. Unless he lucks into another Streveler, I don't think USD is going to be very successful for a while. I don't think they'll be full-on "bad"...like my guys this year or Indiana State or Missouri State for large stretches, but at best, maybe around a .500 record most of those years.

EKU05
November 11th, 2019, 03:08 PM
If I'm betting money on it I'd say more likely than not that Mark Elder is out at EKU at season's end.

rhowdyram
November 12th, 2019, 11:08 AM

Fleming is interesting in that anyone who actually knows his contract status isn't talking. He originally signed a five year deal with an option for a sixth year and we're now at the end of the sixth season. Obviously the option was triggered even though there was never a public announcement. At the end of summer camp there were reports in local papers that he was close on an extension with the school and we have had posters on the URI message board (keaneyblue.com if you're interested) who claim to be in the know state the extension is done, but again there has been no public announcement of an extension beyond this year. If an extension was done obviously he's safe and we won't be buying him out.

You can make a case either way whether he should be back or not. Last year was our first winning record since 2001, so he should probably be given the opportunity to recruit players off of that season and the improvements we made to Meade Stadium this off-season. However he does only have a 9-37 record in conference and even last year was only 4-4 in conference. He's made many questionable in game decisions, with his decisions at the end of last year's Maine game possibly costing us a shot at the playoffs and we seem to take a lot of undisciplined penalties, however he has definitely increased the talent level despite recruiting into by far the worst stadium in the conference.

I'm undecided on how I feel about a potential return, I was against his hiring in the first place. I guess so long as any extension is short enough that we can buy him out fairly painlessly I'm fine with his return.

ngineer
November 12th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Don't know enough of the specifics at URI, but it does appear he has at least brought the program back to respectability. The question is can he get it to the proverbial, "next level"?

Ivytalk
November 12th, 2019, 09:22 PM

Welp, the Ivy Board doesn’t have Phil Estes to kick around anymore.:)

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2019, 09:23 PM

For those wondering where Sterling Archer got his start.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/ArcherFX/comments/gbcic/sterling_archer_georgetown_grad/
https://external-preview.redd.it/8ZTdk-9Vy5FsDP7lsaUVjoYdPXR0PU5x31W1B0rwU4k.jpg?auto=web p&af74ad82
https://external-preview.redd.it/8ZTdk-9Vy5FsDP7lsaUVjoYdPXR0PU5x31W1B0rwU4k.jpg?auto=web p&af74ad82

fmftballmgr
November 24th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Murray state coach has be reassigned with the athletics and will not coach the football team next year