PDA

View Full Version : 2019-11/09 AGS GOTW Week 11

Preferred Walk-On
November 3rd, 2019, 10:02 PM
Three weeks left in the season, folks. No top 5 matchups this week, but a slate of games that was difficult to narrow down to nine. The following games have huge implications for auto-bids, as well as some teams that will ultimately be on the bubble. In the non-playoff (Ivy) matchup, we have two teams squaring off that were dead even in the AGS poll after week 10. Enjoy!

#10 (#8) Illinois State @ #4 (#3) South Dakota State - The Redbirds look to bounce back from last week's loss to Northern Iowa. The Jackrabbits look to keep their position as a seed while they continue to figure out their identity post-J'Bore.

#17 (#21) North Dakota @ #3 (#4) Weber State - The Fighting Hawks have had two weeks to prepare for the game that could help solidify a playoff berth or could put them on the bubble. Either way, they need a good showing. The Wildcats look to prevent a letdown following their huge win over Sac State.

#22 (#9) Kennesaw @ Campbell - The Owls have gone from potential playoff seed to questions about a playoff berth, period. The Fighting Camels look to play spoiler, prior to their game the following week vs. Monmouth.

#34 (NR) Southeastern Louisiana @ #8 (#10) Central Arkansas - The Lions rushed up the polls early this season, followed by a quick disappearance from the AGS Poll after two one-score losses to McNeese State and Incarnate Word. The Bears are only one game up on the Lions (and two other teams) in the Southland, but with a win, Central Arkansas would be in the driver's seat with two games left to play.

#32 (NR) Richmond @ #16 (#11) Villanova - The Wildcats have gone from an AGS Top 5 team to a team with serious questions following three-straight losses. The Spiders are currently tied for second place in the CAA, yet have not gotten much respect due to the fact that they have a better record vs. CAA (4-1) than vs. Ivy/Patriot (0-2); however, they are coming off a huge victory against Stony Brook. The Spiders need this win to finish 7-5 (assuming difficulty with James Madison next week), while the Wildcats have a relatively easy schedule to finish the season.

#26 (#23) Towson @ #28 (#13) Stony Brook - This is a battle between two teams that do not want to have to win out to get to 7-5, which is exactly what the loser will have to do. This game is also possibly to determine who will be the last CAA team to get into the playoffs.

#12 (#14) Princeton @ #13 (#14) Dartmouth - Thanks to (Hail) Mary, this is the game of the year in the Ivy. This is also a rematch of the defacto Ivy championship game from last year, which the Tigers won 14-9. The Big Green look to take it back this year.

#25 (#28) Tennessee-Martin @ #24 (#24) Austin Peay - The only top OVC team left that the Governors have not defeated is the Skyhawks. Unfortunately, the Governors have also dropped a conference game to the 2nd-to-last place team. This game is critical to the Governors, as a loss would put them a game behind both the Skyhawks AND Southeast Missouri State, and it is somewhat doubtful that the OVC is more than a two-bid conference.

Duquesne @ Robert Morris - While Central Connecticut leads the NEC, both Duquesne and Robert Morris are also undefeated in the conference. With all three teams playing each other to end the season, none can afford a loss. This feels like (and probably is) a loser-out game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 4th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Ill State vs SDSU

Huge game for both.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2019, 06:37 AM
I kinda want to vote for the Ivy League game but I'd feel dirty voting for a game that has absolutely zero playoff implications this late in the season.... what a conundrum.

ming01
November 4th, 2019, 09:27 AM
I take mine back and vote Princeton-Dartmouth

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Towson-Stony Brook may decide whether the CAA gets four in our not. It will certainly eliminate the possibility of a fifth IMO, loser eliminated.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2019, 09:30 AM
UND at Weber is the obvious choice here. Biggest matchup of the week at any level.

McCowboys
November 4th, 2019, 09:31 AM
I voted for Princeton-Dartmouth. My second choice would be North Dakota - Weber State.

McNeese75
November 4th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Princeton - Dartmouth , not xcoffeex

Daytripper
November 4th, 2019, 09:34 AM
I kinda want to vote for the Ivy League game but I'd feel dirty voting for a game that has absolutely zero playoff implications this late in the season.... what a conundrum.

