PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth Beats Harvard on a Hail Mary

Go Green
November 2nd, 2019, 05:59 PM
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?hidenav=true&id=27990991&playertech=brightcove&roadblock=false

Wow!

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2019, 06:01 PM
Fantastic play by Dartmouth's QB to elude the rush but that was an incredibly bad defensive play by multiple Harvard defenders in the end zone.

Watching most of the last quarter of that game I got the impression that Harvard is a talented team that is poorly coached.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2019, 06:22 PM
Fantastic play by Dartmouth's QB to elude the rush but that was an incredibly bad defensive play by multiple Harvard defenders in the end zone.

Watching most of the last quarter of that game I got the impression that Harvard is a talented team that is poorly coached.

I have the same impression on Harvard
that was a tough way to lose the game especially since they out played Dartmouth

Not to mention the cameraman was out for lunch on the Hail Mary

Son of Eli
November 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM
Congratulations Go Green. As a loyal Dartmouth fan through good times and bad you derserve this. Enjoy it!

Go Green
November 2nd, 2019, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Go Green. As a loyal Dartmouth fan through good times and bad you derserve this. Enjoy it!

Thanks so much!!!

I actually feel bad for Yale. No one is going to remember the comeback against Richmond after this!!

:)

bulldog10jw
November 2nd, 2019, 09:04 PM
Thanks so much!!!

I actually feel bad for Yale. No one is going to remember the comeback against Richmond after this!!

Yale fans will remember. I will say though, especially if Dartmouth goes undefeated, the Hail Mary will be the play of decade.

POD Knows
November 2nd, 2019, 10:31 PM
I don’t think the better team won this game. I plan on dropping Dartmouth in my poll even with the win

Laker
November 3rd, 2019, 08:07 AM
I've watched this repeatedly on TV. What a scramble. Miracle ending to stay unbeaten. Congrats to the Big Green for pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

Go Green
November 3rd, 2019, 09:13 AM
I don’t think the better team won this game. I plan on dropping Dartmouth in my poll even with the win

I would have prefered a three-touchdown victory as well. But it's not like Harvard is some Patriot League team. They have plenty of guys who were offered scholarships to FBS programs.

POD Knows
November 3rd, 2019, 09:32 AM
I would have prefered a three-touchdown victory as well. But it's not like Harvard is some Patriot League team. They have plenty of guys who were offered scholarships to FBS programs.Yea, maybe, but you lost as far as I am concerned, I will drop you a few spots, nothing major but you guys didn't pass the eye test. Your schedule is also weak, as is most of the schedules in the Ivy. You get Princeton next week, lets see how that goes. The winner of that game stays in my top 25, probably somewhere in the teens in my poll.

mvfcfan
November 3rd, 2019, 10:09 AM
They showed this last night during the SMU-Memphis game and at first I thought it was a flashback from the 90's xlolx. Whatever cell phone was recording it didn't have a very good camera.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2019, 10:12 AM
They showed this last night during the SMU-Memphis game and at first I thought it was a flashback from the 90's xlolx. Whatever cell phone was recording it didn't have a very good camera.
Well they would've had a much better shot from the ESPN3 broadcast but for some inexplicable reason the cameraman for the main sideline camera was asleep at the wheel and didn't pan to the endzone quick enough.

caribbeanhen
November 3rd, 2019, 10:19 AM
I figured all you Valley Boys would get around to watching Dartmouth just in time for them to look pedestrian

Harvard looked better for 99.9 % of that game

Sader87
November 3rd, 2019, 10:23 AM
Harvard is very good....nearly won at Princeton a couple weeks ago.

They stumbled out of the gate as most Ivies do in their openah at San Diego.

caribbeanhen
November 3rd, 2019, 10:29 AM

agree

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2019, 10:33 AM
I figured all you Valley Boys would get around to watching Dartmouth just in time for them to look pedestrian

Harvard looked better for 99.9 % of that game
Which is why I don't trust the eye test. Dartmouth moved up slightly in my poll (mostly because it was a massacre for the 4 or so teams in front of them) and Harvard isn't even on my radar anymore. Going off the eye test yesterday would've put them a heck of a lot closer together.

caribbeanhen
November 3rd, 2019, 10:41 AM
Which is why I don't trust the eye test. Dartmouth moved up slightly in my poll (mostly because it was a massacre for the 4 or so teams in front of them) and Harvard isn't even on my radar anymore. Going off the eye test yesterday would've put them a heck of a lot closer together.

well the eyetest worked for me after watching Kennesaw State a few weeks ago and knowing Monmouth
would be heard from yesterday

Dartmouth moved down in mine but Im sure I still have them a bit higher than most

that was a Defensive slugfest yesterday

this entire Ivy league debate can never be truly settled until they join the playoffs

aceinthehole
November 3rd, 2019, 11:19 AM
this entire Ivy league debate can never be truly settled until they join the playoffs

Maybe, but they can also play more than 10 games per season ... and schedule outside of the Patriot/Pioneer/NEC ... and play FBS games ...

cx500d
November 3rd, 2019, 11:41 AM

Got it, some quality losses...

Son of Eli
November 3rd, 2019, 12:29 PM
I would have prefered a three-touchdown victory as well. But it's not like Harvard is some Patriot League team. They have plenty of guys who were offered scholarships to FBS programs.

