PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State @ South Dakota

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2019, 10:04 AM
YSU fans may get to see the QB of the future start this game against USD. And instead of seeing him run for TDs as he has already done this year, his arm will be on display. The shame is that while he should have started this year as YSUs starting QB, Bozo tried to redshirt him. But with his weak starter done because of injuries and the even weaker backup also hurt and possibly not playing, their best QB now has his chance to lead the team.

Its also do or die time for YSU — win out for playoffs or lose one and stay home. I like the Penguins in this game. Your thoughts ?

ysubigred
November 5th, 2019, 10:15 AM
YSU fans may get to see the QB of the future start this game against USD. And instead of seeing him run for TDs as he has already done this year, his arm will be on display. The shame is that while he should have started this year as YSUs starting QB, Bozo tried to redshirt him. But with his weak starter done because of injuries and the even weaker backup also hurt and possibly not playing, their best QB now has his chance to lead the team.

Its also do or die time for YSU — win out for playoffs or lose one and stay home. I like the Penguins in this game. Your thoughts ?

I wonder if the YSU coaching staff thought they were good enough on D to get by without starting their best on O? As we seen the D is not to swift and the O was as usual not good!? Inquiring minds want to know xlmaox

I'm guessing YSU's packed it in. 37-14 USD

CappinHard
November 5th, 2019, 10:25 AM
I know Mays is out, but USD is favored by 1 in this game?!

Penguin Nation
November 5th, 2019, 10:38 AM
If Scum U wins out, they are still the 5th team in, assuming SIU goes in as #4. 3/4 of the way into the season, the best item on their resume is a win over a NEC team. 8-4 prolly does allow them to stumble and trip their way into the first round. The problem with that is any playoff invite will be seen as a vindication of this sh--show of a HC.

Dumbo is a terrible HC, but I also would've redshirted Waid, and never played him in the 4 cupcake games anticipating an eventual injury to the top QBs, which obvi is not what DumBo did. This reminds me of giving Wells the starting role out of desperation when he was ready to transfer to a D2 program. He can't recruit, and what he does recruit, he can't manage.

My prediction: sloppy and unconvincing wins at USD and ISUb, and a loss to ISUr...who also will need to win to advance.

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Red - yes, both Pelinis ,who are D coaches ,thought the D would carry them with the return of Reed and Hegedus from injury and the returning starters. But their LBs aren’t that good and #7 is a liability at CB. The O would have been MUCH better with Waid starting - a competent passer and excellent runner. But they misjudged using Mays / Craycraft as experienced QBs and still had liabilities at both OTs.

PN - both Duquesne and Bobby Morris May win the NEC and YSU beat both overwhelmingly. ISUr is still ranked , so 8-4, beating a league Champ and a ranked team may be enough to get them in. Bozo is a terrible recruiter. That we agree on. But if they don’t go to the playoffs this year, next year looks like a disaster even with a very good QB. They will have no OL and D will be full of holes.

I don’t see USD as very strong. If YSU can’t beat them, it will mean the players have already packed it in.

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2019, 12:06 PM
YSU game notes are posted on USD website. They list Craycraft as the starter, Waid the backup and Collins at #3. Collins is 6’7, 230 and played for State Champ Columbus Bishop Hartley. Not mobile, strong arm but not accurate. Notes also mention YSU has only played Waid in 3 games. Would not be surprised to see Waid play one more game, but if they lose, Collins becomes the backup and Waid is redshirted.

Alessi listed at RB.

Paladin1aa
November 5th, 2019, 12:13 PM
YSU leads this series 6-1, winning 29-17 last year. While 5dimes lists USD as 1 point favorites, I don’t get the connection as USD lost to hapless West. Ill last week while YSU blew WIU out 2 weeks ago. Go figure.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2019, 12:37 PM
YSU wins this game. Even with a true FR QB, YSU should beat USD.

USD plays no defense and has trouble stopping the run and pass.

#104 in total defense
#93 in scoring defense
#122 in passing defense

YSU: run it down their throat and let your FR QB run the ball also....kid looks like he is going to be a good one.

The few Yote fans that post on this site are sure silent lately.....xeyebrowx

Penguin Nation
November 5th, 2019, 12:43 PM
This would be the first road win for them (Samford was a neutral site). Massey favors YSU by only 3. But I agree....YSU +1 seems like a good investment.

Yote 53
November 5th, 2019, 02:27 PM
YSU wins this game. Even with a true FR QB, YSU should beat USD.

USD plays no defense and has trouble stopping the run and pass.

#104 in total defense
#93 in scoring defense
#122 in passing defense

YSU: run it down their throat and let your FR QB run the ball also....kid looks like he is going to be a good one.