Me, also.

F'N Hawks
November 4th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Little misleading to be putting the rankings in front of these teams when new rankings are coming out in a few hours. Illinois State is not the #8 team in the country anymore. Kennesaw sure as hell isn't #9. Stony Brook #13, etc.

POD Knows
November 4th, 2019, 09:57 AM
I got the UND/Weber game. I might even put some money on UND in this one, that ought to do it.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2019, 09:59 AM
I got the UND/Weber game. I might even put some money on UND in this one, that ought to do it.
It's in Ogden... I doubt you'll need to bother. UND could be confused for Grand Forks Central when they're on the road.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2019, 10:05 AM
4-1 is playing 5-0 in the CAA this week and it's not on the list?

F'N Hawks
November 4th, 2019, 10:29 AM

No worries about UND winning this game - could get real ugly.

ST_Lawson
November 4th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Little misleading to be putting the rankings in front of these teams when new rankings are coming out in a few hours. Illinois State is not the #8 team in the country anymore. Kennesaw sure as hell isn't #9. Stony Brook #13, etc.

I do agree with that. I feel like posting the GOTW poll should happen after the AGS poll is released. Put the current rankings there, not last week's.

Preferred Walk-On
November 4th, 2019, 02:44 PM

I normally post the GOTW threads on Sunday evenings/early Monday mornings. However, I cannot see the future and have no way of knowing the future rankings when I release the GOTW candidates. I do think the ranking information is useful in putting the candidate games into context though, and I am going to continue to do that. The past few weeks (with the exception of last week), I have been coming back and updating the rankings to reflect the current week's rankings (with the previous week's in parentheses). I have completed this task now, so that it is no longer misleading. That said, the poll has no rankings in it, so at least the part where people vote is not misleading.

Preferred Walk-On
November 4th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Illinois State #10 (down two spots)

As for the other two, were the rankings really going to sway your vote? :D

Preferred Walk-On
November 4th, 2019, 02:50 PM

It's there...under "Other". xhandshakex

Grizzlies82
November 4th, 2019, 05:10 PM

Have you seen any odds on this? The game is in Utah and No. Dakota has not shown much ability to play on the road.

After having watched both teams play, my guess is that Weber State wins by 3 or 4 scores. The only way this is close is if the Wildcats play their backups.

SUPharmacist
November 5th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Princeton-Dartmouth for me. I don't know how the Ivies fit in the grand scheme of FCS, but it shoulf be a solid game.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Have you seen any odds on this? The game is in Utah and No. Dakota has not shown much ability to play on the road.

After having watched both teams play, my guess is that Weber State wins by 3 or 4 scores. The only way this is close is if the Wildcats play their backups.

Weber -17

JacksFan40
November 5th, 2019, 09:39 AM
I’d vote Princeton and Dartmouth if it had playoff implications. But since it doesn’t I voted SDSU-Illinois State.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2019, 11:18 AM
It's there...under "Other". xhandshakex

...OTHERAH.....IS JES' UH TOTAL WASTE UH SLOT.......AS GENERALLY...NO ONE LISTENS.....AS UH SMALL HANDFUL.....COMPLAIN UH BEIN'....LEFT OUT.......DOODLE-DOO!

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Oh, just go with your inner skank and vote Ivy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2019, 12:40 PM
I’d vote Princeton and Dartmouth if it had playoff implications. But since it doesn’t I voted SDSU-Illinois State.

Ivy games are irrelevant in the FCS.

I don't put them in my poll and voting for them for a game of the week is nonsense IMO.

grizband
November 5th, 2019, 09:24 PM

I do agree with that. I feel like posting the GOTW poll should happen after the AGS poll is released. Put the current rankings there, not last week's.

I normally post the GOTW threads on Sunday evenings/early Monday mornings. However, I cannot see the future and have no way of knowing the future rankings when I release the GOTW candidates. I do think the ranking information is useful in putting the candidate games into context though, and I am going to continue to do that. The past few weeks (with the exception of last week), I have been coming back and updating the rankings to reflect the current week's rankings (with the previous week's in parentheses). I have completed this task now, so that it is no longer misleading. That said, the poll has no rankings in it, so at least the part where people vote is not misleading.
I agree with F'N Hawks and St_Lawson; the alternate solution is just to postpone publishing the poll/thread until Monday afternoon when the AGS poll is released.