Patriot is better than the Pioneer, which Dartmouth played twice this year.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2019, 02:27 PM
Judging solely from Harvard’s performance against Dartmouth and Princeton this year, both close losses, I’m picking Dartmouth next week. The Big Green have a better defense.

cx500d
November 3rd, 2019, 02:33 PM
Judging solely from Harvard’s performance against Dartmouth and Princeton this year, both close losses, I’m picking Dartmouth next week. The Big Green have a better defense.
???

so Princeton handily beats Harvard by a td although they gave Harvard a fg with 30 seconds to go, and it takes a zero time hail Mary for Dartmouth to sneak by Harvard, and you are saying Dartmouth was the stronger team?

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2019, 02:57 PM
???

so Princeton handily beats Harvard by a td although they gave Harvard a fg with 30 seconds to go, and it takes a zero time hail Mary for Dartmouth to sneak by Harvard, and you are saying Dartmouth was the stronger team?
You forget that Harvard led Princeton at the half and got into the end zone three times despite having 3 turnovers that probably cost us a win. Against Dartmouth, Harvard did not score a TD despite having zero turnovers. Dartmouth’s defense is better. Defense wins games. Ergo...

cx500d
November 3rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
You forget that Harvard led Princeton at the half and got into the end zone three times despite having 3 turnovers that probably cost us a win. Against Dartmouth, Harvard did not score a TD despite having zero turnovers. Dartmouth’s defense is better. Defense wins games. Ergo...
Quid pro quo e pluribus unum ad astra per aspera etc etc etc.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2019, 03:12 PM
Quid pro quo e pluribus unum ad astra per aspera etc etc etc.
Illegitimum non carborundum, ipso facto!xdrunkyx

From the peerless Dog-Latin verse of Ten Thousand Men of Harvard.xnodx

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2019, 03:20 PM
The defensive blunder by Harvard was one of the worst I've ever seen. As someone mentioned, an ESPN guy standing on the sidelines picked it up on his phone and posted to twitter. After escaping a couple near sacks, the Dartmouth QB threw the ball barely to the TD line. There were 4 or 5 Harvard defenders at the front of the end zone, some Dartmouth receivers behind them. If they had just stood there with their hands behind them the ball would have bounced off one of them, fallen to the ground, and never reached the Dartmouth players. Instead one of the Harvard defenders popped the ball up and over his head like a volleyball setter facing away from the net, beyond the reach of his teammates and into the arms of a Dartmouth receiver. I wonder if this is part of the "eye test" we've been hearing about in the "Just how Great is the Ivy League" threads we've been seeing on AGS so frequently?

Son of Eli
November 3rd, 2019, 03:23 PM
The defensive blunder by Harvard was one of the worst I've ever seen. As someone mentioned, an ESPN guy standing on the sidelines picked it up on his phone and posted to twitter. After escaping a couple near sacks, the Dartmouth QB threw the ball barely to the TD line. There were 4 or 5 Harvard defenders at the front of the end zone, some Dartmouth receivers behind them. If they had just stood there with their hands behind them the ball would have bounced off them, fallen to the ground and never reached the Dartmouth players. Instead one of the Harvard defenders popped the ball up and over his head like a volleyball setter facing away from the net, beyond the reach of his teammates and into the arms of a Dartmouth receiver. I wonder if this is part of the "eye test" we've been hearing about in the "Just how Great is the Ivy League" threads we've been seeing on AGS so frequently?

Stupid mistakes happen at every level. Just watch any blooper reel.

cx500d
November 3rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
The defensive blunder by Harvard was one of the worst I've ever seen. As someone mentioned, an ESPN guy standing on the sidelines picked it up on his phone and posted to twitter. After escaping a couple near sacks, the Dartmouth QB threw the ball barely to the TD line. There were 4 or 5 Harvard defenders at the front of the end zone, some Dartmouth receivers behind them. If they had just stood there with their hands behind them the ball would have bounced off one of them, fallen to the ground, and never reached the Dartmouth players. Instead one of the Harvard defenders popped the ball up and over his head like a volleyball setter facing away from the net, beyond the reach of his teammates and into the arms of a Dartmouth receiver. I wonder if this is part of the "eye test" we've been hearing about in the "Just how Great is the Ivy League" threads we've been seeing on AGS so frequently?

that would have worked if they were holding a couple 25’s of Bud Light, but alas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lrxglOI1qQ

Sader87
November 3rd, 2019, 04:05 PM

Harvard 31 HC 21
HC 13 UNH 10

You do the math..... :)

Bisonoline
November 3rd, 2019, 05:10 PM

And the Ivys are the smart league????xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2019, 05:39 PM
And the Ivys are the smart league????xthumbsupx
Harvard's RB didn't look very smart either when they had the ball inside the Dartmouth 10 with less than 90 seconds and he ran OB instead of falling down in bounds to let the clock run and force Dartmouth to use another TO. Might not have made a difference since Dartmouth ended the game with the TO that boneheaded play saved them still in their pocket but that last play was snapped with 6 seconds left on the clock. Even if they were able to bleed just a few more seconds off the clock before Dartmouth used that timeout it might've made a difference.

Go Green
November 3rd, 2019, 05:49 PM
Stupid mistakes happen at every level. Just watch any blooper reel.

One of my favorites was a few years back when Holy Cross had a fourth-and-long in no-man's land (like the Dartmouth 38) and opted to take a shot in the end zone.

The Dartmouth DB intercepted the ball and landed on the Dartmouth one-yard line. Had he just batted the ball down, we would have taken over on downs at our 38 yard line but instead got the ball our own one. The DB got his interception, but also a talking-to on the sidelines from both Teevens and our secondary coach.