The few Yote fans that post on this site are sure silent lately.....xeyebrowx

Silent because I didn't expect to see any discussion about USD anymore on this site. This team is done, packed it in for the season. With an outside playoff chance on the line two weeks ago the team comes out uninspired and terrible against SIU at home, then goes on the road and plays an uninspired, mistake filled game against a winless WIU. I expect they come out this week against YSU with the same crap we've seen the last couple of weeks. In fact, I almost hope our defense continues to get exposed as I want some changes made on that side of the ball because that's the only way we're going to progress moving forward. Offensively, USD can move the ball and score just have got to avoid turnovers and mental mistakes. Defensively, we can't stop anything and we play like a warm fart.

ysubigred
November 5th, 2019, 03:02 PM
Silent because I didn't expect to see any discussion about USD anymore on this site. This team is done, packed it in for the season. With an outside playoff chance on the line two weeks ago the team comes out uninspired and terrible against SIU at home, then goes on the road and plays an uninspired, mistake filled game against a winless WIU. I expect they come out this week against YSU with the same crap we've seen the last couple of weeks. In fact, I almost hope our defense continues to get exposed as I want some changes made on that side of the ball because that's the only way we're going to progress moving forward. Offensively, USD can move the ball and score just have got to avoid turnovers and mental mistakes. Defensively, we can't stop anything and we play like a warm fart.

LOL this may go into 5 OT's 0-0 because either team seems inspired xlmaox

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2019, 07:43 PM

This is on the coaching staff.

Has Nielsen done any better in his multiple years as HC compared to Glenn?

Was Streveler Glenn's recruit/transfer?

Pretty easy......if you cannot stop anyone, you are not going to win many games.

Houndawg
November 6th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Red - yes, both Pelinis ,who are D coaches ,thought the D would carry them with the return of Reed and Hegedus from injury and the returning starters. But their LBs aren’t that good and #7 is a liability at CB. The O would have been MUCH better with Waid starting - a competent passer and excellent runner. But they misjudged using Mays / Craycraft as experienced QBs and still had liabilities at both OTs.

PN - both Duquesne and Bobby Morris May win the NEC and YSU beat both overwhelmingly. ISUr is still ranked , so 8-4, beating a league Champ and a ranked team may be enough to get them in. Bozo is a terrible recruiter. That we agree on. But if they don’t go to the playoffs this year, next year looks like a disaster even with a very good QB. They will have no OL and D will be full of holes.

I don’t see USD as very strong. If YSU can’t beat them, it will mean the players have already packed it in.

SIU beat both of them convincingly in consecutive weeks, YSU at home when they were ranked 18th, and USD on the road. Even with 8 wins YSU doesn't belong in the playoffs this year

Yote 53
November 6th, 2019, 08:53 AM

Pretty easy......if you cannot stop anyone, you are not going to win many games.

I agree it is on the coaching staff. Totally agree about the defense. It absolutely has to be fixed. We're committed to Bob at this point, he'll have to make the necessary changes in the coaching staff to fix the issues. If he doesn't we continue to lose and when we get close enough to the end of his contract he gets fired and we start over again. Simple as that.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2019, 09:18 AM
You may be right Houndawg. We will see how it plays out. Looking at the field there are not a lot of tough teams out there. For now, they have to play to get to 8-4. Maybe they get in and maybe not.

ST_Lawson
November 6th, 2019, 09:42 AM

Glenn (2012-2015) went 12-34 in 4 years, .261 record with 0 winning seasons and 0 playoff appearances
Nielson (2016-2019), so far, is 19-25 through all but 3 games of 4 years .432 record with 1 winning season and 1 playoff appearance (1-1).

At this point, I'd say it looks like Nielson is marginally better than Glenn was strictly from a numbers perspective, but considering the money they've put into the program and facilities recently, I think that Coyotes fans were hoping for something a bit more than "marginally better". Not saying they'd be NDSU-level, but somewhere in the range of UNI/SDSU (winning season more often than not, frequent playoff appearances) is what I think they were aiming for at this point.

I don't know enough to say whether Streveler was on Glenn or Nielson. He transferred from Minnesota between the 2015 and 2016 seasons, but I don't know if Glenn had been working on him already, or if it was entirely Nielson who started knocking on his door when he went to USD.

Penguin Nation
November 6th, 2019, 11:30 AM
An 8-4 Scum U should not get in over a 7-5 SIU team. If that happens, it'd be foolish to schedule anything other than FCS bottom feeders if the goal is to get in the playoffs.

Just a thought about the train wreck known as YSU FB. IIRC all of the Dakota schools and UNI have FCOA...which of course are also the top tier MVFC schools. All of the MAC does. FWIW YSU MBB & WBB does (had to to stay in HL), but not FB. FCOA currently wouldn't fix YSU FB since the primary issues are corruption and incompetence. A FBS heavy OOC schedule would IMO cover FCOA expenses for YSU...which is the opposite of their current scheduling strategy. I wonder if YSU ever got their house in order...could they ever have a consistently top tier MVFC program w/o FCOA? I doubt it.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2019, 12:33 PM
You got to wonder ,PN. YSU just added multiple sports. With money tight and dwindling FB attendance, why did they do that ?