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Ivy games are irrelevant in the FCS.

I don't put them in my poll and voting for them for a game of the week is nonsense IMO.
And I’ll bet you feel quite macho as a result.

”Fertile,” indeed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2019, 05:59 AM
And I’ll bet you feel quite macho as a result.

”Fertile,” indeed.

Did you think of that by yourself?

Ivy's are irrelevant in the FCS and always will be until they start competing in the playoffs.

dewey
November 6th, 2019, 06:29 AM
My vote for for Princeton at Dartmouth.

My second choice would have been Illinois State at South Dakota State.

Dewey

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Did you think of that by yourself?

Ivy's are irrelevant in the FCS and always will be until they start competing in the playoffs.
I’m sure your Fertile brain would come up with a way to continue the irrelevance argument even if the Ivies did join the playoff ranks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2019, 06:58 AM
I’m sure your Fertile brain would come up with a way to continue the irrelevance argument even if the Ivies did join the playoff ranks.

I've heard them all with regards to where I live....keep trying though.

They are irrelevant. They stay in their bubble.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 07:16 AM

...'NOTHERAH PROB WHIFF OPTION OTHER.......SOMETIMES....NOMINATIN' POSTER DOESN'T.....ANNOUNCE GAME DEY WOOD LIKE TA SEE......TERRY2889 VOTED OTHER...BUT DIDN'T LEAVE HIS GAME CHOICE.....HE'S UH WILDCAT FAN....GUESSIN' HE WANTED UNH/JMU.....SO HOW LONG WOOD IT TAKE TERRY...TA FILL UH EMPTY HALF-GALLON MILK JUG...WHIFF TREE SAP......FO' HIS HOME MADE SYRUP STILL.....ON UH 20 DEGREE NEW ENGLAND MORNIN?.............OOOOOPS! AH DIGRESS..........WrenFGun HAS STEPPED UP....AN' QUESTIONED DIS GAMES OMMISSION.....WHICH AH'M IN AGREEMENT......BRAWK!

ncspiderfan
November 6th, 2019, 07:36 AM
...'NOTHERAH PROB WHIFF OPTION OTHER.......SOMETIMES....NOMINATIN' POSTER DOESN'T.....ANNOUNCE GAME DEY WOOD LIKE TA SEE......TERRY2889 VOTED OTHER...BUT DIDN'T LEAVE HIS GAME CHOICE.....HE'S UH WILDCAT FAN....GUESSIN' HE WANTED UNH/JMU...........WrenFGun HAS STEPPED UP....AN' QUESTIONED DIS GAMES OMMISSION.....WHICH AH'M IN AGREEMENT......BRAWK!
UNH/JMU could have been on list for sure, but it would have just made decision harder, so I homered the pick and took Richmond/Nova due to the fact they both need to prove they belong this week and it certainly has playoff implications.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 07:50 AM
.....WAS SPEAKIN' PRIMARILY.......'BOUT USELESSNESS UH OPTION OTHER........AWQ!!

Terry2889
November 6th, 2019, 12:44 PM
...'NOTHERAH PROB WHIFF OPTION OTHER.......SOMETIMES....NOMINATIN' POSTER DOESN'T.....ANNOUNCE GAME DEY WOOD LIKE TA SEE......TERRY2889 VOTED OTHER...BUT DIDN'T LEAVE HIS GAME CHOICE.....HE'S UH WILDCAT FAN....GUESSIN' HE WANTED UNH/JMU.....SO HOW LONG WOOD IT TAKE TERRY...TA FILL UH EMPTY HALF-GALLON MILK JUG...WHIFF TREE SAP......FO' HIS HOME MADE SYRUP STILL.....ON UH 20 DEGREE NEW ENGLAND MORNIN?.............OOOOOPS! AH DIGRESS..........WrenFGun HAS STEPPED UP....AN' QUESTIONED DIS GAMES OMMISSION.....WHICH AH'M IN AGREEMENT......BRAWK!

