PDA

View Full Version : Will North Dakota football be eliminated?

favorite football fan
November 1st, 2019, 07:39 PM
A new president is being interviewed at the University of North Dakota. Of six finalists, it appears that one of them may be interested in eliminating football.

As per the article:

De-emphasis is a healthy step, Staben said. But when asked whether other presidents should make a move like the one he took at Idaho, he offered an unconventional recommendation. “I think,” he said, “they should seriously consider eliminating football.”

The entire story can be found here: https://www.chronicle.com/article/80-Years-Ago-a-Football/247152

Laker
November 1st, 2019, 07:54 PM
Well, if he isn't eliminated with that statement, he should be.

F'N Hawks
November 1st, 2019, 08:02 PM
Quite the leap trying to relate what the article actually said to UND.

ngineer
November 1st, 2019, 08:07 PM

Yep! Even if he believes it. Isn't there an adage about 'knowing your audience?"

Baron Sardonicus
November 1st, 2019, 08:36 PM
The Chronicle editors like to be bad little boys and rant about the evils of football. They have subscriptions to sell.

Anti-football sentiment is nothing new. Almost a century ago, Spright Dowell was forced to resign as president of Auburn University after the football team suffered a winless season. He was subsequently hired as Mercer's president.

Mercer dropped football at the onset of WWII. As one story goes, Dowell said he would resign if Mercer ever brought the sport back.

For the record, Dowell died in 1963.

bonarae
November 2nd, 2019, 12:35 AM
The Chronicle editors like to be bad little boys and rant about the evils of football. They have subscriptions to sell.

Anti-football sentiment is nothing new. Almost a century ago, Spright Dowell was forced to resign as president of Auburn University after the football team suffered a winless season. He was subsequently hired as Mercer's president.

Mercer dropped football at the onset of WWII. As one story goes, Dowell said he would resign if Mercer ever brought the sport back.

For the record, Dowell died in 1963.

Remember John Silber? Stuart Rabinowitz? The UChicago president during the Great Depression (I am too lazy to Google his name)? The UOP president in the early 1990s?

Thundar
November 2nd, 2019, 06:14 AM
My god, no way they eliminate football

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2019, 06:57 AM

Poor candidate for sure.

Football will never be eliminated at UND.

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2019, 08:49 AM
Considering the ****storm caused by their elimination of swimming, diving, and golf to eliminate football would cause nothing short of, to quote my favorite trailer park supervisor, a ****-tsunami.

POD Knows
November 2nd, 2019, 08:56 AM
The women's sports they would have to drop in order to stay in Title IX compliance would be the real killer up there if they dropped football. Maybe they could add Lacrosse, it is sort of like hockey and plays into the strength of their athletic profile. xsmiley_wix

Laker
November 2nd, 2019, 08:57 AM
Considering the ****storm caused by their elimination of swimming, diving, and golf to eliminate football would cause nothing short of, to quote my favorite trailer park supervisor, a ****-tsunami.

And baseball and women's hockey. I think wrestling got canned a while back.