Answer - Corruption. The heat has been on for a long time to recruit Valley athletes, no matter deserving or not. That’s one of the FB recruiting problems. Many of the minor sports are peppered with local athletes and other than track, no one is a consistent winner. You know what basketball for boys are like in the Valley with the women a little better, but the embarrassment is the pressure to recruit local parochial FB players. That was one of the reasons Wolf was fired as he passed on them, as well he should have.

Look at the corruption with the fat cats in the loges, demanding a 6 game home schedule every year, which means scheduling is screwed with no home and home with decent FCS teams as one game is usually an away money game at a FBS.

There is no FCOA and may never be. They are too busy screwing the FB program bowing down to local recruits and appeasing the fat cats. Add loges and add sports. Forget about fielding quality FB teams which is the bread and butter of the athletic dept. The kingdom of moRon.

Yote 53
November 6th, 2019, 01:35 PM
You got to wonder ,PN. YSU just added multiple sports. With money tight and dwindling FB attendance, why did they do that ?

Answer - Corruption. The heat has been on for a long time to recruit Valley athletes, no matter deserving or not. That’s one of the FB recruiting problems. Many of the minor sports are peppered with local athletes and other than track, no one is a consistent winner. You know what basketball for boys are like in the Valley with the women a little better, but the embarrassment is the pressure to recruit local parochial FB players. That was one of the reasons Wolf was fired as he passed on them, as well he should have.

Look at the corruption with the fat cats in the loges, demanding a 6 game home schedule every year, which means scheduling is screwed with no home and home with decent FCS teams as one game is usually an away money game at a FBS.

There is no FCOA and may never be. They are too busy screwing the FB program bowing down to local recruits and appeasing the fat cats. Add loges and add sports. Forget about fielding quality FB teams which is the bread and butter of the athletic dept. The kingdom of moRon.

This is hilarious because you should read about all the heat USD takes on the Coyote board and other Dakota school's boards because they don't recruit enough in-state kids. Truth is that SDSU has an inside track on in-state kids both because they are an ag school and given their location in the state. USD is in the far SE corner of the state and closer to the Iowa and Nebraska recruiting grounds so they recruit that region, and Wisconsin, and Illinois, and Kansas, and Missouri, and Florida, and wherever else they can find quality football players. You know, the implication is that out of state recruits "don't care as much".

that guy
November 6th, 2019, 01:55 PM
This is hilarious because you should read about all the heat USD takes on the Coyote board and other Dakota school's boards because they don't recruit enough in-state kids. Truth is that SDSU has an inside track on in-state kids both because they are an ag school and given their location in the state. USD is in the far SE corner of the state and closer to the Iowa and Nebraska recruiting grounds so they recruit that region, and Wisconsin, and Illinois, and Kansas, and Missouri, and Florida, and wherever else they can find quality football players. You know, the implication is that out of state recruits "don't care as much".
And I have never seen that many and's in once sentence. Just busting your chops,xpeacex feeling a little salty today.

Yote 53
November 6th, 2019, 03:00 PM
And I have never seen that many and's in once sentence. Just busting your chops,xpeacex feeling a little salty today.
The and's were for emphasis.

CappinHard
November 6th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Truth is that SDSU has an inside track on in-state kids both because they are an ag school and given their location in the state.

I mean... there are a few other reasons why SDSU has an inside track on in-state kids...

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:26 PM

Just had to be that guy didn’t you xcoffeex

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:32 PM
I agree it is on the coaching staff. Totally agree about the defense. It absolutely has to be fixed. We're committed to Bob at this point, he'll have to make the necessary changes in the coaching staff to fix the issues. If he doesn't we continue to lose and when we get close enough to the end of his contract he gets fired and we start over again. Simple as that.

I’ll be curious to see if this ends up a good or bad thing for the yotes to have Bob on the long term deal. Continuity over a long stretch ended up working out well for SDSU with Stig, Bob could get it figured out. As it sits though he needs to make some changes defensively and culturally it would appear from the outside.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2019, 09:54 PM
I want to make another point about the area players - YSU lists 31 Valley players on the roster ( and that includes schools right across the state line, Farrell and New Castle). Of that number , only 3 are in the starting 22. Of that number only ONE area parochial starts. The number of wasted schollies is staggering !

Factor in, one starter is there from the area by transfer from WVU ( Jones of Hubbard).

I chuckled as Scouting Ohio’s guy was guest speaker at Curbstone Coaches dinner and quoted saying area is down in talent ( surprise, surprise ). At this point only 3 Valley guys have D-I offers - 2 MAC schools and YSU. None have star power. And yet the pressure is on to recruit local players. If you want to know why YSU isn’t as good as they used to be, look in a mirror.

