PDA

View Full Version : Richmond @ Villanova

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2019, 10:26 AM
I’m not sure why I punish myself with these weekly game posting, but here you go:

Richmond (5-4; 4-1) @ #11 Villanova (6-3; 3-3)

caribbeanhen
November 3rd, 2019, 10:28 AM
And suddenly Richmond is 4-1 in CAA

meanwhile Delaware paid big money for a bag of Roccos

CHIP72
November 3rd, 2019, 12:24 PM
The threads work better in the first half of the season during the Mark Ferrante era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukie95
November 4th, 2019, 07:17 AM
Not much expected from either team pre-season. While Nova grabbed all the early headlines by sweeping the Patriot League, looking back now, Richmond is having the better season.

Terry2889
November 4th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Both have looked really good at times and then bad at others. I think there is a lot of parity in the middle part of the CAA this year. And even as good as JMU is record-wise there have been some games where teams had them on the ropes (SBU and 'Nova). It seems very possible that due to the same parity the CAA might be a two bid league come playoff time.

Dukie95
November 4th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Both have looked really good at times and then bad at others. I think there is a lot of parity in the middle part of the CAA this year. And even as good as JMU is record-wise there have been some games where teams had them on the ropes (SBU and 'Nova). It seems very possible that due to the same parity the CAA might be a two bid league come playoff time.

The CAA went 25-6 against the rest of FCS this year, so this parity is happening within a league that has proven to be very strong relative to other conferences. I would expect four total teams to be in (so three bids), and they will go to the best three regardless of record. Richmond, though, was the only team with a losing OOC record, so that might hurt them.

Anthony215
November 4th, 2019, 11:06 AM
I think Nova has come crashing back down to earth with injuries at key positions (Black, Covington) and probably will finish at 8-4 but losing to Richmond would seal their fate as missing the playoffs. This is probably a two team bid league with JMU and either Richmond, Nova, Albany, Stony Brook or New Hampshire getting the second bid.

Dukie95
November 4th, 2019, 11:44 AM
It will be interesting to see how the committee treats parity within the CAA. The prevailing assumption seems to be that it weakens the conference, but there's also an argument that it is indicative of strength. Gotta bring it every week, no weak teams (except URI). URI, by the way, went 2-0 against the rest of the FCS. Also, we know the committee loves the CAA (or at least New Hampshire).

Also, other conferences' schedules are filled with lower division games, including two non-D1 losses by the SLC. Once the D-I only schedules are all laid out, many teams are going to have a hard time getting to 7 wins.

The CAA will get their three bids

Gangtackle11
November 4th, 2019, 12:11 PM
It will be interesting to see how the committee treats parity within the CAA. The prevailing assumption seems to be that it weakens the conference, but there's also an argument that it is indicative of strength. Gotta bring it every week, no weak teams (except URI). URI, by the way, went 2-0 against the rest of the FCS. Also, we know the committee loves the CAA (or at least New Hampshire).

Also, other conferences' schedules are filled with lower division games, including two non-D1 losses by the SLC. Once the D-I only schedules are all laid out, many teams are going to have a hard time getting to 7 wins.

The CAA will get their three bids

I agree that the CAA is getting 3 teams. JMU and 2 TBD. xpeacex

Dukie95
November 4th, 2019, 12:39 PM
At the end of the day, I still think 3 non-JMU teams will get to 7 wins and this will all be moot.

Eight teams can still do it...there's a lot on the line with 3 weeks left.

Gangtackle11
November 4th, 2019, 02:38 PM
At the end of the day, I still think 3 non-JMU teams will get to 7 wins and this will all be moot.

I don’t see any team with 7 wins in 12 games getting in from the CAA. UNH gets to 7 in their 11 games they will get in. The rest are going to need a minimum of 8. Imho. xpeacex

PS: Still able to get to 8: UNH, Richmond, Villanova, Towson, Stony Brook, Albany. JMU is already there.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 4th, 2019, 03:06 PM
The CAA went 25-6 against the rest of FCS this year, so this parity is happening within a league that has proven to be very strong relative to other conferences. I would expect four total teams to be in (so three bids), and they will go to the best three regardless of record. Richmond, though, was the only team with a losing OOC record, so that might hurt them.

