PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls Field Update

TColonel
May 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Instead of rehashing the turf vs. grass thread, I thought I would start a new thread for the Nicholls field as Archie Manning was on campus recently to take a look at the progress. Here is a link and a story from the most watch New Orleans news:

http://www.wwltv.com/video/index.html?nvid=144346&shu=1

andy7171
May 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Looks nice! I used to work in a carpet warehouse in highschool during the summer. It looked like they were seaming it every 5 yards. Intersting. That must be some heavy duty glue tape!

putter
May 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Good for the university. They still have to fork over $300k for installation! Man that is not cheap labor!!

TColonel
May 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Good for the university. They still have to fork over $300k for installation! Man that is not cheap labor!!

The $300K was for all of the drainage and subsurface work; however, Nicholls did not have to pay that total amount as a local commercial builder supplied most of the labor and heavy equipment - so the $300K is more of a PR term.

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Should have put in real grass. xcoolx xlolx :p

andy7171
May 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

Ronbo
May 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Real grass turns to hardpack cement in November and December in the North. The new turfs feel the same no matter what the weather. They are extra nice when it's been pouring and a grass field turns to a mud bowl. Our players prefer the Field Turf.

Initial cost is 5 times more but you have very little maintenence for 10-12 years, just vacuum it clean. With grass you have cutting, lining, painting, fertilizers, and pest control yearly.

andy7171
May 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Enter mplsbison, to start the war again!

89Hen
May 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Real grass turns to hardpack cement in November and December in the North.
The North of Louisiana? xeyebrowx :p

TColonel
May 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
For those who are interested, here is a second piece from the New Orleans media that gives Nicholls some additional good pub and is a bit different from the earlier one posted:

http://www.nola.com/abc26/video/?/abc26/video/content.ssf/0515state

TheRiver
May 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Looks great, looking forward to seeing it in person this year.

GeauxColonels
May 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Here is the PRESS RELEASE (http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Manning%20AstroTurf.htm)issued by the University regarding Manning's visit.

GeauxColonels
May 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm really glad to see the New Orleans media FINALLY paying some attention to Nicholls State football...but they're about 3 years behind on the logo change!!! xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

813Jag
May 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Real grass turns to hardpack cement in November and December in the North. The new turfs feel the same no matter what the weather. They are extra nice when it's been pouring and a grass field turns to a mud bowl. Our players prefer the Field Turf.

Initial cost is 5 times more but you have very little maintenence for 10-12 years, just vacuum it clean. With grass you have cutting, lining, painting, fertilizers, and pest control yearly.

The only thing that grass turns into in that part of the world is mud. When it gets that cold it's Basketball season xlolx xlolx

TColonel
May 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I'm really glad to see the New Orleans media FINALLY paying some attention to Nicholls State football...but they're about 3 years behind on the logo change!!! xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

Well, until we can get the official website of Nicholls athletics to stop using the old one, then we can throw stones. But I also have good news on this topic as the athletic department will be launching a new official site August 1 through CSTV, much like many other universities already have. Currently, the plans are to include gametracker and the audio streaming through KBZE. Additionally, Ken Berthelot is wanting to also have live video streaming of all games. His current plan is not fancy, as it will only be one camera with no replays, but it will include the audio of the radio broadcast. If he pulls that off, especially for the road games, I would be a happy Colonel fan.

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well, until we can get the official website of Nicholls athletics to stop using the old one, then we can throw stones. But I also have good news on this topic as the athletic department will be launching a new official site August 1 through CSTV, much like many other universities already have. Currently, the plans are to include gametracker and the audio streaming through KBZE. Additionally, Ken Berthelot is wanting to also have live video streaming of all games. His current plan is not fancy, as it will only be one camera with no replays, but it will include the audio of the radio broadcast. If he pulls that off, especially for the road games, I would be a happy Colonel fan.

TColonel....you have just made my entire year SOOO MUCH BETTER!!! xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

I've been saying for the last few years that they needed to update the site, use the new logo and get rid of the blue like they did with the athletic uniforms. Now to hear they're actually going to get a CSTV site! AWESOME!!!!

I would love to see the video feed from the games on there too! It would greatly help for the away games! Also, I really hope they do something to increase the merchandise selection offered on the site. I would love to be able to get a mini-helmet with the new logo to match the one I have with the old logo. Also, some more shirts would be a plus!

TColonel
May 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
TColonel....you have just made my entire year SOOO MUCH BETTER!!! xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

I've been saying for the last few years that they needed to update the site, use the new logo and get rid of the blue like they did with the athletic uniforms. Now to hear they're actually going to get a CSTV site! AWESOME!!!!

I would love to see the video feed from the games on there too! It would greatly help for the away games! Also, I really hope they do something to increase the merchandise selection offered on the site. I would love to be able to get a mini-helmet with the new logo to match the one I have with the old logo. Also, some more shirts would be a plus!

I already have one and here is the link - http://www.myteamspirit.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=nicholls&osCsid=3c83b2eb67db253b9448b5c92a7089d5&x=0&y=0

The red is a little off and be sure to ask for a gray facemask instead of the black that is shown and but all in all, it looks pretty good.

As for Nicholls merchandise from the site, Ken B. is looking to improve it through the bookstore, but is running into some opposition. The Colonel Club board is looking into having a better selection and is doing what we can to help him but politics at Nicholls is getting better but still exists.