It is a scandal.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Well, time for predictions, I’ll pick YSU, something like 24-21. That is if Craycraft plays QB. If Waid plays, YSU 35-21.

Penguin Nation
November 8th, 2019, 06:00 AM
YSU 31-27. Someone’s gotta win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2019, 06:02 AM
YSU 38-20

Lean on the run game hard for the Penguins. USD's defense is crap.

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Well, the local Warren Trib sportswriter calls it USD, 31-27. He has apparently seen enough, xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Nielsen at USD needs to clean house in his defensive staff. New blood is a must with a different scheme. What they have been doing the last few years is definitely not working.

F'N Hawks
November 8th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Nielsen at USD needs to clean house in his defensive staff. New blood is a must with a different scheme. What they have been doing the last few years is definitely not working.

This is new blood on the defensive side of ball.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 8th, 2019, 04:40 PM
This is new blood on the defensive side of ball.

Doesn't matter. New staff/scheme is needed. Defensive outcome the same......cannot stop anyone, you will not win consistently.

Penguin Nation
November 9th, 2019, 03:07 PM
How's the game going?

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2019, 05:08 PM
This is one of those games that breaks any "transitive property" arguments.
YSU beats WIU by 45 points.
USD is beating YSU by 42 points with less than 6 minutes left in the game.

So is USD anything close to 87 points better than WIU? Nope, WIU won by 4.

Paladin1aa
November 9th, 2019, 05:10 PM
LOL ! You had to ask , PN. I’m laughing so hard my ribs hurt. The Debacle In Dakota.

The cheerleader board will say it the players ( it is, poor recruits for this level). Some will say it’s the coaches ( Yep, right again). But nothing changes much till you get rid of moRon. And if not, sit back and watch the show continue for years. And years.

Gotta hope all that money for swimming and women’s lacrosse they just added pays off, xeyebrowx

mvfcfan
November 9th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Both of these teams are so inconsistent. I wouldn't have been surprised if YSU had a big lead. You just never know which Coyote or Penguin team is going to show up.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Of course YSU couldn't have crapped the bed against us. Nope...firing on all cylinders in that game.

Penguin Nation
November 9th, 2019, 06:51 PM
You’ve got DumBo for 2 more years, and the clown that just renewed his contract for probably 20 more years. What you have now is long term unless ScumbagU follows these guaranteed keys to success:

1) Petition the NCAA for more OOC games, and to count D3 games the same as FCS games

2) Recruit the prisons. You’ve already screened out the former fans who can’t cheer for a convicted gang rapist. No one still around will mind.

3) CGI some fans in your ESPN+ broadcasts. Seriously it’s embarrassing seeing more rats than fans

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2019, 07:03 PM
Bo has to go! As a former resident of the Mahoning Valley I should have a say in the matter!

ysubigred
November 9th, 2019, 07:03 PM
If YSU wins out do they make the playoffs?[emoji3060]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
November 9th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Looking at the roster, they having nothing coming back next year, holes galore . Maybe moRon can schedule Hiram, Thiel and Oberlin. Maybe schedule a money game at Mt Union. Why Tressel allows this tragedy to continue is...............

sickening.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2019, 07:15 PM
If YSU wins out do they make the playoffs?[emoji3060]

http://i.imgur.com/3vKJqc7.gif

Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that.

ysubigred
November 9th, 2019, 07:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3vKJqc7.gif

Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks for that.You're welcome. I was laughing posting it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/f155208943063916cad9d91483682794.jpg

Paladin1aa
November 9th, 2019, 07:18 PM
That is hilarious. Hell no, Red.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2019, 07:25 PM
You're welcome. I was laughing posting it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/f155208943063916cad9d91483682794.jpg

Looks like a nice day at Arizona State

ysubigred
November 9th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Looks like a nice day at Arizona State86 10 percent humidityhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/137c906850972bf00daa6f500556c910.jpg

Bisonator
November 9th, 2019, 07:44 PM
So the guins have apparently quit on Bo and the season. What a horrible culture YSU has going......yeesh

Paladin1aa
November 10th, 2019, 11:09 AM
It is refreshing, exhilarating actually ,to see the cheerleader board FINALLY gets it. That is everyone except the owner who remains a buttkisser. Finally they see not only the coaching staff needs to go, but also the AD. That is where all the mess began.

But - will they stop buying season tickets, refuse to go to games, pressure Tressel and the Board and trash the inept , incompetent administration and program in public and continuously rather than on a website ? For as long as it takes ?

Whiners achieve nothing while actions become fruitful.

TheKingpin28
November 10th, 2019, 11:21 AM
86 10 percent humidityhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191110/137c906850972bf00daa6f500556c910.jpg

Looks like you had some great sight lines.