I don't feel like getting yelled at by MVFC fans for daring to imply that UNH deserves any attention (Which we don't just yet). Plus if we end up on the board people will automatically think that Scarano was on the committee... Also, here in New Jersey, where roughly half of UNH football alums hail from Mr. Chicken, the tree sap is probably tainted by acid rain and fertilizer run off...

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 12:53 PM
.......TERRY......NOBODAH KNOWS WHOM WE ARE.......WE'RE INTERNET INCOGNITO...&.......BULLETPROOF....BE UH BIG BIRD.........PEE-OFFAH DUH VALLEY....DEY'RE NOT SMART 'NUFF TA FIND US....SPEAK YER MIND LAD.....WE HAVE CAA WITNESS PROTECTION...IFIN' YA DON'T MIND.....RHODE ISLAND............DOODLE-DOO!

Preferred Walk-On
November 6th, 2019, 03:09 PM
...OTHERAH.....IS JES' UH TOTAL WASTE UH SLOT.......AS GENERALLY...NO ONE LISTENS.....AS UH SMALL HANDFUL.....COMPLAIN UH BEIN'....LEFT OUT.......DOODLE-DOO!

This is precisely why "Other" is there. It would be my hope that a game was not left off where it was bigger than a "small handful". Therefore, I respectfully disagree that it is "just a total waste of a slot".

I don't feel like getting yelled at by MVFC fans for daring to imply that UNH deserves any attention (Which we don't just yet). Plus if we end up on the board people will automatically think that Scarano was on the committee... Also, here in New Jersey, where roughly half of UNH football alums hail from Mr. Chicken, the tree sap is probably tainted by acid rain and fertilizer run off...

If a voter gives half-a-**it, then typing "Other - New Hampshire @ James Madison" is probably not too much work. After all, who voted for which game is public anyway, so stirring up MVFC fans does not apply here, nor should anyone care. In fact, I hear it is entertaining to rile them up.

UNH/JMU could have been on list for sure, but it would have just made decision harder, so I homered the pick and took Richmond/Nova due to the fact they both need to prove they belong this week and it certainly has playoff implications.

When compiling this list, one has a few options. One could simply pick X number of games and say FU to the rest. Alternatively, one could pick up to 10 games each week, as this is the poll limit for number of voting choices. I choose to do a variation of the second, where I pick 9 games, knowing that there will be some members that think another game should be on the list. Hence, choice #10 being "Other".

The last three games "out" this week were:
New Hampshire @ James Madison
Eastern Kentucky @ Southeast Missouri State
Jacksonville State @ Tennessee Tech

The reason that the two other CAA games are in and 4-1 vs. 5-0 is out is simply that the other two games have bigger (playoff) stakes for the teams involved. James Madison will still make the playoffs with a loss (and probably still be seeded, although 1-2 seed might be gone). I do realize that 4-1 (5-3) New Hampshire could end up 7-5 with a loss, bringing playoff implications into play; however, I could argue with remaining schedules that a win for any of the four teams in the CAA games chosen is as important or more important than for New Hampshire. THAT is why the third CAA game is missing from this list. Please don't take its omission as me thinking it is unimportant.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 03:22 PM
....WHATEVERAH.......AH WATCH EACH WEEK......AN' NEVERAH...SEE OTHER OPTION......OVERTAKE DUH PRE-SELECTED ONES........YOUR PREMISE IS HONORABLE.......IT JES' GOES WASTED....DUH END......xsmhx...BRAWK!

Derby City Duke
November 6th, 2019, 03:32 PM
I do realize that 4-1 (5-3) New Hampshire could end up 7-5 with a loss, bringing playoff implications into play; however, I could argue with remaining schedules that a win for any of the four teams in the CAA games chosen is as important or more important than for New Hampshire. THAT is why the third CAA game is missing from this list. Please don't take its omission as me thinking it is unimportant.

UNH has an 11-game schedule this season. They could end up anywhere from 8-3 to 5-6.

Herdistheword
November 6th, 2019, 03:37 PM
So what is the game of the week if there is a tie?