Great stat Dukie, 25-6 against rest of FCS is pretty impressive. These last weeks are going be fun for sure. I think that stat will allow the CAA to put some 7 win teams but who they are is anyone's guess at this point.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Richmond Game Notes:

https://richmondspiders.com/services/download_file.ashx?file_location=https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/richmond.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/11/5/Game_Notes_at_Villanova.pdf

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2019, 07:28 AM

.......PARITY...........PER NEWS JOURNAL SPORTS SECTION......"16 OF THE 31 CAA CONFERENCE GAMES PLAYED.....HAVE BEEN DECIDED BY 8 POINTS OR LESS....WITH FOUR GAMES GOING TO OVERTIME........ROAD TEAMS ARE 17-14".......BRAWK!

Dukie95
November 6th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Two teams going in different directions.

Nova hasn't been able to establish the run following Covington's season-ending injury against W&M and has gone 0-3 since. Compounding that, over that same time frame, Daniel Smith has thrown 7 interceptions and 7 TDs. Not a good ratio.

bluehenbillk
November 6th, 2019, 08:30 AM
I don’t see any team with 7 wins in 12 games getting in from the CAA. UNH gets to 7 in their 11 games they will get in. The rest are going to need a minimum of 8. Imho. xpeacex

PS: Still able to get to 8: UNH, Richmond, Villanova, Towson, Stony Brook, Albany. JMU is already there.

I agree with you CAA teams will need 8 wins this year to get in.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2019, 11:07 AM

Nova hasn't been able to establish the run following Covington's season-ending injury against W&M and has gone 0-3 since. Compounding that, over that same time frame, Daniel Smith has thrown 7 interceptions and 7 TDs. Not a good ratio.

True although Barlee had 131 vs. SB. The coaches not knowing the rules cost them that game & maybe the playoffs. xpeacex

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2019, 12:26 PM

I agree. I think Richmond wins this one by 6.

Terry2889
November 6th, 2019, 12:33 PM

I'm not so confident. If URI or W&M were complete pushovers I'd agree but they aren't. They're actually pretty good. And Maine is all over the place too. It's entirely possible that we go 0-3 down the stretch, or that Richmond does too. "Nova seems to have ADHD and just needs to focus for an entire class period to start succeeding haha! I think they're still really good.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2019, 01:10 PM
There is an interesting divergence between the poll results & the Vegas line. 64% of voters (18/28) so far like Richmond to win outright while Vegas has Nova a prohibitive 9.5 point favorite. Hmmmmxpeacex

MacThor
November 6th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Do you guys vote in the poll? There's a lot of dreck below #15 that will all be around 7 wins at season end. The committee has put a couple of 6 win teams in recently. 7-5 is not a death sentence this year.

Dukie95
November 6th, 2019, 03:03 PM
I don't buy the logic that parity makes the league weaker. The CAA has depth like no other.

If only the CAA had pushovers to help them get to 8 wins, I guess. *shrug*

Brian from Hero sports said if you were rating the FCS from 1-10, the CAA has a lot of 7s.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Do you guys vote in the poll? There's a lot of dreck below #15 that will all be around 7 wins at season end. The committee has put a couple of 6 win teams in recently. 7-5 is not a death sentence this year.

From Reign of Terror poster in another thread:

Assuming these are the Autobids:
Weber, Monmouth, JMU, NDSU, CCSU, AP, Patriot, San Diego, Furman, UCA

Less than 4 losses with 3 games left:
Sac State
Montana
Montana State
Kennesaw
UNH
Nova
North Dakota
SC State
SDSU
UNI
Illinois State
SEMO
Wofford
SELA
Nicholls

Counting on 7-5 & not in the MVFC getting a bid is like skating on thin ice. Imho. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
November 8th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2019/11/8/G10_Richmond.pdf

Gangtackle11
November 9th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Good comeback win for Nova. 7-3 (4-3 in CAA) still has some work to do, but this was big. xpeacex

ncspiderfan
November 9th, 2019, 07:30 PM
Good comeback win for Nova. 7-3 (4-3 in CAA) still has some work to do, but this was big. xpeacex
GT - Congrats on the win, the Nova D shut Spiders down in 4th quarter. Not one first down after the INT when we were driving in 3rd and still leading.

Good luck rest of the way. Large hole Spiders have dug themselves into now. JMU and W&M are both rival games, and even with a miracle winning both it might not be enough to back in, after the Fordham and Yale nightmares.