RabidRabbit
November 6th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Isn't the Princeton-Dartmouth Game being played in Yankee Stadium, as part of the 150th anniversary first game between Princeton and Rutgers? If so, that's a compelling reason to support Princeton Dartmouth over the IL St-SDSU game. IL St-SDSU will either cement a seed for SDSU or push them to a higher seed if not out, if UNI beats the Jacks also. IL St needs a win to have a win over a quality opponent, as they have been blown out by both UNI & NDSU.

Derby City Duke
November 6th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Richmond - Nova. Were the Wildcats merely a mirage based on their early schedule and now become the train wreck from which we can't divert our eyes? Is Richmond better than their early struggles indicate? Will the Spatters be looking past Nova to their biggest rival in JMU? Inquiring minds want to know.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 03:55 PM
So what is the game of the week if there is a tie?

....AH'D GO WHIFF.....DOUBLE-HEADER....xwhistlex.....BRAWK!

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Isn't the Princeton-Dartmouth Game being played in Yankee Stadium, as part of the 150th anniversary first game between Princeton and Rutgers? If so, that's a compelling reason to support Princeton Dartmouth over the IL St-SDSU game. IL St-SDSU will either cement a seed for SDSU or push them to a higher seed if not out, if UNI beats the Jacks also. IL St needs a win to have a win over a quality opponent, as they have been blown out by both UNI & NDSU.

I don’t think it cements a seed for SDSU yet. SDSU needs a quality win themselves at this point unless you count SIU. I certainly wouldn’t count YSU right now personally, and the best thing the Jacks have going is two close losses.

Preferred Walk-On
November 6th, 2019, 04:38 PM
....WHATEVERAH.......AH WATCH EACH WEEK......AN' NEVERAH...SEE OTHER OPTION......OVERTAKE DUH PRE-SELECTED ONES........YOUR PREMISE IS HONORABLE.......IT JES' GOES WASTED....DUH END......xsmhx...BRAWK!

I suspect that games 10-12 on the list would not overtake the other 9 pre-selected ones either, so I am not sure if that would be considered wasted as well. Point of view, I guess. xbeerchugx

KPSUL
November 6th, 2019, 05:16 PM
This is precisely why "Other" is there. It would be my hope that a game was not left off where it was bigger than a "small handful". Therefore, I respectfully disagree that it is "just a total waste of a slot".

If a voter gives half-a-**it, then typing "Other - New Hampshire @ James Madison" is probably not too much work. After all, who voted for which game is public anyway, so stirring up MVFC fans does not apply here, nor should anyone care. In fact, I hear it is entertaining to rile them up.

When compiling this list, one has a few options. One could simply pick X number of games and say FU to the rest. Alternatively, one could pick up to 10 games each week, as this is the poll limit for number of voting choices. I choose to do a variation of the second, where I pick 9 games, knowing that there will be some members that think another game should be on the list. Hence, choice #10 being "Other".

The last three games "out" this week were:
New Hampshire @ James Madison
Eastern Kentucky @ Southeast Missouri State
Jacksonville State @ Tennessee Tech

The reason that the two other CAA games are in and 4-1 vs. 5-0 is out is simply that the other two games have bigger (playoff) stakes for the teams involved. James Madison will still make the playoffs with a loss (and probably still be seeded, although 1-2 seed might be gone). I do realize that 4-1 (5-3) New Hampshire could end up 7-5 with a loss, bringing playoff implications into play; however, I could argue with remaining schedules that a win for any of the four teams in the CAA games chosen is as important or more important than for New Hampshire. THAT is why the third CAA game is missing from this list. Please don't take its omission as me thinking it is unimportant.

A simple I Forgot ! would have been sufficient

Preferred Walk-On
November 6th, 2019, 07:01 PM
A simple I Forgot ! would have been sufficient

Ha! Just keep winning though, or that "I forgot!" is going to be applicable to many more AGS members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPSUL
November 6th, 2019, 10:12 PM
Ha! Just keep winning though, or that "I forgot!" is going to be applicable to many more AGS members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. I would have voted Dartmouth vs Princeton anyway!

Preferred Walk-On
November 8th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Poll closes in less than 8 hr. Still "too close to call". Hence the bump.